• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$0.9B SMRT scandal?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
A week has passed and there are still no details on the co-sharing arrangement of the costs. SMRT Corp is a listed company that pays dividends to its shareholders. Though owned by Temasek in the main, its construct is that of a private entity. It is also a private company that has been proud to publicise its profit making prowess and the dividends it has delivered to shareholders until the recent spate of incidents over the last few months.

When it was listed, the financial arrangements placed the responsibility of infrastructure on LTA and the operating assets on SMRT Corp. In 2010, there was change in arrangements and the details are not clear.

The Govt has a duty to reveal in detail the co-sharing of costs arrangement on the $0.9B that is scheduled to be spent over 8 years. More importantly it has to explain the mechanics and rationale for this construct and the benefits it provides to taxpayers. It needs to make it clear that SMRT is not enjoying subsidies or grants from the State while its shareholders are getting dividends.

The big picture is the continous conflict of interest when the PM's wife is the Head of Temasek and holds the majority share in SMRT Corp. Is the cost-sharing arrangement making her look good. Is the State propping up the share value of SMRT Corp.

Thus far the listing of SMRT Corp ostensibly to gain from the well known values of privatisation does not make sense if the State is actually carrying this baby for all intents and purposes.

It is also odd that it was SMRT Corp that released the co-funding arrangement and not the Govt. Was it to avoid the elephant in the room which is the conitnuing political damage incurred by the husband from the claws that do not hold to passengers engaged in skaywalking with the grocery bags in both hands.

Lastly, time for Parliament to have good hard look at Temasek and its present management. SIA under the old regime became the worlds most profitable airline with a pint sized civil servant helming it. It did not come back to seek help from the state coffers after the initial seed funding. Its main operational costs is also engineering related and it is also in the transport sector. How did it pay for "renewal and replacement". Its operatings assets ie planes and equipment need to be serviced and replaced. Where did the funds come from? Was cost co-sharing in play or needed? Did the passengers engage in skywalking.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
proposed subsidy of $1.1B to SBS and now proposed subsidy of $0.98B to SMRT...this wld not happen under LKY's leadership.

This is a clear sign of effects of nepotism and cronyism in SG

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every entity that has been managed by the lady had seen losses - Micropolis, Chartered Semicon, Temasek Holdings companies..SMRT just reported Q1 losses.

It certainly has to do with her special kitchen economics. Both she and her hubby are competing to see who governs worse.

Lastly, time for Parliament to have good hard look at Temasek and its present management. SIA under the old regime became the worlds most profitable airline with a pint sized civil servant helming it.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ckmpd said:
proposed subsidy of $1.1B to SBS and now proposed subsidy of $0.98B to SMRT...this wld not happen under LKY's leadership.

Imagine the size of the total cost of correcting the mistakes and neglect of the past. But spend we have to. Otherwise the figures will be even more astronomical.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imagine the size of the total cost of correcting the mistakes and neglect of the past. But spend we have to. Otherwise the figures will be even more astronomical.

True..all the mistakes and neglect show the incompetence of LHL's Cabinet.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kingrant said:
Every entity that has been managed by the lady had seen losses - Micropolis, Chartered Semicon, Temasek Holdings companies..SMRT just reported Q1 losses.

It certainly has to do with her special kitchen economics. Both she and her hubby are competing to see who governs worse.

When you have a freehand in the run of things, this is what you get. In the management of a company, there is such a thing as check and balance. Where is the check and balance here?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good to have you back in the forum bro.

The $1.1B for SBS Transit was announced by Tharman and the details are a lot clear. The accounts will be ring-fenced and monitored and any profit will be clawed back. It nevertheless says alot about our GLCs who of late cannot seem to operate without the state crutches.

3 perm secs created and built SIA and DBS. I can't recall they calling for help.

One fucked up lady married to the PM in her very first foray bought a company which folded within a year. Any other person would have been sacked for failing to carry out due diligence. I cannot think of a case where a purchase had to be liquidated in such speed and time. No proper inquiry for a lost of $340m. Instead from CEO of ST she was promoted to CEO of Temasek. Dhanabalan who appointed her praised her for cutting losses.

To make it worse, the PM at the time of her appointement actually said that he knew that it was awkward and there was a conflict of interest but it was done for the greater good.

Exactly 10 years later to the day that she was appointed, she has to her name a long list of car wrecks. The only consolation is that she is remarkably consistent. If Philip Yeo showed his class by buying and bring it into Sembawang Engineering, She bought into a Kindergarten chain run by a red neck couple and lost millions.

If I had done any of these, nobody would want to lim kopi with me including ISD, my family would have their surname changed by deed poll, and i would be walking with a paper bag over my head out of sheer embarrassment.

Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good to have you back in the forum bro.

The $1.1B for SBS Transit was announced by Tharman and the details are a lot clear. The accounts will be ring-fenced and monitored and any profit will be clawed back. It nevertheless says alot about our GLCs who of late cannot seem to operate without the state crutches.

3 perm secs created and built SIA and DBS. I can't recall they calling for help.

One fucked up lady married to the PM in her very first foray bought a company which folded within a year. Any other person would have been sacked for failing to carry out due diligence. I cannot think of a case where a purchase had to be liquidated in such speed and time. No proper inquiry for a lost of $340m. Instead from CEO of ST she was promoted to CEO of Temasek. Dhanabalan who appointed her praised her for cutting losses.

To make it worse, the PM at the time of her appointement actually said that he knew that it was awkward and there was a conflict of interest but it was done for the greater good.

Exactly 10 years later to the day that she was appointed, she has to her name a long list of car wrecks. The only consolation is that she is remarkably consistent. If Philip Yeo showed his class by buying and bring it into Sembawang Engineering, She bought into a Kindergarten chain run by a red neck couple and lost millions.

If I had done any of these, nobody would want to lim kopi with me including ISD, my family would have their surname changed by deed poll, and i would be walking with a paper bag over my head out of sheer embarrassment.

Thanks for the welcome!!

The standards demanded these days of our civil servants and political leaders are appalling.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A week has passed and there are still no details on the co-sharing arrangement of the costs. SMRT Corp is a listed company that pays dividends to its shareholders. Though owned by Temasek in the main, its construct is that of a private entity. It is also a private company that has been proud to publicise its profit making prowess and the dividends it has delivered to shareholders until the recent spate of incidents over the last few months ...
"plc" can pay fat dividends 2 shareholders n fat bonuses 2 useless ceo's n bord of directors wen it nids even much mor moni 2 upgrade iz systems ... gahmen can squander peasants' taxes 2 help coyz pay dividends 2 shareholders ... sg is world crass! world bestest! world lumpar 1! ...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A week has passed and there are still no details on the co-sharing arrangement of the costs.

It's hardly a new model. SIA has enjoyed a competitive advantage over its rivals for the last 4 decades for exactly the same reason.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another excellent post scroobal. I expected there was a cost sharing arrangement between the transport operators and the state, but I am certainly surprised to hear that the documents and terms of agreement are not available in the public domain. Is SMRT's profits being subsidized by the state, or was it an arm's length transaction that went wrong? I remember a few parliamentarians who have been passionate about public transportation, and I certainly think this is a good opportunity to demand transparency from the government.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its main operational costs is also engineering related and it is also in the transport sector. .
hahaha....again trying to kay kiang....but obviously don't know what he is talking about......lol.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Govt has a duty to reveal in detail the co-sharing of costs arrangement on the $0.9B that is scheduled to be spent over 8 years. More importantly it has to explain the mechanics and rationale for this construct and the benefits it provides to taxpayers. It needs to make it clear that SMRT is not enjoying subsidies or grants from the State while its shareholders are getting dividends.
Taxpayers per se don't benefit but consumers who are also tax payers do.
The rationale of tax payers footing the maintenance or upgrading is clear. the track belongs to the nation, not SMRT. SMRT is a contractor that runs the system.

The big picture is the continous conflict of interest when the PM's wife is the Head of Temasek and holds the majority share in SMRT Corp. Is the cost-sharing arrangement making her look good. Is the State propping up the share value of SMRT Corp.
PM's wife does not won Temasek, the nation does dear.

Thus far the listing of SMRT Corp ostensibly to gain from the well known values of privatisation does not make sense if the State is actually carrying this baby for all intents and purposes.
Does the state carry the operating costs of running the trains?

It is also odd that it was SMRT Corp that released the co-funding arrangement and not the Govt. Was it to avoid the elephant in the room which is the conitnuing political damage incurred by the husband from the claws that do not hold to passengers engaged in skaywalking with the grocery bags in both hands.
You mean the govt never announced it?

Lastly, time for Parliament to have good hard look at Temasek and its present management. SIA under the old regime became the worlds most profitable airline with a pint sized civil servant helming it. It did not come back to seek help from the state coffers after the initial seed funding. Its main operational costs is also engineering related and it is also in the transport sector. How did it pay for "renewal and replacement". Its operatings assets ie planes and equipment need to be serviced and replaced. Where did the funds come from? Was cost co-sharing in play or needed? Did the passengers engage in skywalking.

Temasek is part of state coffers. Where do you think money for public works came from?

I am not siding the govt or anything but I kinda think you don't know what you are talking about sir.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM's wife does not won Temasek, the nation does dear.

You do know what conflicts of interests mean, don't you?

Anyway, what is clear is that SMRT is in a bad shape. As a subway operator, it has failed miserably over the last one two years. If Singaporeans have to accept frequent, sometimes massive, breakdowns as part and parcel of life in Singapore, then the situation is really pathetic. What happen to our well-known effectiveness and efficiency?

We should really stop all these internal bickerings among ourselves and different political parties, rally behind Singapore, and weather the storms ahead.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kinana said:
Temasek is part of state coffers. Where do you think money for public works came from?

Come again. Do you mean the money for public works come directly from Temasek?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not apple to apple to compare SMRT & SIA.

SIA faces international competition & they charge a premium (most expensive fares) and they position themselves as premium airline.

You use them if you can afford, else please fuck off.

and they have to constantly improve otherwise, they get hit directly. They don't have a captured / slave market like SMRT.

Their highest cost components are = fuel & staff costs - not engineering costs.

===

now SMRT, they are basically a need provider. SMRT exist because they need to provide reliable, affordable, mass transportation. But sadly, they have not been following this. And as all things in Singapore, the government wants them to make money as well.

But, if they are not supposed to make money, how to do force a company to do so? The fundamental principle is wrong.

A better comparison will be the MTR Corp of Hong Kong. Months ago, i read news that they too, face cost pressure and applied to government for fare increase. They also went into problems with their labor unions regarding pay revisions.

I think their mode of working with the government include subsidies - which I think our government is next doing with SMRT & SBS - but they won't want to come out to admit its subsidy because they think its a dirty word.

However, the flip side of it is, what does consumer get in return? Besides reliability - as they trumpet so much, how about affordability? They are silent about this.