• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2016-17 ☆

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte: Chelsea still scarred from last season

mourinhoconte-cropped_tt4r8jex8ypt1b4p008woyy58.jpg

Sacha Pisani
Oct 22, 2016 01:19:07

The Blues' players lost confidence last term, according to the Italian, who has said that is why this campaign is so important to them

As Chelsea prepare to welcome former boss Jose Mourinho back to Stamford Bridge, manager Antonio Conte said the London club remain scarred from last season's failed title defence.

Chelsea coasted to Premier League glory under the guidance of Mourinho in 2014-15 but things quickly turned sour the following campaign as the team flirted with relegation before the Portuguese manager departed in December last year.

The Londoners went on to finish 10th, ultimately missing out on European qualification, something that still haunts Chelsea, according to Conte ahead of Manchester United's visit on Sunday.

"When there are these types of season – very bad seasons, because we finished 10th in the table – it's normal that something remains in the players," said Conte.

"In their minds. In their heads. In this situation, the risk is to lose the confidence. For this reason, I continue to repeat: this new season for Chelsea is very important.

"Also, it's very difficult because you must change what happened last season, and that's not easy. The only way we have to change is to work, to work very hard, together with the players, the club and the fans. It won't be easy to cancel a bad season like last season."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Giggs: Manchester United decline was not inevitable

moyesgiggs-cropped_1526mr5o94iac1jq7etzpqep7p.jpg

Sacha Pisani
Oct 22, 2016 00:45:45

The Welshman thought in 2013 that there was "no chance" a day would come when the Red Devils would not challenge for silverware

Manchester United great Ryan Giggs does not believe the club's post-Alex Ferguson decline was inevitable, instead claiming their recruitment was not good enough under successor David Moyes.

United have gone three seasons without Premier League silverware since the Scot guided the club to their 20th title in 2012-13 - his final term at Old Trafford.

Moyes and Louis van Gaal have come and gone in Manchester, and Jose Mourinho is now tasked with getting them back on track as Manchester City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea continue to challenge for top honours.

However, former assistant boss Giggs - who left the club after losing out to Mourinho for the manager role - feels it all went wrong after Moyes replaced Ferguson in May 2013.

Giggs felt the transfers, or lack thereof, in that first close-season left United in a bad position, highlighting the move for Marouane Fellaini as a panic buy.

"If you had asked me back in May 2013, having swept to our 13th Premier League title under Sir Alex with four games to spare, whether I could ever see a day when United would not at least be challenging for the title, I would have said there was no chance," Giggs wrote in his column for the Telegraph.

"Our strength as a team was too well-established. Financially, the club was huge. The stadium is the biggest club ground in the country.

"All the things that, for example, Liverpool had failed to do in order to ensure their long-lasting success after the 1970s and 1980s, United had done. Yet it is already three years since United's last title.

"Sir Alex also went three seasons without winning a league title but there was a plan and he came back with three in a row between 2006 and 2009. That is the challenge for Jose Mourinho, to put the club back up on top of the English game but there are no certainties about the future for United as there once were.

"I don't believe that the decline, post-Sir Alex was inevitable. We won the Premier League by 11 points. There were so many winners in that team, so many great characters. Yes, the likes of myself, Rio, Nemanja Vidic, even Patrice Evra were coming to the end of our careers – although Patrice is still playing. But with the right recruitment we would have been gently phased out and replaced by young, hungry players with United's winning mentality.

"Instead, the recruitment in that first summer under David Moyes didn't go to plan. I don't blame David. He came in without any of the inside knowledge about how the squad worked: when certain players needed resting, who was right for which game, who needed to be moved on and who needed to be encouraged. Those of us who had lived through it could help him a bit, but a manager has to acquire that knowledge over time.

"Signing Marouane Fellaini so close to the deadline that August, the club's only major deal in a summer when we needed two or three big names, suggested that things were not running smoothly. United had signed players late in the window before – Dimitar Berbatov in 2008 springs to mind – but this time was different. This time it was more of a panic.

"Sir Alex might not necessarily have had a first-choice XI but he knew exactly what side was needed for each game, and would have that planned weeks ahead. David did not have that information. He started with a blank sheet of paper and for most of the first season we were chasing our best XI, or the right team for the game in question."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea must not be distracted by Mourinho return, warns Conte

chelsea-supporters-back-jose-mourinho_k198l7gcf55o1q2370t1toyu8.jpg

Nizaar Kinsella
Oct 21, 2016 22:31:18

The infamous ex-Blues manager returns to his old ground in the Premier League on Sunday, but the former Italy head coach doesn’t want it to become a distraction for his players

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has warned his players not to be distracted by the return of Jose Mourinho to Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

The Blues take on Manchester United in the Premier League in the first meeting with their former boss since his departure from west London last December.

Conte believes Mourinho is deserving of a warm reception from the club's supporters but wants his players to focus on the prize of victory once the first whistle is blown.

"We have a tough game against a strong team in Manchester United," Conte told reporters. "It is not against Jose Mourinho. It is important, I repeat, to focus on the pitch, on the players of Manchester United, and to prepare in the right way.

"It is normal in this situation, when a coach or manager comes back to a club where he has done a lot of positive things, it is normal to talk about him. But it is important for us to focus and concentrate on the game.

“It is right for him to have a good reception. Then when the whistle sounds, it’s important to start and play, to see United as an enemy, an opponent.”

Mourinho left Chelsea seven months after winning the Premier League title with the club languishing only one point above the relegation zone.

Many of the players who helped him to win the 2014-15 championship remain at the club but Conte says he has not spoken to them about his opposite number.

"I must be honest, I didn't talk," he said. "I didn’t talk to my players about Jose Mourinho because I think this topic isn’t an important topic because he comes back a coach who won three titles with Chelsea and won with many players who are still here.

"But, for us, what is important is Manchester United and playing against a team, not just Jose Mourinho. For this reason, I didn’t speak to them about Jose Mourinho."

Mourinho brought Chelsea their first title in 50 years when he was hired by Roman Abramovich in 2004. The Russian owner will celebrate his 50th birthday on Monday and Conte admitted that it would be nice to give him the gift of victory.

“I hope [so]," he added. "I think he deserves this for his commitment in Chelsea. The players want to give him this gift."

He joked: "Also, it is right to ask Manchester United [to give him the win], also."

Guardiola

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: I don't want Man City to play like Barca

pep-guardiola-manchester-city-phone_1sofxajkwtlmx1ofcm8hrybisw.jpg

Sam Lee
Oct 21, 2016 22:31:11

The Catalan has moved to realign expectations of his time at the Etihad Stadium, insisting he is only trying to concentrate on one club and his own group of players

Pep Guardiola says he is not trying to turn Manchester City into Barcelona or change English football.

The Catalan gave an entertaining press conference on Friday when he denied any problems with Sergio Aguero and Vincent Kompany, and pointed to his record of success as he insisted he will never change his philosophy.

And he also moved to temper English football's expectations of his time at the Etihad Stadium and tried to clear up what he hopes to achieve.

"I don't want to play like Barcelona,"he said. "Barcelona play in that way depending on the players they have, especially one.

"I hear many times people say that Pep is coming here to change English football. I said at the beginning to forget about it because I am not coming here to change absolutely anything.

"I want to learn and I will try to change one way to play for my players. I will try to convince them they can have fun and play good and win as many games as possible and fight for titles. That is my only target, with the players that we are working with every single day, that is why I am trying.

"That is why Manchester City called me, to try to play in the way I believe with the players that I have.

"Of course I'm not going to play long balls when the tallest striker I have is short but of course i'm going to use Aguero, who has the quality to score goals in the right moment.

"We're going to play the way we play with our quality and we did it many times. I'm still really impressed with how quickly we played good, many times to win the game with personality in the short time.

"But to achieve what [Barcelona] achieve, we need decades. [Johna] Cruyff started when he arrived in 1989/90, so that's 25, 26 years.

"I am ambitious but not to change what is impossible to change in the short time. It's impossible."

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I was sacked by Chelsea, it was not mutual consent

mourinho-cropped_1fujb448anxsn1twdffpf70cxs.jpg

Jon Fisher
Oct 21, 2016 17:21:13

The Portuguese boss has confirmed he was sacked by the Blues in December 2015, despite the club insisting he left by mutual consent

Jose Mourinho bears no grudges to anyone at Chelsea despite confirming he was sacked in December 2015 and did not leave by mutual consent.

Mourinho was shown the door seven months after leading the west London club to the title, after Chelsea opened their defence at the start of the 2015-16 season with nine defeats in their first 16 games.

At the time the club statement claimed the Portuguese had left by mutual consent but Mourinho, who returns to Stamford Bridge for the first time since with Manchester United on Sunday, was adamant he was dismissed by owner Roman Abramovich.

"Mr Abramovich decided to sack me," He told Sky Sports. "It was not mutual consent. But I left without a bad word about anything or anyone at the club.

"That was in my first period at Chelsea when I agreed it was time to change.

"I was keen to change, more than ready to go to other countries but this time it was not like that.

"It was a decision by the owner and I was informed of that decision. I accepted it in a polite way and we signed the papers. I did it in a calm, respectful way."

Mourinho continued to live in London before he was named United boss in May.

"I waited for what I preferred, which was to stay in England, in the Premier League and I was lucky to have a big club like Manchester United," he added.

"It took a couple of days [to get over it] and then it was finished and I started my life in a common way.

"I was still in London, I kept a house there, I was walking in the street, going to the gym, watching football..."

Mourinho, who guided Chelsea to two Premier League titles in his first spell in charge, believes the sack is a part of modern management.

"It's not nice for me or anyone but that's life, I took it in a positive way," he said.

"To be sacked is [part of] football, many of the best managers in the history of football have had their moment to be sacked.

"Of course there are exceptions but normally, and especially in modern football, you are in a position where it can happen to anyone.

"If it was a club where I gave nothing it would be more difficult. When I leave the club that in two different periods I gave titles and, to the fans, some of the best moments that a club's supporters can have, then I leave with a feeling of 'I did my job'."

Mourinho claimed the fans wanted him to stay before the axe fell.

"I don't think they wanted it but, even if they did, they cannot remove me from Chelsea history," he said.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Abramovich and I were not friends at Chelsea

jose-mourinho-roman-abramovich_3k2aa48jji0k103ld1gpddj4l.jpg

Jon Fisher
Oct 21, 2016 18:18:04

The Manchester United boss says he was never close to the billionaire but insists he had plenty of respect for the Russian during his time with the Blues

Jose Mourinho has the utmost respect for Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich but insists they were not friends during his two stints as manager at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho takes his Manchester United side to London on Sunday, his first return to Stamford Bridge after being sacked by Abramovich in December 2015, just seven months after leading the club to the Premier League title.

It was the second time he had left Chelsea after a three-year spell came to an abrupt end in 2007 with reports suggesting it was the result of a falling out with the club's billionaire owner.

The Portuguese was eager to stress he held Abramovich in high regard but refused the offer to call him a friend.

He told Sky Sports: "No, but we always had that kind of relationship. He was the owner and I respected him like that. I was the coach and I was respected like that.

"We were never close friends.

"If I went to his house it was for a professional meeting. We never shared anything personal. We were not friends, maybe because I was respectful for the position of the owner. Maybe because I showed him respect I didn't have problems but we were not close."

Asked what he would do if he bumped into the Russian at Stamford Bridge, he added: "I will shake his hand, I will ask if his kids are fine.

"I know some of them and I like them, they are very polite, respectful and humble. If I have that chance it will be normal."

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I don't care what sort of welcome Chelsea give me

hd-jose-mourinho-man-utd_8eqt9cxd8ek813536alia83q7.jpg

Kris Voakes
Oct 21, 2016 22:30:01

The former Blues boss returns to Stamford Bridge with Manchester United on Sunday but he insists that he will put his reception by his old team's fans out of his mind

COMMENT

Jose Mourinho says that the special memories that he has of his time at Chelsea will not stop him doing his job on Sunday, when he takes his Manchester United side to Stamford Bridge for the first time.

Mourinho is the London club's most successful manager of all time, winning three Premier League titles over two spells in charge, and retains a good relationship with the Chelsea fans.

But while he admits that he is unsure what kind of reception he will get from the Blues' faithful, his main concern is to get the job done for United.

"To say I care is not true because, to be honest, when I go to a football match, I do not focus on that. I focus on the game, I try to prepare myself for matches, so I cannot say that I care," he told reporters.

"What can I expect? I don't know. They can think about me and remember our great relationship and have a good reaction. They can look at me and say 'for 90 minutes he is Man Utd manager and he's playing against us so he is not somebody we like in this moment'."

Mourinho, who was sacked by Chelsea in December 2015 after a calamitous start to the season which left the club hovering above the relegation places, insists that he will not be drawn into a war of words following the disappointing end to his second spell.

"Some managers, when they leave clubs, they like to wash their dirty clothes, which means they'd speak about what happened. They go back and speak and speak and speak," he continued.

"I'm not that. I leave the clubs and I leave with a very good feeling, a feeling of I did everything to succeed, I gave everything to the club and I don't like to go back and speak - especially about the bad things.

"I keep the good things - and, at Chelsea, I had so many good things, so many good things in terms of results, so many good things in friends that I have for life, an amazing empathy with the supporters.

"The supporters didn't change their relationship with me because of last season - it was a couple of months of results - so I keep all these good memories and there are things that I don't forget which I keep; I keep them for myself."

But the Portuguese added that he and his United side must overlook the links that he has to Chelsea when Sunday afternoon comes around, just as he did when leading Inter to a 1-0 victory at Stamford Bridge in 2010.

"We have to try to forget it," Mourinho declared. "We have to try to do the job. I played there with Inter and I tried to do my job.

"If you ask me, if my team score a goal, am I going to celebrate like a crazy kid? No. I think I can control emotionally that situation. Am I going to have any negative reaction if the crowd have something negative with me? No. I think, again, I have maturity enough to control that emotion and I have lots of respect.

"But what Man Utd fans can expect from me is in this moment more important and what Man Utd fans can expect from me is to play against Chelsea the same way I play against Fenerbahce, I play against Liverpool, I play against anyone because it's my job."

United head into the fixture in seventh place in the Premier League table, two points and two places behind Antonio Conte's Chelsea.

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea will never play for a draw under my management, says Conte

antonio-conte-and-diego-costa_16drr7zbr3uhp1le6fprs83g3e.jpg

Nizaar Kinsella
Oct 21, 2016 22:30:49

The Blues boss insists that he only plays to win following Manchester United's goalless draw at Anfield and also says it is important to play with good football and passion

Antonio Conte has admitted that he is uncomfortable with sending his team out just to get a draw after Jose Mourinho attracted criticism for Manchester United's defensive display against Liverpool on Monday.

Chelsea will welcome Mourinho back to Stamford Bridge on Sunday as he returns with United for the first time after being sacked by the Blues last December.

Although Conte was not referencing Mourinho side's defensive display in Liverpool directly, he was firm in saying that he would be uncomfortable in setting his team out to achieve anything other than all three points.

“No, I think it is always right to play for a win,” Conte told a press conference at Cobham Training Centre. “I try to transfer these thoughts to my players always. If you play at home or away, it must be the same.

"You must start the game with only one target: to win. Not to play for a draw. I don’t like this. It is not football. I don’t like this.”

United lined up in a very defensive shape against Liverpool and set a record for their lowest possession in a game during the Premier League era with just 35% over the 90 minutes.

Chelsea's problems this season have stemmed from being defensively fragile, but Conte admits that he prefers to play in the right style than win at all costs.

“I think it is important to win, but for me also, it is important to win in the right way. Because, sometimes, it happened to me. I won in the past with other clubs, but I wasn’t satisfied with the performance," he added.

“When you win is important, but it is important to also play good football, to play with a good intensity, to show always the will to win, the passion. For me, that’s important.”

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte: No European football is not an advantage for Chelsea

antonio-conte-chelsea-2016_126vqea5lzc7y1wujb1wvpcqhp.jpg

Ryan Benson
Oct 21, 2016 17:59:42

The Italian has dismissed suggestions his side have been helped by a lack of midweek action ahead of their clash with Jose Mourinho's men at Stamford Bridge

Antonio Conte says Chelsea not playing European football in midweek is not an advantage ahead of their Sunday showdown with Manchester United.

Jose Mourinho makes his return to Stamford Bridge on the back of a 4-1 win over Fenerbahce in the Europa League on Thursday, potentially resulting in some of his players suffering fatigue.

Chelsea, who finished 10th in the Premier League last season, failed to qualify for Europe and it was suggested to Conte that would be an advantage, but the Italian begged to differ.

"But Manchester United played yesterday and I watched the game," he said to reporters. "I saw maybe four players who will probably start on Sunday.

"Also, when you have this possibility to play Champions League or Europa League, you can give the chance also to other players who every day in training work very hard.

"I don't want this type of advantage. This means you don't play in the Champions League or Europa League. I think Chelsea must play during the week this type of tournament.

"Chelsea, this season, can't do this. This is not an advantage."

After back-to-back league defeats to Liverpool and Arsenal, Chelsea go into Sunday's clash having won against Hull City and Leicester City in their last two outings and Conte highlighted the importance of continuing that progress when United visit.

"It's important – very important," he added. "It's important to continue this way. The last game we beat a good team who, last season, won the title.

"This was important. But this Sunday we are up against another great team.

"I want to see progress compared to Liverpool and Arsenal. I am confident about this because I saw fantastic commitment this week."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern chief Rummenigge accuses English clubs of 'kidnapping' young talent

karl-heinz-rummenigge-fc-bayern-16072016_1tg88qgwt02fm1w55kork9c1g4.jpg

Oct 21, 2016 15:26:20

The Bundesliga club's chairman believes the Premier League policy of signing players at 10 years of age is morally wrong and says his side will never indulge in such practices

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has accused English clubs of practically ‘kidnapping’ young talent by acquiring players at just 10 years of age.

With the rewards in modern football so great, the clamour to find potential stars of tomorrow has intensified year on year.

Where youth systems would once be filled by hopefuls spotted in the local area, academies at the very top of the football pyramid are now graced by players plucked from every corner of the globe.

The Premier League has led the way when it comes to cherry picking the cream of the crop, but a route to the first team has not always been left ajar for graduates looking to make their mark at the highest level.

Rummenigge believes this is proof of a flawed approach, with Bayern steadfastly refusing to adopt a similar recruitment policy.

He told the Bavarian club’s official magazine: "We don't want to sign 10 or 11 year olds like the Englishman. There you can nearly talk about kidnapping. I would have moral doubts."

Instead, Rummenigge insists that Bayern will stick to the principals that have served them well over many years, with there a desire on their part to only take players once they reach the age of 14 and to focus all of their energy on ensuring that as many home-grown products come through the ranks as possible.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Has Ferguson ruled Chelsea OUT of the title race?

hd-sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united_ijc6cs8enyvd1cst0ab33d4aw.jpg

Oct 27, 2016 13:38:19

The ex-Man Utd boss believes five teams can succeed Leicester City as champions this season but failed to mention the Blues as contenders

Sir Alex Ferguson was involved in his fair share of title races during his illustrious managerial career, and it seems he has ruled one massive club out of this year's battle for the Premier League trophy.

During a conversation with Kicker, the former Manchester United manager was quick to defend the Red Devils despite Jose Mourinho's side falling six points off the pace in the early weeks of the season.

And the Scot believes they are one of five contenders for the title along with rivals Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham.

But he seemed to dismiss the chances of Chelsea, despite Antonio Conte's side sitting fourth and one point behind leaders City having thrashed United 4-0 last time out.

"It’s harder to predict than it was for many years,” he said.

"I think there are five potential candidates: Manchester City as favourites, Tottenham and Liverpool, but also Man United are still there if we get some consistency soon.

"Even when you are trailing by six, eight points, it’s still possible to catch one or two teams. The rivalry and the experience of Guardiola and Mourinho makes for an exciting competition, and you shouldn’t forget Arsenal.”

Not so sure that will go down too well at Stamford Bridge...

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger and FA Cup left out of Man Utd team photo

manchester-united-fa-cup-champions_jbu2enonp7ye1drm91x1nvgi5.jpg

Oct 27, 2016 15:56:49

The Red Devils, still basking in their EFL Cup win over Manchester City, have left their German midfielder and major silverware out of group shot

Manchester United taking the opportunity to remind their ‘noisy neighbours’ of Wednesday night’s result in an EFL Cup derby clash can be considered no surprise, but their choice of photo has thrown up some intriguing questions.

On the back of a 2-1 victory in midweek, the Old Trafford outfit have taken to social media in an effort to make everyone aware of the glow their city has taken on.

To complement the post, the Red Devils have thrown in an image from the club’s official squad photo shoot.

Nothing too out of the ordinary there, you might think, but on closer inspection there are a few notable omissions from the picture.

For one, a major piece of silverware that United got their hands on again back in May is nowhere to be seen, with the Community Shield taking centre stage in the rather baffling absence of the FA Cup.

A certain German midfielder is also missing, but that may not be quite such a surprise.

Bastian Schweinsteiger was made painfully aware that he had no part to play in Jose Mourinho’s long-term plans shortly after the Portuguese was handed the managerial reins, and it appears that there will be no thawing of that frosty relationship.

Everyone else appears to be present and correct, though, including Juan Mata, the man who has made Manchester red again.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Ibrahimovic won't improve & he's not world class anymore!'

zlatan-ibrahimovic-manchester-united-2016_12ax7yxsard2o1bq9sxec5f0ar.jpg

Stephen Darwin
Oct 27, 2016 18:11:40

Former Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson believes the Manchester United striker is not the player he was and does not think he will get better over the 2016-17 season

Paul Merson has written off Zlatan Ibrahimovic's hopes of improving his fortunes over the 2016-17 season and insists that he is not a world-class player anymore.

It's been four games since the Swede last found the back of the net, with the 35-year-old again failing to score again in Wednesday's EFL Cup win over Manchester City.

And Merson has concluded that Ibrahimovic is not in the world-class bracket anymore and that, while he may find the target against Burnley on Saturday, he won't vastly improve over the current campaign.

He told Sky Sports: "Zlatan Ibrahimovic was a world-class striker but he's not anymore. He is 35 and playing in the hardest league in the world so as the season goes on, I can't see him getting better.

"Jose Mourinho will obviously stick with him despite his recent struggles and he should get a few opportunities against Burnley, who haven't looked up to scratch away from Turf Moor."

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

'I've never had phenomenal fans like Man Utd' - Mourinho in sly dig at Chelsea fans?

jose-mourinho-manchester-united_6qblmgu0kfb0ziaqs7ht9jdf.jpg

Gill Clark
Oct 27, 2016 15:07:48

The Portuguese took time out to praise the Old Trafford support on Wednesday night, insisting he has never encountered such phenomenal spirit so far in his career

Jose Mourinho appears to have aimed a sly dig at Chelsea fans following Manchester United’s 1-0 win over Manchester City in the fourth round of the EFL Cup.

The Red Devils booked their spot in the quarter-finals of the competition with a 1-0 win at Old Trafford, courtesy of Juan Mata’s second-half strike.

The result was a huge boost for Mourinho’s men who had been thrashed 4-0 by Chelsea on Sunday at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League.

Speaking after the game, Mourinho praised United’s fans, insisting the strength of their support is something he has never experienced in his career thus far.

“The spirit of the supporters is phenomenal here, I never had people like these ones,” he told Sky Sports.

“The love the people have for the club is bigger than bad results and bigger than three bad seasons.”

United return to Premier League action on Saturday as they welcome Burnley to Old Trafford. The Clarets are yet to pick up a single point away home in the league this season.

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho can match Guardiola, insists Sir Alex Ferguson

hd-jose-mourinho-pep-guardiola_2kerynzz9o971annss32gp5nz.jpg

Chris Myson
Oct 27, 2016 15:29:47

The Scot also says City have a big job to qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League and feels they missed a big opportunity to beat Barcelona

Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho can rival Pep Guardiola, even though he rates Manchester City as Premier League title favourites.

United defeated rivals City 1-0 in the EFL Cup on Wednesday, although they already trail their rivals by six points in the Premier League and lost at home to them in the top-flight last month.

Former Old Trafford boss Ferguson, who has said he rates City "as favourites from five potential candidates" in the title race, believes Guardiola cannot be questioned despite his side's six-match winless run.

But he is confident Mourinho has the skillset to challenge the Catalan throughout his spell in England, despite making a mixed start to his United career having been sacked by Chelsea last season.

"Guardiola's skills are beyond debate, [Antonio] Conte is getting Chelsea on track, but Mourinho can also rival Guardiola," Ferguson said to Kicker.

"He has won the Champions League with two different clubs and titles in three different countries.

"The rivalry and the experience of Guardiola and Mourinho make for an exciting competition."

Even though he admires the City manager, Ferguson feels United's rivals performed very poorly in their 4-0 Champions League defeat to Barcelona and thinks Guardiola missed a great opportunity to defeat his former club.

The United legend warned City they are far from certain of making the knockout stages following the defeat.

Ferguson said: "I was a bit disappointed with Manchester City because Barcelona were not overwhelming in their 4-0 win.

"Sure, whenever Lionel Messi sees a chance he converts it, but the overall system of play wasn't outstanding. City missed a good opportunity there.

"Because Monchengladbach, even without several starters, put in a convincing performance at Celtic and got a victory they really deserved.

"City still have a big job to reach the knockout stages."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp has revived Liverpool's enthusiasm, says Sir Alex Ferguson

hd-jurgen-klopp_10wm4iktwa6rq1as6hkd55134b.jpg

Chris Myson
Oct 27, 2016 14:20:17

The Scot has been impressed by the German who he feels has done a great job on Merseyside and says it is absolutely vital big clubs have managers with strong personalities

Sir Alex Ferguson says Jurgen Klopp has made Liverpool into strong Premier League title contenders since arriving at Anfield.

The former Manchester United manager has been hugely impressed by Klopp, whose side sit level on points with leaders Manchester City after nine games in his first full season at the helm.

Sir Alex, who has previously praised the ex-Borussia Dortmund boss, thinks there are five teams in with a chance of the title, but makes City favourites and Liverpool major rivals.

"He has done a really good job and revived Liverpool's enthusiasm," the Old Trafford icon said to Kicker about Klopp.

"It can happen that big clubs lose it. For two decades, Liverpool changed managers without building their own identity.

"You can now well and truly sense that you have to count them in this year. You can see Klopp's dedication on the sideline - I'm convinced his work in training is similar.

"He's a strong personality. That's absolutely vital at a big club."

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ex-chairman Riva 'fully refutes' wrongdoing at Watford

watford-cropped_64ja105j4ngr12qkcsqey74g9.jpg

Jack Davies
Nov 2, 2016 18:55:17

The Italian announced he will stand down as Watford chairman but has insisted he has done nothing wrong during his time in charge of the Pozzo-owned club

Watford chairman Raffaele Riva announced stand down from his position "to focus on other business interests", while he promises to "fully refute" any claims of falsehood during his reign.

The news comes after the English Football League (EFL) last month announced it would look into claims made by the Daily Telegraph that the club allegedly forged a document relating to Gino Pozzo's purchase of Watford in 2014.

Watford have also launched their own investigation into the incident and Riva, who denies any wrongdoing, has now decided to relinquish his duties, with CEO Scott Duxbury confirmed as his successor.

"I have decided to step down as chairman of Watford FC in order to focus on my other business interests," Riva said in a statement.

"For the past four years I have acted with honesty and in good faith in all my dealings on behalf of the club, and the club has developed and grown a great deal in this period.

"I fully refute, and will protect vigorously my integrity against, any recent speculation.

"It will always be a source of great pride and honour to have been chairman during a period that has overseen such growth.

"Watford has done exceptionally well in the current season and I wish the club and its wonderful supporters nothing but future success."

Ozil in the form of his life - and Arsenal must break the bank to keep him

The first stage of Watford's investigation was completed on Wednesday, with a seperate club statement reading: "Today the preliminary investigation from a firm of solicitors into that matter was completed and the findings will be sent to the EFL.

"We can assure every supporter the club acted with honesty, integrity and in good faith at every step and is not guilty of any wrongdoing and we are sure this will ultimately be recognised."

EFL rules from 2014 indicate punishment for the alleged offence could range from a formal warning to expulsion from competitions.

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho handed one-match touchline ban & fined by FA

jose-mourinho_11et3yz51hyovzeuuk7n4m9c7.jpg

Nov 2, 2016 18:13:51

The Portuguese was again found to have fallen afoul of English football's governing body for his comments when Manchester United faced Liverpool in October

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has been handed a one-match touchline ban and fined £50,000 by the Football Association for two separate incidents involving referees.

The first charge refers to Mourinho's disparaging comments regarding the assignment of referee Anthony Taylor to officiate the team's 0-0 draw against Liverpool in October.

He had remarked that Manchester-based Taylor would find it "difficult" to referee the game, adding that assigning Taylor to the game had "put pressure" on the official.

The Portuguese then fell afoul of English football's governing body after he was sent off in United's recent clash with Burnley, during which he had verbally abused referee Mark Clattenberg.

Mourinho had not appealed the incident in which he was sent to the stands for protesting Clattenberg's refusal to award his side a penalty for a trip on Matteo Darmian in the box.

And the FA have now published their punishment, ruling that the manager will not be able to lead United against Swansea City at the weekend.

"An Independent Regulatory Commission heard that Mourinho accepted the comments he made on 14 October 2016 constituted improper conduct but denied they brought the game into disrepute, in contravention of Rule E3(1)," a statement on the FA's website stated.

Mourinho must do more to get the best out of Ibrahimovic

"The Commission found the disrepute element of the charge proven and as well as being fined, Mourinho was warned as to his future conduct.

"Separate to this, Mourinho will serve an immediate one-match touchline ban after he admitted using abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official and accepted the standard penalty."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Klopp an inspiration for me' - Schmidt admits he could join Liverpool boss in Premier League

rogerschmidt-cropped_wgq656pu79xj1hvkd6du3un4q.jpg

Nicholas McGee
Nov 2, 2016 17:33:26

The Bayer Leverkusen coach discussed the possibility of following the ex-Borussia Dortmund trainer to England, revealing his admiration for the culture of football there

Bayer Leverkusen coach Roger Schmidt has expressed an interest in managing in England in future, believing Liverpool counterpart Jurgen Klopp is a beacon of success in the Premier League.

Schmidt has been talked up as a potential replacement for Arsene Wenger at Arsenal, whose north London rivals Tottenham host Leverkusen at Wembley in the Champions League on Wednesday.

The 49-year-old has turned Leverkusen into an attractive outfit capable of playing eye-pleasing football, with his men ready to leapfrog Tottenham in the Group E standings with a victory.

And, asked about talk of him coaching in the Premier League, Schmidt revealed his admiration for Klopp, telling Mirror Sport: "I like English football very much, because of the culture of football in the country.

"I'm contracted with Leverkusen until 2019 but, if it was possible in the future to be a manager of an English football team, it would be very interesting for me. But, at the moment, I am very happy where I am.

"In every country there are good managers. But now is the time for the German managers, whereas in the past it's been the turn of the Italian or English coaches.

Outshining Hazard and out-assisting Ozil - is Coutinho the Premier League's best player?

"You have a very good example in England with Jurgen Klopp. He did very well at Borussia Dortmund, twice he won the championship and is very successful at Liverpool. In the future, I'm sure he will have even more success there.

He added: "Klopp develops and improves teams. He is a fantastic example in England of a good German coach. I'm sure there are a few more in this style.

"Klopp is a good inspiration for me. I like his active style of football and also his style as a coach. Dortmund beat Bayern Munich twice in the championships and the reason for that was that they played a very aggressive style.

Mourinho cannot risk Rashford burnout at Man Utd

"Klopp showed what is possible with a brave style of football. It's good to see a manager develop in that style. If you want to over perform then you have to play differently, play very aggressively.

"He is a good inspiration and example of that."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte welcomes 'demanding' but hands-on Abramovich

antonioconte-cropped_13thy8i357s0k1lhi4zvq0dutw.jpg

Peter Hanson
Nov 2, 2016 17:19:32

The Blues patron's constant presence and input has been welcomed by the manager, who admires the passion of the Russian in being as close to the team as possible

Antonio Conte has no objection to "demanding" owner Roman Abramovich taking a hands-on approach with his methods at Chelsea.

Conte left his position as Italy coach to become Jose Mourinho's permanent successor at Stamford Bridge in July.

The Italian has adjusted well to life in the Premier League with Chelsea just one point off the top of the table in fourth having won seven of their 10 matches.

Conte revealed that wealthy owner Abramovich travelled on Chelsea's pre-season tour of Austria and is also a regular at the club's Cobham training ground, but the former Juventus coach welcomes the Russian's attendance.

Speaking to Sky Sports Italia, he said: "He's a very demanding employer but a great football enthusiast.

"Mr Abramovich is an employer and owner who has great passion for football. He wants to know and understand your ideas.

Ozil in the form of his life - and Arsenal must break the bank to keep him

"He went to Austria to follow our training sessions. He comes to Cobham to spend time with us and watch the videos I show to my players, because he really wants to understand.

"I think this is wonderful."

Chelsea next host Everton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday looking for a fifth consecutive Premier League win.