• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

19384661f6db3c378805f68e3103857280917adb.jpeg

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet: Sunderland great escape still not done

Head coach Gus Poyet is refusing to take anything for granted after dragging Sunderland to within touching distance of safety.

Poyet.jpg

Wednesday 7th May 2014

The Black Cats looked doomed just a few weeks ago when they slipped seven points adrift of 17th place in the Barclays Premier League, and few observers gave them any chance to avoiding the drop.

However, a return of 10 points from a possible 12 - from trips to Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United either side of a must-win home clash with Cardiff - has rekindled their hopes to such an extent that even a point against West Brom at the Stadium of Light on Wednesday night would almost certainly be enough to preserve their top-flight status.

But having seen Crystal Palace launch an astonish late fightback to deny title-contenders Liverpool victory on Monday evening, Poyet will leave nothing to chance.

Asked if he ever feared Sunderland had passed the point of no return, he said: "We are realistic - I have said that word here many, many times, 'realistic'. It was becoming more and more difficult.

"When you have got 10 games, you think, 'If we win four or five, we are going to be all right'. Then you have got six and you are still there - it's more difficult, no doubt.

"We hadn't won three game in a row in the whole season and we have done it now in style - Chelsea, at Old Trafford and at home against Cardiff when that was probably the biggest game of all.

"That's football, I suppose. Listen, after the game yesterday, I think we all agree that anything can happen at any time, so you need to be spot-on, especially in the Barclays Premier League.

"You need to be at an incredible level because even in other parts sometimes when a team goes 3-0 down, they think 'Let's lose 3-0 now, there's no chance we are going to get back'. But here, yes, you can come back.

"It was good that game for us, it was good. It was a little bit back to tension, back to tomorrow, to the end, to the last minute like we did at Old Trafford.

"One-nil or 2-0 or whatever score it is if you are lucky enough to be up, you need to really work hard to keep that result because it's a great opportunity."

Should Poyet complete the mission he was handed in October last year, he will head off on his summer break to enjoy a well-earned rest, although he admits there will still be hard work to be done before he can do that.

He said: "There are so many things to do, I don't know where I am going to start. But depending on Wednesday or Sunday, of course the first thing is the players.

"There are plenty of players who have been in a tricky situation without contracts, and they have been playing and they have been fighting and they have been suffering and playing with pain, and I think they deserve my first spare time, so that's going to be the first move.

"Then, I suppose, pre-season, and then a little bit of relaxation with the wife - she's going to kill me as well."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

BPL clubs set for huge broadcast windfall

The Premier League champions stand to rake in £95million from TV money this season while even the bottom club will earn £63million.

Yaya%20Toure%20of%20Manchester%20City%20celebrates%20scoring%20his%20team%27s%20second%20goal%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Crystal%20Palace%20and%20Manchester%20City%20at.jpg.jpg

Wednesday 7th May 2014

The huge value of new £5.5billion Premier League broadcast deals will be highlighted by the fact that whoever finishes bottom of the table on Sunday should earn more from TV money than the £60.8million Manchester United were paid after winning the league last season.

The new champions are expected to be paid £35million more, and the bottom club around £24million more than QPR earned after finishing bottom last season.

The Premier League has confirmed its merit money payments of £1.2million for every place each club finishes up the table, rising to £24million for the champions. That represents a 60% rise on last season.

Facility fees of £750,000 will be paid to a club for every live TV appearance, with a minimum payment of £7.5million.

There has been no confirmation from the league of the equal shares that will be paid to clubs for domestic and overseas broadcasting deals, but they are expected to rise by 60% and 70% respectively - in line with the increases in those deals - to £23million and £32million per club.

The huge rise in income should help a number of clubs turn their financial fortunes around, especially if they have been able to minimise wage bill rises for players this season.

How the Premier League payments will be calculated:

:: £1.2million paid for every place a club finishes in the league, up to £24million for the champions.

:: facility fees of £750,000 for every time a club appears on a live TV match, with a minimum of £7.5million.

:: equal share from domestic broadcast deals - not yet confirmed but expected to be around 60% increase to £23million per club.

:: equal share from overseas broadcast deals - not yet confirmed but expected to be around 70% increase to £32million per club

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

B-Team proposal opposed by Premier League

A new competition for B teams for the leading Premier League and Championship clubs is already considerable opposition from the clubs.

FOXBPL_101013dyke.jpg

Wednesday 7th May 2014

It is to be considered by the Football Association board on Wednesday.

The plan, part of FA chairman Greg Dyke's commission aimed at boosting the number of young English players at the top of club football, would see the new division placed between League Two and the Conference.

Other proposals would see the number of home-grown players required in league clubs' 25-man squads increased from the current minimum of eight, and a shake-up of the loan system.

The B-team plan would involve the 24 clubs with a top-rated academy but there are concerns in the professional game that it would disrupt the traditional pyramid which allows clubs to be promoted and relegated through the divisions.

Conference and League Two clubs, for example, would be strongly oppose well-resourced under-21 sides from wealthy Premier League clubs competing with them for league places.

Premier League clubs are understood to have serious reservations, as do many in the Football League and Conference.

There is also a feeling that there is a breakthrough taking place with young English players, with the likes of Raheem Sterling, Adam Lallana, Jay Rodriguez, Luke Shaw and Ross Barkley promising a bright future for the national side.

Clubs in countries such as Spain and Germany do have B sides playing in lower divisions - Real Madrid and Barcelona both do, for example but they do not have the same historic and structured pyramid as English football.

Alan Algar, sponsorship manager for Conference sponsors Skrill, told BBC Radio 5 Live the plan was "disgraceful".

He said: "I think it's a disgraceful proposal because it makes it very difficult for non-league clubs to feel part of the football pyramid," he said.

"People all over the world look towards England and are envious of our pyramid and the way things work here. To insert a number of teams that aren't competitive and won't have a fan base just makes it very difficult."

Football League chairman Greg Clarke is a member of Dyke's commission but said in September the body was not in favour of feeder or B clubs.

He said: "The Football League is not keen to have feeder clubs. If you look at leagues which do have them, you tend not to get good attendances.

"We don't like the idea of it and I don't believe it would solve the problem - but we will look at it as nothing is off the table."

The Football League's board will consider any proposals put forward by Dyke in conjunction with member clubs.

Clarke said, in a statement released by the Football League on Tuesday: "The purpose of the FA Chairman's England Commission is laudable and is supported by the Football League, as we recognise the benefits a successful England team brings to the game in this country at all levels.

"Having been represented on the commission throughout the process, and having been regularly updated on its progress, the Football League board will have the opportunity to hear from Greg Dyke in person later this week.

"This will enable our board to better understand the rationale behind his proposals and also to ask some practical questions about their likely impact upon the league and its clubs.

"After fully considering the relevant issues, the board will then take a recommendation back to clubs who will determine the league's position on this matter."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Al Fayed blames Fulham drop on statue loss

Manager Felix Magath laid the blame for relegation at the feet of Fulham's players for a lack of fighting spirit.

Jackson.jpg

Wednesday 7th May 2014

Cottagers fans expressed theories ranging from a lurch through three different bosses to the unwillingness of new owner Shahid Khan to splash the cash.

But Khan's flamboyant predecessor Mohamed Al Fayed is convinced he knows the real reason why Fulham's 14-year stay in the Barclays Premier League came to an end last Saturday.

Al Fayed told Press Association Sport he believes the Cottagers would still be in the top flight if Khan had not had the 7ft 6ins sculpture of Michael Jackson removed from outside Craven Cottage last November.

Al Fayed was speaking as he formally presented the statue of the late singer to the National Football Museum in Manchester, where it will stand proudly on a first-floor mezzanine.

He said: "This statue was a charm and we removed the luck from the club and now we have to pay the price.

"When (Khan) asked me to move it I said, 'you must be crazy'. This is such a fantastic statue which the fans are crying out for.

"But now he has paid the price because the club has been relegated. He called me because he told me he wanted Michael to return. I told him, no way."

The much-mocked statue was commissioned by Al Fayed and installed at the back of the Hammersmith Stand in 2011.

Al Fayed was a friend of Jackson and the singer even paid a visit to Craven Cottage when he attended a match between Fulham and Wigan in 1999.

But following Al Fayed's decision to sell the club to Indian tycoon Khan, he was told it was surplus to requirements and would have to be removed.

Speaking about its presentation to the National Football Museum, Al Fayed added: "This is a great place visited by thousands of people and I am very proud to present them with one of the greatest artists and singers in the world.

"Michael is a fantastic example for everyone. He came from nowhere and showed fantastic determination to be a superstar and I am very glad that he is now in this great institution for people to enjoy."

Magath has vowed to stay with Fulham despite their relegation and accepts the display in the 4-1 loss at Stoke was unacceptable.

He said on Fulham's website: "We as a team, and I include myself and management, would like to apologise for our bad performance on Saturday. It certainly was not what you as fans were expecting and should rightfully demand of us, but we were unable to perform on the day, resulting in our downfall.

"The support that you have given us has been exceptional and is much appreciated. I do realise that you have been through difficult times this season, but you have continued to be our ever faithful 12th man and I cannot praise and thank you enough.

"I was appointed by Mr Khan in February, and willingly signed a contract for 18 months, realising that there was a distinct possibility that we would not survive in the Premier League. Contrary to many opinions, I was not only brought in until the end of the season, with the primary target of keeping Fulham in the Premier League, but to build a team that can compete in the top flight.

"The reality is that we have been relegated, but my commitment and desire to Fulham remains.

"In the short space of time that I have spent here, I have been very impressed with so many aspects of our football club, and with this in mind, my one priority is to give Premier League football back to you."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wilshere could return for Arsenal's final match

LONDON Thu May 8, 2014 12:25pm BST

r

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere smiles as he arrives for a team training session at their training ground in London Colney, north of London, England February 18, 2014. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - England midfielder Jack Wilshere could return to the Arsenal squad for Sunday's final Premier League match at Norwich City, raising hopes he will be fit for the FA Cup final and the World Cup.

The 22-year-old has not featured since fracturing his foot in a friendly against Denmark in March but Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said on Thursday that he was in line to play against Norwich.

Midfielder Aaron Ramsey and defender Kieran Gibbs may also be in the squad but utility player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain remains sidelined.

"Ramsey could be available and Wilshere too," Wenger told a news conference. "Gibbs is also back in the squad, he has been doing normal training, but Oxlade-Chamberlain is still out."

England manager Roy Hodgson will announce his squad for next month's World Cup in Brazil on Monday and Wilshere, capped 15 times, is likely to be named if fit.

Arsenal meet Hull City in the FA Cup final at Wembley six days later.

Victory would end a nine-year wait for silverware for the Londoners but having secured a top-four finish and Champions League football for the 17th successive time, Wenger said they needed to improve in attack next season.

Arsenal were top of the Premier League for 128 days this term but faded in recent months and leaders Manchester City now hold a two-point advantage over Liverpool heading into the final day of the season.

"It was a season where City just won it, getting over the line," said Wenger. "They won the marathon and they turned up in the last 100 yards.

"It was not easy for them. Liverpool had an outstanding second part of the season. They are maybe the most unlucky team of the season. They were nearly there.

"We have been 128 days top of the league so we have won the stamina league. But we faded in big games away from home.

"City scored 100 goals. We have scored 66 at the moment. That's where we have room for improvement."

Wenger said France defender Laurent Koscielny was close to signing a new contract, having joined from Lorient in 2010, but he did not expect many incoming transfers until after the World Cup.

"In my experience, in a World Cup year, the transfer business does not get done early," he explained.

(Reporting by Josh Reich; editing by Tony Jimenez)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA proposes English Premier League B teams

By Sam Holden
LONDON Thu May 8, 2014 5:23pm BST

r

England manager Roy Hodgson attends a media conference at a hotel in Watford, England March 4, 2014. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - An FA commission wants to use the blueprint of the Spanish and German football leagues and allow Premier League clubs to enter B teams in lower divisions in a bid to improve the England national side, it said on Thursday. The Football Association is proposing a major overhaul of English football with the introduction of a fourth-tier league from 2016-17 for top-flight clubs' B teams and limits on overseas players.

The commission was set up by FA chairman Greg Dyke and its members include England manager Roy Hodgson, former England coach Glenn Hoddle and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand.

"It was agreed that by 2022 our target should be that there are 90 English players playing regularly in the top European leagues, compared with 66 today, and of those 90 we would want at least 30 playing in the top six teams," Dyke told a news conference at Wembley Stadium.

The commission suggested the creation of a new 'League Three' which would initially be made up of 10 Premier League B teams and 10 sides from the cream of minor league football in a bid to give players more competitive matches.

Clubs could be promoted and relegated between League One, Two and Three and the minor league Conference but B teams could not play in the second-tier Championship and must always be at least one division below their A sides.

The plan is based on the structure of Spanish and German football, where younger players play competitively on a regular basis. The likes of Lionel Messi and Juan Mata came through Barcelona and Real Madrid’s B teams respectively.

"The majority of Germans, the Spanish, like Xavi, (Sergio) Busquets, even (Pep) Guardiola, came through the B team system, the model is there for it to work,” said former England and Manchester City defender Danny Mills, one of the commission members.

“The biggest problem is going to be change and the change of tradition but if we want to move forward we have to change”

WORK PERMIT

As well as the introduction of B teams the commission also wants to overhaul the work permit system and prevent non-EU players from joining any English club outside the Premier League.

Developing a Strategic Loan Partnership, where clubs from the top two English leagues can loan players to a lower division ‘Partner’ club is another change Dyke hopes will allow greater opportunity for 18 to 21-year-old English footballers to play more competitively.

"I welcome the proposals and I know the chairman, and indeed everyone who is passionate about English football, would strongly advocate the findings and recommendations," said Hodgson.

The FA commission's report said the next step in the process; "should entail detailed consideration, consultation and debate between all interested parties in football".

Dyke implored the leading clubs to look at the proposals with open minds and said he already has the support of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Stoke City.

“The clubs we’ve talked to are keen,” Dyke said. “The clubs said ‘you’ve got to find something that gives these kids real competition'.

"We recognise that making changes in football is often a slow and difficult process but we urge those in the football world to consider our proposals constructively and with open minds.

"We urge them to balance the specific, narrowly-defined concerns of their particular club or league with what will be of the most benefit to the game overall, the development of young English players and the success of the England team."

(Editing by Ed Osmond)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet relaxed after masterminding Sunderland's great escape

Thu May 8, 2014 1:21pm BST

r

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against West Bromwich Albion at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, northern England May 7, 2014. REUTERS/Russell Cheyne

(Reuters) - Having secured Sunderland's Premier League status that appeared doomed at the turn of the year, manager Gus Poyet says he can finally afford to relax for the first time in seven months.

The Wearsiders became the second team after West Bromwich Albion in 2004-05 to avoid dropping into the second-tier Championship after being bottom at Christmas, Poyet having reinvigorated a bloated squad that seemed resigned to its fate.

Wednesday's 2-0 win over West Brom, their fourth consecutive victory, earned the point they needed to retain top flight status ahead of their final match at home to Swansea City on Sunday.

"It's an incredible day, I'm going to be able to go home and relax for the first time in seven months, which is very special," the Uruguayan told the club website (www.safc.com).

"We've made this incredible escape and it’s going to be remembered for a long time."

A little over a month ago the Black Cats looked odds-on for relegation, having given up a 1-0 lead at Tottenham Hotspur to meekly fall to a 5-1 loss which saw them seven points off safety, albeit with two matches in hand on their cellar-dweller rivals.

The defeat left the demonstrative Poyet claiming they would need a miracle if they wanted to move out of the bottom three.

Divine inspiration was in short supply next time out when a Wes Brown own goal saw them lose their fifth straight match, 1-0 at home to Everton, before two goals to Connor Wickham earned a point at Manchester City, likely to be crowned champions on Sunday.

TURNING POINT

That proved the turning point as Sunderland engineered a dramatic form reversal as they beat Chelsea, Cardiff City, Manchester United and West Brom to rise to 14th in the table.

The former Chelsea and Tottenham midfielder, who replaced Paolo Di Canio in October with the club having achieved only one point from their first seven matches and subsequently led them to the Capital One (League) Cup final, which they lost to Manchester City, said saving Sunderland was his biggest achievement.

"It's one of the happiest days of my life," he told reporters.

"I'm absolutely delighted, I'm proud and so pleased for the fans.

"It's been difficult, very difficult, but we've stayed up in a certain style. We've shown you can stay up despite being seven points adrift with a month left – but it'll be a miracle if something like this happens again..."

Having ignited the career of Wickham, twice sent out on loan this season before returning to score five goals in the last five matches, and seen the likes of fellow striker Fabio Borini, Jack Colback and Lee Cattermole show marked improvements in form, Poyet would discuss with owner Ellis Short ways to improve the squad.

"We don’t want to be here again, that is fundamental," he said. "I don’t want another seven months like this. I’m strong but I don’t want to have a heart attack.

"If you keep playing with fire, you’re going to get burnt and Sunderland have had three seasons where they have been in this position and that needs to change."

(Reporting by Josh Reich; editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho fined over referee comments after key defeat

LONDON Thu May 8, 2014 8:39pm BST

r

Chelsea's coach Jose Mourinho reacts during their Champions League semi-final second leg soccer match against Atletico at Stamford Bridge in London, April 30, 2014. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh/Files

(Reuters) - Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been fined 10,000 pounds after sarcastically praising the match referee and English referees' chief following a key Premier League defeat last month, the FA said on Thursday.

The Londoners lost 2-1 at home to a struggling Sunderland side, which ended Mourinho's 77-game unbeaten league record at Stamford Bridge and hit their title bid, with Manchester City now poised to wrap up the championship this weekend.

"I want to congratulate again (referee) Mike Dean. I think his performance was unbelievable," Mourinho told reporters after a controversial Sunderland penalty, which led to his assistant Rui Faria being sent to the stands after a pitchside rant.

"And... congratulations also to Mike Riley, the referees’ boss. What they are doing through the whole season is fantastic, especially in the last couple of months, and in teams involved in the title race. Absolutely fantastic," Mourinho added.

Mourinho had denied the misconduct charge but the FA said in a statement on Thursday that an independent commission had ruled that his comments had brought the game into disrepute and the charge for improper conduct was found proven.

Faria has already been handed a six-match stadium ban and a 30,000 pounds fine after admitting misconduct charges.

In a separate case involving another defeat for Chelsea in the title run-in, the often outspoken Mourinho lost his appeal against a decision to fine him 8,000 pounds in relation to his actions after Chelsea’s 1-0 loss at Aston Villa in March.

The Portuguese coach entered the field of play and approached the referee at the end of the game and the FA panel on Thursday upheld a ruling of improper conduct.

(Writing by Mark Meadows; editing by Ken Ferris)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United will finish above Manchester City next season, vows Bobby Charlton

401082_heroa.jpg

By Josh Wright43
May 9, 2014 12:58:00 PM

The Red Devils legend "guarantees" that his old side will bounce back from their disastrous 2013-14 to regain their status as the top club in the city after "a couple" of buys

Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton has promised fans that the Red Devils will usurp Manchester City as the No.1 club in the city next season.

After a difficult year in which United were twice thrashed by Manuel Pellegrini's side, their rivals are now one win away from securing the Premier League title.

David Moyes was sacked in April as a result of the reigning champions' struggles, with the chance to leapfrog Tottenham into sixth place the most to which they can look forward on the final day, but Charlton is confident that they will be able to turn their fortunes around swiftly.

The club's record goalscorer told reporters: "This year has been a tremendously interesting year.

"We have done our best. We have changed manager and it has not worked but next year I guarentee that we will be No.1 in Manchester.

"We will have to buy a couple of players, which will happen. I am looking forward a lot to next year because Manchester United is not renowned for being second.

"We like to be first and we will be first. We have the most fantastic organisation and that organisation when it works is unstoppable."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City striker Aguero fit to face West Ham

390102_heroa.jpg

By Harry West24
May 9, 2014 4:30:00 PM

Manuel Pellegrini says his whole squad is fit for the final game of the season at the Etihad with the league leaders needing only a point to clinch the Premier League title

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed that star striker Sergio Aguero will be available for his side's final game of the season against West Ham on Sunday.

The Argentina striker limped out of Saturday's 3-2 win at Everton with a groin injury, and missed the 4-0 victory over Aston Villa on Wednesday.

City go into Sunday's fixture knowing a point will likely be enough to seal a second title in three years, barring a miraculous 13-goal triumph for Liverpool against Newcastle United.

In a press conference on Friday, coach Manuel Pellegrini confirmed that "the whole squad is fit".

"It is very important because for a manager, if you have your whole squad and can choose between all your players, it is the most important thing for a manager," he told reporters.

Despite only needing a point, the Chilean insists that he will not be setting his side out to play for a draw.

"Preparing the game here is one game more," he added. "We must prepare the same way.

"I expect to win. We are thinking not of winning one point but just to win the match and the best way to do it is to play the way we always do.

"It is the work from the whole year that we play but also it is a normal game because I think the best way to do it is to repeat what we do all season so far here.

"I think it is very important of the manager to be calm, to try to repeat what we did the whole year."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lucas hoping Carroll & Downing do Liverpool a favour

395783_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic10
May 9, 2014 8:43:00 PM

The pair, who left Anfield last summer, take on league leaders Manchester City and can hand the Merseysiders the chance to claim the title should they win at the Etihad Stadium

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva plans to bombard West Ham duo Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing with texts asking for favours on Sunday.

Brendan Rodgers' men need the Hammers to beat league leaders Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on the final day, which would mean a victory against Newcastle would give the Reds a first league title in 24 years.

And Lucas says he will be asking Carroll and Downing, who both moved to Upton Park from Anfield on permanent deals last summer, to do their former team a favour.

Asked if he would send them texts, Lucas said: "Yeah. Of course.

"They have been here with us, working with us and I'm sure they will do their best to get points for West Ham first and if they can help us.

"But it's not in our hands anymore. Against Crystal Palace (in a 3-3 draw) for eight or nine minutes we just switched off and paid the price. We have to learn from that.

"We just have to improve and see if we can get any luck now until the end of the season, even if we know it is hard now."

Liverpool threw away a three-goal lead against Palace at Selhurt Park and Lucas admitted the team struggled to deal with such a calamitous defeat.

"It was very quiet in the dressing room after the game, probably the most quiet I have ever seen since I joined the club,” the Brazilian added.

"You could see on the faces of the players at the awards on Tuesday that we still hadn't recovered from the Palace game. The day after is always the worst."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea will sign a striker, confirms Mourinho

398848_heroa.jpg

By Harry West115
May 9, 2014 3:19:00 PM

The Portuguese has reiterated the need for the Blues to bolster their attacking options with Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa set to move to Stamford Bridge this summer

Jose Mourinho has confirmed Chelsea will sign a striker this summer as the club look to bounce back from a trophyless season.

Mourinho returned to Chelsea in June 2013 after a six-year absence, but has failed to deliver any silverware in his first season back in London, with the club looking set to finish third in the Premier League.

There was disappointment in Europe, too, with Mourinho's men suffering a semi-final exit at the hands of Atletico Madrid in the Champions League.

The Portuguese has not been shy in criticising his current strikers in public, with Samuel Eto'o, Fernando Torres and Demba Ba netting just 18 league goals between them this season.

And in his pre-match press conference on Friday, Mourinho reiterated Chelsea's need to bolster their attacking options, following Atletico striker Diego Costa having agreed to move to Stamford Bridge at the end of the season in a deal worth €42 million.

"The striker is something we are speaking about for a long, long time," he said.

"In December and January, when all of you [the press] were asking why we were not bringing a striker, I was clear in saying it's something we were working on, that we were preparing the long-term future and not just an immediate solution.

"It's normal that we're going to bring a striker now. We have good strikers, good players, but it's the normal evolution of the team.

"Everyone wants the summer transfer window to improve and one area that we want to improve is the strikers' position."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the English Premier League

May 9 By STEVE DOUGLAS
AP Sports Writer

MANCHESTER, England — The gulf between the two Manchester clubs will be highlighted when the Premier League reaches its climax Sunday, with City set to clinch the title and United likely to miss out on European qualification for the first time since 1990.

864-zMokX.St.55.jpeg

Manchester City's Edin Dzeko, centre, celebrates with teammates after scoring his second goal against Aston Villa during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England, Wednesday May 7, 2014.

Who wins the league out of City and Liverpool, and who takes the last Europa League berth out of Tottenham and United, are two of the three outstanding issues to be resolved in the final round of matches.

The other issue is regarding which team takes the third relegation spot alongside Fulham and Cardiff — and that is almost guaranteed to be Norwich, which is three points behind West Bromwich Albion and with a far inferior goal difference.

Here are five things to know about Sunday's Premier League finale, when all 10 matches are played at the same time:

---

CITY ON BRINK

Two years ago, City put its fans through the wringer on the final day of the season before clinching the title on goal difference thanks to two goals in injury time to beat Queens Park Rangers at home.

It should be more routine this time around.

City realistically needs only a point at home against 12th-place West Ham to finish at the top, as the team is two points ahead of Liverpool and holding a goal difference 13 better than its title rival.

It would require a huge meltdown for City captain Vincent Kompany not to be holding the Premier League trophy aloft for the second time in three years — City has beaten West Ham three times this season already, with their one meeting at Etihad Stadium ending 6-0.

The experience of two years ago should serve City well.

---

FINGERS CROSSED

For the English championship trophy to return to Anfield for the first time in 24 years, Liverpool must beat Newcastle at home and hope for a huge favor from West Ham.

It's unlikely, but stranger things have happened. And doesn't Liverpool know it.

In 1989, Liverpool — at the time the biggest team in England — had to avoid losing by two goals or more to Arsenal at Anfield in the final game of the season to capture the league at the expense of the London club. In the most dramatic finish to an English league season, at least until two years ago, Arsenal scored in injury time through Michael Thomas to win 2-0.

Liverpool has to cling to some hope, although manager Brendan Rodgers doubts City will slip up and is already looking ahead to next season

"To be successful you have to be able to lose," Rodgers said. "If you look over the years the great winners have been teams and individuals who have lost and gone on to become champions again."

Liverpool is one goal away from reaching 100 for the season, a feat City achieved on Wednesday.

---

UNITED SET FOR WORST FINISH

The Europa League has proved more of a hindrance than a help for Premier League clubs, so missing out on qualifying for Europe's second-tier competition this season might be a blessing in disguise for Man United.

United heads into Sunday three points behind Tottenham, which is at home to Aston Villa. If Spurs lose and United wins at Southampton, United will finish climb to sixth.

Interim United manager Ryan Giggs has said that the Europa League has been a target for the club since dropping out of contention for the Champions League last month.

"I think it is important you have European football at Old Trafford," he said.

Whatever happens on Sunday, United will finish in its lowest ever position in the Premier League.

---

NORWICH'S CHANCES

Norwich's three-year stay in the Premier League is coming to an end.

The Canaries have three points and 17 goals to make up on West Brom on the final day, which will be beyond the wildest dreams of any Norwich fan.

Norwich is one of English football's so-called "yo-yo clubs," because of its habit of getting relegated and promoted so regularly.

---

FAREWELL FOR GIGGS?

The end of last season was awash with high-profile retirements, from Alex Ferguson to David Beckham to Paul Scholes. Not forgetting Liverpool greats Jamie Carragher and Michael Owen.

This season's big farewell may be given to Ryan Giggs.

The 40-year-old United midfielder has not decided whether to carry on his extraordinary career into a 24th season, so the match at Southampton could be his last — should he decide to play himself.

"I'll wait until the season has finished and then get a holiday and think about it in the next couple of weeks," Giggs said Tuesday.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aguero: I’ll play through the pain against West Ham

400810_heroa.jpg

May 9, 2014 11:12:00 PM

The Argentine is working hard to be fit for Manchester City’s final match of the season and is not expecting an easy game despite the Hammers having nothing left to play for

Sergio Aguero has pledged to play through the pain during Manchester City's game against West Ham on Sunday if he is not 100 per cent fit.

The Argentina international picked up a groin problem against Everton which ruled him out of City’s midweek clash with Aston Villa, a match the side won 4-0 in his absence to take control of the title race.

City’s healthy goal difference means a draw against the Hammers is likely to be enough to seal the title, and Aguero is eager to play a part at the Etihad Stadium.

“I feel good – I’m not 100% yet, but I should be by Sunday,” the 25-year-old told the club’s official website.

“Even if I’m not, the emotion of the occasion and the desire of everyone will carry me through and I won’t notice any pain.”

Aguero is no stranger to final-day heroics, having scored the goal that clinched the title in 2011-12, though the former Atletico Madrid hitman suspects West Ham will pose a different test to QPR, who were fighting for their own survival two years ago.

“I think it’s going to be different, but that doesn’t for one moment mean it’s going to be easier,” he continued.

“That gave them an extra edge – West Ham obviously want to come to the Etihad and beat us, but they don’t have any pressure on them so that makes it a different game.

“We still have a similar pressure on us as last time because we need a win to guarantee the title.”

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mackay and Cardiff agree settlement

Former Cardiff manager Malky Mackay has dropped his legal claim against the club after reaching a settlement on his sacking.

Malky.jpg

Saturday 10th May 2014

The terms of the agreement are being kept closely guarded but it is understood Mackay was seeking substantial compensation for his dismissal, which came in December after a difference of opinion with owner Vincent Tan about the direction of the club.

Tan has since criticised Mackay's efforts in preparing the side for the Barclays Premier League, but the Scot issued a conciliatory statement through lawyers on Friday in which he apologised "without reservation" to the Malaysian businessman.

Mackay's statement, released through Slater & Gordon Lawyers, read: "Today I have reached a settlement agreement dropping all claims I have made against Cardiff City Football Club. I did not want to be in litigation and believe that it is in the best interests of all parties to have a clean break and move on."

The statement continued: "I have enjoyed my time at Cardiff City and I am most grateful to the board of Cardiff City and Vincent Tan for giving me the opportunity. The club's owner Mr Vincent Tan invested heavily in the club and supported our decisions in our push for promotion to the Premier League. Without him this would not have been possible.

"My thanks to all those at the club and the fans who have supported me during my time in Wales. If I have caused any offence to anyone during this time, especially to Vincent Tan, then I apologise without reservation.

"I wish everyone associated with Cardiff City FC all the best for the future and thank them for their support.

"I will not be commenting further on this matter."

Despite winning promotion last year as second-tier champions, Tan and Mackay clashed over the club's summer recruitment drive, with disagreements over the nature and deployment of the agreed budget.

There was also an ugly episode in October when Mackay's trusted head of recruitment Iain Moody was sacked and the inexperienced Alisher Apsalyamov briefly hired before visa problems struck.

Once Mackay followed Moody out of the door on December 27, Tan was quick to praise his successor Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's methods even though the Bluebirds were ultimately relegated under the Norwegian.

The club responded with a brief statement of their own, echoing Mackay's comments and seeking to draw a line under the row for good.

"Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that Malky Mackay has dropped all legal claims against the club, bringing a number of issues to an end and allowing both parties to move on," it read.

"The agreement represents a positive outcome for the Club. We now look forward and focus fully on planning for next season and the challenge of regaining Premier League status."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho plans overhaul after vexing finale

AFP By Alec Kennedy May 11, 2014

fe2608578e0b8e1bc87f3ed612b4772dc8a1b965.jpg

Chelsea's Fernando Torres (R) reacts after the final whistle during their English Premier League match against Norwich at Stamford Bridge on May 4, 2014

Cardiff (United Kingdom) (AFP) - Jose Mourinho's thoughts are already turning to next season after Chelsea's interest in the Premier League title race was ended before their final-day trip to Cardiff City.

Mourinho's team will face Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's relegated side at the Cardiff City Stadium on Sunday knowing they are almost certain to finish the season in third position.

But while qualification for the Champions League has been assured, Blues boss Mourinho is clearly frustrated there will be no silverware at Stamford Bridge this season.

Chelsea's challenge has fallen short because of their failures in front of goal, particularly in costly defeats to Sunderland, Aston Villa and Crystal Palace.

Mourinho's priority is now to remedy that weakness in the transfer market and the Portuguese coach has confirmed a leading goalscorer is his main target.

Atletico Madrid's Diego Costa is believed to be a priority, along with Paris Saint-Germain pair Edinson Cavani and Ezequiel Lavezzi.

And Mourinho said: "A striker is something we have been speaking about for a long time.

"In December and January, when people were asking and trying to understand why we weren't bringing one in, I said it's something we were working on and preparing for the long-term future, not just an immediate solution to try to help us for the rest of the season.

"It's normal that we are going to bring a striker, it's normal we want to improve.

"We have good strikers, we have good players and we are not in a desperate situation, but every team wants the summer window to improve.

"And one area where we want to improve, which we've made clear since January, is the striker's position. We have three at the moment, normally one is coming and one is leaving."

Mourinho expects the World Cup to delay Chelsea's efforts to strengthen and he added: "More and more, if the window is open until 31 August people delay, they react and wait to see what is happening with their own players.

"It's very difficult to finalise deals early, especially with the World Cup. Now the players disappear and go to the World Cup so it's more of a time to find a direction and analyse details.

"To decide the project for next season, the project for the transfer window and make the deals happen."

Out-of-contract pair Frank Lampard and John Terry are unlikely to make the trip to south Wales because of injury, while Samuel Eto'o is also a doubt.

- Cardiff bid to sign off on a high -

Cardiff's fate has already been confirmed and the club will drop back into the Championship after a solitary season in the Premier League.

The campaign has been marked by a number of bitter twists and turns, principally surrounding the relationship between club owner Vincent Tan and Malky Mackay, the manager who guided the club to promotion before being sacked in December.

The relationship between the pair had grown acrimonious and Mackay was pursuing legal action against Tan before unexpectedly dropping the action this week and offering an unreserved apology to his former employer.

In a statement Mackay said: "My thanks to those at the club and the fans who have supported me during my time in Wales.

"If I have caused any offence to anyone during this time, especially to Vincent Tan, then I apologise without reservation."

Solskjaer's priority is now to look forward to next season and skipper Steven Caulker admits performances this season have not been good enough.

"We can't point fingers, we're a team in there and we're all united," he said.

"We know that we have to go again against Chelsea, be strong and put a performance on for the fans.

"We were not good enough on the pitch. We've got to hold our hands up and take responsibility for the way we've performed in too many games this season."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City crowned Premier League champions

r

May 11, 2014 4:50:00 PM

Goals from Samir Nasri & Vincent Kompany handed Manuel Pellegrini's side their second league title in three years, while Liverpool came from behind to beat Newcastle at Anfield

Manchester City have been crowned Premier League champions after their comfortable 2-0 victory over West Ham at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The result rendered Liverpool's 2-1 win against Newcastle meaningless and sees City lift the title for the second time in three years, having missed out to Manchester United last season.

The trophy marks Manuel Pellegrini's first league league title since leaving South America for Europe in July 2004, and is his second piece of silverware this term after guiding City to Capital One Cup glory earlier this year.

A goal in each half from Samir Nasri and Vincent Kompany sealed the win over West Ham, while Liverpool went a goal down at Anfield and required second-half strikes from Daniel Agger and Daniel Sturridge to end their campaign with a victory.

Chelsea were also forced to come from behind in their final game of the season at Cardiff City. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side, who were already relegated prior to the match, took the lead through Craig Bellamy but goals from Andre Schurrle and Fernando Torres secured the win for Jose Mourinho’s charges, who finished in third spot.

Ryan Giggs finished his stint in temporary charge of Manchester United with a 1-1 draw at Southampton after Juan Mata cancelled out Rickie Lambert’s opener.

Tottenham secured their place in next season’s Europa League with a 3-0 victory over Aston Villa at White Hart Lane.

At the other end of the table, Norwich's relegation was confirmed; the Canaries were beaten by 2-0 Arsenal at Carrow Road and will join Cardiff and Fulham in the Championship next term.