• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$20.50 for Ngoh Hiang at Lavender Food Centre

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yong tau fu also the same. make sure you count the pieces yourself...otherwise the price will shock you!!!

You are right on this, I usually ask the seller to tell me the prices before they start cooking the food, same goes with the Indian Rojak. Recently I ate at Block 116, Toa Payoh Lor 1/2 junction, from Braddell MRT Station, "yong tau foo" stall, have not been here for years, used to eat regular, way back then. This time I forgot to ask the prices & took for granted, I think I picked around 10 pieces with cuttle fish, soup, no bee hoon , the price came to $8.60. I was looking at the price list later...each piece 50cts, some slighly more, bee hoon etc extra 30cts..Say at $8 it would be 16 pieces right, but I do not think it was that many pieces.

Anyway, the actual people selling the "yong tau foo" open another stall somewhere in Toa Payoh, the current seller is the sister & her family...quality have dropped slighly but on the whole , OK!, prices..NO!.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be careful when you patronise " famous and popular " stalls expected good quality food. Many of these stalls have new owners and I was caught many times . Standard drops and prices shoot up. The new owners are also not so friendly . So I will stay away and there goes my favourite stall...sad.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
taling about prawn noodle , the one at cambridge hawker centre, the aunty damned howlian!!!

i stopped patronising the stall liao...damned howlian...and the price shot up sky high now!!!

Have not been there for a log time too, he "Hay Mee Tng" still the same quality & quantity?...I eat all around SINgapore... ha ha ha..

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Have not been there for a log time too, he "Hay Mee Tng" still the same quality & quantity?...I eat all around SINgapore... ha ha ha..

standard still there but the howlianism sky high....the crawford stall uncle is still friendly and the standard still maintains, but the price gone up > minimum $5....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Be careful when you patronise " famous and popular " stalls expected good quality food. Many of these stalls have new owners and I was caught many times . Standard drops and prices shoot up. The new owners are also not so friendly . So I will stay away and there goes my favourite stall...sad.

The ones with frame photos of whoever, framed copies of foodie write ups, I AVOID The sad part is, those familiar used to be good value for money & taste have changed, especially if they have been past down from father to children or to their relatives..so nowadays have to be very cautious.

A few example :

1. The "hay Mee tng" Hokkien Noodle soup at Hock Lam Hawker Centre, I think they originated the usage chilli powder, same place, the curry mee stall & the char kway teow..not so good anymore.

2. The "chwee Jia Pow" from Tiong Bahru Market, now Alexander Village, the dad passed away years ago...the son or whomever is selling this now..quality & standard down the drain, not to mention , Prices up to the sky.

3. Toh Kee Duck Rice, People's Park Centre, not so fond of them from years back, but still eat there, once in a while, the older generation is slowly being replaced by the younger ones...quality have gone down prices have shot up...the last time I ate there, it was $4 or $5 for a plate of duck meat with rice.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The ones with frame photos of whoever, framed copies of foodie write ups, I AVOID The sad part is, those familiar used to be good value for money & taste have changed, especially if they have been past down from father to children or to their relatives..so nowadays have to be very cautious.

A few example :

1. The "hay Mee tng" Hokkien Noodle soup at Hock Lam Hawker Centre, I think they originated the usage chilli powder, same place, the curry mee stall & the char kway teow..not so good anymore.

2. The "chwee Jia Pow" from Tiong Bahru Market, now Alexander Village, the dad passed away years ago...the son or whomever is selling this now..quality & standard down the drain, not to mention , Prices up to the sky.

3. Toh Kee Duck Rice, People's Park Centre, not so fond of them from years back, but still eat there, once in a while, the older generation is slowly being replaced by the younger ones...quality have gone down prices have shot up...the last time I ate there, it was $4 or $5 for a plate of duck meat with rice.

Agree.

Nowadays, itu Toh Kee's roast duck tak juice lagi.:o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think many have experienced this.

There's this mee siam stall without hum. The standard has fallen since the owner has passed it on to his son.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the toh kee duck rice at peoples' park rally toh liao...the standard really terok.
the service howlian...the price again shot up!!!

i prefer the stall nearer the pau stall...better in fact, but of course,not cheaper as well!!!

the tiong bahru chwee jia pau also the same...standard drops since they moved from the old tiong bahru hawker centre....i heard the two brothers quarrelled and split....now both suffer no business.....another great loss to food fans like me....sad hor

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Always eat Ngoh Hiang from a popular stall. God knows how long those food have been laying around.
Cooking oil plays an important part too. God knows how often those boh business ones change the cooking oil.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why no one say yet....who did he vote for?

My ex boss used to tell me....if you cannot afford something then it's your fault for not able to make more money.

Or blame pap for screwing up your opportunities to earn more money and rising cost of living.

Find expensive then boycott dun eat....
If feel the hawker is making a lot then open your own stall and rake it in....
Can't cook or dun want to be a hawker but still want revenge then set fire or put rat poison to sabo the hawker.
Can't do any of the above then sit one corner to suck thumb.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ngoh hiang, yong tau foo and Indian rojak are food you are more likely to kena tok. Either they inflate the price or 'steal' your selection and yet charge what you picked. Safest is to ask the price for your selection, stand there and watch them prepare then pay up.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the lavender famous eminent hawker centre wantoo mee damned long queue and price kept going up and up and the mee less and less...but don't know why, must always go and queue and kana kotok!!!

the mee is very simple but the taste is good lah!!! $4...now nothing much...few pieces of charsiew niah....but addicted to eat leh

believe got some kongtau there???

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
1503.jpg

A reader's search for some cheap hawker fare last Friday turned out to be a shock after he was charged $20.50 for a plate of Ngoh Hiang dishes.

The contributor to Stomp, who goes by the nickname Hawker Fan, said that he had ordered seven items from a Ngor Hiong stall at Lavendar Food Centre.

Two items alone, sotong and pink sausage, cost $6 and $4 respectively, making up half the total cost of the bill.

In comparison, another popular sotong dish served barbeque-style and with sambal chilli at another stall at the food centre only costs $4.50 a plate, according to the contributor.

"We were shocked by the steep price and everyone was puzzled as to how each item could possibly cost $3 on average," said Hawker Fan in an email to the citizen journalism website.

He said that he does not have the habit of checking the price of each food item, but this incident has caused him to think twice. "We usually eat without checking each and every food item prices, but I guess now we will after this incident."

"We are not asking patrons to boycott this stall, but we are hoping to bring awareness to all food fanatics in Singapore to enjoy local delights without getting into such situations," he added.

Hawker Fan also advised foodies to avoid getting sotong and pink sausage when picking out their dishes as they were over-priced.

Ngoh Hiang is Hokkien or Teochew dish made up of a composition of various meat and vegetables, with a fried roll stuffed with minced pork or prawn seasoned with five-spice power being the main highlight.

[email protected]

Must thank PAP for the inflation, they are the one who increase first,
Property Tax increased, Medishield Insurance increased! than all other
insurance company follow suit.

COE increased! ERP for no reason increase CTE $6.00 there are countless
gantry by the time u reach town you forgot how much LTSA has whacked your ERP !!

PAP is now suck us dry before they become minority party in the year 2016!
Just watch and see this will happened!
Karma!!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Must thank PAP for the inflation, they are the one who increase first,
Property Tax increased, Medishield Insurance increased! than all other
insurance company follow suit.

COE increased! ERP for no reason increase CTE $6.00 there are countless
gantry by the time u reach town you forgot how much LTSA has whacked your ERP !!

PAP is now suck us dry before they become minority party in the year 2016!
Just watch and see this will happened!
Karma!!

You are a very angry young man, full of fury and full of passion. If you travel round the world, you will see the same trend: price increase everywhere. The cost of living will be very much higher than you would expect. Food is expensive. Service is expensive.Commodities are expensive. Everything is expensive. Sometimes, even going to the toilet is expensive.

So there is nothing special about the increase in the cost of living in Singapore. In other countries, prices are adjusted every six months and you have to bear with them. In Singapore today, many Singaporeans have been rewarded once again by a very benevolent government with cash incentives. Many house-holds are enjoying the cash incentives and they are grateful to the government for its financial assistance. I got my $500 and I am extremely grateful. Some of my friends got $1000. And they are laughing all the way to the best restaurant in town. Thanks to our great compassionate government.

What more do you want? Travel across our borders and you will hurry back to embrace our government and kiss the ground of Singapore.

I think we should applaud our world class governance instead of throwing bricks all the time. We are not perfect. But we will try to be fair and benevolent to all citizens.

Happy National Day!!! Hallelujah!!! Majulah Singapura!!!

Eldorado

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Follow sg malay mat style.

Buy plain rice 50 cents and ask for chili.

Buy kachang and ikan bilis $1.00

Total cost $1.50

Or buy instant cup noodles.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are a very angry young man, full of fury and full of passion. If you travel round the world, you will see the same trend: price increase everywhere. The cost of living will be very much higher than you would expect. Food is expensive. Service is expensive.Commodities are expensive. Everything is expensive. Sometimes, even going to the toilet is expensive.
Elsewhere, the wages is higher to support the rise in cost of living.
If prices here are higher even though we have millions of cheap labour, then someone is making lots of dough. It is profiteering that is the main cause.

So there is nothing special about the increase in the cost of living in Singapore. In other countries, prices are adjusted every six months and you have to bear with them. In Singapore today, many Singaporeans have been rewarded once again by a very benevolent government with cash incentives. Many house-holds are enjoying the cash incentives and they are grateful to the government for its financial assistance. I got my $500 and I am extremely grateful. Some of my friends got $1000. And they are laughing all the way to the best restaurant in town. Thanks to our great compassionate government.
What crock are you smoking?

What more do you want? Travel across our borders and you will hurry back to embrace our government and kiss the ground of Singapore.
Only supporters of PAP behave this way.

I think we should applaud our world class governance instead of throwing bricks all the time. We are not perfect. But we will try to be fair and benevolent to all citizens.
World class governance - hawker centres with rats problems, dengue epidemic uncontrolled for months, did nothing for weeks on the haze problem and then pretend to do something and the only action that came out is ONE N95 mask for those who are poor. Are you for real?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Follow sg malay mat style.

Buy plain rice 50 cents and ask for chili.

Buy kachang and ikan bilis $1.00

Total cost $1.50

Or buy instant cup noodles.

Dun be surprise when the vile pap starts promoting this type of diet for sinkies who find daily meals too expensive.
Huat ah!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the toh kee duck rice at peoples' park rally toh liao...the standard really terok.
the service howlian...the price again shot up!!!

i prefer the stall nearer the pau stall...better in fact, but of course,not cheaper as well!!!

the tiong bahru chwee jia pau also the same...standard drops since they moved from the old tiong bahru hawker centre....i heard the two brothers quarrelled and split....now both suffer no business.....another great loss to food fans like me....sad hor

This was years back, we were working like 7am to 1am & then getting back to work at 6am thing, computer upgrading, system upgrading...my co-worker used to drive me to TB Mkt & we queued for the Tiong Bahru , Pau, Siew mai, ha gau & law mai kai...it was handmade on the spot, at 1am in the morning we have a long queue & a long line of parked cars too. The TB Mkt Chwee kway...with stacks of them in round trays waiting to be steamed, at 6am, there are already people waiting...we would buy & packed many to bring to office for ourselves & staff.

Chwee Jia Pau way back, everytime there is some function at the office, I would take the bus from Chulia Street, where it was known as "san chai tang" a bus terminal, to Tiong Bahru Market..buy at least 200 of them...old man was around those days..& later we would call in advance to make order. It was that popular those times..

Nowadays..with the crappy franchising...TB chwee kway..taste like.... same goes with the TN pau..or even the Koek Rd one..or the Katong laksa etc.. it is plain "YUCKS!" the chwee jia pau...is terrible tasting, used to like the sweet version, with the black tau sar...

We have lost a great heritage of good tasting food to progress...:p

Last edited: