• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

dQkeEBZ.jpg

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

345521_thumb.jpg

Taarabt: Fulham squad as much to blame as sacked Jol
The midfielder, on loan from QPR, says the players must look closer to home following the manager's dismissal on Sunday, after a run of five consecutive defeats

228191_thumb.jpg

Martinez: Heitinga could leave Everton in January
The Dutchman's only two games this season have come in the Capital One Cup, with a defensive partnership of Phil Jagielka and Sylvain Distin preferred by the manager

346502_thumb.jpg

Ben Arfa & Cisse have to be patient, says Pardew
The midfielder and striker have had to settle for a place on the substitutes' bench as Newcastle racked up four straight wins, with the manager hesitant to alter his starting XI

343081_thumb.jpg

Coutinho fit for Liverpool to face Norwich
Reds manager Brendan Rodgers expects the playmaker to be available after playing part of Sunday's defeat to Hull City and is also hopeful of a swift recovery by Kolo Toure

344293_thumb.jpg

Mourinho urges Chelsea to take 'responsibility'
The Blues manager wants his side to rise to the challenge of a Premier League title push as they prepare to face three teams scrapping at the bottom of the table

286292_thumb.jpg

Everton reunion for Moyes no concern - Roberto Martinez
Though the Manchester United manager will take on the Toffees for the first time since leaving for Old Trafford, his successor at Goodison Park plays down its significance

346368_thumb.jpg

Liverpool defence urged to improve by Rodgers
The Anfield outfit lost 3-1 to Hull City on Sunday, with several of the Reds' back-line at fault, and the Northern Irishman has called on his side to re-find their solidity

345635_thumb.jpg

West Brom's Mulumbu reveals Arsenal approach
The 26-year-old midfielder says the Premier League leaders have enquired about his services, while he also blasted the Baggies' lack of maturity in recent matches

346227_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini hopeful over Kompany return against West Brom
The centre-back has been out of action since October 5, but is back in contention for the trip to The Hawthorns as the Etihad Stadium side aim to correct their poor away form

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1017884_10_preview.jpg

Hodgson unapologetic over Sturridge
England manager Roy Hodgson has no regrets over his decision to play Daniel Sturridge against Germany last month.

1019310_10_preview.jpg

Lambert hits back at Villa criticism
Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert has called for a reality check after insisting every aspect of the club is improving following a difficult last season.

1019308_10_preview.jpg

Patience key to Carroll return, says Allardyce
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce will adopt a hard-line approach to ensuring Andy Carroll returns to action only when he is ready.

1018083_10_preview.jpg

Bruce defends Allam's controversial comments
Hull manager Steve Bruce believes club owner Assem Allam was misinterpreted when he said fans against him renaming the club Hull Tigers can "die as soon as they want".

1008475_10_preview.jpg

Hodgson: Rooney ready to dazzle at World Cup
England manager Roy Hodgson is hopeful Wayne Rooney can keep up his fine form for Manchester United and then transfer it to the World Cup stage in Brazil.

1019304_10_preview.jpg

Welbeck rues United's set-piece frailty
Striker Danny Welbeck says Manchester United must stop giving away cheap and damaging free-kicks if they are to climb the table.

1019294_10_preview.jpg

Jedinak signs new Palace deal
Crystal Palace captain Mile Jedinak has committed his future to the club after signing a new three-and-a-half-year deal.

1019288_10_preview.jpg

Arteta: Gunners in confident mood
Mikel Arteta believes that Arsenal made "a big statement" with their comprehensive victory at Cardiff.

1019286_10_preview.jpg

Pardew enjoying the fight for places
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has revealed he has had players knocking on his door desperate for a chance to force their way into his in-form team.

1019284_10_preview.jpg

Terry insists Chelsea will get better
John Terry has vowed Chelsea will get better and better in the most open Barclays Premier League title race the Blues captain can recall.

1019282_10_preview.jpg

Nasri ready for tough month ahead
Samir Nasri knows the crunch could come for Manchester City this month as they look to reel in Barclays Premier League leaders Arsenal.

1019276_10_preview.jpg

Rodgers wants Liverpool to take responsibility
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers accepts full blame for the surprise defeat at Hull but has called for his players to assume greater responsibility in general.

1019274_10_preview.jpg

Pulis admits Palace must turn the corner
Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis is aware his team must turn the corner and clinch their first home win .

1019272_10_preview.jpg

Hughton relishing Anfield test
Norwich manager Chris Hughton is raring to send his players back into action after their win over Crystal Palace.

1019270_10_preview.jpg

Hill joins Fulham staff
Fulham have appointed former Manchester United academy coach Jonathan Hill to work alongside new manager Rene Meulensteen.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ex-United youth coach Hill replaces sacked McKinlay as Fulham reshape backroom staff

By DAVID KENTPUBLISHED: 13:30 GMT, 2 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:30 GMT, 2 December 2013

Fulham first-team coach Billy McKinlay has been sacked by the club on the day after Martin Jol’s departure as head coach.New coach Rene Meulensteen has revamped the back-room staff at Fulham with Jonathan Hill taking McKinlay’s place as first team coach.

article-2516876-117DF4DB000005DC-789_634x405.jpg

Out: McKinlay (right) has been sacked less than 24 hours after Dutchman Jol (left) was axed

McKinlay, who joined the club in 2004 and has become one of the Premier League’s most highly-rated young coaches, won 29 senior caps for Scotland before turning to coaching.Hill worked at Manchester United for a decade as Academy Youth Coach before he joined the Jordanian Football Association as Technical Director of Football in 2009 where he was responsible for all of the National Youth Teams from Under-8s to Under-20s. More recently, he has also spent time coaching at both Manchester City and Tromso FC.

article-2516876-19BBF6E000000578-887_634x406.jpg

Out and in: Meulensteen is making the big step up from assistant to manager following Martin Jol's sacking

In their club statement, Fulham also announced; ‘Development Team Manager Kit Symons will also be assisting with First Team training, alongside his responsibilities for the Under-21 Team.Michael Lindeman, Billy McKinlay and Cornelis Jol have left the Club and we would like to thank them for their service and wish them well for the future.’On Sunday, Jol was finally sacked after the club’s dismal start to the season.The Dutchman was summoned to a crisis meeting by chief executive Alistair Mackintosh at the club’s Motspur Park training HQ, when Jol’s two-and-a-half-year spell at Craven Cottage was brought to an end.The final straw was Fulham’s limp 3-0 surrender to West Ham on Saturday.

article-2515587-19BC6DE300000578-720_634x416.jpg

Hammer blow: Mohamed Diame, Carlton Cole and Joe Cole all scored to condemn Fulham to a 3-0 defeat on Saturday

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Taarabt: Fulham squad as much to blame as sacked Jol

345521_heroa.jpg

By Alex Smith4
Dec 2, 2013 9:42:00 PM

The midfielder, on loan from QPR, says the players must look closer to home following the manager's dismissal on Sunday, after a run of five consecutive defeats

Adel Taarabt says the Fulham squad should take as much of the blame as sacked manager Martin Jol for the club's lowly Premier League standing.

Jol was sacked on Sunday following the a 3-0 defeat at West Ham - their fifth Premier League loss in a row – which leaves them 18th, three points from safety.

The Dutchman was replaced immediately by head coach Rene Meulensteen, but Taarabt has questioned whether the former Tottenham boss was right to take the brunt of the abuse.

"What's gone wrong? I don't know," Taarabt told the Fulham Chronicle.

"The manager was a great guy; always positive but at the moment, it's not happening.

"If you don't win four or five or five games, the manager gets the blame - but I think the players should have this blame too.

"If we're not doing what we should on the pitch, then the players should be asked the same questions as he was asked."

Bryan Ruiz was also saddened by Jol’s sacking, especially after his manager backed him after being booed when he was substituted against Manchester United in November.

"I am very grateful to Martin because he was responsible for bringing me to Fulham, I learned a lot from him," said Ruiz.

"He came to my defence. I always tried to do my best to back him."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allardyce: Villas-Boas confrontration with press was immature

article-2516802-19BC680B00000578-451_634x453.jpg

By Peter Hanson15
Dec 2, 2013 3:20:00 PM

The Tottenham manager took umbrage with coverage of his team following Sunday's draw with Manchester United but the West Ham boss feels that he would have been better off quiet

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce believes that Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas should have shown more maturity in dealing with press criticism.

In a heated press conference that followed his side's 2-2 draw with Manchester United on Sunday, Villas-Boas hit out at what he perceived to be unfair coverage of Spurs from certain sections of the media.

However, Allardyce feels that the former Porto coach should have shown more restraint and used the criticism in his favour.

"You can't do it," he told talkSPORT. "You've got to take it on the chin. You have to use the criticism as a motivational drive to show these people that they are wrong.

"You, and your players, have got to do your talking on the field. I think he's just showed a little bit of immaturity.

"It can get under your skin but you can't let that happen because you're not going to win."

Ahead of West Ham's encounter with Crystal Palace on Tuesday, Allardyce told reporters that he "admired" Villas-Boas's nerve but maintained that his response was ill-advised.

He added: "However disappointed you may feel about what people say, in media terms, it's still much better keeping your powder dry.

"I admire him for having a go but I don't think it will do you any favours in the end, unfortunately.

"But I'd admire him for sticking up for himself and having a go for what he believes in. In all honesty, he's probably right."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There's not much difference between Moyes and Sir Alex, says Giggs

345268_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts27
Dec 2, 2013 1:47:00 PM

The Welshman says little has changed at Old Trafford following the 50-year-old's arrival, while praising the Scot's predecessor for turning him into the player he is today

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs believes new manager David Moyes is similar to Sir Alex Ferguson, though says he has yet to fully stamp his own mark on the squad.

The former Everton boss replaced the veteran Scot in the summer, and, after enduring a rough start to the season, has overseen 12 successive games unbeaten – including a win over league leaders Arsenal.

And Giggs, who turned 40 last week, has revealed that there is little difference between the two managers, while he believes Moyes has been wary of changing too much, too soon.

When asked if there are big differences between the two coaches' styles, Giggs told Absolute Radio: “No, not really. I think they're both quite similar.

“Of course the manager comes in to the champions, he doesn't want to change too much but he's going to want to put his own stamp on it.

“I think slowly over time, it will probably change a little, but at the moment, not a lot's changed.”

Giggs was full of praise for Ferguson, whom he played under throughout his Manchester United career, and says it was the Scot who played the biggest role in his illustrious career.

“The manager obviously really looked after me, especially in my career and wanted me to do well and wanted me to go on and fulfil my potential,” added the Welshman.

“So the manager is probably the biggest influence on my career, so I'm obviously grateful for the way he handled me.”

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EPL preview: 5 things to watch this week

Tuesday 03 Dec 2013 8:37a.m.

Aaron_Ramsey-1200.jpg

Aaron Ramsey (Reuters file)

By Steve Douglas

Tight at the back, irresistible going forward and possessing arguably the player of the season so far in Aaron Ramsey, Arsenal appears to have finally convinced critics that the team is a genuine contender for the Premier League title.

Arsene Wenger and his team head into the upcoming round of midweek matches with a four-point lead over Chelsea and with growing belief that a trophy drought stretching back to 2005 can be ended this season.

Arsenal hosts Hull on Wednesday, when Chelsea visits Sunderland and third-place Manchester City looks for an improvement in its dreadful away form in a match at West Bromwich Albion.

Here are five things to know about this week's Premier League games:

HIGH-FLYING RAMSEY

Testing games against Everton, Manchester City and Chelsea lie in wait for Arsenal as it looks to stay at the top of the Premier League heading into 2014. First up for the leaders, though, is a home match against Hull.

Since losing to Aston Villa on the opening day of the season, Arsenal has won all five of its league matches at Emirates Stadium. And it would be a major surprise if it isn't six straight victories on Wednesday, especially with Ramsey in such brilliant form.

His two goals in Saturday's win at Cardiff took his tally to 15 goals for club and country this season.

"If he keeps playing like that, of course (he will be player of the year), but it has only been a third of the season," Wenger said. "Let's not forget that one year ago everyone questioned him. That shows you that he deserves credit for that, he has turned a corner and he can continue to improve."

MEULENSTEEN'S DEBUT

After five straight losses, something needed to be done to halt Fulham's slide down the Premier League.

So new owner Shahid Khan did what many were expecting and fired Martin Jol, who had been looking increasingly beleaguered and helpless.

His replacement is Rene Meulensteen, who last season was one of the masterminds behind Manchester United's title-winning campaign before being recruited a month ago to help out Jol. His task at Fulham couldn't be more different to what he experienced at Old Trafford.

"I know what is required at the top end of the Premier League," the Dutchman said. "This is a different challenge with different pressure. This is making sure you realize the need to keep three teams below you."

Meulensteen's first match in charge is against Tottenham on Wednesday.

NASRI REBORN

Samir Nasri feels loved again at Manchester City, and it's showing in his performances on the field.

The France midfielder has been infuriatingly inconsistent for City since joining from Arsenal in 2011, losing his way completely in the final months of Roberto Mancini's tenure last season. Mancini even joked that he felt like punching Nasri for regularly dropping below the standards he was capable of.

Under City manager Manuel Pellegrini, Nasri is smiling, not sulking, and has been one of the team's star performers over the last two months as it qualified for the knockout stage of the Champions League and looks to chase down Arsenal in the Premier League.

Two goals in the 3-0 win over Swansea on Sunday followed another in the 4-2 victory over Viktoria Plzen in Europe on Wednesday. He is also picking up plenty of assists.

It shows just how well Nasri is playing that City has hardly missed the creative skills of injured Spain playmaker David Silva over the last few games.

MOYES VS. EVERTON

Everton spent 11 years under David Moyes trying to get above Manchester United in the Premier League standings. Only now that Moyes has left - ironically to take over at United - has the feat been achieved.

The Merseyside club is two points and three spots above eighth-place United heading into their match at Old Trafford on Wednesday, when Moyes is expected to receive a warm reception from away fans for his decade of service at Everton.

There were fears over Everton's future when Moyes decided to replace Alex Ferguson at United but they have been dispelled by Roberto Martinez, who has taken the team up a level in his six months in charge.

Confidence is high after beating Stoke 4-0 on Sunday but United is unbeaten in 12 matches, and Moyes appears to have got over the sticky start to his near-impossible task of succeeding Ferguson.

The form of Wayne Rooney has been key to that, with the England striker back to his best form with three goals in his last two league games - and 10 in all competitions for United this season.

NO STURRIDGE

Stung by a surprise 3-1 loss to Hull, Liverpool will be eager to prove the wheels aren't falling off their top-four bid in Wednesday's home match against Norwich.

Losing top scorer Daniel Sturridge for up to eight weeks because of injury will test the resources and squad depth of manager Brendan Rodgers, especially with matches coming in quick succession over the festive period in England.

"This little period will test us now," Rodgers said, "but players will come in and it's a great opportunity to a stake a claim."

The onus will be on Luis Suarez - Liverpool's only fully fit, out-and-out striker - to continue his brilliant form since returning from a ban for biting and keep the team in contention for a return to the Champions League.

Liverpool dropped two places to fourth after that disappointing display at Hull and there are five clubs - including United and Everton - within three points.

AP

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday December 4 2013

Ozil: London life more reserved

By Football Espana staff

ozil-arsenal-again490ai.jpg

Mesut Ozil has enthused at the quieter life he has in London compared with Madrid, and asserts that the Premier League is the ‘best league in the world’.

The German completed a late summer transfer out of Real Madrid to Arsenal and has enjoyed a strong start to life in England.

For the 25-year-old, settling into things away from the pitch has helped with work on it.

“London is just incredible. It's a lot of fun living here. There's always something going on,” Ozil has enthused in an interview in the latest issue of FourFourTwo.

“I’m also happy that I can have my private life here. In Madrid, all hell broke loose wherever you went, but in London it’s much more reserved.

“The Premier League? I have played in the three strongest leagues in the world, so I know what I am talking about when I say that, for me, the Premier League is the best.

“It is competitive and anyone can beat anyone.”

The playmaker was asked once more why he chose to leave Real Madrid for Arsenal.

“The reason I signed for Arsenal was not that there were other Germans players at the club.

“It was because the manager convinced me. As a player you need the manager's trust and the club's trust. And I felt this from Arsene Wenger and the club.

“That's why I made my decision. Of course I talked to the Germans guys about what the club is like, what the city is like, But the crucial thing was the manager's trust.”

The German international still maintains who his inspiration was growing up.

“I used to play with my brother and his friends. They were five years older and all taller than me. So it wasn't easy to assert myself.

“But I learnt how to prevail and that's when all they said: ‘you are going to make it’. I just wanted to have fun and be like my favourite player, Zinedine Zidane.”

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger & Mourinho insist Manchester United remain in title race

347247_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie15
Dec 5, 2013 7:59:00 AM

David Moyes' side are now 12 points behind league leaders Arsenal following Wednesday's defeat to Everton at Old Trafford but they have been backed to challenge for the title

Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho both insist Manchester United remain in the title race despite the Premier League champions falling to a 1-0 defeat at home to Everton on Wednesday evening.

Bryan Oviedo’s 86th-minute strike secured the win for Roberto Martinez’s men which has left David Moyes’ side 12 points behind league leaders Arsenal with 14 games played.

The Gunners registered a 2-0 victory over Hull City following goals in each half from Nicklas Bendtner and Mesut Ozil but Wenger maintains it would be wrong to write off United at this stage of the season.

“It’s still early,” said the Frenchman.

“It’s a surprising defeat but it’s still early. We’ve seen it before - 12 points on us - but of course we just have to keep winning to have a chance and not worry too much about the others.”

Chelsea remain second in the table, four points behind Arsenal, following their 4-3 victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

And when asked if United remain in contention to retain their title, Mourinho replied: “It's difficult but with Manchester United everything is possible.”

Moyes, whose side have won just three out of their seven league games at home this term, concedes United are in need of consistency if they are to mount a challenge in the Premier League.

"We will need to play some great football and win an awful lot of games in the run-in if we are going to be in there and around it come the end of the season."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

347164_thumb.jpg

Unstoppable Suarez brings magic back to Anfield
The Uruguayan's four-goal haul at home to Norwich was a spectacular sight to behold for Liverpool fans who have become accustomed to his genuinely world-class performances

347246_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini hails change in away fortune for Manchester City
The Chilean insists his side have deserved more from their travels so far this season and revealed he was satisfied with the control his players enjoyed against West Brom

347238_thumb.jpg

Manchester United have no excuses for Everton defeat - Moyes
Bryan Oviedo scored the only goal of the game as the Toffees snatched their first victory at Old Trafford in 21 years and piled the misery on their former manager

345224_thumb.jpg

Poyet: Chelsea will win the Premier League
After his side lost 4-3 to Jose Mourinho's men, the Uruguayan has no doubt that the Blues will go all the way in the league this season, also hailing midfielder Eden Hazard

347218_thumb.jpg

Rodgers: Suarez is one of the best strikers in the world
The Uruguayan scored four times as Liverpool beat Norwich City 5-1 at Anfield and the Northern Irishman reserved nothing but praise for the 26-year-old

347229_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Hazard delivered his best against Sunderland
The Chelsea manager claims the Belgium international registered his most impressive display of the season, which included an assist and two goals

347206_thumb.jpg

Martinez hails 'arrogant' Everton display after Old Trafford upset
The Spaniard was buoyed by his side's confidence in their victory over Manchester United, which has left the Premier League champions 12 points behind Arsenal

347212_thumb.jpg

West Brom 2-3 Manchester City: Pellegrini's men survive late scare
The hosts scored two goals late on but Sergio Aguero and Yaya Toure, who scored twice, did enough to give the visitors only their second away league win of the season

347163_thumb.jpg

Fulham 1-2 Tottenham: Late Holtby strike ruins Meulensteen debut
The Germany international's left-footed striker beat Maarten Stekelenburg eight minutes from time after Vlad Chiriches had cancelled out Ashkan Dejagah's opener

347165_thumb.jpg

Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Inspired Hazard downs Black Cats
The Belgian struck twice to inspire the Blues to victory after a seven-goal thriller which also saw Jozy Altidore and Frank Lampard score and Phil Bardsley net at both ends

347168_thumb.jpg

Swansea City 3-0 Newcastle: Dyer & Shelvey down Pardew's men
The visitors' run of four Premier League wins in a row came to a shuddering halt as Michael Laudrup's side ran riot at the Liberty Stadium, scoring goals either side of the break

347147_thumb.jpg

Southampton 2-3 Aston Villa: Delph screamer condemns Saints to third straight defeat
The midfielder beat Paulo Gazzaniga from long range to give Paul Lambert's men the win after Jay Rodriguez, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Dani Osvaldo and Libor Kozak had netted

347158_thumb.jpg

Stoke City 0-0 Cardiff City: Strugglers play out stalemate
In a game devoid of any creativity, both sides failed to score and stay on 14 points for the season, keeping them within touching distance of each other in the Premier League

347151_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 0-1 Everton: Oviedo late show ruins reunion for Moyes
The hosts fell to the Toffees at Old Trafford for the first time in 21 years as the champions' title rivals opened up a further a gap on them at the top of the table

347164_thumb.jpg

Liverpool 5-1 Norwich City: Stunning Suarez haul destroys hapless visitors
The Uruguayan became the first player in Premier League history to score three hat-tricks against the same opposition, while Raheem Sterling added a late fifth for the hosts

347159_thumb.jpg

Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil see off Tigers
The Dane netted on his first start for almost three years to give the Gunners a second-minute lead before the £40 million man ensured they remain clear at the top

346022_thumb.jpg

Rodgers looks to Aspas & Alberto to lift Liverpool
With the Reds looking short on options up front, the Northern Irishman wants his Spanish summer signings to step up after taking some time to adapt to life in the Premier League

317049_thumb.jpg

Agent: Berbatov wants Fulham exit in January
The former Tottenham and Manchester United striker wants to quit Craven Cottage during the next transfer window, his representative reveals

346819_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: City under most pressure to win title
The Blues boss feels Manuel Pellegrini must deliver silverware given the strength of his squad, while voicing doubts over how stringently the FFP regulations are being enforced

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shelvey denies head-butt on Debuchy, but Pardew convinced he should have seen red

By RIATH AL-SAMARRAI PUBLISHED: 23:38 GMT, 4 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:04 GMT, 5 December 2013

Jonjo Shelvey was forced to deny he should have been sent off after helping Swansea to a 3-0 win over Newcastle at the Liberty Stadium. Shelvey appeared to make contact after aiming a head-butt at Magpies defender Mathieu Debuchy before later completing the win with the Swans' third goal. The midfielder had also earlier played a key role in his side's second, when his run ended with the ball ricocheting back off Debuchy and into the net, but it was his altercation with the Frenchman that was the talking point afterwards.

article-0-19D90A1000000578-821_634x356.jpg

Lucky boy: For all his good work on the ball Jonjo Shelvey (left) was lucky to get away with this headbutt on Mathieu Debuchy (right)

Asked if he had head-butted Debuchy, Shelvey told BT Sport: 'That's what you think. Nowadays you can't do anything. 'I was trying to move to get out of the way. That's life at the end of the day.' Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was certain he should have seen red, though, saying: 'He shouldn't be on the pitch to score a third.'

article-0-19D8E75F00000578-315_634x420.jpg

Main man: Jonjo Shelvey was in top form for Swansea as they claimed their second home win of the season

article-0-19D88C9200000578-117_634x417.jpg

Not impressed: Newcastle boss Alan Pardew believes Jonjo Shelvey should have been sent off

article-0-19D92CE000000578-664_634x417.jpg

Pick that one out: Jonjo Shelvey scored a stunning goal from 25-yards to wrap up a 3-0 win

Pardew was also annoyed that his side, who were outplayed for large parts, were denied two penalty claims. Ben Davies appeared to stop a goal-bound Loic Remy shot with his hand while the striker went down under pressure in his own box before Shelvey broke forward for his side's second. 'I'm still waiting for an explanation,' Pardew said. 'The ball was going in the net and he (Davies) stuck an arm out. All our players have reacted. From the second they went up and scored. I'm aggrieved about the decisions.

article-0-19D8EDBB00000578-290_634x341.jpg

Bad decision: Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is convinced his side should have been awarded a penalty for a handball by Ben Davies

'In all honesty though Swansea played terrific and we weren't good enough to cope at times. 'In the second half we pushed and when you push you need decisions to got your way - we've had two decisions go against us.' Swansea boss Michael Laudrup was pleased with a much-needed win secured with first-choice forwards Michu and Wilfried Bony out injured. 'We played some very good football without a striker,' he said.

article-0-19D8B4D300000578-377_634x378.jpg

No striker: Swansea played without a recognised striker but still managed to score three goals

'We had to play with two offensive midfielders. Newcastle have had a fantastic run and had consecutive wins - it was 3-0 today and playing like that everyone can be pleased.' Laudrup also claimed there was no contact in the Shelvey incident, adding: 'I've seen it. They're there but no contact. 'I know Jonjo and he's not trying to hurt anyone. He's passionate to the limit.'

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allardyce lied to me! Chamakh slams West Ham boss after sticking boot in for Palace

By SAM CUNNINGHAM PUBLISHED: 09:51 GMT, 5 December 2013 | UPDATED: 09:51 GMT, 5 December 2013

Marouane Chamakh claims that former manager Sam Allardyce lied to him when he joined West Ham on loan. The Crystal Palace striker found the perfect retort with the winning goal in their 1-0 victory on Tuesday night which left Allardyce fuming. Chamakh was barely given a chance at West Ham and was to just two starts and one appearance as a substitute in a six-month loan spell starting in January this year.

article-2518608-062C4F2E00000514-535_634x395.jpg

Heads, you win: Marouane Chamakh scored the winner for Crystal Palace against his former club West Ham

'When I was there it was a really good atmosphere and really good fans I just had a problem with the manager,' Chamakh said. 'I told that when I came [to Crystal Palace]. He lied to me. I came he said you will play with Andy Carroll I played just three games and after that I did not play one more minute so I think it was a good response and answer from me on the pitch.'I am really satisfied but after that I really don’t care because when I tell you I really like this team. The players were fantastic with me the last six months. The fans too, I just had a problem with the manager.'

article-2518608-033600A200000514-542_306x423.jpg
article-2518608-19D1DD9100000578-631_306x423.jpg

You lied to me: Chamakh claims Sam Allardyce (R) did not deliver on his promises to play him alongside Andy Carroll as he made just three appearances for the Hammers during a loan spell from Arsenal last season

Chamakh's glancing header in the first half was his first goal in 11 matches but in only the second game of new boss Tony Pulis's reign. The former Stoke manager will like what he saw of Chamakh in his first win at the club at his very first home game. But the former Arsenal player is just keen to get time on the pitch after being restricted under Allardyce and insists he will happily play anywhere – even in defence. 'I change my game with Pulis,' he added. 'I am playing a little bit more like a midfielder than striker so it is difficult to change but it is okay. I am happy like that because I play. I can play right back, left back, anywhere, I have to play.'

article-2518608-19D17A3800000578-530_634x468.jpg

All smiles: Chamakh's goal against West Ham gave new Palace boss Tony Pulis his first win in charge

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EPL wrap: Suarez puts four past Norwich

Thursday 05 Dec 2013 11:41a.m.

Luis_Suarez-1200.jpg

Luis Suarez (AAP file)

Arsenal preserved their four-point lead by beating Hull City and Manchester United's cause was not helped by further victories for title rivals Chelsea, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool, for whom Luis Suarez scored four goals in a 5-1 thrashing of Norwich City.

Arsenal remain the front-runners after a straightforward 2-0 win over Hull at the Emirates Stadium.

Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner was handed his first Arsenal start since March 2011 and he made an immediate impact by opening the scoring in the second minute with a header from a Carl Jenkinson cross.

Mesut Ozil claimed the second goal early in the second half, ghosting onto Aaron Ramsey's neat pass and beating goalkeeper Allan McGregor at his near post.

Chelsea remain Arsenal's nearest challengers, but they had to come from behind to beat bottom club Sunderland 4-3 in a thrilling encounter at the Stadium of Light.

Jozy Altidore gave the home side a 14th-minute lead, only for goals from Frank Lampard and Eden Hazard to put Chelsea in front at half-time.

John O'Shea profited from some slack defending to draw Sunderland level early in the second period, but Hazard quickly restored the visitors' lead after a slick one-two with Lampard.

The game's final stages belonged to Sunderland full-back Phil Bardsley, who scored an own goal in the 84th minute before quickly atoning by scoring at the other end two minutes later.

City are two points behind Chelsea after winning 3-2 at West Bromwich Albion in a game delayed by 15 minutes due to traffic congestion.

Manuel Pellegrini's side - for whom captain Vincent Kompany made his first start since October 5 - went 3-0 up through Sergio Aguero and a Yaya Toure brace.

An own goal from City goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon and a late Victor Anichebe effort gave West Brom hope, but City held on.

The stand-out performance of the evening came at Anfield, where Suarez claimed his third hat-trick against Norwich in a magnificent individual performance.

He lobbed John Ruddy from 32 metres in the 15th minute, tapped home his second from a corner and then completed his hat-trick 10 minutes before half-time with a crisp 16-metre half-volley.

His fourth goal, an inch-perfect 22-metre free-kick, took his tally of league goals to 13, and he even had time to set up a late goal for Raheem Sterling after Bradley Johnson had replied for Norwich.

The result left Liverpool in fourth place, a point shy of City and above Everton on goal difference.

Tottenham are three points back in sixth place, having spoilt Rene Meulensteen's first game as Fulham manager by coming from behind to win 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

Ashkan Dejagah put the hosts head in the 57th minute, but Vlad Chiriches and Lewis Holtby scored in the last 17 minutes to ease the pressure on Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Newcastle United's four-game winning run came to an abrupt halt in a 3-0 defeat at Swansea City, while Aston Villa overcame stubborn resistance to win 3-2 at Southampton. The game between Stoke City and Cardiff City finished goalless.

AFP

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EPL preview: 5 things to watch this week

Friday 06 Dec 2013 8:04a.m.

Wayne_Rooney-1200.jpg

Wayne Rooney (AAP file)

By Steve Douglas

Manchester United has swayed from crisis to recovery in a turbulent first few months of David Moyes' tenure at Old Trafford.

A week ago, the English champions were celebrating early qualification from the group stage of the Champions League after its biggest away win in Europe in nearly 50 years. Seven days later and their Premier League title chances appear to be in tatters after a 1-0 home loss to Everton that left United in ninth place, 12 points off leader Arsenal.

With the top three of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City finding some good form, United cannot afford another slip-up at home against Newcastle on Sunday.

Here are five things to know about this weekend's matches in the Premier League:

ROONEY OUT

United has picked up only two points from its last three matches to slip way off the pace set by Arsenal, and the frustration at the club's slide is showing on Wayne Rooney.

In the 2-2 draw at Cardiff on Nov. 24, the England striker was fortunate to escape with a booking after kicking out at an opponent as he chased a long ball forward. Then, against Everton, he earned another yellow card for leading with his elbow on Phil Jagielka, his fifth booking of the season, leading to a suspension for this weekend.

That's a major blow for Moyes, with Rooney having been easily United's best player this season with 10 goals in all competitions. Throw in fellow striker Robin van Persie's continued absence with toe and groin injuries and United's problems in central midfield that have been exacerbated by an injury to Michael Carrick, and Moyes has problems ahead of the Newcastle game.

History in on United's side, though - Newcastle hasn't won in the league at Old Trafford since 1972.

BUOYANT EVERTON

After ending a 21-year wait for victory at United, is it too much to ask for Everton to secure a first win at Arsenal since 1996?

Probably, given Arsenal's recent run that has seen the team win its last four games without conceding a goal, but Everton is in good form itself after backing up a 4-0 victory at Stoke with that win at Old Trafford.

In Roberto Martinez, Everton has one of the country's most highly rated young managers. And he is getting the best out of a young, hungry squad. The team is currently fifth and a top-four finish is not out of the question.

"I have always felt this squad is capable of going anywhere in this league and playing teams eye-to-eye," Martinez said after beating United. "I told the boys afterwards that this gives a real indication of what can be achieved."

SUPER SUAREZ

First it was Sergio Aguero at Man City. Now it's Luis Suarez being compared to Spanish league stars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo by his manager after a four-goal show for Liverpool in the 5-1 thrashing of Norwich on Wednesday.

After a 45-yard volley, a sublime solo effort and then a curling free kick, it was no surprise to see Brendan Rodgers purring at the striker who wanted to leave Anfield during the off-season.

"I think you have to hold up Luis as one of the best strikers in the world," Rodgers said. "I think if you look at Messi and Ronaldo they have been out on their own for a couple of years. Luis is only 26 and I think he will make improvements to his game over the coming years."

With Daniel Sturridge out injured, Suarez will again lead the line for Liverpool in Saturday's home match against struggling West Ham. He is the league's top scorer with 13 goals, despite missing the first five matches of the campaign while he served out a suspension for biting carried over from last season.

SLIDING SOUTHAMPTON

Two weeks ago, Southampton headed to Arsenal seeking a win that could have lifted the team into first place.

After three straight defeats, Mauricio Pochettino's side is now down in eighth place and it could get worse considering in-form Man City visits St. Mary's Stadium on Saturday.

Along with Chelsea, City is leading the challenge to reel in Arsenal and found a cure to its problems away from home with a win at West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday.

Having captain Vincent Kompany back fit is also crucial to City, which has scored at least three goals in six of its last seven matches.

STRIKER DROUGHT

With just four goals between them in 14 games this campaign, Chelsea's three strikers - Samuel Eto'o, Fernando Torres and Demba Ba - continue to fluff their lines in the Premier League.

Chelsea beat Sunderland 4-3 on Wednesday, but once again it was Jose Mourinho's midfielders who came to the team's rescue with Eden Hazard scoring twice and Frank Lampard also netting.

Mourinho continues to rotate between Eto'o and Torres, so it will probably be Eto'o's turn to start at Stoke on Saturday as second-place Chelsea looks to stay in touch with Arsenal.

AP

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League previews – every game on talkSPORT
By Sport Magazine (@Sportmaguk) | Thursday, December 5, 2013

166758277.jpg

Arsenal v Everton
Sunday December 8, Emirates Stadium

It's tough at the top, so the saying goes.And, this month, Arsenal will discover whether they are tough enough to handle it. Starting with Sunday's game against Everton, the Gunners face a testing three-week period that sees them travel to Naples for a crucial Champions League tie, to the Etihad to face Manchester City, and then head back to the Emirates for the visit of Chelsea.

Everton's route into the New Year isn't quite as fearsome, with games against Fulham, Swansea and Sunderland following their trip to north London. But the Toffees haven‚'t beaten Arsenal since 2007, when Andrew Johnson scored a 90th-minute winner at Goodison.

And you have to go back another 11 years to find the last time Everton beat Arsenal away from home, courtesy of an Andre Kanchelskis winner. In simple terms, David Moyes' tenure did not yield a single win at Highbury or the Emirates.

But then they hadn't beaten Manchester United at Old Trafford for 21 years, and with Roberto Martinez's side learning to relish the attacking freedom he encourages, Everton will present a different proposition this time around.

Not least because in Romelu Lukaku they have a player with the best minutes-per-goal rate in Premier League history (with a minimum of 20 goals). But in Wojciech Szczesny he faces a keeper with the best saves-to-shots ratio in the league this season (at time of writing). Expect frantic goalmouth action, then. And probably a draw.

Manchester United v Newcastle

Saturday December 7, Old Trafford, 12.45pm

This fixture provided thrilling Boxing Day entertainment last year, with Newcastle coming agonisingly close to beating Manchester United at Old Trafford for the first time since 1972.

Alan Pardew's side couldn't quite pull it off, though, going down 4-3 thanks to a late winner by Javier Hernandez.

Wayne Rooney was an injured absentee from that game but, unfortunately for the Magpies, he's currently playing like a man at the peak of his powers – scoring or assisting 59 per cent of United's league goals this season.

Yet Newcastle's win against West Bromwich Albion last weekend saw them start the week as the second most in-form team in the league, with four wins from four, before crashing to defeat at Swansea.

It was their best run for 19 months and, with Pardew getting the best out of his French contingent (18 of Newcastle's 19 league goals have been scored by Frenchmen) the Magpies will believe they can ask some big questions in Manchester.

Crystal Palace v Cardiff
Saturday December 7, Selhurst Park, 3pm

Cardiff have had the edge in the Premier League battle between these two promoted sides so far, taking some big scalps along the way.

But it's these matches against the fellow 'smaller scalps' that often prove crucial come the end of the season.

Cardiff's best results have come on home turf so far, and they lost 3-2 at Selhurst Park last term (albeit thanks to two penalties), so their own scalp is by no means safe this weekend.

Liverpool v West Ham
Saturday December 7, Anfield, 3pm

West Ham have failed to score a single goal on their past five visits to Anfield. They came close to ending that fruitless run last season – when Lucas Leiva cleared a late Jack Collison header off the line – but the game finished 0-0, meaning it has been 50 years since the Hammers won at Anfield.

Their away form isn't indicating they won't clock 51 years either, with Big Sam's side winning just once away from home in the league this term.

Southampton v Manchester City
Saturday December 7, St Mary's, 3pm

The week before Manchester City come to town is the worst time to lose your goalkeeper to injury. Bad luck, Southampton.

Artur Boruc was part of a side that had conceded seven goals in 12 matches before playing Chelsea last weekend and Villa midweek.

It leaves Saints with Paulo Gazzaniga in goal. The Argentine had a brief run in the team last season, but could hardly have picked a tougher team to play against having just conceded three against Villa.

Stoke v Chelsea
Saturday December 7, Britannia Stadium, 3pm

It has been 11 months since his nightmare 90 minutes against Chelsea, but Stoke's Jon Walters will remember every second of it when the Blues return.

Then, his two own goals and missed penalty helped Chelsea to a 4-0 win, ending the Potters' 17-game unbeaten run at home in the league.

Walters made his 103rd consecutive appearance against Cardiff in midweek. He will hope consistency is the key to success.

West Brom v Norwich
Saturday December 7, The Hawthorns, 3pm

Norwich have a decent record at The Hawthorns, taking away three points on two of their last four visits.

But the Canaries have won only once on the road in the league this season – a 1-0 win at Stoke coming courtesy of Jonny Howson.

West Brom, meanwhile, have arrested the poor run of form that saw them lose their first two home games of the season.

They beat Crystal Palace and drew with Aston Villa last month.

Sunderland v Tottenham
Saturday December 7, Stadium of Light, 5.30pm

December is a hectic month for Tottenham, with Europa League and League Cup ties squeezed in among a packed league schedule.

For Andre Villas-Boas' side, who started the week without a league win since October, a trip to the Stadium of Light – where Spurs have lost only one of their last four matches – offers hope of building on their victory at Fulham.

But as Sunderland showed against Manchester City, they are capable of throwing a spanner in the works.

Fulham v Aston Villa
Sunday December 8, Craven Cottage, 1.30pm

His second game in charge sees Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen face a team that have not won a game at Craven Cottage for the past three seasons.

But the last time Aston Villa visited, the clubs' fortunes were almost reversed, with Villa enduring their worst start to a season in the top flight since 1986 and Fulham racking up their third home win from four.

Paul Lambert's side are a different prospect this term. As, indeed, are Fulham.

Swansea v Hull
Monday December 9, Liberty Stadium, 8pm

The Liberty Stadium hadn't been a happy hunting ground for Swansea going into this week, but three points against Newcastle will help matters.

The Swans have lost just one of their five home games in the Europa League, but managed just one win from their first six games at home in the Premier League.

Boss Michael Laudrup will hope to have Michu back from injury in time for Hull's visit, adding some much-needed firepower to the Swans' attack.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

332533_thumb.jpg

Van Persie back in full Manchester United training
The Netherlands international will meet with medical staff on Saturday morning to discuss how his injury has reacted after participating in a full contact session

347674_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Arsenal deserve to be top of the Premier League
The Portuguese says the Gunners have made less mistakes and warrant their position and also feels that Manchester United will not panic despite falling 12 points behind

347247_thumb.jpg

Moyes open to January additions at Manchester United
Marouane Fellaini's move to Old Trafford was the Scot's sole piece of business during the summer, so he is prepared to strengthen next month

338483_thumb.jpg

Silva to make Manchester City return against Bayern Munich
The playmaker has been out for a month with a calf injury but has stepped up his rehabilitation with the first team and could feature at the Allianz Arena next week

345740_thumb.jpg

Bale & Ribery nominated for Fifpro World XI
The in-form Welshman is joined on the 15-strong shortlist by Real Madrid colleagues Isco and Xabi Alonso, while Bayern Munich and Barcelona also have three representatives each

347610_thumb.jpg

Liverpool boss Rodgers demands more from Sterling
The Northern Irishman was delighted with the youngster's goalscoring display against Norwich in midweek, but is looking for the attacker to push on and do it more often

347563_thumb.jpg

Injury problems are out of my control, says Kompany
The defender, who has just returned from the sidelines, said he can't promise his body won't "break down" again but insisted he is doing everything possible to remain fully fit

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes hindered by Manchester United chiefs in transfer window, says Jagielka

347247_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie31
Dec 6, 2013 8:41:00 AM

The defender believes the Scot needed support to bring in signings during the summer but backs his former manager to improve his new club's inconsistent form

Everton captain Phil Jagielka says he feels sorry for David Moyes and believes the Manchester United manager lacked support from the club in the summer transfer window.

United slipped to a 1-0 defeat at home to Roberto Martinez’s side on Wednesday evening, which has left the Premier League champions 12 points behind leaders Arsenal in the table.

Moyes has faced criticism for Marouane Fellaini's £27.5 million arrival from Goodison following the Belgian's subdued displays, but Jagielka insists the Old Trafford hierarchy, who failed in their attempts to sign Leighton Baines, Ander Herrera, Cesc Fabregas and Thiago Alcantara, are to blame.

“I have a lot of time and a lot of respect for David Moyes," said Jagielka.

"I do feel sorry for him. The fixture list wasn't that kind initially. The transfers in the summer, the people who were making those decisions didn't help him out one bit.

"It is nowhere near a big problem but the pressure was always going to be high. From being at Everton, where the pressure was not so big initially, he could then grow into the season.

“You can't grow into the season at Manchester United. You need to come out firing on all cylinders when you look at how Arsenal have started and Chelsea and teams like that. You can't give them too much of a lead.”

Jagielka backs Moyes improve United’s form following the club’s fourth defeat of the season but insists the Scot must be backed to bring in his own signings who can improve the squad.

"He will come under pressure but I am sure he knew that once he took the job,” said the defender.

“He wasn't going to get a quiet life at Manchester United. It was a fantastic opportunity for him.

“It proved what a great job he had done at Everton. I am sure he will roll his sleeves up and get the guys moving in the right direction.

"I am more than sure he will get Manchester United where they need to be. He just needs that little bit more time. But sometimes, time seems a hard thing to get when you are at that top level.

“He is a football man. He has some good people around him.He has some great players in the squad. He just needs to add a few more players that he wants week in, week out.

"Once he gets that sorted and he gets more of his team, rather than a team he has been given, that is the acid test for him, once he gets the players in that he wants."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas to leave Tottenham by the summer

345988_heroa.jpg

Dec 9, 2013 9:30:00 AM

The Spurs chairman is considering Glenn Hoddle as a replacement for the Portuguese coach, who was unhappy with the club's purchases in the summer transfer market

EXCLUSIVE
By Duncan Castles

The relationship between Andre Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy has deteriorated to the point where the Tottenham boss is not expected to remain at the club beyond the summer.

7W6yoPG.jpg

According to a close friend, the Portuguese believes that he would already have been sacked had his contract not included a prohibitive penalty clause.

However, the scale of the pay-off, which commits Tottenham to ensuring that Villas-Boas earns an annual salary of at least €3 million (£2.5m) net until the summer of 2014, will have reduced by the end of the season. With that in mind, Spurs' hierarchy are already considering potential replacements for the former Porto boss.

Levy's advisers have floated the extraordinary strategy of replacing a coach who led the club to their highest Premier League points total in his first season in charge with Glenn Hoddle, who was dismissed as Tottenham boss a decade ago and has been out of top-level coaching since 2006.

Club sources say, though, that, for now, the chairman's preference is for Villas-Boas to stand down, thus avoiding the cost of compensation.

The long-standing discord between Villas-Boas and Levy was exacerbated by disagreement over the reinvestment of Gareth Bale's record €100m (£83.8m) transfer fee. Some of the club's seven summer signings were acquired against the coach's advice and the squad left imbalanced by the failure to follow it.

Integrating new players into the team has proved problematic, culminating in a 6-0 defeat at Manchester City in November. Two away victories and a draw with Manchester United since then have moved Tottenham to within three points of a Champions League qualifying place but without resolving the tension between board and boss.

A lack of support over Emmanuel Adebayor's behaviour within the dressing room – the under-performing striker has clashed with Villas-Boas on more than one occasion – and a refusal to help implement some of the Portuguese's preparation methods have angered the 36-year-old.

It is also thought that Levy would have been happy for Villas-Boas take up a lucrative offer to coach Paris Saint-Germain last summer, with Tottenham entitled to £12m (€14.3m) compensation from the French champions.