• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

72.3% drive their children in flashy car to elite schools

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fact is ACS is just a convenient scapegoat. You can find snobbery in all the gov't aided schools like RI, Chinese High,...

Spore is a very class conscious society. The problem started long ago with LKY.

Class is a problem in all societies and it was there even before LKY. The question is whether he made it worse. As long as class does not become caste, and there is scope for social mobility for all, then so be it as not everyone can make it. That's a fact.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fact is ACS is just a convenient scapegoat. You can find snobbery in all the gov't aided schools like RI, Chinese High,...

Spore is a very class conscious society. The problem started long ago with LKY.

I think that incident happened in the late 70s. RI, MGS, SCGS etc were spared.

We are a very very class conscious society because the MIW made it that way. We should be on par or better than the HKongers. This aspect, I have to agree we are world class.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Careful. Do not to wear a shoe that's too big to fit, the eonomic-social status in elite schools is very very real. A real eye opener for some teens
who just upgraded to a branded secondary school from an "unknown" neighbourhood school.

Although there is no outright discrimination, the poorer kids will face a tough situation where they may preceived to be "benfitting" from their richer peers.

I know, because long time ago I was in the same situation.

I'd just say this once - what you are as a person in terms of your character and how you communicate with people are the important things in life you need to grasp.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that incident happened in the late 70s. RI, MGS, SCGS etc were spared.

We are a very very class conscious society because the MIW made it that way. We should be on par or better than the HKongers. This aspect, I have to agree we are world class.

As I pointed out ACS was a scapegoat, the problem is inherent in many of the schools in Spore.

In the 70's at least there was some concern that some people felt a need to something about this problems. Nowadays no one seems to care.

You even have that mole faced girl showing that the extent of the problem extends to our leadership. She must have gotten her "values" from her parents, her father is/was an MP. Initially he even defended his daughter :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Class is a problem in all societies and it was there even before LKY. The question is whether he made it worse. As long as class does not become caste, and there is scope for social mobility for all, then so be it as not everyone can make it. That's a fact.

I've lived in places like Canada & I didn't feel that class was a problem. People didn't feel a need to drive Merc, were not members of exclusive clubs, etc

The people I saw driving Merc were usually from the chinese community:smile:

This class thing is getting out of hand in Spore. When I was attending a gov't aided school at Canning Rise, my classmates were from humble backgrounds: parents were running indian shops, bus drivers, policeman,...

As a leader of the country LKY is suppose to lead & not ignore the social development of the country. Has any PAP MP or their spouse gotten involved in charity work, volunteer work, community development,...:confused:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've lived in places like Canada & I didn't feel that class was a problem. People didn't feel a need to drive Merc, were not members of exclusive clubs, etc

That's very true. The Canadians don't bother where you stay, what you wear, what you drive. They lead their own lives.

Not only the Chinese drive Merc, they have many 8s on their car number plates. If S'pore society can emulate the West, just 50%, on this subject matter, S'pore would be a far more pleasant place to stay. Given the direction we are heading for, very unlikely to happen. More likely to get worse.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's very true. The Canadians don't bother where you stay, what you wear, what you drive. They lead their own lives.

Not only the Chinese drive Merc, they have many 8s on their car number plates. If S'pore society can emulate the West, just 50%, on this subject matter, S'pore would be a far more pleasant place to stay. Given the direction we are heading for, very unlikely to happen. More likely to get worse.

In the west it's also considered rude to ask someone about their salary. It's actually a culture shock for most Sporeans who like to talk about money, school background, job, material stuff.:smile:

Heard of a Sporean who when he first got to Canada would continue working a 7 day week selling property. He was so happy that Canadians were lazy:smile: After a while he realised there were more important things in life like his family:rolleyes: Takes a Sporean a year or two to adjust :smile:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
IN UK, education in public school is free. even the books are free, provided by the govenrment.
But in UK, you do not require the books. You listen to the teachers and take their notes. Homework is given on a photostat copy, which you must complete by next week, not tomorrow. So time can be better regulated for your activities.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

this is true, the angmos thinks its very crass to flaunt wealth....
i have lived in germany and most of them are against conspicuous consumption....my neighbour bought a top of the line Merc but took pains to removed the badge so as to 'pretend' its the smaller cc entry level model.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A rich tycoon once told me.......

Money is the least of reasons to be snobbish about.....

The super rich are usually quite ok chaps. It is always the wannabes that are irritating. Same in the Civil Service. The higher you go, the less howlian you become - in cases I know.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A rich tycoon once told me.......

Money is the least of reasons to be snobbish about.....

Those who've already made their $$$ know what's its all about & can speak with some experience.

I know a few millionaires & you wouldn't know they are are millionaires from outward appearances. They don't drive flashy cars, wear branded goods,..., they are like you & me :smile: