• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buffon & Pirlo can guide Juventus to Champions League final, says Ferrara

gianluigi-buffon-borussia-dortmund-juventus-turin-champions-league-18032015_lt90cs2l73kq13fl47xx8epjz.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Apr 16, 2015 12:32:58

The former Bianconeri boss is hoping the club can make it all the way to Berlin this season, with the Italian duo spearheading their bid

Former Juventus coach Ciro Ferrara believes that veteran duo Andrea Pirlo and Gianluigi Buffon can guide his old side to the Champions League final.

The Bianconeri have one foot in the last four, having beaten Monaco 1-0 in the first leg of their quarter-final clash courtesy of an Arturo Vidal penalty.

And the 48-year-old believes the quality of two of their veteran Italy internationals can get them to the Berlin showpiece on June 6.

"We are talking about two phenomena," he said of the duo to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"They have made history in world football, not just in Italy. In their case, age does not matter. They are champions who have been lucky enough not to have serious injuries and have shown their value for almost 20 years.

"Why can't they reach the final? I'm optimistic by nature but the path is very long, starting with the return clash in Monaco.

"From an Italian perspective I hope they can. Objectively it's very difficult but not impossible. Now they're all games that can be decided with one moment.

"Gigi and Andrea have unique experience."

Juve take their 1-0 aggregate lead to Stade Louis II on Tuesday, with kick-off scheduled for 20:45CET.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Absences to blame for Barca defeat, insists PSG president

psg-president-nasser-al-khelaifi_1al5vlirvg7e41ik54tdn7ug1x.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 16, 2015 16:33:43

The Ligue 1 titleholders were beaten 3-1 at the Parc des Princes by the Catalans and the Qatari felt that injuries and suspensions cost the hosts dearly

Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has put Wednesday's resounding Champions League loss to Barcelona down to absence of four key players.

Luis Suarez scored a sensational double after Neymar had opened the scoring, as the Catalans recorded an impressive 3-1 victory at the Parc des Princes, with Gregory van der Wiel netting a late consolation for the hosts.

Barca were lauded for a terrific away performance but Al-Khelaifi argued that there were mitigating circumstances, pointing out that PSG had gone into the quarter-final, first-leg clash without suspended trio Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Marco Verratti and Serge Aurier, as well as the injured Thiago Motta.

"We are of course disappointed with the result," the PSG supremo told RMC Sport. "But we understand why this outcome has happened: we were missing four key players.

"But this is football; we have to accept it. Perhaps we were also playing against the best team in the world, with great attackers.

"But I want to thank our players for giving the maximum. It was perhaps not enough against Barca, but everyone has given their all.

"Now we need to focus on the next match against Nice, because the French championship is very important to us.

"Then we can think about the second leg. It will be very difficult for us but it's not finished yet. We will give our best and keep trying everything until the last minute."

However, Al-Khelaifi says that PSG will have to play far more adventurously and intensely at Camp Nou next Tuesday than they did in the first leg.

"We were not aggressive enough," he added. "It's impossible to beat Barca, with all their great players, if you are not aggressive.

"I'm sure the coach will talk with the players and analyse the mistakes we made.

"We are disappointed not to have beaten Barca at home, but this is not the end of the world."

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koke: Mandzukic deserves credit for defending Carvajal over bite claim

koke-luka-modric-atletico-de-madrid-real-madrid-champions-league-04142015_12sfwb36jzumq16o9isnic3tww.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 16, 2015 17:50:25

The midfielder has lauded the Croat for addressing and denying rumours that the Real Madrid defender bit him

Koke believes that Atletico Madrid team-mate Mario Mandzukic deserves credit for defending Dani Carvajal over claims that the Real Madrid defender bit the striker during Tuesday's Champions League clash.

Uefa looked set to open an inquiry into images of Carvajal seemingly moving his mouth towards Mandzukic's outstretched arm during the second half of the 0-0 draw at the Vicente Calderon.

However, the Croatia international promptly defused the situation by taking to Twitter the following morning to say: "There was no controversy: no bite, no nothing."

Koke feels that Mandzukic should be lauded for his old-school attitude to on-field clashes.

"It's to Mandzu's credit that he did what he did, by saying there was no bite," the midfielder is quoted as saying by AS. "I think it's great he came out in [Carvajal's] defence.

"There's no point in going on about it. What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch."

Koke is instead looking forward to next week's second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu, believing that Atletico still have every chance of progressing to the semi-finals thanks to the away-goals rule.

"There are no favourites, but if there were it would be Madrid," the Spain international added. "They won the competition last year and they're playing at home.

"But we're still in it. We'll give it everything to go through. It's 0-0 and they're in front of their own fans but, at the end of the day, it's 11 against 11 and if we score it'll count as double.

"From the first leg we learned that they will come out with a lot of intensity, as we saw during the first half.

"In the second half we were able to match that intensity. They are a great team and we will have to come out as strong as them or even more so."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Verratti: Messi more beautiful to watch than Ronaldo & Hazard

lionel-messi-marco-verratti-psg-paris-saint-germain-barcelona-champions-league-10122014_1ehnk27lmtlpg1cmwowyyvyl4n.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 17, 2015 23:12:10

The Italy international thinks the Argentine is the toughest opponent he has faced and says he would love to emulate Andrea Pirlo in his career

Paris Saint-Germain star Marco Verratti says Lionel Messi is the toughest player he has faced and the most captivating to watch, ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo and Eden Hazard.

The Ligue 1 champions have faced Barcelona three times in this season's Champions League alone, with Messi helping the Catalans to a 3-1 win at Parc des Princes on Wednesday.

Though he missed that match through suspension, Verratti is in no doubt that the Argentine is the best opponent he has ever faced, ahead of Real Madrid sensation Ronaldo and Chelsea favourite Hazard, formerly of Lille.

"Yes, the toughest and the most beautiful to watch," he told L'Equipe when asked if Messi was his sternest adversary.

"I have played against greats, like Ronaldo and Hazard. But I love watching Messi's touch of the ball, his style."

Verratti has regularly been earmarked as Italy's long-term successor to Juventus stalwart Andrea Pirlo and the 22-year-old says he would love to emulate the playmaker's career.

"Our style of play is still a bit different," he said when asked if he agreed with the comparisons.

"Pirlo has won everything: the World Cup, the Champions League... it's a great honour to be compared to him. I hope to have his career."

3BCC98D635039D79602084C7FBAFC4A7.jpg

The former Pescara youngster also admits is habit of attempting to play out of danger has landed him in trouble with his team-mates in the past.

"There are times when it is worth taking risks," said Verratti. "That's my style of play. If you lose the ball in those few seconds, it's dangerous, but if you succeed you can damage your opponent.

"At the beginning, yes [they reproached me]. Thiago Silva, among others. But now they often tell me to keep doing it because it helps the defenders or attackers retrieve the ball."

Finally, Verratti said the backing from PSG's supporters has left him convinced he made the right decision to join the club in 2012 - but refuted the idea that he has already become 'the boss' of Laurent Blanc's midfield.

He continued: "In football today, there is no boss. Football has changed - you need a great team, not just one player. No one can make the difference alone.

"I didn't expect it here because there are great champions here and I'm abroad. When you hear your name like that, in the stadium, it makes you think you made the right choice to sign. The best way to thank the fans is to play as much as possible and stay as long as possible."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have no interest in Real Madrid, says Lopetegui

paulo-sousa-julen-lopetegui-fc-basel-fc-porto-champions-league-18022015_gml4r07t34es13qic43n4113i.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 17, 2015 21:19:57

The 48-year-old says he is happy to continue his project at Porto despite rumours linking him with the European champions

Porto boss Julen Lopetegui insists he has "no interest" in considering the Real Madrid coaching job.

Carlo Ancelotti's future with the European champions has become shrouded in speculation lately, with Madrid trailing Barcelona in La Liga and facing a fight to continue their Champions League defence after a 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid in the quarter-final first leg.

Lopetegui, who masterminded a 3-1 win over Bayern Munich on Wednesday, has emerged in the Spanish media as a potential candidate to succeed Ancelotti at Santiago Bernabeu, but the 48-year-old says he is happy at the Dragao.

"There is no interest in that," he told a press conference when asked about the Madrid rumours.

"I'm very happy to be coach of FC Porto. I feel very happy to be heading a three-year project. I'm at a great team."

Lopetegui's side resume domestic duties against Academica on Saturday.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Bayern played like they were on sleeping pills'

robert-lewandowski-fc-porto-fc-bayern-munchen-champions-league-15042015_mggfbj220b1l19iovi3kzbp7i.jpg

Apr 17, 2015 20:30:08

Franz Beckenbauer admits he was "angry" at the way in which the German champions performed in their shock defeat to Porto and has urged them to improve

Bayern Munich played against Porto as though they had taken sleeping pills, according to former Germany star Franz Beckenbauer.

The Bundesliga champions found themselves two goals down inside 10 minutes at the Estadio do Dragao in the Champions League quarter-final first leg, and a further defensive lapse saw them eventually lose 3-1.

The club's honorary president admits he was left feeling "angry" after watching their performance and says their fate in this year's tournament is sealed unless every player steps up his game in the second leg.

"It was one of those days, all the players didn't show their real performance," he told reporters at an event to mark the club's new media agreement with MSN.

"Sometimes you say 'the left-back plays bad' or 'the goalkeeper made a mistake'. But in this game all the players… nada!

"After 10 minutes you are 2-0 down in the quarter-final in the Champions League, so many mistakes. I never saw this before. I thought they took sleeping pills! Porto were much faster, real power. It made me angry.

"If they played like that again, no chance [they can go through]. But they can win 2-0 or go to extra-time. They have a chance. Last year we had the same problem, playing excellent in the Bundesliga and then we had two bad days and were out of the competition."

Beckenbauer also believes Bayern could struggle in the latter stages of European competition if they are not given a stern enough test throughout the season in the Bundesliga.

"[Bayern's dominance] is maybe a little problem in the Bundesliga when Bayern leads the league by 20 to 25 points, but this year it's different – we are only 10 points ahead of Wolfsburg!" he said.

"And after the disaster of a few days ago, and with six or seven games left, it’s not over yet.

"The dominance of Bayern Munich is not a problem but… if you want to win the Champions League you need a strong league with a lot of players. Internationally, Bayern Munich belongs to the top teams but to win the Champions League… you saw the game probably two days ago, we are far, far away. With this performance, you don't win anything."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

David Luiz's mum defends under-fire PSG man

david-luiz-paris-saint-germain-barcelona-champions-league-150415_yokhwud9enhi1otqgd2k26jy7.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 16, 2015 23:30:00

The Brazilian was left red-faced by the brilliance of Luis Suarez on Wednesday but Regina Celia has told him to stay positive

David Luiz has been given public words of encouragement following his disastrous game for Paris Saint-Germain this week - by his mum.

The Brazilian was given a torrid time by Luis Suarez as Barcelona won 3-1 in France in the Champions League quarter-final first leg, suffering the ignominy of being nutmegged for each of the Uruguayan's goals.

Regina Celia has since taken to social media to offer support to her son and urge him to keep his head up for the remainder of the campaign.

"We are proud of you, David Luiz," she wrote on Instagram.

"I'll always have you as a son, keep your head up. God knows everything! Jesus fights for us, who are we to judge!

"I will always love you, in good games and much more when things are not going so well."

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone: Atletico must forget about Madrid derby

diegosimeone-cropped_1g1gigsbxf3u715m02eru3rt3p.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 17, 2015 16:01:40

Diego Simeone has warned his team that they must forget about the Champions League and concentrate on a strong end to La Liga

Diego Simeone says Atletico Madrid must forget about their crucial Champions League clash with Real Madrid and instead focus on Saturday's Liga meeting with relegation-threatened Deportivo.

The Rojiblancos drew 0-0 in their quarter-final first leg derby at the Vicente Calderon on Tuesday, with the sides meeting in the return fixture at the Santiago Bernabeu next week.

However, Simeone says that his players cannot afford to lose sight of their primary goal, which is qualifying automatically for next season's Champions League through the Primera Division.

"The hardest thing is finishing third," the Argentine told reporters on Friday. "We have to think about playing a good match tomorrow and be strong against a rival that needs points.

"We are only thinking about tomorrow's match. Tomorrow's is a classic game against a team that is fighting to stay up and will demand that we are at our best level.

"This fixture is key because it's the next one and because we need to keep competing with Valencia and Sevilla [for third]."

Indeed, Atleti are just one point ahead of Los Che and four clear of Unai Emery's men.

"It is a hard fight," Simeone said of the battle for third. "Sevilla have great players, and Valencia do not have European football [to distract them].

"We cannot lower our guard because the competition will be tough between the three sides."

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Madrid might not want me

carlo-ancelotti-real-madrid-eibar-liga-bbva-04112015_1f0cqcdswafep17gnwmyqybod2.jpg

Peter McVitie
Apr 17, 2015 08:13:58

The coach has a year remaining on his contract to discuss an extension, but also acknowledged the club may not wish to offer him fresh terms

Carlo Ancelotti has yet to open talks over a new Real Madrid contract and admitted the club "may not call him" over extending his stay at the Bernabeu.

Speculation around the Italian coach's future has been increasing in recent weeks, with his side sitting second behind Barcelona in La Liga.

However, with his contract running until June 2016, the 55-year-old maintains there is plenty of time to work out the details over a renewal - if both parties want one.

"There is no rush," he told esRadio. "I have another year of my contract to see whether or not I want to renew.

"We talked about sitting down to discuss a new deal, but we never worked out a day to sit.

"If the club don't call on me to renew today, they might call me in September, or perhaps not call me at all."

379EF721B38ECE001908F97FBF29C86A.jpg

Madrid were held to a 0-0 draw by city rivals Atletico in their Champions League quarter-final first leg at the Vicente Calderon on Tuesday, despite the Blancos dominating for large periods.

Ancelotti's side had 17 shots on goal, compared to the eight mustered by Diego Simeone's men, but the Italian insisted he was content with the result and performance.

"The team played well. It's hard to play better than that somewhere as difficult as Atletico. In the first hour we did very well. But of course we are not happy with the result, although it gives us confidence for the second leg on Wednesday."

Ancelotti also reiterated his confidence in veteran goalkeeper Iker Casillas, who has been the subject of whistles from the Bernabeu crowd at times this season.

"He’ll play [against Málaga] on Saturday. For me, it’s very strange that the Bernabéu whistles a player who doesn’t deserve it," Ancelotti added.

"When I was a player, we were whistled many times and a lot of the time we deserved it. Iker has faced the wrath of the fans but making mistakes is normal in football and he has accepted it without problems. It’s different when there is no motive."

A152215832F3FCE960EB7E0880FAEE59.jpg

The discontent from the stands has not affected Casillas' confidence, according to the former Milan boss.

"He’s fine, he seems motivated and relaxed to me," he said. "I can’t say that Keylor Navas is our second-choice because I rotate the goalkeeping position now and again. I have confidence in both of them.

"If Casillas was out of form, I wouldn’t play him. Last season, when he didn’t play, that was down to a decision by the coach – not the board or the club. My job is far simpler than people think; the hard part is explaining to those who don’t play why they are excluded. In Italy, they’d say that [Silvio] Berlusconi would send me the line-up by e-mail so I’m used to all of the gossip that’s said."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: Schweinsteiger could face Porto but Ribery doubtful

pep-guardiola-fc-bayern-bundesliga-04042015_3241iwybj0z11prrwwhoh7az7.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 19, 2015 12:53:41

The Germany international has recovered from a bout of the flu but the Frenchman has yet to fully shake off an ankle problem

Pep Guardiola has revealed that while Bastian Schweinsteiger could be fit for Bayern Munich's must-win meeting with Porto on Tuesday, Franck Ribery is unlikely to be available for the game at the Allianz Arena.

The injury-ravaged Bavarians trail 3-1 on aggregate going into the second leg of the Champions League quarter-final and will definitely be without Arjen Robben, David Alaba, Mehdi Benatia and Javi Martinez, while Philipp Lahm is a major doubt after being struck down by gastroenteritis.

Schweinsteiger, though, is under consideration after shaking off an ankle injury and then recovering from a bout of the flu.

"Basti could play," Guardiola is quoted as saying by Bayern's official website. "He's in good health again."

As for ankle injury victim Ribery, Guardiola was far more cautious, adding: "Let's wait and see. But I don't think Franck can play."

There was better news regarding Juan Bernat, who was forced off at half-time in Saturday's Bundesliga win at Hoffenheim, with Guardiola explaining that the full-back's withdrawal was purely precautionary.

"We didn’t want to take any risks," the Catalan said. "I think he can play on Tuesday."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Key PSG midfielder Thiago Motta not fit to face Barcelona

thiago-motta-psg_4ngxu79fj1d3177t43nz0g37e.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 19, 2015 15:01:09

Laurent Blanc will be without one of his first-choice players as they chase a "Camp Nou miracle" in their Champions League quarter-final tie

Paris Saint-Germain will travel to Barcelona without key midfielder Thiago Motta in their team as they chase a dramatic comeback at Camp Nou.

The Brazilian was sidelined with a hamstring injury as Luis Enrique's men smashed PSG 3-1 in their Champions League quarter-final first leg.

Although Marco Verratti - who missed the defeat at Parc des Princes - has recovered from injury to be named in Laurent Blanc's squad, Thiago Motta's recovery has not been swift enough to see him included.

He will be joined on the sidelines in Catalunya by suspended defender Serge Aurier, who is confident his PSG team-mates can prove everybody wrong by causing an underdog upset to reach the semi-finals of Europe.

"If we do not believe this miracle is possible, it would not even be worth going to Camp Nou," the Ivorian is quoted as saying in L'Equipe.

"Of course it will be extremely difficult against Barcelona, we saw how good they are at Parc des Princes, they are very strong. But if they can score three goals away from home, why can't we?

"We will only be successful if we show our fortitude and character."

PSG will be boosted by the return of star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who missed the opening leg of the quarter-final through suspension after his sending off against Chelsea in the prior round.

PSG's squad in full: Bahebeck, Cabaye, Camara, Cavani, David Luiz, Digne, Douchez, Ibrahimovic, Kipembe, Lavezzi, Lucas, Maignan, Marquinhos, Matuidi, Maxwell, Pastore, Rabiot, Sirigu, Thiago Silva, Van der Wiel, Verratti.

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kroos: Derby draw a dangerous result for Madrid

toni-kroos-real-madrid_1rfiyghctf1ej1709oret6thwn.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 18, 2015 13:37:47

Los Blancos were held to a 0-0 stalemate by Atletico on Tuesday and the Germany international is now worried about getting knocked out on away goals

Toni Kroos believes that Real Madrid are in a perilous position after failing to beat Atletico Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final tie.

Carlo Ancelotti's men had the better of Tuesday's derby at the Vicente Calderon but failed to convert their numerous chances into goals, with Jan Oblak denying the visitors with a string of fine saves.

As a result of the scoreless draw, Madrid now know that a victory of any kind at the Santiago Bernabeu next week will see them progress to the last four at the expense of their city rivals.

However, los Blancos have not beaten Atleti in seven attempts so far this season and Kroos is thus extremely worried about being knocked out on away goals.

"We should have beaten Atletico," the midfielder is quoted as saying by AS. "It wouldn't have been unjust, but we have to accept the result for what it is.

"However, 0-0 is a dangerous result for us with the current away-goals rule."

Kroos has had an impressive debut season in the Spanish capital, after joining from Bayern Munich last summer.

The Germany international says that he is enjoying himself on the field but also loving the fact that he does not have as many media commitments at Madrid as he did in Bavaria.

"My intention is to stay at the club for a considerable time," the World Cup winner added.

"I've signed a five-year contract and am very happy here and am excited about the future.

"I'm happy having plenty of time to spend with my family and not having to give daily interviews!"

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Verratti: Messi more beautiful to watch than Ronaldo & Hazard

lionel-messi-marco-verratti-psg-paris-saint-germain-barcelona-champions-league-10122014_1ehnk27lmtlpg1cmwowyyvyl4n.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 17, 2015 23:12:10

The Italy international thinks the Argentine is the toughest opponent he has faced and says he would love to emulate Andrea Pirlo in his career

Paris Saint-Germain star Marco Verratti says Lionel Messi is the toughest player he has faced and the most captivating to watch, ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo and Eden Hazard.

The Ligue 1 champions have faced Barcelona three times in this season's Champions League alone, with Messi helping the Catalans to a 3-1 win at Parc des Princes on Wednesday.

Though he missed that match through suspension, Verratti is in no doubt that the Argentine is the best opponent he has ever faced, ahead of Real Madrid sensation Ronaldo and Chelsea favourite Hazard, formerly of Lille.

"Yes, the toughest and the most beautiful to watch," he told L'Equipe when asked if Messi was his sternest adversary.

"I have played against greats, like Ronaldo and Hazard. But I love watching Messi's touch of the ball, his style."

Verratti has regularly been earmarked as Italy's long-term successor to Juventus stalwart Andrea Pirlo and the 22-year-old says he would love to emulate the playmaker's career.

"Our style of play is still a bit different," he said when asked if he agreed with the comparisons.

"Pirlo has won everything: the World Cup, the Champions League... it's a great honour to be compared to him. I hope to have his career."

The former Pescara youngster also admits is habit of attempting to play out of danger has landed him in trouble with his team-mates in the past.

"There are times when it is worth taking risks," said Verratti. "That's my style of play. If you lose the ball in those few seconds, it's dangerous, but if you succeed you can damage your opponent.

"At the beginning, yes [they reproached me]. Thiago Silva, among others. But now they often tell me to keep doing it because it helps the defenders or attackers retrieve the ball."

Finally, Verratti said the backing from PSG's supporters has left him convinced he made the right decision to join the club in 2012 - but refuted the idea that he has already become 'the boss' of Laurent Blanc's midfield.

He continued: "In football today, there is no boss. Football has changed - you need a great team, not just one player. No one can make the difference alone.

"I didn't expect it here because there are great champions here and I'm abroad. When you hear your name like that, in the stadium, it makes you think you made the right choice to sign. The best way to thank the fans is to play as much as possible and stay as long as possible."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona v Paris Saint-Germain: Marquinhos keeps the faith ahead of Camp Nou test

19 April 2015

830492header.jpg

Marquinhos has urged his Paris Saint-Germain team-mates not to give up hope of overturning a two-goal deficit against Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday.

Laurent Blanc's side were put to the sword by a clinical Barca side in the first leg of their quarter-final last week - Luis Suarez scoring two of his side's three away goals.

Jeremy Mathieu's late own-goal offers PSG a glimmer of hope but the French champions look set to suffer a third consecutive last-eight exit, as they trail 3-1.

While Barca have lost just one of their last 31 Champions League matches at Camp Nou, Blanc will be boosted by the return of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Marco Verratti from suspensions.

Thiago Silva, Thiago Motta (both thigh) and David Luiz (hamstring) are doubtful but Marquinhos believes Saturday's 3-1 win over Nice stands PSG in good stead.

"This victory in Nice was the best possible preparation for Tuesday. It was a very average first half, but we were much better in the second half," he told reporters.

"This success is good, especially when it comes to regaining confidence after Wednesday's defeat against Barcelona.

"The return leg in the Camp Nou will be very intense and very difficult, but we will go there with the aim of qualifying, with our first intention being to defend well.

"I hope [Silva can play]. He said the injury to his left thigh was not too serious. Like David Luiz it is primarily due to the repetition of matches, which has been very heavy late in the season."

Barca remain in the hunt for the treble and head into the game on the back of a 2-0 win over Valencia on Saturday, which kept them two points clear of Real Madrid at the top of La Liga.

Lionel Messi scored his 400th competitive goal for the Catalan giants and Suarez was on target for the fifth time in his last four matches.

Andres Iniesta could return from a back injury when Luis Enrique's side attempt to finish off the job and reach the last four.

The Barca coach has made a great impact in his first season at the helm and the former Spain international hailed his players after their latest win.

"They were running low on fuel even before the game kicked off. Overall, it's been a great weekend," he explained.

"These players are winners. From the first day I saw that they want to win titles and work hard to do it.

"Now we have to make sure we recover well and see what we can do on Tuesday.

"I only talk about short-term results, that's all that interests us. There's not long to go before we can judge how the team’s season has been."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern Munich v Porto: Neuer rallies Germans for uphill battle

19 April 2015

830491header.jpg

Bayern Munich face a huge uphill struggle in their UEFA Champions League quarter-final as they chase Porto's two-goal lead, with Manuel Neuer calling the second leg the "biggest game" of their season.

Pep Guardiola's injury-hit Bayern struggled immensely in Portugal, falling 2-0 down within the first 10 minutes thanks to a Ricardo Quaresma double, and eventually lost 3-1.

The Bundesliga pacesetters are now facing the possibility of missing out on a fourth successive Champions League semi-final appearance and history will not provide much inspiration.

The Bavarian giants have chased a two-goal first-leg deficit four times in UEFA competition and lost every single tie.

"We know it's the biggest game of the season," Neuer said. "Every one of us will do everything we can to make it a good performance."

And Guardiola echoed his goalkeeper's sentiments, saying: "It's a final. We need a great performance.

"It'll be tough, but we'll give it a go. I have lots of faith in my players."

Despite a lengthy injury list – including the likes of Franck Ribery, David Alaba and Arjen Robben – Bayern warmed up for Tuesday's clash with a 2-0 triumph at Hoffenheim on Sunday, edging closer to a 25th Bundesliga title.

Bayern can take solace from their home form in this year's competition, emerging victorious in all four of their outings at the Allianz Arena and scoring 13 goals in the process.

Bastian Schweinsteiger may be able to feature, but Bayern's list of absentees still looks set to cause havoc with Guardiola's team selection.

Bayern will continue to be without Robben (abdominal muscle), Ribery (ankle), Tom Starke (ankle), Mehdi Benatia (thigh) and Javi Martinez (knee), while Jerome Boateng, Juan Bernat, Philipp Lahm and Neuer are just a booking away from a suspension.

Porto are under no illusions as to the pressure they are likely to come under in Munich, however, with Yacine Brahimi expecting Bayern to ask serious questions of Julen Lopetegui's defence regardless of their depleted numbers.

"It was an exceptional display [in Porto]," he said. "We couldn't have dreamed of a better result than 3-1, but we've still got an away game to play and it will be very, very difficult.

"Over there we need to play the way we did [in the first leg] – that is to play our game and play normally. We'll have to defend very well and be strong as a team."

Porto's chances of reaching a first Champions League semi since their triumphant 2003-04 campaign will not be helped by suspensions for full-backs Danilo and Alex Sandro, while Cristian Tello missed Saturday's 1-0 defeat of Academica with a thigh problem.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid: Ancelotti optimistic amid injury concerns

20 April 2015

831026header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti is optimistic over Real Madrid's chances against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday despite injury concerns over Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.

The city rivals go into the second leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final level after a goalless first leg at Vicente Calderon last week.

Modric (knee) and Bale (calf) look set to miss out on the Santiago Bernabeu clash as Real attempt to record a first win over Diego Simeone's side since last year's Champions League final.

The European champions are seeking to become the first side to retain the trophy in its current form and, despite question marks over the fitness of two key players as well as the suspension of full-back Marcelo, Ancelotti is confident his side can progress.

"There was a drop in February due to some injuries but now we have returned to our level," the Italian told Radio anch'io sport.

"We hope to be competitive until the end of the Champions League. For the game against Atletico we are not worried, we have to find solutions to some absences.

"It is a great challenge but we will face it at home with great optimism. The Bernabeu will give us a good boost."

Simeone's men may have fallen short of the domestic form they showed in winning La Liga last term but remain formidable opposition in Europe - especially for fellow Spanish sides.

The defeat to Real in Lisbon is Atletico's only defeat in their last 10 European matches against Spanish rivals and, in Antoine Griezmann, they have one of Europe's most in-form strikers.

The France international has six goals in his last five games and Raul Garcia - a possible replacement for suspended midfielder Mario Suarez - says Griezmann's form can help see Atleti through.

"Griezmann’s goals are very important, as they have been through the whole season," Garcia told AS.

"All players, when they play, give their all, and he is adding a lot and doing what is needed.

"For us to reach the semi-final again would be immense. We must forget previous games against them. It helps to know that we have done well [at Santiago Bernabeu] but we can't think of that because that would harm us.

"We're not reliving the past. It’s clear we would have liked to win [the Champions League final last year] but this is another game, another season and we only think about that.

"The team is at an exceptional level and we're going there with a positive mindset."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monaco v Juventus: Evra ready to take control

20 April 2015

831111header.jpg

Patrice Evra has urged Juventus not to sit back on their first leg lead and take control of Wednesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie against Monaco.

The Italian champions travel to the Stade Louis II with a 1-0 lead from last week's first leg in Turin - Arturo Vidal's penalty settling a hard-fought match.

With the slender advantage, Massimiliano Allegri's side are favourites to progress to the semi-finals.

But Evra, who spent four years at Monaco between 2002 and 2006, stated that there is plenty of work to do and pointed to Monaco's spirited performance in the first leg as proof Juve cannot rest on their laurels.

"I was not surprised by Monaco in the first leg," he told Canal Plus. "They have not at all been underestimated.

"They gave a very good game. Against them [in the first leg] we were favourites. I think a lot of players felt that pressure.

"In the return leg, it will be different and we can take control of the game."

Monaco upset the odds to reach the last eight by beating Arsenal on away goals and Evra and believes they can pose a challenge for any side.

"When they won against Arsenal I was really proud of the team," he added. "They were fearless."

Juve, who defeated Monaco 6-4 on aggregate to reach the 1997-1998 Champions League final, make the trip boosted by a 2-0 victory over Lazio in Saturday's top-of-the-table clash in Serie A.

That result that left them 15 points clear at the summit in their march towards a fourth consecutive title.

By contrast, Leonardo Jardim's side have stuttered in recent weeks and a 1-1 draw against Rennes on Saturday made it three league matches without a win on home turf.

Third-placed Monaco are four points clear of Marseille and Saint-Etienne, while Lyon and Paris Saint-Germain are six points better off than the Principality club - with the champions also having a game in hand.

Head coach Jardim has stressed the importance of cutting out the errors against Juve.

"We lacked intensity at the end of the match [against Rennes]," he told reporters. "We started to feel fatigued. We'll recover and correct the small things for the match against Juventus."

Vidal will be assessed ahead of the game after missing training on Monday due to tonsillitis. Paul Pogba [hamstring] is unlikely to feature, while Juve team-mates Kwadwo Asamoah [knee], Martin Caceres [ankle], Luca Marrone [thigh] and Romulo [groin] are also absent.

Monaco are without Lacina Traore [leg], while Tiemoue Bakayoko [thigh] is a doubt.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba, Neuer and the players one yellow card away from Champions League suspension

paulpogba-cropped_1a8mdnyqss8zc1mxifes3m4u5i.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Apr 20, 2015 09:00:00

The contest is heating up and some coaches will be desperate to ensure certain players keep a cool head so they can play in the semi-finals

With the semi-finals just one game away, the Champions League is becoming increasingly intense and difficult.

As the competitiveness of the tournament steps up a notch, coaches will be increasingly anxious that their players remain disciplined and minimise the risk of being suspended.

Heading into this week’s quarter-final second-legs, though, there are several players running the risk of missing their side’s first match in the next phase, should they make it.

All bookings expire after the second leg of the quarters, so those who avoid a caution this week will not incur a suspension if they receive a card in the first leg of the semi-finals.

Luis Enrique is the only coach in the last eight who has no immediate fears over players missing the next game through suspension as there are no Barcelona players who will miss their likely semi-final first leg if they receive a caution.

While Paris Saint-Germain are boosted by the return of Marco Verratti and Zlatan Ibrahimovic from suspension, Laurent Blanc will concerned about Blaise Matuidi and Gregory van der Wiel must avoid picking up another booking or face a one-match ban.

philipp-lahm-fc-bayern-04042015_gmq5e0la94sa1ti8n1besccpa.jpg

Lahm | Pep Guardiola will be praying that the right back does not get suspended

Pep Guardiola will be calling for a spirited and determined performance from his Bayern Munich team as they look to claw their way back from a 3-1 first-leg defeat against Porto. However, with his team affected by several injuries already, the coach will be anxious to ensure Jerome Boateng, Juan Bernat, Philipp Lahm and Manuel Neuer do not do anything reckless.

Casemiro, Maicon and Oliver Torres are three key players for Porto, meaning they cannot afford to receive a yellow card against the German side which would see them suspended for one Champions League match.

If Real Madrid’s injuries to Luka Modric and Gareth Bale were not reason to worry enough, Carlo Ancelotti will be desperate to see Fabio Coentrao and Toni Kroos avoid being booked in their game against Atletico Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Atleti boss Diego Simeone will be warning Cristian Ansaldi, Gabi, Jesus Gamez and Fernando Torres to keep cool heads on Wednesday as they are all a booking away from a ban.

Monaco’s Carvalho, Yannick Ferreira-Carrasco, Joao Moutinho and Kurzawa will all incur a suspension with their next bookings, as will Juventus players Stephan Lichtsteiner, Alvaro Morata, Paul Pogba, Roberto Pereyra and Arturo Vidal.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger set to face Porto, Ribery to miss out

20 April 2015

bastian-schweinsteiger-bayern-munich-german-bundesliga-02032015_thj1o1bf6n2j155ubib6oz7py.jpg

Bayern Munich should have Bastian Schweinsteiger available for Tuesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg with Porto, but the news on Franck Ribery is less positive.

The influential duo missed the 3-1 defeat in last week's first leg, Schweinsteiger struggling with a virus while Ribery was sidelined due to an ankle problem.

Neither man featured in the 2-0 win at Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga on Saturday, but Pep Guardiola will at least be able to call on Schweinsteiger when Bayern attempt to overturn their deficit at the Allianz Arena.

"Bastian Schweinsteiger can train with the team again today. That's good news for us," the coach said on Monday.

"I don't think that Franck can play."

Bayern contributed to their own downfall in the first leg in Portugal, as three defensive slips directly led to all of Porto's goals.

But Guardiola is confident his players can put that performance behind them and reach the semi-finals of the competition for the fourth season in succession.

"There's not much point in turning up if we don't want to turn the game around. We want to progress!" he said.

"We will have to be fully committed on Tuesday. We need to put up a fight, then we can progress.

"In 90 minutes everything is possible. Of course we're behind but tomorrow is about performing on the pitch.

"After the last few months of work I can promise you we will give it a go. We have one more step to defend our Bundesliga title, tomorrow we're one step away from a Champions League semi-final.

"I am completely convinced that my players will take their chances tomorrow, and for me as the manager, that is enough.

"My players are my heroes and they will stay in my heart for the rest of my life."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale remains a doubt for Atletico clash

20 April 2015

831005header.jpg

Gareth Bale remains a doubt for Real Madrid's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg against city rivals Atletico due to a calf injury.

The Wales international limped off five minutes into his team's La Liga meeting with Malaga on Saturday, with the reigning European champions going on to win 3-1.

Real and Atleti are tied at 0-0 heading into their second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday, but Bale's involvement hangs in the balance.

A club statement on Monday read: "Following tests carried out on Gareth Bale at the Sanitas La Moraleja Hospital by the Real Madrid Medical Services, he has been diagnosed with a muscle injury in his left soleus.

"His progress will be monitored."