• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

95% Job Applicants FTRrash Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Job seekers with foreign-sounding names have it tough
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Wednesday's letter by Ms Ruchika Tulshyan, 'Application-unfriendly Singapore'. She hit the nail on the head.
Having been in a similar situation, I have often wondered if companies here are serious about getting good people on board. Being ignored by the human resource department or getting the same rote answers can be extremely demoralising and deflating.
As a permanent resident, I understand that companies here want to consider citizens first, but Ms Ruchika's letter made it clear that is not the case either. So who do they shortlist? And why do they not have the courtesy to reply?
I have a friend working as an assistant HR manager in a mid-sized engineering firm. What she told me shocked me to the core. She said whenever her company places a recruitment advertisement for any position, its inbox is flooded with resumes - mostly from citizens of the Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar and China. Only about 10 per cent are from Singapore citizens or PRs.
Since my friend's team do not have time to sift through each and every curriculum vitae, they just delete any e-mail from a foreign-sounding name. I was shocked as my name sounds foreign too. I started to write as the first line of any cover letter I sent: 'I am a PR, living and working in Singapore for X years now.' But then, some do not even get to read the cover letter at all.
There is a vast pool of untapped talent here and only if those in important positions are mindful of their responsibility will things improve. Amit Nagpal

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
With so many people chasing after so few job openings, a lot will depend on your lucky star for your resume to be pick up by the HR personnels.

However, I seriously doubt that S'pore companies will pick s'pore citizens over foreigners. Everything being equal, it boils down to cost and that means foreigners are more likely to be chosen over s'pore citizens as foreigners can afford to have lower wages as their families are mostly in low cost third world countries.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
A.T.T.I.T.U.D.E

hahahahahahaha

What recession? Life is damn good. Business is thundering ahead. I'm expanding and hiring

mockingbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
U are right because the interviewer is likely to be FT who would select someone from his own country.

U are right because ah pu neh neh from India will always choose their own kind for their departments so that they can help cover one another asses.