• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

a worrying trend...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
can't help but notice that a number of banks in Singapore have been getting Pinoy tele-marketeers to promote their credit cards, and it seems the Pinoys' sole objective is getting as many people as possible to sign up for the cards... they earn the commission, don't they?

as this is only the upstream phenomena, i can't help but wonder what could have happened when the number of credit card holders start to get into unnecessary debts, for we know that greed knows no bounds. as it cascades down to the bottom, there could be a possibility of endless miseries...

am i worrying too much? :confused::eek::confused::eek:

Dan Now

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Zh,

Its already happening. Banks are on the onslaught now giving away free Platinium subscriptions etc just to entice more people to sign up for it.

What is most irritating is that the banks can be so careless as to reveal our personal infos to the telemarketeers who might or might not be in Singapore.

The MAS should act to ensure that confidentiality clauses should be kept truly private at all times.

Dan

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
never mind la ...

greedy banks ... in ze n, wen ppl dun/cant pay dem, let dem kena sui-sui, den dey noe ...

wooozzz

Alfrescian
Loyal
A special christmas song dedicated to all for this recession .. Huat!

Latest Christmas carol for 2008!!!
Sing to the famous tune of the Christmas song...

You'd better watch out
You'd better not cry
You'd better keep cash
I'm telling you why:
Recession is coming to town.

It's hitting you once,
It's hitting you twice
It doesn't care if you've been careful and wise
Recession is coming to town

It's worthless if you've got shares
It's worthless if you've got bonds
It's safe when you've got cash in hand
So keep cash for goodness sake, HEY

You'd better watch out
You'd better not cry
You'd better keep cash
I'm telling you why:
Recession is coming to town!

Finance products are confusing
Finance products are so vague
The banks make you bear the cost of risk
So keep out for goodness sake, OH

You'd better watch out
You'd better not cry
You'd better keep cash
I'm telling you why:
Recession is coming to town.

:cool::cool:

Dan Now

Alfrescian
Loyal
For your reference :smile:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=640 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=640 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=414><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=414 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD height=42>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD background=/cna/print/images/line.gif height=4>
line.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=226></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=640 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=44>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Title[/FONT]</TD><TD width=10>:</TD><TD width=546>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Credit Counselling Singapore sees more bad debts from gambling [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=44>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By[/FONT]</TD><TD width=10>:</TD><TD width=546>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=44>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Date[/FONT]</TD><TD width=10>:</TD><TD width=546>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]27 October 2008 1709 hrs (SST) [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=44>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]URL[/FONT]</TD><TD width=10>:</TD><TD width=546>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/385700/1/.html [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=5 borderColorDark=#cccccc cellPadding=3 width=600 align=center borderColorLight=#cccccc border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SINGAPORE: More people are falling into bad debt as a result of gambling, and experts say given the current economic crunch, such cases may rise.

Out of the cases seen at the Credit Counselling Singapore, 27.8 per cent are due to gambling, and this figure has already surpassed last year's number of 23.9 per cent.

President of Credit Counselling Singapore, Kuo How Nam, said, "The last few years have been quite difficult for the lower income groups. Wages have stagnated and on top of that, they have been hit by inflation.

“So that could probably explain why people turn to gambling as a quick fix, hoping to get that lucky break that will change their fortune."

He says there is also a higher chance of bad debt as people take out lines of credit to chase their losses.

There are some one million credit card holders in Singapore in June 2008.

Of these, nearly four in 10 roll over their credit payment, meaning they pay a minimum amount of their outstanding bill each month.

This group is known as credit card revolvers.

Kuo said, "I see it coming back again. It was 35, now it's climbing back to 40 per cent so it could indicate increasing difficulty of Singaporeans in their consumption habits."

Since the market turmoil gripped the financial world, bankruptcy petitions have also gone up.

Statistics from the Law Ministry put the numbers at 290 in September, up from 240 in August.

Bankruptcy petition numbers have hovered between 200 to 300 in 2008, with the peak in July at 300 cases. But Credit Counselling Singapore says the numbers can rise further over the next few months, as the impact of the financial crisis hits closer to home. Job losses, it notes, will be a trigger point.

In fact, bankruptcy petitions hit a high at more than 5,400, during the SARS crisis in 2003.

Channel NewsAsia spoke to an ex-gambler, Tan, who got burnt playing the stock markets and hitting the jackpots. The former technician says his debt had snowballed to more than S$160,000.

He had seven creditors chasing him and he borrowed more from banks to finance his gambling habit.

But after seeing how his gambling affected his young son and wife, Tan approached Credit Counselling Singapore three years ago for help.

Tan said, "Whenever you hit the jackpot, you feel very good… because people will go around you and say today is your day and you're very lucky."

And he says there is danger in viewing some form of gambling as purely leisure activities.

A survey by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports has shown more Singaporeans consider 4D, TOTO, Singapore Sweep and social gambling like mahjong as recreational forms of gambling.

For example, of the 2,300 people polled, nearly four in 10 considered playing 4D as a leisure activity in 2005. In 2008, that number shot up to almost six in 10.

Tan said, "I've stopped playing mahjong for a very long time but yes, if you don't control your stakes, it can be quite devastating to the family."

Three years on, Tan says he has only about 15 per cent left of his debts to pay off, thanks to prudent spending and a debt management programme by Credit Counselling Singapore.

- CNA/yt
[/FONT]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copyright © 2008 MediaCorp Pte Ltd[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, you do not need rocket science to deduce the reason as to why so many foreigners are "encouraged" to work and settle here.

The paramount reason is the sinking birth rate and the increase in the number of aged Singaporeans coupled with the increase in the number of singles.

These younger foreigners will form a significant backbone to "support" the aged through taxes, etc etc.

Get it ??

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro Zhihau, you should only worry if you fall for the credit trap.

Spend within your means and you'll be fine :smile:

For those who did, let's hope they wake up before it's too late.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, you do not need rocket science to deduce the reason as to why so many foreigners are "encouraged" to work and settle here.

The paramount reason is the sinking birth rate and the increase in the number of aged Singaporeans coupled with the increase in the number of singles.

These younger foreigners will form a significant backbone to "support" the aged through taxes, etc etc.

Get it ??

The problem is not Singaporeans are not fucking enough. The problem is HDB fault. They make pigeon hole too small, people no privacy enough to fuck! If you no money to buy big pigeon hole, and cannot fuck in front of your parents/kids, you think got baby not?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
knn! can we sue the banks for releasing our personal details to these unscrupulous people. i receive calls while i am at work. i receive calls when i'm at home. i receive calls even when i'm bonking! nnk! these fuckers are really desperate! i even receive calls in my dreams!!! nnk!!!

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
knn! can we sue the banks for releasing our personal details to these unscrupulous people. i receive calls while i am at work. i receive calls when i'm at home. i receive calls even when i'm bonking! nnk! these fuckers are really desperate! i even receive calls in my dreams!!! nnk!!!

If this is the case when they ask you for an appointment, your reply would be : Ohhh ...yessss... I am cumming ..... !!!:eek:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Likely not... if you check the fine print... I'm sure it's in the T&C of your credit card application to allow the relase of your particulars for marketing purpose..

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal

hahaha.... i dont mean to insult you, but this part is funny, when bonking also receive calls. :smile:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
:(:(:( i guess the banks are only interested in getting more people to sign up for their credit cards, the Pinoys are interested in getting more commission, the locals should just tell the tele-marketeers to go fly a kite :mad:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:(:(:( i guess the banks are only interested in getting more people to sign up for their credit cards, the Pinoys are interested in getting more commission, the locals should just tell the tele-marketeers to go fly a kite :mad:

poor tele-marketeers ... dey r caught in ze middle ... juz 4 a few $'s ... kena whacked left-rite-centre-upside-down ... :(

a lot of ppl very scared of doing tele-marketing ...

:p

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
poor tele-marketeers ... dey r caught in ze middle ... juz 4 a few $'s ... kena whacked left-rite-centre-upside-down ... :(

a lot of ppl very scared of doing tele-marketing ...

:p

which is why you often hear a Pinoy at the end of the line most of the time... :eek:

jw5

Loyal
can't help but notice that a number of banks in Singapore have been getting Pinoy tele-marketeers to promote their credit cards, and it seems the Pinoys' sole objective is getting as many people as possible to sign up for the cards... they earn the commission, don't they?

as this is only the upstream phenomena, i can't help but wonder what could have happened when the number of credit card holders start to get into unnecessary debts, for we know that greed knows no bounds. as it cascades down to the bottom, there could be a possibility of endless miseries...

The person being approached can always reject the marketeers right?
Why do some people find it so difficult to turn down someone?
When someone calls me or approaches me on the street with something of no interest to me, I'll simply tell them no and refuse to reply when they ask "why"?

jw5

Loyal
Why is your phone on when you're bonking?
Is there anything more important than an orgasm? :smile:

jw5

Loyal
The problem is not Singaporeans are not fucking enough. The problem is HDB fault. They make pigeon hole too small, people no privacy enough to fuck! If you no money to buy big pigeon hole, and cannot fuck in front of your parents/kids, you think got baby not?
I guess that's why some teemagers have decided to fuck in public places? :smile:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The person being approached can always reject the marketeers right?
Why do some people find it so difficult to turn down someone?
When someone calls me or approaches me on the street with something of no interest to me, I'll simply tell them no and refuse to reply when they ask "why"?

bro,

i've learnt thru' the hard way... i used to be unable to reject these nonsense, not anymore :p