• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
The crowd at MBK doesn't represent a typical Thai family. It is usually Thai students & foreigners that frequent that area.

MBK is a very big place & can imagine an obese person having problems getting around.
The rich Thais go to Paragon, the poor Thais, The Mall @ Bangkapi. The Angmoh will not even touch MBK and other shopping centres in Rajadamri. Only Sinkies and China tourists congregate in those areas.

The Japanese go to Emporium @ Phrom Phong.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Years ago I tried the Roong Ruang bus. In Bkk you can go to the bus terminal at Sukumvit. It is probably the cheapest way to get to Pattaya. The problem is that sometimes they do plenty of stops along the way i.e. delays.

Bro, Sukhumvit is very long. It's Ekkamai station. The RR @ Ekkamai is popular with Thais who need to move between BKK and Pattaya. As a result, the condition of the buses is not fantastic. Yes, they stop @ another station before heading to Bangna. In the meantime, you have to put up with the traffic jam along Sukhumvit before heading to expressway. When you arrive @ Pattaya North station, the sharks will all be waiting for you.

Pattaya North station is inconvenient as the ordinary baht buses are far and few since the sharks are already well ambushed at the station. So I think they have a mutual understanding not to step into each other's path.

You should take skytrain to Swampy for RR transfer to Pattaya. The buses are new and the spacious, unlike those stationed @ Ekkamai. You will most likely sit with Farangs or Japanese girls. Occasionally when your "jee woon" (Hokkien for luck) low, you will kanna a shitskin. And mind you, shitskin love sitting with clean-looking Chinese.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this is a fitting question to ask our big brother in Pattaya:

Is Uber legal in Pattaya ?

I am a little confused as to the situation. On the one hand, Uber seems to be everywhere. On the other hand, I have come across news that Uber drivers kanna whacked by yellow cab drivers in Pattaya.

In BKK, I don't need Uber because taxi is cheap. But Pattaya is a different kettle of fish altogether. Flag down fee is 200 baht !

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think this is a fitting question to ask our big brother in Pattaya:

Is Uber legal in Pattaya ?

I am a little confused as to the situation. On the one hand, Uber seems to be everywhere. On the other hand, I have come across news that Uber drivers kanna whacked by yellow cab drivers in Pattaya.

In BKK, I don't need Uber because taxi is cheap. But Pattaya is a different kettle of fish altogether. Flag down fee is 200 baht !
Illegal in Pattaya. Police and City Council don't really care. Its the mother fucker losers taxi drivers that create problem by targeting Uber drivers. Lots of Uber driver versus Pattaya taxi drivers clips on youtube. Pattaya taxi drivers are big robbers. Even the well to do locals or foreigners refuse to use their taxis. Myself never board a Pattaya taxi in my 10 over years stay here.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Specialty chicken restaurant, 200m from HHin iconic railway station. See press cutting
6FB0EAEB-565F-4D2E-9B51-B0428CD68CC1.jpeg
DE06DBCE-AE8C-4B29-A64B-04C74DCDA4CB.jpeg
6BA794B8-C2D6-4A2F-B95F-17197138F98F.jpeg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CF9AF194-9BB1-4F00-BE9E-5E8B022070A8.jpeg
E49D44E3-0256-4E27-AC45-15A90B4E2B0D.jpeg
DBF291F8-D369-4F77-B8AD-54689F523C71.jpeg
605C3B71-0691-4C81-A90A-AC8974FF028E.jpeg
B5D2C4B8-D02C-40CD-BDA8-6E1186F76F93.jpeg
1D852187-390F-4FF6-9774-D49E51148793.jpeg
615CB927-BF7A-40B8-B23E-E7EF3F58EDA0.jpeg
Besides the Isaan minced chicken, green curry, kanom jin - best fried chicken I done (beats KFC), and yummy 1 in batter. Great issan sauce to go. Shiok cendol too

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK, there are 4 bus routes to get to Pattaya from BKK.

1. Suvarnabhumi - Used Motorway 7. refer to earlier 2 posts
2 Ekkamai Bus Terminal - Run by Bor Kor Sor บขส. stands for Borisat Kon Song aka The Transport Company. I will talk about Bor Kor Sor บขส.in a seperate post when have time. Ticket price is 107 baht. Using BangNa - Chonburi line. Not using Motorway 7 (BKK- chonburi). Terminate at Pattaya North Bus Terminal. Recommend for those who need to transfer to MRT/BTS as the bus terminal is at Ekkamai Station. A bit slow during peak hours but non peak hours is OK. First bus in Pattaya departs at 4:30am (first bus to BKK is quite crowded. Go earlier if necessary)
3. Morchit 2 Bus Terminal (This is the mother of all bus terminals in Bangkok). Bor Kor Sor (The Transport Company)operate the buses to Pattaya as in Ekkamai. This place is big. You need to buy the ticket at Bor Kor Sor booth inside the main building first floor. Its 117 baht. The boarding platform is berth 78. Very easy. just walk towards to bus areas and walk to the first bus area. Turn right and walk towards the end until you see berth 78 Its right at the end. Think the bus schedule is almost same as Ekkamai.Uses Motorway 7 (same as Suvarnabhumi bus) Starts at 4:30 am and last bus is 10 or 11 pm. Recommend for those travelling to other provinces in north and northeast and nearby BKK provinces.Take note Morchit 2 bus terminal is quite far from Morchit Train station. Take a taxi or motorcycle taxi. Alternatively, take a rot Tu( mini bus) to pattaya.Its 120 baht and highly unrecommended.

4. Southern Bus terminal( Sai tai) Yes, there are bus to Pattaya to Sai Tai. Operate by Bor Kor Sor as well and terminates at Pattaya North as well. For those going or coming from Southwards, Phuket Krabi,Hatyai. etc Not sure about price and schedule cos never take this line.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just came back from Land Transport Department to renew my motorcycle license (5 years to 5 years). As usual, already there before 8am and already long queue outside the office waiting to get queue number.

Was given queue no.10 for license renewal. Went to second floor to submit documents. The officer will go through all the required documents and if everything ok, get another queue number and go to "training room 1" wait. This time I got queue number 24. Only test color blind and depth perception and also reflex test. Should take less than a minute to complete 3 test unless Pa Jiao cannot see the color. Saw first hand today a young Thai lady do have color blind problems and tester did not let her pass.Many KNNBCCB testees keep laughing and giggling when they saw the incident and that also make the young lady nervous. Really KKNCCB. Ai Kuai.

The three tests are done by groups of 20 person. Queue number is 24 so second group. After 3 groups of done, all go to room to watch 1 hour video on road safety. Its in Thai with English sub titles. After safety video finish. The officer will call out your number one by one and give you docuements to make payment at counter 15.

While waiting to make payment at queue for counter 15. Paid 350 baht for 5 years motorcycle and was given another queue number 89. The next queue iz to take photo and collect the final driving license ID card. Left the place at 11:15 am. Total time taken 3 hours 15 minutes.

Very familiar with the procedures cos 3 months ago just went to renew car driving license.

My advice when visiting government offices or department to apply something, be patient, be polite and dont put on that "whole world owe you money" kind of face and also never show the AMDK kind attitude. Smile and Jai Yen Yen and you will get your things done quickly.

Driving license layout slightly different from old ones.

Price for different type of license.

The one is car license. Renew 3 months ago.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The rich Thais go to Paragon, the poor Thais, The Mall @ Bangkapi. The Angmoh will not even touch MBK and other shopping centres in Rajadamri. Only Sinkies and China tourists congregate in those areas.

Add one more. The REAL rich Thais never shops in Thailand.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On Patts commute, if you are not khun diao (solo) -say if you are a duo, a private limo costing baht 1k maybe worth your while. Meet and greet at Swampy and direct transfer to your digs. Return only thb900. Can Line, WhatsApp or email to 2 reliable setups based in Patts. Try PT taxi +66 86 392 1240, 85 444 9035 Khun Toto (kid you not with his name). Tolls included with driver, tip thb100. But if you are 4 with luggage, they'll convince to set you up with a more expensive MPV. For Don Muang, expect price loading as it's across town

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uber in Chiangmai was still 'under cover' 3 months back in Aug. Prevalent, and you maybe asked to sit in front under guise, or even drop off away from the regular taxi or songtaew stands. Or risk kena pics taken and official complaints (or kena harassed Thai style).

But Grab's legit in Chiangmai and Krungthep, the irony. o_O

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to thank everyone for their contribution to this thread. It is well contributed for commuting around Bangkok and its vicinity.

I might use ying 's recommendation for travelling to pattaya.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On Patts commute, if you are not khun diao (solo) -say if you are a duo, a private limo costing baht 1k maybe worth your while. Meet and greet at Swampy and direct transfer to your digs. Return only thb900. Can Line, WhatsApp or email to 2 reliable setups based in Patts. Try PT taxi +66 86 392 1240, 85 444 9035 Khun Toto (kid you not with his name). Tolls included with driver, tip thb100. But if you are 4 with luggage, they'll convince to set you up with a more expensive MPV. For Don Muang, expect price loading as it's across town
Yup. If 2 and above or solo traveller with very big luggage. More worth to take taxi or limo.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....recommendation for travelling to pattaya.
Reminds me of my initial commute to Patts from Swampy, took cab from airport stand from a nocturnal flight at about 8+pm. Not only kena beat up taxi then, had to pay tolls enroute. And worse off, the old driver uncle pushing 70 years old had to pay bribe thb80 to a cop (for speeding?). If it was us a tanchart (foreigner), sure kena much more than local pricing. Then ignoramus me had to fork out thb1500 which was the going rate excluding tolls. And he was kinda blur to hotel on 2nd road.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uber in Chiangmai was still 'under cover' 3 months back in Aug. Prevalent, and you maybe asked to sit in front under guise, or even drop off away from the regular taxi or songtaew stands. Or risk kena pics taken and official complaints (or kena harassed Thai style).

But Grab's legit in Chiangmai and Krungthep, the irony. o_O
Many Thai commuters support Uber. Quite political cos' can lost lots of potential voters on both sides.As usual, such matters all kiv first. can push, push to others to be bad guys. Thats why until now, nothing happens. All waiting for others to be pai lang.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I see many Thai students eating at the various cheap(er)restaurants & the food courts in Siam Paragon. There are of course more expensive restaurants there which I never visit because I'm a penny pincher.

I like the spaciousness of the mall. When I was there they had a property fair. They had pretty models stationed for this event:smile: You will never find this at MBK.

There are other reasons to go Siam Paragon. They have all the offices of the phone companies e.g DTAC, AIS,... etc, banks, & the staff that understand English.

I see plenty of tourists at MBK including Angmos. Also saw Japanese students in their uniforms visiting from Japan. One can find many made in Thailand goods there. As well as electronics, packed local food stuffs, goldsmiths, card making, t-shirts,... etc.

I doubt that all tourists are looking for exclusive branded goods found at Siam Paragon.

Haven't been to Emporium in years but suspect that they are having problems competing with larger Malls like Siam & MBK.
FYI Kinokuniya has a store at Siam Paragon.