• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

1 worker dead, 2 others in ICU after inhaling poisonous gas at Choa Chu Kang Waterworks: PUB

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal

1 worker dead, 2 others in ICU after inhaling poisonous gas at Choa Chu Kang Waterworks: PUB​

They were carrying out routine tank cleaning works.
Seri Mazliana |
clock.png
May 23, 2024, 05:51 PM

photo_2024-05-23-17.50.36.jpeg

Telegram

Whatsapp

One worker has died while two others are in intensive care after inhaling a poisonous gas at the Choa Chu Kang Waterworks PUB site on May 23, 2024 at around 11:15am.
In a statement on May 23, a spokesperson from PUB said that the sub-contractor workers collapsed while carrying out routine tank cleaning works.

According to early investigations, the workers inhaled hydrogen sulphide, a gas produced from sludge, as a by-product of the water treatment process.
All three workers were taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital in an unconscious state.
One worker died at the hospital while the other two remain in the intensive care unit (ICU).
PUB has implemented a safety timeout for similar operations in confined spaces and is reviewing the associated safety measures.
PUB also conveyed its condolences to the deceased's family and are rendering support to the affected families.
The spokesperson said: "Safety and health at all our workplaces are of utmost importance to PUB. We will cooperate fully with the investigation."

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Wah, things are getting interesting in sg! Not sure that an old fart like me can handle all the excitement.

Anyway, RIP to the dead worker and may the other two recover soon.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
My kakis in the industry says that most of the safety procedures and protocols like the mandatory Risk Assessments were just lip service and wayang meetings to generate more documents that doesn't really make the work any safer. The members of these meeting are generally the lowest ranking blur fucks that can't be useful anywhere else. So they are intellectually inadequate for real safety discussions.

My friend say for incidents like these, a proper gas test, ventilation, sufficient air displacement, continuous monitoring and calculations on dilution and rates are performed. It can be very technical and not many engineers know how to do it.

But he as an experienced gas tester knows not to disturb sludge as that will release potential harmful gases. If necessary he says the workers must put on breathing apparatus.

His suspicion is inadequate gas monitoring and workers not briefed not to disturb the sludge.

I can only surmise that there is plenty of incompetent people working in Singapore.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My kakis in the industry says that most of the safety procedures and protocols like the mandatory Risk Assessments were just lip service and wayang meetings to generate more documents that doesn't really make the work any safer. The members of these meeting are generally the lowest ranking blur fucks that can't be useful anywhere else. So they are intellectually inadequate for real safety discussions.

My friend say for incidents like these, a proper gas test, ventilation, sufficient air displacement, continuous monitoring and calculations on dilution and rates are performed. It can be very technical and not many engineers know how to do it.

But he as an experienced gas tester knows not to disturb sludge as that will release potential harmful gases. If necessary he says the workers must put on breathing apparatus.

His suspicion is inadequate gas monitoring and workers not briefed not to disturb the sludge.

I can only surmise that there is plenty of incompetent people working in Singapore.
some are book smart but street stupid.