• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

'I'm worried about the referee' - Alexis turns up the heat ahead of Brazil clash

429480_heroa.jpg

Jun 27, 2014 12:36:00 PM

The Chile forward has suggested he is concerned that the Selecao will be favoured by the officials when they meet on Saturday in the second round of the World Cup

Chile's Alexis Sanchez has caused a stir ahead of their World Cup last-16 match with Brazil, claiming he is worried about the referee.

Jorge Sampaoli's men face the tournament hosts and one of the favourites to win it in the second round and Alexis made his concerns public about how the game would be refereed - with the implications being favouritism towards Brazil may be a factor.

Brazil were awarded a soft penalty in the tournament opener against Croatia with the score at 1-1 heading towards the final 20 minutes.

English referee Howard Webb has been appointed to the fixture in Belo Horizonte on Saturday, but prior to the distribution of refs for the last 16, Alexis said he doubted whether Chile would get a fair go.

"I think Brazil is the team with the best defence," Alexis said.

"They've got great quality in their squad, and I'm really happy we are going to play against Brazil and Neymar.

"My worry is the referee, but we'll see."

Despite his concerns, Alexis did concede he was thrilled to play the tournament favourites and his Barca team-mates Neymar and Dani Alves.

"I'm very happy playing against Brazil, I am delighted to play against some of my club team-mates like Neymar and Dani Alves, and I will enjoy this game a lot," he said.

"It is something that fulfils me as a player, and as a team too, so we can demonstrate that we can hold our own with the best.

"Of course I respect them, they have a great team and great players."

Mauricio Isla said Chile are susceptible to the long ball, adding that Brazil are stronger now than four years ago in South Africa, where they won 3-0 in their last-16 match-up.

"I think this will be a very different game to the one we had against them in South Africa, I remember that in that game, they got the opener from an aerial ball," Isla said.

"That kind of play, has always been tough for us."

Isla added, alluding to past Chile players: "It would be nice to have an Elias Figueroa or a Chano Garrido in our defence, because we are short.

"But I also believe that this Brazil plays much better than the one in 2010. They have got great defenders that can play as midfielders.

"I think they have the best central defenders in the world, and it's going to be a different game."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Vidal 'nowhere near 100%' but will play against Brazil - Sampaoli

429642_heroa.jpg

Jun 27, 2014 9:58:00 PM

The midfielder is still struggling with a knee problem but will battle through the pain barrier to face the host nation on Saturday

By Ben Hayward in Belo Horizonte

Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli has revealed that Arturo Vidal is "nowhere near" 100 per cent fit, but says the Juventus midfielder will start against Brazil on Saturday.

Vidal has been struggling with a knee problem, while defender Gary Medel is a big doubt for Chile's World Cup last-16 clash against the host nation at the Estadio Mineirao.

Speaking at the pre-match press conference ahead of that game in Belo Horizonte, Sampaoli said: "Arturo will play against Brazil. He is nowhere near 100 per cent fit, but he's a guarantee, an emblem.

"For Juventus in the Europa League [last season] he played at 30 or 35 per cent fit and he's the kind of player who can do that. He's doing everything he can to be involved. Against Spain he also made an enormous effort to be ready for the game."

The news on Medel was less positive, however, with Sampaoli set to make a last-minute decision on the 26-year-old's fitness.

"He has a muscle problem and we'll have to see how it develops," the Argentine coach said. "If the game were today, he wouldn't play. But luckily both he and Arturo are fast healers, so we have hope. We'll see how he is tomorrow."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Pekerman: Uruguay still 'top notch' without Suarez

428095_heroa.jpg

Jun 27, 2014 8:30:00 PM

The striker will not play football again for four months, but the coach of the nation he would have been facing on Saturday says the Celeste remain a force without him

By Greg Stobart at the Estadio Maracana

Colombia coach Jose Pekerman refused to be drawn on the “sensitive” issue of Luis Suarez’s four-month ban ahead of the crucial last 16 World Cup clash against Uruguay on Saturday.

Suarez will miss the match after the Uruguay striker received a nine-match international ban and a four-month suspension from all football for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini in their final Group D match.

In his pre-match press conference at the Maracana, Pekerman refused to be drawn on the issue and insisted the Celeste remain a "top notch" team without their star man.

Pekerman said: “Listen, this is a very sensitive and very delicate issue. I understand it but our concern is Uruguay as a team. We are preparing to face their team tomorrow and that is all.

“We’ve always thought only of Uruguay. They are a top notch opponent that we are going to face. It is a very experienced team with a lot of abilities and a successful cycle.

“They were always going to be a difficult opponent anyway. I’m very busy with Colombia and our problems and considerations. We will think about our own team.”

Colombia head into the game in fine form after winning all three of their group matches, and Pekerman has urged his players to continue their momentum and book a place in the quarter-final.

“This is a huge test for us. We know the abilities of our opponent and their experience,” he added.

“This will be a demanding test for Colombia. We will have to show that we are up for it. It’s important not to lose the optimism and faith we have.

“We are seeing in the World Cup that a lot of new things are happening that didn’t happen in past World Cups. It makes it a beautiful tournament.”

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Ochoa lauds Mexico rearguard

429496_heroa.jpg

Luke Sheehan
Jun 27, 2014 7:29:00 PM

The goalkeeper has won rave reviews for his performances in the tournament so far, but opted to share the praise with his team-mates ahead of a big game against the Oranje

Mexico goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa has hailed his side's defence as they prepare for their last-16 World Cup clash with the Netherlands.

The Group A runners-up tackle the Dutch in Fortaleza on Sunday, with Louis van Gaal's men bang in-form after scoring 10 goals in three group wins.

El Tri only netted four times as they picked up seven points, but had not been beaten at the back for the opening 266 minutes of the tournament before Croatia's Ivan Perisic scored a consolation goal in their final group game.

And up against a potent Dutch attack featuring Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder, Ochoa said his defence must continue to be compact.

"I think the defensive line has been shown to be key," said Ochoa.

"In such a short tournament it is so important and essential to help you earn points, and to make a difference we must continue on a single line.

"The team has seen and has been playing well, has grown and hopefully in the next game will continue to grow."

Ochoa admitted that he fears the star-studded Dutch, but also warned the 2010 finalists to not be complacent against his side.

"It's a tough opponent, it will not be easy, we will give a good fight in all sectors and have to be very attentive and focused," he added.

"We've seen in the games they've played that they have players that make much difference, versatile, strong, but we also play, we have our strengths and how we have been following them, they will have to deal with us."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Scolari: Brazil are at 80% ahead of Chile clash

421843_heroa.jpg

Jun 27, 2014 6:51:00 PM

The Selecao boss believes his side are improving as the World Cup progresses and says his players are in good shape as they prepare for Saturday's last-16 clash at the Mineirao

By Ben Hayward in Belo Horizonte

Brazil boss Luiz Felipe Scolari says his side are at 80 per cent of the level they reached when they won the Confederations Cup on home soil this time last year.

Wins over Croatia and Cameroon and a draw with Mexico saw Brazil top Group A and set up a meeting with Chile in the last 16 of the World Cup on Saturday.

The hosts have not always looked convincing, however, and their patchy performances have brought intense scrutiny from the Brazilian media.

"We like to watch the games, but we don't listen to what the pundits and commentators say," Scolari told reporters at his side's pre-match press conference at the Estadio Mineirao on Friday. "We don't really want to know what is being said because some players don't take well to [public] criticism."

But he admitted: "The team at this time is at 80 per cent of the level we were at in the Confederations Cup. We have done a lot of work with our medical department, a lot of psychological work. The evolution has been noted and we are approaching the normal and ideal conditions we had last year."

Then, Brazil beat Spain 3-0 in the final to claim the trophy and make a significant statement ahead of this year's World Cup, but before they can think of similar success this time around the hosts face a tricky match against Chile on Saturday.

"Chile are a very good team," Scolari said. "They have adapted to the system of [coach Jorge] Sampaoli and they have a new dynamic since his arrival."

And he warned: "Their performances have improved and they can cause us problems, maybe even beat us. "That's not in our plans as we are preparing to win the game, but if we lose, life goes on."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Susic quits as Bosnia coach

428855_heroa.jpg

Jun 27, 2014 10:34:00 AM

The 59-year-old took the Eastern Europeans into their first World Cup as an independent nation but a first round elimination has seen him decide to leave the post after five years

Bosnia-Herzegovina coach Safet Susic announced that he will be leaving his post after the nation's World Cup campaign ended.

High hopes were held for Bosnia in their first appearance at the summer showpiece, but Susic's men failed to qualify from Group F after losing two of their three matches.

And despite a morale-boosting 3-1 win over Iran on Wednesday, Susic has decided to walk from the top job.

"This was my last game at the World Cup," Susic told Brazilian newspaper Lancenet.

"Unfortunately there will not be another one. Sometimes it is a nice feeling to be free of obligations.

"I can decide my own fate and this is my answer."

Susic added that he felt bad for Bosnian fans and thought the team should have reached the last 16 in Brazil.

"I feel sorry for those we have disappointed," he added.

"We should have done better by the quality of our players but now is the time for this team to look forward to Euro 2016 qualifiers.

"We lacked experience and cool heads at crucial moments in the opening two games but I cannot complain about effort. That's just football."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Belgium rocked by Vanden Borre loss

429667_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jun 27, 2014 10:50:00 PM

The defender will play no further part in the World Cup after being stretchered from the field during his nation's 1-0 win over South Korea

Belgium coach Marc Wilmots has revealed on Twitter that right-back Anthony Vanden Borre will miss the rest of the World Cup through injury.

Wilmots opted to rotate his squad for Belgium’s final Group H game against South Korea on Thursday, and handed a start to the defender, who had previously been deputy to Toby Alderweireld.

The Red Devils won 1-0 to win the group, but saw Vanden Borre stretchered from the field at the Arena Corinthians with a problem that is set to keep him out for the foreseeable future.

"(There is a) crack in (the) fibula (of) @AvdBorre," Wilmots posted on his official Twitter account on Friday.

"Anthony will no longer be able to play at the World Cup but remains with the team."

Vanden Borre, 26, made his international debut in 2004 and has since racked up 26 appearances for the national side.

Belgium are one of only four teams, along with Argentina, Colombia and Netherlands, to leave the group stage with a 100 percent record.

They will face the United States in the last-16, who finished second in Group G, at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador on July 1.

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

'Suarez has been made a scapegoat' - Tabarez lashes out over ban

429694_heroa.jpg

Jun 27, 2014 11:09:00 PM

The coach has lashed out against the 'excessive' four-month suspension handed to the striker and attacked the British media during a lengthy statement to the media on Friday

By Greg Stobart at the Estadio Maracana

Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez has slammed Fifa for making Luis Suarez a "scapegoat" and has blamed the British media for creating the storm that led to an "excessive" four-month ban for the striker.

Suarez was banned from all football for four months, in addition to a nine-match ban for international matches, for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini in Uruguay’s World Cup Group D victory over Italy in Natal on Tuesday.

Ahead of his side’s last 16 match against Colombia at the Maracana on Saturday, Tabarez delivered a lengthy and passionate statement in his pre-match press conference before leaving the room to loud applause from Uruguayan journalists.

“As a coach I think of the theory of the scapegoat,” Tabarez said. “Of giving a punishment as an example, so that everyone gets the message of what is good and bad, correct and not.

“We agree with the basis of it, but there is a danger in proceeding this way. Many times you forget the scapegoat is a person who has rights.

“Before and after the Suarez episode we have seen incidents measured with a completely different barometer.

“That does not mean I am not justifying anything, I believe he should be punished.

“I can’t deny that we were waiting for disciplinary action, but the decision was of an excessive severity. This was a transgression, not a crime.

“It was a decision which is obviously much more focused on the opinions of the media that attacked him immediately at the conclusion of the match and in the press conference afterwards.

“The journalists took only that topic for the press conference. I don’t know what their nationality was but they all spoke English.

“When I speak of media attacks, the topic they concentrated on was the background and history of Luis because of things that happened in the past.”

Suarez’s suspension is the third time he has been banned for biting an opponent during a match, having received a seven-game ban for biting Otman Bakkal while at Ajax in 2010 and a 10-match suspension for doing the same to Branislav Ivanovic in April 2013.

But Tabarez, who resigned from his position on the Fifa strategy committee in protest, backed Suarez with a message of support for the Liverpool striker.

He added: “Besides Luis Suarez’s mistakes, he has made significant contributions to football on the pitch. This is the true power of wonderful World Cups – the contribution of great football players.

“To Luis Suarez the person, the person who has always coexisted with us and we know him better than anyone else.

“The path you have covered is one he will go through again as someone who starts again to be better - but you will never be alone in that attempt.

“To the Uruguayan fans. We know you are moved by the punishment. We want you to know we are hurt but we have the desire to rebel. More than ever before, we will do our utmost for the match tomorrow.”

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Fifa lifts Beckenbauer ban

429592_heroa.jpg

By Keeghann Sinanan
Jun 27, 2014 4:05:00 PM

The former World Cup winner has been cleared to resume football-related activity and blamed the situation on an administrative mix-up

Fifa has lifted the 90-day ban on former Germany international Franz Beckenbauer participating in football-related activity, for failing to aid an investigation into corruption.

The 68-year-old was suspended for ignoring “repeated requests” from the Fifa ethics committee related to bribery allegations surrounding Russia and Qatar’s respective bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Beckenbauer was subsequently expelled from all football activity for 90 days on June 13, but complied with the request of lead investigator Michael Garcia a few days later and disclosed the necessary information to the committee.

Fifa has now decided to reverse their decision and the former Bayern Munich star admitted he misjudged the severity of the situation.

“I underestimated the matter,” he said in a statement posted by his manager Marcus Hofl.

“Usually such an extensive administrative load is dealt with by my management team.”

However, according to the statement, Beckenbauer has no plans to travel to the World Cup in Brazil despite his new-found freedom.

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sagna: France have to win World Cup

415072_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jun 27, 2014 10:25:00 PM

The Manchester City right-back believes anything less than claiming the trophy will be viewed upon as an underachievement

Bacary Sagna says France's World Cup campaign will have been a failure if they don't win the trophy.

Didier Deschamps' men only scraped through to the tournament after beating Ukraine 3-0 in the second-leg of their play-off having lost the first game 2-0.

Since then, the 1998 winners of the competition have gone from strength to strength, despite missing Franck Ribery through injury, and won two of their three matches in Group E to top the table and progress to the last 16.

Nigeria now lay in wait in the knockout stages, and Sagna says France have only one objective in their minds, while noting the upbeat atmosphere inside the camp.

The right-back said: "As players, we aspire to go as far as possible, to win trophies.

"It would be a failure not to win the trophy. Initially, we wanted to qualify from the group. Now, we want to go step by step.

"There are 11 players who will start, but the 23 are important. The atmosphere is very important and we try to keep this dynamic."

Nigeria claimed their spot in the last 16 after finishing second to Argentina in Group F, having secured four points following a victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina and a draw with Iran.

“They are the best African team at the moment," said the Manchester City right-back.

"They have very good players. Some play in the biggest European clubs, especially in England.

"They will fight and they have a lot of qualities. But we want to concentrate on ourselves.”

Nigeria have returned to the knockout stages of the tournament for the first time in 16 years and will be looking to become only the fourth African side to make the quarter-final stage.

The two sides will meet at the Estadio Nacional de Brasilia on Monday June 30.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil must prove they are no one-man team - Maradona

427959_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 28, 2014 11:49:00 AM

The Argentina great believes the rest of the Selecao must step up their performance levels and claims Scolari should start Fernandinho and Ramires against Chile

Diego Maradona has warned Brazil that any overreliance on Neymar could prove costly at the World Cup.

The Barcelona star has scored four goals so far in the tournament as he lit up the group stages on home soil, ensuring the Selecao claimed top spot in Group A to book a last-16 clash with Chile.

The 1986 World Cup winner feels that Brazil have been unconvincing on the whole so far and must not come to depend on Neymar if they are to keep their hopes of a sixth global title alive.

"Brazil have mounted many moves, scored seven goals and Neymar has got four of them," he wrote in the Times of India.

"They left gaps wide open in the first half against Cameroon and were not comfortable against Croatia.

"A lot will obviously depend on Neymar. He will be heavily marked and how he handles that will go a long way in deciding the outcome of this match. He has been the Messi of this side, but overreliance isn't a good sign.

"Brazil need men to rally around him and it's time to show they are no one-man army. I don't agree with Scolari's selection of Paulinho and Hulk. He has better substitutes in Fernandinho and Ramires and the former proved that against Cameroon."

Chile have won numerous admirers after their performances in the tournament so far, most notably their 2-0 win over Spain that knocked the 2010 winners out.

Maradona has also enjoyed la Roja's approach to matches and feels that they are capable of upsetting the hosts in the second-round match in Belo Horizonte.

"Chile have been the surprise pack," 53-year-old continued.

"They have kept their defence tight and shown discipline and enterprise in the midfield. [Jorge] Sampaoli has instilled tactical maturity in the side. This pack knows how to wait and when to go for the kill.

"Their wing backs are encouraged to move up and create chances for strikers [Alexis] Sanchez and [Eduardo] Vargas. If [Arturo] Vidal is fit, they can spell danger for any team.

"Brazil know this and that's why [Luiz Felipe] Scolari has acknowledged that his team didn't want to face Chile in the second round. Despite topping the group and Neymar going great guns, Brazil have looked vulnerable in patches and Scolari knows that this Chilean lot is capable of punishing mistakes."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chile's new generation has broken the mould - Zamorano

425684_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 28, 2014 11:04:00 AM

The former Roja striker is delighted with the performances his countrymen have delivered in the World Cup and feels they have never been better placed to succeed

Ivan Zamorano claims that Chile have shown that they are able to take on the world's best as they prepare for their World Cup last-16 game with Brazil.

Zamorano represented la Roja for 14 years, notching up 34 goals in 69 appearances, including 12 goals in qualifying for the 1998 World Cup in France, which still remains a record in the Conmebol section.

The former Real Madrid forward, despite being regarded a legend in his homeland, could only guide his team to the last 16 in 1998 - the same result Chile attained in 2010 - but is convinced the current crop can do better.

"The current generation has broken the mould," the 47-year-old said in an interview with Fifa.com.

"Chile have always had good players, but an entire generation of them is hard to come by. These guys have a different mentality. When you hear them talk, they all speak about becoming world champions.

"While two or three of us had played abroad in the 1998 squad, now 95 per cent of the players have done so. This team are better equipped to take on different international challenges: they have earned their stripes and are a lot more mature and experienced."

Zamorano, who finished as top scorer in the 2000 Sydney Olympics where his six goals inspired Chile to the bronze medal, also reserved special praise for winger Alexis Sanchez, who he feel has been amongst some of the best players in Brazil.

"Alexis Sanchez is the main man for Chile," he continued.

"Our greatest feats come when he really turns it on. There have been some fantastic one-off performances, such as France's against Switzerland and Netherlands and Chile's against Spain, but nothing that's blown me away.

"As for players, Neymar, [Lionel] Messi, [Arjen] Robben and [Xherdan] Shaqiri have particularly caught my eye. They grab games by the scruff of the neck; it's a pleasure to watch them play or to have them on your team because they are match-winners."

The Chile legend also reflected on his own World Cup experiences, particularly his partnership with former Juventus attacker, Marcelo Salas.

"Salas and I were cut from the same cloth and all we ever thought about was scoring as many goals as possible for Chile," he said.

"We've got some great forwards today, but we're slightly lacking that goalscoring instinct. They may not have the same eye for goal, but they are making a lot more chances, showing a great deal more intelligence and creativity."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scolari: Brazil can learn a lot from Atletico Madrid

428040_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 28, 2014 9:22:00 AM

The Selecao boss believes that his side can benefit from taking inspiration from Diego Simeone's Liga champions as they prepare to take on Chile in the World Cup last 16

Luiz Felipe Scolari has acknowledged that Brazil can learn a lot from the way Atletico Madrid played in La Liga and the Champions League last season.

Los Rojiblancos enjoyed an excellent campaign last term, finishing as Champions League runners up and winning the Spanish title for the first time since 1996 following a dramatic final-day draw with Barcelona.

With Brazil preparing to face Chile in Belo Horizonte on Saturday, Scolari acknowledged his admiration for Atletico's style of play, agreeing with comments made by Thiago Silva prior to the tournament that Atleti's solid defence and brutal counterttack are examples to follow.

"We play under the team we have and the philosophy of the coach, which is what is passed to the players," the 65-year-old told AS.

"Thiago Silva said Atletico Madrid is an organized team, capable of defending, closing spaces and also has a goal threat and can play on the counterattack. It's not for nothing that they've been league champions and runners-up in the Champions League. We can learn much from them. Not a bad example."

Brazil have high expectations of going far in this World Cup and potentially lifting the trophy for a sixth time, but Scolari insisted that, though his side could cope with the pressure, they would not underestimate their opponents.

"The level of Chile has improved since the arrival of [Jorge] Sampaoli," he continued. "The players have improved and offer better performance than before his arrival.

"Yes, we are different [from the group stages], we can have more anxiety and now we cannot make mistakes. Sometimes we are more worried or nervous and that's normal - not just for being in Brazil, but because each phase brings you closer to the final.

"I have lots of experience in knockout stages. The key is to respect the potential of Chile and also value our own. We have the ability to beat them."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uruguay without Luis Suarez - what to expect

429492_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes in Sao Paulo
Jun 28, 2014 8:19:00 AM

COMMENT: The banned star will take no part in the match against Colombia at the Maracana, but how will the South American side adapt to the loss of their striker?

Uruguayare back where they started.

Two weeks ago, they headed to Fortaleza knowing that Luis Suarez would not be available for selection against Costa Rica. On Saturday, their star striker begins a nine-match international ban while his team-mates prepare to face Colombia in the last 16 of the World Cup.

While the footage of Suarez sinking his teeth into Giorgio Chiellini continues to be shown ad infinitum on news channels all across the globe, coach Oscar Tabarez will comfort himself with the knowledge that the controversial Liverpool forward has at least left his side in a position of relative strength.

Following their shock opening defeat to Costa Rica, it would have taken a brave person to suggest the Celeste would reach this stage with six points under their belts. Yet, thanks in large part to the positive impact Suarez had before the now-infamous 79th minute in Natal, Uruguay are still in Brazil when many others have already begun their holidays.

The good news for Tabarez is that Uruguay actually beat Italy on Tuesday without Suarez having a huge say. A couple of half-chances fell his way, but at no point did he look likely to repeat his one-man show against England in Sao Paulo which had put the South Americans back on track.

Instead, it was a return to the kind of unit-inspired performance that had made the side so dangerous for years before. Throughout their run to the Copa America title, as well as their campaign in the Confederations Cup here in Brazil last year, their success had come mainly from their tactic of squeezing opposition teams with an uncompromising defence and destructive midfield.

And while the ability to unleash the magnificent front three of Diego Forlan, Suarez and Edinson Cavani transformed a system durable into an electric one, there is still evidence that Uruguay might have something to offer at the World Cup beyond Saturday.

Suarez is back in Montevideo, taking away one of their main threats, while Forlan has struggled over the past 12 months in particular to replicate his quality of years gone by – with his move to Cerezo Osaka reflecting his waning reputation.

Yet he does not have 111 international caps for no reason, and it is in exactly the kind of situation in which Uruguay will find themselves on Saturday when the ex-Atletico Madrid star’s experience might be needed most. Still, he cannot be counted on for the full 90 minutes anymore.

Abel Hernandez and Christian Stuani are also in the squad, but both remain unlikely to start. The former has yet to regain his form of a few years ago when first arriving in Serie A with Palermo and has spent the last 12 months in the second tier, while the Espanyol man netted twice in the build-up to the tournament yet struggled when starting on the right against Costa Rica.

The likelihood is that it will be Cavani carrying most of the attacking hopes, with the Paris Saint-Germain striker becoming the most potent threat that Uruguay can boast outside of set-pieces now that they are shorn of Suarez.

If Tabarez is to have a serious hope of taking this side to a semi-final or more – especially considering Brazil could stand in their way – then Cavani needs to raise his game on the big stage.

His return of 22 goals in 65 appearances at international level is hardly disappointing, but he has not exactly become known for delivering in major knockout football on the big stage in recent years.

He has twice failed to deliver from good positions in key moments of Champions League clashes against Chelsea, first for Napoli in 2012 and then for PSG this year, and replicated that weakness when Uruguay were hanging on against England.

So long as the rest of the side doesn’t crumble at the sight of Colombia as it did against Costa Rica, Uruguay stand a chance. But with Suarez gone, Cavani is now the man who must become the centre of attention if they are not to be back in Montevideo with their disgraced star sooner rather than later.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Blatter: Suarez bite was 'not fair play'

424014_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 28, 2014 1:28:00 PM

The Fifa president has criticised the actions of the Uruguay striker in biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini but refused to comment on his punishment

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has criticised the actions of Luis Suarez, saying that the Uruguay forward's bite on Italy's Giorgio Chiellini goes against the values he is trying to instil in world football.

The governing body handed Suarez a nine-match international ban and a four-month suspension from all football-related activity after the incident in last Tuesday's Group D clash.

Blatter was unwilling to comment on the punishment, but said Suarez's actions were unacceptable when it came to the general ethics of fair play in the game.

"I am fighting for fair play on the field of play and fair play off the field of play," the 78-year-old told journalists.

"But especially on the field of play and this is not fair what he has done. It's definitely not fair.

"Now to discuss the decision that has been taken by a panel of seven judges. It's not up to me to make a comment on that.

"Obviously they have taken into consideration the other incidents of this player who has already been banned in football or suspended in football for the same activity.

"I cannot say whether it is too much or too little. This is an independent decision from Fifa."

Blatter, who recently announced that he would like to run for another term as Fifa head, said that otherwise he has been delighted with how the tournament is progressing with most teams playing attacking football.

A total of 136 goals have been scored at an average of 2.83 per game.

"I'm not the only one who is impressed by that [the quality of games]" he said.

"What has changed from the former World Cups is that in the first matches in the first round, everybody wanted to win, not to not lose. The football was exceptional right up to the last matches, the third matches.

"In the third matches there are tactics to maintain a result but still it was very exciting and results [were] only decided in the last minutes of matches."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Portugal wore Ronaldo like a diamond ring they never had'

429530_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jun 28, 2014 12:08:00 AM

The Real Madrid forward has been criticised by a coach in his homeland for his failure to believe in his international team-mates

Cristiano Ronaldo has been lambasted by Manuel Jose for treating his Portugal team-mates like "subordinates" following their group stage World Cup exit.

The Real Madrid forward was diagnosed with tendonitis of the knee ahead of the tournament and was far from his best as Paulo Bento's men finished third behind USA and Germany in Group G.

And the outspoken Jose, who has coached the likes of Sporting Lisbon, Benfica and Vitoria de Guimaraes in the Primeira Liga, has now delivered a stinging critique of Ronaldo’s contribution in Brazil.

He said: “He is a fantastic player but every time he speaks he comes out with a blunder.

“He ended up saying that he never believed in the team. If he does not believe in the team, then he doesn’t believe in his team-mates.

“Portugal have been carrying the ‘world’s best’ like a diamond ring that we never had. The other players were treated like subordinates. Completely.”

Despite carrying an injury, Ronaldo still managed to score a goal against Ghana and provide a fine late assist for Silvestre Varela in the second group match against the United States.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Colombia 2-0 Uruguay: King James comes of age to book quarter-final berth

430003_heroa.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 10:51:00 PM

The Monaco star scored arguably the goal of the tournament so far as Oscar Tabarez's men were dumped out of the competition

James Rodriguez scored twice - his first a stunning volley - to fire Colombia to a 2-0 win over Uruguay and secure a place in the quarter-finals of the World Cup.

His unstoppable 28th-minute strike on the turn is arguably the goal of the tournament so far, and he followed that up with a close range effort in the second period to end the game as a contest.

Colombia dominated possession in a nervy opening, although they were mainly limited to shots from distance against a Uruguay side without star man Luis Suarez on the back of his four-month suspension.

Oscar Tabarez's men appeared content to sit deep but their resistance was broken when Rodriguez produced a spontaneous moment of brilliance to light up the match.

A lofted header back towards the Celeste penalty area was chested down on the turn by the Monaco man, who then swivelled and struck the ball first time on the volley into the top left-hand corner.

Stunned into action - with the rest of the stadium still taking in that wonder strike - Uruguay sought a swift response and Edinson Cavani found space on the left before his teasing cross was headed away by Carlos Sanchez.

Despite the improvement, Uruguay's task became even more difficult in the 50th minute as Rodriguez doubled his tally.

Colombia worked the ball from right to left and Pablo Armero put in a wonderful cross to the back post, where Juan Cuadrado unselfishly nodded the ball down and back into the path of the youngster, who swept home from close range for his fifth of the tournament.

Uruguay desperately needed a quick goal and Cristian Rodriguez forced a fine stop from Ospina with an accurate left-footed shot that would have found the top corner but for the goalkeeper's intervention, before Cavani flicked a header just over the crossbar in the 70th minute.

The Paris Saint-Germain forward went close again with a low-angled drive late on but Uruguay's pressure was comfortably soaked up, as Colombia stormed into the quarter-finals.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil 1-1 Chile (pens 3-2): Super Cesar saves Selecao from early exit

429893_heroa.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 7:57:00 PM

The hosts went ahead through David Luiz but were pegged back shortly afterwards by Alexis Sanchez and the game needed spot kicks to see Felipao's men into the next round

Brazil overcame enormous pressure to edge past Chile on penalties in their World Cup last 16 clash in Belo Horizonte on Saturday following a 1-1 draw after extra-time.

David Luiz officially opened the scoring for Brazil after Thiago Silva's flick-on from a Neymar corner, although replays seemed to suggest the ball had come off Chile's Gonzalo Jara.

But the host nation were pegged back just after the half-hour mark when Alexis Sanchez equalised following sloppy Selecao defending from a throw-in deep in their own half.

Brazil fans were then brought to their feet 10 minutes into the second half only to have their hopes of a second goal dashed after Hulk's strike was disallowed for a handball in the build-up.

Both South American sides struggled to fashion a better goalscoring chance as energy levels dropped and the game went into extra-time, when Mauricio Pinilla had the best chance to win the match for Chile by crashing a 20-yard strike against the crossbar in the 120th minute.

And so the last-16 tie had to be decided with spot kicks and it was Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar who stood out as the hero, pulling off two saves to see Luiz Felipe Scolari's men into the quarter-finals.

Three hours earlier, thoughts that a highly-charged atmosphere would simmer after the spine-tingling national anthems were quickly dispelled, as Fernandinho - starting in midfield in place of the much-maligned Paulinho - crunched into an early challenge.

Perhaps concluding that there was already enough yellow on show in the stadium, referee Howard Webb rightly kept his cards in his pocket.

Brazil started brightly, beating Chile at their own game as they pressed high and afforded their South American counterparts little space.

And after 18 minutes their endeavour brought the corner that created the opening goal, Thiago Silva flicking on Neymar's delivery to the back post - where Gonzalo Jara tussled with David Luiz. The Paris Saint-Germain-bound defender was officially credited with the goal, although replays suggested that Jara had got a decisive touch to divert the ball goalward.

Far from assuming control, though, Brazil were made to pay for some sloppiness at the back 14 minutes later, Eduardo Vargas intercepting a stray Hulk pass and sliding in Sanchez, who produced the coolest of side-footed finishes.

Suddenly end-to-end in nature, the game almost had a third goal before the break as Neymar, Fred and Dani Alves all went close.

Chile gave another reminder of their threat just prior to the interval, Alexis denied his second only by Luiz's last-ditch sliding challenge.

Another flashpoint came quickly after the restart, Brazil prevented from taking the lead when Hulk was crucially adjudged to have handled Marcelo's ball over the top, which had preceded a fine left-footed finish.

The decision was met by a cacophony of jeers from the home fans, but relief was to displace any feelings of injustice Brazil might have had a few moments later, Julio Cesar producing a stunning reactionary save to keep out Charles Aranguiz's effort following fine work from Arturo Vidal and Mauricio Isla.

Brazil continued to look dangerous at the other end, although Neymar's customary composure deserted him as he headed Alves' cross straight at goalkeeper Claudio Bravo - who was later on hand to keep out a powerful Hulk strike.

Extra time brought with it an added caginess - albeit with the exception of Hulk, who - apparently spurred on by a sense of injustice - was at the heart of everything, epitomised by a powerful effort that forced Bravo into a stop.

With Chile suddenly camped on their own box, further chances did not materialise but Jorge Sampaoli's underdogs almost snatched it right at the end of the added period - substitute Pinilla rattling the woodwork with a thunderous drive in the final minute as the hosts were afforded a huge slice of good fortune.

And it was one they took full advantage of. Brazil immediately took control of the shoot-out as David Luiz sent Bravo the wrong way and Pinilla saw his effort saved by Julio Cesar.

And, despite misses from Willian and Hulk, Jara rattled the post with the final kick to leave Neymar's cooly taken effort as the winning one.