• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

31,700 x 5 = 158,500 every 5 years

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indranee Rajah: About 31,700 given Singapore PR status each year over the past 5 years

Indranee Rajah sitting on a chair

© The Independent Singapore

Singapore — About 31,700 people were given Singapore Permanent Resident status each year over the past five years, according to Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Indranee Rajah in Parliament on Wednesday (Oct 14).

Ms Rajah, who oversees the National Population and Talent Division, added that their number has remained stable. Her comments came in response to questions from People’s Action Party (PAP) Members of Parliament Liang Eng Hwa (Bukit Panjang) and Poh Li San (Sembawang GRC).

According to a report in straitstimes.com, she said there have been 22,100 new citizens every year on average over the same period, including about 1,600 children born overseas yearly to Singaporean parents.

The minister pointed out that the country’s resident total fertility rate (TFR) remains below the replacement rate of 2.1 — the level at which a population replaces itself. Since 2018, its TFR has been a constant at 1.14.

Ms Rajah reiterated that the country does not have a population target or seek to achieve any particular population size. This had been the subject of much discussion during the General Election this year. She confirmed that the Government’s outlook from 2018 that the total population size is likely to be significantly below 6.9 million by 2030 “remains valid today”.

As for citizenship and PR status, she said these are offered selectively to applicants who are committed to making Singapore their home and who can integrate and contribute to the country.

“New citizens either share family ties with Singaporeans or have studied, worked or lived here for some time. They are drawn from the pool of qualified PRs who eventually make a serious commitment to take on citizenship,” she added. /TISG

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Of all people you say such things? Not all the 61% agree with every policy that the PAP comes up with but in the end the big picture counts. I thought you had a better understanding than that. Its a shame.
I totally agree with you!:thumbsup: May I politely request that you educate me (and us) what the "big picture" is? Thanks.

parrardee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree with you!:thumbsup: May I politely request that you educate me (and us) what the "big picture" is? Thanks.

I politely decline . Just take an open and honest look at some of our neighbours viz Indonesia, Philippines et al and you should get an idea.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I politely decline . Just take an open and honest look at some of our neighbours viz Indonesia, Philippines et al and you should get an idea.
Honestly, I believe our social and political climate can be tweaked to be better, to be more inclusive and tolerant of criticisms yet not have us degenerate into chaos.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats nothing. See what Australia is doing.

1. COVID-19
  2. Arts + Culture
  3. Business + Economy
  4. Cities
  5. Education
  6. Environment + Energy
  7. Health + Medicine
  8. Politics + Society
  9. Science + Technology

Shutterstock
We need to restart immigration quickly to drive economic growth. Here’s one way to do it safely
October 15, 2020 11.41am AEDT
Authors
  1. Anna Boucher
    Associate Professor in Public Policy and Political Science, University of Sydney
  2. Robert Breunig
    Professor of Economics and Director, Tax and Transfer Policy Institute, Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University
Disclosure statement
The authors do not work for, consult, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and have disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their academic appointment.
Partners
University of  Sydney
University of Sydney
provides funding as a member of The Conversation AU.
View all partners
CC BY ND

We believe in the free flow of information

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under Creative Commons licence.

Republish this article
Faced with a difficult economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, Australia needs to act quickly with creative solutions to reestablish immigration into the country, even before a potential vaccine is found.
Over the past two decades, population growth has been an important driver of Australia’s economic growth. Immigration is the largest component of this, comprising about 64% of our population growth in 2016-17 (with the rest coming from natural increase).
This year, immigration is down because of COVID-19, but also because of reductions in permanent migration numbers set by the government for 2019-20. Immigration levels will be low well into 2021, with net overseas migration expected to be -72,000 (from previous highs near 300,000).
This is the first time since the second world war it has fallen to negative levels.
According to last week’s budget, Australia’s overall population growth is expected to be just 0.2% in 2020-21 and 0.4% in 2021-22, the slowest growth in over a century.
file-20201014-13-1lcf96p.jpg
The university sector faces up to A$19 billion in losses over the next three years due to lost international student revenue. ShutterstockWhy immigration is so vital to the economy
The border closure is devastating for people trying to come to Australia, whether they are migrants wishing to start a new life, refugees or in some cases, even partners of those already living in the country.
However, aside from these important human stories, the immigration downturn will also have considerable economic effects.
Read more: How universities came to rely on international students
First, as mentioned before, immigration growth drives economic growth. And a return to over 3% economic growth without immigration seems unlikely. When we take into consideration lower fertility rates during the pandemic, such growth is even less likely.
Lower immigration has a real effect on GDP. In the June quarter of 2020, GDP contracted by 7%, which is the largest fall on record. At least some of this is due to plummeting immigration.
Second, the continued border closure affects our key exports, in particular international student arrivals. Total exports are predicted to fall 9% in the next year, while net exports are expected to shave 1 percentage point from GDP growth in 2021-22. International student migration and tourism make up a large part of these exports.
file-20201014-21-1w1dy86.jpg
For some Australian universities, international students make up around 30-40% of total revenue. Shutterstock
Third, lower immigration rates affect levels of consumption. With one million fewer people entering Australia this year, there will be less demand for services and housing. This is leading to urgent calls for a return to immigration from within the construction sector.
Fourth, lower immigration rates may cause critical problems for the labour market in certain industries. Much of the horticulture and agriculture sector, for instance, was previously supported by working holiday makers. Farmers are now desperate for assistance, with a projected labour shortfall for summer harvests estimated to be 26,000 workers.
Attempts to mobilise Australian workers into these jobs have been largely unsuccessful, in part due to the low wages, but also the regional nature of the work that would demand seasonal relocation.
file-20201014-21-1x7mhxx.jpg
The demand for seasonal workers to harvest produce will peak in March. Lukas Coch/AAP
Fifth, fewer immigrants results in fewer people of working age contributing to the tax base. Many immigrants are generally under 45 and are here to work — either in skilled jobs or on working holiday visas. Losing large numbers of them means fewer people of working age in the population.
Of course, this assumes these people would be working during COVID-19. Research suggests temporary migrants are experiencing high rates of unemployment and homelessness during the pandemic, meaning they may not be working and contributing taxes as they normally would.
Still, given they are not receiving welfare assistance or Medicare, they are placing less strain on public systems than Australian citizens and permanent residents.
And unemployment is not a long-term problem. As the economy recovers, the hospitality sector is expected to bounce back quickly, with many temporary migrants able to return to work.

parrardee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, I believe our social and political climate can be tweaked to be better, to be more inclusive and tolerant of criticisms yet not have us degenerate into chaos.

Yes could be better for sure , I can concede that. But to F _ _ _ the 61% for everything?????

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Yes could be better for sure , I can concede that. But to F _ _ _ the 61% for everything?????
If not, then fuck who????? In any problem solving situation or in any undertaking to effect changes for the better, we need to get to the source, the genesis. In this case, it's the voters. Specifically, voters like you.

@laksaboy What's that nugget of wisdom you're fond of saying? The source of the problem cannot be the solution?

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
And slowly all these nrw citizens will start to tulan PAPigs n well one dsy will full blown,thsts why LKY predict it will happen when no more PAPigs