• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Covid Thailand today

Total New Cases 17,970 ( -57 )

Deaths 178 ( +45 )

TGUcDCY.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thought this was a good critique (given latest gag order)

FAKE NEWS, REAL NEWS, FAKE DEATHS – AND A PANICKY THAI GOV’T​

By
Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer Khao Sod
-
July 31, 2021 11:37 am
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2021/07/31/fake-news-real-news-fake-deaths-and-a-panicky-thai-govt/
S__35446865-696x464.jpg
People queue up for COVID-19 vaccines at the Bang Sue Grand Station on July 31, 2021.
lg.php

If you cannot control COVID-19 outbreak, then try controlling people’s perception about the outbreak instead. This is what the government of Gen Prayut Chan-ocha is desperately trying to do.

Fake news and even some real news are now effectively banned after an order was published in the Royal Gazette Thursday night. The National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) has been ordered to track fake news and pull the plug by suspending its internet service to the IP address and report those behind it to the police. This power,casted doubt by some legal experts whether it’s constitutional or not, is part of the current power exercised under the emergency decree.

But that’s not the end of it, even non-fake news “that may cause public fear” or “causing panic” among the public to the point where it affects “state security” or peace and order are being banned as well under the same order.

As if the regime couldn’t sink lower, a police spokesman on Thursday warned people not to fake collapse and COVID-19 deaths on the streets. This came after a week of widespread daily photos and video clips of people collapsing on the streets of Bangkok here and there while others watched in horror, waiting for first responders equipped with PPE suits to come first as bystanders refused to help fear becoming possibly getting themselves infected. Now the government and some of its supporters accuse its opponents of literally staging the sudden collapse and death on the streets to spread fears and panic. (If you are not paid to collapse and fake to die on the streets, my advice is you better not recover for you could be prosecuted as they suspect your collapsing was fake.)

Now, let’s start with the “fake deaths” on the streets. As of press time, the police have failed to arrest anyone despite claiming that there’s a conspiracy to stage and spread fears and panic. Until that’s done, I would have to give the benefit of the doubt to the disturbing photos and videos of those collapsing and in some cases dying on the streets as true. Violators could face up to two years in prison and/or a fine of up to 40,000 baht. (Incidentally it was Prayut himself who told related officials to ensure no one dies on the streets. Was Prayut a victim of fake news and staged sudden collapse and death on the streets as well?)

Now back to banning fake news. The best way to deal with fake news is to counter it with factual news, not by empowering a semi-independent state organ such as the NBTC, perceived as very docile to the government, the power to decide what websites or IP addresses could be chopped and censored. Such power with no oversight could be easily abused.

And what can I say about the same treatment to real news that instills “fears” and “causing panic” among the people that’s now also banned? Now, they are set to censor real news that is disturbing and this very disturbing in itself.

Real news such as 18,912 new infections or 178 deaths reported on a single day today can cause panic and fears but they are real – and the government reported it to the public. (Move Forward Party spokesman Wiroj Lakana-adisorn told me last week that with an average of 100+ deaths per day, it’s like a plane crashed on a daily basis now.) If you are worried about real news that may create panic and destabilize the government, you should work harder to get quality vaccines and not waste time and manpower by trying to control the plot through censorship and instilling fears among journalists and social media users.

The press should just ignore the order and continue to provide the public with COVID-19-related news that may be disturbing as long as it’s factual. Ignore a dictatorial regime desperate to control the narrative and go to the court to fight it out if necessary. This is because a society in a state of self-denial cannot solve its problems.
Stay calm everyone. Even if we are entering an even grimmer period of deaths, infections and economic crises, we have to face the mirror truthfully and not panic. If there’s anyone clearly panicking it’s the Thai regime which resorts to censorship to control COVID-19 damage – which is futile.

The government’s new tactics against fake news, fake deaths and even real news that may generate fears demonstrate that they distrust Thai citizens. The regime views citizens as immature, imbecile and unable to decide what to make of what they see and read.
It also says the regime is losing the plot and desperately wants to rewrite the plot to make it look better through fears and censorship. That’s definitely not the way to win against COVID-19 outbreak. The virus doesn’t treat self-denial kindly. That itself makes me panic, thinking that the government is sinking deeper into COVID defeat and denial.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lockdown extended, 16 provinces added

29 provinces are now in the dark red zone
Bangkok Post PUBLISHED : 1 AUG 2021 AT 17:45
A woman walks along an empty road ahead of the curfew in the Nonthaburi municipality on July 24, 2021. (Photo: Pormprom Satrabhaya)
A woman walks along an empty road ahead of the curfew in the Nonthaburi municipality on July 24, 2021. (Photo: Pormprom Satrabhaya)

The government has extended lockdown measures for two more weeks from Tuesday, with another 16 provinces added to the dark red zone of maximum restrictions to contain the Covid-19 pandemic.
Apisamai Srirangson, assistant spokeswoman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said on Sunday a curfew from 9pm-4am and other stiff measures will be imposed in Bangkok and 28 other provinces for two weeks from Tuesday.
The dark red zone will then cover 40% of the population and account for three-quarters of Thailand's gross domestic product

The CCSA will evaluate the situation again on Aug 18 and Dr Apisamai indicated that a further extension to the end of August was on the cards.

“It will be highly likely that the extension will continue until Aug 31” if the situation does not improve, she said.
The Covid-19 task force eased restrictions for restaurants in the dark red zones, allowing them to prepare take-home orders, but dining in is still banned.
Other restrictions include the closure of all stores in shopping malls at 8pm except for retailers deemed essential, such as supermarkets, chemists and those selling medical and communications equipment. No public transport is available from 9pm-4am.
The curfew and lockdown measures have been enforced in Greater Bangkok – Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom - and four southern provinces since July 12. Chon Buri, Chachoengsao and Ayutthaya were included on July 20.

The present measures will expire on Monday.
The meeting on Sunday was chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.
The CCSA added 16 more provinces to the dark red zone under lockdown restrictions:

• Ang Thong
  • Nakhon Nayok
  • Nakhon Ratchasima
  • Kanchanaburi
  • Lop Buri
  • Phetchabun
  • Phetchaburi
  • Prachuap Khiri Khan
  • Prachin Buri
  • Ratchaburi
  • Rayong
  • Samut Songkhram
  • Saraburi
  • Sing Buri
  • Suphan Buri
  • Tak
The additional 16 provinces have seen new cases surging, with new clusters in factories hampering industry and exports, the CCSA said.
Exports are now the key driver of the Thai economy following the collapse in tourism during the coronavirus pandemic.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/C...0&pub_date=20210802150000&seq_num=12&si=44594

Thailand extends pandemic measures, expands lockdown areas
Restrictions include travel curbs, mall closures and curfews

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%252Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%252Fimages%252F5%252F9%252F9%252F7%252F35657995-6-eng-GB%252FCropped-1627821846%2520Thailand%2520COVID%2520airport.jpg

A worker prepares a 1,800-bed field hospital set up inside a cargo building in Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok on July 29. © AP
August 1, 2021 21:46 JST

BANGKOK (Reuters) -- Thailand on Sunday extended tighter containment measures in the capital and high-risk provinces probably until the end of August in a bid to slow the spread of COVID-19 as the country deals with its biggest outbreak to date.

Thailand reported 18,027 infections and 133 deaths on Sunday, bringing the cumulative total to 615,314 cases and 4,990 fatalities, mostly from an outbreak since April that is being fueled by the highly transmissible Alpha and Delta variants.

The restrictions, including travel curbs, mall closures and curfews, will be expanded to 29 provinces classified as "dark red zone" from 13, Apisamai Srirangsan, spokeswoman for the government's COVID-19 task force, told a televised news briefing.

The measures will start on Tuesday for 14 days and will be reviewed on Aug. 18, she said.

"If the situation does not improve and is still worrying, the curbs will be extended to Aug. 31," she added.

Earlier on Sunday, government sources said the curbs would continue until the end of the month.

The number of infections in the provinces is now higher than in Bangkok, so containment measures have to be tightened to curb the spread, Apisamai said.

Restaurants in shopping malls will be allowed to open only for deliveries, while construction camps can also resume under "bubble and seal" measures, Apisamai said.

Last month, the government called on people to follow the restrictions, warning without cooperation record daily could reach 30,000 under a worse-case scenario.

The curbs has hit economic activity, and the finance ministry on Thursday slashed its 2021 economic growth forecast to 1.3% from 2.3% seen earlier.

Thailand started its mass vaccination drive in June and aims to inoculate 50 million people by the end of the year. But so far, only 5.8% of its more than 66 million population are fully vaccinated, while about 21% have received at least one dose.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
@Froggy How does this compare with the Fortuner?

Sorry I really can’t tell you anything except the Fortuna I’m Thailand is much much more popular than the Mu

if you ask me about the truck I can tell you my preference is the Toyota Revo in terms of comfort ride. Then again this is subjective to individual as I prefer a truck to be more “car” like as I don’t go into the bush.

Coming back to your question about these 2 SUVs I’ve been spoilt by the RX for more than 15 years so I really cannot comment.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sorry I really can’t tell you anything except the Fortuna I’m Thailand is much much more popular than the Mu

if you ask me about the truck I can tell you my preference is the Toyota Revo in terms of comfort ride. Then again this is subjective to individual as I prefer a truck to be more “car” like as I don’t go into the bush.

Coming back to your question about these 2 SUVs I’ve been spoilt by the RX for more than 15 years so I really cannot comment.

I remembered that you chose the Isuzu over the Toyota pickup.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I remembered that you chose the Isuzu over the Toyota pickup.

Yes that was my first pickup Isuzu V-Cross got it early 2012, at that time this was the latest or newest pick-up truck launched in Thailand.

Came 2015 when Toyota launched their 8th generation Hilux known as Revo I bought and got it on October 17th. It's been 6 years. If there is going to be a 9th generation Hilux I will definitely go get it. My maid use it more than I.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Covid Thailand today, another record breaking high for new cases, we are nearing the 20,000 cases per day very soon

Total New Cases 18,901 ( +931 )

Deaths 147 ( -31 )

3MdHpxS.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally the 20,000 number had been breached, also a record number of daily deaths

Total New Cases 20,200 ( +1,299 )

Deaths 188 ( +41 )

aAKsdfR.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Pi...10&pub_date=20210804150000&seq_num=7&si=44594

Bangkok's streets expose Southeast Asia's new divides
Throughout the region, the pandemic is causing suicides, widening inequality and growing unrest

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%252Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%252Fimages%252F1%252F7%252F4%252F4%252F35614471-4-eng-GB%252FCropped-16280419170805TL1.jpg

People line up for free food at a slum area following the COVID-19 outbreak, in Bangkok in April 2020. © Reuters
MICHAEL VATIKIOTISAugust 4, 2021 11:06 JST

The young woman stared blankly into the middle distance. At 6:30 a.m. there was no particular reason to be sitting on the steps of a shuttered shop house along Bangkok's Sukhumvit Road, her arms draped over a few belongings in shopping bags, except that she was homeless.

Unlike the beggars I usually see in dirt-streaked rags by the side of one of Bangkok's busiest streets, this woman looked as if she had only recently lost her home. There was a flash of shock and trauma, instead of despair, in her eyes.

This is the fate of many Thais -- no one is sure how many -- who until recently had jobs that paid enough to live in the city. She might have worked at a hair salon or as a waitress or a store assistant. Then the pandemic suddenly closed businesses, and for those who can't return to their provinces or have no family to take them in, the only option is the street.

Some economists have argued that despite lockdowns imposed across Southeast Asia since March 2020 there has been remarkable economic resilience and even some upside. Exports have increased because of growing demand as the vaccinated developed world recovers from the pandemic. Investment is rebounding and equity markets are healthy due to excess liquidity.

But the macroeconomic figures tell only part of the story.

Suicide rates in the region have soared as young people have seen their aspirations evaporate. The problem is worst in Thailand, where the World Health Organization estimates that someone attempts suicide every 10 minutes. In one high-profile instance, a young Thai singer, out of work for more than a year, threw herself off a building. In mid-July, a pair of street food vendors hanged themselves after being chased by loan sharks.

Thais are not good at working from home. They are intensely social beings: The workplace is for mingling and eating fruit on sticks or slurping noodles. With these small social pleasures denied, they huddle in small, airless apartments, often in unhappy or abusive relationships from which there is no escape, worrying at the same time about older family members.

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%252Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%252Fimages%252F_aliases%252Farticleimage%252F4%252F0%252F8%252F4%252F35614804-5-eng-GB%252FCropped-1627566060TL3.jpg

Migrant construction workers, some wearing face masks, travel in the back of a crew cab in Bangkok in May 2020. © AP

Fai, the young singer who died by suicide, wrote a song about hanging out at 7-Eleven stores. To the accompaniment of the familiar ding-dong sound of their automatic sliding-doors, I often see small groups of young people mingling with the Grab drivers who populate street corners, drinking beer and eating instant noodles astride their parked motorcycles.

Another prominent group of victims are migrant workers, who for the most part fall between the cracks because they are the first to be laid off and mostly don't qualify for government health schemes. In Singapore, where 300,000 mostly Chinese and South Asian migrant workers live in dormitories, COVID-19 meant an effective prison sentence as they were locked down for weeks. Movement controls remained in place even as infection rates came under control.

In Bangkok, some 80,000 construction workers, mostly migrants, are confined, relying on food and water distributed by local charities because their employers and government agencies do little or nothing to support them.

Across Southeast Asia, the pandemic has exposed class divisions. Until recently, air-conditioned shopping malls in Bangkok stayed open to cater to mainly middle-class shoppers. Meanwhile, in the lobby of my condominium, a recent notice warned residents to avoid contact with people from a nearby slum area. In Malaysia, the authorities installed barbed wire on the staircases of low-cost housing units to prevent residents from leaving until a public outcry forced their removal.

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%252Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%252Fimages%252F_aliases%252Farticleimage%252F3%252F7%252F5%252F4%252F35614573-8-eng-GB%252FCropped-16280420310805TL2.jpg

A woman wearing a face mask uses her phone at a shopping mall that is getting ready to reopen amid the outbreak of the COVID-19 in Bangkok in May 2020. © Reuters

In a region plagued by endemic inequality, there's a pronounced vaccine divide: The rich manage either to import Western vaccines (which is not supposed to be possible in most countries) or travel to the U.S. and Europe to get their jabs. Some have collected a cocktail of different vaccines -- just to make sure. Meanwhile, the average Thai must queue overnight to get a free COVID-19 test, needed if he or she wants to return to a workplace, because the alternative is a test at a private hospital that costs $100 or more.

In Malaysia, which has been particularly hard hit by rising infection rates and an extended lockdown, people have taken to flying white flags outside their homes to signify they need support -- mostly food. An app has been created by students to identify those in need and connect them to sources of help. Food banks have sprung up, and businesses and citizens have responded by contributing whatever they can. A recent government survey indicated that up to 7 million Malaysians working in the small business sector could lose their jobs because of the pandemic.

Leaving aside the question of employment, basic survival is now a priority in some parts of the region. My social media feed is filled with horrifying scenes of people queuing for oxygen in downtown Yangon, where friends tell me there are no doctors, no hospitals and no escape from the virus.

The question I ask myself is whether there will be a political price to pay. Will mass protests ensue and governments fall? I lived through Thailand's financial crisis in 1997, which fueled popular anger, forced the elected government to resign, ushered in a controversial populist leader and seeded subsequent years of street protests and two military coups. All that has resulted in a deeply divided society. By the end of June there were fresh stirrings of protest -- long lines of cars carrying signs demanding that the military-backed government resign. (It is illegal and risky to march.)

From a practical viewpoint, it is more important for the public to push governments to accelerate vaccinations, since ousting their leaders would only slow the process. Many people have no time for anger as they scan social media for news about the sick and dying. In Indonesia, Facebook has become an obituary, with an average of more than 900 people dying every day in July. There will be a time for retribution later.

Along Sukhumvit Road, I notice that the roadside stalls that used to do a brisk trade in street food have started to diversify, selling masks or fresh vegetables since people are no longer allowed to eat there. Bangkok is quiet by early evening as the traffic dies down in a city that once never slept. Even the dogs have no interest in howling.

Michael Vatikiotis is the author of "Blood and Silk: Power and Conflict in Modern Southeast Asia" (2017).

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
20k is now the new norm, I'm sure if there have more testing facilities the numbers will go through the roof:

Another record high for daily new cases:

Total New Cases 20,920 ( +720 )

Deaths 160 ( -28 )

M4slpAj.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Record breaking Friday

Total New Cases 21,379 ( +459 )

Deaths 191 ( +31 )

PH9XAsH.jpg