• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Froggy, now that you are in Issan, a friendly piece of reminder. Don't go around paying everything and flashing your cash na, Issan people can smell a Robert from a mile away. Soon, you will have everyone being uncomfortably "nice" to you looking for a quick hundred here and a few thousand there. Even the caretaker of the Wat will come asking for "donations" and in return, he will assure you your big name will be put in gold leaf at the entrance... :wink::wink:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Froggy, now that you are in Issan, a friendly piece of reminder. Don't go around paying everything and flashing your cash na, Issan people can smell a Robert from a mile away. Soon, you will have everyone being uncomfortably "nice" to you looking for a quick hundred here and a few thousand there. Even the caretaker of the Wat will come asking for "donations" and in return, he will assure you your big name will be put in gold leaf at the entrance... :wink::wink:

Thanks buddy for the heads up. I know.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It's ashame that I could only spend 30 hours here. I wish I have more time here to "charge my battery". But then there's work to be done and screws to sell in Bangkok. I've told myself today I will come to such places more often. This is when I meet real people, people who are simple in mind and heart. Breathe fresh air, eat simple and healthy food.

Thai Airway's domestic airline Thai Smile Lounge in Khon Kaen Airport
CSnKqQJ.jpg

BzcCCp4.jpg

Gate, surprised they provide refreshments and buns for all passengers

8QB27qI.jpg

sPBlDdt.jpg

Good bye Khon Kaen

UHVGY3k.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thai Smile Airways provide a nice package for all passengers

NyqllVF.jpg

Mini chicken burger

ih2jKhD.jpg

And there's also hot coffee and tea too

Not bad

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very nice Froggy. This is exactly why I visit this forum and this subforum only.

You made me feel like I was there and despite 2 decades+ of travel to Thailand including working there for a while, I've never been to Isaan

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You made me feel like I was there and despite 2 decades+ of travel to Thailand including working there for a while, I've never been to Isaan
Me neither to Isaan heartlands. Only skirted it when I drove to Petchabun some years back.

On cuisine, interestingly I learnt some distinct diff between Isaan's and Thai mainstream's.
Former's more into beef, fish (not pork). Coconut's not used too. And bamboo, some dried fish from jar:eek:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Very nice Froggy. This is exactly why I visit this forum and this subforum only.

Me neither to Isaan heartlands. Only skirted it when I drove to Petchabun some years back.

On cuisine, interestingly I learnt some distinct diff between Isaan's and Thai mainstream's.
Former's more into beef, fish (not pork). Coconut's not used too. And bamboo, some dried fish from jar:eek:

Well, the 2 of you are known to me as northern boys :roflmao:. Of course @yinyang had in the recent past turned to the central south (Huahin).

@yinyang Isaan is very into vegetables, raw and all sorts of funny plants. As for meat I'd say pork and beef have equal standing. Isaan also eat lots of bamboo shoots in many ways fresh and preserved. As for the fish in jars you may be referring to the smelly "pla-ra", this is an acquired taste man Thais also not take this.

1. Isaan are known to eat many things raw and that include meats mixed with blood for example - minced pork or beef (European version of tartare) mixed with the corresponding fresh blood, sliced meat with blood etc. I attach an interesting video here

2. As for the fish in jar this how they make it (ok the presenter's english language may sound funny but she's trying very hard)

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Issan life is like what Froggy says.... simple. In many aspects it is where you can see how the "real" Thais live. My experiences in Udon, Ubon and Kalasin is that it's like our kampong life many decades ago, magnified 10 times :wink:. You see chickens, ducks, buffaloes, dogs, cats.... with majority of people being farmers. The language used is a dialect of Thai so there are many Thai words that differ. Delicious in Issan would be "Sepp" instead of "Aroi". And instead of "chai mai?" they will say "Mian Bo?" If you are a first time visitor to the region, you will be blown away by the beautiful farm-inspired scenery of open rice-fields. Weather-wise, it could be very chilly end of the year. People are friendly but view foreigners like walking ATMs, so be very careful. Never flash cash or act like everything is cheap. They may be simple in outlook but when it comes to scamming you of $$, they have plenty of experience!!!

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Froggy, I would advise you against eating Pla Ra, as it is the main cause of liver cancer. I think you know.

There are many things I avoid eating when in Issan and this includes the raw beef as well. I know they love it but the risk of salmonella is there, so I usually reject any meat uncooked. I also avoid the cheap local Thai whisky.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some belated pics from last month, on my initiation to spirit house setup (and house warming). This was in some country/farm house, near Kaeng Krachan National Park (and big dam area) -30km from Hua Hin. Pls excuse quality pics, as outdone by Froggy's.:geek:

Spirit house

IMG_3468.jpeg

Array of food

IMG_3524.jpeg

Headcount: 9 monks, had to help dish out food amidst their chanting.
Forgot to ask for 4D:geek:
IMG_3531.jpeg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Big cookout, all hands on deck. Not outsourced, neighbourly assist
IMG_3464.jpeg

Altar
IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3524.jpeg

Ps: Can Froggy upright the 2 pics, got them right from lappy but..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to go from Pattaya to Sriracha Robinsons? Can I take baht buses from Sukhumvit ? And how would I know they go to Sriracha ?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
How to go from Pattaya to Sriracha Robinsons? Can I take baht buses from Sukhumvit ? And how would I know they go to Sriracha ?

Chon had taken leave and I have no idea cos I drive. I think no one can help you for now buddy. Sorry.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Froggy, I would advise you against eating Pla Ra, as it is the main cause of liver cancer. I think you know.

There are many things I avoid eating when in Issan and this includes the raw beef as well. I know they love it but the risk of salmonella is there, so I usually reject any meat uncooked. I also avoid the cheap local Thai whisky.

Let me say a little about Isaan.

1. Officially Thailand is divided into 6 regions namely

a. Central Thailand - where Bangkok and 21 Provinces reside (population about 20 mil)
b. North Thailand - 9 provinces (population about 6.5mil)
c. South Thailand - 14 provinces (population about 9.5mil)
d. East Thailand - 7 provinces (population about 5mil)
e. West Thailand - 5 provinces (population about 3.5mil)
f. finally Northeast Thailand - 20 provinces (population about 22.5mil) now Northeast Thailand Region is convenient called Isaan

2. Although Northeastern Thailand Region is commonly called Isaan not all speak Isaan language or rather not all are Isaan people.

3. Just because maybe 80% are Isaan people this region is conveniently called Isaan but then Northeastern Thailand is a more accurate name.

4. Also note that all over Thailand once can find Isaan people especially in Bangkok I am sure with 10 mil people in the capital once can find jsut my guesstimation at least 3mil are Isaan? So the Isaan people is a very large group of ethnically unique group of people in Thailand.

5. So who are they? First, Isaan is ethnically Lao. They call themselves Lao, they call their language Lao, they also call their food Lao, they also call their culture Lao so basically they have to be Lao.

6. Isaan language is almost identical to the language spoken in Laos so both Laotians and Isaan people understand each other almost perfectly. On the other hand many Thais cannot understand Isaan language although there are similarities. Today due to schooling almost all Isaan speak Thai and Isaan too.

You can have a feel of the language here

7. So why are there so many Isaan or Laotians here in Thailand today? This is due to forced migration in the 18th century when Thailand is much bigger than it is today controlling Laos those days. There was a rebellion in Laos over Thailand's control and Thailand took a large chunk of the population across the Mekong river into Thailand to be slaves and settled them in Northeastern Thailand. Mekong river is today the boder between Thailand and Laos.

8. So today there are basically more Laotians in Thailand than in Laos (population 6.8mil vs 23-25mil Isaan), yes its strange.

9. As for music Isaan music is known as Morlam here's morlam for you

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're right about the Laotian influence. But generally, Isaan people still consider themselves proud Thais because I suspect they think being Thais is a step up from being Laotian.