• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

After years of ruling, sembawang ended up with thousands of poor residents

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
1,500 low-income Sembawang residents to receive comprehensive eye care
Mr Khaw Boon Wan giving out spectacles at Fuchun Community Club yesterday. Photo: People's Association
Published: 4:11 AM, March 23, 2015

SINGAPORE — About 1,500 low-income residents of Sembawang GRC are set to benefit from a community-driven project covering all aspects of eye care, including free eye screenings, spectacles and cataract surgeries.

The SPECtacular Experience @ Sembawang initiative, organised by the People’s Association and grassroots organisations in Sembawang GRC, will see 11 private-sector partners contributing to a workgroup in their different areas of expertise, including complimentary eye screening, eyewear sponsorship and pro-bono cataract surgery on a case-by-case basis.

The workgroup is part of the Project We Care Network, an informal network of private-sector CEOs and business leaders that encourages corporates to initiate meaningful programmes to help the less privileged.

At the initiative’s launch at Fuchun Community Club yesterday, 120 residents who previously had their eyes checked by volunteer staff and students from Ngee Ann Polytechnic were presented with free spectacles.

Said Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan, who is also adviser to Sembawang Grassroots Organisations: “The SPECtacular Experience is an exemplary collaborative partnership where multiple community partners, including competing optical outlets, come together to promote a good cause: Helping our needy regain their vision.

“Many residents will improve their quality of life, because the participating partners care enough to volunteer their time, expertise and resources for a meaningful cause.”

A resident who hopes to qualify for the pro-bono cataract surgery is security officer Said Bin Awang Chee. He has two special-needs daughters and is the sole breadwinner in his family at the age of 69.

However, his eyesight has deteriorated with age and he has been unable to get a cataract operation because of financial constraints.

“I feared my vision would deteriorate further over time, especially since I have to strain my eyes to do normal activities, including performing my duty as a security officer. But through this programme, I hope to get the surgery needed and recover my vision again,” he said. CHANNEL NEWSASIA

http://www.todayonline.com/singapor...wang-residents-receive-comprehensive-eye-care

instead of progress peace and prosperity, they ended up with regression, refractory and retrenched.