• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiangmai is more laid back and not known for night scene (as with Krungthep, Phuket or Patts). Only 2 small ago-go bars in town (Spotlight and Foxy Lady) and 2 MPs (nothing like Joety's Poseidon) :p. And true, there's a fair mix of Yunnan chinese (Chiangrai) with Myanmar just across the border.

Hi Pi Yinyang, you are right with the small ago-go bars. But nowadays there are many KTV joints setting up and they are also offering sexual services behind or the guy can also bring the girl back to the hotel. Most of those girls working in these joints are from Yunnan and Myanmar. They can speak Thais, English and Mandarin. In fact I know one Yunnan girl who can even speak Cantonese.
My personal advice is never to visit these joints alone unless you are familiar with the people there.
Just to share my brief experience with the bros here only ya.

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
ZenRyder, thanks so much... yeah had always prefer cooler weather but I guess no choice since I had booked my tickets there in May..... only consolations it is off peak and so will not be too packed with tourists.

Hi Bro groovy73, you are right that May is off-peak with less tourists due to the hot season.
However, you have missed an important event where Chiangmai will celebrate Songkran Festival from the 13 April to 15 April this year.
Hmm....hope you can join me next year then.

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro groovy73, you are right that May is off-peak with less tourists due to the hot season.
However, you have missed an important event where Chiangmai will celebrate Songkran Festival from the 13 April to 15 April this year.
Hmm....hope you can join me next year then.

I have always wanted to join in the festival. I hope to get an air ticket. Will you be there?

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yindee krap. Chop beer sing dee kwa. If we meet then must chong kiau.

Pi Ypres, khoon pood pasa thai keng mak mak na....maybe can also drive around town in our Nissan March....hehehe paiseh paiseh just a small car only...
Pi will you be in Thailand for the Songkran Festival in April?

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always wanted to join in the festival. I hope to get an air ticket. Will you be there?

I was there last year and its was my first time to celebrate Songkran. It was the best festival that I have ever celebrated, personally.
This year will not be in Chiangmai as my fiancee is coming to Singapore during the holidays.

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey hey.... I was in bkk for songkran last year and it was scary .... it was just jammed packed.... but i had hell lot of good times too.... was like a mini reunion for me and my friends from shanghai, hong kong, malaysia as well as taiwan.....

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Had a very nice Japanese sushi dinner tonight at TEN-SUI restaurant. Its one of those more upmarket Japanese restaurants in Bangkok because of it authentic way of doing the sushi and the freshness of the seafood from Japan. Many Japanese big bosses come here to entertain their customers or business associates.

Our Sake for the evening
99BF8CCA-2837-45D1-9A75-79FE8F450AEE-16966-000004250F97A2B6.jpg

731C4A77-46D6-4A50-8AE5-51D484CC26EA-16966-00000425159FF74F.jpg

The Sushi Bar
42036CA9-29BA-473C-9D10-EE491166D213-16966-000004251C08B422.jpg

[video=youtube;tAzx0GL-KK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAzx0GL-KK0[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Now the Sashimi Mariawase - every single piece of seafood melts in your mouth

502CCB5C-B16C-4DA2-BC1C-D7C2C4BD4395-16966-0000042508014484.jpg

[video=youtube;Hj5T6C0EPC8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj5T6C0EPC8[/video]

See how fresh the seafood is

B2BD20D2-D7CC-4D0A-9DE7-177F6E78CAF3-16966-000004250112D66A.jpg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Here comes the sushi - Ikura, Uni, Maguro

65552645-EDFC-4412-A7B1-76719DDEFD0D-16966-00000424FA2DA392.jpg

[video=youtube;PS7sISFrpFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS7sISFrpFM[/video]

Nadou Maki (fermented beans)

B51F0B5A-2D8E-43DD-9A5D-32121EDF9AE5-16966-00000424F1C7C79B.jpg

Chawanmushi

E40E0E71-BFB3-4B44-9FC8-E025CD934252-16966-00000424EA3A4A1F.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Just as I was getting hungry for the sashimi, the fermented beans negated it. Heng arh.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally the complimentary dessert (yes that's sweet condensed milk you see there, nice with the strawberry)

C7402011-5FD1-41DC-A433-035DA1B4EEB7-16966-00000424CFD687C4.jpg

The address

52E23397-6E6E-444A-89E1-E7B680936077-16966-00000424BCF323E0.jpg

And the outside of the restaurant

[video=youtube;Fu0uiExWaFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu0uiExWaFA[/video]

All in all the bill was 11,040 baht and its worth every single baht believe me.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hey hey.... I was in bkk for songkran last year and it was scary .... it was just jammed packed.... but i had hell lot of good times too.... was like a mini reunion for me and my friends from shanghai, hong kong, malaysia as well as taiwan.....

Most parts of Bangkok during songkran is like ghost town except for the area designated to play water like Chokchai-4, Sathorn, Kao San etc. The reason is most of Bangkokkians are out of town, bai-teaw. I love to be in Bangkok during this songkran season, no traffic.

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Bro panzer, I am staying with my partner at a residential estate known as Aumphure Sansai when I visited Chiangmai. Its a peaceful and quiet neighborhood (except for those barking dogs). This estate comprises of mostly single-storey independent houses and it costs about one million baht (est. SGD 42K).
When do you plan to visit Chiangmai?

Pi, I will share more in my next post as I'm only limited to 500 characters.

Have a nice day na.

Hi bro ZenRyder

I want to visit Chiang Mai as a tourist this year. Last 5 years have not been travelling much as my kid is still small but now that she's older will start bring her to more places :-)

No worries about posting stuff, just do it own time own target. Must learn from Thais... sabai sabai... :-)

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was there last year and its was my first time to celebrate Songkran. It was the best festival that I have ever celebrated, personally.
This year will not be in Chiangmai as my fiancee is coming to Singapore during the holidays.

Reminds me of one songkran some years back when a big group of friends made a road trip to hatyai from singapore. All big bikes and car convoy...each got at least one super soaker water gun from singapore....sling on the back while riding.....what a sight along the way machiam going for war! Lol

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very nice Japanese sushi dinner tonight at TEN-SUI restaurant. Its one of those more upmarket Japanese restaurants in Bangkok because of it authentic way of doing the sushi
Good referral on suk stretch (my usual hangout in Bangers). Will remember to hit our GM's expense account next time, and steer him from oh-so-boring eat places kns.:p

ZenRyder said:
many KTV joints setting up
Mostly in Changklan area, and you can be hit for big bills. One tuk2 taxi fella confessed he kena thb11k (with nothing to show for) +555:p:biggrin:

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Oy_uYOcOd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi bros, just want to share one of my favorite Thai rock ballad song. I am very much into Thai slow Rock music.
My first time embed from Youtube. Apologise in advance if it does not turn out well.

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro ZenRyder

I want to visit Chiang Mai as a tourist this year. Last 5 years have not been travelling much as my kid is still small but now that she's older will start bring her to more places :-)

No worries about posting stuff, just do it own time own target. Must learn from Thais... sabai sabai... :-)

Hello bro panzer,

It will be very expensive to visit during the Songkran Festival in April if you are booking now, but maybe you can consider to visit C.M during the Loy Krathong festival which falls on the 17 Nov 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_Krathong
The celebration usually last a few days, but you may have to book your air ticket and hotel early na. I can assured you its a festival in Chiangmai that you don't want to miss ya.

I missed the festival last year due to work commitments, but this year I 'by-hook or by-crook' must be there for the festival hor.
Hehehe....let me know if you wanna' join me then ok na.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Slice of big mango today

Just got mine this morning, nicely sitting my office desk. A bloody 1 month wait, got a staff who asked her sister in states to send 6 Furbys to office. In Huay Khwang on street side it's going for 5,000-7,000 each take it or leave it. Heard official price in malls are less than 3,000 but no stock can queue for long long time. Mine is a white one will power it up tonight and download the app into my iphone to feed Furby.

AD3225C5-68D1-4ED2-8BC2-42BA772B40AC-16966-0000047CB5B8DD71.jpg

Slice of the big mango today :biggrin:

Anybody lost thb9mil from ATM? Inside job?!:wink:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/339143/b9m-stolen-from-bank-cash-van

And what's the fuss or latest craze with Furbys??:confused:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/339133/furby-scam-victims-to-get-money-back