• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70's, 80's 'Feel Good' Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Holding Out for a Hero" is a song recorded by Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler for the soundtrack to the 1984 film Footloose, and later included on her 1986 album Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire. It was written by Jim Steinman and Dean Pitchford. Initially, the song only just reached the Top 100 in the UK Singles Chart, but made it to number 2 the following year, and re-entered the charts again at number 69 in 1991. The song reached No. 1 on the Irish Singles Chart on 28 September 1985. It reached the top 40 in the United States and Canada.
The song's instrumental break was reused from an earlier song by Jim Steinman called "Stark Raving Love", which featured on Steinman's 1981 album Bad for Good.

Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Stumblin' In" is a song written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn, performed by Chris Norman and Suzi Quatro. Originally released as a standalone single, it was later added to some editions of the Quatro album If You Knew Suzi...
The single peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1979. The song was Quatro's only US Top 40 hit and Norman's lone US charting effort apart from the band Smokie. In the UK Singles Chart, where the song was also Norman's only chart hit as a solo artist, the disc hit the listing on 11 November 1978 and peaked at number 41 with eight weeks in the chart. It was a number-one hit in Canada.[3] It was Norman's first single as a solo artist.

Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman - Stumblin'in

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Le Freak" is a song by American R&B band Chic. It was the band's third single and first Billboard Hot 100 and R&B number-one song. Along with the tracks "I Want Your Love" and "Chic Cheer", "Le Freak" scored number one on the disco charts for seven weeks. The single achieved sales of 7 million and also scored number seven in the UK Singles Chart.
Billboard magazine ranked it as the number 3 song for 1979. The song was ranked number 21 on Billboard magazine's top 100 songs of the first 55 years of the "Hot 100" chart. In 2018, it was selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or artistically significant.
Part of the lyrics mention "Stompin' at the Savoy", referencing a song of the same name composed by Edgar Sampson. They also invite the listener to "Come on down to 54", a reference to Studio 54, which was a popular nightclub in New York City at that time.
This song commemorates Studio 54 for its notoriously long customer waiting lines, exclusive clientele, and discourteous doormen. According to guitarist Nile Rodgers, the song was devised during New Year's Eve of 1977, as a result of his and bassist Bernard Edwards' being refused entrance to Studio 54, where they had been invited by Grace Jones, due to her failure to notify the nightclub's staff. He said the lyrics of the refrain were originally "Fuck off!" rather than "Freak out!"; for the documentary "How to Make It in the Music Business", he said that 'fuck off' was what the doorman had said to him when he slammed the door on them; first it was changed to "freak off" after Rodgers mused that they wouldn't be able to say 'fuck off' on the radio, but that sounded "terrible", so he changed it to 'freak out'.
"Le Freak" was the first song to score the number one position on the Billboard Hot 100 three separate times. MC Lyte sampled the song "Woo Woo (Freak Out)" featuring Brownstone's Nicci Gilbert, which first appeared on the soundtrack to the 1998 movie Woo and also appeared on her album Seven & Seven, titled "Woo Woo (Party Time)" which released three months later. This record remained until 2008, when three different songs, "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis, "Whatever You Like" by T.I., and his follow-up single "Live Your Life", featuring Rihanna all achieved this feat. Bruno Mars also managed this in 2011 with "Grenade", as did The Weekndwith his 2015 single "Can't Feel My Face". On July 14, 2018, Drake surpassed all of these singles when his hit "Nice For What" reached the pole position four separate times.

Chic - Le Freak

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Chase" (also known as "The Chase") is a 1978 instrumental composition song by Italian music producer Giorgio Moroder. It was released as a single during 1978 from his Academy Award-winning soundtrack album Midnight Express (1978), and was a disco instrumental that was subsequently extended and released as a maxi single. It made the Billboard Hot 100 in January 1979, peaking at number 33, and the UK Singles Chart, peaking at number 48.
Created especially for the film Midnight Express, Alan Parker, the director of the film, explicitly asked Moroder for a song in the style of "I Feel Love", which Moroder composed for Donna Summer. It was Moroder's first time composing a movie soundtrack. The song's main melody was played on a Roland SH-2000 synthesizer, while the bass lines were played on a Minimoog synthesizer. The track also has a flanging effect produced by the MXR Flanger, while other instruments used include an ARP/Solina String Ensemble, Fender Rhodes, Hohner Clavinet, and piano.
Although a disco piece, "Chase", along with "I Feel Love", is more specifically considered the pioneering introduction of the hi-NRG genre, which came to prominence in the early 1980s. The music was arranged by Harold Faltermeyer under the leadership of Giorgio Moroder.

Giorgio Moroder - Chase

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Sultans of Swing" is a song by British rock band Dire Straits from their eponymous debut album, which band frontman Mark Knopfler wrote and composed. First released in 1978, its 1979 re-release made it a hit in the United Kingdom and United States
The demo of the song was recorded at Pathway Studios, North London, in July 1977 and quickly acquired a following after it was put on rotation at Radio London. Its popularity soon reached record executives, and Dire Straits were offered a contract with Phonogram Records. The song was then re-recorded in February 1978 at Basing Street Studios for the band's debut album. The record company wanted a less-polished rock sound for the radio, so an alternative version was recorded at Pathway Studios in April 1978 and released as the single in some countries including the United Kingdom and Germany

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Conga" is the first hit single released by the American band Miami Sound Machine led by Gloria Estefan on their second English-language album, and ninth overall, Primitive Love. The song was written by the band's drummer and lead songwriter Enrique Garcia. The single was first released in 1985.
According to Gloria Estefan in an interview in the Netherlands television show RTL Late Night, Conga was written after the band had performed "Dr. Beat" in a club called Cartouche in Utrecht, the Netherlands. The single was released in 1985 (see 1985 in music) and became a worldwide hit, reaching #10 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and winning the Grand Prize at the 15th annual "Tokyo Music Festival" in Japan.
The single was certified Gold by the RIAA in the U.S. for shipments of 500,000 copies.
"Conga" was re-recorded as a new remix in 2001, including samples of "Dr. Beat" and "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" and was released on Estefan's fourth compilation album. This new song was released as a promo single in Spain and titled "Y-Tu-Conga."
"Conga" became a worldwide success and is recognized as the Miami Sound Machine and Gloria Estefan's signature song. The single reached the top ten in various countries, including the United States and the Netherlands. The song was not a hit in the United Kingdom, failing to chart on the Top 75. There the attention was based more on the single "Bad Boy". In Billboard magazine's year-end chart in 1986, "Conga" finished at #40
The video is set in the fictional Miami night club Copacabana, hosting a reception for an unspecified ambassador. After a boring piano recital, the Miami Sound Machine is announced as the next featured act (though Gloria insists the setting is not appropriate for the song.) Despite the initial shock of his wife, the more upbeat song becomes a hit with the audience and ambassador.

Gloria Estefan, Miami Sound Machine - Conga

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Woman in Love" is a song performed by Barbra Streisand and taken from her 1980 album, Guilty. The song was written by Barry and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, who received the 1980 Ivor Novello award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically. It is her fourth of four Platinum records, and is considered her greatest international hit.
After the success enjoyed by the Bee Gees in the late 1970s, the band was asked to participate in musical endeavors for other artists, and Streisand asked Barry Gibb to write an album for her. This album ultimately became Guilty. "Woman in Love", as the lead single, became one of the most successful songs of Streisand's music career. It reached the number-one position on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, Streisand's fifth (and last to date) number one hit on that chart. It replaced Queen's big-selling hit "Another One Bites the Dust", spent three weeks at number one, and was itself replaced by "Lady" by country singer Kenny Rogers. It also spent five weeks atop the adult contemporary chart, her sixth number one on that tally. The song also proved very popular internationally, reaching number one in many countries, including in the UK Singles Chart. The song sold more than 2.5 millions till December 1981, according to Billboard. The lyrics refer to Streisand's eternal devotion to her lover. No matter the obstacles they face, they will always be in love with one another.
Streisand has openly stated that she does not like "Woman in Love" because she doesn't believe in the meaning of the lyrics. She has rarely performed the song live; she did, however, sing it on a couple of dates on her 2013 European tour and the Barbra: The Music, The Mem'ries, The Magic

Barbra Streisand -- Woman In Love

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Hungry Eyes" is a song performed by American artist Eric Carmen, a former member of the band Raspberries, and was featured in the film Dirty Dancing (1987). The song was recorded at Beachwood Studios in Beachwood, Ohio in 1987. "Hungry Eyes" peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #3 on the Cash Box Top 100 in 1988. The power ballad was not released commercially in the UK, but it managed to peak at #82 in January 1988, having charted purely on import sales.
Songwriters Franke Previte and John DeNicola wrote the song, as well as another hit from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, "(I've Had) The Time of My Life".
The music video featured Carmen with model Sally Steele, who later founded Vegas Rocks! Magazine.

Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes
Hungry Eyes
Eric Carmen

I've been meaning to tell you
I've got this feelin' that won't subside
I look at you and I fantasize
You're mine and tonight
Now I've got you in my sights
With these hungry eyes
One look at you and I can't disguise
I've got hungry eyes
I feel the magic between you and I
I want to hold you so hear me out
I want to show you what love's all about
Darling tonight
With these hungry eyes
I've got hungry eyes
With these hungry eyes
With these hungry eyes
Now did I take you by surprise
I need you to see
This love was meant to be
I've got hungry eyes
I've got hungry eyes
I've got hungry eyes
With the hungry eyes
Now did I take you by surprise?
With my hungry eyes
With my hungry eyes
With my hungry eyes

Songwriters: Franke Previte / Franke Jon Previte / John Denicola
Hungry Eyes lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" is a song released by the Bee Gees in 1971. It was written mainly by Barry and Robin Gibb and was the lead and first single on the group's 1971 album Trafalgar. It was their first US No. 1 single and also reached No. 1 in Cashbox magazine for two weeks.
In the US Atco Records issued both mono and stereo versions of the song on each side as a promo single. The B-side was a Maurice Gibb composition "Country Woman".

Bee Gees - How Can You Mend a Broken Heart

I can think of younger days
When living for my life
Was everything a man could want to do
I could never see tomorrow
But I was never told about the sorrow
How can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round?
How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart
And let me live again
I can still feel the breeze
That rustles through the trees
And misty memories of days gone by
We could never see tomorrow
But no one said a word about the sorrow
How can you mend a broken heart?