• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

We´re sorry - Ancelotti

31 August 2014

622387header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti apologised after Real Madrid's loss to Real Sociedad and promised things would improve.

Suggestions that Real are lacking balance following the sales of Angel di Maria and Xabi Alonso were given further weight on Sunday as the European champions surrendered a two-goal advantage in a remarkable encounter on Sunday.

Things appeared rosy initially as a dominant start saw Ancelotti's men create a glut of chances, moving 2-0 ahead by the 11th minute thanks to goals from Sergio Ramos and Gareth Bale.

But it was the opportunities spurned that proved most important as David Zurutuza's double, backed up by goals from Inigo Martinez and Carlos Vela, earned Sociedad a remarkable 4-2 triumph.

Ancelotti was understandably frustrated afterwards, saying: "The match wasn't easy. It was like two matches. The first half-hour was easy. We thought the match was over.

"We did not have a good defensive system to maintain our two-goal advantage. We defended very badly.

"We are very sorry. I am sorry. I don't like seeing the team play like this. We must change our attitudes as well as our concentration.

"This is my responsibility. Something must change and will change."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia closing in on Guarin

444561_heroa.jpg

By Cesar Hurtado
Sep 1, 2014 17:27:00

The Colombia international appears to be on his way out of Inter and could continue his career in La Liga

Valencia are closing in on the signing of Inter midfielder Fredy Guarin on a one-year loan deal with a commitment to buy the Colombia international for a transfer fee between €15 million and €20m.

The Primera Division outfit are keen to add some fresh blood to their midfield before the transfer window closes on Monday and they see the 28-year-old Guarin as a valuable addition to their squad.

Guarin was close to leaving Inter for Juventus last season, but the deal eventually fell through as both sides failed to reach an agreement.

The former Porto man then signed a new contract with Inter until June 2017, but the Giuseppe Meazza outfit remained keen to sell Guarin for the right price.

Guarin now seems destined to continue his career at Valencia after the Spaniards eventually agreed to the inclusion of an obligatory buy clause in the loan deal.

The only remaining talking point is the transfer fee, with Valencia initially hoping to lure Guarin away from his current club for €15m, whereas Inter had set a €20m asking price.

Both clubs are ready to move toward a fee somewhere in the middle, however, and it appears to be only a matter of hours before the deal is done.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real confirm Hernandez signing

1 September 2014

622921header.jpg

Real Madrid have signed Javier Hernandez on loan from Manchester United with an option to buy, the Spanish club have confirmed.

Hernandez will spend the 2014-15 season at the Santiago Bernabeu, after a deal was finalised on Monday.

An official statement from the European champions read: "Real Madrid C. F. and Manchester United have reached an agreement for the loan of Javier Chicharito Hernandez, who will be at the club throughout this season.

"Real Madrid have the option to purchase the player.

"Javier Chicharito Hernandez will appear before the media in the Santiago Bernabeu press room today at 16:30 [15:30 BST]."

The signing of Hernandez adds further depth to a Real side bursting at the seams with attacking talent.

And while it is almost certain that the Mexico international will play a supporting role to the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema and James Rodriguez, the club's packed fixture list could give him several chances to shine.

Hernandez has made just two appearances for United this season, both coming in defeats.

He started the club's 2-1 opening-day loss to Swansea City at Old Trafford but was hauled off at half-time, and he did little to convince new United manager Louis van Gaal in last week's shock 4-0 League Cup defeat to third-tier outfit MK Dons.

The striker joined United in 2010 from Guadalajara and quickly established himself as a fans' favourite.

He scored 19 goals in 44 appearances in all competitions in 2010-11 as the Old Trafford outfit won the Premier League and reached the UEFA Champions League final.

Hernandez weighed in with 10 goals in each of the 2011-12 and 2012-13 Premier League seasons but managed just four top-flight goals last term in a campaign that saw him make only six starts.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico complete Cerci capture

1 September 2014

623189header.jpg

Atletico Madrid have completed the signing Alessio Cerci from Torino after the Italy forward passed a medical.

The Spanish champions announced on Sunday that they had agreed a deal with the Serie A side to take Cerci to the Vicente Calderon on a three-year-deal.

And the former Fiorentina and Roma man has now finalised the details of his transfer to Atletico, making him their eighth signing of the transfer window.

Cerci's move to the Spanish capital strengthens an Atletico attack that has undergone a rebuild following the departure of last season's top scorer Diego Costa to Chelsea.

Centre forwards Mario Mandzukic and Raul Jimenez have already arrived in the transfer window, while Antoine Griezmann was brought in to provide a creative threat from the left-wing.

The 27-year-ol Cerci, who is thought to have cost €16million (£12.6m), scored 13 goals in 37 Serie A appearances last term and was part of Italy's squad at the World Cup.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

No worries for Munir after calf scare

1 September 2014

623175header.jpg

Barcelona forward Munir El Haddadi has been given the all-clear to join up with Spain's Under-21 squad.

Munir sustained a calf injury during Sunday's 1-0 win over Villarreal, making way for Neymar in the 59th minute.

But scans carried out on Monday morning confirmed that the 19-year-old has only suffered bruising and no muscle damage.

Munir joins up with his country's under-21 side alongside club team-mate Sergi Roberto for games against Hungary and Austria.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ter Stegen & Vermaelen boost Barcelona

451646_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Sep 2, 2014 16:49:00

The goalkeeper has been out of action with a back injury since last month, while the Belgian has only just recovered from the hamstring problem that plagued him at Brazil 2014

Barcelona summer signings Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Thomas Vermaelen could soon be in a position to make their Liga debuts after training with the first team on Tuesday.

The injured duo have missed the opening two rounds of the 2014-15 season but might be available to coach Luis Enrique after the upcoming international break.

"German keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen was able to train normally for the first time since picking up a back injury on August 15 and the medical services have declared that he is fully recovered," read a statement on Barca's official website.

"Thomas Vermaelen was able to train with his new colleagues for the first time, albeit only for part of a session."

Vermaelen, who joined Barca from Arsenal for €19 million, has been struggling to shake of a hamstring injury sustained on international duty with Belgium at this summer's World Cup.

Meanwhile, Ter Stegen took a blow to the back during a training session shortly after his arrival from Borussia Monchengladbach for €12m.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid fear lengthy absence for Khedira

436074_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Sep 2, 2014 22:26:00

The Germany international has suffered thigh damage in training and could be facing a significant stint on the sidelines as a result

Real Madrid are set for a fresh spell without Sami Khedira after the midfielder suffered a thigh injury.

The 27-year-old picked up a problem in his left thigh in training in Madrid shortly before departing to join up with the Germany squad for their international clashes over the next week, according to the German Football Federation.

Both Madrid and the DFB have since confirmed that Khedira has undergone scans on the problem which kept him out of training with Joachim Low's side.

The Bernabeu side claim, however, that the player suffered the problem while with the Germany squad, contradicting the statement from the DFB, which said the injury occurred before he joined up with the camp.

Initial reports in Germany and Spain suggest the player could be out for six to eight weeks, although neither the world champions nor Madrid have confirmed the severity of the injury as yet.

Germany take on Argentina in a friendly on Wednesday before beginning their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign against Scotland on Sunday.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico can achieve great things this year - Cerci

419817_heroa.jpg

Sep 3, 2014 17:28:00

The Italy international says he is "honoured" to be given the "opportunity" to play for Atletico and hopes to reach new heights with the Spanish champions

Alessio Cerci says he hopes to "achieve great things" with his new club Atletico Madrid.

The Italy international arrived at the Vicente Calderon from Torino on a three-year contract on Monday and could make his debut against local rivals Real Madrid on September 13.

The former Roma and Fiorentina forward spent two years in Turin, but says he is delighted to have made the move to Spain and is "honoured" that the club have given him the "great opportunity" to play for them.

"It is my honour to be here. Atletico are a constantly evolving team who always want to win and have a big project," he told the club's official website.

"I am very proud to be at this club. On a personal level I hope to play and prove myself.

"Atleti has given me a great opportunity and I hope we have a successful season and, on a personal level, I hope to play and prove my worth.

"With the help of my colleagues I hope to show my talent as I have done in the past, and do the right things to help the team.

"From the first training session I wil lgive my all and show who Alessio Cerci is. I'll always give 100 per cent so that we can achieve great things.

"This is a great team and they've proved it. I hope my arrival contributes something more to this group.

"It is impossible not to be aware of the history of Atletico in recent years, especially after the deserved league title last season against such strong teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bierhoff blasts Madrid over Khedira injury

451658_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 15:47:53

The 46-year-old has alleged that the Liga club knew about the midfielder's thigh problem before he went on international duty

The German Football Association's technical director Oliver Bierhoff has blasted Real Madrid over their failure to appreciate the severity of Sami Khedira's thigh problem.

Los Blancos released a statement on Tuesday claiming that the midfielder had picked up the injury while on international duty.

However, Bierhoff has now hit back, alleging that Madrid knew about the muscle issue before releasing the player to link up with the world champions.

“The player already had problem when he travelled to Germany," the 46-year-old former striker told Bild.

"And what’s more, he had already been examined by doctors in Madrid. They didn’t consider it to be a serious injury!

"After that, Khedira decided to consult a reliable doctor here [and he] diagnosed a muscle tear."

Khedira, who helped Germany win this summer's World Cup, is now expected to be out of action for between six and eight weeks.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

James: I have a great relationship with Ronaldo

446906_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 17:44:01

The Colombia international, who joined Los Blancos from Monaco this summer, says that he has formed an instant friendship with the Portuguese

James Rodriguez has revealed that he has already struck up a rapport with Real Madrid team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo and says that he hopes the pair get to play alongside one another for years to come.

The Colombia international only arrived in the Spanish capital this summer, having joined the reigning European champions from Monaco for a reported €80 million.

However, James says that he has little trouble settling into his new surroundings at the Santiago Bernabeu, thanks in no small part to the Ballon d'Or winner.

“I’ve formed a good relationship with him and I hope that we can be together for a long time,” declared the 23-year-old.

"But all of the players are very humble, which is why they are there and why they are great players."

James, of course, was signed on the back of his sensational exploits at this summer's World Cup, with the 23-year-old bagging the Golden Boot after netting six times in just five games.

He thrived in an attacking midfield role for Jose Pekerman's side but it remains to be seen whether he will be allowed to occupy his preferred position for Madrid.

James, though, insists that he does not mind where he is deployed by Carlo Ancelotti, insisting that he is willing to be fielded in a more withdrawn role if needs be.

"I'll play where the coach wants and I'll be happy there," the former Porto man stated.

James has scored one goal in his five competitive outings for Madrid so far this season.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi making 'considerable improvements' in injury recovery

448418_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 19:58:23

Barcelona have released a statement to confirm the player looks set for a return to action soon after picking up the problem in the win at Villarreal

Barcelona's Lionel Messi is making "considerable improvements" in his recovery from a groin strain.

The attacker was forced to withdraw from the Argentina squad for Wednesday's friendly against Germany, which ended in a 4-2 win for the South Americans over their World Cup final conquerors.

Messi picked up the injury during last weekend's 1-0 La Liga win at Villarreal, and Barcelona issued an update on his condition on Thursday.

"The Argentina national team doctor, Daniel Martinez, and others from the FCB Medical Services have evaluated the groin strain sustained by Leo Messi during last weekend's league fixture away to Villarreal," read a statement.

"Both parties agreed that there have been considerable improvements, and the player will continue doing specific recovery exercises until he is ready to resume normal training with the rest of his team-mates."

Barcelona will be keen to have Messi back in contention for the start of their Champions League campaign, which kicks off at home to APOEL on September 17.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

James Rodriguez voted sexiest man of 2014

430030_heroa.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 10:27:15

The Colombian's stratospheric rise to stardom - in which he outscored everyone at the World Cup this summer - has seen him been named the hottest person on the planet

James Rodriguez has been voted the sexiest man of 2014 following his World Cup heroics and estimated €80 million transfer to Real Madrid.

People En Espanol magazine awarded the title to the Colombia superstar, who recently launched his own range of branded underpants, after going from promising talent to global superstar overnight by grabbing the Golden Boot in Brazil this summer.

James' wife insisted that his personality is what makes the attacking midfielder so alluring, not necessarily his boyish good looks - though it probably also helps that he earns more in a week than most people on the planet earn in a year!

BwuIPUjIMAIXf5b.jpg

"He's a very attractive man," Daniela Ospina said. "But what I most like is the way he is, his personality. It's what I really love."

Meanwhile, James' mother insists that fame has not gone to the 23-year-old's head and that he remains humble about his talent on the football pitch.

"He is still the same," Maria del Pilar Rubio added. "What characterises him most is his humility, "

Past winners of the English language version of the award include Hollywood actors Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Johnny Depp, Matt Damon and Ryan Reynolds.

The 'sexiest man on the planet' tag now gives James bragging rights in the Santiago Bernabeu dressing room over Cristiano Ronaldo, although the new Madrid player still has some way to be considered hotter than his Ballon d'Or-winning team-mate on the pitch.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez: Di Maria and Alonso sales have not weakened Real Madrid

452903_heroa.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 17:39:48

The Atletico Madrid midfielder says the new Bayern Munich signing is "the benchmark" in his position but has now doubts over the strength of Carlo Ancelotti's side

Atletico Madrid's Mario Suarez insists city rivals Real Madrid remain as dangerous as ever despite the sales of Angel Di Maria and Xabi Alonso.

Having secured big-money moves for Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez, European champions Madrid sanctioned the respective departures of Di Maria and Alonso to Manchester United and Bayern Munich during the transfer window.

The sale of two of Real's stars of the 2013-14 campaign, in which Real won the Champions League and Copa del Rey, was met with some criticism by supporters.

However, midfielder Suarez - whose Atleti side meet Real in the Madrid derby when La Liga resumes after the international break - stated that Carlo Ancelotti's men remain a huge threat.

"[Real] Madrid are still playing well. They have lost important players but great players have signed," he told AS.

"They can mix direct football with possession football. Against a team like this you can't make any mistakes.

"For me Xabi Alonso has always been a benchmark , one of the best midfielders in the world. They have bought Toni Kroos, who is a great player. They're both very good.

"Angel di Maria is gone, but James Rodriguez is there. That's Madrid's advantage, they've not been weakened and they will keep fighting for everything."

Atleti surprised many last season by breaking the domestic dominance of Real and Barcelona by lifting the Liga title for the first time since 1996.

Suarez insists that the team have no intention of letting up following their success, adding: "It was very nice to make history but that is already behind us.

"We are judged by what we do from now on. We started well, with a trophy [the Supercopa de Espana] and in the league we have four points from a possible six.

"Historically this has been a big club. There was a time when things didn't go right but since the coach [Diego Simeone] joined we have been accustomed to playing big games and competing with the best.

"We believed we could win that title and most people didn't. But it went well."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Real Madrid asked me not to play in the World Cup final so I tore up the letter' - Di Maria

448674_heroa.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 00:10:00

The Argentine says he ignored his club's request after picking up an injury and claims he has never been on good terms with Florentino Perez

Angel Di Maria has taken a spectacular swipe at former club Real Madrid, claiming the European champions did not want him to feature for Argentina in this summer's World Cup final.

The former Benfica winger completed a €75 million move to Manchester United in August after helping his national team to the final of the showpiece in Brazil, where they were beaten by Germany.

Di Maria inspired Madrid to the Champions League and Copa del Rey last term but found himself surplus to requirements after the signings of Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez, and he has now revealed his frustrations with the club began in the summer, when they requested him not to risk aggravating an injury sustained during the finals.

"I got a letter from Madrid that arrived at 11:00 on the day of the [World Cup final] asking me not to play," he explained to America & Closs.

"We were playing at 16:00 and I was preparing myself to be in the best condition, knowing that I could have got injured. As soon as I go that letter, I ripped it up. I did not care, no matter what.

"I talked with coach Alejandro Sabella and it was his decision. I didn't want to pressure him. I knew I could have to come off after 15 minutes and left the team in trouble, I didn't want that."

Madrid president Florentino Perez and coach Carlo Ancelotti have both indicated that Di Maria requested to leave the club this summer, but the player himself has refuted the claims and says he has never had a professional relationship with Perez.
"I saw what he said. To be able to earn what Cristiano earns I would have had to have been the best player at the World Cup or won the Ballon d'Or," he continued.

"It looks like Perez gave that offer to another person. I don't have a clue who he offered that to. I don't have a working relationship with him. When I signed a new deal he wasn't there either.

"I never said I wanted to leave Real Madrid, I never wanted that, but you have to move on when they don't want you. Let them say what they want about me, the millions they received for selling me will help the Real Madrid economy a lot."

Cristiano Ronaldo has been vocal in his support of Di Maria in the wake of his Bernabeu exit and the 26-year-old believes the Portuguese star may also move on in the coming years after he expressed a wish to return to Old Trafford one day.

"Cristiano was always on my side," he continued. "He fought for me to stay. I don't know how long he will stay at Madrid."

Di Maria is looking forward to the challenge at hand at Manchester United, however, saying he wants to restore the club to their former glories.

"I was having a good time in Spain, so the change will have its toll. I have to adapt to my new team-mates, but I hope it will be as quick as possible.

"I want to score goals and get United back to where they should be. I'm very happy to be in Manchester."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid post record revenue to top sporting rich list for 10th consecutive year

444572_heroa.jpg

Sep 5, 2014 23:11:50

President Florentino Perez confirmed the club made a turnover of €603.9 million for the 2013-14 season while reducing net debt by 21 per cent

Real Madrid have posted record revenue figures to ensure they top the rich list for sporting institutions for the 10th year in a row.

Club president Florentino Perez confirmed that a general meeting of the directors will take place on September 21 but was eager to reveal the staggering financial statistics of the world's richest club at the Santiago Bernabeu on Friday.

Madrid generated a total turnover of €603.9 million in the 2013-14 season, an increase of 10.9 per cent on the previous campaign, while their net profit has increased by a further 44% to €38.5m.

Perez also stated the club's net debt has fallen by more than 21% to just over €75m, while a total of €167m was contributed to state tax and national insurance policies.

"For the tenth consecutive year, we will be the highest earning sports institution in the world, and for the third consecutive year, Forbes considers us the most valuable club in the world," Perez said to reporters.

"For me, being chairman of Real Madrid is an honour, but running this wonderful club is a responsibility and we should never forget that, after 112 years of history, Real Madrid still belongs to its members."

Madrid broke the global transfer record in the summer of 2013 when they signed Gareth Bale for €100m, while they spent a further €120m this summer to bring James Rodriguez, Toni Kroos and Keylor Navas to the club.

The European champions have recouped a significant amount of transfer spending through player sales, with the departures of Mesut Ozil and Angel Di Maria alone combining to generate more than €100m over the past 12 months.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo: I'm 100 per cent behind Perez

452924_heroa.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 17:09:47

The Real Madrid star insists his comments about the club's summer transfers were misunderstood and says the current squad is supremely strong

Cristiano Ronaldo says he is "100 per cent" behind Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and claims his comments on the club's transfers were "misunderstood".

The Portugal star suggested he did not agree with Madrid's decision to offload Angel Di Maria and Xabi Alonso this summer, who were moved on to accommodate new signings Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez.

Di Maria, who joined Manchester United for €75 million, had also claimed he had opted to stay at Santiago Bernabeu in the past due to the friendship he struck up with Ronaldo.

Perez himself moved to state that there were "zero" disagreements with the 29-year-old and the forward himself has now stressed he is more than happy with the current squad.

He wrote on Twitter: “My comments were misunderstood. I heard what the president had to say yesterday and I’m with him 100%. The new team mates are the best! And with them we have completed a great squad. Hala Madrid!”

Ronaldo is currently recovering from a knee complaint and will miss Portugal's opening Euro 2016 qualifier against Albania.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Casillas will bow out with dignity, says Fabregas

425793_heroa.jpg

Sep 8, 2014 12:49:00

The midfielder believes the 33-year-old still has a future with La Roja despite haven recently gone through a "a very delicate time" at Real Madrid

Cesc Fabregas has backed Iker Casillas to continue to be Spain's first-choice goalkeeper for the foreseeable future and believes the 33-year-old will only leave the national side when he thinks the time is right.

The Real Madrid shot stopper was heavily criticised after some unconvincing performances at the World Cup and was dropped in favour of David de Gea for last week's international friendly against France.

Nevertheless, Fabregas believes Casillas still has a future with Spain.

"To me, Iker seems committed and dedicated," Fabregas was quoted as saying by AS.

"We all know that he went through a very delicate time at his club but here with the national side he looks happy and settled.

"For his character, he’s the kind of player who will make his exit with dignity when he feels it’s time to call it a day.

"But that moment hasn’t arrived yet. He seems fine to me."

Casillas is Spain's most-capped player with 156 international appearances.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Javier Hernandez will excel at Real Madrid, says De Gea

451217_heroa.jpg

Sep 8, 2014 14:26:00

The Manchester United goalkeeper is confident that his team-mate, loaned to Los Blancos, has what it takes to make an impact in Carlo Ancelotti's star-studded squad

Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea is confident that Javier Hernandez will be a hit at Real Madrid.

The Mexico international has swapped Old Trafford for the Santiago Bernabeu on a season-long loan and now faces competition for places against the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema.

Despite this lofty company, De Gea is confident that his colleague will make himself useful to head coach Carlo Ancelotti.

"He is a great person – one of the best people I have met in football," the goalkeeper told Marca of Hernandez.

"He will do very good things in Madrid. He doesn't play very often but he scores a lot of goals."

Hernandez joined United in 2010 from Guadalajara and quickly established himself as a fans' favourite.

He scored 19 goals in 44 appearances in all competitions in 2010-11 as the Red Devils won the Premier League and reached the Champions League final.

Hernandez weighed in with 10 goals in each of the 2011-12 and 2012-13 Premier League seasons but netted just four top-flight goals last term in a campaign that saw him make only six starts.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tuesday September 9 2014

Atleti, Valencia weigh up Mata bid

mata-juan-close490ai.jpg

By Football Espana staff

Both Atletico Madrid and Valencia are weighing up a move for Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata in January.

A report in the Express has it that the La Liga pair are willing to offer around €30m for the Spanish international, although they could face competition from Juventus, who would prefer an initial loan deal followed by an option to buy.

Mata was signed by former United boss David Moyes from Chelsea during the transfer window at the beginning of this year, but the 26-year-old’s place in new boss Louis Van Gaal’s starting line-up is thought to be under threat after the club’s summer spending spree.

The former Chelsea and Valencia player’s first-team chances could be further hampered come January as Van Gaal is understood to be planning a swoop for Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico Madrid hit by Rodriguez blow

454334_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 18:51:33

The Uruguay international has suffered a muscle injury in his left leg and is a doubt for the derby against Real Madrid on Saturday

Atletico Madrid may have lost Cristian Rodriguez from their wide options to a calf injury ahead of this weekend's city derby with Real Madrid .

The Uruguay winger suffered the setback while on international duty this week, limping out of his country's 1-0 win over South Korea just 24 minutes into the contest.

While an Atletico statement did not put a timeframe on Rodriguez's injury, he immediately becomes a major doubt for Saturday's Liga clash with the Champions League holders at the Santiago Bernabeu.

It read: "The Atletico midfielder retired injured in the encounter between South Korea and Uruguay.

"Medical tests have determined he suffered a calf injury in the left leg.

"The player has today undergone medical tests in the FREMAP Majadahonda clinic. The diagnosis has determined that the Uruguayan is also suffering a hamstring injury, which is still being monitored."

Rodriguez may not have been at the forefront of coach Diego Simeone's thoughts for this weekend's match regardless as the winger has featured in just six minutes of action across Atletico's opening two games of the Liga season.