• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cooked my favourite comfort food for breakfast "giam-buay". What a great start for the day with breakfast like this.

Tau-gua I bought last weekend form Tanglin Halt market and brought to Bangkok) with minced pork and egg.

View attachment 33130

View attachment 33131
Wow! This dish is my Khong Prot (favorite) too. Very very traditional and close to extinction. Cannot remember when was the last time I had this. Must be at least 10 years ago.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most foreigners don't know about this Thai dish. Its call Khao Kluk Kapi (means Rice fried with Shrimp paste).Usually those shops that sell Nam Prik Pla Tu( Fried Mackerel with spicy shrimp paste) will also sell Khao Kluk Kapi.
received_1354843394580953_zpswvbetr3g.jpeg
Served with onions, minced pork, dried chilli,green mango slices, goon chiang (chinese sausage), fried egg and cucumbers.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
20171110_123326.jpg
20171110_122725.jpg
20171110_122707.jpg
I went to my favourite Tom yum noodle outlet and companied by 2 of my cute, pretty and chio Thai colleagues.

Order extra noodles to be shared by us.

20171110_123352.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
555 talking about Tom Yam noodle. Just got pack of 3 Tom Yam Mama from Big C. 25 baht for pack of 3.
I call this emergency noodle.

There are 2 type. This one is the non creamy one.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Draw of Tiong pink (gay) dollars :wink:o_O

5ae63d494f61fac76cdb887de862f941.jpeg

This photograph taken on October 7, 2017 shows a waiter serving alcohol to a group of Chinese tourists at ZAG bar in Thailand's southern tourist destination of Phuket. /AFP

Gay Chinese tourists flock to Thailand for fun, acceptance

Tourism November 10, 2017 12:29

By Agence France-Presse
Phuket, Thailand

2,346 Viewed

Bathed in a pink spotlight, the cabaret singer at Phuket's ZAG bar lip-syncs the top notes of a popular Mandarin love song, delighting the crowd of gay Chinese tourists who have escaped judgement at home for sexual freedom in Thailand.

While the song, "The Moon Represents My Heart", is a hit with the patrons, the transgender singer is just the warm up act.

"We're waiting for the go-go boys!" says one Chinese reveller at ZAG, one of several clubs squeezed into "Paradise Complex" -- the epicentre of the raucous gay nightlife scene on the party-hard island.

With an estimated LGBTQ population of 70 million, China has the world's third-largest "pink market" after Europe and the United States.

Yet in China being openly gay is still fraught with difficulties.

Dressing a certain way or public displays of affection can draw stares and lead to family turmoil. Some Chinese parents have even brought gay children to "conversion" clinics for treatment.

Homeosexuality was classified as a mental illness in China until 2001 and a crime until 1997, and authorities have arrested gay rights activists.

That makes Thailand, renowned for its more permissive attitude towards sexuality, an alluring holiday option fr gay Chinese looking to cut loose away from family pressures and censorious eyes.

While LGBTQ Thais often still face discrimination in the workplace, the kingdom's gay party scene is famously loud and proud, known for late-night clubbing and cabaret shows in Bangkok and along its coastal resorts.

"Every night, around half our customers are from China. They used to come in the past, but this year suddenly there were a lot, so we added Chinese songs," Bon Nadech, the owner of ZAG bar told AFP.

"Chinese tourists are great customers. They're polite and curious about Thailand," said a waiter at the nearby MO2 club.

Chinese travel companies are also crowding in to tap the market.

Nearly a dozen agents offer trips to Thailand for gay tourists, with ads showing travellers partying on yachts decorated with rainbow streamers and balloons.

The relaxed atmosphere offers a rush of liberation for those who make the trip.

"I have a lot of friends who don't feel safe in China and feel they need to hide. In Thailand they don't have to worry," said Ji Chengfeng, a 37-year-old entrepreneur from Beijing, who was visiting Phuket on one of his frequent holidays in the kingdom.

Pink tourist dollars

China sends more tourists to Thailand than any other country, with cheap air links and no visa requirements funnelling visitors to the kingdom.

Thailand has already welcomed 6.6 million Chinese tourists in 2017 -- up from a total of 2.7 million five years ago -- bringing a flood of cash into the key sector.

In comparison, less than 700,000 Americans and a little over 500,000 French citizens visited Thailand so far this year.

The economic potential of LGBTQ travelers in particular is increasingly catching the eyes of tourist operators worldwide.

Many are not parents and therefore have a greater disposable income, plus are better able to travel outside peak holiday periods.

In recent years, on the heels of gay marriage court rulings, tourist boards in the more permissive corners of the world are promoting their countries as same-sex wedding and honeymoon destinations.

In 2013, the Tourism Authority of Thailand's office in New York launched its campaign, "Go Thai Be Free", to actively welcome LGBTQ travelers.

While same-sex marriage is not officially recognised under Thai law, it is a widely accepted practice and Buddhist monks often preside over such ceremonies.

But it remains strictly illegal in China, where a court last year ruled against two men seeking to marry.

Several Thai entertainers, tour guides and service staff, told AFP they were studying Mandarin to improve communication with Chinese visitors.

"We get more business if we offer tours in Mandarin," said Lalani of Phuket Sunshine Tours, who gave her first name because she was not authorized to speak with media.

As the night wears on at ZAG, the atmosphere becomes increasingly freewheeling, with lesbian, bisexual, transgender, gay and straight partygoers downing shots together and posing for photos with the bare-chested go-go boys.

"I want to find some way to live here. It's so fun and open. Men can hold hands on the street and no one will care," one young web developer from Shanghai told AFP, declining to give his name to protect his identity.

"In China if you do that people will make a big deal out of it. They will take photos of you," he said, before leaping onto stage for a dance.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Tourism/30331295

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Draw of Tiong pink (gay) dollars :wink:o_O

5ae63d494f61fac76cdb887de862f941.jpeg

This photograph taken on October 7, 2017 shows a waiter serving alcohol to a group of Chinese tourists at ZAG bar in Thailand's southern tourist destination of Phuket. /AFP

Gay Chinese tourists flock to Thailand for fun, acceptance

Tourism November 10, 2017 12:29

By Agence France-Presse
Phuket, Thailand

2,346 Viewed

Bathed in a pink spotlight, the cabaret singer at Phuket's ZAG bar lip-syncs the top notes of a popular Mandarin love song, delighting the crowd of gay Chinese tourists who have escaped judgement at home for sexual freedom in Thailand.

While the song, "The Moon Represents My Heart", is a hit with the patrons, the transgender singer is just the warm up act.

"We're waiting for the go-go boys!" says one Chinese reveller at ZAG, one of several clubs squeezed into "Paradise Complex" -- the epicentre of the raucous gay nightlife scene on the party-hard island.

With an estimated LGBTQ population of 70 million, China has the world's third-largest "pink market" after Europe and the United States.

Yet in China being openly gay is still fraught with difficulties.

Dressing a certain way or public displays of affection can draw stares and lead to family turmoil. Some Chinese parents have even brought gay children to "conversion" clinics for treatment.

Homeosexuality was classified as a mental illness in China until 2001 and a crime until 1997, and authorities have arrested gay rights activists.

That makes Thailand, renowned for its more permissive attitude towards sexuality, an alluring holiday option fr gay Chinese looking to cut loose away from family pressures and censorious eyes.

While LGBTQ Thais often still face discrimination in the workplace, the kingdom's gay party scene is famously loud and proud, known for late-night clubbing and cabaret shows in Bangkok and along its coastal resorts.

"Every night, around half our customers are from China. They used to come in the past, but this year suddenly there were a lot, so we added Chinese songs," Bon Nadech, the owner of ZAG bar told AFP.

"Chinese tourists are great customers. They're polite and curious about Thailand," said a waiter at the nearby MO2 club.

Chinese travel companies are also crowding in to tap the market.

Nearly a dozen agents offer trips to Thailand for gay tourists, with ads showing travellers partying on yachts decorated with rainbow streamers and balloons.

The relaxed atmosphere offers a rush of liberation for those who make the trip.

"I have a lot of friends who don't feel safe in China and feel they need to hide. In Thailand they don't have to worry," said Ji Chengfeng, a 37-year-old entrepreneur from Beijing, who was visiting Phuket on one of his frequent holidays in the kingdom.

Pink tourist dollars

China sends more tourists to Thailand than any other country, with cheap air links and no visa requirements funnelling visitors to the kingdom.

Thailand has already welcomed 6.6 million Chinese tourists in 2017 -- up from a total of 2.7 million five years ago -- bringing a flood of cash into the key sector.

In comparison, less than 700,000 Americans and a little over 500,000 French citizens visited Thailand so far this year.

The economic potential of LGBTQ travelers in particular is increasingly catching the eyes of tourist operators worldwide.

Many are not parents and therefore have a greater disposable income, plus are better able to travel outside peak holiday periods.

In recent years, on the heels of gay marriage court rulings, tourist boards in the more permissive corners of the world are promoting their countries as same-sex wedding and honeymoon destinations.

In 2013, the Tourism Authority of Thailand's office in New York launched its campaign, "Go Thai Be Free", to actively welcome LGBTQ travelers.

While same-sex marriage is not officially recognised under Thai law, it is a widely accepted practice and Buddhist monks often preside over such ceremonies.

But it remains strictly illegal in China, where a court last year ruled against two men seeking to marry.

Several Thai entertainers, tour guides and service staff, told AFP they were studying Mandarin to improve communication with Chinese visitors.

"We get more business if we offer tours in Mandarin," said Lalani of Phuket Sunshine Tours, who gave her first name because she was not authorized to speak with media.

As the night wears on at ZAG, the atmosphere becomes increasingly freewheeling, with lesbian, bisexual, transgender, gay and straight partygoers downing shots together and posing for photos with the bare-chested go-go boys.

"I want to find some way to live here. It's so fun and open. Men can hold hands on the street and no one will care," one young web developer from Shanghai told AFP, declining to give his name to protect his identity.

"In China if you do that people will make a big deal out of it. They will take photos of you," he said, before leaping onto stage for a dance.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Tourism/30331295
Yup. Luckily have PRC supporting, else here closed down long ago. Another good news is Russkies are gradually returning back to Pattaya in numbers.

Many places now accept RMB notes and also China based ecommerce,Alipay, union and wechat pay.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Honda Zoomer X 2017 review

Capacity 110c.Very good suspension compared yo previous Yamaha fino and Honda Scoopy I
Quite chio

Digital LCD display. Actually prefer the classic analog display. Unfortunately, they no longer manufacture the analog display version. My neighbor has the older Zoomer X. Will post a pic when she is back from hometown. Also has a new feature call Idling Stop. What it does when switched on is it will stop the idling when the bike is stationary for 3 seconds. To resume from stationary, just throttle. This is good for city with many traffic lights and stops.

The seat.

The storage space under the seat opens from the side. Need the key to open the seat. Quite a hassle durig road blocks.

Locked cover to access the fuel tank cap. Again quite hassle when pumping petrol. Have to pull out the key from ignition and open the cover.

4.4 litre capacity. Currently I am using benzine which is around 36 baht. Could have used Gasohol 95 or 91 which is only 28. Many people claim it makes no difference. But I can feel the engine is much quiter and smoother, and the lesser vibration.

The bike is slightly higher than Wave, Fino and Scoopy.

Overall, a good bike. Did 90 km/hr on trips to Rayong and Chonburi and was quite stable. Didnt feel like its 90km/hr at all. Earlier Fino can only do 70 km/hr and struggling like the engine is going to explode.

Will like to try longer distance on this bike. Was toying with the idea of riding to Koh Chang in Trad province (300 km away) and Bangkok (120 km) sometime next week.

This model is also target of motorcycle theft. The number one model of motorcycle theft is Honda MSX which our friend call Gorilla bike.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More about Honda Zoomer X.This model debuted in 2013 or 2014. This model is a hit among the "wai roon", bengs and lians.

Its actually a model for those who like to "taeng" aka modify. There are many accessories and parts for modifying this bike. Honda design and manufacture this bike for owners to modify.

Unfortunately, mata will not be impressed if over modify especially the exhaust and fog lights and non approved color LED lights. Some mods quite Obiang but I like.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not a problem

Most dont wear :p

I read that they are cracking down on those who don't use helmets. It is not a simple case of just paying a fine, but you have to go down to the station & waste your time to pay the minor fine. The time wasted is the actual problem & not the $ value of the fine. The crack down applies to both Angmos & locals,

Also read about police personnel being replaced in Pattaya. The authorities have also sent policeman from BKK to check on things in Pattaya.

I've noticed changes made since the coupe e.g. the stalls on the pavements around Sukhumwit near Nana have been cleared & I see a police man stationed there to enforce the ban.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just cooked myself a simple old style breakfast taugua 豆干, minced pork, fermented soya 豆酱

IMG_20171112_081049.jpg

IMG_20171112_081708.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kanom Jeen Nam Ya Kati (coconut curry with fishball and chicken feet) at my favorite Kanom Jeen shop, "Khun Bee Kanom Jeen Sod" at Pattaya Klang Soi Yume. So aroi until I refrain from eating other shops cos already used this shop as benchmark.

Am considering franchise this and sell at my neighbourhood. At the moment, Boss dont intend to franchise out.

veges self serviced. can take as much as you want but must finished lah.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read that they are cracking down on those who don't use helmets. It is not a simple case of just paying a fine, but you have to go down to the station & waste your time to pay the minor fine. The time wasted is the actual problem & not the $ value of the fine. The crack down applies to both Angmos & locals,

Also read about police personnel being replaced in Pattaya. The authorities have also sent policeman from BKK to check on things in Pattaya.

I've noticed changes made since the coupe e.g. the stalls on the pavements around Sukhumwit near Nana have been cleared & I see a police man stationed there to enforce the ban.
All along have "jab" but depends on many factors.

1. Depend on day of month
2. Depend on day of week
3. Depend of time of day
4. Depend on location
5. Depend on mood of mata boss
6. Depend on mood of mata kia
7. Depend on driver face
8. Depend on Luck

Yup. you are right. Damm waste time paying the fine at the police station. The mata will retain your driving license and have to go police station pay fine. Then go back to the place where you are caught to show receipt of fine payment before they return license. better do it on same day else have to collect license at police station. Easily 2 hours waiting time due to long queues. Good news is Central festival just next door. So can go for lunch or dinner while waiting for the turn to pay the fine.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is storing of crash helmets. So how do you secure 2 crash helmets with these new motor cycle models?
5 ways to store helmet

1. Under the seat

2. Over the mirror (most preferred way)

3. Hang on the hook provided. Also used for tabao food or grocery shopping

4. Hang on the side hook under the seat.

5. Dont have helmet and dont care or helmet stolen and dont care.