• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro if i may butt in.....your gf from where? i find the issan thais love sungei road laksa......katong ones dun cut it for them.....after long time observing and personal experience......below are some of our local food that most thais love.

Laksa
Claypot spicy frog porridge
Teochew Bak Ku Teh
Chicken rice

like to add a few more:
teochew fishball kway teow noodle soup
yong tau hoo
fish/pork porridge

only complaints is sinkee serving very big as the local servings (even special) is very small portion.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mother 'not used to everything' here so want to go back earlier (wed or thur). so today go book bus tickets. will not be accompanying them back. maybe middle of next month.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
u go sian the tao kay niu, maybe she tell you the recipe leh. :smile:

I really cannot do it la bro these catonese ah-sou very fierce one

mother 'not used to everything' here so want to go back earlier (wed or thur). so today go book bus tickets. will not be accompanying them back. maybe middle of next month.

Aiyo no need to say la, it will never happen for sure.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
like to add a few more:
teochew fishball kway teow noodle soup
yong tau hoo
fish/pork porridge

only complaints is sinkee serving very big as the local servings (even special) is very small portion.

Yes bro i think the kway teow noodles almost same same what they have in LOS so they take to it.
Yong Tau Hoo.....after the gf discover laksa yong tau hoo she also became a fan......extra cockles some more (thais i find like their cockles well cooked).
Porridge they like the century egg too........but raw fish they not fans of it.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yes bro i think the kway teow noodles almost same same what they have in LOS so they take to it.
Yong Tau Hoo.....after the gf discover laksa yong tau hoo she also became a fan......extra cockles some more (thais i find like their cockles well cooked).
Porridge they like the century egg too........but raw fish they not fans of it.

A big difference is sinkie fishballs in stalls are mostly fresh fishballs and cooked on the spot. In Thailand the fishballs are all precooked in factory. Difference is sinkie balls are softer and can't tell difference between outer skin and the inside meat but most of Thai fishballs the outer skin is slightly harder than the inside. Of course there are good fishballs in Thailand too and its available in Chinatown Yaowarat from the fishball stalls but then you have to cook at home.

Another difference is also the size, most and I say again most but not all Thai fishball noodle shops use very small fishball so when biting and chewing it not so shiok compared to large fishballs.

However for fish cakes I really like the Thai's big chunky fish cakes. This I will not complain.

One last thing, dry noodles of course very very big difference because we use chilli sauce with vinegar and soya sauce, Thai's dry noodles is simply nothing inside. So I have to make my own chilli sauce and other stuff and bring to shop whenever I know I want to go out for noodles.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One last thing, dry noodles of course very very big difference because we use chilli sauce with vinegar and soya sauce, Thai's dry noodles is simply nothing inside. So I have to make my own chilli sauce and other stuff and bring to shop whenever I know I want to go out for noodles.

You missed out the lard bits brother.

lardoil.jpg

This makes everything wonderful. :biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
middle next month cos' old folks here and then need to 'accompany' my old folks to 'bkk' (bkk in the north for a few days :smile:). that's the only way i can think of now. another way is to go north to recce new office under business. this one cannot use yet. keep for emergency.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So finally this is what I'm more familiar with and dearly missed while living in Bangkok. My lunch now.

null-77.jpg

null-76.jpg

below photo Pii Chon sure familiar
null-78.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So finally this is what I'm more familiar with and dearly missed while living in Bangkok. My lunch now.
below photo Pii Chon sure familiar
null-78.jpg
hehehe. think the bro staying next to my block also familiar. wondering the aquarium shop in the market opposite this kopitiam still around? :smile:

seems nothing much has changed in the kopitiam. zhi char stall behind the malay food stall still around?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
hehehe. think the bro staying next to my block also familiar. wondering the aquarium shop in the market opposite this kopitiam still around? :smile:

seems nothing much has changed in the kopitiam. zhi char stall behind the malay food stall still around?

Yes small aquarium still there at a corner facing barber

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
20130520_185322_zps6fcb0879.jpg

20130520_183322_zps4bf9055e.jpg
20130520_182215_zps5c1ed6f6.jpg

at sut tang rak for sunset dinner. here's the place. joetys, yy and tddd shud be familar with the place.

20130520_181727_zpsff8a8bfe.jpg

the display

the scenary
20130520_181656_zps1a90c056.jpg

and baked lobster

baked prawn tang hoon (goong orb woon sen)
20130520_182814_zps1495e99f.jpg

zinc

Tamdeedaidee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Joetys, I think Ng Ah Sio was the one that turned away ex-Hong Kong chief Tung Chi Hwa when he came to eat. Thaksin also ate there b4... Heck, even these phra also cannot resist! I long time didn't go there leaw so was surprised when my recent visit they renovated the place very nicely and orders taken with handheld devices hor!

2013-01-17.jpg

Tamdeedaidee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Chon, yes how can forget your generosity? Many thanks for being such a fantastic host. Finally figured out how to upload pixs in this forum. Sutanrak, Or Bor Chor? Did I get the name right?
944674_326154300845405_1942272254_n.jpg
946485_326154270845408_1035520826_n.jpg
485520_326154404178728_1921145320_n.jpg
249044_326150420845793_201856847_n.jpg
941591_326150964179072_420067779_n.jpg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just got home from Suvarnabhumbi Airport.

Bro Joetys, I think Ng Ah Sio was the one that turned away ex-Hong Kong chief Tung Chi Hwa when he came to eat. Thaksin also ate there b4... Heck, even these phra also cannot resist! I long time didn't go there leaw so was surprised when my recent visit they renovated the place very nicely and orders taken with handheld devices hor!

View attachment 10317

I've never tasted. Anyway this stall had been taken over by Jumbo group so this is why with Jumbo's deep pocket and experience they are expanding I guess.

http://www.ngahsiobkt.com/