• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean Singapore Identity

ttan77

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what the PAP Government or whoever form the Government should follow the basic principle of Singaporean Singapore in integrating the different races including... the newly immigrants to establish a common identity.

Maybe can we suggest in this informal thread... what make us a Singaporean Singapore identity a.k.a Uniquely Singapore... can range from the makan, sports, cultural... ...

1. HDB flat, shophouses, wetmarket (not those new-generation HDB shopping malls)
2. Singlish
3. NS slangs... Knock it Down... Chao Kang...
4. Our very own soccer league... S-League
5. SM (2 to be exact), MM

How many of the PRs and new citizens have the strong nationalism feeling with it?

Like Kit Chan's National Day song... "Home"... make me feel soooo warm when I hear it overseas...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You've just listed down everything that makes the country an international disgrace. :rolleyes:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Sinkieland, EVERYTHING needs to be in point form. Peasants don't understand long sentences.

Long or short sentences, culture is not cultivated through making a list.

Americans don't tell you that they love their country because of Liberty Statue, California beaches etc. They just feel at home.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Americans don't tell you that they love their country because of Liberty Statue, California beaches etc. They just feel at home.

Singaporeans don't have a home. Any Tom, Dick and Sammy can walk into the country and with a red carpet welcome thrown in.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans don't have a home. Any Tom, Dick and Sammy can walk into the country and with a red carpet welcome thrown in.

It's the same with Australia and Canada. Do they see their country as less than a home than Singaporeans? Ironically many Singaporeans become "FT" there.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It's the same with Australia and Canada. Do they see their country as less than a home than Singaporeans? Ironically many Singaporeans become "FT" there.

I don't know about Canada but OZ definitely does not afford a red carpet welcome to new arrivals. Chances are they'll get their asses kicked.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know about Canada but OZ definitely does not afford a red carpet welcome to new arrivals. Chances are they'll get their asses kicked.

How would you define a "red carpet welcome"? The fact is that doors are open and from what I know the % of foreigners in OZ is higher but I stand corrected.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
A "red carpet welcome" for new immigrants is one in which they are treated better than existing citizens as is the case in Singapore.

Any examples? Other than NS, of course.

Since you are familiar with OZ case, perhaps share what are the policies of citizens over foreigners.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Any examples? Other than NS, of course.

Since you are familiar with OZ case, perhaps share what are the policies of citizens over foreigners.

I'm not going to rehash the whole list. The subject has been covered in numerous threads eg grants given to foreign students, companies that hire non singaporeans to replace sinkies etc etc. Do a search.

In OZ, it's pretty hard to get PR in the first place. There's a long waiting list.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
A "red carpet welcome" for new immigrants is one in which they are treated better than existing citizens as is the case in Singapore.
Sep 12, 2009
Medical School and the Uselessness of Being A Citizen

Not too long ago, I gave an example of how Singapore discriminates against its own citizens, in favour of foreigners, when providing opportunities for higher education. The New Paper picked up the story, and followed up by interviewing the Vice-Dean of the NUS Law Faculty.

J, a reader of my blog, just emailed me to share his own story. J's account relates to his own application to Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School (which is located at the Singapore General Hospital but is part of NUS).

Based on what J says, this does not really strike me as an example of Singapore discriminating against Singaporean students, in favour of foreign students. This is more an example of the authorities treating foreigners and Singapore citizens exactly on par (in other words, citizenship has no advantages). It is also an example of the Singaporean tax-payer's money being used to pay for the education of foreigners.

It's important to understand that unlike, say, Harvard in the United States, NUS is not a private university, operating on its own private funds. If NUS were a private university, then it should be fully entitled to make its own decisions as to whose education it wants to subsidise. However, NUS is funded by taxpayers' money (YOUR money, and mine).

Therefore I feel that it's important that this issue receives some scrutiny. Well, at least my blog will help to raise some public awareness.

Anyway, J's email is reproduced in full below. I've made a few editorial changes, mainly for clarity (and also to make J's identity less traceable).

Hi Mr Wang,

I read your post on education in singapore some time back. Recently, I have been busy with my application to Duke-Nus Graduate Medical School. It is the second medical school in singapore and is funded by the Ministry of Health. They conducted a series of admission seminars recently ... I [also] had a long chat with the admissions officer ....

From both the seminar and the admission officer i came to know that:

(1) there are thousands of applicants each year with a very significant proportion of students from overseas

(2) there are NO QUOTAS reserved for singaporeans

(3) foreigners ARE eligible for our tuition fee loan of up to 90% of course fees.

(4) Foreigners CAN serve their bond in their countries if their families are not in singapore (although this is subject to approval, it makes you wonder why bond them at all?)

.... I really begin to wonder if my very own country whom I had sworn to protect when I was 18 is really worthy of my protection.

Regards,
J

Posted by Mr Wang Says So 77 comments Links to this Post

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another one President powerless. Not like in US,Russia and China where President hole bigger power.
All country their President are more powerful than Prime Minister. Just like our neighbour Indonesia.