• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

415,000 infected, 26 deaths!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Caused by Covid-19 H1N1 in 2009/2010.l

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_1759_2011-01-28.html

Singapore confirmed its first case of H1N1 in late May 2009. The patient, a 22-year-old Singapore Management University student, had travelled from New York back to Singapore on 26 May and had developed a cough while on the flight. She passed the airport thermal scanner without incident as she did not have a fever at the time. Later that morning, she consulted a doctor who sent her to Tan Tock Seng Hospital via a 993 ambulance, given her travel history. She was immediately admitted for testing, after which laboratory confirmation of her infection was made by midnight of 26 May. MOH initiated contact tracing of her close contacts, who were quarantined, and provided with antiviral prophylaxis.16

By 24 June, there were 220 human cases of H1N1 in Singapore.17 To ensure that Singaporeans had ready access to medical assessment and prompt treatment for mild cases of H1N1, more than 400 family clinics island-wide were made H1N1-ready.18 Supplies of Personal Protection Equipment and the Tamiflu antiviral drug were made available at these Pandemic Preparedness Clinics.19

On 18 July, a 49-year-old man with heart problems became the first person to die after being infected with the H1N1 virus.20 The victim, who had multiple health problems, died of a heart attack complicated by severe pneumonia and the H1N1 infection. The virus outbreak appeared to peak by August, with attendances at clinics dropping off for the first time in weeks. The 18th and last H1N1 fatality of the year, in September, was a 61-year-old man with a history of diabetes, hypertension and end-stage renal failure.21

Singapore received its first batch of the H1N1 vaccine in end-October 2009. Further checks and clearance were completed in less than a week, and mass vaccinations began on 3 November 2009. Then Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan assured that the supply of the H1N1 vaccine "should be enough". By the end of 2009, one million does were available.22

On 12 February 2010, the Health Ministry changed its alert level to green.23 By this time, it was estimated that 415,000 people in Singapore had been infected with the H1N1 virus and more than 420,000 local residents had received the H1N1 vaccine injection.24 Most infected persons in Singapore experienced mild illness, while there were more than 1,600 hospital admissions from complications related to the virus, including about 100 admissions to intensive care.25 Two weeks after the alert status turned Green, a 5-year old boy with no underlying medical conditions died from the virus infection at the KK Women's and Children's Hospital.26

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Life went on as normal in 2009. There were only 19 deaths.

On a sidenote, I'm very sure the nasty cough and moderate fever I developed in November last year was some form of coronovirus.

It was almost certainly not the WuFlu but it may well have been some HxNy variant

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Last edited:

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Really ?

That seems serious and but strangely i have absolutely no memory of it even when i hear my family talks about it sometimes i felt i might have died and I Am a walkin soul or it has to do with some weird alternate reality or parallel universe existence thingy.

And... i thought people here in this forum are strange.... weird huh ?

Welcome to the club lol..........

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Really ?

That seems serious and but strangely i have absolutely no memory of it even when i hear my family talks about it sometimes i felt i might have died and I Am a walkin soul or it has to do with some weird alternate reality or parallel universe existence thingy.

And... i thought people here in this forum are strange.... weird huh ?

Welcome to the club lol..........

That's because nobody bothered to keep score of the number infected which is pointless exercise.

75% of the population have Herpes but we don't publish the number daily. Why are we doing it with Covid-19?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Caused by Covid-19 H1N1 in 2009/2010.l

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_1759_2011-01-28.html

Singapore confirmed its first case of H1N1 in late May 2009. The patient, a 22-year-old Singapore Management University student, had travelled from New York back to Singapore on 26 May and had developed a cough while on the flight. She passed the airport thermal scanner without incident as she did not have a fever at the time. Later that morning, she consulted a doctor who sent her to Tan Tock Seng Hospital via a 993 ambulance, given her travel history. She was immediately admitted for testing, after which laboratory confirmation of her infection was made by midnight of 26 May. MOH initiated contact tracing of her close contacts, who were quarantined, and provided with antiviral prophylaxis.16

By 24 June, there were 220 human cases of H1N1 in Singapore.17 To ensure that Singaporeans had ready access to medical assessment and prompt treatment for mild cases of H1N1, more than 400 family clinics island-wide were made H1N1-ready.18 Supplies of Personal Protection Equipment and the Tamiflu antiviral drug were made available at these Pandemic Preparedness Clinics.19

On 18 July, a 49-year-old man with heart problems became the first person to die after being infected with the H1N1 virus.20 The victim, who had multiple health problems, died of a heart attack complicated by severe pneumonia and the H1N1 infection. The virus outbreak appeared to peak by August, with attendances at clinics dropping off for the first time in weeks. The 18th and last H1N1 fatality of the year, in September, was a 61-year-old man with a history of diabetes, hypertension and end-stage renal failure.21

Singapore received its first batch of the H1N1 vaccine in end-October 2009. Further checks and clearance were completed in less than a week, and mass vaccinations began on 3 November 2009. Then Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan assured that the supply of the H1N1 vaccine "should be enough". By the end of 2009, one million does were available.22

On 12 February 2010, the Health Ministry changed its alert level to green.23 By this time, it was estimated that 415,000 people in Singapore had been infected with the H1N1 virus and more than 420,000 local residents had received the H1N1 vaccine injection.24 Most infected persons in Singapore experienced mild illness, while there were more than 1,600 hospital admissions from complications related to the virus, including about 100 admissions to intensive care.25 Two weeks after the alert status turned Green, a 5-year old boy with no underlying medical conditions died from the virus infection at the KK Women's and Children's Hospital.26
KNN boss my uncle was already in sbf before 2009 why there wasn't much thread on h1n1 ? KNN also he didn't even went for the vaccine and not aware there was a outbreak at all KNN

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
KNN boss my uncle was already in sbf before 2009 why there wasn't much thread on h1n1 ? KNN also he didn't even went for the vaccine and not aware there was a outbreak at all KNN

Plenty of threads on H1N1 swine flu since April 2009.

A07E1677-D07D-4D86-A1FA-2D80E75A4932.png
77F42008-093C-42D3-AEC5-3407C4B6B59C.png

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how can there be over 400K infections in S'pore ??!!

once reach 40K, most Sinkies would have either died of cowardice or fled the island liao mah........

Gigo88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, never remember that there is a H1N1 epidemic in Singapore in 2009.

Must have been too busy with work. My company was shutting down ops in Singapore in 2009, and shift to China within 6 mths. End up, it took more than 2 years before the Singapore plant is shutdown permanently.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Singapore Government Agency Website
MCI - Gov.SG

When was the last time Singapore activated DORSCON Orange, and why?
DORSCON Orange was activated during the H1N1 pandemic in 2009, although there were then no confirmed cases in Singapore
4 min read Published on 04 Mar 2020
Share :
ListenListen with webReaderFocus
Singapore had previously raised the alert level from DORSCON Yellow to Orange at the peak of the Influenza A (H1N1-2009) pandemic on 30 April 2009. At that juncture, there were no confirmed cases in Singapore.
When was DORSCON Orange activated in Singapore?
On 30 Apr 2009, the World Health Organisation (WHO) raised the pandemic alert for H1N1 influenza from Phase 4 to Phase 5. This indicated a human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one region.
Although there were no human cases in Singapore at that point in time, MOH stepped up the DORSCON status from Yellow to Orange.
Additional measures to mitigate the spread of H1N1 in Singapore were introduced, including:
  • Enhanced infection control measures at healthcare institutions, such as ensuring healthcare workers wear full personal protective equipment, isolation of confirmed and suspect cases, as well as contact tracing
  • Issuance of Quarantine Orders to close contacts of suspect and confirmed cases, as well as incoming travels from Mexico
  • Routine temperature checks in schools, workplaces and places of mass gathering. At healthcare institutions and land checkpoints, temperature screening and screening for flu-like symptoms were also conducted.
How long did Singapore remain at DORSCON Orange?
On 11 May 2009, eleven days after DORSCON Orange was activated, Singapore scaled down the DORSCON level to Yellow. This was because the virus appeared milder than originally feared, and there was no evidence of community transmission in Singapore.
However, as H1N1 was highly contagious and likely to become endemic, Singapore remained vigilant and ready to scale up measures, when necessary.
The first case of H1N1 was confirmed on 27 May. Although WHO subsequently declared H1N1 a global pandemic, Singapore did not raise the DORSCON level to Orange.
How many people in Singapore were infected with H1N1?
An estimated 415,000 people were infected with the H1N1 influenza in Singapore. Although most cases of H1N1 infection were mild, there were at least 18 fatalities reported in 2009.
What are the symptoms of H1N1?
Those infected with H1N1 had similar symptoms to those of seasonal influenza. These included fever, sore throat, cough, and runny nose.
In healthy individuals, the best ways to stay healthy and protected against influenza is to keep a high standard of personal hygiene and to avoid crowded places with poor ventilation.
Similarly, members of the public are advised to practice good personal hygiene habits and be socially responsible in the fight against COVID-19.
TOPICS
HEALTH COVID-19
Share :
PART OF A SPECIAL FEATURE
COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019)
safedistancingpple_fea.jpg

EXPLORE
RELATED ARTICLES

Call these helplines if you need emotional or psychological support

COVID-19: Updates and announcements

COVID-19: Cases in Singapore

What stores remain open, and what stores have to close during the circuit breaker period?

Circuit Breaker extension and tighter measures: What you need to know

Is this page useful?
Yes No
Is there anything wrong with this page?
Most Popular
Circuit Breaker extension and tighter measures: What you need to knowWhat stores remain open, and what stores have to close during the circuit breaker period?The science behind why masks help prevent COVID-19 spreadTackling transmissions in migrant worker clustersVisits to popular markets to be restricted based on the last digit of your IC number

This site is best viewed using IE9.039 & above and Chrome.
© 2020 Government of Singapore Last updated on 04 Mar 2020

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN the leeporting for h1n1 very obscured KNN orange to yellow within 11 days with no transmission and suddenly 415k ?

On 11 May 2009, eleven days after DORSCON Orange was activated, Singapore scaled down the DORSCON level to Yellow. This was because the virus appeared milder than originally feared, and there was no evidence of community transmission in Singapore

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I remembered folks were still trying to recover from the 2008 Lehman Brothers crisis, maybe that’s why folks paid less attention to the swine flu.