• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martino: Difficult for Messi to leave Barcelona

19 November 2014

736655header.jpg

Former Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino feels it would be very difficult for Lionel Messi to leave the club after rumours over his future.

Argentina captain Messi was coy over his future during an interview with newspaper Ole in his homeland this week, stating his desire to remain at Barca before adding cryptically that "things don't always work out as you want them to".

Messi agreed a new contract earlier this year and had been expected to stay at the Camp Nou until retirement.

And Martino, who now coaches Messi at international level, believes the four-time world player of the year is unlikely to move.

"When you see the connection he has with Barca I think it would be very difficult for him to leave the club," he said after Argentina's 1-0 friendly defeat to Portugal on Tuesday.

"However, when you see the options out there in the world, the big teams where he would fit in perfectly, then I think it’s possible.

"But I definitely think he should be happy where he plays his football.

"I've never spoken to him about the issue and everyone does what is best for themselves."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico hit by Miranda injury blow

19 November 2014

737127header.jpg

Atletico Madrid have confirmed defender Miranda has suffered a grade two injury to his hamstring.

The Brazil international went off injured after just 28 minutes of Tuesday's 2-1 friendly win over Austria in Vienna, prompting fears the centre-back was set for a spell on the sidelines.

International coach Dunga looked to play down fears over a lengthy absence but Atletico confirmed the extent of the injury on Wednesday.

"Miranda has undergone an MRI that has determined he has a grade II muscle injury to the left hamstring," the club confirmed via their official Twitter account.

The Spanish champions have not yet revealed when they expect the defender to return.

However, Diego Simeone is almost certain to be without Miranda for Saturday's La Liga clash with Malaga and the midweek visit of Olympiacos in the UEFA Champions League.

The 30-year-old has has featured 16 times in all competitions for the club this term, scoring three times.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bergara pleased with Moyes impact

19 November 2014

736871header.jpg

Real Sociedad coach David Moyes has brought an improved intensity to the club, according to long-serving midfielder Markel Bergara.

The Scot was brought to San Sebastian earlier this month for his first managerial role since his ill-fated tenure at Manchester United following the departure of Jagoba Arrasate.

Moyes endured a difficult only season at Old Trafford in 2013-14, but has been entrusted with turning around fortunes at the Anoeta, starting with Saturday's trip to Deportivo La Coruna.

And having trained under the former Everton boss for around a week, Bergara explained that he has brought fresh impetus to the Sociedad camp.

"At the moment they are harder sessions and there is a lot of focus, intensity, getting stuck in and pressurising opponents," Bergara told a news conference.

"They've been short but intense and we've enjoyed them. I get the feeling the new coach is looking forward to the challenge and has come in with some very clear ideas.

"He knows what he wants from us and has already got to know us. He wants us to be on top of our rivals and that's what we've been working towards."

Bergara also explained there was no problem in terms of language between Moyes and his squad.

"We understand the basic theories and for other things we have the services of a translator, but it hasn't proved to be a barrier," he added.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Moyes, Sociedad visit Deportivo La Coruna

19 November 2014

736559header.jpg

David Moyes takes charge of Real Sociedad for the first time in a key La Liga trip to Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday.

The former Manchester United manager was appointed on an 18-month deal in his first job since being sacked at Old Trafford in April.

Moyes has been welcomed by Sociedad players, with the team sitting 15th having upset Atletico Madrid last time out.

Sociedad midfielder Markel Bergara, who insisted the language barrier was no issue, has been impressed by the Scot.

"I think he's come here with a lot of enthusiasm and with very clear ideas," he told a news conference on Tuesday.

"He knows what he wants from us, he's shown that he knows us very well and I think he's working on a very particular style of play, which requires a lot of intensity.

"That's how he's shaping things in the training sessions."

Sociedad (nine points) have as many points as 19th-placed Levante, making their meeting with Deportivo La Coruna - who are 17th - vital.

Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid face another La Liga test on Saturday as Sevilla look to challenge Barcelona.

In the lead up to his team's clash against sixth-placed Malaga, Simeone has been dismissing speculation surrounding his future.

The Argentine insisted he was happy at Atletico, who sit fourth in the table after winning seven of 11 matches.

Top two Real Madrid and Barcelona are also in action on Saturday.

League leaders Real should be too good at Eibar as Carlo Ancelotti's men aim for a 14th straight win in all competitions.

Cristiano Ronaldo has already netted 18 league goals this season.

A win and Real's lead at the top could grow, with Barca hosting Sevilla.

Luis Enrique's men have suffered two losses in their past three La Liga outings and enter the clash after a week that included star Lionel Messi hinting he may leave the club at season's end.

Sevilla sit fifth despite being winless in their past two league matches.

Mid-table sides Athletic Bilbao and Espanyol start matchday 12 on Friday when they meet at San Mames, while Rayo Vallecano host Celta Vigo.

Valencia, sitting third and just three points adrift of top spot, visit Levante on Sunday.

Elche and Cordoba are in the drop zone ahead of their meeting, while Villarreal are looking to end a three-match winless league run when they host Getafe.

Granada and Almeria complete the matchday on Monday.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

No January transfers for Real, says Ancelotti

20 November 2014

737783header.jpg

​Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti insists that they will not be dipping into the transfer market to replace injured midfielder Luka Modric.

Modric has been ruled out for three months after suffering a torn thigh muscle in Croatia's Euro 2016 qualifier with Italy.

However, Ancelotti is adamant Real have the resources to cope with the setback and are not in need of January reinforcements.

"No [Real will not be buying in January], because we are able to replace Modric," Ancelotti told Radio Nacional de Espana.

"We have other important players for this type of situation.

"Last year we had the same problem with the injury to [Sami] Khedira. We'll fix it by putting in another midfielder.

"We have the option of replacing him with Khedira, [Asier] Illarramendi and finally, we have the option of Isco, who does not have the habit of playing in the position but I think he can do it in some games.

"We have [Alvaro] Medran, a youngster from the Castilla who is doing very well and we like him. He may be an option at least to be with us."

Leaders Real return to La Liga action on Saturday when they visit Eibar.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alcacer returns to Valencia with hamstring injury

20 November 2014

737961header.jpg

Valencia striker Paco Alcacer has returned from international duty with Spain nursing a hamstring injury, the Liga club have confirmed.

Alcacer played the full 90 minutes for Spain in their 3-0 Euro 2016 qualifying win over Belarus last Saturday but did not feature in Tuesday's 1-0 friendly defeat to Germany.

The 21-year-old has scored four goals for Valencia this season but is now likely to miss out on Sunday's derby with city rivals Levante after his club confirmed he had sustained a grade one injury to his right hamstring.

Alcacer's prospective absence could see Alvaro Negredo - who has made only three substitute appearances in the league since joining Valencia on loan from Manchester City - lead the attack this weekend.

Third-placed Valencia are seeking to keep in touch with leaders Real Madrid following an encouraging start to the season.

They will also be aiming to atone for a 2-0 loss at Levante in last season's corresponding fixture.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico Madrid v Malaga: Jimenez targets domestic run after Mexico brace

20 November 2014

737805header.jpg

Raul Jimenez feels his display for Mexico proves he is ready for Atletico Madrid's first team, starting against in-form Malaga on Saturday.

The 23-year-old forward has found the going tough in La Liga since joining the Spanish champions for a reported €10million fee from Club America in his homeland during the last transfer window.

Jimenez has started just three matches and scored one goal in La Liga and the last time he was afforded minutes on the pitch came as a substitute in the 3-1 loss at Valencia at the start of October.

However, he impressed in Mexico's 3-2 friendly defeat in Belarus on Tuesday, twice putting Miguel Herrera's team in the lead in the second half.

And Jimenez is confident that he can show the same kind of form at club level for Diego Simeone's side.

"He [Simeone] told me I've got to be patient, relaxed, and he shows me in training what I've got to do to get minutes on the pitch," Jimenez told reporters.

"If I've got to redouble my efforts then I will, which is what I've always done in my career.

"Being picked for Mexico has helped to prove I am able to do things and that I'm ready for whatever is around the corner and I can do well."

Atleti return to domestic action after the international break seeking a swift response to a 2-1 defeat to Real Sociedad in their last league outing.

Simeone is set to head into the game without centre-back Miranda, who injured his hamstring in Brazil's 2-1 win over Austria on Tuesday, while winger Jesus Gamez (nose) is doubtful and Guilherme Siqueira is suspended after being sent off against Sociedad.

In Malaga, fourth-placed Atleti welcome one of the league's form teams and five straight Liga wins have left Javi Gracia's men in sixth spot.

Part of Malaga's success has been down to a strong defence, with only Barcelona having conceded fewer league goals.

Atleti need no reminding of the difficulty that Malaga pose, having been held to a 1-1 draw in the corresponding fixture last season in May.

And left-back Vitorino Antunes says the team are heading to the capital determined to claim all three points.

"Atletico are a very good team from a tactical point of view, so we need to stay on our toes," he told the club's official website.

"They are the current champions, we know it will be difficult and we have respect for our rival, but we want to defeat Atletico."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eibar v Real Madrid: Leaders eye 14th win in a row

20 November 2014

737921header.jpg

Eibar face the daunting task of attempting to stop Real Madrid's 13-game winning run at Estadio Municipal de Ipurua on Saturday.

Carlo Ancelotti's side have soared to the top of the Liga table on the back of a run of eight consecutive victories in the Spanish top flight and will be expected to extend that sequence in their first league encounter against Eibar.

Real have also taken on all comers in the UEFA Champions League and the Copa del Rey and Ancelotti will be eager for his side to carry on where they left off before the two-week international break.

Eibar must find a way to halt the charge of a side that has scored 37 goals during their winning streak in the league and holds a two-point lead over Barcelona after 11 matches.

Saturday's encounter will be Ancelotti's 50th at the helm of the Madrid giants in La Liga and the Italian has to decide who will replace midfielder Luka Modric.

The Croatia international has been ruled out for three months after undergoing surgery to resolve a thigh injury, with Sami Khedira, Asier Illarramendi and Isco vying to replace him.

Khedira captained Germany in their victory over Spain in Vigo on Tuesday and could get the nod to feature alongside compatriot Toni Kroos, despite constant speculation over the former Stuttgart man's future.

Eibar have made a good fist of the challenge of playing in La Liga for the first time and sit in mid-table having suffered only one home defeat.

It would be a major surprise if they manage to deny Real yet another victory, but captain Mikel Arruabarrena knows Eibar must approach the game with no fear.

The striker said: "We will try to make it difficult for Real Madrid. It will not be easy because Real Madrid is in a very good time.

"We are keen to arrive on Saturday, it will be a unique experience, Ipurua, with the field full and against one of the best teams in the world, which is in one of the best moments in recent years."

He added: "If you went out with fear, bad start. Give respect, they are the best players in the world, but the fear must be left in the locker room."

Arruabarrena heads into the game on the back of three goals in his last two matches, including a double in a 3-2 victory at Rayo Vallecano.

Eibar have drawn their last three home matches and would undoubtedly take another point this weekend.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona v Sevilla: No divided loyalties for on-loan duo

20 November 2014

738217header.jpg

Gerard Deulofeu and Denis Suarez will get a chance to show Barcelona what they are missing when Sevilla travel to Camp Nou on Saturday.

Barca coach Luis Enrique sent Deulofeu out on a season-long loan to Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan in August after the attacker returned from spending the 2013-14 campaign at Everton.

Deulofeu spoke of his "shock" that he had been allowed to make another temporary move away from Camp Nou, but vowed to make the most of the opportunity to play in La Liga at Sevilla.

The 20-year-old will come up against his parent club this weekend and Denis Suarez will be in the same boat after he moved to the Andalusian outfit on a two-year loan deal as part of the transfer which saw Ivan Rakitic join Barcelona.

There will be no divided loyalties for Deulofeu when he lines up against Barca this weekend though, as he aims to consign Luis Enrique's side to a second successive home defeat.

He told Sevilla's official website: "I'm in line with Denis, as I said earlier in the season. I do not talk much Barca because I am in Sevilla, I do not need to talk about another club.

"Today my club is Sevilla. I'm focused on Sevilla. I'm learning here and next year it will have to happen.

"I am prepared, it is a special week but let's try to get three points as in any other game, it's complicated but we will do everything possible to pull it off."

Deulofeu, who has scored one goal in seven Liga appearances for Sevilla, is relishing the opportunity to work under Unai Emery and is determined to become a regular fixture in the starting line-up.

He added: "I am learning a lot with Emery. I like how he plays at Sevilla. I'm happy, I want to play more minutes, but slowly."

Rakitic will come up against Sevilla for the first time since leaving the club to sign a five-year deal with Barca.

The Croatia international spent three and a half years at Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, scoring 32 goals in 149 appearances, becoming club captain and a firm fans' favourite.

Rakitic has scored twice in 10 games in the Spanish top flight since arriving in Catalonia and played his part as Luis Enrique's side put back-to-back defeats against Real Madrid and Celta Vigo behind them by beating Ajax and Almeria before the international break.

Luis Enrique will be hoping Andres Iniesta, Jeremy Mathieu (both calf) and Rafinha (thigh) are passed fit. Sergi Roberto is available to return after recovering from a groin problem.

Fifth-placed Sevilla, who will move above Barca in the table with a win, will assess Benoit Tremoulinas (toe) and Vicente Iborra (muscular injury), while Stephane Mbia is available to return from suspension.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Athletic Bilbao 3 Espanyol 1: Aduriz back with a bang

21 November 2014

739733header.jpg

The returning Aritz Aduriz inspired Atletico Bilbao to a drought-breaking 3-1 victory over Espanyol at San Mames on Friday.

Espanyol had won on their last two visits to Bilbao and were unbeaten in seven meetings between the sides.

However, Sergio's men were second best on this occasion as Aduriz, back from a short lay-off with a hamstring injury, enjoyed a successful return to action.

The experienced striker scored one goal and set up another to put Athletic in control at the break, before Ander Iturraspe rifled home a superb third from distance with 12 minutes remaining.

Iturraspe's strike put the result beyond doubt and Victor Sanchez's 84th-minute reply represented little consolation for an Espanyol side that remains just two points above the bottom three.

Athletic enjoyed the better of the first half and came close to claiming an early lead when a left-wing corner from Markel Susaeta flicked off an Espanyol head and drifted narrowly wide of the far post.

Another Susaeta corner led to the opener in the 29th minute, as Aduriz escaped the attention of Espanyol's defenders to head goalwards from 12 yards. His effort deflected off Christian Stuani and left Kiko Casilla - who made his debut for Spain in the recent international break - helpless.

Casilla was fortunate not to concede a penalty when he clattered Aduriz on the left of the area, but another Athletic goal arrived with a minute of the first period remaining.

Aduriz slipped a perfectly weighted through ball into the path of Borja Viguera, who prodded an instinctive first-time shot past Casilla with the outside of his right boot.

When Iturraspe fired in a 25-yard strike off the inside of Casilla's left-hand post, there was clearly no way back for Espanyol.

However, Sanchez at least got the visitors on the scoresheet when he converted a cutback from substitute Salva Sevilla.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

No room for error against Malaga - Simeone

21 November 2014

739415header.jpg

​Diego Simeone has warned Atletico Madrid there is "no room for error" as they look to get back to winning ways against Malaga.

The defending La Liga champions suffered their second top-flight defeat of the season to Real Sociedad immediately before the international break, and host a Malaga side who are high on confidence on Saturday.

Javi Gracia's team have won their last five La Liga outings and sit just two points adrift of fourth-placed Atletico.

And Simeone knows his side will need to be at their best if they are to bounce back from their 2-1 reverse in San Sebastian.

"We have no room for error, we must treat the game like a final," said the Argentinian.

"They have been doing well for a while.

"We can see their results and we also know they stopped Barcelona playing well [in a 0-0 draw in September].

"They have a very strong offensive unit, much technical ability and experience on the pitch."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Moyes sees Everton similarities at Sociedad

21 November 2014

739063header.jpg

David Moyes has drawn comparisons between Real Sociedad and Everton as he prepares to lead his new club for the first time.

The Scot took charge at Anoeta last week, making his return to football management following an ill-fated spell as Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United.

Moyes' reign starts at Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday, and the 51-year-old believes the job that lies ahead is similar to the one he took on at Everton, where he spent 11 years from 2002 to 2013.

"There's a lot of similarities between this club and Everton when I took over Everton," he told Sky Sports. "They are maybe just at the wrong end of the table [Sociedad sit 15th].

"Obviously, I can see things what need to be done and redeveloped which we did at Everton. It took time to do so but I have got to say in the end at Everton we got a really good club and good players and hopefully the same will happen here."

Moyes has worked without bringing in his own staff since taking the reins at the La Liga club, but says he will be looking to change that sooner rather than later.

"I have said already I am going to have to bring in staff," he continued. "I am going to bring in people with me, because I need it. I need it for my work. I have been on my own really.

"I need to get people to help me with all the other things which came with the job, but I just felt for a few weeks I wanted to do it on my own."

The former Preston North End boss also expressed a desire to learn from a new culture, adding: "I want to go back with more knowledge when I do go back to Scotland or England. I do want to go back with a knowledge of a different culture.

"I had a really good feeling about this, I really did - a good feeling coming to Sociedad. I have always wanted to work abroad."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

DC Comics challenge Valencia over 'Batman' crest

319469_heroa.jpg

Nov 21, 2014 20:44:52

According to the American publisher, the Spanish side's latest logo is too similar to images they own related to 'The Caped Crusader'

DC Comics, the creators of the famous superhero 'Batman', are locked in a trademark battle with Valencia over the Liga club's new crest.

A bat has been a part of the Spanish side's badge since their foundation in 1919.

However, DC Comics believe that Valencia's latest logo infringes upon copyright laws related to two of their previously registered Batman-related symbols.

Consequently, the American publishing company lodged an official complaint with the European Union's trademark authorities.

Indeed, BBC Sport is reporting that DC Comics submitted an 11-page opposition document in May of last year.

Valencia's association with the bat reportedly dates back to the 13th century, when it was reclaimed by King James I of Aragon.

According to legend, when the monarch was about to re-enter the city, a bat landed on the top of his flag.

Viewing this as a good omen, King James allegedly decided to incorporate the image of a bat into his coat of arms.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: No talks over Messi future

21 November 2014

739213header.jpg

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique says he has not spoken to Lionel Messi over comments he made regarding his future.

Argentina captain Messi was coy over his future during an interview with newspaper Ole in his homeland this week, stating his desire to remain at Barca before adding that "things don't always work out as you want them to".

Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu has since insisted Messi is happy at Camp Nou, and Luis Enrique says his star attacker has no case to answer.

"I've always heard Leo saying he is happy at Barcelona," he said. "I'll take the message that he is very comfortable here. These are the statements that interest me.

"I have not talked to Leo about his statements. I have always heard that things are great at Barcelona [for him]."

Barcelona host Sevilla in La Liga on Saturday, but remain without midfielder Andres Iniesta (calf). However, Luis Enrique is hoping to welcome him back to the first-team fold soon.

"It's much better," added the coach on Friday. "He has participated with us yesterday and today.

"We do not have a medical discharge but are waiting for him to return to help us out."

In addition to the positive news regarding Iniesta, Luis Enrique will also be able to call on Jeremy Mathieu (foot) and Rafinha (muscle) after both recovered from their respective injuries.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Khedira or Isco will replace Modric - Ancelotti

21 November 2014

739321header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti says he is undecided over whether Sami Khedira or Isco will replace the injured Luka Modric this weekend.

Modric has been ruled out for three months after suffering a torn thigh muscle in Croatia's Euro 2016 qualifier with Italy, but Ancelotti has ruled out bringing in a new midfielder in January.

Real visit Eibar in La Liga on Saturday, and the Italian is torn between Khedira and Isco having narrowed his options down to two.

"I have not decided," he said. "I have two options.

"Khedira is one choice and the other is Isco. I'll see in training if Khedira is in good shape, if not, I'll pick Isco.

"The injury [to Modric] is very important. We do not know when we can return.

"He is now in a recovery process. Modric is a very important player but we have a very competitive squad."

Khedira may finally get his chance to shine having been heavily linked with a move away from the club during the close-season, and Ancelotti says the German is now happy in the Spanish capital.

"He's confident and wants to stay here," he added. "He does not want to leave Real Madrid and has told me personally.

"We will try to renew his contract, but I think it is not the time to talk about this issue.

"Over time this situation will be arranged. His physical condition is now quite good. He played against Spain [with Germany] and did well."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane ban overturned

408962_heroa.jpg

Sam Williams
Nov 21, 2014 18:26:23

The Frenchman was handed a three-month suspension for coaching without holding the requisite qualifications, but has been granted an exception

Zinedine Zidane can resume his coaching duties with Real Madrid Castilla after his ban was overturned on Friday.

The Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) competition committee suspended Zidane last month after deciding the legendary Real and France playmaker did not hold the requisite qualifications for the role.

The 42-year-old took charge of the club's B team in the close-season after serving as first-team boss Carlo Ancelotti's assistant last term, but Spain's national association of coaches reportedly filed a complaint to the RFEF on the basis that he only carries a Uefa A licence.

In the Spanish system, that represents the equivalent of a Level 2 qualification - one below the requisite grade required to manage in the Segunda B division.

Apparently in anticipation of a potential problem, Real officially named Zidane's right-hand man Santiago Sanchez - holder of a Level 3 license - as the Castilla head coach in the close-season, but it is commonly known that the Frenchman is in charge.

Real immediately came out in vehement support of one of their greatest ever players, insisting they would "pursue every available legal avenue" to get the RFEF's decision reversed on the basis that he has the equivalent necessary qualification in his homeland.

The case then reached Spain's Administrative Court for Sport (ACS), with the body agreeing to suspend Zidane's punishment while the appeal process took place.

And an official statement released by Real on Friday revealed that the ACS has opted to overturn the RFEF's sanction.

"Real Madrid CF communicates that the ACS has considered the appeal presented by the club, which would allow the Real Madrid Castilla manager and assistant coach, Santiago Sanchez and Zinedine Zidane respectively, to carry out their professional activities."

Zidane is now free to coach Castilla in their trip to Tudelano on Sunday.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Real Madrid, Barcelona win big

22 November 2014

740939header.jpg

Real Madrid and Barcelona were both resounding victors in La Liga action on Sunday, while defending champions Atletico Madrid also won.

League-leading Real extended their winning streak after they swept aside Eibar 4-0 at the Ipurua Municipal Stadium.

Cristiano Ronaldo bagged a brace, while James Rodriguez and Karim Benzema were also on target as Real won their 14th consecutive match in all competitions and stayed top of the Spanish summit by two points.

Rodriguez headed Real into a 23rd-minute lead to put the European champions on their way to a 36th Liga victory under Carlo Ancelotti in his 50th game in charge.

Ronaldo doubled the visitors' lead from close range two minutes before half-time as he scored in the 11th successive Liga game.

Benzema scored for the fifth league game in a row and Ronaldo netted a late penalty following a hand ball by Raul Albentosa to take his Liga tally for the season to 20 and add gloss to Real's dominant performance.

Bitter rivals Barcelona are two points adrift of the league leaders after Lionel Messi helped dismantle Sevilla 5-1.

Messi became Liga's all-time leading scorer with a hat-trick at Camp Nou, taking his tally of Spanish top-flight goals to 253 to move past Telmo Zarra's record of 251 that had stretched back to 1955.

The Argentinean star opened the scoring via a free-kick in the 21st minute, placing it into the top-left corner of the net.

Sevilla, who dropped to fifth as a result of their loss, were back on level terms two minutes into the second half after Vitolo's cross was turned in by Barca full-back Jordi Alba.

Normal service was resumed two minutes later, however, Neymar steering home Xavi's free-kick with a glancing header.

Ivan Rakitic got in on the action against his former side, when he headed in Luis Suarez's cross with 25 minutes left to play.

Messi slotted his second in the 72nd minute before completing the scoring six minutes later, firing low past Sevilla goalkeeper Beto.

Atletico moved ahead of Valencia into third provisionally following their 3-1 win over in-form Malaga 3-1 in a match that saw both teams finish with 10 men.

Malaga travelled to the capital on the back of five successive league wins, but Javi Gracia's side struggled throughout the first half, with Tiago heading Atletico ahead before Antoine Griezmann doubled his team's lead in the 42nd minute.

Roque Santa Cruz pulled one back for Malaga with 26 minutes to go but Atletico sealed all three points seven minutes from time as centre-back Diego Godin nodded in the third from close range.

Samu and Gabi both saw red for second bookable offences in the final 17 minutes.

Meanwhile, David Moyes' coaching debut with Real Sociedad ended in a goalless draw at fellow strugglers Deportivo La Coruna.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Valencia suffer derby defeat, Rayo Vallecano beat Celta Vigo

23 November 2014

742023header.jpg

Valencia lost ground in the chase for the Liga title in a shock 2-1 derby defeat at Levante on Sunday.

The Mestalla outfit came into the weekend third in the Spanish top flight, but were unable to get the better of their near neighbours as they slipped to fourth.

Victor Casadesus' 58th-minute header prompted jubilant scenes among the home fans at Estadio Ciudad de Valencia, but that joy was tempered when Dani Parejo slotted home to pull the visitors level 17 minutes from time.

However, Valencia were on terms for just one minute, with Jose Luis Morales cutting inside from the right wing to curl in a superb left-footed winner from the edge of the penalty area.

The victory - Levante's third of the season - lifts Lucas Alcaraz's men out of the bottom three, while Valencia are now six points adrift of leaders Real Madrid.

Rayo Vallecano also picked up a valuable three points - emerging as 1-0 victors from their clash with Celta Vigo.

Alberto Bueno scored the only goal of the encounter by getting his head to a whipped Gael Kakuta cross to divert the ball beyond goalkeeper Sergio Alvarez.

Mario Gaspar and Gerard Moreno gave Villarreal a 2-0 half-time advantage on their way to posting a 2-1 victory over Getafe.

Mehdi Lacen's 20-yard strike shortly after the hour mark proved to be a mere consolation for the visitors, who saw their hosts bring an end to a three-match winless run.

Elche came from two goals down to rescue a 2-2 draw and deny Cordoba an important victory in the battle against relegation.

The two sides remain in the bottom three, but it could have been different for Cordoba, who saw Fidel and Federico Cartabia give them a comfortable lead after Jonathas had missed a sixth-minute penalty at Estadio Manuel Martinez Valero.

Elche hit back through a David Lomban penalty, before Jonathas atoned for his earlier error by converting a superb left-footed volley to ensure a share of the spoils.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vermaelen could require surgery

24 November 2014

742701header.jpg

Stricken defender Thomas Vermaelen could require surgery to cure the hamstring injury that has denied him a competitive Barcelona debut.

Vermaelen is yet to feature for Barca since making an estimated €19million (£15m) switch from Arsenal in August due to the problem, which he picked up while representing Belgium against Russia at the World Cup.

Though he has returned to training numerous times, the club's doctors are yet to clear him to play.

Barca's sporting director Andoni Zubizaretta confirmed Vermaelen is once again undergoing medical tests and was not able to rule out the 29-year-old going under the knife.

"We are in the process of recovery," Zubizaretta said.

"The evaluation will come from the medical services and they will decide what to do.

"We do not know yet if Vermaelen will need surgery, but we must do what is best for him."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ter Stegen reveals Barcelona concerns

493041_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Nov 24, 2014 09:06:42

The goalkeeper has yet to make his debut in La Liga, but remains determined to convince Luis Enrique of his qualities

Marc-Andre ter Stegen has admitted that having to settle for a spot on the bench at Barcelona so far this season has not been easy for him.

The Germany international joined the club from Borussia Monchengladbach in the summer transfer window, but has only featured in the Champions League.

Head coach Luis Enrique has preferred Claudio Bravo as his No.1 goalkeeper in La Liga and Ter Stegen has acknowledged his lack of playing time is worrying him.

"My current situation is not easy for me," the 22-year-old told Kicker.

"I have to be patient, though. I am doing my utmost to prove myself on the training pitch and make things hard for the coach.

"I have put in some good performances, but people always remember the bad moments. Mistakes are only human, though. Manuel Neuer, Iker Casillas and Roman Weidenfeller also make mistakes.

"But everybody in the team knows they can rely on me and they can always give me the ball.

"Everything is a bit different here. One player has won a number of Ballons d'Or, others have won European and world titles and are world-class players. I didn't need long to adapt."

Ter Stegen has kept two clean sheets in four Champions League appearances.