• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

15% Economic Growth during YOG, MRT level @City Sq 3 Vacant Shops

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason for many of these half-empty mall foodcourts is REIT

Real Estate Investment Trust

They squeeze higher and higher rent - the hawker cannot tahan except to pass it on

So a plate of nasi lemak becomes $6 to $8

Average Singaporean eats at hawker centre $3

Nowadays you see the return of the uncle on his bicycle selling $1.50 nasi lemak in Geylang Serai, Joo Chiat - rice, one slice of egg and one ikan kuning - selling very well

People are broke - the $1.50 meal will sell well - the $8 foodcourt meal very few will eat - so the hawker after three months close shop

pc2009

Alfrescian
Loyal
My observation; I have seen quite a few vacant stalls in many food courts and coffee shops. I guess it has come to a point that business is not sustainable anymore with the high rental. What do you think ?

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
My observation; I have seen quite a few vacant stalls in many food courts and coffee shops. I guess it has come to a point that business is not sustainable anymore with the high rental. What do you think ?

Retail space is not a homogenous commodity. There is a lack of retail space in popular, well established shopping areas with established human traffic. There is a however a huge over supply of retail space in new shopping areas which hardly anyone ever goes to.

Human beings are creatures of habit. With only 24 hours a day, we tend to stick to things which we are comfortable with. For most people, they already have an internal roster of shopping malls/eating places which they rotate for leisure.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The reason for many of these half-empty mall foodcourts is REIT

Real Estate Investment Trust

They squeeze higher and higher rent - the hawker cannot tahan except to pass it on

So a plate of nasi lemak becomes $6 to $8

Average Singaporean eats at hawker centre $3

Nowadays you see the return of the uncle on his bicycle selling $1.50 nasi lemak in Geylang Serai, Joo Chiat - rice, one slice of egg and one ikan kuning - selling very well

People are broke - the $1.50 meal will sell well - the $8 foodcourt meal very few will eat - so the hawker after three months close shop

REIT is just another layer of so called scheme to just use public's (read investor)money to buy up/rent retail space and charge high rent, where ultimately the cost will be passed to the consumers and the managers will earn big money, with good returns and performance kpi on the properties.

silliporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only a cock head will set up a mall in that Ah Neh area lah...just a few blocks down the road even the king of serangoon road Mustaffa is not doing well...

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
business die there good

because smart consumers come to my restaurants that give good value for money

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
fire_breaks_out_at_lau_pa_sat_and_black_smoke_billows_from_roof-thumbnail.jpg

Times are bad everywhere !

Set fire to claim losses .