• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2010 Academic Ranking Of World Universities ...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
No lah

If you look at this ranking, it is highly inaccurate.

How can Uni of Sydney be better than University of Virginia?

UV is one of the best public schools in US

I think Hokies are better than the Cavaliers.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those are pretty strong claims you are making. You need to provide some concrete evidence to substantiate your claims in order not to make urself look like an idiot

Go and see the figures yourself how many people the 3 local U take in yearly and how many A level candidates there are. They place more people in their undergraduate programs per year than there are JC students per batch! The smart and the rich go overseas. So one wonders where else can these local Us find victims to fill up the places? The rest come from the polys.

If you dare, go and interview the top students in Raffles and HCI. You are def not in the circle at all.

Almost every local law and med enrolled student are rejects of at least one scholarship overseas, if not ALL the scholarships they applied. Majority did not even get a single offer. Some got the less coveted (read: undesirable eg IDA, PUB, IRAS scholarship, SGS, SAF-Merit/ATA (not SAFOS hor), SPH, insert name of any 3rd tier scholarship) and were rejected by their top few choices (usually PSC's top 3, GIC), not even granted a first interview or rejected at first interview before the A level results are out.

The 2nd group is the same group of losers who go around crapping to unsuspecting peasant reporters in the Singapore Dog House that they "turned down a prestigious opportunity to study in a fabulous overseas university" to be in farmer law/med which the peasant reporter subsequently turns into a propaganda story of hilarity to promote the farmer schools that scramble in desperation, putting out tens of thousands of $$$ of adverts with the doghouse press promoting themselves.

It can fool the peasant reporters (quite effectively actually), who are of farmer background too as well as the ignorant among general public who don't know what's going on. It doesn't fool the people who are actually in the know and in the system currently or past.

Did you even know that PSC conducts its first elimination way before the A level results are even out? PSC takes the first crop of the top prelim students and uses the 1st of many interviews to get rid of 99% of them, since it has luxury of choice and a strong emphasis on interview performance, psychometrics and CCAs.

Countless of them who already know they were rejected and cannot apply to PSC and GIC are the ones applying to the rest and doing their internships feverishly in the first half of the year. Even then most of them fail to get the lesser scholarships and end up in law/med. The minority who do get them either take up these lesser scholarships or decide to stay local cos these scholarships are not 1st tier.

There is a small but growing trend of very top calibre people turning down OMS after offered, but all of these cases do so because they at the same time secured a full scholarship from a need-blind top American university such as Yale, Harvard, Amherst, MIT.

Others turn down OMS or stat board overseas to take up the PPMM scholarship- very common in the top JCs now. Growing affluence means that presently, there are so many more times of parents who can comfortably send their prince and princess to America, UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada compared to 10 years ago. And 10 years ago, many more could afford to than 20 years ago. They do not turn down OMS or overseas to end up farmer.

Those in this circle born into wealth and never considered scholarships of any kind also go overseas as a matter of course. Go and ask where do the ministers send their children, the Kwees, Banyan Tree Ho brothers went and Yong Pang How's grandkids went. Its been the case since dunno how long ago, probably from way back when u were actually young.

More than 3/4 of the top classes in RI IP and HCI go overseas undergrad. And I mean real overseas. Not some crappy dumb exchange programme passing off as overseas exposure.

Last edited:

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're out of touch. Law and Med, you may not get in even with 4 H2 "As", and 1 H3 distinction. Most faculties in the three universities will reject 3 Cs (although some will interview those with one A and 2 Ds).

It appears this way because in the last 10 years compared to our elder brothers' and uncles' time, grades have been generally inflated. The no. of As have increased, the no. of S papers in your time or what is called H3 in the present time, have increased and overall grades have gone up, even among the losers.

What has not and will never change in any setup, whether national exams, international exams like SAT or GMAT, or any appraisal in an organisation, is the fucking bell curve.

The bell curve will always be there and it will always act as a sieve to separate the haves and the haves not and determine the bottom and top percentiles.

I am familiar with the last 2-3 batches of RI IP and HCI students like the back of my hand, as well as what it was like 10 years ago.

More than 8 in 10 of the students in the farmer law and medicine courses either failed to get a place in renowned universities' courses of the same selectivity, applied and were rejected by ALL scholarships, or the scholarship of desired choice. The farmer unis are nothing more than a dumping ground for scholarship rejects. Why do you think the schools are desperately putting out paid advertisements in the local dog media so SPECIFICALLY and INSECURELY claiming one student allegedly "turned down" opportunities in "prestigious universities" to be in its med school? Turned down a liberal arts or science place for farmer med maybe. Not a single one of them can make it to Cambridge med. Anyone in the know won't have the balls to argue that. :biggrin:

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knew of one given full scholarship by Cambridge itself rejecting the offer because he was accepted by local med. By the way, the selection of students for med is not purely by academic results (although 5As is the norm).

What a big fat lie haha.

Scholarship from Cambridge? Hahahaha. Only a small handful of American universities have financial aid aka partial or full scholarship from the university which is known as need-blind. If you can get a place in say, Yale, or MIT, they are need blind and money won't be the reason you don't get to study there no matter your nationality. British universities DO NOT. Its never been in the British system for undergrad studies, save for the Rhodes which is administered by Oxford only and generally given to those who are already pursuing or have graduated from another undergraduate course.

This is a list of any kind of awards, grants, bursaries tenable for Cambridge. And there is none for 1) undergrad studies or 2) non British or Irish students. The only one open to non Brit and Irish is the C. T. Taylor Fund which is only for partially supporting research program for Master's. Pls read.
https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2010-11/special/06/section2.shtml#heading2-20 Most of the awards and grants for Cambridge are only partial funding for research programs, and not for tuition fees, and certainly NEVER for undergraduate studies, let alone full. These grants and awards are not funded or conferred by Cambridge, but are privately sponsored grants that go to Cambridge because of its solid reputation.

Only a few select American universities disburse full financial aid for undergraduate studies. Did you know that PhD is done free in most universities too? So the word PhD scholarship is a illogical term. So many things u learn in one day right?

If you really heard this fat loser lie from the NUS clown-farmer, tell him many people in RI can call his bluff and to start an account here and post. We will talk then and I will teach him what is called 'shame'. I've never read a bigger lie so he ought to develop some shame. Your liar said "FULL scholarship" from Cambridge ITSELF some more. Whoa so precise. Its very hard to wiggle out of a specific lie. :biggrin:

"Selection not purely by academic results" used here looks stupid. Med isn't the only farmer course that has an interview for gawd's sake. Even the loser communication studies in NTU has entry interview.

Using the no. of applicants and the final number of people chosen is also pointless, because everyone applies to a huge number of things. Nobody applies to one thing and thats it. That's just stupid. Thats why medicine has so many applicants (It also takes in far far more people than PSC sends overseas undergrad :smile: ). You apply to a host and see what you can get. Then you pick what you deem to be the best deal out of what wants you and reject the rest. Unfortunately majority of those in local law and med are rejects or never qualified. When you look at the other pool, the same can't be said (the people in the 2nd pool got all the choices and rejected the rest to be there).

Its very easy to see where which is in the scheme of things. How many of the respective rejects do you find making up each pool is the only answer to your question. If you can deny, you're either deluded, or just ignorant ie not in the system. I suspect its just the latter

Last edited:

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't waste your time. Some of us had past interaction with this chap and after much discussion we realised that he is not grad but has responsibility with handling grads for the SAF in a HR role. He could spew many things but can't tie the ends to his arguments.

Ever talk to hotel service industry staff such as concierge etc. They deal with VIPs and celebrities. They eventually live in a world of VIPs and celebrities and know many factual things but they themselves are not and they live on good tips to maintain their lifestyle.

A butler at Tanglin Club used to drive a BMW and lives in a condo and his 2 sons behave as though they come from well to do families but its their mum that regularly get handouts from her sister to keep up appearances. This butler can hold a conversation with the best because of the people he has to deal with in his day job.

The same with this chap. He is right about most things when it comes to foreign universities that SAF scholars are sent to. He is also right about B-schools because they are sent there and he also understands the reasoning because he does handle the process and sees the position papers.

You can see that he is highly emotional and uses the farmer tag regularly indicating a complex. I don't think he is with PSC as he only knows SAF staff but knows zilch about the Alpha society.

Many years ago, there used to be a library belonging to the American embassy operating from a building at Raffles Place / Collyer Quay vicinity. There is a malay chap who dresses well and speaks very good english with a clear american accent. He is actually is the library assistant but knows his stuff well such as entry requirements, tests and the relevant books. He has done it for years that he is an expert. Robert Mugabe of this forum reminds me of this chap. By the way, the chap with the american accent only went to the US for holidays.

Illiterate sinkies like you amuse me. Just reading your post and seeing you use the words "foreign university", its a resounding reinforcement of what a bumpkin you are and the kind of background you have.

It's overseas, not foreign. The word 'foreign', is used in the context of a minority invasion, and not outgoing to another territory. Nobody of any credence, in the last 100 years in SG, says "foreign university" when we go overseas. People like u, who's stuck here all your life, and have your sad little life so nicely described by one of the posters' footnote here, incite pity in us.

Why your distaste for the term so nicely cut out for you, the farmer? So highly used by farmers and local grads on themselves, it should sit well on you like a tee..the scholars don't even use the word I notice haha.

I think its hilarious that you have the naivete to believe that you'll know better the world of enrolment into higher education overseas and prestigious scholarships than people who are currently living the system.

....when its clear to even newcomers that you're an aged and ousted has-been whose former status in the civil service was 100% the label used, and whose observations are from eras before with no accuracy nor relavance now.

Why such a denial? who doesn't know about the farmer?:biggrin:

Unlike the malay chap, i don't think u have even gone to the US for a holiday, like so many countless NUS grads losers I know who haven't stepped onto US soil by their 40s. One 48 yr old lawyer I know hasn't even been to parts of Europe like Amsterdam and Brussels that overseas papamama privileged and overseas bonded scholars been to over 5 times before they're 23. U remind me of them NUS losers. And they aren't any better than the malay guy you spoke of actually. Hahaha.

Last edited:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Illiterate sinkies like you amuse me. Just reading your post and seeing you use the words "foreign university", its a resounding reinforcement of what a bumpkin you are and the kind of background you have.

It's overseas, not foreign. The word 'foreign', is used in the context of a minority invasion, and not outgoing to another territory. Nobody of any credence, in the last 100 years in SG, says "foreign university" when we go overseas. People like u, who's stuck here all your life, and have your sad little life so nicely described by one of the posters' footnote here, incite pity in us.

Why your distaste for the term so nicely cut out for you, the farmer? So highly used by farmers and local grads on themselves, it should sit well on you like a tee..the scholars don't even use the word I notice haha.

I think its hilarious that you have the naivete to believe that you'll know better the world of enrolment into higher education overseas and prestigious scholarships than people who are currently living the system.

....when its clear to even newcomers that you're an aged and ousted has-been whose former status in the civil service was 100% the label used, and whose observations are from eras before with no accuracy nor relavance now.

Unlike the malay chap, i don't think u have even gone to the US for a holiday, like so many countless NUS grads losers I know who haven't stepped onto US soil by their 40s. One lawyer I know hasn't even been to parts of Europe like Amsterdam and Brussels that overseas papamama privileged and overseas bonded scholars been to over 5 times before they're 23. U remind me of them NUS losers. And they aren't any better than the malay guy you spoke of actually. Hahaha.

Well Said

Rep

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You managed to write something in a cogent and succint manner that is clear as day. Really envy you. For your information I have gone overseas. I have been to Tekong and Ubin.

Unlike the malay chap, i don't think u have even gone to the US for a holiday, like so many countless NUS grads losers I know who haven't stepped onto US soil by their 40s. One 48 yr old lawyer I know hasn't even been to parts of Europe like Amsterdam and Brussels that overseas papamama privileged and overseas bonded scholars been to over 5 times before they're 23. U remind me of them NUS losers. And they aren't any better than the malay guy you spoke of actually. Hahaha.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

It has always been "foreign" whether you cross international border to a foreign country or a foreigner cross international border to your locality. "Overseas" was a word coined during the Dutch, Portugese, Spanish and British seafaring and colonial days. A Russian going to a German university needs not go "overseas," he goes "overlands," and it's still foreign.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs isn't called the Ministry of Overseas Affairs anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
4619843809_0647c45197.jpg

Ugly and useless kids that make the future?