• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A dark day in the photography market.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
One of my favorite light set ups is dual strip lights with grid.

1593080684348.png

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is on my shopping list. :x3: I have to confess that I don't own a snoot. I just use a roll of black paper whenever I need one.

1593080771159.png

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Up until two years ago, I was still lugging around my Nikon camera on overseas trips when everyone else were using their smartphones. I have joined the crowd, because phone cameras take pretty awesome photos too, and they are more convenient.
Problem with phone cameras is that the pictures are heavily processed in order to look good, which are more than sufficient for social media.
One just cannot fool the laws of optics if you want good quality from a small sensor.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh come on, anyone who wanna look cool and be accepted in the inner photography circle wouldn’t be caught using a Olympus.

It’s either Nikon or Canon. A respectable third is Sony.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh come on, anyone who wanna look cool and be accepted in the inner photography circle wouldn’t be caught using a Olympus.

It’s either Nikon or Canon. A respectable third is Sony.
Not everyone is a herd-mentality sheep like you. And not everyone loves lugging heavy equipment to show them off at Peninsula Shopping Centre food court on a Saturday afternoon.

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Olympus has the best film camera ever made with its sophisticated multi-spot metering from the 80s. Sadly it didn't get the recognition it deserves because it gave users too much control over exposure.

View attachment 84258
I still have my OM-4TI! Yes, it was the best, but Olympus marketing could never compete against Nikon on those days. Was surprised to see Canon come to dominate the pro scene, they always had slightly soft lenses in those days.

Surprised also to see how many (blackmondy, ah sam, nightsafari, etc. all) had Olympus cameras. Always thought they were a under appreciated and at the fringe. I’ll hang on to my TG Tough, E-M5 i, E-M1 ii, and 7 lenses until I kick the bucket then. Don’t see anything worth buying now. Cellphones convenient, but just not good enough for good shots.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still have my OM-4TI! Yes, it was the best, but Olympus marketing could never compete against Nikon on those days. Was surprised to see Canon come to dominate the pro scene, they always had slightly soft lenses in those days.

Surprised also to see how many (blackmondy, ah sam, nightsafari, etc. all) had Olympus cameras. Always thought they were a under appreciated and at the fringe. I’ll hang on to my TG Tough, E-M5 i, E-M1 ii, and 7 lenses until I kick the bucket then. Don’t see anything worth buying now. Cellphones convenient, but just not good enough for good shots.
Finally ! Met a kaki that can appreciate the technology in this underrated flagship. It's also the first SLR that supports HSS.
Do you use the F280 flash with it for HSS ? If so, what's your experience ?

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alan Photo has its group of hardcore (usually ah beng) fanboys. But I expect it to be raped by the rent of the new hipster Funan mall. :biggrin:
Just because their clientele are mostly Lao inkers in their late 40s and 50s there's no need to call them ah Beng.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
My first digital camera was a Fuji.

Anyone still remember Clik drives? Back those days the problem was storage. Those flash cards had so little memory.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Problem with phone cameras is that the pictures are heavily processed in order to look good, which are more than sufficient for social media.
One just cannot fool the laws of optics if you want good quality from a small sensor.
I agree. There is quality compromise when using a phone camera. But I am not in the habit of using those photo enhancing apps. To me, the photo quality is good enough for my application. Vacation shots, product shots, etc.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree. There is quality compromise when using a phone camera. But I am not in the habit of using those photo enhancing apps. To me, the photo quality is good enough for my application. Vacation shots, product shots, etc.
You don't have to. The camera is already doing those photo-enhancing automatically after you have taken the shot.
Sadly for some reason, we value convenience more than quality these days.....

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Actually the best camera phone was made by Panasonic. It is the only phone with a 1-inch sensor. Panasonic just didn't market it well enough.

So they created a phone around a camera. No wonder it looks like a camera and has those high camera specs, for a phone.

Today, which phone do you reckon has the best camera?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So they created a phone around a camera. No wonder it looks like a camera and has those high camera specs, for a phone.

Today, which phone do you reckon has the best camera?
A lot depends on the software. I'm using Xiaomi A2 and it gave me very good results.
Here's an example SOOC. I'm really impressed by the dynamic range and sharpness coming from a phone.

IMG_20200602_183336.jpg

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-26 000829.jpg
    Annotation 2020-06-26 000829.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you want to take videos with your phone, iPhone is still the gold standard. Videos taken with Android phones are always unsatisfactory in some things.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
A lot depends on the software. I'm using Xiaomi A2 and it gave me very good results.
Here's an example SOOC. I'm really impressed by the dynamic range and sharpness coming from a phone.

View attachment 84331
Yeah, that's a beautiful shot. Will bear Xiaomi A2 or it's successor in mind during my next phone change. I am still using my trusty Samseng S7 :biggrin:

What is SOOC?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you want to take videos with your phone, iPhone is still the gold standard. Videos taken with Android phones are always unsatisfactory in some things.
You need to root your Android phone and sideload Google Gcam for best results, provided you have good optics to begin with.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Nooooooooo thanks, Mr Apple Fanboy. I hate the fact that since day one, they use proprietary hardware and software. They do their darnest to lock in users. Someone gifted me an iPad a few years ago, I gave it away.

images