• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$20.50 for Ngoh Hiang at Lavender Food Centre

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
1503.jpg

A reader's search for some cheap hawker fare last Friday turned out to be a shock after he was charged $20.50 for a plate of Ngoh Hiang dishes.

The contributor to Stomp, who goes by the nickname Hawker Fan, said that he had ordered seven items from a Ngor Hiong stall at Lavendar Food Centre.

Two items alone, sotong and pink sausage, cost $6 and $4 respectively, making up half the total cost of the bill.

In comparison, another popular sotong dish served barbeque-style and with sambal chilli at another stall at the food centre only costs $4.50 a plate, according to the contributor.

"We were shocked by the steep price and everyone was puzzled as to how each item could possibly cost $3 on average," said Hawker Fan in an email to the citizen journalism website.

He said that he does not have the habit of checking the price of each food item, but this incident has caused him to think twice. "We usually eat without checking each and every food item prices, but I guess now we will after this incident."

"We are not asking patrons to boycott this stall, but we are hoping to bring awareness to all food fanatics in Singapore to enjoy local delights without getting into such situations," he added.

Hawker Fan also advised foodies to avoid getting sotong and pink sausage when picking out their dishes as they were over-priced.

Ngoh Hiang is Hokkien or Teochew dish made up of a composition of various meat and vegetables, with a fried roll stuffed with minced pork or prawn seasoned with five-spice power being the main highlight.

[email protected]

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ngo Hiong is expensive, prepare to pay $7 at least for 4-5 items...

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aiyah, $20 also made so much noise! This dish is expensive everywhere....and you had sotong and pink sausage too!!! He took 7 items and still complained! Simply showed his sheer ignorance.

Two items alone, sotong and pink sausage, cost $6 and $4 respectively, making up half the total cost of the bill.

The nearby wanton mee has gone up too...$4...but look at the Queue!!!! Most of the stalls had their prices Up. The famous Crawford St bakchomee also UP. But it' still worth it!!! Come on give these hawkers a break man!!! Everything gone up. Rentals gone up.PUB bills up. What do you expect? Lower the prices? Come on, have a heart!!!!

chilakak

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only way to handle businesses that profiteer in an excessive manner is to simply not patronize them. After all, whether you eat a $20.50 plate or a $7 plate of ngoh hiang, the output from your posterior the next day is the same.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is a notorious a knock-carrot-head staLL ! ..esp when he eyes whenever you are with Ladies..:(
What we did was to ask this fucker to do a countback on the spot, which he faiLed to sum up..LastLy he just gave
us a $2 discount ..:cool:

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a notorious a knock-carrot-head staLL ! ..esp when he eyes whenever you are with Ladies..:(
What we did was to ask this fucker to do a countback on the spot, which he faiLed to sum up..LastLy he just gave

Guys, its very very true, U will be very taken advantaged of if u are with Ladies of the Nites.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Guys, its very very true, U will be very taken advantaged of if u are with Ladies of the Nites.

Knn, these unethicaL hawkers many a times go by heads' count, thinking that you wouLd be so tied up chatting with
the Ladies ! ! :eek::mad:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

yes, that's the way. ask them to itemise and catch them red face and red handed. but be careful, dont irritate them. they will find an excuse to whack you and when they whack you and shout for water, the rest of the stall holders will join in and whack you....and a riot will be the result.....

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that stall must have been patronised by one kee chiu General.
He will bring it up at an opportune time.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
the number 1 is octopus not sotong. I think if you eat at the popular Chong chong in sennet estate the meal with the same items would be around $12.00 . Had a very bad experience eating indian rojak at ayer rajah food centre.
Habib's Rojak
Blk 503, West Coast Drive
Stall 68 Ayer Rajah Food Centre
Singapore 120503
2 pc cuttle fish $6
2pc prawn fritter $4
2pc fish cake $4
2 pc potato $3
1 pc coconut fritter $1.5
1pc tau kwa $1.5
damage 20.00 I asked them to count pc by pc.
The previous time it was $25.00
I won't be eating from this stall any more.
) , Next time around I decided to order from another stall a few units away , it was $12.00.

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i used to take teochew muay

now i avoid teochew muay liao simply because the price has gone upppppp!!!!

the standard had gone downnnnn!!!!..i cook at home ...haha

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was some time back, at FOOD REPUBLIC , Wisma Atria, I was once eating there...this family next to me remarked loudly , WAH LAU EH! $30 for the Ngoh Hiang they ordered, in the past the benchmark for ridiculous prices & "tok chai tau' ( chop carrot head), was Newton Hawker Centre. But now, it seems to be the NORM everywhere, how not to "tok chai tau", when the normal Heartland coffee shop can be sold for millions?? It is people you voted for, allow, merchants to "tok your chai tau"...what is CASE doing...NOTHING!!:mad:

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This was some time back, at FOOD REPUBLIC , Wisma Atria, was once eating there...this family next to me, had the fortunate experience of eating in a Food Court like that, bought Ngoh Hiang...the loud gasps & remark was , "WAH LAU EH!, SIBEH KUEI...$50"..

food republic number one cut throat prices....eating ngoh hiang and indian rojak is an open cheque for the stall owners....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
food republic number one cut throat prices....eating ngoh hiang and indian rojak is an open cheque for the stall owners....

I hunt for the best quality food at an AFFORDABLE & reasonable prices, if I have to eat there, IF..not!, I avoid...same goes with KOPI , DIAM!...for we diam!, diam!. Common sense will tell you, that kind of rentals..."Ngoh Hiang" & indian Rojak or any Rojak, or poppiah can not be cheap.

Is that lady selling "dragon beard" still there? The Kar Chang putih Indian seller, I know him from way, way back...I am talking about Food Republic, Wisma Atria.

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yong tau fu also the same. make sure you count the pieces yourself...otherwise the price will shock you!!!

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
the number 1 is octopus not sotong. I think if you eat at the popular Chong chong in sennet estate the meal with the same items would be around $12.00 . Had a very bad experience eating indian rojak at ayer rajah food centre.
Habib's Rojak
Blk 503, West Coast Drive
Stall 68 Ayer Rajah Food Centre
Singapore 120503
2 pc cuttle fish $6
2pc prawn fritter $4
2pc fish cake $4
2 pc potato $3
1 pc coconut fritter $1.5
1pc tau kwa $1.5
damage 20.00 I asked them to count pc by pc.
The previous time it was $25.00
I won't be eating from this stall any more.
) , Next time around I decided to order from another stall a few units away , it was $12.00.

chong chong is reasonable

I ever kena Lavender one

damn exp and unfriendly aunty

the other one exp is at toa payoh central kopi shop

few stalls away from the famous prawn noodle stall

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was some time back, at FOOD REPUBLIC , Wisma Atria, I was once eating there...this family next to me remarked loudly , WAH LAU EH! $30 for the Ngoh Hiang they ordered, in the past the benchmark for ridiculous prices & "tok chai tau' ( chop carrot head), was Newton Hawker Centre. But now, it seems to be the NORM everywhere, how not to "tok chai tau", when the normal Heartland coffee shop can be sold for millions?? It is people you voted for, allow, merchants to "tok your chai tau"...what is CASE doing...NOTHING!!:mad:

No mystery on who the owners of FOOD REPUBLIC voted for :wink:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
taling about prawn noodle , the one at cambridge hawker centre, the aunty damned howlian!!!

i stopped patronising the stall liao...damned howlian...and the price shot up sky high now!!!