• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Air Pollution - what is worse ? Forest Fires or Fumes from Refinery Chimminey

g3abc

Alfrescian
Loyal
hello all,

What really is worse, in terms of damage to human cells - the seasonal Indonesia Forest Fire micro soot, blowing into Singapore, or the constant 24hour emission of refinery exhaust, that comes out of the refineries in Pulau Bukom, Jurong Island ?

Depending on the South West and North East seasonally winds,...certain housing estates smells chemical odours,...cocoa favours,..rotton eggy smell from respective industry here.

And not forgetting the soot from container ship funnels, that occasionally blows into some Sentosa Properties,..and are the exhaust fumes from aircrafts approaching / leaving Changi Airport, toxic ?

And last, but not least,....there is the occasional chemical odour, suspected from the industry in Pasir Gudang,..opposite Sembawang (and again sooooo close to the Naval and SHipyards,..expulsing dirt into the air,...)

And even before the haze,..when I walk along the Orchard Road pedestrian ways,..often I smell stench,..like brokened-sewer pipes,..and stale cooking oils,...

And Singapore still tries to mask all - by increasing cocooned mechanical air-conditioning,..which utimately adds to accelerated Global Warming.

Am I wrong, right or left ?

Thank You

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And we pay multi-millions to a chobolan Parliament who cannot even resolve such simple matter, and blame this blame that.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find the burning of incense/joss papers the worst culprit of all-although I hail from a traditional Confucian /Taoist family.
The pappy even provide bins for them to do so although many still prefer to burn it in the open and litter the whole neighbourhood.
The burning of joss/incense papers should be restricted to places of worships or designated areas in each neighbourhood(eg CC, RC's) .
Do they have the political will to do so?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who cares about potential health hazards to peasants when profit maximization and economic growth can be achieved? :rolleyes:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The worst off are those who are working in contact or close proximity to chemicals and exposed to them. Spray painters (despite the masks), mixers and process chemists are what I'm referring to. Next comes those who use them, like construction laborers, factory workers. However, just waiting at roadside bus stops is exposure that is bad enough (cumulative). By comparison, I don't think cigarette smokers are that bad off, it's quite tame compared to industrial and/or auto fumes.

Chees!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The worst off are those who are working in contact or close proximity to chemicals and exposed to them. Spray painters (despite the masks), mixers and process chemists are what I'm referring to. Next comes those who use them, like construction laborers, factory workers. However, just waiting at roadside bus stops is exposure that is bad enough (cumulative). By comparison, I don't think cigarette smokers are that bad off, it's quite tame compared to industrial and/or auto fumes.

Chees!

That's why few people want to work in Jurong Island. And even if they work there, it won't be for a long time.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why few people want to work in Jurong Island. And even if they work there, it won't be for a long time.

Yeah, I suppose working in there sucks, besides exposure to carcinogenic inhalants, the entire island is a fire hazard with flamable gases everywhere. I prefer to be a botanist or gardener working in Botanical Gardens.

Cheers!