• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Argentina not just Messi - Queiroz

425446_heroa.jpg

Jun 20, 2014 10:15:00 PM

The Iran coach says his players need to be one step ahead of their rivals in Saturday's Group F game, but claims they won't focus solely on the Barcelona forward

By Ben Hayward in Belo Horizonte

Iran coach Carlos Queiroz says he has no specific plan to stop Lionel Messi in Saturday's Group F clash in Belo Horizonte - because Argentina also have a host of other top players in their team.

Queiroz arrived 15 minutes late to his pre-match press conference at the Mineirao in Belo Horizonte on Friday after his team were instructed to train across town at the city's Estadio Independencia.

Nevertheless, the Portuguese was given a round of applause by Iranian journalists as he took his seat in the press room, having led the Asian side to a 0-0 draw with Nigeria in their World Cup opener in Curitiba on Monday.

Iran now face a tougher test on Saturday in the form of Argentina, a game described by Queiroz as "the most important match in the history of Iranian football", and Messi.

"Argentina are a great team," said Queiroz. "We have watched them a lot and they have so much quality. It's the most important match in the history of Iranian football. We won't be the ones dictating the game, but we have come here to be ourselves - to compete and fight for 90 minutes."

The former Real Madrid coach joked earlier this week that he would ask Fifa for permission to field 14 players against Argentina and added on Friday that the Albiceleste are much more than just Messi.

"We will try to stop them," he said. "We need discipline and we need to be one step ahead of Argentina. We need to focus on the next ball, the next move, the next play.

"But we can't think about playing against Messi. We will play against Argentina, against space and against time, because those are the things we can control.

"We can't focus only on Messi because Argentina also have [Angel] Di Maria, [Gonzalo] Higuain, [Sergio] Aguero and many more great players."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Safet Susic: Dzeko is our Messi

425184_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 3:01:00 AM

Ahead of Bosnia-Herzegovina's vital World Cup game against Nigeria, the former PSG star believes his striker can make the difference

By Peter Staunton in Cuiaba

Safet Susic has talked up his striker Edin Dzeko ahead of Bosnia-Herzegovina's crucial Group F clash against Nigeria on Saturday. The Dragons' talisman failed to find the mark in the first matchday defeat to Argentina on Sunday but Susic believes that Dzeko deserves to be mentioned alongside the best players in the world.

"Dzeko is as important to us as Ronaldo for Portugal, Neymar for Brazil or Messi for Argentina," he said of the 35-goal frontman in Cuiaba's Arena Pantanal.

The Bosnian record goalscorer is the focal point of the teams attacks with Vedad Ibisevic shunted to the bench in a new-look 4-2-3-1 formation but in dropping the Stuttgart forward Susic believes he has not compromised the team's attacking mindset.

"Even when we play with one typical attacker, we never play with just one," he said. "We have in midfield players who want to go forward, wingers who always participate in attacks. In any situation we have five or six up front."

Bosnia-Herzegovina are in need of goals on Saturday as a defeat to the reigning Africa Cup of Nations holders will see their debut World Cup campaign end after only two matches. Susic, however, believes that with so many of his squad featuring at top European clubs, they should be regarded as favourites to qualify.

"We set ourselves the goal to qualify, not just attempting to do so. I expect it. After Argentina we are the best team in our group."

A 2-1 defeat to Argentina in the Maracana has left Bosnian hopes hanging by a thread as Nigeria picked up a point against Iran meaning the European side have little margin for error.

"We are in the most uncomfortable position of all the teams," said Susic. "If we lose we can pack our bags and head home. The others have a particular chance of progressing. Everyone is aware of the importance of the match."

"We have ambitions to progress out of the group. I am convinced we have not seen the last of this team. We are a team who cherishes attacking football. We want to win."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Keshi vows to 'put a smile on Nigerian faces' after difficult week

423807_heroa.jpg

Jun 20, 2014 11:08:00 PM

The Super Eagles coach faced the press for the first time since bomb blast claimed the lives of 14 Nigerians in Damaturu on Tuesday

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi pledged to restore some happiness to the country in the wake of the terror attack in Damaturu which left 14 dead and at least 26 more injured.

Fans had congregated in the city centre, the capital of Yobe state, to watch Brazil's draw with Mexico on Tuesday night. A suicide bomber steered a tricycle taxi into the crowds and detonated a bomb, according to witnesses. Police suspect terrorist organisation Boko Haram as being responsible for the attack.

Keshi believes that a positive result against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday in Cuiaba might help ease the pain currently being felt across the nation.

"It's a sad thing," he said. "It is not a pleasant thing to see people dying for no reason. Most Nigerians were not happy after we had a tie with Iran. Then after the bomb-blast, it wasn't pleasant at all. It's very tough for Nigerians.

"Our hearts go out to them. We will try to do everything possible to try and put a smile on Nigerian faces."

Nigeria drew their opening game in Group F against Iran in Curitiba on Monday and the level of performance was criticised by many back home. Keshi understands the frustrations of supporters and is looking to make amends against the Bosnians, who lost to Argentina on matchday one. A win for Nigeria at the Arena Pantanal would eliminate the debutants after only two matches.

"Nigeria is a different place. Nigerians want to win at all costs," he said. "Whatever happened against Iran, they felt that wasn't our ability. The performance of the team is the only problem they have.

"We were not satisfied with a draw. In the next game we have to do what we have to do to secure the three points. I have big respect for this Bosnia team."

Several Nigeria players were below their best against Iran, including Chelsea's John Obi Mikel, and Keshi has asked that he step up his displays.

"Jon Mikel Obi is one of our key players," he said. "We demand that he produces and he gives us what we want."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Persie urges Netherlands to top group and avoid Brazil clash

423070_heroa.jpg

Jun 20, 2014 10:00:00 PM

The Holland captain is suspended for the final Group B fixture against Chile but has urged his team-mates to finish top, while defender Ron Vlaar says confidence is growing

By Greg Stobart in Rio de Janeiro

Netherlands captain Robin van Persie has urged his team-mates to make sure they finish top of their World Cup group and avoid a last-16 clash with hosts Brazil.

The Dutch and Chile have both qualified for the knockout stages and face each other in Sao Paulo on Monday, with the Netherlands needing a draw to finish top of Group B.

The second-placed side is likely to come up against Brazil in the second round, assuming Luis Felipe Scolari’s men finish top of Group A.

Van Persie will miss Monday’s clash through suspension but has urged his team-mates not to let up after two wins so far.

“I feel it’s better for us to finish top of the group and face the better teams later in the tournament, with all due respect to the rest of the teams in the competition,” said Van Persie at the Netherlands’ training base in Rio de Janeiro on Friday.

“We just have to come first and see what happens because Brazil play after our game. We will just see what happens and take it from there.”

The Netherlands have started the tournament in impressive form, thumping holders Spain 5-1 in their opening match before qualifying for the next stage with a 3-2 victory over Australia.

Defender Ron Vlaar says that confidence is growing in the squad that the 2010 finalists can reach the latter stages of the tournament.

“The belief in our country wasn’t that big until after the Spain game but we always believed in ourselves and that’s where it starts,” said Vlaar.

“The belief in our team is growing. We have worked really hard and winning games makes it better and better. We know what we are capable of because we have forwards who change matches.”

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Marcelo: There are no easy games in the World Cup

425190_heroa.jpg

Jun 20, 2014 11:36:00 PM

The 26-year-old left-back insists Brazil won't be taking Cameroon lightly, that the hosts will continue to improve with every game and pledged his support to striker Fred

Brazil left-back Marcelo insists Brazil certainly won’t be taking Cameroon lightly when the two meet in their final World Cup Group A clash on Monday.

The Selecao opened the campaign with a 3-1 victory over Croatia before a goalless draw Mexico and now require at least a point against the already-eliminated African side in Brasilia to assure theur place in the round of 16.

"At the World Cup there is no easy game," said Marcelo.

"We know what to expect from Cameroon, they are strong and have lots of quality. We must go into the game and do our job. We always respect the opposition."

The Real Madrid defender also pledged his support to striker Fred, who is yet to find the net in the competition, and said that he is sure the five-time world champions will continue to improve with each game.

"We don’t only give the ball to Fred [to score]," he added. "It is everyone’s job.

"We still have to improve some things, but we will improve by playing.

"I felt an evolution of the first game to the second. We saw the improvement, and that is our goal."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bosnia-Herzegovina stars pay visit to Cuiaba mosque

426759_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 3:59:00 AM

Ahead of their World Cup showdown against Nigeria, three Bosnia-Herzegovina players joined in Friday prayers and mingled with the local community

Three Bosnia-Herzegovina World Cup stars paid a visit to Cuiaba's mosque on Friday ahead of their World Cup Group G match against Nigeria in the Mato Grosso capital on Saturday.

Star striker Vedad Ibisevic, Muhamed Besic and Edin Visca went to the mosque for Friday prayers and mingled with the local Muslim community. Also present was former national team midfielder Elvir Rahimic who is with the squad in Brazil.

The three players happily posed for pictures and signed autographs as locals converged on the mosque bearing Bosnian flags and demonstrating their support for the team.

Imam, Omar Omama, visited the team's hotel upon their arrival on Thursday night and invited the squad and technical delegation to the mosque for prayer.

Cuiaba's Muslim community is about 400 strong and is formed of Lebanese, Palestinians, Syrians, Egyptians as well as local Brazilians.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez: Hodgson jibes gave me extra motivation to hurt England

426247_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Jun 21, 2014 11:26:00 AM

The Three Lions boss insisted the Uruguay star needed to prove himself at the World Cup, after which he scored twice to set the country's elimination from the tournament in motion

Luis Suarez has revealed that Roy Hodgson's assessment that he must prove himself at the World Cup gave him the motivation to down England.

The striker made his return from keyhole knee surgery on Thursday night and scored two goals to leave the Three Lions without a point from their opening two group games for the first time in history.

Italy's loss to Costa Rica on Friday confirmed England's elimination and Suarez has called on Hodgson and his other critics to re-assess their opinion after "too many laughed" about his on and off-field antics.

"It wasn't revenge but in England they talked about the injury and the coach had words that annoyed me," Suarez is quoted as saying by The Liverpool Echo.

"It was one of the best games I’ve played. It’s an amazing moment for me.

"Maybe a few days ago I thought this wouldn’t be possible. Before the game too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years.

"This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now.”

Suarez is now confident he can continue performing at the highest level in light of Hodgson's comments that he is not a "true great", with Uruguay going head to head with Italy on Tuesday for a last-16 berth.

"My wife and my two children are important to me and [Uruguay physio] Walter [Ferreira] is also important. The goals were for him because of what he did for me," Suarez said.

"I have to thank him. I scored the goals but he is the man responsible for them.

"I was probably only 50 per cent fit but it is due to the work of all the fantastic doctors and physiotherapists that I was able to be 50% ready and I am thankful that that was enough to beat England.

"I have some more days to get ready for the next game now and the more I train the sharper and more ready I will be."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hodgson: I have no regrets over England exit from the World Cup

426171_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Jun 21, 2014 11:00:00 AM

The former Liverpool and Fulham boss does not feel he could have done any more as his side crashed out of the tournament following defeats in their opening two Group D fixtures

England manager Roy Hodgson has insisted he has no regrets despite the Three Lions' elimination from the World Cup after just two group stage matches.

Defeats to Italy and Uruguay, coupled with Costa Rica's 100 percent record, means Hodgson and his squad will return home after their final match on Tuesday without having made the knockout stages for the first time since 1958.

But former Liverpool boss Hodgson, who was given the Football Association's backing to lead the side until 2016, believes the young squad he selected can become a formidable outfit and does not believe he could have done any more to help them progress.

“No," he responded when asked if he had no regrets by reporters. "I absolutely believe it was the right way to do it, with these players. I do.

“I believe the team going forward will be a very good team. I think there are good young players.

"The team is evolving. It will evolve, of course. I don’t think there’s any need to doubt this England group of players will go on to do good things in the time ahead.

"I’m very low, yes. So are the players. We had high hopes, we thought we could make an impact.

"But to make an impact you’ve got to win games and we’ve lost both our games.

World Cup Infographics
Uncover the statistics behind the World Cup with our new Unibet infographic serie
"We came here well prepared. But we’ve failed. We had really big hopes we were going to make the nation proud by going far in the tournament and we haven’t done that.

"I’m proud of the way they’ve approached it and everything they put into it. I’m just devastated they got nothing out of it.

"I thought when we equalised that might be enough. But the second was a very, very bad goal to concede and Luis Suarez punished us."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ousted England are World Cup ‘idiots’ - media

FA lambasted for 'disengaged buffoonery' in declaring Roy Hodgson safe in his job so quickly

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 21 June, 2014, 9:52am
UPDATED : Saturday, 21 June, 2014, 10:04am

Agence-France Presse in London

tpbje2014062035a.jpg

England coach Roy Hodgson cuts a downtrodden and lonely figure after the defeat to Uruguay - and now the media is baying for blood. Photo: Xinhua

England were left looking like smiling idiots just happy to be at the party, Britain’s newspapers said on Saturday after their humiliating early exit from the World Cup was confirmed.

Newspapers vented anger at the Football Association, the national governing body, for giving manager Roy Hodgson the green light to carry on in charge – 35 minutes before England went crashing out of the tournament.

The Daily Mail said it was “bloody insulting” for the FA to declare Hodgson safe in his job so quickly.

Greg Dyke, “the erratic FA chairman, decided it should be the very day for him to declare his public support for his manager in what looks like a Sepp Blatter-esque display of disengaged buffoonery.

“He might as well have said: ‘Who cares about the fans anyway, I’ll just do what I want and sod the lot of you’.

The paper added: “This is as good as it gets. This is what we must expect. This is who we are now. The smiling idiots just happy to be at the party.

“Dyke talks blithely of winning a World Cup in 2022 but his is an organisation devoid of ambition.”

The Daily Telegraph said the FA should apologise to England’s fans.

“They think it’s all over. It is now. How those words haunt England,” the broadsheet said.

“The national team’s latest failure... demands an apology from the FA, Roy Hodgson and the players.

“The fans did not expect much, but they expected more than this; at least give them the inevitable pain of penalties. But this was humiliating, being turfed out of this wonderful party before they had hardly tasted their first caipirinha.”

The Guardian said the “familiar search for scapegoats and answers” was under way as it tried to work out how to apportion blame.

“England’s biggest names failed to ignite,” it said.

brazil_soccer_fifa_world_cup_2014.jpg

The face and posture says it all. Photo: EPA

Meanwhile “the Premier League paradox – its huge success as a global product having squeezed the chances of young English players – is only getting worse”.

The Times said there was a lesson to be learned somewhere in the debacle, and it was hard to argue that English football’s structure was better than Costa Rica’s.

“Some problems are not solved by money, by state-of-the-art facilities, by flooding the country with coaches,” it said.

“Some problems, such as a failure to conserve possession, are more deep-rooted. Until those issues, cultural and knotted, are solved, the country can kiss any hope of success goodbye.”

The Independent said the FA was using the only tactic it hadn’t tried yet: standing by an England boss.

However, Hodgson had the “classic demeanour of the diminished England manager: the colour drained from his skin and the grey FA suit evoked an Englishness that owed more to (1990s prime minister) John Major than James Bond.”

The Sun said it might be the end of the World Cup, but it was not the end of the world, urging readers to sing Monty Python’s “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Honduras have not lost the will to fight, insists Suarez

426756_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 21, 2014 1:38:00 PM

The Central Americans were beaten 2-1 by Ecuador to leave them on the brink of an exit from the World Cup, but their coach has vowed they will not give up hope

Luis Suarez has promised that his Honduras players will continue to fight for a World Cup last 16 spot when they face Switzerland.

The Central Americans fell to a 2-1 defeat to Ecuador on Friday, with Enner Valencia scoring twice after Carlo Costly's opener, to leave los Catrachos in bottom spot in Group E after their opening 3-0 loss to France.

To qualify for the second round, Honduras will need to beat the Swiss by a heavy margin and also rely on Ecuador suffering a big loss to les Bleus but Suarez insists that, however unlikely this appears, he has not given up hope.

"It's worth Honduras continuing to fight," the 54-year-old told a press conference.

"What we have not lost is the will to fight."

Suarez added that, despite the loss to Ecuador, he believes his side can take confidence from certain aspects of their performance.

"The good things we did give us confidence," he continued.

"But the bad things are what journalists remember. We can only do what we can. Hopefully the players have the awareness of what they have to do,"

Honduras face Switzerland on Wednesday in their final Group E game.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pjanic: Nigeria game is important for the whole of Bosnia-Herzegovina

413408_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 2:23:00 PM

The Roma midfielder insists that the players are fired up for their clash with the Super Eagles and says he will be hugely disappointed if they fail to reach the last 16

Miralem Pjanic says he is aware that their game with Nigeria is as important to supporters in Bosnia-Herzegovina as it is for the squad.

The Balkan nation ran Argentina close in their Group F opener, but fell to a 2-1 defeat after an own goal from Sead Kolasinac and an indivdual effort from Lionel Messi, despite replying late on through Vedad Ibisevic.

Pjanic acknowledged that a win in their clash with Nigeria was now essential if they are able to progress beyond the group stages in their maiden World Cup finals and stressed he would be satisfied with nothing less than the chance to reach the last 16.
"This is important, a key match," the 24-year-old told a press conference.

"We are raring to go. We can hardly wait for it. We know how important it is. If we lose, it's over. We will not let that happen. We will fight. It is an important match not just for us players but for the whole country.

"We have certain players who want to bring our national side to the very top. I play for the national side to win. I'm not satisfied with losing.

"This World Cup would be greatly disappointing if we got stuck in the group. This mentality is right. We are never satisfied. After the Argentina game, who are better than us, we were disappointed. It's the only way to make progress."

Pjanic also hailed the impact of Muhamed Besic after the 21-year-old's performance against Argentina.
"Muhamed has made a very good impression on me," he continued.

"He is a high-quality player, he means a lot to us. We are all satisfied with his efforts, the will he demonstrates, how he plays. I think that we are a much better team as a sum of all our parts and not as individuals."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am not alone in Spain camp - Alonso

424006_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jun 21, 2014 4:14:00 PM

The former Liverpool midfielder has taken a swipe at those he believes are trying to cause trouble following La Roja's abysmal World Cup campaign

Xabi Alonso has dismissed rumours he has been alienated in the Spain camp after he claimed the players "lacked hunger" following their early elimination from the World Cup.

The Real Madrid midfielder spoke out in the aftermath of the 2-0 defeat to Chile on Wednesday, a result which - coupled with their 5-1 hammering by Netherlands - meant a swift exit for the defending champions.

There have been reports the comments did not go down well with his team-mates, and fellow midfielder Santi Cazorla dismissed them out of hand at Friday's press conference.

After attempting to clarify what he meant, Alonso insisted he still had a good relationship with the other members of the dressing room.

He told Spanish radio station El Larguero: "I have not felt alone because the feeling is very similar for all my colleagues that I have spoken to.

"There are people who needed a small statement or any excuse to make a debate. The collective feeling is that we have lacked the necessary tension.

"The atmosphere is very good and I have no problem. My relationship is good with everybody."

While his own international future remains in doubt, the 32-year-old conceded Spain need a re-think ahead of the European Championship qualifying.

"We had a brilliant cycle that has made history, but now, after this defeat, we will change things," he added.

"We have been very successful but maintaining this is very complicated. We need to take as much as possible from this painful defeat."

In elimination, Spain became the fifth world champions to fall at the first hurdle. Their final group game comes against Australia in Curitiba on Monday June 23.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Argentina 1-0 Iran: Magnificent Messi strike breaks the hearts of Queiroz's men

426973_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 6:53:00 PM

Alejandro Sabella's side were frustrated by superbly resilient opposition until the Barcelona star bent home a fantastic goal in second-half injury time

A stunning strike from Lionel Messi snatched a 1-0 victory for Argentina against a spirited Iran side in Saturday's World Cup clash in Belo Horizonte.

Few would have expected Argentina, viewed as one of the favourites to win the tournament, to be given too much of a test by a team that has never gone beyond the first round of a World Cup in three previous appearances.

However, Carlos Queiroz's side, who had been criticised for their defensive style of play following their opening Group F goalless stalemate against Nigeria, produced another resolute display at Estadio Mineirao on Saturday to come within a few minutes of a highly creditable draw.

But, in injury time, it was Messi who stepped up when it mattered most, curling home brilliantly into the corner to give the South Americans a place in the last 16.

Meanwhile, Iran will head into their final group game with Bosnia-Herzegovina on Wednesday reflecting on an opportunity missed, and knowing that only victory will be enough to extend their tournament.

Argentina unsurprisingly dictated the opening stages without creating any clear-cut opportunities against an Iran defence that displayed the same determination as against Nigeria.

Gonzalo Higuain was the first to test the Iran backline after 13 minutes, but goalkeeper Alireza Haghigi showed quick reactions to race out and block the Napoli striker's effort after he had been played through by Fernando Gago.

Higuain was involved again as he linked up with Sergio Aguero inside the area, only to see the Manchester City man's curling effort brilliantly kept out by a fine diving save from Haghigi.

Aguero then headed wide from a corner as Argentina's dominance of play continued, yet Iran, with impressive commitment and organisation, did not have too much difficulty in keeping the South Americans at bay.

Iran's ability to maintain parity also owed much to Argentina's profligacy, which was demonstrated in the 35th minute when defender Ezequiel Garay headed a Messi free kick over the crossbar.

Queiroz's men were able to fashion some first-half opportunities of their own, the best of which came after 41 minutes as centre-back Jalal Hosseini turned Ashkan Dejagah's corner narrowly wide of the post.

Pablo Zabaleta went close from the edge of the area in the opening stages of the second half, but it was Iran who continued to look more threatening.

Indeed, they would have taken the lead in the 53rd minute had forward Reza Ghoochannejhad not directed his header straight at Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero following a fine break.

Iran felt they should have been awarded a penalty a minute later after Zabaleta appeared to bring down Dejagah, with replays suggesting that the South Americans had been given a let-off.

At the other end, Messi failed to find a finish after surging forward with an archetypal run from midfield and curling wide of the post.

With time running out, Romero was called into action to tip Dejagah's header over and Iran had an even better chance when Ghoochannejhad was sent clear one-on-one but saw his somewhat tired finish parried.

But just as they looked set to celebrate their famous point, Messi struck.

The Barcelona man worked space on the edge of the area before opening his body to bend a shot into the corner, as Argentina's class – and more accurately that of their captain – finally told.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi and the referee made the difference for Argentina, says Queiroz

426965_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jun 21, 2014 9:13:00 PM

The Iran boss was furious with the man in black after his side's narrow loss, but also had words of praise for the Barcelona star

Iran coach Carlos Queiroz has hit out at referee Milorad Mazic in the wake of his side's 1-0 World Cup loss against Argentina in Belo Horizonte on Saturday.

Queiroz's men somewhat surprisingly held Nigeria to a scoreless draw in their Group F opening game and appeared to be on their way to an identical result against Argentina.

That was until Lionel Messi decided the game with a wonderful goal from the edge of the box in the closing minutes of the match.

The Iran coach stressed that the Barcelona man was not the only one to make the difference, however, as he feels the referee cost his side a valuable draw - and perhaps even more - after refusing to award them a penalty following a challenge from Pablo Zabaleta on Ashkan Dejagah.

"At the end, two individuals made the difference in the game. The first was the referee and the second was Lionel Messi," Queiroz told reporters.

"We needed a fair decision there. The ref was standing from metres away from it, noticed that it was a foul, but did not do anything.

"The worst thing was the referee's level and his poor decision. I am proud of my players, though."

However, Queiroz reserved words of praise for Messi following his decisive strike toward the end of the encounter.

"In order to be the best player in the world, you will have to be a great human being as well.

"Today, we saw what a player with Messi's qualities can do. He rose to the occasion when it mattered most."

Iran currently sit third in Group F with one point from two games.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bento: I would never put more pressure on Ronaldo's shoulders

426865_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 9:38:00 PM

The Portugal coach accepts that his side are in a difficult situation following their heavy defeat to Germany, but insists the team, and not just Ronaldo, will get them through

By Sam Lee at the Arena da Amazonia

Portugal coach Paulo Bento says he is not relying on Cristiano Ronaldo to get his team out of the mire in Group G.

The Seleccao will be eliminated from the World Cup if they lose to the United States on Sunday, but Bento says he told Ronaldo from the outset of his reign that he would never put more pressure on his shoulders.

"I said it once when I arrived here [as Portugal boss]. In October 2010 I told him once and that’s it. I would never put it on his shoulders, or anybody else's, to solve our problems.

"It is down to me. The players have the collective responsibility of playing. I do not put pressure on him, I would never put on his shoulders the responsibility of solving our problems.

"We have to have a team that is sure of itself and control all the game situations – because they are playing in a difficult situation with the humidity and heat – and if we think that we can solve our problems only with the best player in the world that would be a mistake.

"What brought us here is obviously that we have the best player, but we have the players that support him, in the qualifiers, the play-off and at Euro 2012.

"We know that there are difficulties but we will not rely on one or two players, otherwise we will start packing our suitcases and go home."

Midfielder Raul Meireles backed up the message from his coach, insisting that Ronaldo is ready to play but that the rest of the squad are not relying on him.

"Cristiano is always competing to be the best," he said. "Those who know Cristiano know this, we don’t expect anything more from him, we just want him and the other players to do their best. We always work together as a team to win the games.

"I think it’s normal that everybody talks about him. We have the best player in the world and people talk about him. We are used to it and it makes us feel very proud that people pay so much attention to him."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cavani relishing Uruguay-Italy 'final'

426824_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jun 21, 2014 7:16:00 PM

The two nations meet in their final Group D match on Tuesday, knowing that only one of them can advance to the last-16

Edinson Cavani has expressed his excitement at Uruguay’s "final" against Italy next week as both sides battle to make it to the knockout stages of the World Cup.

With the two nations recording victories over England but falling to defeat against Group D's surprise package Costa Rica, the winner of the clash will join the north American nation in the last-16.

“Now a huge game awaits us,” Cavani said in an interview with Il Mattino. “Certainly it's a difficult one against Italy. We must prepare it as best we can and put in a special performance.

“It is going to be like a final.”

Cavani also took a moment to praise the Uruguay supporters, who have travelled to Brazil in their thousands to support their team.

“Our fans have been fantastic so far in the tournament.” Cavani said, “They remind me of Napoli supporters.”

The Paris Saint-Germain star was a key figure for Uruguay as they beat England in Sao Paulo on Thursday June 19, supplying the cross for Luis Suarez's opener in the first half.

Uruguay captain Diego Lugano missed the victory over England through injury, and it is unclear whether he will be fit for the final group game.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Belgium can't expect Lukaku to do it all - Kompany

425378_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 5:48:00 PM

The 21-year-old is hoping to catch the eye of potential suitors at the World Cup, but the Manchester City captain believes it would be unfair to expect too much of him

By Liam Twomey at Estadio Maracana

Vincent Kompany insists it would be unfair for Belgium to put too much pressure on Romelu Lukaku at the World Cup.

A number of strikers have already made a mark in the tournament, most notably Karim Benzema, Neymar and Robin van Persie, and Lukaku spoke publicly in the build-up to the competition about the importance of performing well as he seeks a move away from Chelsea this summer.

But as Belgium prepare to face Russia at the Maracana on Sunday knowing a win would secure them a place in the knockout stage, Kompany remains adamant that it is the more experienced squad members who must step up.

"He’s 21, so he’s probably got at least two more [World Cups] and maybe more," the Manchester City captain said. "There’s no pressure on his shoulders.

"If he performs well we’ll be happy, but the most important thing is he puts his performance for the benefit of the group.

"He’s got tremendous talent but we can’t put too much pressure on a 21-year-old kid to do it all for us in the World Cup. There are older guys in the team who have more responsibility."

Kompany has been struggling with a groin problem in recent weeks but is optimistic that it will not affect his chances of making a full contribution to Belgium's World Cup campaign.

"I followed a special programme and it went well, and if everything goes well in the group training I will not have to worry anymore," he added.

"It’s the World Cup and every game is important, and in the worst case scenario there are other good players available for the coach. But I feel good."

Belgium's clash with Russia will see Marc Wilmots pit his wits against Fabio Capello, and the former Standard Liege midfielder spoke of his respect for the Italian's career achievements.

"It could be a very tactical match," he admitted. "Capello has worked in great clubs and has a beautiful track record. We will see what he does with the line-up but it’s important for us to close the spaces on them."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Germany 2-2 Ghana: Klose moves level with Ronaldo to salvage late draw

427055_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 9:51:00 PM

The veteran is now just one goal shy of becoming the leading goalscorer in World Cup history after coming off the bench to spare his nation's blushes

Miroslav Klose scored his 15th World Cup goal to salvage a late 2-2 draw with Ghana in Fortaleza.

The veteran striker came off the bench in the 70th minute in Fortaleza on Saturday and had an almost immediate impact, prodding home at the back post in trademark fashion to take his finals tally to 15, level with legendary Brazilian Ronaldo.

After a turgid first half, the game burst into life six minutes after the break when Mario Gotze finished Thomas Muller's wonderful right-wing cross.

Knowing that defeat would leave them on the brink of elimination, Ghana were sparked into action and turned the match around through Andre Ayew's header and then Asamoah Gyan's clinical finish.

Gyan's goal sparked action from Germany head coach Joachim Low, who introduced Klose in place of Gotze, and - as he has done so often in the past - the 36-year-old showed his predatory instincts with 19 minutes left to earn his side a point.

The draw means that Germany remain top of Group G on four points, although they could be overtaken by the United States should Jurgen Klinsmann's side beat Portugal on Sunday.

Ghana fielded three changes from their 2-1 defeat to the United States and made a bright start, Gyan firing an effort over the crossbar under pressure from Per Mertesacker in the seventh minute.

Christian Atsu brought the first save out of either goalkeeper six minutes later, stinging the palms of Manuel Neuer with a 25-yard drive.

One of Ghana's alterations saw Fatawu Dauda come in for Adam Kwarasey, but the replacement keeper was not tested until the 18th minute, comfortably holding a low curling effort from Sami Khedira.

As the first half wore on, Ghana became more assured, Sulley Muntari thumping in a piledriver from 30 yards which Neuer had to repel with a flying save high to his right 12 minutes before the break.

The Germans went ahead six minutes after the interval, Gotze nodding Muller's pin-point cross home in unusual fashion - via his knee - from 12 yards with Dauda motionless.

Ghana were behind for just three minutes though, Ayew glancing in Harrison Afful's right-wing delivery to bring his side level for the second game in succession. And nine minutes later the African side had turned the match on its head.

Philipp Lahm, usually so reliable on the ball, squandered possession for the Germans and after a perfectly weighted pass from Muntari, Gyan whipped a finish across Neuer and into the net for his fifth World Cup goal, the joint highest tally for any man representing an African nation, along with Cameroon's Roger Milla.

As Germany pressed for an equaliser, they left themselves susceptible on the counter-attack. Substitute Jordan Ayew raced away down the left before firing a weak shot at Neuer with his team-mates better placed.

However, with an upset looking to be on the cards, Klose stepped up to the mark.

The Lazio man brought Germany level with 19 minutes to play, reacting first to prod the ball home at the far post after Benedikt Howedes had glanced on Toni Kroos' left-wing corner.

Klose even spurned a late chance to win it, wasting a golden opportunity to claim the landmark outright when he fired wide from the edge of the box in the 90th minute.

But it was still enough to earn him a place in the record books, and his side a point, although there were worrying scenes for Low at the end with Muller bleeding profusely at the final whistle after banging his head against the shoulder of John Boye late on.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klose equals Ronaldo's World Cup goalscoring record

418842_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 9:29:00 PM

The 36-year-old striker came off the substitutes' bench and scored for Germany against Ghana to seal his place in the history books

Germany attacker Miroslav Klose has equalled Brazil legend Ronaldo's World Cup goalscoring record following his tap-in in the 2-2 Group G draw against Ghana.

Since his last World Cup in 2006, Ronaldo's record tally of 15 goals in the competition had remained untouched, but Klose has now levelled at last in his fourth World Cup participation.

The experienced forward started the encounter on the bench, but was brought on minutes after Germany went 2-1 down against the Africans and immediately made an impact.

The Lazio striker netted five goals at the 2002 World Cup, five times four years later, four in 2010 and now once during this summer's showpiece.

Ronaldo amassed his strikes across three tournaments, in 1998, 2002 and 2006 - and lifted the famous trophy once along the way, 12 years ago this summer.

qXXLbX4.jpg

Klose, 36, was level on goals with compatriot, Gerd Muller, who starred in the 1970 and 1974 tournaments and boasts an incredible ratio of 1.08 goals per World Cup games.

Just two strikes adrift of the two all-time leading goalscorers is former France star Just Fontaine - who found the back of the net 13 times during the 1958 tournament. That remains a record haul for goals in a single edition.

With 12 goals in four World Cups between 1958 and 1970, Brazil legend Pele is a prominent figure in the top 10, and was the star as his country lifted the trophy three times in that period.

A goal further back, two players are on 11, in the shape of Hungary great Sandor Kocsis and Germany hero Jurgen Klinsmann, who will of course take charge of the USA in Brazil.

The final three places in our list are occupied by another German, Helmut Rahn, in 1954 and 1958, former England striker Gary Lineker and one of Argentina's most lethal hitmen of all-time, Gabriel Batistuta.

All three players scored 10 World Cup goals, but their places could be under threat if David Villa (eight goals) or Diego Forlan (six goals) enjoy a particularly fruitful summer in Brazil.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

USA reveal Ronaldo plans

52168_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jun 21, 2014 8:08:00 PM

The 29-year-old was nullified in the defeat to Germany, and the Stars and Stripes are hoping to do the same when they come up against the Real Madrid star on Sunday

Kyle Beckerman has revealed the USA are leaving no stone unturned in their bid to stop Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of their clash with Portugal.

The two sides will collide at the Arena Amazonia in Manaus, but are coming off the back of very different results.

The Stars and Stripes could advance to the last-16 with a win, following a 2-1 victory against Ghana in their opening Group G match.

On the other hand, Portugal are fighting to stay in the competition, following their 4-0 defeat against Germany in their opening group game.

Cristiano Ronaldo is again expected to start for the Seleccao, despite ongoing problems with tendinitis in his knee, and Beckerman says the USA have special plans in place for the Real Madrid man.

"So far it's just been about watching their team," he began, "We'll get into tiny details and things like that when it gets a bit closer but we all know it's going to take 11 of us completely focused.

"We're going to have to know exactly where he is at all times while we're attacking. That's when he can be most dangerous, because if you lose the ball the next thing you know it's in the back of your net.

"That's how dangerous he is. We're going to have to be aware of him at all times and be really clean with the ball.

Beckerman’s partner in the centre of midfield, Jermaine Jones, then spoke about the prospect of sealing progression to the knockout stages with a game to play.

"We'll do everything and try everything to win this game,” he said.

"So if we win the game and they lose it we can say that they are out of the tournament so I'm 100 percent sure that they will try everything to win it.

"We have a lot of respect for the players they have in their team but we know if we win that game, we are already through to the next round so we'll be concentrating 100 per cent on that game."