• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2016-17 ☆

Lallana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pires defends Wenger philosophy

4 September 2016

1145208header.jpg

Former Arsenal winger Robert Pires has leapt to the defence of manager Arsene Wenger following criticisms of the club's activities during the transfer window.

Arsenal recruited Shkodran Mustafi, Lucas Perez, Granit Xhaka and Rob Holding ahead of last Wednesday's deadline, but there is a sense of frustration emanating from sections of the club's support, who watched Premier League rivals spend big on established stars and exciting prospects.

But Pires, who won two league titles during his time playing under Wenger, believes there is cause for optimism this season.

"I believe in this team, this squad, and of course in Arsene Wenger," he said.

"I know a lot of fans are critical about Arsene. But this is our philosophy, to spend not a lot of money, compared to [Manchester] United, [Manchester] City or Chelsea.

"I think the quality is there. This is my opinion, but when you see all the names at Arsenal, the quality is unbelievable. Because sometimes I am training with the guys and the team is very, very good.

"We need maybe luck for this season and let's hope and cross our fingers."

Fellow Arsenal alumnus Nwankwo Kanu added: "You know the problem with Arsenal, when you need them, they let you down.

"I believe they have learned from that. It doesn't matter how good you play football, you need to get the points when it's needed."

Arsenal's season resumes when they host Southampton on Saturday.

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vardy: Leaving Leicester was never an option

1144138header.jpg

3 September 2016

Jamie Vardy claims he found it an "easy decision" to reject Arsenal, insisting both his head and his heart were set on staying with Leicester City.

Having played a pivotal role in the Foxes' remarkable Premier League title triumph, England striker Vardy headed to Euro 2016 with his future undecided after Arsenal had met his release clause.

Despite taking some time to weigh up his options, the 29-year-old says the call was a relatively straightforward one to make.

"I was in a hotel room [in Chantilly] for so many hours of every day with nothing to do. You had a lot of time on your hands," he explained ahead of Sunday's World Cup qualifier in Slovakia, which marks Sam Allardyce's first game in charge of England.

"I am not going to beat around the bush – every time I thought about it, and every aspect of it I thought about, both my head and my heart were saying to stay at Leicester, which is why I made my decision to stay.

"There were loads of reasons. You get that much time to think about every single thing, down to the tea lady. You think about what might happen, what might not. Where you could be, where not.

"Every time I thought about every little thing, though, both head and heart were saying 'you need to stay'.

"I could see people's point when they assumed I would go, but, deep down, if you don't think it's right for you, you don't do it. It’s as simple as that.

"In my professional life, it was the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but I haven't been a professional for that long. It was hard, but it was actually an easy decision to make."

It had been suggested Claudio Ranieri's table-topping squad would be picked apart by circling suitors, with the likes of Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and N'Golo Kante in high demand.

However, it was only Kante, now at Chelsea, who opted to leave and Vardy is confident Leicester can challenge again this season.

"Leicester have been on the rise for a while now and will keep doing that," he added.

"Look at the deals they did in the transfer window: they obviously want to keep it going. And, if it does keep going, I want to be part of that.

"I've been there from when I was at Fleetwood Town, five years ago, when we were in the Championship and we have gone up and up and up.

"We are a group of brothers and lots of the lads have signed long-term deals now, which the gaffer wanted. To only lose Kante from a Premier League-winning team is not that bad, so hopefully it will carry on.

"That is something I want to be part of."

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Balotelli lashes out at ´bad player´ Carragher

1143827header.jpg

3 September 2016

Mario Balotelli has offered an extraordinary response to Jamie Carragher's criticism of his time at Liverpool, branding the Reds great his "best hater".

Following the Italian's move to Nice, the Sky Sports pundit took to his Twitter account to claim that the French club were "still paying over the odds" for a free transfer.

And Balotelli has now hit back on his own account, with a riposte that is likely to further enrage Liverpool supporters disappointed by his underwhelming spell at Anfield.

"Jamie Carragher, bad player, wonderful hater, who cares," the 26-year-old wrote to almost four million followers.

Balotelli scored just four goals in 28 games for Liverpool following a big-money switch from AC Milan in 2014.

The striker's agent, Mino Raiola, branded Reds boss Jurgen Klopp "a piece of s***" for his treatment of Balotelli, claiming the Liverpool hierarchy also believed the German was wrong to freeze the Italy international out of his plans.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

FA has ´huge problem´ - Neville slams former official Halsey´s claim

1143593header.jpg

3 September 2016

Gary Neville claims the Football Association (FA) and Premier League have a "huge problem" after former top-flight official Mark Halsey suggested he had been told to lie about his in-game decision making.

Halsey, who retired from refereeing at the end of the 2012-13 season, was responding to a question on Twitter regarding the FA's charge on Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero for an elbow on West Ham's Winston Reid.

City appealed against Aguero's three-match ban but the FA rejected their application, with Halsey suggesting referee Andre Marriner may have been asked to lie about his view of the clash between Aguero and Reid.

"I have been in that situation when I have seen an incident and been told to say I haven't seen it," Halsey posted.

He later followed up: "To be fair to the FA… it's not them. It comes from within the PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Limited]."

Highlighting the exchange in a series of tweets, Neville wrote: "Mark is that not corrupt!! I'd like to know who told you to say that!!!

"I've spoken with Mark. Verified the statement. Huge problem!!!

"@FA and @premierleague think you have a major issue on your hands!!"

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea youngster Piazon blasts club´s loan policy

6 September 2016

1148639header.jpg

Lucas Piazon has blasted Chelsea's loan policy after the forward joined Fulham until the end of the season.

It is the fifth such move for the 22-year-old, who arrived at Stamford Bridge as a highly rated teenager from Sao Paulo in 2011.

The Brazilian, who has spent time with Malaga, Vitesse, Eintracht Frankfurt and Reading, is struggling to see the value in being farmed out time and time again.

"It makes no sense to go on loan all the time," he said in quotes reported by the Daily Mail.

"It is not good for any player in my experience – or the experience of the other boys. I don't see it as a positive thing any more. To be in a different place every year is not good for me at 22.

"It's difficult to get a place in the team. They have their own players. You do your best, try to get a place in the squad, minutes on the pitch, score and create goals. That's all you can do."

Chelsea's website lists 38 players as being on loan for all or part of the 2016-17 season.

Piazon has made one Premier League appearance for Chelsea, coming on as a substitute in the 8-0 home win over Aston Villa in December 2012.

ArseneWenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Wilshere will take over as Arsenal manager one day

arsenals-injury-crisis-jack-wilshere_xv98ka4n8j4pzlkk30t1ph49.jpg

Sep 10, 2016 00:58:12

The England midfielder may be playing at Bournemouth this season but his mentor has no doubt that he will be back one way or another at the Emirates Stadium

Arsene Wenger has backed Jack Wilshere to take over as Arsenal manager once his football career comes to an end.

The England international will spend the 2016-17 campaign on loan at Bournemouth after struggling with injuries last season.

But Wenger remains a firm believer in the academy graduate's potential - both on the pitch and in a future role in the dugout.

"Certainly one day he will be in my seat," Wenger said of Wilshere during his press conference on Friday.

"He has a real football brain and understands football. You know really, it’s in his genes. I see him in the future at this club of course. He will spend his life in football, he is a football man.

"He has an eye on everybody, it’s in him. You have that or you haven't got it, but he is a real football man."

Guardiola

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: I was always straight with Ibrahimovic

zlatan-ibrahimovic-pep-guardiola_144dt1cgomff9155zrbzal4uvg.jpg

Sep 10, 2016 00:35:10

The coach came in for harsh criticism in the star's autobiography on the back of their difficult time together at Barcelona but he is adamant he did not mislead the striker

Pep Guardiola has insisted he did not mislead Zlatan Ibrahimovic over his role in the Barcelona team as the Manchester United striker has claimed.

The pair suffered a falling out during their time together at Camp Nou and, in his autobiography, Ibrahimovic claimed Guardiola had "betrayed" him before selling him on.

But as they prepare to go face-to-face in Saturday's Manchester derby, the City manager denied that he had been dishonest during their time working together.

"He explained in his book about what he believes," Guardiola told reporters when asked about his relationship with Ibrahimovic.

"But always I was clear, I spoke with him always face-to-face - always. I never used the media to explain what I wanted from Zlatan on the pitch, never.

"The people can say many, many things, but I was so clear and direct to him."

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola plays down Mourinho rivalry: 'Are we really that good?!'

pep-guardiola-jose-mourinho-la-liga_1vjvo7k2n4zfs1u7bwz3f8qdii.jpg

Sam Lee
Sep 9, 2016 22:30:12

The Manchester City boss says his rivalry with the Portuguese does not compare to other famous sporting clashes such as Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier

Pep Guardiola has moved to play down his rivalry with Jose Mourinho, insisting it is nothing like history’s great sporting battles because it is the players on the pitch who make the difference.

Guardiola’s Manchester City will face Mourinho’s United in a highly anticipated Manchester derby at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon, the latest installment of a managerial rivalry that usually steals the headlines.

The two men worked alongside each other at Barcelona during the 1990s but their coaching careers took different paths and, since Guardiola was chosen ahead of Mourinho for the Barcleona job in 2008, their respective teams have been involved in a number of memorable clashes.

Their time together in Spain, with Guardiola at Barca and Mourinho at Real Madrid, produced drama both on and off the pitch in every meeting between the two clubs, not least during an intense run of four Clasicos in just 18 days.

The two men have only met once since they left Spain - when Guardiola’s Bayern beat Mourinho’s Chelsea on penalties in the 2013 UEFA Super Cup - but their paths have now converged in Manchester and their rivalry provides an intriguing subplot ahead of the first derby of the season.

It was put to Guardiola that his run-ins with Mourinho could go down in history alongside the long-running Formula One feud between Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost, or Muhammad Ali’s infamous bouts with Joe Frazier, but the Catalan did not see any similarities.

“Come on!” he implored. “Both of us, we are really good like these kind of people? Come on!

“I think, with a lot of respect for you in your jobs, you make big, big mistakes. Jose and I don’t play, so I’m sorry, when you play Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe, when you play Michael Jordan and… well, Michael Jordan beats all the others, but Jordan or Kobe Bryant, or Federer and Rafa Nadal or Djokovic… that is the point, we don’t play.

“This game belongs to the players, it doesn’t belong to Jose, it doesn’t belong to me or Arsene or the big managers. I think you give so much importance to what we say. In the end what we are, we speak through our players, through our games, not what we’re talking about here, so the rivalry, believe me it’s on the pitch, the players, they are the big stars. Tomorrow the people go to Old Trafford to see Jose or me there on the side, they are going to see all the big fantastic players on the field.”

The City boss was also keen to point out that although he relishes the opportunity to improve himself by working out how to better his opponents, titles and trophies are not decided by how he fares against other big-name coaches.

“I said many times as a football player like I was, the big players make me a better player, and as a coach, as a manager, the better managers make you a better manager,” he added.

“Here and in Germany, with Thomas Tuchel, Jurgen Klopp, and in Spain as well, that’s true. I want to beat them and they want to beat me, I want to do my best and I need the best players or the best manager to make me better and they help me make the step forward, there is no doubt about that.

“But at the end you don’t win the titles for that rivalry because it’s just two or three games in the season. I was lucky to be the coach of fantastic players and we won a lot of titles because we won a lot of games, not just one game against Jose or another coach, [we won] many of them. You have to win every three games to win the title, the title is not only tomorrow against Jose.”

Guardiola, however, has seen first-hand the impact coaches can have on the history of clubs or even football itself.

Having learned his trade playing for Johan Cruyff at Barcelona, he then reinstated the club as the dominant European force by reinstating the Dutchman’s principles at Camp Nou when he took over the reins in 2008.

But the Catalan is as yet unsure about his own chances of establishing a legacy at the Etihad Stadium and becoming a manager capable of transcending his sport, although he knows what the club’s owners are hoping to achieve.

“I know why they contacted me to come here, they know the way we are going to play, because they know me, but the impact I don’t know.

“When I finish my period here, after we can analyse how my period was here, especially in Manchester City.

"For City fans it is the most important thing in their lives, it doesn’t matter how many titles but when you compare the history, especially in the Sir Alex Ferguson era, the impact for Manchester United in the global world of course it’s bigger than Manchester City, but from Abu Dhabi people came here to try to make steps forward, to achieve, but the impact I don’t know, so I cannot say."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte refuses to label Manchester sides as title favourites

antonioconte-cropped_lgbrkw5cgswx1g014ibyolsvz.jpg

Ben Spratt
Sep 9, 2016 20:49:31

Ahead of Saturday's derby, the Blues boss refused to identify which team might be Premier League front-runners and would rather focus on his own team

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is not concerned by the fortunes of his side's title rivals, insisting Leicester City's triumph last season shows it is too early to identify favorites.

While the 2014-15 Premier League champions travel to Swansea on Sunday, Manchester United and Manchester City face off in their first derby of the season on Saturday.

But Conte refused to discuss whether the two Manchester sides are favourites for the title, referring to Leicester's success as proof that little can be ascertained at this stage.

"I don't like to speak about favourites," he told a news conference. "Last season showed us that a team that is not the favourite can win the title.

"We all know United and City are two great teams, they have both done a lot in the transfer market.

"But I hope, at the end of the season, there will be five or six teams that can fight for the title."

And Conte is keen to remain focused on Chelsea, while maintaining an interest in the outcome of the Manchester derby.

"We all know there is, tomorrow, a great match between United and City," he said.

"But I think in this moment we must be focused only on our game, because we know, against Swansea, the game will be very tough. We will face a well-organised team with a good manager.

"It's important to look at ourselves and not to look at the others. We know tomorrow will be a good game and we will enjoy the game, but it's most important to be focused on our game."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp wowed by new Main Stand and vows Liverpool will give rivals "hell"

hd-liverpool-fsg-klopp_1fwvz0jrkzeqa1h6urcanc13v7.jpg

Melissa Reddy at Anfield
Sep 9, 2016 16:00:17

The Reds boss referred to the new structure at Anfield as one of the "nicest stands in the world" before insisting his side can trouble the best in the world

Jurgen Klopp revealed his Liverpool players were in awe when they caught a first glimpse of the new Main Stand, before warning the club’s competitors his side plan to “give them hell” despite their greater resources.

643 days after construction started, with 1.8 million bricks and blocks used in the build, the 20,500-seater structure was officially unveiled on Friday.

And the Reds boss, having been astonished after viewing it for the first time earlier in the week, scheduled a training session for his squad at Anfield so they would not be distracted by the stand's magnificence during Saturday’s hosting of Premier League champions Leicester.

Liverpool had their workout in the evening on Thursday, and as expected, those accustomed to the stadium were left speechless.

“The new players couldn’t really compare. For them it’s big, massive, impressive and ‘okay, that’s how it is’. But the other players walked out and they were stunned," explained Klopp.

“You were here against Chelsea [the 1-1 draw in May] and it just seems not possible that it could be like this now.

“For me, I couldn’t think about how they would work it with the angles and fitting in all the seats. It was a big shock to see it - a good one - and it’s much better than I could’ve imagined.”

Anfield’s capacity has been elevated to 54,074 - a figure still well behind Old Trafford (75,635), the Emirates (60,432), and the Olympic Stadium (60,000).

When that gap, as well as the financial one that exists with the club's traditional rivals, was put to Klopp, he quickly and typically dismissed it, insisting Liverpool have enough to get under the skin of top teams and secure success.

“It depends on our attitude. If always the people with the best circumstances would win, this world would be an ugly place,” he said.

3703982.jpg

“We all have the chance to fight for everything. It’s not about having a guarantee, it’s about having the opportunity.

“If anyone comes in here and thinks that this stadium doesn’t give us a chance to fight, then they’re dead - no emotions or whatever.

“They can’t feel this place. You should compare when it helps, but if it doesn’t, then why even think about it?

“We are the only people that can change our circumstances, nobody else will do it for you. You can say ‘but they have this, they have that’ - it is useless, come on! We will work with what we have.

“We have to do more from our side. We want to go to the best teams in the world and give them hell in the moment we face them - in Manchester, in London, wherever - I don’t care.

“This is football. And if there is one part of life where you can challenge the best in the world, then it’s football.

“And now, looking at this [the Main Stand], it’s even better.

“On a day like this, we shouldn’t think someone has more than us, but only how much we have to use.”

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton donate £200,000 to young Sunderland fan's cancer treatment fund

bradleylowery-cropped_12s0iwnt5hmjk1prnf8o8zfgvp.jpg

Peter Hanson
Sep 13, 2016 10:13:19

A fundraising page for a Black Cats fan's cancer treatment has been boosted by the Toffees' generous pledge

Everton have promised to make a donation of £200,000 to a young Sunderland supporter who is attempting to raise funds for life-saving cancer treatment.

Bradley Lowery led the Mackems on to the pitch during Monday's Premier League encounter between the teams, which Everton won 3-0, and was given a rousing reception by all four sides of the ground.

The five-year-old's family are attempting to raise £700,000 in order to receive treatment for neuroblastoma in the United States, and his fundraising page has raised more than £500,000 so far.

And Everton pledged to support the cause following the game with a club tweet reading: "Everton Football Club has pledged a donation of £200,000 to support @Bradleysfight in his brave battle."

A club statement added: "We wish Bradley every success and he has the love and support of every Evertonian.

"The club will also be inviting Bradley and his family to the return game at Goodison Park and the players' signed shirts from [Monday's] game will be auctioned off to support the fund."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Everything isn’t enough - You need sacrifice

Peter Staunton
Sep 13, 2016 07:12:22

The Man Utd manager was chosen by Heineken to be the face of 'The Prep Talk', their latest Champions League campaign, and found himself echoing real-life team talks

GOALEXCLUSIVE

Jose Mourinho says that "sacrifice" is always one of the most important words in his team talks.

The Manchester United boss is one of the most successful coaches in world football and renowned for his man-management skills - making him the obvious choice to deliver 'The Prep Talk' in Heineken's latest Champions League campaign, which is directed by Guy Ritchie.

"I found some similarities with the real [team] talk," the Portuguese explains in an exclusive interview with Goal. "I remembered because I had to do it while acting, but I had to repeat the word 'sacrifice' a few times because I have to do this with my players.

"Because everything isn’t enough - you need something more, you need sacrifice.

"You are tired but you need to deliver; you are in trouble during a game but you must be able to get over it.

"So, sacrifice was the strongest word of the Heineken prep-talk but it’s a word I’ve had to use many times."

Mourinho also revealed that he enjoyed working with Ritchie, who has previously directed such box office hits as 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' and 'Snatch'.

"I think he prepared me really well, he did an amazing job and I learned a lot," the two-time Champions League winner enthused.

"Without him I couldn’t do what I did because there was a big difference between what I could do when I arrived and what I did for the final project.

"The feeling was the same feeling I have when I make players better than they are. I tried to do the best possible and I was really committed.”

Guardiola

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why does Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium smell of garlic?

etihad-stadium_1mgpbp00qtnv71ek3fyp56ovg7.jpg

Sam Lee
Sep 16, 2016 09:00:00

Any supporters who had hung around the Premier League club's stadium after their game in midweek would have been left wondering where the strong smell had come from

Manchester City keep the Etihad Stadium pitch in top condition by covering it in garlic.

The club’s ground staff get through tonnes of garlic in a bid to ward off microscopic parasites that eat away at grass roots and damage the playing surface.

The Etihad is regularly treated - most recently after Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Borussia Monchengladbach - and the club’s City Football Academy training ground is also coated.

A strong smell of garlic was noticeable around the grounds of the Etihad two hours after full-time on Wednesday, when most fans and employees had gone home.

But City staff at the CFA are regularly forced to put up with the pungent aroma during the working week.

The treatment, which has been used for two years, is indicative of City’s attention to detail and desire to provide their players with top-class and safe facilities ever since the CFA was opened in 2014.

The club even sent a groundsman to China one week before the players departed for their pre-season tour this summer in a bid to restore the playing surface at Beijing’s Bird’s Nest Stadium to playable conditions.

The pitch had suffered a fungus infestation which, combined with heavy rain in the area, eventually ensured the International Champions Cup meeting with Manchester United was cancelled, despite City’s best efforts.

There are signs that the garlic tactics are working back in Manchester, however: following downpours across the north west of England on Tuesday it was safety concerns, rather than the state of the pitch, which caused the game against Gladbach to be postponed.

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guidolin embroiled in second sub spat

francesco-guidolin-cropped_1s4lw69a02i531q2p8mgcxum3g.jpg

Gareth Morgan
Sep 19, 2016 00:15:06

Neil Taylor clashed with the Swans manager during the club's 2-2 draw with Chelsea last weekend and the Italian has now criticised the attitude of midfielder Ki Sung-yueng

Swansea City boss Francesco Guidolin criticised Ki Sung-yueng's attitude after the midfielder reacted angrily to being substituted during the club's 1-0 defeat at Southampton.

The South Korea international appeared to remonstrate with Guidolin and refused to shake his hand as he left the field shortly after the hour-mark to be replaced by Jefferson Montero.

And the Italian, who admitted that his side deserved nothing from a disappointing display at St Mary's, was not impressed by Ki's behaviour.

"This is not a good attitude and I will have to speak to him," he said.

"I respect all my players, but the relationship between them and me is very important.

"There is no problem with respect between me and the players; in this squad I have found good guys and good players."

The incident follows a similar altercation between Guidolin and Neil Taylor after the defender was hauled off four minutes before half-time in last weekend's home draw with Chelsea.

The Wales international also refused to shake his manager's hand and appeared to question why he had not waited until the break to make the change.

Guidolin later apologised for his actions, but while insisting that the issue had been resolved, did not include Taylor in his squad for the Southampton clash.

The 27-year-old is, however, expected to feature in Wednesday's EFL Cup clash with Manchester City at the Liberty Stadium.

The Welsh side downed Peterborough United to set up the clash with City, but have not won in the league since the opening day of the season.

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba's agent questions Arsenal's 'balls' in the transfer market

hd-arsene-wenger-arsenal_ogl0y6sa7uju15llky7g5mjwe.jpg

Stephen Crawford
Sep 19, 2016 00:53:56

The Italian-born Dutch 'super agent' spoke of respect for Arsene Wenger, but feels the Gunners lack confidence with their transfer business

Paul Pogba's agent has discussed his client's move to Manchester United, claiming that a move to Real Madrid was “too easy”, while he has also questioned whether Arsenal have the “balls” to make a world record signing.

Raiola insists the Gunners have money to spend and spoke of his respect for Arsene Wenger, though he feels the Frenchman's side lack confidence in their transfer business.

“It's not just a case of spending the money,” Raiola told the Daily Mail. “It's shouldering the responsibility and saying 'yes, this is my man'. Arsenal have the money, but do they have the balls?

“I respect Arsene Wenger. He has a philosophy that says the figures [I am paid] don't match what I do, but that's okay. I know Wenger likes Pogba but the price Juventus set for him doesn't fit his philosophy.

“With Real Madrid, Zidane's will was strong but we were not sure the club felt the same. Manchester United sent out a message with the transfer they did: 'this is the biggest club in the world'.”

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Phelan considering Hull job offer after Arsenal defeat

17 September 2016

1156815header.jpg

Hull City caretaker manager Mike Phelan says he will sit down with his family to discuss taking the job on a permanent basis after his side lost 4-1 at home to Arsenal.

Phelan has been in charge at the KCOM Stadium since Steve Bruce quit in July, and Phelan has indicated his desire to stay on during Hull's battling start to the season.

The Tigers had to play with 10 men after Jake Livermore was sent off during the defeat to Arsenal, while Phelan said the offer of the manager's job was given to him while he was preparing for the game.

"My position is I have been offered the job," he said.

"It came 48 hours ago when we were in preparation for this game.

"I have time now to sit down with family, have a chat and take it forward."

The defeat against Arsenal left Hull without a win from their last three Premier League matches, but a haul of seven points from their opening five games of the season has left them comfortably in mid-table, despite having a paper-thin squad.

Phelan acknowledged his side made mistakes that allowed Theo Walcott and Alexis Sanchez to score Arsenal's third and fourth goals at a time when Hull might have salvaged a point after Robert Snodgrass converted a late penalty.

"We were playing against a top team. It was always going to be difficult once we lost a man and went down to 10 men. Against a team like Arsenal it can fall into their hands but I was pleased with our contribution up to that - we were more than capable of causing Arsenal a few issues.

"We had possession before and after the red card and we kept going. To come back to 2-1 was a good feeling for our guys but unfortunately it didn't last long enough.

"Our own mistakes caused the problems, giving the ball away for the third and fourth goals. That is where we got punished."

Livermore was sent off for deliberate handball shortly before half-time, only for Sanchez to miss the ensuing penalty.

Phelan questioned the referee's decision to show Livermore a straight red, saying: "It was a penalty we can't grumble about that. I think his arm is there and hit it.

"The problem is, is it a red card? I felt it was a little harsh on the player."

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benteke has no regrets over Liverpool switch

18 September 2016

1157172header.jpg

Christian Benteke may have struggled to make an impact at Liverpool but the Belgium international has no regrets about his Anfield switch.

The striker moved to Merseyside in July 2015 after 42 Premier League goals in three seasons for Aston Villa, then-Reds manager Brendan Rodgers parting with a reported transfer fee of £32.5million.

Benteke's time at the club did not go as planned, though, as he struggled to hold down a regular first-team berth, and the goals dried up.

In his 29 league appearances – 14 of which were starts – the 25-year-old only found the back of the net nine times, and he was duly sold to Crystal Palace by Rodgers' successor Jurgen Klopp in August.

Despite his indifferent spell with the Reds, Benteke does not look back with regret.

"It was an honour to play for Liverpool, such a big club with such a big history," Benteke told Sky Sports.

"I didn't play or perform as I wanted. It was my decision to go there and I don't regret anything.

"I didn't have the chances to perform. I learned that's football. That is why I have no anger against anyone there.

"[The] frustration is at myself that in the short time I had to play I didn't do it as I wanted. Brendan [Rodgers] did everything for me to come there, then I had my injury and I couldn't help. I wanted to do more."

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

Balotelli will absolutely return to the Premier League - Raiola

19 September 2016

1157636header.jpg

Mario Balotelli's agent Mino Raiola is already tipping his client for a return to the Premier League on a free transfer next year, just two matches into the striker's Nice career.

Balotelli moved to Allianz Riviera on transfer deadline day last month after two disappointing years on the books of Liverpool – the second of which saw him loaned to AC Milan.

According to Raiola, the former Inter and Manchester City forward - who scored twice on his Ligue 1 debut against Marseille - is unlikely to play in Serie A again in the near future, with another stint in England potentially beckoning.

"Italy is unliveable for him because of the attention he gets," the agent told The Daily Mail.

"If he proves he can become stable at Nice and score goals then imagine how attractive he would be to a Premier League manager next summer as a free agent.

"France needs him, like they needed Zlatan. He is good for the league but he will absolutely return to the Premier League."

Balotelli, 26, impressed under Roberto Mancini at Inter and City, but has struggled for consistency since swapping the Etihad Stadium for San Siro in 2013, when he joined Milan.

"I should not have given him his way when he asked to leave City," Raiola said.

"It is the one big mistake I made. Mario was unhappy and I should have said, 'You're feeling s***? You don't like your job? Tough, grow up, get on with it'. I needed to be cruel to be kind but I was too nice.

"Football needs to be his priority - to be a top athlete, you make the sacrifice and after 11 or 12 years, you redress the balance then lead the life you want.

"Pavel Nedved, who was one of my first players, had that focus to be a success and he was a model family man.

"Mario didn't have that focus, then he got a reputation and if you have a reputation you don't have credibility. That makes it more difficult."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mata: No time for mourning - Manchester United must react

1157845header.jpg

19 September 2016

Juan Mata says Manchester United's players do not have time to mourn their surprise defeat to Watford and has called for a reaction against Northampton Town and Leicester City.

United conceded twice late on to lose 3-1 at Vicarage Road in the Premier League on Sunday, marking the first time since 2001-02 that Jose Mourinho has lost three successive matches in a single season.

Spain international Mata, writing in a blog on the United website, has sought to put a positive spin on the team's difficult situation.

"As I always say, one of the best things of football is that the game is testing you all the time," he said.

"A win doesn't last too long, and it happens the same way with a defeat - you have the chance to make it up soon afterwards. Two more games this week will give us the opportunity to show on the pitch our pride and skills. There's no time for mourning. We must react."

As they seek to respond to recent disappointments, United are away to third-tier opposition on Wednesday followed by a challenging assignment at home to title-holders Leicester on Saturday.

"First of all, we visit Northampton Town in the EFL Cup, in our first game of the season in this competition," Mata said.

"We are the favourites in this game and we have to deliver, with all due respect to the opponent because, despite being in League One, Northampton Town has already knocked out a Premier League side like West Brom.

"I'm sure the stadium will be packed and they will try to make things difficult for us.

"And next weekend we are back to the Premier League, this time at Old Trafford against Leicester. Playing a nice game against the current champions would be the best signal that we could send to our supporters. In order to do so, we have to improve and work hard in every sense.

"I believe this team is capable of doing great things this season."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

No number one for Klopp as Karius prepares for debut

19 September 2016

1158076header.jpg

Loris Karius is set to make his Liverpool debut against Derby County in the EFL Cup, with Jurgen Klopp unwilling to label either of his frontline goalkeepers as number one.

Karius joined Anfield from Mainz during the close season but suffered a broken hand and only returned to full training a fortnight ago.

The 23-year-old's absence allowed Simon Mignolet to resume duties as Liverpool's starting goalkeeper in the Premier League and Klopp is pleased with the competition for places he has between the posts ahead of the third-round clash at the iPro Stadium.

"The thing we wanted to have was two really, really strong goalkeepers and I think now that is what we have got," he told reporters.

"[Karius] had an advantage in pre-season but he couldn't use it because of the injury. Simon came back exactly at this moment from the [Belgium] national team and did a brilliant job.

"I don't want to really make a big battle of these two goalkeepers. Why should I? Goalkeepers need to feel secure.

"The pressure on the players is big enough, I do not have to make any more. It's all about what I see in training and what I see is two very, very good goalkeepers."

Asked whether Mignolet would definitely return for the weekend Premier League match with Hull City, Klopp explained his reasoning for being non-committal.

"Where is my possibility to answer? If I say 'yes', what would this mean for Loris? If I say 'no', what would this mean for Simon?" he said.

"Maybe the question makes sense but the answer doesn't make sense. There is no number one in this moment, no decision to make.

"It is only about performing, showing how good you are. For the other players it is the same. I don't say, 'now for the next 15 months he is our centre-half'."

Another German back in line for action with Liverpool is midfielder Emre Can, who has been absent since suffering an ankle problem during the round-two rout of Burton Albion.

"Emre's in training and when he's in training then he's available," Klopp explained.

"He was last week in training but we took him to the side to do some specific work because he didn't have a proper pre-season, and now with injuries then he's not been available for three or four weeks. It [the game at Burton] was not yesterday, that's for sure.

"He's available and now he can collect match time. How much, if he starts or not - no decision until now."