• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Air Fryer...Is it that Good?

AhGirl

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To me... this is a gimmick... works like a small convection oven ...

My mum ask me to buy one... but the more i look at it.. it is just a small oven technology...

Any one has this device? Worth buying?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Philips airfryer is good stuff. Make damn good fried chicken ...crispy skin and juicy meat. Can eat friend chicken everyday with no guilt as so much oil is drained off the chicken during the cooking process.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

My mum ask me to buy one... but the more i look at it.. it is just a small oven technology...

Used less than 10 times almost 5 month ago. You need to practise else food tnda to overdry or undercook

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Have one at home, bought it at a sale, other than the no oil frying, it takes time to cook. The compartment storing the food is rather small, as oppose to the size of the air fryer. A good convenient cooker, it is, rather than that, the conventional oven, & whatever is still the best.

Bought it at a sale...:p

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damn good gadget ever invented..... I paif $348 but now can be gotten for $200+ wiht
Cooks with most of fats n oil strippwed from the meat without affect its taste. Many ways of using it... the sky is the limit - just figure out. I saves you electricity too....... make curry puffs better than original && you tiao too

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Blessed is the ignorant

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Philips airfryer is good stuff. Make damn good fried chicken ...crispy skin and juicy meat. Can eat friend chicken everyday with no guilt as so much oil is drained off the chicken during the cooking process.
what about the smells/fumes?
any?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From what I've read you still need oil if you want to fry chips with an Air Fryer. However it is more efficient & requires less oil.

Probably a good idea to use a healthier oil e.g. coconut oil

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You fry anything that produces smell, it will smell...have you ever cooked?? air fry fish...you get FISHY smell...

You will have to buy PURE COCONUT oil, do you know, it is very & I would say, extremely difficult to find Pure coconut oil...I have tried all the neighbourhood shops including the ones, specially selling food for Indians, even the Malays one, looking for pure coconut oil. Not the low grade type nor the ones, they rub on their hair etc...

When yo do find them....you 1 litre is expensive too...& you ask the Indian shops they tell you, pure coconut oil hard to get these days..

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
overpriced!!!!!!
a new brand "cubic shaped" sold in recent food and electronic fairs here went for S$199.
identical brand and model sold in hk for as low as HK$488.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You will have to buy PURE COCONUT oil, do you know, it is very & I would say, extremely difficult to find Pure coconut oil...I have tried all the neighbourhood shops including the ones, specially selling food for Indians, even the Malays one, looking for pure coconut oil. Not the low grade type nor the ones, they rub on their hair etc...

When yo do find them....you 1 litre is expensive too...& you ask the Indian shops they tell you, pure coconut oil hard to get these days..

I only use Extra virgin coconut oil for all my cooking. Been using the Nutiva brand which I get from iHerb, http://www.iherb.com/search?sug=nutiva raw coconut&kw=nutiva vir&rank=3#p=1

I avoid heavy frying because it is unhealthy. Use it to fry eggs, pancakes,....

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what about the smells/fumes?
any?

Smell is not that overpowering.

Fumes, not that much ....you get that if you have hot oil dripping onto hot oil collected in the tray. The workaround is to throw out the oil after you cook each batch. The amount of oil collected from airfrying just 4 pieces of chicken is shocking. Now, I eat my fried chicken with no fear.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
overpriced!!!!!!
a new brand "cubic shaped" sold in recent food and electronic fairs here went for S$199.
identical brand and model sold in hk for as low as HK$488.

I have seen those copycat ...the tray is different. And I believe the patent is on the tray ...that's why the air circulation in the Philips model works.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From what I've read you still need oil if you want to fry chips with an Air Fryer. However it is more efficient & requires less oil.

Probably a good idea to use a healthier oil e.g. coconut oil

One tablespoon of oil is all you need. Fresh fries tastes so much better than the frozen types.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smell is not that overpowering.Fumes, not that much ....you get that if you have hot oil dripping onto hot oil collected in the tray. The workaround is to throw out the oil after you cook each batch. The amount of oil collected from airfrying just 4 pieces of chicken is shocking. Now, I eat my fried chicken with no fear.
How do you season the chicken? Battered in flour to get the crispy effect?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One tablespoon of oil is all you need. Fresh fries tastes so much better than the frozen types.

Can't afford to eat french fries because it costs too much health wise:(

Even if you use fresh potatoes & coconut oil, there is a problem with acrylamide which is a carcinogen. It is formed when potatoes are cooked at high temperatures

SockPuppet

Alfrescian
Loyal

How much does the airfryer cost? where to buy?