• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A more neutral platform to handle errant lawyers, fee guidelines needed.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not easy to remain the highest earning salaried professionals in Singapore :
ST23Mar2007-%20Why%20pay%20must%20go%20up.JPG

voices
A more neutral platform to handle errant lawyers, fee guidelines needed

TODAY file photo

FROM
DARREN HO MENG KIT
PUBLISHED: 8:50 PM, NOVEMBER 2, 2017
I had the opportunity of engaging legal counsel for a personal matter recently. It was an arduous and intimidating process, to say the least.
Despite approaching more than 20 legal firms and eventually engaging five different firms, I was unable to find a lawyer whom I could trust to represent me.
Issues surrounding legal fees and the integrity of lawyers are often left unspoken. In almost all my encounters, the lawyers arbitrarily set their fees and the initial quotation provided to me differed significantly from what the eventual charges were.
Most of the lawyers were also not forthcoming with their advice and assessment of the case facts, and I felt they were simply “baiting” me.
While I understand lawyers in Singapore are governed by the Law Society, I am concerned about whether it is the most appropriate and neutral platform to oversee the conduct of members of their own profession.
The process for recourse against errant lawyers should also be made simpler and more transparent to members of the public.
Finally, I feel there should be some fee guidelines which are published to avoid lawyers overcharging clients.
The efficient and above-board functioning of the legal process is critical to the integrity of the judicial system in Singapore. While we have become a developed and litigious society, we must not allow bureaucracy and commercial considerations to detract from serving the purpose of justice.

https://m.todayonline.com/voices/more-neutral-platform-handle-errant-lawyers-fee-guidelines-needed