• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Falcao to join up with Colombia squad despite World Cup KO rumours

407254_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 20, 2014 9:27:00 PM

The 27-year-old forward has not played since suffering cruciate ligament damage in January but remains in Jose Pekerman's thinking for Brazil - at least for now

Radamel Falcao will travel to Colombia's training camp in Argentina next week, despite reports that the striker is poised to rule himself out of the World Cup.

The Monaco ace suffered cruciate ligament damage during a Coupe de France match in January and it has been claimed that the 27-year-old has admitted defeat in his bid to be fit to represent his country in Brazil this summer.

However, Colombia issued a press release on Monday revealing that Falcao, who took part in squad training with his club at the end of the campaign, is still trying to prove his fitness to coach Jose Pekerman.

"Radamel Falcao Garcia will join his team-mates in Buenos Aires," the statement read.

"The Colombian striker is currently continuing his physical work with his club side Monaco."

Pekerman must trim his 29-strong provisional squad to 23 players before June 2 and it has been reported that if Falcao misses out, the forward will join Colombia's coaching staff.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Korean Team Suits Up for pre-World Cup Photo Shoot

chosun.com / May 23, 2014 10:01 KST

2014052300931_0.jpg

Players of the Korean national football team pose for a group photo in Paju, Gyeonggi Province on Thursday.

The players and coaching staff of Korea's national football team turned up in identical suits at the National Football Center in Paju, Gyeonggi Province on Thursday morning for a group photo ahead of the World Cup.

The photo shoot proved a quite formal occasion, with the players clearly excited to see their teammates looking smart instead of wearing shorts, jerseys and cleats.

The players wore tracksuits for the previous World Cups that Korea competed in but adopted a formal suit and tie from South Africa 2010.

It was designed by Korean menswear brand Galaxy in various colors, such as grey for the players and navy for the coaching staff. But under the motto of "one team," everyone wore a navy suit this time. For any casual occasions, they were also given more comfortable suits consisting of a red T-shirt and white chino pants.

Most World Cup teams have formal uniforms. Italian players wear suits made by Dolce & Gabbana while French footballers rely on the creations of Christian Dior.

Football players tend to have bigger thighs and slimmer waists than most people, which the designers at Galaxy took into account. They went to Athens in March to take the measurements of each player when the team was preparing for a friendly with Greece.

The label made six sets of suits for manager Hong Myung-bo, who has more formal responsibilities than his wards. "It took six months from designing to making the suit due to the high level of customization," said Lee Hyun-jung at Galaxy.

Designers praised midfielder Ki Sung-yueng as the best "model" given his height and broad shoulders.

The uniform was made for comfort and convenience. The fabric is flexible and elastic, making it suitable for long flights. As many players enjoy listening to music, the jacket has a hole for earphones. An inner pocket for storing a smartphone or music-playing device was made with a special fabric that blocks electric waves.

The jacket also carries the initials of the player's name and the team slogan of "One team, one spirit, one goal" in the bottom inside corner.

"I've stressed the slogan since I became manager, so all of the players know it very well. I hope they bear it in mind every time they wear it," said Hong.

"The players all feel proud of the uniform as not everyone gets to wear it," said Koo Ja-cheol of FSV Mainz 05 in Germany's Bundesliga, who was recently named Korea's captain for the World Cup.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar: I want to beat Messi in World Cup final

406586_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 23, 2014 8:16:00 AM

The former Santos star is full of ambition ahead of this summer's showpiece and feels Brazil are ready for each opponent

Brazil star Neymar is dreaming of beating Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi's Argentina in the World Cup final.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's men impressed at last year's Confederations Cup as they beat reigning world champions Spain 3-0 in the final and Neymar is hoping for a similar performance this summer.

"I shall try to play at the best of my abilities while Lionel will try to do the same. And after the match, we shall embrace each other. These two things will be there for sure, the rest is unknown," Neymar told Times of India.

"Actually, we had such conversations in the Camp Nou dressing room and I had always said that if we meet in the final, we shall be the winner. But he says the same too.

"It's really great to know such a talent from close quarters. I am really lucky."

Brazil will possibly meet Spain in the round of 16, but Neymar has stressed that the World Cup hosts will be ready for each opponent.

"These days, there is nothing unknown about your opponents. We know about them, they know about us. When you are trying to be the best, you cannot choose your opponent, can you? You have to play at the best of your abilities against each and every team. Only then you can be the best.

"They are the defending champions and they have won two European championships as well. Needless to say, they will be the best-prepared side to defend their crown. But we are ready to realise our dream too.

"We need to start it well, just like we did in the Confederations Cup. You need to be at your best rhythm from the first whistle."

Brazil meet Croatia, Mexico and Cameroon in the group stages.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lars Bender ruled out of World Cup

375312_heroa.jpg

May 23, 2014 9:09:00 AM

The Bayer Leverkusen midfielder will miss this summer's tournament in Brazil after picking up a thigh injury in training

Germany coach Joachim Low will have to make do without the services of Lars Bender at World Cup 2014 after he withdrew from the squad with a thigh problem.

The 25-year-old was the only Bayer Leverkusen player in Low's 30-man provisional squad, but Bender now misses out after picking up a knock in training.

The Nationalelf have opted against calling up a replacement for the Leverkusen star.

"If someone is forced to withdraw from the team this short before the start of the tournament, it's always very disappointing for all involved," Low commented on Bender's withdrawal.

"I feel really sorry for Lars because I know that he was determined to make it to Brazil. He is an example to follow for everybody."

Bender made his Germany debut in September 2011 and was part of the team that made it to the semi-finals at Euro 2012.

Germany meet Portugal, Ghana and USA in Group G at this summer's World Cup.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This could be my last chance to shine, admits Rooney

404941_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
May 22, 2014 8:51:00 PM

The England talisman says that he is "fully fit" for the World Cup in Brazil and hopes to show what he can do, having struggled to make an impact in previous tournaments

Wayne Rooney is determined to deliver at this summer's World Cup and admits that it could be his last chance to shine on international football's grandest stage.

The Manchester United and England frontman has been to two previous World Cups, in 2006 and 2010, though faced injury problems in the build-up to both tournaments and failed to score in both Germany and South Africa.

Having struggled to make an impact previously, the 28-year-old believes that the tournament in Brazil could be the opportune moment to prove his worth and is targeting an unlikely triumph.

"Obviously I've been here before and I've said what I can deliver and do and it hasn't happened," Rooney told reporters.

"For me personally I feel that at the World Cup in 2018 I'll be a bit older then and it will be a little bit more difficult for me to impact in the way I believe I can do.

"So I believe this is really the last big one I feel that I can get the best out of me. I feel ready and fresh and as good as I can do going into this tournament.

"I believe this is the one that I have to show what I can do and I believe I'm in the best possible condition to do that. I'm ready for it, I'm excited for it and there'll be no excuses this time.

"I believe we can go far – our aim is to win the tournament. That's what we're preparing for and that's what we're hoping for - and, with a little bit of luck, we could do it."

Rooney missed the end of the Premier League season with United through injury and was even forced to bring fitness trainers on holiday with him but insists that he is now fully fit and ready for the World Cup.

"I feel good. I'm fully fit and took part in the full session on Monday," he continued. "I have done on Tuesday and Wednesday as well so I feel good and ready to do everything.

"Obviously I missed the last few games of the season and I wanted to make sure that I was ready and available to train when the team met up.

"That was the reason behind it [bringing fitness trainers on holiday] and it certainly helped me get up to speed with it and to be able to join in with the team on the first day."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England have missed chance to win World Cup - Owen

294590_heroa.jpg

By Sam Williams
May 22, 2014 10:02:00 PM

The former Three Lions international believes the 'Golden Generation' which took part in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 finals was stronger than Roy Hodgson's current crop

Michael Owen feels England's best chance of winning the World Cup has passed for another generation.

The former striker, who retired at the end of last season, was part of three World Cup campaigns for his country in 1998, 2002 and 2006, where England were knocked out at the last 16 and twice the quarter-final stages respectively.

Argentina accounted for England’s exit at France '98 in a penalty shoot-out, while eventual winners Brazil came from behind after Owen had opened the scoring in the quarter-finals in Shizuoka, Japan four years later.

England once again tasted shoot-out heartache at Germany 2006, when Portugal held their nerve to eliminate Sven-Goran Eriksson’s men.

And former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Manchester United striker Owen believes his country could have achieved more in those tournaments, and claims Roy Hodgson's current squad is not as strong.

"In 1998 we had a strong team. It was totally different four years later, but we still had a strong team. We had what everyone called the golden generation and we had some cracking players," he told Perform.

"But as we all know in a World Cup, you get one shot at it - knockout football. Sometimes the best team doesn’t win.

"That's not to say we were the best team but we were better than Argentina when we got knocked out in 1998. We had to defend for an hour with 10 men and got beaten on penalties.

"Granted, we were not as good as Brazil when we got knocked out in Japan. It’s all ifs, buts and whys and everything else but no, we certainly had a strong team over those years.

"The current England team is probably not quite as strong. We are all keeping our fingers crossed that we can start unearthing some more top players to go and take us to these tournaments with a chance again."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Donovan left out of USA's 23-man World Cup squad

404368_heroa.jpg

By Thomas Floyd
May 22, 2014 11:19:00 PM

The U.S. national team's all-time leading scorer will not be going to his fourth finals after coach Jurgen Klinsmann omitted him from his plans

USA's all-time leading goalscorer Landon Donovan has been left out of Jurgen Klinsmann's final 23-man World Cup squad.

The 32-year-old attacker, who has scored five goals over three World Cups, appeared in just three of 10 matches in the final round of qualifying last year after taking a nearly four-month sabbatical from the sport.

Although he appeared to win back Klinsmann's trust last summer with a standout Gold Cup, for which he was named the tournament's most outstanding player, Donovan was relegated to the bench for a friendly against Mexico last month and his coach made it clear his place in the squad was not guaranteed.

However, the decision to leave him out of the party for Brazil comes as a huge shock, with Clarence Goodson, Michael Parkhurst, Brad Evans, Maurice Edu, Joe Corona and Terrence Boyd also trimmed from the 30-man roster released last week.

Among the more notable inclusions are defenders John Brooks, Timothy Chandler and DeAndre Yedlin, midfielder Julian Green, and forward Chris Wondolowski — all of whom combined to make one appearance in World Cup qualifying.

Squad in full:

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nurnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)

MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Essien: 'Quality' Ghana can reach World Cup semi-finals

363389_heroa.jpg

By Kent Mensah
May 22, 2014 9:14:00 PM

The midfielder says the strength in depth is "extremely good" for the 2010 quarter-finalists and believes the team is poised to make history in Brazil

Ghana midfielder Michael Essien believes the current squad are capable of challenging for the semi-final stage of the World Cup - and perhaps beyond.

Ghana, who became only the third African side to reach the quarter-finals in 2010, have been pitted against USA, Portugal and Germany in a hugely tough group for this summer's finals, which begin next month.

Essien is set to be part of Kwesi Appiah's plans for the tournament in Brazil after missing the finals in 2010 due to injury, and he insists the current crop of Black Stars are capable of treading new ground for African nations on the global stage.

"The squad for this tournament is the best Ghana has to offer, and the quality in depth is extremely good, especially in midfield. We have multiple options in most positions which is always a plus for any side," Essien told fifa.com.

"Our initial aim will be to get out of the group into the second round, and then take it from there game by game. Who knows? We are certainly capable of going one better and making it to the semi-finals or even finals. Anything can happen, but we are realistic enough to know we cannot aim that high from the start.

"Get the first objective of making the second round out of the way, and we will see how far we can go. It will be a journey without doubt, one we are looking forward to."

The 31-year-old AC Milan midfielder is set to make his second appearance at a World Cup finals and he believes the side have come along way since their campaign in Germany in 2006.

"I think we have done well for a nation that made its debut on the world stage in 2006," he said. "We did okay in our first outing and went one further in South Africa, and that says a lot about the players and the nation as a whole.

"Our desire to do well spurred us on in both World Cups, and I think it is fair to say we have done better than some of the nations who have been to three or more World Cups.

"Germany 2006 was very good, and we had a great time throughout the tournament. We were a young, talented group with no World Cup experience and in some way that helped us because we were fearless and had nothing to lose. Throughout the qualifiers we played very well and bonded as a team, as brothers. When we got to Germany we were ready to deliver and we did our best. I am proud to be one of the first players to be at Ghana’s first World Cup."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Croatia’s Strinic out of World Cup with hamstring injury

ZAGREB Fri May 23, 2014 12:15pm BST

r

Branislav Ivanovic of Serbia (L) challenges Ivan Strinic of Croatia during their 2014 World Cup qualifying soccer match at Maksimir stadium in Zagreb March 22, 2013. REUTERS/Antonio Bronic

(Reuters) - Croatia left back Ivan Strinic will miss the World Cup after failing to recover from a ruptured hamstring, coach Niko Kovac said on Friday.

"Unfortunately, it's bad news," Kovac told a news conference, adding Strinic would not travel to the team's Austrian training base in Bad Tatzmannsdorf.

"He is looking at another 10 days on the sidelines at least and would be ill-prepared if we'd kept in him the squad, so we have no choice but to look at the alternatives.

"I feel sorry for him because he has been part of the national team for a long time but we have to be fair to the other players who are ready to jump in, although we don’t have too many options in the left back slot."

The 26-year old defender, who plays for Ukrainian first division side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, has made 32 international appearances and was the first choice in Euro 2012.

Danijel Pranjic, the only other natural left back in the squad, is likely to fill in his slot, having come out of his international retirement in November for Croatia's World Cup playoff win against Iceland.

Pranjic had hung up his Croatia boots in September 2012 after losing his spot in the starting line-up to Strinic but reappeared for the playoffs after Strinic got injured.

The Croatians open their Group A campaign against hosts Brazil Sao Paulo on June 12, take on Cameroon in Manaus on June 18 and clash with Mexico in Recife five days later.

(Writing by Zoran Milosavljevic; Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup goal record drives Germany veteran Klose

Fri May 23, 2014 12:35pm BST

r

German national soccer player Miroslav Klose leaves a news conference in St. Martin, northern Italy, May 23, 2014. REUTERS/Ina Fassbender

(Reuters) - The title of World Cup all-time top scorer is driving Germany forward Miroslav Klose to get fit for the tournament in Brazil next month after an injury-plagued season, the 35-year-old said on Friday.

Klose, preparing for his fourth World Cup, has scored 14 goals in his previous tournaments and is joint second with fellow German Gerd Mueller on the all-time scorers' list behind Brazilian Ronaldo on 15.

"Those who know me know that this is indeed an aim of mine," Klose told a news conference at the squad's northern Italian training camp when asked whether the World Cup goal record was motivating him to get fit after back and thigh injuries.

"With one goal I am joint top. I need two to be top," said the Lazio forward. "I am on a good track. Fitness coaches here know me and know what I need. I expect to be 100 percent at the tournament."

Klose can also break Mueller's 40-year-old Germany scoring record of 68 goals before the World Cup with one goal in friendlies against Cameroon and Armenia on June 1 and June 6 which would take his tally to 69.

Germany have been drawn with Ghana, Portugal and the United States in World Cup Group G.

Klose, who first played at the 2002 tournament, is the only experienced striker in coach Joachim Loew's provisional 27-member squad with Hoffenheim's Kevin Volland the only other out-and-out forward.

Mario Gomez was not picked due to injury problems and Borussia Moenchengladbach's Max Kruse was overlooked so Klose expects to spearhead Germany's attack once again even though Loew has experimented with offensive midfielders in forward roles.

"I can also play the 'false nine' position," he said. "I will give it all in every training session. Experience or not, I will present my case in ever training so that I cannot be ignored. But I assume that I will play."

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Ed Osmond)

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van der Vaart: World Cup comes as a relief

410556_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
May 24, 2014 7:51:00 PM

The experienced midfielder endured a tough season with Hamburg as they narrowly escaped relegation from the Bundesliga and is delighted to be back with the Oranje squad

Rafael van der Vaart is happy to be in the reckoning for the Netherland's World Cup squad after a torrid campaign with Hamburg.

The Dutchman helped HSV escape relegation by the narrowest of margins, after a 1-1 aggregate draw with Greuther Furth in their end-of-season play-off saw them retain their Bundesliga status by virtue of the away goals rule.

That result meant that the club maintained their record as being the only side never to have been relegated from the top flight, and Van der Vaart explained that joining up with the national squad has come at the perfect time after a tough 2014 to date.

"It feels like such a relief after such a season with Hamburg," he told Dutch television station NOS.

"If you come to the national team, the level is higher and there players there who have won titles.

"That's why the mood is so positive, I feel really comfortable here."

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal is yet to finalise his 23-man party for the finals in Brazil but should Van der Vaart make the cut it will be his third appearance at the tournament, with the Oranje looking to go one better than four years ago, when they lost 1-0 to Spain after extra-time in the final.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez vows: I'll be ready for the World Cup

409658_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
May 24, 2014 5:54:00 PM

The Liverpool striker had surgery on a knee injury on Thursday but he is confident he will be fit to make his mark in Brazil

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has allayed fears he could miss the World Cup following knee surgery and insists he will be fit for this summer's tournament in Brazil.

The Liverpool hitman went under the knife to correct a meniscus injury on Thursday but the Uruguayan Football Association are confident "he is not ruled out".

Suarez posted a message on Twitter later that day to thank fans for their good-will messages, and on Saturday afternoon he reiterated his determination to turn out for his country in Brazil.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reus: Germany not among World Cup favourites due to heat

410373_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 24, 2014 2:28:00 PM

The Borussia Dortmund attacker says the climate will put European sides at an immediate disadvantage, but is buoyed by the news that Manuel Neuer and Philipp Lahm are both fit

Marco Reus does not believe that Germany should be considered among the favourites to win World Cup 2014 because of the heat in Brazil.

Joachim Low's side reached the semi-finals in South Africa four years ago but the Borussia Dortmund attacker feels that the odds are stacked against Die Mannschaft going all the way this time around - despite their best efforts to acclimatise in the run-up to the tournament.

"First of all, I associate with Brazil with the World Cup and football - but also the heat, which will play a major role," Reus reasoned.

"We will prepare very well and are working hard to achieve the necessary strength and conditioning.

"But the favourites? It's the South Americans, due to the conditions, which will give them an advantage."

However, Reus has been buoyed by the news that both injury doubts Manuel Neuer (shoulder ligaments) and Philipp Lahm (bruised ankle) have been given the all-clear to play in Brazil.

"They have made a very positive impression [since joining up with the squad]," he revealed. "This is very important because they are very important players for us."

Germany have been drawn in Group G alongside Ghana, United States and Portugal.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lars Bender: My dream is broken

409768_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 24, 2014 11:57:00 AM

The Bayer Leverkusen player has spoken of his disappointment after a thigh injury ruled him out of this summer's World Cup

Germany midfielder Lars Bender has admitted that a childhood dream has been broken by his World Cup-ending injury.

The Bayer Leverkusen star was widely expected to be named in Joachim Low's final 23-man squad but picked up a thigh injury during training in the national team camp in South Tyrol.

Bender has spoken of his disappointment at missing out and says he will have to spend some time away from football to recover.

"It's a dream that has been broken," he told Bild.

"I need to process it first. I have to go for a rest. I've only just left the national team. I cannot tell you how I'll deal with it. I need a couple of days of rest and distance.

"I've been preparing myself and looking forward to it forever."

Bender's injury, along with that of his twin brother Sven, has fuelled speculation that Borussia Monchengladbach's Christoph Kramer could make the trip to Brazil.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Muslera: Italy must take Balotelli to Brazil

410890_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 25, 2014 2:27:00 PM

Doubts remain over the AC Milan attacker's attitude and discipline, but the Galatasaray goalkeeper says he would love to have the forward as a team-mate

Fernando Muslera is bemused by the uncertainty over Mario Balotelli's inclusion in the Italy starting line-up, claiming the forward would grace any side at the World Cup.

Balotelli has netted 12 times in just 29 international appearances but he has developed a reputation as a volatile and ill-disciplined character and there remains some doubt within his homeland over the wisdom of relying on such an unpredictable player on the game's grandest stage.

However, Muslera is a huge admirer of the AC Milan attacker and says he should be one of the first names on Cesare Prandelli's team sheet.

"I would take Balotelli in any squad," the 27-year-old told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I would like him as a team-mate. I like him. He has character."

Uruguay, of course, have been drawn in the same group as the Azzurri, as well as England and Costa Rica, and the former Lazio goalkeeper is well aware of the threat posed to his country's hopes of reaching the knockout stages.

"They have a complete squad; strong in every department," the former Lazio shot-stopper stated.

"[Midfielder Andrea] Pirlo is a champion and [goalkeeper Gianluigi] Buffon continues to amaze: he's 36 and yet it seems like he's only 25."

However, Muslera believes that in Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani Uruguay have a strike partnership capable of firing Uruguay to glory.

"Suarez and Cavani are a spectacular duo," the Galatasaray shot-stopper stated. "One relies on strength, the other speed.

"But, above all, they they help us a lot, because Cavani is very good at coming back."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

De Rossi: I'm not afraid of 'monsters' Messi & Ronaldo

374999_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 25, 2014 1:58:00 PM

The Italy international freely admits that both players are phenomenons but insists that he would relish the opportunity to pit his wits against either attacker in Brazil

Daniele De Rossi has described Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as "monsters" - but says he would not be afraid of facing either man at World Cup 2014.

The Italy international is currently preparing for his third finals, having been a part of the Azzurri squad that triumphed in Germany in 2006 and the group that sensationally fell at the first hurdle in South Africa four years ago.

However, De Rossi has yet to have the honour of going up against either Argentina or Portugal, something that he would like to rectify in Brazil.

"I've never faced Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo in the World Cup," the Roma ace told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Maybe I will have the chance to take on these monsters this year!"

However, De Rossi would be less enamoured with the prospect of having to take on Spain again, as La Roja possess the two greatest midfielders he has ever come across.

"I don't believe that we'll meet any nations other than Brazil, Germany, Argentina or Spain in the semi-finals," the 30-year-old said of Italy's World Cup prospects.

"The stars will be the usual six or seven world-class players. I'm thinking of the likes of Messi and Neymar.

"But also players like [Andrea] Pirlo, [Mesut] Ozil and Iniesta, who always manage to pull out that little bit extra. Iniesta and Xavi and are the best I've ever played against."

Italy once again look set to build their attack around engimatic forward Mario Balotelli, who continues to make headlines on and off the field.

De Rossi, though, feels it unjust that so many people have an opinion on a player that they do know personally.

"One should get to know him in order to judge him - and I know him," the Giallorossi vice-captain reasoned.

"Also every fault he has doesn't go unnoticed, but he's one of the good ones. I've known many egotistical players but he is good-natured."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nainggolan: I deserved a World Cup place

357794_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
May 25, 2014 12:39:00 PM

The midfielder is unhappy at not being selected for the tournament following his performances at club level this season

Roma's Radja Nainggolan has expressed his frustration at being overlooked by Marc Wilmots, believing he had earned the right to play for Belgium at the World Cup.

The midfielder joined the club on loan from Cagliari in January and went on to become an integral part of Rudi Garcia's side, scoring twice in 17 appearances.

However, despite some strong displays as Roma secured a second-place Serie A finish, Nainggolan did not earn a place in the 23-man Belgium World Cup squad, prompting him to express his displeasure at the decision.

"No one's ever given me anything," the 26-year-old told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I always achieved everything myself. I deserved to be on the field for the World Cup but Wilmots has made other choices. I've played 38 games - there are some who have played 10 and are going to Brazil.

"I am someone who always fights to win. You can bring the difficulties you've had in life to the football field. To always get the best, you have to give the maximum."

Nainggolan has set his sights on Champions League football with Roma next season as compensation for his World Cup disappointment and has praised the impact of head coach Garcia at the club.

"Garcia has transformed us," he continued.

"Roma is now ready to win something. The mentality, the vision of the game he has brought to the club. In training we always work a lot with the ball and on Sundays you can see - the team plays well and we've been rewarded with results.

"This team is already strong. If we can keep the current squad together and with the return of [Kevin] Strootman [from injury], we can do well. Then playing the Champions League, some more players will come."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aguero: Messi can win Argentina the World Cup

396306_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
May 25, 2014 10:04:00 AM

The 25-year-old has tipped his international team-mate to make the difference in Brazil, while insisting he has fully recovered from the injuries that have plagued his season

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero says that he is fit and ready to team up with Lionel Messi as Argentina bid to win the World Cup.

Aguero had his domestic season interrupted by injuries but still scored 28 goals in 34 games and, though he missed City's penultimate Premier League match, returned to the starting XI for their title crowning on May 11.

With fitness no longer an issue, he is now excited to partner the Barcelona star, who he says will be key to their tilt for glory in Brazil.

"Yes, I am fully fit now," Aguero told The Times of India.

"I played the last match for my club since I was eager to help the team win the Premier League title again and now I am waiting for the World Cup. It will be a great occasion to play the biggest tournament in Brazil."

Asked if Argentina can win the trophy, he replied: "Yes, why not? We have Lionel Messi, the best footballer on earth, in our side. He led us to the top of the list in qualifiers from the most difficult zone [Conmebol] with matches to spare.

"We have an excellent forward line where [Ezequiel] Lavezzi and I will try to score more and we have wonderful midfielders to support us. We have the talent and ability to beat any side on a given day."

Some have suggested that Argentina's opponents in Group E represent a walkover for the Albiceleste but Aguero is wary of the dangers that their pool presents.

"People say [it’s an easy group]," he remarked. "But how can they? I might sound cliched but there is no easy match in the World Cup.

"We have Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran and Nigeria. Nigeria are the champions of Africa while Iran have been playing exciting football. Bosnia and Herzegovina are making their World Cup debut but they have a rich history. It will not be easy at all."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Donovan slams Klinsmann USA snub

410817_heroa.jpg

Matthew Rogerson
May 25, 2014 9:41:00 AM

The forward was left out of his nation's World Cup squad and is unhappy given the quality of his performances in a pre-tournament training camp

USA forward Landon Donovan has slammed Jurgen Klinsmann for leaving him out of his World Cup squad.

The LA Galaxy man was the most surprising name to be cut from the initial selection on Friday, denying him the chance to play in the tournament for a fourth time.

Klinsmann described the decision was one of the toughest of his career and Donovan responded by claiming that he felt hard done by.

The former Bayer Leverkusen striker, who has 156 caps and 57 international goals to his name, feels his efforts while at the pre-tournament training camp were enough to help secure a place in the starting XI.

"I think if I'm being judged based solely on what happened in camp, then I absolutely deserved to be going to Brazil," he told various media outlets after an LA Galaxy practice session.

"I think I was one of the better players in camp. If I had gone in and didn't think I deserved it then I can live with that, but that is not the case here.

"Based on my performances leading up to camp, based on my preparation for the camp, based on my fitness, based on my workload, based on the way I trained and played in camp, I not only thought I was a part of the 23, I thought I was in contention to be starting."

Donovan, the USA's all-time leading goalscorer, is responsible for one of the most iconic goals in US football history - scoring in injury time against Algeria at the World Cup four years ago to send the country through to the knockout stages as Group C winners.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hernanes: World Cup will bring the best out of Brazil

347946_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
May 25, 2014 9:21:00 AM

The Inter midfielder believes the Verde-Amarela can handle the weight of expectation this summer and win a sixth World Cup crown on home soil

Hernanes insists that Brazil's players are used to pressure and will see hosting this summer's World Cup as inspiration towards securing the trophy.

The Inter midfielder has 23 Selecao caps to his name and has been a mainstay of Luiz Felipe Scolari's second spell as national team coach, having been part of the squad that won the 2013 Confederations Cup.

Hernanes acknowledged that the Brazilian public had high ambitions for their side this summer but the players were capable of matching those expectations.

"This pressure is always on us because we are playing at the highest level," the 28-year-old told The Times of India.

"We are used to feeling it. Having said that, I want to do well in front of people of my country.

"The joy was crazy [when he was named in the squad] because it was my life dream to be part of the group. I am very happy and proud to have reached this point in my career. Brazil are already on top and now we get the chance to play in our country. This situation will bring the best out of us."

"I do hope Brazil [will win]. Look out for Argentina and Germany. It's the great schools that make a difference in a World Cup."

Hernanes has enjoyed four fruitful seasons in Serie A since moving from Sao Paulo in 2010, making 156 appearances and scoring 42 times for Lazio before moving to Inter in January for €15 million, and hopes that the Nerazzurri can be a path to greater success.

"When I came to Inter, I told myself, `I won't think of doing great things, but only work hard and things will arrive on their own,'' he continued.

"Important things have already happened: the first goal at San Siro [in a 4-1 win against former club, Lazio in May] and now, making the World Cup squad.

"With Brazil, I want to bring the same winning spirit that I have with my team-mates in Inter."

Hernanes also spoke of his adulation for Inter great Javier Zanetti, who retired at the end of the season after making more than 800 appearances for the San Siro outfit.

"Being 40-years-old, he still continues to train like he is at his peak and you always find him ready," the Brazilian added.

"All this makes me think of how many sacrifices he has made to keep this mental and physical state. During his farewell, I saw the affection and respect that the fans and club had for their captain and this motivated me further."