• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A byproduct of the current education system at this point is just another form of elitism

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read an insightful and thought-provoking article written by Yann Wong on board a flight. Perhaps because of the hours of enforced solitude (i.e. without the distractions of mobile phones, TVs and various other forms of distraction), I was able to think about what it was in the article that resonated with me

Perhaps, it is the idea that Singapore has somehow created a system of meritocracy that in reality creates ivory towers and division. But in the same vein, we are so trapped in that system because we have been conditioned to be so entrenched in the system that we have lost the ability to critically analyse it. Are we too close to the picture to really appreciate the full picture? Or, are we too proud to recognise the fragilities of our system? Maybe, in our stellar rise from third world to first, we have allowed hubris to become greater than logic?

When Singapore began its meteoric rise from former British colony to an economic power house, the world was a very different place. At that time, we were in an age where the "knowledge" workers were required and in scarce supply. Few could afford an education and were stuck in a cycle of blue collar work. So began an education system that churned out "professionals" to serve this need. The thing about knowledge acquired to serve a purpose is that it can be learned - it does not require supreme critical thinking or in fact much thinking outside the box. It was about "programming" an individual with the right skills to do a high level job. By high level, I don't mean inventing a cure for cancer. I just mean a desk bound job that is not blue collar work.

With this type of education system, we have, fast forward 50 years, created a scenario whereby we no longer understand why it is that we have to learn something - just that it is in the syllabus and we need it to get good grades which then leads to a piece of paper we call "qualification". I am certainly guilty of this. I did well in exams but honestly, can I remember much of what I studied? The brutal truth is a resounding no. This begs the question - were the hours of stress and endless sleepless nights of cramming worth it after all? I performed well in school but now on hindsight, it was without much understanding. I simply studied enough to get A1 – that is very different from having a thorough understanding of the subject matter. I sometimes wonder if the teachers themselves had a full understanding of the knowledge they were supposed to impart to us.

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2018/06/a-byproduct-of-current-education-system.html