• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean True Story

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
I previously helped a person to post here, this is another writing from this person via email:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-size-adjust: inherit; font-stretch: inherit;" valign="top">Hey UY

here is another story from me

Sinkapoor’s Decline – A True Story

I just visited the Katong area. The ‘real district 15’. The oo-lui district 15, Tanjong Rhu-Meyer Road-Mountbatten area. Wah lao, these are Real Houses sia.

I first saw them in the 1970s.

My parents took my brother there to look at Chung Cheng, so I tagged along reluctantly. As a kid, I was damn scared of Chinese schools because the teachers were famous for being fierce.

Those houses got real trees, got real porch that whole extended family can stand on and take photo, got real driveway that you can drive along, got real Chinese stone table with stone seats outside, got real swing, got real courtyard, got real balcony (those old style ones big enough to play badminton on), got real Chinese stone lion outside the house, got real little covered shed located some distance from house to park car underneath.

Readers, u know what I toking about? If you are young and non-elite, if you grew up in a Lesser Mortals’ HDB region, you may never have seen that kind of house.

I’m not talking about the Westernized people’s residences at Nassim Road or Caldecott Hill. I wasn’t brought up to aspire to angmoh houses. Especially now, all that angmoh glass-box houses, no privacy one.

I mean those old-style Chinese houses for prosperous Chinese businessmen in Nanyang. The kind that don’t have glass wall for the hall, but got metal sliding grille. The kind that use the small old-style mosaic tile for the floor. The kind that got the Chinese-style window grille, old style switch that you flick one, KDK fans from the ceiling. That is a house. That’s what I was brought up to think as a Chinese.

The key word from last paragraph is Prosperous.

Last time huh, if you work hard, have some friends or a few connections to help (not say high end connections lah, just some kang tao), got some brains or entrepreneurial mindset, after 20 years you can have this kind of house.

When I walked past, I never thought these people are gods. Like Chung Cheng high school, these people are inspirations for our Chinese values. Hard work, dilligence, self-restraint, deferred gratification, honesty and commitment = prosperity. Comfortable life, family, relax on holidays.

Now? Bu Ke Neng! (This is a reference to an old laundry ad in the 1980s, hehheh)

Social and income equality super high. The Greater Immortals have enjoyed their fengshen yanyi. Lesser mortals like us, how to aspire even to landed property? Can afford a basic HDB already tou1 xiao4. Can buy a freehold condo, fall on knees and thank heaven thank earth. Work 40 years also not sure of anything. Everything must compete with almost 7 billion people. Connections must run all the way to Singapore Cricket Club and Raffles Marina.

WTF!!!!

I think about one of my uncles, a doctor in Malaysia.
(actually he’s not my uncle but forgot the chim chim descriptors in Chinese, so luckily can use ang moh word Uncle as a cover all descriptor)

This uncle is a standard small-town doctor in an ulu place. His patients don’t pay him a lot. He has no connections and doesn’t por any lampars. He works, then goes home to relax. Very ordinary Malaysian Chinese, family oriented guy without tons of friends.

He is damn risk adverse. Never do risky investments, never ‘wan2 gu3 piao4’.

Ei, but his house damn tua.

Got land, got courtyard, got lots of fruit trees, got separate wings, you can actually walk from one part of a room to another part of the same room. You can actually stride across the bathrooms. Kids can actually sprint across the hall. Got multiple storerooms that you can walk inside.

The bedroom my family slept in when we visited him is much bigger than your average Shoebox apartment in Singapore. His hall is bigger than most HDBs now.

Yes, I understand the old mantra. Yes, under PAP Singapore was transformed from 18<sup>th</sup> Level of Hell in 1965 to 9<sup>th</sup> Level of Heaven in 1984. I don’t want to dispute the Conservative lao-bu-si argument.

But since 1984, PAP got improve our living standard meh? 90% of the population go downhill, 9% keeping pace with inflation due to Running Dog Civil Servant salaries, 1% elite become super rich.

The HDB Lesser Mortals, are they really stupid and brainwashed, or are they just Ah Qs?

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
90% of the population have to go downhill for another 500% more new Singaporeans .

The zest of it all ...

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
easy to say malaysia got lots of space, property cheap etc... but don't compare kampung with city...

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pap is super great with statistics

but a nice place to live?

Far from it!

Unless you enjoy squeezing with millions of people and smelling their armpits during this announcement

may we have your attention please!

No thank u I prefer to live in the suburbs!

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
If every kampung resident in Tamil Nadu and PRC can come here as FT and lower our wages,

Of course is OK to compare with kampung.

Kampung people like to come here to make money. PAP is making use of their love for Sinkapoor to make them new citizens and get their votes.

since PAP like to compare Ministar Salaries with top MNC CEO salaries

We also can compare our crowded shitholes with big, spacious homes in rural Asia. It's fair.

easy to say malaysia got lots of space, property cheap etc... but don't compare kampung with city...

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm trying to figure out how he came up with the conclusion that 90% of the population have gone down hill. More pple can afford to and are travelling overseas(record sales at travel fair) and IT products have become a norm in SG and no longer a luxury. We have one of the highest Internet Broadband penetration in the world along with one of the highest handphone ownership rate. If what he said was true and that 90% of the population in SG is going backwards, I wonder why they can afford more things now then they did back then

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... But since 1984, PAP got improve our living standard meh? 90% of the population go downhill, 9% keeping pace with inflation due to Running Dog Civil Servant salaries, 1% elite become super rich. ...
wat happened in 1984 dat caused tis change? ... earthquake? flood? or wat? ... :confused: ... rid dat root of ze prob ... :cool:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I previously helped a person to post here, this is another writing from this person via email:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-size-adjust: inherit; font-stretch: inherit;" valign="top">Hey UY

here is another story from me

Sinkapoor’s Decline – A True Story

I just visited the Katong area. The ‘real district 15’. The oo-lui district 15, Tanjong Rhu-Meyer Road-Mountbatten area. Wah lao, these are Real Houses sia.

I first saw them in the 1970s.

My parents took my brother there to look at Chung Cheng, so I tagged along reluctantly. As a kid, I was damn scared of Chinese schools because the teachers were famous for being fierce.

Those houses got real trees, got real porch that whole extended family can stand on and take photo, got real driveway that you can drive along, got real Chinese stone table with stone seats outside, got real swing, got real courtyard, got real balcony (those old style ones big enough to play badminton on), got real Chinese stone lion outside the house, got real little covered shed located some distance from house to park car underneath.

Readers, u know what I toking about? If you are young and non-elite, if you grew up in a Lesser Mortals’ HDB region, you may never have seen that kind of house.

I’m not talking about the Westernized people’s residences at Nassim Road or Caldecott Hill. I wasn’t brought up to aspire to angmoh houses. Especially now, all that angmoh glass-box houses, no privacy one.

I mean those old-style Chinese houses for prosperous Chinese businessmen in Nanyang. The kind that don’t have glass wall for the hall, but got metal sliding grille. The kind that use the small old-style mosaic tile for the floor. The kind that got the Chinese-style window grille, old style switch that you flick one, KDK fans from the ceiling. That is a house. That’s what I was brought up to think as a Chinese.

The key word from last paragraph is Prosperous.

Last time huh, if you work hard, have some friends or a few connections to help (not say high end connections lah, just some kang tao), got some brains or entrepreneurial mindset, after 20 years you can have this kind of house.

When I walked past, I never thought these people are gods. Like Chung Cheng high school, these people are inspirations for our Chinese values. Hard work, dilligence, self-restraint, deferred gratification, honesty and commitment = prosperity. Comfortable life, family, relax on holidays.

Now? Bu Ke Neng! (This is a reference to an old laundry ad in the 1980s, hehheh)

Social and income equality super high. The Greater Immortals have enjoyed their fengshen yanyi. Lesser mortals like us, how to aspire even to landed property? Can afford a basic HDB already tou1 xiao4. Can buy a freehold condo, fall on knees and thank heaven thank earth. Work 40 years also not sure of anything. Everything must compete with almost 7 billion people. Connections must run all the way to Singapore Cricket Club and Raffles Marina.

WTF!!!!

I think about one of my uncles, a doctor in Malaysia.
(actually he’s not my uncle but forgot the chim chim descriptors in Chinese, so luckily can use ang moh word Uncle as a cover all descriptor)

This uncle is a standard small-town doctor in an ulu place. His patients don’t pay him a lot. He has no connections and doesn’t por any lampars. He works, then goes home to relax. Very ordinary Malaysian Chinese, family oriented guy without tons of friends.

He is damn risk adverse. Never do risky investments, never ‘wan2 gu3 piao4’.

Ei, but his house damn tua.

Got land, got courtyard, got lots of fruit trees, got separate wings, you can actually walk from one part of a room to another part of the same room. You can actually stride across the bathrooms. Kids can actually sprint across the hall. Got multiple storerooms that you can walk inside.

The bedroom my family slept in when we visited him is much bigger than your average Shoebox apartment in Singapore. His hall is bigger than most HDBs now.

Yes, I understand the old mantra. Yes, under PAP Singapore was transformed from 18<sup>th</sup> Level of Hell in 1965 to 9<sup>th</sup> Level of Heaven in 1984. I don’t want to dispute the Conservative lao-bu-si argument.

But since 1984, PAP got improve our living standard meh? 90% of the population go downhill, 9% keeping pace with inflation due to Running Dog Civil Servant salaries, 1% elite become super rich.

The HDB Lesser Mortals, are they really stupid and brainwashed, or are they just Ah Qs?

</td></tr></tbody></table>

So what are you trying to say? You are jealous ????

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. honest, thank you for the article.
2. yes, it has also reminded me of old katong when i was a young person.
3. back then, life is simpler and carefree, no way it was like today.
4. one "tay ban guan" was enough along east coast road.
5. and the oden katong carpark food in the evening.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
One: technology change has nothing to do with PAP. Even if you live in Pakistan or Iran, you also can have access to broadband. Even Tibetan nomads now have handphone.

Two: Last time sinkies have 6.4 kids with single income daddy who retired at 55. Now Sinkies must dual income with 1.1 kids and retire damn old.

Are sinkies now more stressed or less stressed? :mad::mad::mad:

I'm trying to figure out how he came up with the conclusion that 90% of the population have gone down hill. More pple can afford to and are travelling overseas(record sales at travel fair) and IT products have become a norm in SG and no longer a luxury. We have one of the highest Internet Broadband penetration in the world along with one of the highest handphone ownership rate. If what he said was true and that 90% of the population in SG is going backwards, I wonder why they can afford more things now then they did back then

pocoyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always wondered why the oldman chased all the villagers to HDB.

One article I read says the oldman is scared that the rural area in SG would scare away foreign investors. But I always suspect it's something more than that.

Anyone know the true reason?

Starving.Artist

Alfrescian
Loyal
dont con yourself... in the old days not everyone lived in goodman road area too.. the lesser incomed lived in kampungs... and the fortunate had bungalows... somewhat fortunate had wood bungalows and very fortunate had stone... the in betweens had the lower half brick and upper half in wood.... ..

i dont think though its about the house.. i think its about the Quality of Life.. because i think regardless of where you stayed... kampung or bungalow.. you had a better quality of life.. then again expectations were a lot lower too.. we didnt mind a bit of m&d or chicken shit or occasional flooding... if you had to deal with rats, cobras, chicken shit all day and worry whether tonights rain will flood your house you would be kissing HDB flats.