• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Adelphi mall kenna sweep - lawyers and chief justices have to wank at home now

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I missed Colombo Court. The building then was vibrant as it's the house of law firms. I remember there was a boutique on the ground floor called Episode as well as a coffee house. Don't understand why they decided to build shops instead of offices with Adelphi.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
We provided the authorities with the necessary intelligence about vice activities in the area.

In order to provide the intelligence, you and the other grassroots vigilantes must done some 'special' kind of patrolling and inside surveillance. Great job! :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I missed Colombo Court. The building then was vibrant as it's the house of law firms. I remember there was a boutique on the ground floor called Episode as well as a coffee house. Don't understand why they decided to build shops instead of offices with Adelphi.

Before Colombo Court was built, that part of North Bridge had plenty of small shops which were family owned. Then Colombo Court was built & some of these smaller shops moved to Colombo Court e.g. Chusan an electronics store.

Then the building started to house more gov't offices e.g. the NRIC office. Then the gov't demolished it & built the courts there

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before Colombo Court was built, that part of North Bridge had plenty of small shops which were family owned. Then Colombo Court was built & some of these smaller shops moved to Colombo Court e.g. Chusan an electronics store.

Then the building started to house more gov't offices e.g. the NRIC office. Then the gov't demolished it & built the courts there

There was also Cortina Departmental Store, if I remember correctly.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was also Cortina Departmental Store, if I remember correctly.

Cortina Departmental Store, Kwang Sia Records Shop....where we would buy our Records ... I go to Adelphi regularly, for hifi & my vinyls, but I rarely roam there after dark...or go for "breakfast" or "quick lunch" or "supper" items....I thought, some years back they closed down the "special services joints?....you mean it mushroomed? they must have 'protection' from the two "ashrams" next door?, "the Supreme Court" & "the Parliament"???

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Adelphi Mall always stumped me. It became a ghost town after the redevelopment. Prior to that it lot of things, offices, canteens, offices, shops etc. That junction is a known hub for shoppers - with Peninsula, Funan etc . You can't screw it up even if you tried. Only the Audio stores came back. It had similar design to Funan with a open centre ground floor but it did not work. The could even get enough tenants from day 1. Unlike most malls this one did not have an anchor tenant such as a supermarket, a popular chain store, a food court etc to attract customers or even window shoppers and diners. I think their subdivision did not allow large areas for an anchor tenant to take a large space.

I wonder who the develop and architects are?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Adelphi Mall always stumped me. It became a ghost town after the redevelopment. Prior to that it lot of things, offices, canteens, offices, shops etc. That junction is a known hub for shoppers - with Peninsula, Funan etc . You can't screw it up even if you tried. Only the Audio stores came back. It had similar design to Funan with a open centre ground floor but it did not work. The could even get enough tenants from day 1. Unlike most malls this one did not have an anchor tenant such as a supermarket, a popular chain store, a food court etc to attract customers or even window shoppers and diners. I think their subdivision did not allow large areas for an anchor tenant to take a large space.

I wonder who the develop and architects are?

That area was the shopping centre of the past, my family ( parent's time) did their shopping there, I use to buy my shoes at was it white House or Horse Shoes Shop ran by an Indian....my annual leather shoes...then the tailors, spectacles....Metro Store, eat at Polar Cafe at High Street, with my club sandwiches & Magnolia Triangular Milk packet..later years, I shop around there too, when Emporium was around, Cortina Departmental Store, then buying Records (vinyls) from Kwang Sia & Dada...later Dada moved to Funan, & my optician Pin Pin too...the only shop that had been around that part of Singapore which is still around today is CHONG, the one that sells all sorts of things for bakery....I use to buys all sorts of electronics goods from high street, which used to be an electronic bazaar & St.Gregory Place...

It was a living, breathing, vibrant part of the city...till they sanitised it like now...."DEAD".

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are (were) considered lower to medium end whores. Not exorbitant.

I am quite surprised that these joints are present at The Adelphi Mall, where the Supreme Court is just next door, Parliament is down the road, The Treasury on the other side of High Street.

I go to The Adelphi very regular but I don't see them...I don't roam the basement...only sitting down at the cafe for a quick drink or a light bite...

To exist there, that long with so many government offices nearby that has high security clearance, they must have "protection" or many from these place, go there for "supper"....or a quick lunch?:rolleyes:

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In order to provide the intelligence, you and the other grassroots vigilantes must done some 'special' kind of patrolling and inside surveillance. Great job! :biggrin:
nah, it was more of intel-gathering and sifting through the trash for used condoms to hand over the evidence :eek:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many landlords were happy to rent out their premises to these sleazy joints because no one else would rent space in their shitty malls. That actually tells you where to hunt down those so-called massage parlours and shut them down. I hereby warn all of such massage parlours to get the fuck out of Joo Chiat, Jalan Besar, Orchard Towers, Little India and Chinatown before we move in and shutter their businesses.

Singapore is a God-fearing country and we won't tolerate this fine country becoming another sin city. God has destroyed Babylon, Sodom and Gomorrah for their idolatry and lust of the flesh. We wouldn't want to be next.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many landlords were happy to rent out their premises to these sleazy joints because no one else would rent space in their shitty malls. That actually tells you where to hunt down those so-called massage parlours and shut them down. I hereby warn all of such massage parlours to get the fuck out of Joo Chiat, Jalan Besar, Orchard Towers, Little India and Chinatown before we move in and shutter their businesses.

Singapore is a God-fearing country and we won't tolerate this fine country becoming another sin city. God has destroyed Babylon, Sodom and Gomorrah for their idolatry and lust of the flesh. We wouldn't want to be next.

But, we never hear any of the shitty landlords, having their shops seized or brought to court for prostitution & the procurement for sex right?...or they management of the mall or shopping centre being charged too, for 'looking the other way' right???

Singapore is God-fearing country?...ha ha ha ha....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That area was the shopping centre of the past, my family ( parent's time) did their shopping there, I use to buy my shoes at was it white House or Horse Shoes Shop ran by an Indian....my annual leather shoes...then the tailors, spectacles....Metro Store, eat at Polar Cafe at High Street, with my club sandwiches & Magnolia Triangular Milk packet..later years, I shop around there too, when Emporium was around, Cortina Departmental Store, then buying Records (vinyls) from Kwang Sia & Dada...later Dada moved to Funan, & my optician Pin Pin too...the only shop that had been around that part of Singapore which is still around today is CHONG, the one that sells all sorts of things for bakery....I use to buys all sorts of electronics goods from high street, which used to be an electronic bazaar & St.Gregory Place...

It was a living, breathing, vibrant part of the city...till they sanitised it like now...."DEAD".

Remember one of the stores was named Chusan where you could get electronics at a good price. It was a small street level store where part of Adelphi stands today In those days you could bargain & no one paid the list price. They did move to colombo court then eventually disappeared.

Across the street was Hock Lam Street which had decent wanton mee, spare parts soup, and sour plum juice. I think the sour plum juice & wanton mee stalls moved to the Hill Street food court. These stalls were kicked out when the Hill Street food centre was closed. Now that they have Funan, I wonder where the people around that area go for their lunch:confused:

I used to visit the Funan area because it wasn't so crowded but with it's closure there's one less place for me to go to:( I rarely visit downtown Orchard Rd because there is nothing for me there. I'd rather go to NEX or JB, or Bangkok:smile:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remember one of the stores was named Chusan where you could get electronics at a good price. It was a small street level store where part of Adelphi stands today In those days you could bargain & no one paid the list price. They did move to colombo court then eventually disappeared.

Across the street was Hock Lam Street which had decent wanton mee, spare parts soup, and sour plum juice. I think the sour plum juice & wanton mee stalls moved to the Hill Street food court. These stalls were kicked out when the Hill Street food centre was closed. Now that they have Funan, I wonder where the people around that area go for their lunch:confused:

I used to visit the Funan area because it wasn't so crowded but with it's closure there's one less place for me to go to:( I rarely visit downtown Orchard Rd because there is nothing for me there. I'd rather go to NEX or JB, or Bangkok:smile:

Lunch around there had became very expensive.....there used to be a very good food canteen at High street centre, selling Northern & Southern Indian food...it had one of the best naan, Tandori Chicken, Vegetarian food etc in town & there was the 1st Myanmar food stall, which I liked a kind of spicy Myanmar noodle...that place is now gone too. You can eat at Peninsular Shopping Centre ground floor, in the past the ' chye peng" "zi char" or their " freed bee hoon, noodle" etc was cheap & good including the drinks...after upgrading , as usual, prices went up...quality went down.
If you don't mind the Myanmar/Thai food at Peninsular Plaza, you can try...there is an Southern Indian, stall, whose Briyani, Mee Goreng etc...is not too bad...I saw a Food Republic at the new Capitol Centre....never went in...

Place of cheap eating around there is gone....where did the sour plum juice people went after they quit Hill Street Food centre...when younger I used to buy their sour plum juice in the bottle home...after drinking from them...

The food around there, they tell you are still affordable....say $5 at least upwards...btw Funan is being demolished at the moment..it closed on September 1 2016. Missed the Curry Chicken with bread & rice there, A&W, Corona Chicken ( they started there) & the small tiny cafe ran by Challenger on the top floor...where they have Hainanese cook with their daily different menu, food was delicious there...the one that was it Kopitiam took over or?...food is not that good & very expensive...

Last edited: