• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

5 reasons why foreigners don't respect Singaporeans

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
5. Singaporeans lacking self confidence and communication skills

I always feel that local Singaporeans lack self confidence when it comes to their communication skills and handling difficult work situation.

Perhaps our innate lack of the spoken language has caused us to step back rather than take on someone when there is a difference in opinion.

I remembered staying in Sydney and saw how articulate Aussies were when they engaged me in deep constructive conversation.

Even though some are merely blue collared workers, they could strike up a decent conversation with you and coomunicated their thoughts well.

People judge us by the way we speak and when I saw how some local Singaporeans spoke on TV interviews, it make me winched.

When foreigners saw how we struggled in our first language – English they thought that this must be a joke!

Some could not even make out what we say and many retreated back to their own circle of expat friends. They also began to look down on us as we can’t even utter a decent mouthful of English.

PRC Chinese also despised our spoken Mandarin langauge as it is not polished enough and reminded them of how the Hong Kongers spoke their style of Mandarin.

- http://www.transitioning.org/2012/03/28/5-reasons-why-foreigners-dont-respect-singaporeans/

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My angmo friends tell me most sinkies speak well enough but they do not have any common topics to talk about.

sinkies are in their own world and only like to talk about the prices or property and cars..........what and where to eat......stock market tips.......sinkies are too shallow for angmos.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Much truth in what you've written. S'poreans are seldom articulate (if you exclude bullshiting). Also, not assertive, usually going along with either the majority or authority. In Canada, children in Junior school are encouraged to speak up, make themselves known, but in Singapore, the kids are shuffed upon with homework, with little interation skills development.

Also, almost the entire populace in Sg has not opposed the idea of Mother Tongue being a foreign language and not what their ancestor's spoke. Easily letting the authorities have an easy go at implementing their policies. I don't remember any resistance at all. The media has a lot to do with this paternalistic society, always hearing the newscasters say "The Government has..... The government proposes....." Never ever saying "Singaporeans this or Singaporeans that.."

The people have no say, no opinion, no mind of their own.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
A typical conversation between a Sinkie girl and a Ang Mo girl.

Ang Mo Girl(AMG): That was a provocating advertisement by PETA

Sinkie Girl(SKG): Huh? Peta?

AMG: Yes, PETA. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
AMG: They had a Taiwanese celebrity stripping for their recent advertisement

SKG: Who Who??? (Eye suddenly lit up)

AMG: What was her name...hmmm...Oh yes, Annie Yee?
AMG: I think its encouraging to see such movement. The fact that animals are hunted for their furs is unethical.

SKG: Huh? Who is Annie Yee?
SKG: Aiya nebermind lah, the fur can use to make clothes, the meat can use to boil soup mah.

AMG: .........

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I always feel that local Singaporeans lack self confidence when it comes to their communication skills and handling difficult work situation.

Perhaps our innate lack of the spoken language has caused us to step back rather than take on someone when there is a difference in opinion.

I remembered staying in Sydney and saw how articulate Aussies were when they engaged me in deep constructive conversation.

Even though some are merely blue collared workers, they could strike up a decent conversation with you and coomunicated their thoughts well.

People judge us by the way we speak and when I saw how some local Singaporeans spoke on TV interviews, it make me winched.

When foreigners saw how we struggled in our first language – English they thought that this must be a joke!

Some could not even make out what we say and many retreated back to their own circle of expat friends. They also began to look down on us as we can’t even utter a decent mouthful of English.

PRC Chinese also despised our spoken Mandarin langauge as it is not polished enough and reminded them of how the Hong Kongers spoke their style of Mandarin.

- http://www.transitioning.org/2012/03/28/5-reasons-why-foreigners-dont-respect-singaporeans/

Two things...upbringing and exposure.

Do you shower together with your child and teach him about your private genitals when they were young....it's taboo for Asians.
Asians emphasis mostly on don't do this....don't do that....and excel in examinations is a priority.
Europeans explain why and how it happened when the kid does the 'don't'.
They load the child with knowledge while the Asians load the child with fear.
Singaporeans not as bad as Thais....all student learned English up to uni level but they never use it among their friends.

Just curious...will the Chinese or Taiwanese disrespect foreigners who hold bad conversation in Mandarin?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A typical conversation between a Sinkie girl and a Ang Mo girl.

Ang Mo Girl(AMG): That was a provocating advertisement by PETA ...
sinkie: peta, ah? ... blanded 1 anot? ... mor famous dan gucci? ...

angmo: ... :*:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Unfortunately, its quite true that we are not able to hold a conversation well. When I was based in Sydney, I often have problems during gatherings and functions. Even my boss also reprimanded me for my lack of social skills.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporea don't have mountains.......cannot hold conversation on
Singapore don't have winter, spring or fall ....cannot talk much without experience
Singapore don't have long rivers or large pond...cannot swim well in conversation
Singapore don't have enough inventions...nothing much to talk about
Singapore don't have country-side.... have to hide during conversation
and the list goes on...
Singapore history is all about PAP.. and that STPB can boast about.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Is this thread set up for me to go on about sinkies and how fuck up they are compare to first world Ang mor. I can go on and on for this. Haha.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My angmo friends tell me most sinkies speak well enough but they do not have any common topics to talk about.

sinkies are in their own world and only like to talk about the prices or property and cars..........what and where to eat......stock market tips.......sinkies are too shallow for angmos.
then ang mo talk about wat? booze, chicks, laid?
i worked with ang mo, they do talk about cars, housing etc.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies lack self-confidence for sure - they like to worship Caucasians

Look at the ads on TV, after so many years of economic development, still worship Causcasians

New property developments in East Coast all feature Caucasians

Tiger Beer also Caucasians

Mediacock presenters sound like fake Caucasians

muderfarker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please lah the foreigners are mostly more stupid than us singaporeans. Why we sell ourselves out? We got nothing to talk to them about becasue they are stupid what

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies lack self-confidence for sure - they like to worship Caucasians

Look at the ads on TV, after so many years of economic development, still worship Causcasians

New property developments in East Coast all feature Caucasians

Tiger Beer also Caucasians

Mediacock presenters sound like fake Caucasians

Be careful. China women love ang mo as well.. for "you know what".

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah i agree why LKY did not improve sinkies english? rather than letting them memories maths, science from young age instead of concentrating on their language from young age? it is failure of pap, that sinkies have very bad english.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah i agree why LKY did not improve sinkies english? rather than letting them memories maths, science from young age instead of concentrating on their language from young age? it is failure of pap, that sinkies have very bad english.

How come your English is so bad?

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

what to do? ang mor has 2000 years of culture to speak of. sinkies only 50+ years.