• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 17 new Zika cases potential new cluster at bishan

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zika outbreak: 17 new cases; potential new cluster in Bishan

There are 17 new cases of Zika in Singapore as of noon on Tuesday (Sept 6), the Health Ministry (MOH) and National Environment Agency (NEA) have confirmed, as a potential new cluster emerged in Bishan.

Of the new cases, 10 are linked to the Aljunied Crescent, Sims Drive, Paya Lebar Way and Kallang Way cluster, Singapore's biggest.

One new patient lives in the Bishan Street 12 area, where a previously-reported case also lives. The area is a potential new cluster, the MOH and NEA said in an update on Tuesday evening.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zika could live in eyes, spread through tears - study

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The Zika virus can live in eyes, researchers said on Tuesday (Sept 6), after conducting experiments on mice that may explain why some patients develop ocular disease and in some cases become blind.

The study, published in the journal Cell Reports, studied the effects of Zika virus infection in the eyes of foetal, newborn and adult mice.

"Our study suggests that the eye could be a reservoir for Zika virus," said Michael Diamond, a professor at the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis who is one of the study's senior authors.

"We need to consider whether people with Zika have infectious virus in their eyes and how long it actually persists," he added, noting that patients could spread the infection through their tears.

The researchers are planning to expand their study to include humans infected with Zika virus.

Zika causes only mild symptoms such as fever and a rash for most people but pregnant women who catch it can give birth to babies with microcephaly, a deformation marked by abnormally small brains and heads.

One third of babies infected with Zika in utero have eye disease such as inflammation of the optic nerve, retinal damage or blindness, the researchers said.

In adults, Zika can cause conjunctivitis, also known as pink eye, and in some rare cases uveitis, a condition in which part of the eye wall becomes inflamed. It can lead to permanent vision loss.

In conducting the study, researchers infected mice under the skin, similar to the way a human would be infected by a mosquito.

They found live Zika virus in the rodents' eyes seven days later.

Infection in the eyes means it's possible people can become infected with Zika simply through touching contaminated tears.

It's still not clear how the Zika virus makes its way to the eyes. One possibility is that it crosses "the blood-retina barrier that separates the eye from the bloodstream, travelling along the optic nerve that connects the brain and the eye," researchers said in a statement.

Researchers found genetic material from Zika in the tears of infected mice 28 days after infection - though not the virus itself.

"Even though we didn't find live virus in mouse tears, that doesn't mean that it couldn't be infectious in humans," said lead author Jonathan Miner, who teaches medicine at Washington University.

"There could be a window of time when tears are highly infectious and people are coming in contact with it and able to spread it."

TOPICS: ZIKA VIRUSSCIENTIFIC RESEARCH

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/u...n-eyes-spread-through-tears-study#xtor=CS1-10

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
zika virus is spreading faster than andromeda virus.and we have no way of destroying it!!!!!somebody call Dr Peter Levitt and Dustin Hoffman now!!!!

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pastor Rony Tan said he commanded the devil to stop rocking the plane during his domestic flight in Indonesia. Perhaps he is the only human who can command the devil to stop the spreading of zika . But the health minister needs to go down officially to lighthouse.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to worry, 70% Sinkies hve been blind for the past 51 years, not going to make a impact if the 30% also be blinded if infected.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is suspected that zika remains in the body longer than suspected.
So they recommend abstaining from sex for 6 months.

Geylang is one of the zika hotspots. Just imagine if they don't have bisness for 6 months:eek:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pastor Rony Tan said he commanded the devil to stop rocking the plane during his domestic flight in Indonesia. Perhaps he is the only human who can command the devil to stop the spreading of zika . But the health minister needs to go down officially to lighthouse.

You mean Gan go to Pedra....the lighthouse?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lucky me i have no tears left.

Me too....how to cry? when the 70% voted for this...no tears anymore.....new ruling...(1) crying must not come with tears (2) Those in the ZIKA virus areas MUST NOT HAVE SEX UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would be more worried, than zika, if it happens.

Don't worry lah.

The Gecko must be lonely & is probably keeping him close. He also has the Prataman to keep him busy.
He may also be busy preparing for some new company like LHL:o I think LHL had a close call on the day of the National Day Rally when he fainted:wink:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't worry lah.

The Gecko must be lonely & is probably keeping him close. He also has the Prataman to keep him busy.
He may also be busy preparing for some new company like LHL:o I think LHL had a close call on the day of the National Day Rally when he fainted:wink:

He saw the same owl that visited him at the Instana.....sitting on the chair , that was why he went pale & blacked out....

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry lah.

Haha, these few old folks together reminded me of a forumer (sorry forgot his nick) who wrote conversations between LKY, Nair, etc., not sure if Prataman was involved too, that sneak out behind Istana's Guard house at night for chats of happenings in cabinet and SG. I recalled all the posts were consolidated into a thread some years back. It was hilarious and great efforts to maintain that thread with updates!

Now that all are together again, albeit in another world, it would be nice break if that forumer will to continue the chats.

Anyone recall that thread?