• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why Thai people so supportive of military Junta?

Ask them come to Singapore, we have many generals in our parliaments and GLCs.
Power comes from barrel of the gun. Especially Thailand, with history of many coups
FEB42CA3-D071-4D58-BBFE-6F9809F7D0EC.png

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thais here are angry saying there are more voters from the results than actual voters . . . . . sigh

JustLikeThis

Alfrescian
Loyal
‘Rigged’ and ‘robbed’: Thaksin Shinawatra says Thai elections weren’t free or fair
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/rigged-androbbed-thaksin-shinawatra-says-thai-elections-werent-free-or-fair/2019/03/25/88345d0e-4cbe-11e9-8cfc-2c5d0999c21e_story.html

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra watched results from his country’s first election since a 2014 military coup ousted his sister’s government stream in.

He called his inner circle and polling experts, Thaksin recalled in an interview with The Washington Post. The numbers did not seem right, he said, with the Pheu Thai Party faring far less robustly than expected. Pheu Thai is the latest iteration of the political movement he founded that has dominated Thai elections since the early 2000s.

There were reports of “some vote buying in front of the poll stations,” he said, sitting in the same hotel suite on Hong Kong’s Kowloon Peninsula. Reports came in, too, of a ballot box that had disappeared and been replaced and districts where more ballots were counted than there were voters who turned up.

“How can that happen? Is this a rigged election?” Thaksin said. The vote, he added, has been not only tampered with but “robbed” from the people.

“I don’t care whether I go back or not, but I do care about the livelihood of the people and the dignity of my own country,” Thaksin said. “I’m a simple man and very human. I really want to benefit the country, in any way or any sense.”

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Someone brought me to a hidden gem for lunch this afternoon, pad thai. Its in the neighbouring province Patumthani. Why is this a hidden gem? Well its located under a big flyover. Not so easily accessible. (watch my video).

Location - https://goo.gl/maps/NtCTVShmk512

[media]
Its kindda like makeshift place
2EAWmQO.jpg

Kitchen
K51EKxv.jpg

nBrGOip.jpg

Meatball was really nice
Zg2tnzk.jpg

Check out eh pad thai, and the prawns are soooo fresh
8GtI1oE.jpg

Ordered hoi-thod too (Fried mussels with flour)
ys6ohWh.jpg

Inside the hoi-thod has vegetables
dkaCmL3.jpg

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1st Red coalition, claiming power to govern. With all the fraud allegations, and the EC's screw ups (missed out NZ 1.5k votes).. the soup's starting to boil. The junta backed PP is also claiming power (with majority votes count, not #seats). Doesn't bode well, with all the jostling (risking yet another coup??)

2bc173775aea29ab4f2e08dedd58e0a6.jpeg

Pheu Thai claims right to form govt

politics March 27, 2019 01:00
By Kas Chanwanpen
The Nation

Party stitches together coalition of six parties, says poll results point to a rejection of Prayut.

THE PHEU THAI Party has reportedly put together a coalition of six parties including Future Forward, Seri Ruam Thai, New Economics, Prachachart and Puea Chat to stake its claim to form a government with a total of over 250 seats in the Lower House.
Pheu Thai, which won the most number of seats in the election, yesterday claimed legitimacy to form the government, arguing the mandate was a rejection of premier Prayut Chan-o-cha continuing in office.
With 95 per cent of ballots counted, Pheu Thai has won 137 constituency seats against the 118 of the pro-junta Phalang Pracharat Party, which however secured the most number of votes.

“It should be deemed that Pheu Thai won the people’s mandate to run the country,” the party said in a statement yesterday.
“Combined with the seats of parties that have always been clear about opposing the junta, we have more than 250 MPs and our total votes are 6 million more than what the pro-junta camp has gained,” it said.
The party said the electorate had delivered a clear message that the majority of people did not want General Prayut, who staged a military coup in 2014, to continue as prime minister. The coup led by Prayut had led to the toppling of the Pheu Thai-led government under Yingluck Shinawatra.
“Hence, it is against the will of the majority for parties to support General Prayut,” the statement read. “The [Prayut] coalition subsequently will not be accepted, become unstable, and will not be able to solve economic and other issues.”
5824f0e5ed85e2fd7f71921a31558150.jpeg

Meanwhile, the pro-junta Phalang Pracharat, which won the popular vote with 7.9 million, yesterday expressed confidence about forming a coalition, saying it had already had begun discussions on putting together a coalition with likeminded parties. It also insisted on reinstalling Prayut as premier to lead the post-election government.
“Since announcing that we’re ready to lead the coalition, we’re making good progress but we’re also waiting to see the official election results from the Election Commission,” said its secretary-general Sontirat Sontijirawong.
He said negotiations with other parties had been positive, but it was too soon to discuss Cabinet positions.
Questioned whether Phalang Pracharat had the legitimacy to lead the government, Sontirat said if it could get the most number of votes, then that was true legitimacy.

Sontirat also admitted the party had approached Bhumjaithai Party to join its coalition. But while it said Pheu Thai had offered Bhumjaithai the top job, Sontirat insisted Phalang Pracharat was determined to ensure the PM position goes only to Prayut.
Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wehcayachai also made it clear that the party supports Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan to be its prime minister candidate and this is not a point of discussion to form a coalition.
With swing parties supporting one of the two camps hoping to successfully form the next government, the Democrat Party made clear its stance against joining the pro-Shinawatra camp.

Prayut ‘not involved’
Democrat deputy leader Korn Chatikavanich, whose party won 55 seats in Sunday’s general election according to unofficial results, on Monday posted on his Facebook page that he had not held discussions with any bloc about forming the next government.
“Now there are many rumours. Don’t pay attention to it. For me, it’s impossible to support Pheu Thai [to form the next government],” he posted.
His party’s decision about joining any camp would be clearer when its executives meet and come to a resolution on the matter, Korn added.
Meanwhile, Bhumjathai, the unofficial winner of 52 seats and seen as the most powerful swing party as it could join either the Shinawatra camp or the pro-junta camp led by the Phalang Pracharat Party, remained silent yesterday.
A source from the party denied that its leader, Anutin Charnvirakul, had met with Defence Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan at a military barracks to talk about forming a coalition government.
Prime Minister Prayut yesterday distanced himself from the ongoing struggle to form a coalition, saying it does not concern him as the current prime minister.

After the election, the junta chief said the focus had now been shifted to holding the coronation ceremony coming up in early May.
However, Prayut yesterday did mention “hopes and dreams” at least twice. Borrowing the idea from a book whose title he said he could not remember, Prayut said hopes and dreams are like a kite.
“You cannot just let them fly in the air. You need a good string to fly them or they’ll be gone,” Prayut added metaphorically without elaborating.
Prayut also announced yesterday that this Friday, he would be presenting the last of his TV monologues “The King’s Philosophy” where he mostly talked about the government achievements.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I believe anyone who had visited Thailand will know krapow-moo-saab (Thai basils minced pork) rice is the favourite meal here in Thailand as its a simple dish with vegetable, meat and rice a full meal on a plate.

Another favourite that can also be found almost everywhere is khao-ka-moo or braised pork knuckle rice. This morning a friend introduced me to a shop thats very popular at the vicinity around it. Was told this shop had been around for more than 50 years.

Can hardly find this shop thats hidden behind the plants
ING9NtW.jpg

Shop
gaCYuIH.jpg

Big pot of braised pork knuckles, smells really good
sUeBpEt.jpg

Owner working on my breakfast
f4Hya09.jpg

Ordered a seaweed soup
KIoIYP3.jpg

Here's the breakfast
6WUdO05.jpg

This is probably one of the best I've had in Thailand

location - https://goo.gl/maps/NdHCMjJXeGN2

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ain't over until the fat lady sings (May 9?). And not if the junta has their ways too

Pheu Thai announces 7-party coalition with 255 MPs

c1_1651900_190327133512_620x413.jpg

The Pheu Thai Party on Wednesday announced the formation of a seven-party coalition government with 255 MPs, vowing to stop the National Council for Peace and Order returning to power.

Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, a candidate for prime minister, said Pheu Thai and its six allies stood firm in their determination to prevent Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha remaining in power. The pro-democracy parties had the mandate to form a coalition government, she stressed

Also present at the news announcement at the Lancaster Hotel, opposite Pheu Thai Party headquarters on Phetchaburi Road, were representatives of the Future Forward, Thai Liberal (Seri Ruam Thai), Prachachat, Puea Chart and Thai People Power parties, not any from the New Economics Party.

Only the leaders of six parties were present to sign the agreement.

Khunying Sudarat admitted the March 24 general election was an uphill battle for the pro-democracy parties, with alleged misuse of state mechanisms, vote buying and irregularities in vote counting.

She said they were still actively seeking more allies.

Future Forward leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit echoed Khunying Sudarat on their intention to remove the NCPO from power. He also said any attempt to form a minority government in the House would lead only to chaos and deadlock.

He also urged the Election Commission (EC) to ensure transparency in electoral results.

Prachachat Party leader Wan Muhamad Nor Matha said the formation of a government with a minority of seats in the House would be in disrespect of the people's voice. It would not be stable and would affect the national economy.

He said there was no sound reason for the EC to delay its announcement of electoral results, only an attempt to side with a particular party.

New Economics Party leader Mingkwan Sangsuwan did not show up at the news conference.

However, Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai said the New Economics Party was in the coalition. Mr Mingkwan had confirmed its participation to him on Tuesday night.

Mr Mingkwan posted a message on his Facebook page around 7pm on Tuesday: “I am a person who keeps my word and political stand.’’

The party has six seats by unofficial count.

New Economics Party leader Mingkwan Sangsuwan posted this message on his Facebook page around 7pm on March 26, “I am a person who keeps my word and political stand.’’

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Discovered a new restaurant by a lake in Bangkok tonight. Very beautiful evironment tables set by the lake, comfortable, relaxing and natural.

idEjF7H.jpg

UfdseeA.jpg

What surprises me is the delicious food

Started with the egg plant salad
bx8tpYA.jpg

Somtam
B63SV82.jpg

Fresh salad with tamarind sauce
LFwSTbA.jpg

Seafood salad
6H405WA.jpg

Beautiful salads
eqSgEHd.jpg

Fish meat with salted egg yolk fried
bMypk0u.jpg

5cuBo8P.jpg

Thai herb pork balls
wMVAQk1.jpg

Seabass fried with fish sauce and raw mango
UR01Pho.jpg

LhL7542.jpg

Seafood custard
MzjWpOE.jpg

Crab curry
OcFeM0M.jpg

The spread
JOKhWYA.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Visited one of Bangkok's largest markets on Friday night - Liab Duan Night Market

ISr1XW6.jpg

duDyqvh.jpg

NTNnNq0.jpg

RN0AccT.jpg

XyFvmIg.jpg

XlFaiIT.jpg

HAn1tyt.jpg

SrnHFyr.jpg

6U2zACj.jpg

9AH3ypc.jpg

1a6bfkf.jpg

YwqEmgK.jpg