• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

6 Impatient Ex- WP members who could have been MPs

marjojohn

Alfrescian
Loyal
This I agree. However, CSJ has his groupies who think otherwise.

jUST LOOK AT CSJ ELECTION RECORDS U KNOW HIS WATER LEVEL WITH ELECTORATES!! NEVER EXCEED 30%!!!! EVEN AT HIS PEAK NEVER SEE HIM EVER COME CLOSE!!! PUBLIC CAN JUDGE LAH WHETHER U WORKING FOR THE GOOD OF SOCIETY OR ROCKING THE BOAT OF THE OPPOSITION!!! WE WANT TO BUILD UP AN ALTERNATIVE VOICE BUT HIS BEHAVIOUR IS ON THE CONTRARY!!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My frens and Family in East Coast GRC,,was actually quite pissed of with Eric Tan,,they see him like a Desmond Lim,,not a bright chap,,,some say its cos of Eric Tan that WP did not win East Coast

Eric Tan is a WP stalwart who helped lead the East Coast GRC team to a very respectable 45% showing in GE2011.

I didn't know that Hazel Poa and Tony Tan were former WP members.

But there are basically three things.

When you are in parliament, your job is to represent the people.
When you are in a party CEC, your job is to advance the interests of your party.
When you are an activist, your job is to advance your cause.

All three have overlaps but they are fundamentally different, and they sometimes conflict with each other. The first two are political, but they sometimes also conflict. It's really up to the person to decide which one they regard as the most important.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
My frens and Family in East Coast GRC,,was actually quite pissed of with Eric Tan,,they see him like a Desmond Lim,,not a bright chap,,,some say its cos of Eric Tan that WP did not win East Coast

I don't know anything about Eric Tan, actually. But I have a few suspicions about him.

LTK is a bright chap. Eric Tan, if he were a bright chap, would have found some way to work together with LTK. LTK, being a bright chap, would not easily let a bright chap like Eric Tan slip out of his grasp. It is not possible that Eric Tan could just say, "I'm not happy with you, I'll leave". LTK, if he valued Eric Tan enough, would have done the necessary to make him stay.

And even if LTK and Eric Tan were bright chaps who just could not work together, Eric Tan would have formed a party, or joined another party as a CEC member.

I'm forced to conclude that you're right - Eric Tan is not a bright chap.

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know anything about Eric Tan, actually. But I have a few suspicions about him.

LTK is a bright chap. Eric Tan, if he were a bright chap, would have found some way to work together with LTK. LTK, being a bright chap, would not easily let a bright chap like Eric Tan slip out of his grasp. It is not possible that Eric Tan could just say, "I'm not happy with you, I'll leave". LTK, if he valued Eric Tan enough, would have done the necessary to make him stay.

And even if LTK and Eric Tan were bright chaps who just could not work together, Eric Tan would have formed a party, or joined another party as a CEC member.

I'm forced to conclude that you're right - Eric Tan is not a bright chap.
Hahaha. I like your logic.
LTK might have "conveniently" let him go. Less trouble down the road.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the reason that right from the start, well before Nomination Day, I was a strong advocate of MCF. And unlike yourself I also wanted SDP in the game too. All these parties need to know exactly where they stand relative to each other. If SDP was in, WP would still have won comfortably.
Your relative standing within the Opposition, you can test that in a GE where there are many more seats and we can identify one that has an odd chance that any party except the PAP can get anything from it.

You don't pick a BE which has the greatest chance of a seat being captured, because of the by-election effect, to do "testing". It is like trying to use live rounds in a National Day Parade to see if anyone will get injured.

If SDP were to take part in BE PE, WP would not have capture the seat, assuming that SDP could keep its deposit. If SDP is not expected to keep its deposit, then what is the point of going along with the test? The relative ranking would have been already obvious isn't it?

Last edited:

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
sounds like Eric Tan was more of a liability than bright chap!

with this win, more people would be joining WP. i hope WP does something concrete before the next report card. "we are here to check on the government" can only work for so many GEs

LTK might have "conveniently" let him go. Less trouble down the road.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This I agree. However, CSJ has his groupies who think otherwise.

Eric Tan - Banker (left because he didn't get his NCMP seat), it was like he thought WP can never capture more wards thus NCMP is very precious and once in a life time gift given by voters. He was so wrong

Dr Poh Lee Guan - Too eager to be MP of Hougang and took nomination form behind the WP's back, making headline news. Eventually was sacked by his party.

Chia Ti Lik - Lawyer (left PAP to join WP, left WP to join SDP and left SDP to form his own BS party with no sight no sound)

Goh Meng Seng - Entrepreneur (Left after Silvia Lim gotten the NCMP sea, also reason only he knows better or rather not dissimilar to Eric Tan). Than he became War Lord of NSP, defeated by Mah Bow Tan pants down and quitted politics. However, his lost soul continue to drift and haunt an unsuperstitious WP. I am not sure if WP should carry out spiritual ritual to appease him and let him "rest with peace".

Hazel Poa - Scholar / Entrepreneur / Elite Admin Service (left RP to join NSP - became war lordess after GMS quitted from defeat)
Tony Tan - Scholar / Entrepreneur / Elite Admin Service (husband of Hazel, same as above)
Can't remember if these two were former WP members.

James Gomez - Academic (left WP to join SDP - screwed up twice in two consecutive elections his resignation will not cost a dent to WP)

The above is like rolling stone gather no moss. In politics, perseverance, passion and people-centric and most importantly humble like the Singapore old guards would certainly made this group of people prosper, but they find it too painful to wait and their impulsiveness show.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eric Tan - Banker (left because he didn't get his NCMP seat).

Among all those mentioned I think Eric Tan is the best and most reliable person. He made a significant contribution to WP over a long time, including introducing Chen Show Mao to the party. He also performed brilliantly on a CNA pre-election forum. I have nothing but good things to say about him. For the others, I question their judgment.

It is good that we will likely have multi-cornered fights in many constituencies at the next GE.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Among all those mentioned I think Eric Tan is the best and most reliable person. He made a significant contribution to WP over a long time, including introducing Chen Show Mao to the party. He also performed brilliantly on a CNA pre-election forum. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Unfortunately, his moment of folly was put to test when WP has just began its road expansion. Besides, he quited and not sacked. As brilliant as he was, he made the choice and was respected by the party eventhough he was quick to tell msm he was the one for NCMP role without consulting his party.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Eric Tan is the biggest loser. A moment of madness. Poor chap, 2 BEs in quick succession and he would have been a certain contender.

Eric Tan is an old school politician, and he was used to doing things the old school style. He had his fit of madness because he could not see past the NCMP trap. Totally forgot that the goal is to become an MP, not some watered down PAP-constructed variant. He also felt his failure to be voted by the party CEC was a sign that he would soon become ostracized. That is a powerful emotion, one that proved to be his undoing.

Anyway its all water under the bridge now.

The rest -- CTL, GMS, have become irrelevant and will remain so. It is inborn in them to go into the sunset well before any potential in them has been fully utilized. Can't change that, they are simply like that.

Last edited:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eric Tan - Banker
Chia Ti Lik - Lawyer
Goh Meng Seng - Entrepreneur
Hazel Poa - Scholar / Entrepreneur / Elite Admin Service
Tony Tan - Scholar / Entrepreneur / Elite Admin Service
James Gomez - Academic

They might make claims from difference in ideology, strategy and even party conduct but everyone of them would have been ranked higher than Lim Li Lian.

Excellent observation.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
The aim is to become an MP. The aim is not to be the party sec general. Chen SM who is imminently qualified in paper and in the legal and corporate world understood that. He thus became an MP.

kuku idol is even more unprincipled than all these losers... no different from PAPpY

Chen SM join politics to help people, not to be an mp,
only an kopitiam shit stirrer see power as the end and not a mean

what s the point of being an MP if u only want power

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....this is another classic example...
scroobal started a thread about ex-WP members...
he listed Hazel and Tony as ex-WP members....
from all open sources, Hazel and Tony were not known to be ex-WP members....
PLPs come in and gave him the praises....
all the other members were left scratching their heads whether indeed Hazel and Tony were ex-WP members....
Scroobal simply shitted and do not care to clarify if it was mistake or he has other sources......
and the blur elephant thinks that i am trolling.....lol.

Last edited:

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha.....so are Tony and Hazel ex-WP members????
i think many people really like to know.

I think the stories going around say that they are not ex-WP members. Rather, that they applied to WP, and were told that they were not going to be given special treatment and are not exempted from having to do quite a bit of volunteer work before being considered to be candidates for the GE. So they decided not to join and instead find another party where they can be parachuted immediately into candidacy.