• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ah Tiongs offended, says Netflix's 3 Body Problem makes China look fucked up

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The show opens with a harrowing scene depicting Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution, which consumed China in bloodshed and chaos for a decade from 1966. On the campus of the prestigious Tsinghua University in Beijing, a physics professor is brutally beaten to death on stage by his own students and denounced by his colleague and wife, while his daughter Ye Wenjie (played by Zine Tseng) watches in horror.

3bp-101-unit-05865rc-jpg-3bp-101-unit-05865rc.webp

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/netflix-blockbuster-3-body-problem-102411987.html

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
‘Flat and shallow’: Netflix’s 3 Body Problem divides viewers in China
Netflix’s 3 Body Problem.
Reaction in China to Netflix’s 3 Body Problem has been mixed but widespread. Photograph: Ed Miller/Netflix
Eight-episode series based on Liu Cixin novels triggers accusations of ‘Americanisation’ of a Chinese story

Netflix’s big-budget adaptation of Three-Body Problem, a series of novels by the Chinese author Liu Cixin, has divided opinion on Chinese social media.

The eight-episode series, 3 Body Problem, was released in full on Netflix on Thursday. It is based on the first book in Liu’s trilogy, an ambitious sci-fi series spanning civilisation from the 1960s to the end of humanity.

The TV series was co-created for Netflix by the Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss, and the True Blood writer Alexander Woo, working with the director Derek Tsang.

Reaction in China has been mixed but widespread, even though Netflix is not accessible behind the country’s firewall. By Friday morning, a 3 Body Problem hashtag on the microblogging platform Weibo had been read 2.23bn times and discussed 1.424m times.

Some have objected to Netflix’s taking of a largely Chinese story and moving a lot of the action to the UK, with an international cast. Others criticised the gender swap of the main character (although GQ reported the idea had been suggested by Liu to the showrunners).

The series creators have defended the casting. Netflix described 3 Body Problem as “purposefully global in nature”, spanning continents, cultures and timelines.

“We wanted people from all over the world,” Benioff said. “We tried to make this a very diverse, international cast to represent the idea that this isn’t just one country’s struggle – it’s a global struggle to survive.”

Some of the criticism has been embedded in geopolitical animosity towards the US, attracting nationalistic backlash and accusations of Americanisation of the story.

“Flat and shallow, the difficult concept of science fiction is roughly transformed into a simple visual spectacle,” said one commenter on Weibo, accusing the creators of “orientalising” the Chinese background story and making a Hollywood story of western heroism instead.

Many Chinese viewers are likening it to a 2023 Chinese adaptation, produced by the Chinese tech company Tencent. Those who favour the latter have described Netflix’s work as “General Tso’s chicken” – a Chinese dish served in the US and rarely seen in China – compared to Tencent’s “banquet”.

Tencent’s series was released to US streaming audiences last month and is considered to be a more faithful adaptation of the books, albeit at a lengthy 30 episodes.

There were also social media discussions of the fact that Netflix has more creative and political freedom. “The biggest advantage Netflix’s version of Three-Body Problem has over the domestic version is no censorship, no taboos,” wrote one viewer.

The Netflix series opens with a scene of brutality: a Communist party struggle session during the Cultural Revolution targeting the father of the main character. The Tencent version depicts that time but is more muted.

The director of the Netflix series told Radio Free Asia it was becoming increasingly difficult to portray the period of the Cultural Revolution in China.

“But it is an important part of history and, if we are honest about it, we can all learn from it,” Tsang said. “It is very important to show everyone how ridiculous that period was.”

The books also treat the topic differently. The English translation of the first novel opens with the struggle session, while the Chinese version buries that scene in the middle, a decision Liu and his publishers reportedly made to make the book less politically sensitive in China.

Some viewers are happy to see the story shared with a broader audience. A Chinese film review site, Mtszimu, said the adaptation was “not only a new interpretation of Liu Cixin’s original work but also an important contribution to global science-fiction literature”.

One Weibo commenter said: “Everyone has a version of this interpretation in their own imagination. My personal attitude is more encouraging, after all, Three-Body Problem is the IP that we created. Now it goes to the world. I hope that this hit will have a greater echo and resonance.”

Chi Hui Lin contributed to this report

Explore more on these topics

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Netflix Is In A Bind With ‘3 Body Problem’ Season 2
Follow
Mar 23, 2024,01:01pm EDT
3 body
3 Body Problem NETFLIX
Netflix has just debuted its sci-fi epic, 3 Body Problem, this past week, and it’s landed at #2 on the top 10 list in the US. But if you’ve binged through it and finished the show, you’ll know that it ends on a significant cliffhanger, one that demands a season 2. But will it get one? This is Netflix we’re talking about, so there are some things to consider.

It feels like Netflix may end up a bit between a rock and a hard place, given the show’s initial performance here, who’s involved, budgets and other considerations.

The show is an adaptation of The Three-Body Problem, the famed book by Cixin Liu, but one that is a part of a trilogy, which also includes The Dark Forest and Death’s End. As such, the three pieces, much like the three-body problem itself, are meant to fit together and you can’t really just have one or two without the others. When you commit to season 1 of a show like this, you in theory, should be signed up for three seasons. But Netflix did not announce that ahead of time, nor have we seen any sort of day-one renewal here for the show.

This is a very, very important project for Netflix, a service that generally speaking does not commit to all that many high profile, expensive sci-fi projects give that they are so high-risk and expensive. You have Stranger Things, obviously, but Netflix has mostly left sci-fi to Apple TV+. Here, this is an extremely important project given that A) it’s such an acclaimed sci-fi book and B) Two of its three creators are David Benioff and DB Weiss of Game of Thrones fame. Expectations are high.

3 Body Problem

Rotten Tomatoes

Reception is…fine? But only fine. Critics are giving it a 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is good not great for the higher-skewing scores of TV (Shogun has a 99% on Hulu right now, X-Men 97 a 100%, even Paramount Plus’s Halo show has an 89%). User scores are not terribly good. It has a 64% from viewers, while something like say, The Gentleman on Netflix may have a lower 70% critic score, but a much higher audience score of an 86%. And ultimately, audiences are what matter.

3 Body Problem has also debuted behind Homicide New York, a true crime show, on Netflix’s US Top 10 list. It’s early, but the sign of a really strong show is usually a #1 debut, and if not, well, you need word of mouth to spread to get it up there. But I’m not sure how “virally recommended” 3 Body Problem is going to be given its exceedingly high concepts. There’s also cost. A show lower down the list might get renewed if it’s cheap and watched enough. But a sprawling, sci-fi epic like 3 Body Problem? That has to perform extremely well.

Forbes Innovation01:12UFC’s Dana White Cuts Fighter Immediately After He Bit An Opponent‘The Invisible Shield’ Aims To Makes Public Health More VisibleApple’s Latest AI Move Is Vital To Find iPhone SuccessApple Documents Confirm Desirable MacBook Pro Upgrade‘Double Solar Flare’ Sees Sun Wake Up Weeks Before Total Solar Eclipse

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tencent already made a 30 part series last year which can be watched on YouTube. Bad acting and unnecessary long cut scenes aside, the story and concept of 三体 is pretty good. Gonna watch the Netflix adaptation to compare

bigozt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, the stage side banners says, "destroy old world", and "create new world". For a new world, all Commies must die.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tencent already made a 30 part series last year which can be watched on YouTube. Bad acting and unnecessary long cut scenes aside, the story and concept of 三体 is pretty good. Gonna watch the Netflix adaptation to compare
I read the trilogy. It's a masterpiece that got me hooked throughout (this coming from one who hardly reads sci-fi) and Liu thoroughly deserves the Hugo. He's probably among the 3 greatest living sci-fi writers.

Haven't watched either of the 2 versions though; just feel it's going to be a tough act adapting it to the small screen (I've been disappointed many times but screen adaptations of good novels). Liu has some input in the Netflix version as a consultant, but whether it lives up his conception of the entire series is another matter.

MaximiLian

Alfrescian
Loyal
finished all 8 episodez. ze best part of tis series iz ye wenjie n her backstory. ze madness of cultural revolution drove her 2 press ze button.

overall 6.9/10. btw 1st 2 episodes directed by eric tsang’s son.

bonus clip>>> :biggrin:

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The show opens with a harrowing scene depicting Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution, which consumed China in bloodshed and chaos for a decade from 1966. On the campus of the prestigious Tsinghua University in Beijing, a physics professor is brutally beaten to death on stage by his own students and denounced by his colleague and wife, while his daughter Ye Wenjie (played by Zine Tseng) watches in horror.

3bp-101-unit-05865rc-jpg-3bp-101-unit-05865rc.webp

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/netflix-blockbuster-3-body-problem-102411987.html

Just watched the first 3 episodes..Netflix adaption is damn tokong and more high tech..the VR scenes are super realistic and much better than the original tiong version.

In the cultural revolution scene, Netflix is merely showing a realistic scenario which those kum gong glass heart tiongs wouldn't want to know on how their parents and grandparents died under the evil Mao.

6FydvhQ.png

Last edited:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

The problem with Netflix’s Three-Body Problem​

It represents the chowmein-ification of Chinese culture​

• 31 March 2024, 9:15am
3-body-problem-showrunners-reveal-one-sene-caused-tv-series-release-date-delay.webp
(Photo: Netflix)
How many modern Chinese books, TV shows or films do you count among your favourites? Perhaps Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon comes to mind, or maybe Crazy Rich Asians, or Jung Chang’s Wild Swans. If you don’t have many more beyond that, I don’t blame you. For many reasons (not least the Chinese Communist party’s Big Brother approach to anything resembling disruptive creativity in the arts), stories from Chinese writers rarely break through in the West. Sometimes it’s a question of budget; sometimes one of taste; and sometimes it comes down to language, where the often-playful nuances of Chinese are simply lost in translation.
Netflix’s version was released last week, but it has flopped. I can hazard a guess why
That’s what makes the science fiction trilogy Remembrance of Earth’s Past so remarkable. You might know it by a more famous name: The Three Body Problem. Written by the Shanxi-born novelist Liu Cixin, the story begins with a string of mysterious and gruesome suicides of physicists around the world. Over the course of the trilogy, Liu sketches a dark and grand universe, tackling some of science’s most philosophical questions: such as, if the universe is so big, why haven’t we come across any aliens yet?
The books found huge success in a Chinese market increasingly hungry for fiction, before going international. In 2021, Netflix began production on a $160 million adaptation, its most expensive first season. Netflix was directly competing with the Chinese tech giant Tencent, who released a much lower budget adaptation last year (roughly $10 million).
Netflix’s version was released last week, but it has flopped. I can hazard a guess why.
Netflix has judged that its viewers would only want to watch something with a cast that would tick most of the boxes on a diversity and inclusion checklist. So the writers chopped and changed Liu’s mainly Chinese cast of characters to include a young female Latina entrepreneur in nanotechnology; a black physics research assistant; an Indian army officer and two token Brits. And who are these writers? Only David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who screwed up the final season of HBO’s Game of Thrones five years ago.

Francis Young

England’s forgotten Easter traditions​

GettyImages-1438667516.jpg

The blatant wokery need not have been jarring, but it was so poorly done. The storylines that Benioff and Weiss have added themselves are almost always one-dimensional and dumbed down, geared towards a cheap laugh. In one scene, two young female scientists bat off a flirty stranger by stating their job titles using long words designed to sound sciencey (‘I design self-assembling synthetic polymer nanofibers’, one says, ‘I’m a senior researcher in the Theoretical Physics group. I’m doing a metastudy analysing the results of particle accelerator experiments around the world’, says the other). The implication was that he was a misogynistic pig for even daring to say hi.
The story has also been rewritten so that it now happens in the UK, not China. Not because filming was impossible inside China (they filmed in Tibet and Shenzhen) but because the writers seem to think that a story unfolding in a foreign place with a foreign language would be too difficult for the western audience. The popularity of South Korean films and shows (Parasite, Squid Game, etc) should surely have disabused TV studios of that assumption by now. Boon Jong-Ho, the director of Parasite, once mocked the ‘one-inch tall barrier of subtitles’. Benioff and Weiss still don’t seem to be over that hurdle.
For some Chinese fans like myself, this particularly feels like a missed opportunity. Remembrance of Earth’s Past was important to us not just because it was a good story, but because it demonstrated that Chinese writers could be just as creative and free-minded as their western counterparts. Liu’s books managed to break through that great linguistic and cultural wall, and the Netflix contract was an opportunity to bring it even more into the western mainstream. Instead, the adaptation was de-Sinicised, and defanged as a result. On Chinese social media, one commenter compared it to ‘General Tso’s chicken’, an ersatz Chinese dish catering to western tastes.
The result is a show that feels schizophrenic, veering in quality between scene to scene. In the moments where the adaptation sticks close to Liu’s original narrative, the characters are sophisticated and the Mandarin dialogue authentic, such as the opening scene where a protagonist watches her father being beaten to death by teenage Red Guards. In the parts where Benioff and Weiss have freelanced, it’s a different show entirely, a cheesy murder mystery with a crew of beautiful but brilliant heroes, perhaps a live-action spacey Scooby Doo.
Viewers who haven’t read the books might not understand why the show feels so bland and flat. The truth is that the Netflix adaptation does as much justice to Liu Cixin’s universe as chow mein does to real Chinese food. If you can get past the one-inch tall barrier, Tencent’s rather good adaptation is available on YouTube. And for the real connoisseur, just go straight to the books. You won’t regret it.
The Chinese version can be watched for free on YouTube:

Cindy Yu

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read the trilogy. It's a masterpiece that got me hooked throughout (this coming from one who hardly reads sci-fi) and Liu thoroughly deserves the Hugo. He's probably among the 3 greatest living sci-fi writers.

Haven't watched either of the 2 versions though; just feel it's going to be a tough act adapting it to the small screen (I've been disappointed many times but screen adaptations of good novels). Liu has some input in the Netflix version as a consultant, but whether it lives up his conception of the entire series is another matter.
I'm also not a sci-fi fan but I like sci-fi movies that tie in with real science. The Martian was the last sci-fi movie I rate highly.

The Tencent adaptation was good but I admit some of the VR game sequences flew over my head. That's why I want to watch the Netflix to see how they tell the story

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just watched the first episode and left me wondering what the fuss was all about. The struggle session at the open seemed like a picnic compared to Chen Kaige's Farewell my concubine. The Chinese cultural revolution was central to the plot of the whole story and it led to the laokuaybu scientist's decision.

The media is just hyping up the people's supposed response just to get more audience

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The problem with Netflix’s Three-Body Problem​

It represents the chowmein-ification of Chinese culture​

• 31 March 2024, 9:15am
3-body-problem-showrunners-reveal-one-sene-caused-tv-series-release-date-delay.webp
(Photo: Netflix)
How many modern Chinese books, TV shows or films do you count among your favourites? Perhaps Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon comes to mind, or maybe Crazy Rich Asians, or Jung Chang’s Wild Swans. If you don’t have many more beyond that, I don’t blame you. For many reasons (not least the Chinese Communist party’s Big Brother approach to anything resembling disruptive creativity in the arts), stories from Chinese writers rarely break through in the West. Sometimes it’s a question of budget; sometimes one of taste; and sometimes it comes down to language, where the often-playful nuances of Chinese are simply lost in translation.

That’s what makes the science fiction trilogy Remembrance of Earth’s Past so remarkable. You might know it by a more famous name: The Three Body Problem. Written by the Shanxi-born novelist Liu Cixin, the story begins with a string of mysterious and gruesome suicides of physicists around the world. Over the course of the trilogy, Liu sketches a dark and grand universe, tackling some of science’s most philosophical questions: such as, if the universe is so big, why haven’t we come across any aliens yet?
The books found huge success in a Chinese market increasingly hungry for fiction, before going international. In 2021, Netflix began production on a $160 million adaptation, its most expensive first season. Netflix was directly competing with the Chinese tech giant Tencent, who released a much lower budget adaptation last year (roughly $10 million).
Netflix’s version was released last week, but it has flopped. I can hazard a guess why.
Netflix has judged that its viewers would only want to watch something with a cast that would tick most of the boxes on a diversity and inclusion checklist. So the writers chopped and changed Liu’s mainly Chinese cast of characters to include a young female Latina entrepreneur in nanotechnology; a black physics research assistant; an Indian army officer and two token Brits. And who are these writers? Only David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who screwed up the final season of HBO’s Game of Thrones five years ago.

Francis Young

England’s forgotten Easter traditions​

GettyImages-1438667516.jpg

The blatant wokery need not have been jarring, but it was so poorly done. The storylines that Benioff and Weiss have added themselves are almost always one-dimensional and dumbed down, geared towards a cheap laugh. In one scene, two young female scientists bat off a flirty stranger by stating their job titles using long words designed to sound sciencey (‘I design self-assembling synthetic polymer nanofibers’, one says, ‘I’m a senior researcher in the Theoretical Physics group. I’m doing a metastudy analysing the results of particle accelerator experiments around the world’, says the other). The implication was that he was a misogynistic pig for even daring to say hi.
The story has also been rewritten so that it now happens in the UK, not China. Not because filming was impossible inside China (they filmed in Tibet and Shenzhen) but because the writers seem to think that a story unfolding in a foreign place with a foreign language would be too difficult for the western audience. The popularity of South Korean films and shows (Parasite, Squid Game, etc) should surely have disabused TV studios of that assumption by now. Boon Jong-Ho, the director of Parasite, once mocked the ‘one-inch tall barrier of subtitles’. Benioff and Weiss still don’t seem to be over that hurdle.
For some Chinese fans like myself, this particularly feels like a missed opportunity. Remembrance of Earth’s Past was important to us not just because it was a good story, but because it demonstrated that Chinese writers could be just as creative and free-minded as their western counterparts. Liu’s books managed to break through that great linguistic and cultural wall, and the Netflix contract was an opportunity to bring it even more into the western mainstream. Instead, the adaptation was de-Sinicised, and defanged as a result. On Chinese social media, one commenter compared it to ‘General Tso’s chicken’, an ersatz Chinese dish catering to western tastes.
The result is a show that feels schizophrenic, veering in quality between scene to scene. In the moments where the adaptation sticks close to Liu’s original narrative, the characters are sophisticated and the Mandarin dialogue authentic, such as the opening scene where a protagonist watches her father being beaten to death by teenage Red Guards. In the parts where Benioff and Weiss have freelanced, it’s a different show entirely, a cheesy murder mystery with a crew of beautiful but brilliant heroes, perhaps a live-action spacey Scooby Doo.
Viewers who haven’t read the books might not understand why the show feels so bland and flat. The truth is that the Netflix adaptation does as much justice to Liu Cixin’s universe as chow mein does to real Chinese food. If you can get past the one-inch tall barrier, Tencent’s rather good adaptation is available on YouTube. And for the real connoisseur, just go straight to the books. You won’t regret it.
The Chinese version can be watched for free on YouTube:

Cindy Yu

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-problem-with-netflixs-three-body-problem/

Surprise, surprise, a fucking Tiong wrote the article. Now stealing a living at some trashy Brit tabloid.

Cindy Yu is an assistant editor of The Spectator and presenter of our Chinese Whispers podcast. She was brought up in Nanjing. She tweets at @CindyXiaodanYu