• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

312275_thumb.jpg

Manchester City confirm injured Demichelis out for six weeks
The club's new signing has undergone a scan which has revealed knee ligament damage but the Argentina international does not need surgery on the injury

306224_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas: 'Intense' Bale pressure forced Real Madrid move
The 35-year-old has called for the transfer window to close sooner after claiming the Welshman left Spurs with no choice but to sell their star player

312304_thumb.jpg

Flamini delighted to be 'back home'
The Frenchman rejoined the club on a free transfer following his release by AC Milan and explains that it feels as if he has never been away

313685_thumb.jpg

Willian: Chelsea move always on the cards
The Brazilian says other clubs were interested in signing him during the summer transfer window but that he was always likely to end up at Stamford Bridge

273704_thumb.jpg

Ozil's arrival is a gift for Arsenal, says Mertesacker
The Germany international could not hide his excitement over his former Werder Bremen team-mate's arrival at the Emirates and expressed his honour at being handed the captaincy

304079_thumb.jpg

Defiant Rio Ferdinand insists Manchester United can win it all this season
The veteran defender believes the Red Devils are still good enough to complete a clean sweep of trophies

254562_thumb.jpg

Roberto Martinez wants new contract for Manchester United target Baines
After rejecting a bid from the Red Devils for the 29-year-old over the summer, the Everton manager is now hoping to secure his star left-back's long-term future at Goodison Park

312032_thumb.jpg

Navas: Casillas would be a great addition for Manchester City
The goalkeeper has been linked with a move away from Real Madrid after falling down the pecking order and his international team-mate would love to see him at the Etihad Stadium

310833_thumb.jpg

Nani pens five-year Manchester United contract
The 26-year-old's future looked in doubt over the summer but, with one year remaining on his current deal, the winger secures his stay at Old Trafford, signing until 2018

312816_thumb.jpg

Carrick welcomes Fellaini competition at Manchester United
The England international is happy to see the £25.7 million Belgian join the Red Devils, seeing the move only as an incentive to work harder to retain his first-team place

312073_thumb.jpg

Top four a 'very realistic target' for Liverpool - Hamann
After keeping Luis Suarez and attracting a number of new players, the former Germany midfielder believes that his old club are not far from launching a Premier League title charge

313396_thumb.jpg

Hamann: Ozil signing no guarantee of Arsenal title challenge
The former Liverpool star believes that the Gunners have landed one of the best players in Europe, although he is still to be convinced that they are ready to compete at the top

304604_thumb.jpg

Van Persie: It is great working with Moyes at Manchester United
The Manchester United star insists he is happy working with the new Old Trafford manager, despite reports suggesting the striker is struggling with Sir Alex Ferguson's successor

313466_thumb.jpg

Playing for Everton will help World Cup dreams, says Lukaku
The 20-year-old striker made a deadline day loan move to Goodison Park from Chelsea, and says more game time this season will help his chances of selection for Belgium next summer

313396_thumb.jpg

Sagna thrilled by Arsenal's Ozil capture
The right-back hopes the Gunners' new club-record signing will be able to replicate the form he showed at Real Madrid when he plays in the Premier League for the first time

303559_thumb.jpg

'I decided to stay at Chelsea' - David Luiz claims he rejected Barcelona offer
The Primera Division holders had made a €25.5 million bid for the Brazilian, with the Blues demanding double, but the centre-back did not want to leave Stamford Bridge

311432_thumb.jpg

Eriksen: Only Tottenham approach felt right
The Denmark international says that he was drawn to White Hart Lane by "the whole package" and he intends to fight for his place in the first team as the club expects

255109_thumb.jpg

Essien and Fletcher omitted from Champions League squads
The Chelsea and Manchester United veterans are the highest-profile names to fail to make the cut as the Premier League's top teams finalise their group-stage rosters

312594_thumb.jpg

Bale 'understood' tough Tottenham stance
The 24-year-old admits that the summer was stressful as he waited for his move to Real Madrid but was always confident of securing a switch to the Spanish giants

310063_thumb.jpg

Rooney reveals extent of head injury which forced Manchester United & England absence
The striker posted images of the severe cut on his forehead that has kept him sidelined, which was caused by a collision with Phil Jones during a training session on Saturday

301088_thumb.jpg

Cahill backs England No.1 Hart to bounce back
The Chelsea defender has tipped his Three Lions team-mate to return to top form after a difficult spell, and says the team will not get complacent when they take on Moldova

313203_thumb.jpg

Atletico Madrid new-boy Alderweireld reveals Liverpool snub
The former Ajax man says Brendan Rodgers' approach came too late as he has already decided to move to La Liga and sign a four-year deal with Atleti

312646_thumb.jpg

Herrera denies reaching agreement with Manchester United
The 24-year-old admits he is flattered by the interest from the Premier League champions but insists he is happy to stay with his current club

313187_thumb.jpg

Rodwell eager to impress Pellegrini
The midfielder struggled to break into Roberto Mancini's first-team plans due to reoccurring injuries and competition for places, and has one eye on a place at World Cup 2014

312819_thumb.jpg

Fellaini did not pay £4m of Manchester United transfer fee, insist Everton
After speculation the Belgian covered the difference between the Toffees' asking price and his expired release clause, the club have stressed the champions will pay the full fee

304412_thumb.jpg

'He's got everything' - Martinez hails Everton loan signing Lukaku
The Chelsea striker will spend the 2013-14 at Goodison Park after moving on deadline day, and his new manager feels the Belgian will give his team a "real boost"

313176_thumb.jpg

Oscar ready for 'big year' with Chelsea
After winning the Europa League in his debut season with the west London club, the Brazil international is keen to claim more silverware and increase his goal tally

313166_thumb.jpg

Ozil deal proves Arsenal are title contenders, says Walcott
The Gunners smashed their transfer record with the €47 million signing from Real Madrid, and his new team-mate believes it is a statement of intent to their top-flight rivals

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gerrard dreams of Liverpool management

301979_heroa.jpg

By Al Hain-Cole41
Sep 5, 2013 5:02:00 PM

The 33-year-old intends to start taking his coaching badges with a view to going into the dugout after his playing career is over and would love to take charge of the Reds

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed his aim to go into management once he hangs up his boots and dreams of taking over at Anfield one day.

The 33-year-old continues to play an integral role for the Reds on the pitch but is already planning for life after retirement by commencing work on his coaching badges within the next year.

"The dream come true would be to manage Liverpool, when the Liverpool job becomes available," he told TwentyFour 7 Football.

"There are world-class managers there ready already but we'll have to wait and see; it would be the icing on the cake.

"When you get to a certain age, my age, you need to start thinking seriously about a life after football.

"I am planning on doing my badges and qualifications over the next 12 months. I definitely see myself as a manager rather than a coach but that could change.

"I remember speaking to Jamie Carragher and he really fancied it but he's decided media is what he wants to do. It'll be strange seeing him on Sky but I'm really delighted he's doing it. He can leave managing Liverpool to me!"

The England skipper has two years remaining on his current contract and has previously spoken of his intention to finish his career at the club where he has spent his entire professional career.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ozil: I chose Arsenal because of world-class Wenger

313320_heroa.jpg

By Tom J Doyle263
Sep 5, 2013 1:31:00 PM

The Germany international joined the Gunners on deadline day for a club record €47 million and revealed the opportunity to develop under the French manager was a big draw for him

Mesut Ozil has revealed he joined Arsenal in a sensational €47 million transfer deadline day deal for the chance to work with "world-class" manager Arsene Wenger.

The 24-year-old decided to move on from Real Madrid after the Spanish giants completed the world-record €100m signing of Gareth Bale from Tottenham, with competition for places at the Bernabeu increasingly intense.

And while the Gunners have gone without a trophy for over eight years, the Germany international is confident he can lead the charge for silverware to repay some of the club's record outlay for his signature.

"I chose Arsenal because they are one of the top clubs in England. [Wenger] is a world-class manager - he’s demonstrated that for years," he told the club's official website.

"A lot of players have developed under his guidance in the past and that’s why I decided to join Arsenal. I want to improve myself further and I’m looking forward to the style of play.

"The most important thing is that the manager has given me his trust. I want to show my potential and have fun on the pitch. I think that I can help the team through my performances.

"I spoke to the manager a lot on the phone and he presented his vision and what he thinks about me. That convinced me and that’s why I am now at Arsenal."

Despite the lack of titles in the recent past, Ozil believes the club still have serious ambition, and feels that his style will suit the Emirates and help to make the club a success again.

"Arsenal are well known for the strength of their technical game and their desire to play attacking football," he continued. "I think I will fit perfectly into that. That’s why I chose to sign for the club.

"In the last few years, Arsenal haven’t been so successful but we want to become more successful. We want to win trophies. I think the fans are looking forward to that too.

"We have a very strong and a very young team that can improve a lot under the manager. I think we will win trophies because we have the potential [to do so]. I’m so happy to be playing at Arsenal. I’m honoured by it."

Real Madrid stars including Alvaro Arbeloa and Sami Khedira have expressed their surprise at Ozil moving to the Premier League, with Sergio Ramos stating he would not have allowed the deal to go through.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forget the defeat by Stoke... West Ham have won the cup! Big Sam celebrates silverware in Spain

By JOHN DRAYTON
PUBLISHED: 22:20 GMT, 5 September 2013 | UPDATED: 12:16 GMT, 6 September 2013

West Ham flew to Barcelona during the international break to give their players a chance at keeping match fit and beat a strong Espanyol side thanks to a Mark Noble penalty. Winger Matt Jarvis was fouled before half-time by Espanyol midfielder Abraham and Noble kept his cool to send keeper German Parreno the wrong way. West Ham were able to field a strong side that included first-team regulars such as Kevin Nolan, Guy Demel and Modibo Maiga.

article-2413372-1BA6A831000005DC-822_634x376.jpg

Trophy time: Captain Kevin Nolan picks up the City of Barcelona trophy after the 1-0 victory over Espanyol

article-2413372-1BA6A95E000005DC-367_634x424.jpg

Big Sam: Big smiles as West Ham celebrate some silverware in Barcelona

article-2413372-1BA6A9C9000005DC-638_634x423.jpg

Penalty: West Ham's Mark Noble celebrates scoring his spot-kick to beat Espanyol

article-2413372-1BA5C942000005DC-910_634x430.jpg

Hats off! Ravel Morrison and Sam Allardyce celebrate West Ham's victory in the 39th Barcelona's Town Tournament

Matchfacts

West Ham: Adrian; Demel, Tomkins, Ruddock, Taylor; Nolan, Noble, Morrison; Vaz Te, Maiga, Jarvis
Subs: Jaaskelainen, Lee, Moncur, Lletget, Driver, Fanimo
Goal: Noble 43

Espanyol: German, Mattioni, Raul, Sidnei, Thievy, Garcia, Pizzi, Lanza, D.Lopez, Fuentes, Abraham
Subs: Pau, Victor, Teiera, J.Lopez, Colotto, Simao, Alex, Clerc

Ravel Morrison got a start alongside Ricardo Vaz Te, who stayed at the club on deadline day despite originally asking to leave. Midway through the second-half Abraham had a chance to make up for his earlier mistake but his shot was well saved by West Ham keeper Adrian, who signed for the Hammers from Real Betis in the summer. By the end of the game, an impressive seven West Ham academy players were on the field. The club also announced on Thursday that Carlton Cole would not be returning after failing to prove his fitness.The 29-year-old ended a seven-year stint at Upton Park when he left at the expiration of his contract in June.

article-0-1BA51934000005DC-394_634x437.jpg

Match-winner: West Ham's Mark Noble tracks Espanyol's Brazilian striker Felipe Mattioni

article-0-1BA4F8DA000005DC-803_634x475.jpg

Charging back: Matt Taylor chases behind Espanyol striker Sergio Garcia

The England international striker was unable to find a new club, and with West Ham failing to add a striker to their ranks despite a number of transfer deadline day targets, it emerged that Cole could make a swift return.'Carlton's had a summer off. He's not been doing the sort of training that he needs to be doing to be ready to go,' first team coach Ian Hendon told Sportsmail. 'The medical staff do all their assessments. We've got all these physical stats from last year and he's let it go a little bit. It's up to Carlton now to prove his fitness.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United need a director of football, says Comolli

313522_heroa.jpg

Sep 5, 2013 12:00:00 PM

The former Liverpool chief says the Premier League champions' frustrating summer is due to the club's lack of planning for the departures of Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill

Manchester United need a director of football after a difficult summer transfer window, according to former Liverpool and Tottenham transfer chief Damien Comolli.

The Premier League champions are set to launch an internal inquest after David Moyes and new chief executive Ed Woodward missed out on a number of high-profile targets, and only landed Marouane Fellaini late on deadline day for an inflated £27.5 million fee.

Comolli believes the loss of Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill in the same summer has had a huge impact at Old Trafford, and says the club have paid a high price for a lack of forward planning.

"The issue for Manchester United is that the two most important people at the club in Sir Alex [Ferguson] and David Gill left their positions and new people came in for their first transfer window," Comolli told BBC Radio 5.
"If there was a club in need of a director of football to ease the process for both individuals [Moyes and Woodward] it was Manchester United.

"David [Moyes] only joined on July 1 which was quite late. For some reason the club weren't prepared or they didn't think it would be that difficult and they ended up in a difficult situation."

United only managed to bring in Guillermo Varela from Atletico Penarol and Fellaini, and missed out on a host of targets including Thiago, Cesc Fagregas, Ander Herrera, Fabio Coentrao and Sami Khedira.

Comelli signed Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Dimitar Berbatov while at Tottenham, but was also behind Liverpool's underwhelming 2011 transfer season when they lavishly spent on Craig Bellamy, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing and Sebastian Coates, as well as the flop signing of Andy Carroll the period before.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

6 September 2013
Last updated at 10:53 GMT

Mesut Ozil: Arsenal investigate coach Arber's Twitter bet claim

_69683042_163482512.jpg

Arsenal have confirmed they are investigating "as a matter of urgency" whether academy coach Mark Arber bet on the signing of Mesut Ozil.

It has been reported that Arber, 35, posted a tweet on his personal account on Monday admitting he had bet on the German international midfielder's club-record £42.4m move from Real Madrid.

The Gunners will investigate a potential breach of gambling rules.

"We take this very seriously," said a club spokesman.

"All Arsenal employees and workers are well aware of their responsibilities in this respect and we are looking into this as a matter of urgency."

Football Association betting rules do not allow people to bet on any events involving their own club.

On top of his role at Arsenal, Arber is a player-coach with Conference North side Corby and was at Dartford last season, having previously played for Peterborough, Barnet, Oldham and Stevenage.

THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION'S RULES ON BETTING

• You are not allowed to place any bet on a game involving your club;
• You are not allowed to place any bet on a game in a competition (such as cup competitions or the league itself) in which your club plays;
• This includes competitions that your club is due to play in but has not yet started and competitions that your club has been knocked out of;
• You are not allowed to place a bet on a game or competition in which you have any influence, either direct or indirect;
• You are not allowed to bet on any under 18 match;
• You are not allowed to ask or instruct anyone to place any of the bets above on your behalf;
• The above includes all bets related to the following:
– the result of a particular match, matches or the competition itself;
– any events in the progress of a match or matches (for example, number of red/yellow cards, corners etc);
– any other events involving your club or other clubs playing in the same league competition (such as next manager markets).
• The above includes bets on all domestic, European and worldwide matches or competitions
• All Players registered with a club are deemed to participate in every match played by that club, at whatever level (e.g. first team, reserves), while they are so registered. So, even if you’re injured or suspended, you are still not permitted to place any of the above bets;
• All Employees and Officers of a Club are deemed to participate in every match played by that club while they are so employed.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie rejects Moyes unhappiness talk

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has rejected talk that he is unhappy with David Moyes' coaching methods at Old Trafford.

Thursday 5th September 2013

Manchester%20United%20Manager%20David%20Moyes%20gives%20instructions%20to%20Robin%20van%20Persie.jpg

Rumours surfaced suggesting Van Persie had not been impressed by Moyes' reign so far after replacing Sir Alex Ferguson at the helm of the Premier League champions.

However, the Dutchman, who is away on international duty with Holland, has moved to dispel the rumours and insists he is enjoying working under former Everton manager Moyes.

"It's great working with the new manager David Moyes," Van Persie is quoted as saying in De Telegraaf.

"He has his own style and methods and I like these.

"We are working very hard from the day we started our tour to Asia and Australia. This will result in good matches, that's for sure. There is a very good atmosphere at the club.

"I'm happy with the style of Moyes. He does his own training sessions, he's close with the players and prepares us with his staff very well for the next opponent. That keeps us in shape.

"Luckily, because the title of last year gave us hunger for more."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho happy with balanced Chelsea squad

Jose Mourinho is satisfied Chelsea now have the right balance to make a sustained assault on the Barclays Premier League and Europe this season.

scot.jpg

The Blues brought in Anzhi Makhachkala duo Willian and Samuel Eto'o as well as Marco van Ginkel and Andre Schurrle ahead of the transfer window deadline, but also allowed Romelu Lukaku to join Everton on loan.

Mourinho feels such strength in depth will serve Chelsea well when they look to continue their promising start to the new season after the international break. Speaking to Chelsea TV, he said: "We have that (balance in the squad). We have two players per position, with three strikers and an extra midfield player.

"Every position is covered and we are very happy with what we have."

Mourinho did not sanction Demba Ba's proposed move to Arsenal following their club-record signing of Mesut Ozil, a player whose talents he knows well from Real Madrid. However, in Brazilian Willian and veteran forward Eto'o, the Blues manager is confident the club have brought in significant reinforcements.

"Samuel is a very experienced striker as everybody knows and a winner," Mourinho said.

"He is a guy who in spite of winning everything, he never lost his desire to win.

"Samuel comes to England with the same objective with which I went to Spain - he wants to be the first one to win the Spanish, the Italian and the English league as a player. He always wanted to play in the Premier League so he comes with big motivation.

"He is different from (Fernando) Torres; Torres is different from (Demba) Ba and Ba is different from Eto'o, so we have in these three strikers experience and different qualities. Hopefully it goes well."

Willian could also have signed for Tottenham before Chelsea's late move. Mourinho is in no doubt the player will bring something different to his line-up. The Blues boss added: "Willian is a creative player and for his qualities, I think he needs a bit of time to express himself.

"He is very creative, fast and dynamic and can play in all three positions behind the striker.

"Again he is a kid that wanted very much to play for Chelsea and he was too many years in Ukraine and in Russia and now he has his first chance to be in a big championship."

Chelsea have just half-a-dozen English players in the 25-man squad lists for the Premier League and the Champions League which were confirmed today, with Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and John Terry no longer at the start of their careers.

Mourinho, who returned to the Stamford Bridge club this summer, sees no reason why Chelsea cannot continue to bring their own talent through the Academy.

"I like that. Of course you can without English players, but I like to have at least a little core of English players," Mourinho said in an interview with the official Chelsea Magazine.

"If possible - and we have to work for it - I would like to have a little core of English players made in Chelsea Football Club, starting here since young boys. I think a club needs that culture as well.

"The other guys in the Academy, I am starting to know them now. I watch them train; I trained with them and I watched them play.

"So I start knowing these guys and as I said before, it's not just important to have English players, but also to have players made in this club who learn what it means to be Chelsea.

"They are in our plans and the club is making an investment in them."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Toffees' boss Martinez to offer Baines the sweetener of a new deal after left-back opts for stay despite transfer interest from United

By CARL MARKHAM, PRESS ASSOCIATION PUBLISHED: 10:23 GMT, 6 September 2013 | UPDATED: 10:25 GMT, 6 September 2013

Everton manager Roberto Martinez wants to reward Leighton Baines' loyalty with a new contract after the club fended off interest from Manchester United in the summer transfer window. Former Toffees boss David Moyes wanted to take the England left-back and midfielder Marouane Fellaini to Old Trafford with him, but only succeeded in buying the latter. While the Belgium international had regularly hinted at looking for a new club over the last 12 months, Baines has been a model professional and Martinez believes that deserves recognition.

article-0-1B8D6626000005DC-174_634x443.jpg

Loyalty rewarded: Everton left-back Leighton Baines is set to be offered a new deal

article-0-1B8D357E000005DC-661_634x399.jpg

Ready to talk: Everton manager Roberto Martinez wants to sit down with Baines and discuss a new deal for the left-back

article-0-1B993AA5000005DC-574_634x439.jpg

England duty: Baines, seen here with Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck, trains ahead of the World Cup qualifying games against Moldova and Ukraine

'Leighton is the most important player for us now and in the future,' said the Everton manager. 'We want to do what we can to reward that and let him know he deserves our appreciation.

'Contract talks will be opened but it is not just about the contract, it is about making sure he knows how much we want him and how much we appreciate him.'

Despite the loss of Fellaini - and, to a lesser extent, Victor Anichebe to West Brom - Martinez believes his squad emerged from the transfer window stronger with the arrivals of midfielders James McCarthy and Gareth Barry from Wigan and Manchester City respectively, and Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku.

article-2413625-1B8D6A66000005DC-681_634x415.jpg

Star player: Baines is one of Everton's best defenders

article-2413625-1B9FA26F000005DC-515_634x391.jpg

One in and one out: Belgian international Marouane Fellaini, left, departed Everton to sign for Manchester United, while Romelu Lukaku joined the Toffees on loan from Chelsea

article-2413625-1B974F4F000005DC-607_306x474.jpg
article-2413625-1B972DC8000005DC-36_306x474.jpg

New midfield options: Everton have signed James McCarthy from Wigan, left, and snapped up Manchester City defensive enforcer Gareth Barry on loan

The latter two are on loan, but Martinez thinks those last-day signings, plus the quartet of Arouna Kone, Antolin Alcaraz, Joel Robles and on-loan Barcelona youngster Gerard Deulofleu who arrived soon after he joined from Wigan earlier in the summer, have left the club in a strong position.

'In football you always want to keep the best performers, but he (Fellaini) leaves with our best wishes,' said Martinez, who would not confirm if the Belgian had handed in a last-minute transfer request prior to his £27.5million move - £4m more than his recently expired buy-out clause.

'There was a lot of talk (in the summer), but there was never a case of having to make a decision on it because the contractual situation with Marouane was straightforward.

'His buy-out clause expired on July 31 and his valuation completely differed.

'But when you lose a player you have to end up in better shape and that is what we have achieved.

'The squad ended up stronger and in a very good position.'

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham silent on Mourinho son report

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho's teenage son has reportedly signed for west London rivals Fulham.

FOXBPL_210813chelsea.jpg

Spanish newspaper Marca claim 14-year-old goalkeeper Jose Mario has signed on at Craven Cottage after a one-month trial.

He played for Real Madrid's Canillas side when his father was manager there, but it looks like he has not followed his father following his move back to Chelsea.

Fulham would not comment on the speculation when contacted by Press Association Sport this morning.

"Fulham Football Club does not comment on the identity of any of the young people participating in the numerous football programmes on offer at the club," a statement read.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forget France, Wenger's turning to Germany as Arsenal boss targets Reus, Gundogan and Bender to join Mertesacker and co

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 00:26 GMT, 7 September 2013 | UPDATED: 00:26 GMT, 7 September 2013

An intense scouting drive by Arsenal has pinpointed three of the Bundesliga’s top stars as Arsene Wenger attempts to add to the club’s growing German contingent. Wenger has requested detailed dossiers on Borussia Dortmund pair Marco Reus and Ilkay Gundogan and Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender. The Arsenal manager is also keeping tabs on Dortmund’s Poland right back Lukasz Piszczek, as the Gunners seek a replacement for Bacary Sagna, who could leave on a free transfer at the end of the season.

article-2414515-1B9187B3000005DC-507_634x384.jpg

Talented: Dortmund's Marco Reus is one of a generation of outstanding German youngsters

With Wenger under intense pressure to improve his squad, after eight years without Arsenal winning a trophy, all the club’s scouts were asked to recommend two names for every position at the start of the summer in preparation for the opening of the transfer window. The German trio featured heavily in the list of prospective targets and Wenger has asked to be kept regularly updated on the progress of Gundogan, Reus and Bender. Hard-working midfielder Bender appears to be held in the highest regard by Wenger. Indeed, the Gunners saw an £18.5million bid for the Germany player rejected by Leverkusen in the summer.

article-2414515-1BA2FC2E000005DC-919_306x423.jpg
article-2414515-1BAB218B000005DC-575_306x423.jpg

Wanted: Lars Bender and Ilkay Gundogan (right) could both be the subject of bids from Arsenal

Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp has made it clear he has no intention of allowing pacy forward Reus or midfielder Gundogan leave, but the pair remain firmly on Wenger’s radar. When Mesut Ozil dramatically signed for £42.5million from Real Madrid on transfer-deadline day he joined an already healthy number of Germany’s top stars in Arsenal’s first-team squad. Per Mertesacker, Lukas Podolski and Serge Gnabry have arrived from Werder Bremen, Cologne and Stuttgart respectively in recent seasons. Even 16-year-old hot prospect Gedion Zelalem is also a German national.

article-2414515-1BA9A739000005DC-206_306x423.jpg
article-2414515-1B844BC2000005DC-891_306x423.jpg

First-team regulars: Per Mertesacker and Lukas Podolski have already had an impact at Arsenal

And attacking midfielder Thomas Eisfeld, 20, who is expected to feature in Arsenal’s Capital One Cup campaign this season, was also signed from Borussia Dortmund. This influx of German talent at the Emirates is a deliberate ploy by Wenger and his trusted chief scout Steve Rowley. As revealed by Sportsmail on Tuesday, the first scouting reports conducted by Arsenal on Ozil date back to 2007, when the talented playmaker first broke into Schalke’s first team. Since then, Rowley, at Wenger’s request, has extensively expanded Arsenal’s scouting network in Germany as the club look to exploit the country’s burgeoning talent pool. And the strategy to enhance their scouting presence seems to be paying off. In addition to Reus, Gundogan and Bender, Arsenal showed a solid interest in Schalke’s wonderkid Julian Draxler over the summer, but the club were not prepared to meet the 19-year-old’s £40million release clause.

article-2414515-1B9033B3000005DC-781_634x435.jpg

Youthful: Schalke's Julian Draxler is another potential recruit

article-2414515-1BA33B34000005DC-433_634x411.jpg

The professor: Arsene Wenger continues to scour Europe for the finest signings

In the previous transfer window, in January, Wenger had also tried to sign Bayern Munich pair Manuel Neuer and Mario Gotze — then still playing at Dortmund — among others. Rowley, who has ensured that even German academy games are attended by Gunners scouts, spent long periods of last season based in the country as he looked to gain as much knowledge as possible on the nation’s best up-and-coming players. And Wenger’s trusted confidant is expected to spend more time in Germany again this season ahead of further spending splurges in January and next summer. In the past Arsenal have, with varying degrees of success, initiated similar scouting strategies in France and Spain during Wenger’s lengthy reign at the club.

article-2414515-1B94D277000005DC-980_306x460.jpg
article-2414515-1B85A7B4000005DC-484_306x460.jpg

Past targets: The ambitious Wenger has previously attempted to sign Manuel Neuer and Mario Gotze (right)

Wenger’s intrinsic knowledge of French players saw Arsenal sign the likes of Patrick Vieira, Emmanuel Petit, Thierry Henry and Robert Pires when he arrived in English football. Later Arsenal took significant steps to tap into the Spanish talent pool by appointing Francis Cagigao as their head scout in the country. Cagigao, the man who recommended Cesc Fabregas to Wenger, has since led Arsenal’s attempts to lure Barcelona’s best young talent to London. Barca defender Martin Montoya, 22, whose contract expires at the end of this season, is the latest to be monitored.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Fulham striker Petric on Reading's radar while Frei completes move to Besiktas

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 21:57 GMT, 6 September 2013 | UPDATED: 21:57 GMT, 6 September 2013

Reading are considering reviving interest in former Fulham striker Mladen Petric, 32, who is a free agent. Winger Kerim Frei has completed his move from Fulham to Besiktas. The 19-year-old Turkey international, who joined the Craven Cottage club in 2010, has decided to return to his home country in a bid to get regular first-team football.

article-0-1499AFDC000005DC-194_634x412.jpg

Free transfer: Former Fulham striker Mladen Petric is being considered by Reading

Manager Martin Jol said: 'Kerim has progressed well through his time in the Academy and into the fringes of the First Team, which enabled him to play for the Turkish national team, which is a big thing for him.'But for him to continue this progression and to really fulfill his potential he needs to play week in, week out, and I couldn't offer him that as part of the first team here, so we decided to accept the offer from Besiktas.'He's sure to have a big impact back in Turkey and I know that on a personal level it's a good option for him.'Jol added on Fulham's official website, www.fulhamfc.com: 'As a club, because of the structure of the deal, we are still invested in his future and what we believe he'll be able to achieve in time. I know he'll be much happier playing, so we wish him all the best.'

article-0-128778C0000005DC-31_634x520.jpg

Midfielder: Kerim Frei has completed his move to Turkish club Besiktas

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham target PSG's teenage Rabiot as Villas-Boas eyes MORE midfielders

By SIMON JONES PUBLISHED: 21:58 GMT, 6 September 2013 | UPDATED: 00:48 GMT, 7 September 2013

Tottenham are watching Paris St Germain starlet Adrien Rabiot. The 18-year-old defensive midfielder has broken into the PSG first team this season. However, he may see his progress blocked by the array of big-money signings ahead of him.

article-2414431-1B8D8B15000005DC-448_634x402.jpg

Targeted: Paris Saint-Germain's French midfielder Adrien Rabiot could become the latest Tottenham import

article-2414431-1B8D89FC000005DC-923_634x444.jpg

Athletic: The midfielder would face serious competition for places at White Hart Lane

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal take 'strong disciplinary action' against youth coach Arber after Ozil 14/1 betting boast

By CHARLES SALE PUBLISHED: 09:19 GMT, 7 September 2013 | UPDATED: 11:15 GMT, 7 September 2013

Arsenal have taken 'strong disciplinary action' against academy coach Mark Arber, son of Gunners scout Bob Arber, ahead of an inevitable FA probe into a possible breach of gambling regulations.This follows Sportsmail's revelation of Arber's tweets suggesting a 14-1 deadline-day bet on Mesut Ozil's signing. 'All Arsenal employees and workers are well aware of their responsibilities in this respect,' said a club spokesman. Arber, a former professional footballer, boasted on social media he was ITK (In the Know) about Arsenal transfer activity, tweeted: ‘Lovely bit of 14-1 Mesut.’

article-0-1BA70386000005DC-841_634x434.jpg

Probe: Mark Arber (right) is under investigation after he suggested he bet on Mesut Ozil's arrival to Arsenal

In the know: Arber, who works as a coach at the Arsenal academy, suggested he had inside knowledge about the £42.5m deal. This indiscretion follows the FA’s 21-month ban on Accrington Stanley managing director Robert Heys for betting offences first spotted after he tweeted about a Carling Cup punt.

Arsenal’s spokesman said on Friday: ‘We take this very seriously.’Arber, 35, most recently played for Conference Premier side Dartford last season, but spent the previous four years at Dagenham & Redbridge, also captaining the side. He also had two spells at Peterborough United, and periods at Barnet, Oldham and Stevenage.

The £42.5million Ozil starred for Germany in their 3-0 win over Austria on Friday, though his national manager, Joachim Low, described his move to Arsenal as 'incomprehensible'.

Heys admitted to 735 breaches of the FA's betting rules at a hearing in August and received a 21-month ban, as well as a £1,000 fine, though he intends to appeal the punishment.The former Accrington managing director admitted he had made more than 200 bets on matches involving the club and had bet on them to lose on 37 occasions. Arsenal signing Mesut Ozil training with German squad

article-2413585-1BA70EBD000005DC-968_634x401.jpg

Ban: Former Accrington Stanley managing director Robert Heys received a 21-month ban from football after admitting he bet on more than 700 matches

article-2413585-1B98CC2C000005DC-993_634x503.jpg

Pals: Ozil and Lukas Podolski pose with an Arsenal shirt while with the Germany squad

THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION'S RULES ON BETTING

• You are not allowed to place any bet on a game involving your club;
• You are not allowed to place any bet on a game in a competition (such as cup competitions or the league itself) in which your club plays;
• This includes competitions that your club is due to play in but has not yet started and competitions that your club has been knocked out of;
• You are not allowed to place a bet on a game or competition in which you have any influence, either direct or indirect;
• You are not allowed to bet on any under 18 match;
• You are not allowed to ask or instruct anyone to place any of the bets above on your behalf;
• The above includes all bets related to the following:
– the result of a particular match, matches or the competition itself;
– any events in the progress of a match or matches (for example, number of red/
yellow cards, corners etc);

– any other events involving your club or other clubs playing in the same league competition (such as next manager markets).
• The above includes bets on all domestic, European and worldwide matches or competitions
• All Players registered with a club are deemed to participate in every match played by that club, at whatever level (e.g. first team, reserves), while they are so registered. So, even if you’re injured or suspended, you are still not permitted to place any of the above bets;
• All Employees and Officers of a Club are deemed to participate in every match played by that club while they are so employed.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

More injury woe for Man City as Silva leaves Spain training camp early with thigh problem

By CHRIS WHEELER PUBLISHED: 10:47 GMT, 9 September 2013 | UPDATED: 16:32 GMT, 9 September 2013

Manchester City have confirmed that a thigh injury is the reason behind David Silva’s early departure from the Spain training camp. Silva is on his way back to Manchester to have the problem assessed after being ruled out of Tuesday’s friendly against Chile. It is too early to say whether he will miss City’s trip to Stoke on Saturday, although the injury is not thought to be too serious.

article-0-1B9A9EC2000005DC-880_634x518.jpg

Injury: Silva complained of discomfort after national training and was diagnosed with a muscle complaint

However, it is another concern for manager Manuel Pellegrini who has already lost defenders Vincent Kompany (groin), Matija Nastasic (ankle), Micah Richards (hamstring) and Martin Demichelis (knee) to injury in the early stages of the season. Nastasic has already returned to action and Richards could make his comeback at Stoke, but Kompany is expected to be out until October and Demichelis has begun a six-week layoff. The Spanish FA announced earlier that Silva had left the training camp due to a muscle problem, but did not specify the injury.

article-2415886-19BB3AC9000005DC-172_634x430.jpg

Lynchpin: Captain Vincent Kompany has been sorely missed from the heart of City's defence

article-0-1B93AC9F000005DC-294_306x423.jpg
article-0-11F53A64000005DC-574_306x423.jpg

Defensive crisis: Centre-backs Martin Demichelis (left) and Micah Richards (right) are hampering City's start

A statement read: ‘After the issues reported by the player David Jimenez Silva after this afternoon’s training session, a scan took place and a light muscle injury was detected.‘For precaution, and to avoid complications with this injury, Silva left the training camp.‘National coach Vicente del Bosque has decided not to call up anyone else to cover the absence.’

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

267665_heros.jpg

Marica 'close to joining Arsenal'
The striker is available on a free transfer after leaving Schalke at the end of the last season and his representative has revealed a move could be in the offing "next week"

315547_heros.jpg

Kagawa hopes to win back place
The 24-year-old has seen his opportunities limited so far this season but is optimistic that he might be back in David Moyes's plans after returning from international duty

303203_heros.jpg

Anderson desperate to shine at Man Utd
The former Porto man has struggled to establish himself at Old Trafford but is keen to make the most of his improved fitness levels and win the trust of David Moyes

309325_heros.jpg

Man City are title favourites - Aguero
The 25-year-old believes that his side have a stronger squad than their nearest domestic rivals, Manchester United and Chelsea, and praises former team-mate Mario Balotelli

315483_heros.jpg

Clichy confident of title push
The Frenchman believes the arrival of new boss Manuel Pellegrini has galvanised the squad, and believes this season's title race will be decided by mental strength

310448_heros.jpg

Willian ready to fight for Chelsea place
The Brazilian attacking midfielder recognises that, despite his £31.6 million transfer fee, he will have to tussle with the likes of Eden Hazard and Juan Mata for starts

264475_heros.jpg

Cole pays tribute to centurion Lampard
The 32-year-old congratulated his Chelsea team-mate ahead of tonight's game against Ukraine where the midfielder is expected to make his 100th appearance for the Three Lions

315476_heros.jpg

Sturridge vows not to rest on laurels
The 24-year-old has started the season in blistering form for Liverpool, but insists he has no desire to become complacent as he shows signs of fulfilling his huge potential

315334_heros.jpg

Szczesny: Being dropped helped me
The 23-year-old admits he is not entirely pleased with his form last term and claims that being benched forced him to work on his fitness

315160_heros.jpg

Jagielka: Window could close earlier
The Everton centre-back argues that players should not start the Premier League season without knowing if their team-mates will still be there in the next match

307932_heros.jpg

Swansea are stronger - Michu
The attacker has been buoyed by the arrival of the likes of Wilfried Bony at the Liberty Stadium this summer and feels that the Swans are ready for their Europa League challenge

310834_heros.jpg

Nani: Moyes convinced me to stay
The Portuguese star is happy to have signed a new contract with the Premier League champions after rejecting offers from other clubs

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Palace dealt blow as Hunt breaks ankle

1010445_10_preview.jpg

Crystal Palace's recent signing Jack Hunt, yet to kick a ball for his new club, has been ruled out for the rest of the year after breaking his ankle in training.

Elliot: I'm not here to sit on Newcastle bench

905253_10_preview.jpg

Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot has warned Tim Krul he is gunning for his place as he attempts to force his way onto the international stage.

I've gotten better with age, says Flamini

1010422_10_preview.jpg

Arsenal's Mathieu Flamini considers himself better equipped to play in the Premier League after his five-year stint in the Serie A.

Henry: Liverpool making progress on stadium

608358_10_preview.jpg

Liverpool owner John W Henry has offered reassurances that the finance is in place for the club to push on with their stadium redevelopment.

Ramires hints at Benfica return in future

1010415_10_preview.jpg

Chelsea midfielder Ramires has told a press conference that he would like to return to his old club Benfica in the future.

Ilori not ruling out England role

1009877_10_preview.jpg

New Liverpool defender Tiago Ilori would consider an offer to play for England - although he says playing for Portugal remains his ambition.

Phelan looking for managerial stint

976348_10_preview.jpg

Former Manchester United assistant manager Mike Phelan is not bothered he was never told about inquiries for him but hopes it won't take long for similar opportunities to arise.

Cazorla hopes Ozil proves to be the missing piece

820514_10_preview.jpg

Midfielder Santi Cazorla cannot understand why Real Madrid sold "spectacular" Mesut Ozil, but hopes the German playmaker will fit right in at Arsenal.

West Ham sign Petric on a free

783745_10_preview.jpg

West Ham have confirmed the signing of striker Mladen Petric as manager Sam Allardyce looks to bolster his attacking options.

Caballero: Pellegrini wanted me at Man City

893264_10_preview.jpg

Malaga goalkeeper Willy Caballero claims Manuel Pellegrini was keen to take him to Manchester City.

Baresi: Di Canio can be a success as manager

971926_10_preview.jpg

Former Italy defender Franco Baresi has backed compatriot Paolo Di Canio to make a success of his managerial career.

Willian faces fight for Blues shirt

1006011_10_preview.jpg

Willian knows he faces a fight for a first-team shirt at Chelsea - but hopes to earn "the trust of the manager and the fans".

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

10 September 2013
Last updated at 13:42 GMT

Mladen Petric: West Ham swoop for former Fulham striker

_69758869_mladenpetric.jpg

West Ham have completed the signing of former Fulham striker Mladen Petric on a deal until the end of the season.

The 32-year-old Croatian has been without a club since leaving the Cottagers in the summer after his one-year contract expired, having scored five goals in 23 appearances for them.

West Ham swooped after an injury setback to Andy Carroll, who injured his foot in training on Monday, and they are waiting to discover how long the former Liverpool and Newcastle forward will be sidelined.

The 24-year-old England striker, a club-record £15m signing from Liverpool this summer, has not played since suffering a heel injury in the final game of last season.

Petric scored twice on his Premier League debut as Fulham beat Norwich 5-0, but struggled for form after that, scoring just three more goals for the club.

He started his senior career in Switzerland with FC Baden before joining Grasshopper in 1999, making 114 appearances for the Zurich-based club.

Petric also had a spell at Basel before moving to Borussia Dortmund and Hamburg, for whom he scored 38 goals in 98 appearances.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kagawa questions Moyes judgement

Shinji Kagawa has encouraged reporters to question Manchester United manager David Moyes why he is not featuring for the Barclays Premier League champions.

Wednesday 11th September 2013
By FOX Sports staff

175987028.jpg

Kagawa had an injury-interrupted first campaign at Old Trafford last term following a big-money move from Borussia Dortmund but still managed to net six goals in 26 appearances, including a clinical hat-trick against Norwich back in March that was a real display of his quality.

But since Moyes took over from Sir Alex Ferguson in the summer, Kagawa has failed to feature for United apart from a seven-minute substitute appearance in the Community Shield against Championship side Wigan.

However, the 24-year-old remains a key player for Japan and, after another impressive showing in the Samurai Blue's 3-1 friendly win over Ghana on Tuesday, expressed his frustration at being constantly ignored by his new club manager.

"Please ask David Moyes why I'm not in the side," he told reporters, according to ITV.

"It is frustrating [to be] not playing but to score a goal like that [against Ghana] gives me confidence. Hopefully I can take that back to my club and things will improve.

"It's hard not playing regularly. Some days the frustration is worse than others, it comes in waves.

"So it's nice to come back to Japan and get to play and to score felt good. I missed one in the first half tonight [Tuesday] so when the chance opened up in the second for me to shoot, I wanted to take it on."

Despite his relative youth, Kagawa has already enjoyed plenty of success having won two Bundesliga titles and a DFB-Pokal with Dortmund, before winning the league with United last season.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes always in Fergie's shadow! Sir Alex to receive honorary freedom of Trafford while street near Man United stadium will be named after legendary boss

By KIM PILLING, PRESS ASSOCIATION PUBLISHED: 11:17 GMT, 10 September 2013 | UPDATED: 13:01 GMT, 10 September 2013

As if David Moyes first few weeks in the job were not stressful enough, now the man he replaced in the dug out is to receive the honorary freedom of Trafford borough. Former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson will be formally honoured at a meeting of councillors on October 14, said Trafford Council.Sir Alex is also being recognised by the local authority with the renaming of a road near Old Trafford stadium from Waters Reach to Sir Alex Ferguson Way. It means that on the day of a home game United's new manager Moyes will stand in the shadow of the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand, having driven to work along Sir Alex Ferguson Way, in the borough of Ferguson's Trafford!

article-0-1BBB826A000005DC-91_634x471.jpg

Salute: Sir Alex Ferguson is to receive the honorary freedom of Trafford borough

Sir Alex said: 'I am delighted to accept this honour from Trafford Council. When I arrived at Old Trafford in 1986 I had little idea of the journey that awaited me. Over quarter of a century later, to receive the Freedom of the Borough of Trafford and to have a part of Trafford carrying my name is truly humbling.'Council leader Matt Colledge said: 'Sir Alex has contributed significantly to Trafford over a sustained period of time through his strong leadership of the Manchester United team and it was felt that the Honorary Freeman title and the renaming of the street was a fitting tribute to him. 'Football contributes significantly to the borough through the large number of visitors it attracts and jobs it creates. It has been through the success of the team that the club has grown in strength over the years, becoming one of the world's most successful and renowned clubs.'Ferguson follows in the footsteps of another legendary United boss, Sir Matt Busby, who in 1993 saw the road leading up to Old Trafford - Warwick Road North - renamed as Sir Matt Busby Way.

article-0-162E31A6000005DC-943_634x401.jpg

Honour: Sir Alex Ferguson has a statue outside Old Trafford and a stand named after him

article-0-0EADF88B00000578-637_634x393.jpg