• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A social media experiment by school teacher to gather 10K FaceBook likes

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
A lot of things have been said about the young generation and their mentality, behaviour especially online. Even more so in recent days (because of the Amos Yee case).

Senseless. Shallow. Self-entitled. Stupid.

Today, I had a 'social media' debate and discussion in class.

“My account is private so I can post whatever I want online"

“No one will see/care what I post so it doesn’t matter"

“I can always say I was just joking"

“Can simply delete whatever I post what”

These were a few of the things some of the boys shared.

Only.. they weren't exactly right.

I then attempted to make them understand how everything they post online is permanent, there is no such thing as complete “privacy” online; someone will or can eventually view whatever they might have posted and it could escalate a lot faster than they think. What they post online “without giving it much thought" can be damaging - to someone they write mean things about or even to themselves if they post the wrong things.. and there are repercussions and consequences.

I told them I don’t ever want them to end up like Amos Yee.

I encouraged them to be the class that decides to be the better differnce in their generation. To be thoughtful and responsible; especially on social media where it has the unpredictable potential to impact or harm a lot faster than they think.

Some in the class understood. Some were still unconvinced.

They think that posting whatever on social media is not a problem at all because it won’t have such an impact the way I was “exaggerating” it to be.

So I challenged them.

More at A social media experiment by school teacher to gather 10K FaceBook likes

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone who posts their 'thoughts' on Facebook is a narcissistic cunt….nobody cares what you think….