• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aguero sinks the reds (again): Right on cue, City's £38m star joins locals for game of pool in Manchester boozer

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 10:36 GMT, 11 April 2013 | UPDATED: 14:27 GMT, 11 April 2013

We've all been there - sipping a pint in your local pub waiting for that bloke to finish playing pool so you can get a game. But what would you do if the guy sending you potty was none other than Sergio Aguero? Manchester City's £38million striker isn't the kind of person you'd expect to bump into as you enjoy a post-work drink down your boozer. Yet, at just before 6pm yesterday, that's exactly what happened in the Woodley Arms in Stockport.

article-2307381-193BAEAD000005DC-385_634x365.jpg

Pool party: Sergio Aguero lines up a shot at the Woodley Arms in Stockport

article-2307381-193BAEA5000005DC-37_634x380.jpg

Eye on the balls: Aguero focuses on the game against his opponent

article-2307381-193BAEA9000005DC-812_306x423.jpg
article-2307381-193BAEB1000005DC-150_306x423.jpg

Vision: Aguero takes aim inside the boozer as part of an advert being filmed for Puma

Rumours had been circulating that the Argentina ace was going to pop in and around 100 locals got to see him up close. City boss Roberto Mancini doesn't need to worry about Aguero's post-training habits, however. His visit was part of an advert being filmed by his sponsors Puma. The striker has already spent time being filmed on an all-weather pitch at a nearby sports centre before heading for his game of pool.

Fans descend on Stockport pub to see as Sergio Aguero play pool...
<center></center>

article-2307381-193BAEA1000005DC-258_634x379.jpg

Famous face: Aguero looked like he enjoyed his visit to the pub

article-2307381-193BAEB5000005DC-778_306x463.jpg

Technique: Aguero at the table

Aguero - who scored the winner in Monday's Manchester derby at Old Trafford, causing Phil Jones such torment in the process - was brilliant with the City fans, signing autographs and posing for pictures before driving away in his Aston Martin Vanquish. Jamie Taylor, manager of the Woodley Arms (and a self-confessed United fan), was delighted with his pub being used for the event.

He told the Manchester Evening News: 'You couldn’t say No, could you? He’s a great player and I was as giddy as anyone when he came through the door. 'A lot of our regulars are City fans so it’s been a great afternoon for them and something I’m sure we’ll be having a bit of banter about for a long time.

'He was pretty handy pool player as well. We’ve got a pool league down here and if he fancies a regular game he’s welcome any time.' Local Bob Marston, 70, added: 'Word was spreading like wildfire and I got the call and came straight down. 'I'm off down to Wembley on Sunday – I was impressed with his pool skills and hopefully he’ll be in similar form against Chelsea.'

General Veers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

261647_thumb.jpg

Rooney: Sir Alex Ferguson inspires me
The Manchester United striker has insisted that the Red Devils' inspirational boss has helped motivate him and boost his performances with his "brilliant" team talks

262117_thumb.jpg

Mancini declares Manchester City title hopes 'impossible'
Although the Italian manager is looking forward to the FA Cup clash with Chelsea on Sunday, he concedes that the 12 point gap to Manchester United is unassailable

242902_thumb.jpg

Oxlade-Chamberlain: Arsenal oozing confidence after winning streak
The Gunners midfielder has spoken of the positive attitude within the dressing room at the Emirates, and says the team are currently going into every match believing they will win

227936_thumb.jpg

Carragher: Suarez is vital and will be staying at Anfield
The veteran centre-back expects the Uruguayan hitman to remain at the club for the foreseeable future despite continued speculation linking him with a move away from Merseyside

237844_thumb.jpg

Dempsey urges Tottenham to focus on Champions League qualification
The American attacker has expressed his disappointment at being knocked out of the Europa League, but has called on his team-mates to fight for a top four finish domestically

244331_thumb.jpg

Barry set for new Manchester City deal, suggests Mancini
The Italian manager has stated his happiness at the England international’s professionalism, and has hinted that a few of the club's players are close to signing new contracts

217184_thumb.jpg

Micah Richards becomes third Manchester City player to receive driving ban
The 24-year-old defender follows Sky Blues team-mates Samir Nasri and Carlos Tevez in being disqualified from driving after failing to respond to two speeding notices

212810_thumb.jpg

‘I want to stay here’ – Ben Arfa dismisses Newcastle exit claims
The former Marseille attacker is only focussed on his current club, and has backed the side to return to Europe in the future after a disappointing campaign this year

256508_thumb.jpg

‘There’s still life left in us’ – Redknapp still believes QPR can stay up
The former Tottenham boss is still adamant that his side can retain their Premier League status this year but admits they will need at least four wins from their remaining games

264068_thumb.jpg

Manchester City boss Mancini calls for Premier League winter break
The Italian is eager to see English football follow the example set in Europe, where leagues traditionally break over the festive period, and believes it would benefit England

204438_thumb.jpg

Skrtel: I'll fight for my place in Liverpool team
The 28-year-old Slovakian has been on the bench in recent months after suffering a dip in form for the Reds, but insists he hasn't given up on a place in the starting XI

226476_thumb.jpg

Transfer brinkmanship must be put to one side for Villas-Boas to realise Tottenham's potential
The Portugese boss has scraped by with a net spend of zero after pursuits for Joao Moutinho and Leandro Damiao both faltered on the final day of the last two transfer windows

224916_thumb.jpg

Arsenal boss Wenger: Arshavin will leave in the summer
The Frenchman says that the Russian will decide on his future when his contract runs out at the end of the season, but doubts that he will stay due

251803_thumb.jpg

Agbonlahor can be Aston Villa's very own Giggs, claims Lambert
The Scot believes the forward should follow in the footsteps of players such as the Manchester United winger in ending his career a one-club man

263632_thumb.jpg

Arsenal must 'start strong' against Norwich, claims Wenger
The Gunners boss believes an early goal will calm his side's nerves against the Canaries and could prove important in other games

264161_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa not in contract talks with Benteke yet, says Lambert
The Scot says he is focusing on the Premier League and his side's battle against relegation currently, but will discuss the striker's future at the end of the season

270143_thumb.jpg

Police warn Newcastle fans over 'fascism' jibes ahead of Sunderland clash
The St James' Park crowd are expected to provide a hostile reception for the controversial Paolo Di Canio, but authorities have warned them not to overstep the mark

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Sweeper: Premier League clubs could face massive fines

Apr 13, 2013 7:36:00 AM

187249hp2.jpg

Those going over their budgets will have to shell out double that amount, while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sheds the pounds and a group of Manchester United trainees plan a holiday

BIG-SPENDING CHAIRMEN FACE 'DOUBLE YOUR MONEY' FINES

Clubs who breach the Premier League’s new salary regulations could face fines double the amount of the permitted excess figure, Goalcom understands.

The two significant elements of the new financial fair play rules - to limit wage bills and restrict the losses clubs can make to €123 million over three years - were ratified at a shareholders’ summit in London on Thursday.

Premier League officials will now begin detailed drafting of the principles to be added to the rulebook.

The proposal set out in the paper circulated to clubs that outlines the wage restraints indicated that clubs could face a “substantial” fine of double the excess figure.

Therefore, a club whose salary bill exceeds the permitted amount by €1.2m would pay a €2.4m fine and so on.

Under the new rules, clubs whose total wage bill is more than the ‘floor’ of €61m will only be allowed to increase their salaries by €4.7m per season for the next three years.

But the restrictions only apply to the income from the mammoth new €6.3 billion TV contract — so any income from sponsorship deals or tickets sale can still be spent on wages.

The ceiling when the wage increase restrictions kick in will be €61m next season, €66m the following year and €71m in 2015-16. Only seven of the current top-flight clubs would be under that ceiling at the moment.

Goal.com has learned that initial breaches will be referred to an independent commission to determine the penalty.

The Premier League would make representations on the appropriate penalty and the Commission would look at arguments in mitigation, including whether the wage bill had exceeded the permitted figure because of top-up bonuses being triggered in players’ contracts as a result of success on the pitch.

The regulations have come about against the backdrop of Uefa's Financial Fair Play (FFP) initiative – which can result in exclusion from the Champions League or Europa League from next year.

- Wayne Veysey

SLIMLINE OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN BACK IN THE RECKONING

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s undistinguished second season at Arsenal has been variously ascribed to growing pains or sophomore syndrome.

But sources have told The Sweeper that the 19-year-old also struggled with his conditioning earlier in the campaign and was regarded by the club as above his ideal weight.

As a consequence, the England midfielder lost several kilos and his improved shape has brought him back into the first-team reckoning, particularly in the last three league matches.

Oxlade-Chamberlain surprisingly started in the win at Swansea City, came off the bench in the victory over Reading, and although he was an unused substitute against West Brom last weekend, he is believed to have pushed Gervinho close for a starting place.

- Wayne Veysey

MANCHESTER UNITED TRAINEES PLAN BOOZE-UP

Don't tell Sir Alex Ferguson, but his Academy players are planning a summer bender in Ayia Napa.

A group of 10 were sat down this week in a Cheshire branch of Thomas Cook wearing full United training gear.

The holiday company are an official travel partner of a number of Premier League clubs, including the Red Devils.

There was much bemusement from onlookers as the 18-year-olds then got excited when told they qualified for a 20 per cent discount because of the tie-up.

- Paul Clennam

CITY FANS FIGHT TO KEEP FAVOURITE PIE

Manchester City fans are already on the warpath ahead of next season, with TV chef Jamie Oliver now in their sights.

The blues announced a recent link-up with Oliver and his catering company to provide the match day options at Etihad Stadium.

Some City punters are now in consultation with the club about their own menu suggestions and are concerned Oliver wants to scrap their beloved chicken balti pie.

- Paul Clennam

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

You're talking nonsense Roberto! Fergie blasts Mancini over claim that clubs roll over for Manchester United

By IAN LADYMAN PUBLISHED: 22:41 GMT, 12 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:43 GMT, 12 April 2013

Sir Alex Ferguson has accused Robert Mancini of talking nonsense after the Manchester City manager claimed smaller Barclays Premier League teams take a defeatist attitude in to against leaders United. Mancini made the claim before City beat Ferguson’s United at Old Trafford on Monday to cut the gap at the top of the table to 12 points. Speaking ahead of tomorrow’s visit to Stoke City, Ferguson said: ‘I think that’s absolute nonsense, I really do.

article-0-19413568000005DC-670_634x376.jpg

Nonsense: Ferguson says that Mancini is wrong with his claim that teams roll over for Manchester United

‘There’s a lot of games I’ve watched this season when teams are playing City and I’ve said to myself: “Are they trying?” But of course they’re trying. The English game is the most honest in the world. They all do their best because that’s the nature of the English game.‘So it’s absolute nonsense what he said. He was maybe looking for a bit of self-sympathy or something like that.’ With City involved in the FA Cup this weekend, United can increase their lead over Mancini’s team to 15 points with victory at the Britannia Stadium tomorrow.

article-0-19422225000005DC-545_634x499.jpg

Laidback: Ferguson's side can increase their lead over Mancini's side to 15 points with a win over Stoke

‘I think we’ve got some nice games to look forward to,’ added Ferguson. ‘It’s a good time of the season for us, no doubt about that. Our consistency has shown that. ‘The most important thing is having confidence and trust in my players, and that’s absolutely 100 per cent for me. I’ve got a good group of players, they always want to do their best. ‘They’ve shown great resilience throughout the season, in terms of coming back from being a goal down, time and time again. So stamina-wise and mentality-wise, it shows it’s the right one.”

article-0-192EB96F000005DC-518_634x461.jpg

Handshake: Mancini and Ferguson shake hands before Manchester City beat Manchester United 1-0 on Monday

Ferguson could not resist a dig at City and Chelsea for organising a post-season tour of America immediately before the England friendlies this summer, saying: ‘I wouldn’t ever do it, I must admit.'That can only be because of whatever financial gains they’re getting out of it, obviously. They’re the two richest clubs too – they need the money!’ City manager Roberto Mancini admitted the timing was not ideal, saying: ‘When we finish the championship, we go for one week in New York and after they come back some players play in the Confederations Cup and qualification for World Cup. That is incredible. ‘Usually I don’t like this because when you finish the season, it is finished. But for me going to New York is like going on holiday!’

article-0-192F111A000005DC-743_634x450.jpg

Horror: Sergio Aguero scores the winner against Manchester United as Phil Jones looks on in horror

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

City’s car clinics fail as Richards is THIRD star to get driving ban after Nasri and Tevez

Silva is running again after limping out of the derby but Mancini said: ‘We’ll decide on Sunday morning, but if there is a risk he won’t play. It’s getting better. Yesterday he ran and I think we have a chance.’
By IAN LADYMAN and CHRIS WHEELER

PUBLISHED: 21:57 GMT, 12 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:49 GMT, 12 April 2013

Manchester City’s attempts to make their players more road safety conscious appear to be failing after a third star was banned from driving for six months. Sportsmail has learned the FA Cup semi-finalists regularly organise motoring clinics for all their players, but defender Micah Richards was penalised by magistrates on Friday after he failed to respond to speeding notices sent to his home.
Last week Samir Nasri and Carlos Tevez were also banned for motoring offences, while 18-year-old defender Courtney Meppen-Walter was jailed for 16 months and banned from driving for three years in February.

article-2308023-1941CBB4000005DC-110_634x466.jpg

All smiles: Micah Richards gets into a taxi after being banned for six months

article-2308023-1941CBA8000005DC-646_634x594.jpg

Banned: Richards received a six month ban from driving

article-2308023-1941CBA4000005DC-840_634x578.jpg

Taxi for Richards: The Manchester City defender will have to find alternative methods of getting to work

article-2308023-19418A39000005DC-902_306x423.jpg

Six month ban: Richards was banned for speeding

He caused the death of a brother and sister in Manchester last year when his Mercedes hit their Nissan Micra while travelling at almost twice the 30mph speed limit. The issue is threatening to become embarrassing for the Barclays Premier League champions, especially as they take their obligations to the community very seriously.City’s senior players — as well as the club’s youngsters — are regularly spoken to about the dangers and responsibilities of life behind the wheel. They are given a driving clinic once a year and have the option to talk to legal experts about the issues every three weeks.

The annual presentation is by expert Gwyn Lewis, the solicitor who recently represented Tevez in court. At this talk, Tevez and his team-mates are told about everything from insurance issues to foreign licences and even given advice on where they can and cannot park.
In addition to this, a member of Lewis’s firm Burton Copeland also drops in at City’s Carrington training ground every three weeks to answer queries and give advice. Senior City officials believe they have done all they can to help their players and are baffled as to why they keep getting into trouble over driving.

article-2308325-1941E604000005DC-704_634x493.jpg

Me too: Carlos Tevez arrives at training on Friday

article-2308325-1941F72A000005DC-867_634x430.jpg

And me: Samir Nasri has also been banned for six-months for driving offences

On the pitch, manager Roberto Mancini must decide over the next 24 hours whether to gamble for the FA Cup semi-final that he admits could define his side’s season. David Silva is struggling with a hamstring injury and Sergio Aguero is only ‘80 per cent fit’. Aguero came off the bench to score City’s winner in the Manchester derby on Monday night, but the striker has made only two appearances as a sub since February because of a knee injury.

article-2308023-191193FB000005DC-431_634x388.jpg

Not behind the wheel: Carlos Tevez arrives at training in the passenger seat of his Pporsche Panamera Sports Car

article-2308023-190FD4BB000005DC-494_634x408.jpg

In the dock: Tevez arrives at Macclesfield Magistrates Court where he was ordered to carry out 250 hours of community service

And the Italian admitted he must decide whether to risk starting him at Wembley. ‘I don’t think he is 100 per cent fit because if he had been he would have played all the game against United,’ said Mancini. ‘But Sergio at 80 per cent is important. He is getting better. His knee is OK. It could be that he starts the game.’

article-2308023-1915C8D1000005DC-699_634x413.jpg

Speeding: Samir Nasri was handed a six month ban (file picture)

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Dortmund prove you don't need to overspend to reach the top, and that's what we want to achieve

By DOMINIC KING PUBLISHED: 22:00 GMT, 12 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:00 GMT, 12 April 2013

Brendan Rodgers wants Liverpool to emulate Borussia Dortmund by showing success can be achieved without breaking the bank. The Dortmund side that reached the Champions League semi-finals on Tuesday was made up of two youth graduates, three free transfers and six players who cost a combined total of £30million in transfer fees. Rodgers is aware that Liverpool will not have the spending power of some of their rivals this summer but he believes the way Dortmund have gone about their business in recent years shows clubs do not have to keep signing cheques on the way to the top.

article-0-193CD60B000005DC-111_634x467.jpg

Ambitious: Brendan Rodgers has high hopes for his Liverpool reign

‘Look at the example of Borussia Dortmund,’ said Rodgers. ‘A team that won the Champions League and then struggled financially. They went out and rebuilt and it took them four to five years to push on. Then they won the league and their European work suffered. ‘This year you can see they have put their focus on Europe and they have lost their title. That’s a team that has been growing over five years. There is no doubt you need investment to raise the bar and the quality, but whilst you are doing that there are other ways to try and get an advantage.

article-0-19365ECB000005DC-725_634x363.jpg

Lauded: Dortmund have many admirers for what they have achieved and how they have done so

‘We can really push on next year. Unless you have got the Manchester City or Chelsea money and just bring in £70-80m worth in one summer, you need a different way. I think this is the best way because you are not just looking after the team, but also the club.’

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle United v Sunderland: fans arrested and three police officers injured following Tyne-Wear derby

Angry hordes of Newcastle United fans battled with police and threw missiles as they tried to fight with rival supporters following Sunderland’s 3-0 win at St James’ Park.

howay1_2536024b.jpg

Throwback: Newcastle supporters clash with police in the city centre Photo: North News & Pictures

By Luke Edwards 7:00PM BST 14 Apr 2013

Although there was no trouble in the ground, Newcastle fans, many of whom had watched the match in city centre pubs, tried to confront Sunderland’s supporters as they were escorted by police to Newcastle Central Station to board trains and metros.

Police dressed in riot gear managed to hold them off during a series of skirmishes and were pelted with glass bottles as a result. The violence led to 29 arrests, while three officers were injured, one of whom needed hospital treatment.

An eye witnesses told the Northern Echo: "It was terrifying and complete chaos. The fans were chucking flares, bits of pavement, rocks, anything they could get their hands on.

toon_2536023a.jpg

“Wheelie bins were set alight causing the police horses to rear up in fear. I don't know if anybody has been hurt or not." "There was also anger among home supporters during the game when a smoke canister was thrown from the seats above them that were occupied by away fans.

"The most serious incident involved a group of Newcastle fans in Central Station attempting to confront Sunderland supporters, but they were intercepted by officers from British Transport Police,” said a Northumbria Police spokeswoman. "During this incident missiles were thrown at the officers, which resulted in three injuries to officers - one of them requiring assessment at hospital."

Police confirmed they received reports of smoke canisters being released before and during the match. Newcastle fans were also involved in a series of sporadic incidents of disorder in the city centre following the match, the spokeswoman added.

howay_2536025a.jpg

The violence is an indication of the volatile nature of this fixture, which always requires a huge police operation to prevent the two sets of supporters from clashing, and hints at the pressure Newcastle’s manager, Alan Pardew is now under.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2SHuGha_bTo?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio, his trousers ruined by the knee slide celebration of his team’s second goal, described it as a “beautiful derby” but this was as ugly as it comes for Newcastle.

“It’s going to affect the rest of our season because to our fans that is everything,” admitted Pardew. “It’s not so much about the fans sticking with us, it’s about us making sure we put performances on between now and the end of the season that will help us ease the memory of this result.

“It’s not going to go away. We will have to wear it and probably next year as well, that’s what happens when you lose one of these games. We are under no illusions of the responsibility we have to our fans, we know what this means to them and we have let them down. It’s up there with the worst moment I’ve had here.”

None of that mattered to Di Canio whose celebrations on the touchline, and again after the game, were typically dramatic. By the time he spoke to the media, though, the former Swindon Town manager had found a sense of perspective.

“This result doesn’t decide the rest of the season,” he said. “The adrenaline was pumping on the field, but now we have to think and get our feet back on the ground. It feels like a massive step, but in the table it is a small step.

“We have to be honest they played Thursday in a very hard game and you could see after 20 minutes we had the fire and things were going to go our way.

"It’s very important in terms of momentum, but we have to keep that going.”

JarJarBinks

Adebayor: I'm disappointed with penalty miss but that's football
The Spurs striker has admitted his unhappiness at failing to score from the spot against Basel on Thursday night, as the north London club crashed out of the Europa League

General Veers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

270918_thumb.jpg

Distin: Arsenal clash will not prove decisive in race for the top four
The Everton centre-half believes the outcome of Tuesday's encounter with the Gunners at Emirates Stadium will not prove conclusive in the battle for Champions League qualification

250150_thumb.jpg

Officiating frustrates Hughton after Norwich beaten by late Arsenal rally
The Canaries led at the Emirates Stadium through Michael Turner but a penalty given against Kei Kamara for pulling Olivier Giroud's shirt prompted a turnaround for the hosts

270575_thumb.jpg

Silva defends underappreciated Mancini
The under-fire Manchester City manager is backed by the Spanish midfielder, who is battling to be fit in time for Sunday's FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea at Wembley

271859_thumb.jpg

'Finishing in the top four is a question of nerve' - Wenger
With top-four rivals Tottenham and Chelsea not playing in the Premier League this weekend, the Gunners took full advantage by beating Norwich

205750_thumb.jpg

Adkins and Rodgers both praise 'world-class' display from Reading keeper Alex McCarthy
A succession of excellent saves from the 23-year-old shot-stopper frustrated the Reds and earned the Royals another point in their fight for Premier League survival

245935_thumb.jpg

Everton boss Moyes targets Arsenal win in race for the top four
The Toffees beat QPR on Saturday to move within striking distance of the Champions League places, and the Scottish boss believes the tie against the Gunners is a must-win match

261404_thumb.jpg

Tottenham can bounce back from Europa League exit, urges Holtby
The 22-year-old believes his side can recover from their mid-week defeat to Basel and has backed the White Hart Lane outfit to secure Champions League qualification

257758_thumb.jpg

Manchester City have overachieved in the last two seasons, says Kompany
The captain says his side have made huge strides in recent years and must strive to maintain their high standards as he looks forward to a trip to Wembley in the FA Cup

259583_thumb.jpg

Podolski: I hope to play a big part in Arsenal's coming games
The Gunners' forward has admitted that he is looking to play a major role in the remaining matches as the north London club strive to make a final push for a top-four finish

238587_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Mancini looking for self-sympathy
The Manchester United boss has lashed out at his Manchester City counterpart for claiming that his side are not worthy of being 12 points clear at the top of the Premier League

233231_thumb.jpg

Redknapp realistic over keeping Remy at QPR
The former Portsmouth manager has admitted that the Rs are resigned to losing their impressive French striker should they get relegated from the Premier League this season

222834_thumb.jpg

Clichy wants Roberto Mancini to remain at Manchester City
The former Arsenal defender is hoping the Premier League-winning boss will continue to manage the club, despite reports linking the Italian away from the Etihad in the summer

255421_thumb.jpg

Rodgers reveals Dortmund inspiration
The Liverpool manager has identified one of the outstanding German sides who have reached the Champions League semi-finals as the model for his own ambitions at Anfield

263430_thumb.jpg

Wenger: This is a massive week for Arsenal
The Gunners manager has urged his reinvigorated side to take full advantage of Tottenham's recent stuttering form and move seven points clear of their north London neighbours

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

270698_thumb.jpg

Aguero: Manchester City need to win a trophy every year
After scoring what turned out to be the winning goal in the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea, the Argentine is determined to lift

271770_thumb.jpg

I rushed Wilshere back from injury, admits Wenger
The Arsenal manager acknowledges that the 21-year-old midfielder "was not completely ready" to play in the 3-1 victory over Norwich City on Saturday

272354_thumb.jpg

Mancini to make wholesale changes for Manchester City's clash with Wigan
Micah Richards is in line to make his first appearance since October, while Aleksandar Kolarov, Javi Garcia and Edin Dzeko are also set to be handed rare starts

254232_thumb.jpg

Rooney and Van Persie target record points total
The Manchester United pair have challenged themselves to see out this season crowned Premier League champions and beat Chelsea's tally of 95 from their 2004-05 triumph

266548_thumb.jpg

Vidic: Premier League title feels close
The Manchester United defender urges his team-mates to retain their focus after they took another step towards the club's 20th championship by beating Stoke City

245935_thumb.jpg

Moyes: Arsenal match is crucial
With only a three-point gap separating his side from the top four, the Everton boss sees Tuesday's clash at the Emirates Stadium as "vital" to their Champions League hopes

222243_thumb.jpg

Fulham agree deal to sign Athletic Bilbao defender Amorebieta
The Venezuelan centre-back, who was a target for Arsenal in the January transfer window, has penned a pre-contract agreement to move to Craven Cottage in the summer

243422_thumb.jpg

Europa League has not dented Tottenham's top-four hopes, claims Dawson
The defender claims that his only regret is that Spurs did not progress further in the competition after they were knocked out by Swiss club Basel at the quarter-final stage

272021_thumb.jpg

Rooney: Manchester United must push over title finish line
Although a record 20th league title is all but assured, the Red Devils striker has urged his team-mates to keep pushing as the season comes approaches its climax

263849_thumb.jpg

Fabianski a 'major doubt' for Arsenal's clash against Everton
Arsene Wenger has revealed that the Polish goalkeeper is unlikely to start against the Toffees after picking up an injury, whilst Tomas Rosicky and Per Mertesacker return

206613_thumb.jpg

Vertonghen insists on top-four focus from Tottenham
The Spurs defender has called on his team-mates to put memories of Basel behind them and "stay together" ahead of the end of the league season

271819_thumb.jpg

Carroll too expensive for West Ham, says Allardyce
The 24-year-old striker is currently on loan from Liverpool but the Hammers boss admits new financial laws could prevent a permanent move to Upton Park

239072_thumb.jpg

Barry: Man City can't go without a trophy
The midfielder admits the FA Cup was this season's realistic target for Roberto Mancini's side and hopes the "big players" will perform against Wigan

229408_thumb.jpg

Spurs feeling the pressure, says Giroud
The Gunners striker claims that his side's victory over Norwich on Saturday will have turned up the heat on Tottenham in the top-four race

227275_thumb.jpg

Azpilicueta: Chelsea's failure to win big games is a concern
The Spanish right-back admits that his side's poor record in key games this season is worrying, saying a strong finish to the season is vital

272176_thumb.jpg

Aguero to face no FA action for Luiz challenge
Referee Chris Foy awarded a free-kick and did not even book the Argentine at the time, but his handling of the incident has been deemed sufficient by the Football Association

242000_thumb.jpg

Ogbonna flattered by Manchester United interest
The Italy international has admitted he is honoured to be linked to the Premier League leaders but says that he isn't thinking of a move

272126_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 'embarrassed and appalled' by behaviour of fans after Sunderland defeat
The Magpies have released a statement condemning the violent actions of a section of their support in the wake of their 3-0 loss to their bitter local rivals on Sunday

262407_thumb.jpg

'It is the worst day for Newcastle' - Tiote bemoans derby defeat
The Toon midfielder says a lack of spirit was the reason for the defeat on Sunday as Alan Pardew became the first manager in 13 years to lose to Sunderland at St James' Park

248263_thumb.jpg

Veteran Schwarzer admits he could leave Fulham in the summer
The 40-year-old goalkeeper has indicated that he may leave Craven Cottage at the end of the season with the west London club yet to offer him a contract extension

272063_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure praises 'fantastic' Manchester City defence to hold off Chelsea comeback
The Cote d'Ivoire star was ecstatic after booking a place in the FA Cup final against Wigan, and praised his team-mates' resilience in preserving their narrow lead

256509_thumb.jpg

'If they played better they would not be in the Championship' - Redknapp slams QPR players
The veteran manager questioned the character of his players after the Hoops fell 10 points adrift of safety, and believes the club could struggle to offload their high earners

271819_thumb.jpg

On-loan Carroll open to completing West Ham move from Liverpool
The England striker has scored five goals in his last seven starts for the Hammers but admits he is unsure of where his future lies as a permanent deal has yet to be agreed

264724_thumb.jpg

Rodgers calls for Carragher to re-think Liverpool retirement
The Reds manager has praised the veteran defender, who is planning on retiring from the game at the end of the season, and believes he could continue to play next year

272257_thumb.jpg

Memorial service at Anfield to mark 24th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster
Supporters, family members, manager Brendan Rodgers and principal owner John W. Henry will all be in attendance at Anfield on Monday afternoon for the dedicatory service

197310_thumb.jpg

Kaboul nearing Tottenham return ahead of Manchester City clash
The 27-year-old could return to Andre Villas-Boas' first-team squad as early as Sunday's clash with the champions after spending eight months sidelined following knee surgery

242902_thumb.jpg

Oxlade-Chamberlain: Norwich win gives Arsenal a massive boost for run-in
The Gunners snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with three late goals in their 3-1 win over the Canaries as they took a major step to securing a top-four place

272176_thumb.jpg

Luiz wants Aguero apology for tackle in Chelsea's defeat to Manchester City
The Brazil international was the victim of a two-footed lunge by the Argentina striker, who had earlier scored the vital second goal to send the 2011 FA Cup winners into the final

253935_thumb.jpg

Mancini: Hart will sit out FA Cup final
With Costel Pantilimon starting in the game against Chelsea, the City manager has revealed that the Romanian goalkeeper will keep his place for the match against Wigan in May

272000_thumb.jpg

Di Canio hails Sunderland 'warriors' after emphatic Newcastle derby win
The Italian celebrated in typically animated fashion as his side won the Tyne-Wear clash 3-0 but admits it will count for nothing if the Black Cats are relegated

272108_thumb.jpg

Kompany refutes Chelsea penalty claims
The Belgium defender tussled with Chelsea striker Fernando Torres inside the penalty area as Rafa Benitez’s men looked to mount a comeback in Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final at Wembley

272052_thumb.jpg

Van Persie relieved to end goal drought
The Netherlands striker scored a second-half penalty in the Red Devils' routine 2-0 win over Stoke to end a dry spell dating back to mid-February

271236_thumb.jpg

Krul out for the rest of the season
The Magpies' first-choice shot-stopper will not feature again this season after dislocating his shoulder in Sunday's 3-0 hammering at home in the Tyne-Wear derby

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers offers Carroll Liverpool olive branch

By James Goldman
Apr 14, 2013 12:35:00 PM

271819hp2.jpg

The England striker has hit a rich patch of goalscoring form while on loan at West Ham and he may yet have a long-term future at Anfield, according to the former Swansea boss

Brendan Rodgers has revealed Andy Carroll may yet have a long-term future with Liverpool.

The England striker has prospered while on loan at West Ham this season with Saturday’s equaliser at Southampton, a goal that moved Sam Allardyce’s side closer to safety, representing his fifth in his last seven games.

Carroll, who was signed by Kenny Dalglish for a British record fee of £35 million [€41m] in January 2010, became the highest profile casualty of Rodgers’ revolution at the start of the season, but his recent goalscoring exploits appear to have brought about a change in the former Swansea manager’s stance.

“It’s a case of reviewing the objectives,” Rodgers, whose side drew blank for the second match in succession at Reading on Saturday, told Sky Sports.

“This season was all about getting Andy playing games. When I came in in the summer he’d had a frustrating time up until that point because he wanted to play.

“I couldn’t guarantee he was going to play every game especially with Luis and the type of player we were trying to work with.

“But there’s absolutely no doubt that come the end of the season we’ll sit down and talk because he’s obviously a player for Liverpool and one that can contribute to what we’re trying to do.

“Andy is the type of player where there’s a certain style that will suit him when you think of his game and his goals; he’s got three from set-pieces, one from a penalty and one from a cross.

“There’s no doubt he can get goals it’s just about the style that can utilise his strengths and qualities. But there’s no doubt he’s a player who can contribute.

“Like I said, he and I will speak at the end of the season and then we’ll take it from there.”

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Emotional Anfield commemorates Hillsborough victims

Apr 15, 2013 6:45:00 PM

219095hp2.jpg

Thousands of football fans filled Anfield to pay tribute to the 96 lives that were lost on April 15 1989, fuelled by a quest for justice against those culpable for their loss

By Jeremy Butler

For 24 years Liverpool have been commemorating the 96 fans who died watching their team at an FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough.

But on Monday, for the first time, the mass of fans who flock to the club's famous Kop end on an annual basis arrived with hope in their hearts.

Hope that a campaign to bring justice for the 96 was finally coming to a conclusion, with those they feel responsible for the disaster being brought to order.

And also a sense of satisfaction that an independent panel report had swept away the lies that claimed Liverpool supporters had caused the tragedy.

It was a myth that has hung over the service for far too long and meant the palpable grief was always multiplied by anger.

After 24 years of crying, the tears still flow but that anger is slowly starting to subside.

Margaret Aspinall, chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group and mother of James, who died on that heart-breaking day, delivered the most powerful speech of the afternoon.

She said: "After 24 years the truth is finally out and the record has finally been put straight.

"It has taken 8,551 dark days and a report to expose what we have known from day one – the fans were not to blame."

The calls for justice no longer sound hollow and a campaign that has included a number one single and support from clubs across Britain is finally expected to bring some closure.

After a weekend of unrest at Wembley and in Newcastle, Anfield proved that the power of the game can unite communities and bring fans together in a common cause.

The tragedy is a grief carried by the families of the 96 but shared by a nation of football loving fans who understand nobody should die when they go to watch their team play.

The city of Liverpool had already marked the occasion before Liverpool threw open the Anfield doors to all-comers wishing to pay their respects.

A grand-father clock, its hands stopped at 3.06 to mark the time the game was abandoned, was undraped at Liverpool Town Hall and a seven-feet high bronze drum-shaped monument with the names of the lost inscribed in it was unveiled at St George's Hall.

But it is the service at Anfield that is always the focus of any memorial to the 96.

It is on the Kop, Liverpool's most famous of terraces, where the families of those who died and the folk of a city unite in sorrow.

Just as before every home game, many stopped at the memorial on the Anfield Road on their way in. Some with a single rose in hand, some in Everton shirts, many with pushchairs and prams.

And just as before every match, those who studied the names struggled to comprehend the youthful ages of so many of those who died at Hillsborough.

The 96 who went to watch a football game but never came home.

Many of those who climbed the steps of the imposing Kop this afternoon had been in Sheffield 24 years ago to witness the horror.

Liverpool's manager back then, Kenny Dalglish, who carried such a heavy burden at the time in comforting the families of those who had lost loved ones, was in attendance.

As were some of his players on that day like Alan Hansen and Ian Rush. They were clapped to their seats as loudly as the families who filled the front rows alongside them.

They sat shoulder to shoulder with the current Liverpool squad, all of whom know the pain Hillsborough has caused this city whether they grew up in Bootle or Brazil.

The sombre service, punctuated with readings and hymns, started with a choir singing Abide With Me before the names of each of a 96 was read out as a candle was lit in their memory. A minute's silence was held at 3.06.

Brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers – sometimes two, on occasions three from the same family - in a sad list in a book of remembrance that is far too full.

A standing ovation greeted each and every name that was read out.

Liverpool's owner John W Henry spoke of how the families' search for truth and justice had “humbled” him.

"Now there is a real belief justice will be served," he said. "This club will always cherish the memory of family and friends who were lost 24 years ago today. They will forever be a part of Liverpool Football Club."

He was followed by Everton chairman Bill Kenwright, offering support in a city where reds and blues live as neighbours.

Speaking to a crowd where Everton mixed with Liverpool, as friends rather than rivals, he said: "My life will never be the same after today, I promise you that.
"Like all of you I watched that documentary a few weeks back. There were two words that were mentioned an awful lot. The two most important words in the English language. 'Me mom'.

"We've all got mums. And you mums here today, I appreciate the pain you would have felt on that day. The 96 are here with you today as much as they've always been.

"I hope that next year you'll be celebrating the greatest victory any team has ever had - not just in football, but in life."

It was an emotional speech by Kenwright, but it was left to Mrs Aspinall to close the ceremony. She demanded the culpable face justice once again, before the Liverpool anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone" provided a poignant finale.

Never has a song been so relevant.

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

EXCLUSIVE: Ref Webb exiled to Colchester after string of gaffes in Tyne-Wear derby

By ADAM CRAFTON PUBLISHED: 16:41 GMT, 15 April 2013 | UPDATED: 06:32 GMT, 16 April 2013

Howard Webb has been dropped from the Premier League officials' line-up for next weekend after an error-strewn performance in Sunderland's 3-0 win against Newcastle at St James' Park on Sunday.Sportsmail can reveal that English football's leading official will instead suffer the indignity of presiding over a League One match between Colchester and Shrewsbury next Saturday afternoon.

article-0-194940DB000005DC-393_634x578.jpg

Only yellow: Howard Webb booked Yoan Gouffran after a tackle on Adam Johnson in the Tyne-Wear derby

The official was criticised after failing to spot what Sunderland believed to be a penalty for a shirt-pull on Danny Graham in the first half, while the Black Cats were also aggrieved that referee Webb failed to show Yoan Gouffran a red card for a dangerous tackle. Linesman Darren Cann also came in for criticism, with Newcastle's Papiss Cisse having a goal incorrectly disallowed for offside when Sunderland were leading 1-0, with Alan Pardew complaining after the match that the moment was decisive in the game's outcome. It represents a stinging blow for Webb as he misses out on big games in the Premier League, with Tottenham taking on Manchester City and Chelsea facing Liverpool on Sunday, while Manchester United could clinch the title versus Aston Villa on Monday evening.
Meanwhile, Chris Foy will referee QPR v Stoke despite missing Sergio Aguero's horror tackle on David Luiz.

article-2308860-1949563F000005DC-131_634x435.jpg

Bragging rights: Sunderland celebrated victory in the North East derby after several contentious decisions

article-2308860-1949293F000005DC-326_634x432.jpg

article-2309493-19493E89000005DC-797_634x354.jpg

Nasty: Gouffran deserved to see red for his studs-up tackle on Sunderland winger Johnson

article-2308860-1949513C000005DC-219_634x468.jpg

Goal that never was: Papiss Cisse was adjudged offside even though he is not beyond the last defender

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Russians have landed at United: Old Trafford outfit agree multi-million pound sponsorship with accident-prone airline

By CHARLES SALE

PUBLISHED: 22:00 GMT, 15 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:45 GMT, 15 April 2013

Russian airline Aeroflot is to become an unlikely addition to Manchester United’s global roster of sponsors in a multi-million-pound contract to be announced this summer. Aeroflot, majority-owned by the Russian Government, will be the official airline of the Premier League champions-elect from next season — taking over from Turkish Airlines. The choice of Aeroflot from a sponsorship sector in which United would be spoilt for choice seems surprising. The accident-prone former Soviet airline has had a particularly poor safety record over the years — especially on internal flights in Russia.

article-0-19498D2C000005DC-912_634x393.jpg

Clout: Manchester United are an obvious consistent target for sponsors

But Aeroflot have embarked on a major modernisation of their fleet and the huge United sponsorship is seen as a way of overhauling their image around the world. It is also hoped it will improve the reputation of Russia’s airline business as a whole ahead of the 2018 World Cup. However, it is expected that the sponsorship details will only require the United team to travel with Aeroflot when they fly to and from Moscow. Aeroflot have followed Russian energy giants Gazprom, the Champions League sponsors, into the high-profile European football market.

The England Cricket Board have regained the services of formidable director of communications Colin Gibson after three years working for the International Cricket Council in Dubai. Gibson’s return will strengthen the ECB’s strategic and PR hand in all the contentious issues sure to surround back-to-back Ashes series. His Dubai knowledge will aid chairman Giles Clarke in his bid to become ICC leader in 2014. The charmless Clarke will need all the spin-doctor assistance he can muster for that campaign.

article-2309580-19501193000005DC-296_306x423.jpg
article-2309580-1553A243000005DC-156_306x423.jpg

UK Athletics, who announced Sainsbury’s as the sponsor of their Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium yesterday, will unveil another new backer today. They have other deals in advanced talks as they pursue the ambition of assembling a Champions League-style roster of sponsorships. The BBC are set to agree TV rights for UKA’s domestic meetings in a long-term contract. Meanwhile, despite the absence of Oscar Pistorius, Paralympic day at the Anniversary Games is attracting more ticket interest than the Diamond League Friday session.

article-0-19153D00000005DC-371_634x376.jpg

Absent: Paralympic day continues to grow in popularity, despite the exclusion of Oscar Pistorius

Time is fast running out for the FA in their gridlocked attempts to introduce governance reforms or face the threat of an independent regulator. The self-imposed deadline for changes given by football’s response to Government recommendations was the start of next season. And that is the date by which Whitehall want answers, although combative incoming FA chairman Greg Dyke will be a lot less conciliatory with politicians than the consensus-driven David Bernstein.

Refs on water rations

The hospitality for match officials at Barnet’s Under 18 fixtures at the Hive — the Edgware training ground where the first team will play next season when a new stadium is completed — does not even extend to the usual cup of tea or coffee before the match. Starbucks have a franchise there and anything Barnet order, they have to pay for. So the referee and assistants have to make do with a jug of tap water. A Barnet spokesman said: ‘We do not have tea-making facilities and the staff have to pay for their drinks from Starbucks as well, but the officials do get fed afterwards.’

The Football League, struggling to find a title backer since npower announced they were pulling the plug, now have DIY store B&Q and fast food chain Domino’s Pizza competing for the £7million-a-year sponsorship.

The use of Premier League grounds for football and rugby league is expected to be back on the agenda at the PL summer meeting. Hull City are likely to be joining Wigan in the top flight next season and both have Super League tenants. The PL have reminded clubs staging Rugby World Cup 2015 games that football must take priority.

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dortmund and Leverkusen look to bring in Chelsea starlet De Bruyne to Bundesliga

By SIMON JONES PUBLISHED: 21:53 GMT, 15 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:59 GMT, 15 April 2013

Borussia Dortmund are in a fight with Bayer Leverkusen for Chelsea winger Kevin de Bruyne, offering £14million for the Belgian. The 21-year-old has impressed on loan at Werder Bremen and Leverkusen may take him as a makeweight in the deal that should bring Andre Schurrle, 22, to Stamford Bridge this summer. But Chelsea are reluctant to sell De Bruyne a year after buying him for £7m.

article-2309609-0133D29400000514-81_468x392.jpg

Reluctant: Chelsea do not want to let Kevin de Bruyne (right) leave

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

197310_thumb.jpg

Tottenham hit by Kaboul injury scare
The French defender has been out since August with a knee injury and may have suffered another setback after being substituted in a second-string game

272195_thumb.jpg

FA must amend bizarre rule if they are to keep the peace after Aguero horror tackle goes unpunished
After the Manchester City striker caught David Luiz with a two-footed lunge many expected the Argentine to be banned by the game's governing body, but flawed rules prevent it

248380_thumb.jpg

Wilshere return could hinder progress for Rosicky-inspired Arsenal
With the Gunners having won every match in his absence, the 21-year-old, yet to fully bond with Santi Cazorla, could be under threat from the more attack-minded Czech

257660_thumb.jpg

Arsenal hold talks with Ashley Williams representatives
The Gunners have stepped up their pursuit of the Swansea City central defender, who is also attracting strong interest from Liverpool, while Barcelona target Thomas Vermaelen

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

271778_thumb.jpg

Gibson should have been sent off, laments Wenger after Arsenal stalemate
The Gunners boss was frustrated by Everton's physical approach as the Toffees battled for a 0-0 draw at the Emirates Stadium that did few favours for their Champions League bid

254203_thumb.jpg

Allardyce: Manchester United are scarily good
The West Ham boss believes that Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils could finish on an unprecedentedly large points tally as they close in on another Premier League title

272195_thumb.jpg

Aguero apologises to David Luiz for challenge in FA Cup clash
The Argentine forward has taken to Twitter to admit that he has contacted his South American counterpart following their clash in the Semi-Final meeting at Wembley

265339_thumb.jpg

Liverpool: Selling Suarez is the last thing on our mind
Managing director Ian Ayre insists that keeping the in-demand Uruguayan forward is central to the Reds' plans of returning to the summit of English and European football

261407_thumb.jpg

Chelsea must bounce back to beat Fulham - Benitez
The Blues boss admits that everyone at the club was frustrated by their FA Cup defeat to Manchester City but is targetting a return to the top three with a derby triumph

272704_thumb.jpg

Cardiff City promoted to the Premier League
Malky Mackay's side confirm their presence as the top flight's second Welsh team next season, having only needed a draw against Charlton on Tuesday to reach their target

245924_thumb.jpg

Jol would love to sign Lampard but 'he will never play for Fulham'
The former Tottenham boss laughs off suggestions that the veteran Chelsea midfielder could make the short journey from Stamford Bridge to Craven Cottage in the summer

130265_thumb.jpg

I held talks with Tottenham over move, admits ex-PSG boss Kombouare
The 49-year-old left the Ligue 1 side in December 2011 and claims he spoke with the north London club before they appointed Andre-Villas-Boas, as well as West Brom and Swansea

266391_thumb.jpg

Chelsea will loan out De Bruyne again, says agent
The midfielder's representative claims Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke are all interested in the 21-year-old after a promising campaign at Werder Bremen

261407_thumb.jpg

Luiz is key to Chelsea success - Benitez
While the Spaniard knows his whole squad must be used to deal with his team's fixture congestion, he did stress how valuable the Brazilian defender has become to the Blues

271811_thumb.jpg

Arteta: I want to play for as long as Beckham
The Spaniard insists he has no regrets about leaving Everton to join Arsenal, and hopes to prolong his top-level playing career as much as the 37-year-old PSG man

263762_thumb.jpg

Europa League and top four would be success for Chelsea, insists Luiz
The 25-year-old believes winning the European competition as well as securing Champions League football for next season would represent a worthwhile campaign for the Blues

247781_thumb.jpg

Debuchy: Newcastle will fight to the end
The ex-Lille man says he knows just how much his team's losses have hurt the fans but insists that they are not going to give up in search of Premier League survival

272015_thumb.jpg

Ferguson proud of United character
The Old Trafford boss says his side's match at the Britannia Stadium was a test which they passed and demanded a repeat against West Ham

270992_thumb.jpg

Leonardo hints at PSG move for Ribery, Nasri & Cabaye
The Brazilian says he would like to bring Ligue 1 alumni back to France but stressed that he has not had contact with anyone ahead of the summer

243436_thumb.jpg

Zabaleta wants to win FA Cup for stricken father
The Argentine full-back's dad missed the competition triumph over Stoke two years ago after a car crash back in Buenos Aires

264527_thumb.jpg

Hazard: Chelsea were frightened of Man City
The Belgium midfielder says the Blues ultimately paid the price for a slow start in their FA Cup semi-final, having shown too much respect for their opponents

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aguero apologises to Luiz for two-footed stamp in FA Cup semi-final win over Chelsea

By LAURIE WHITWELL PUBLISHED: 21:35 GMT, 16 April 2013 | UPDATED: 00:27 GMT, 17 April 2013

Sergio Aguero has apologised to David Luiz for his two-footed stamp on the Brazilian defender during Manchester City’s FA Cup semi-final win over Chelsea. The Argentine escaped a three-match ban after Chris Foy missed the horror tackle and the FA ruled the incident could not be re-refereed.

article-2310151-194AE26C000005DC-250_634x386.jpg

Influential: Sergio Aguero played a key role in Manchester City reaching thee FA Cup final

Luiz had called on Aguero to say sorry and the striker tweeted: ‘I’ve contacted @DavidLuiz_4 and apologised for what happened during the match. It was an impulse reaction that shouldn’t have happened.’ The victim responded: ‘Thank you @aguerosergiokun for a demonstration of character. We get to know great man and athletes this way.’ Luiz suffered no serious harm in the challenge and played on until the end of the match - but in the aftermath did call on his fellow South American to apologise.

article-2310151-194FC3DC000005DC-263_634x346.jpg

Over the top: But Aguero has apologised to David Luiz

The defender said: 'Aguero is a great player but he needs to be honest with himself and say, "I don't like to do bad tackles". 'Kids see the game and they want to see the good things and not the bad - I would apologise. Football is beautiful, but sometimes in games people have five seconds like that - I forgive him because I have a good heart. I don't like to beat people. 'Sometimes in a game people have five seconds when they are angry and do things they don't like to do. I think it was that. I never saw Aguero do a bad tackle on other players.' City won 2-1 after goals from Samir Nasri and Aguero when only Demba Ba could score for Chelsea.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cardiff 0 Charlton 0: Bluebirds hit the big league... Promotion jackpot means City's cash problems are over

By RIATH AL-SAMARRAI PUBLISHED: 20:39 GMT, 16 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:50 GMT, 16 April 2013

The gamble paid off. After years of spending, striving, crying and a trip to the High Court, Cardiff City finally secured their return to the top flight after a 51-year absence.Ultimately, it wasn’t pretty, a goalless draw securing the promotion that looked in recent years like it might never materialise.But when you’ve had a season like Cardiff have had, that can probably be forgiven.

article-2310060-195487D4000005DC-193_634x422.jpg

Going up: Cardiff players celebrate in the changing room after getting promoted to the Premier League

article-2310060-195481E2000005DC-624_634x420.jpg

Some people are on the pitch: Cardiff fans celebrate on the pitch saying goodbye to the Football League Show and welcoming being on Match of the Day

article-2310060-1954A55D000005DC-792_634x396.jpg

Promotion flag: Rudy Gestede and Craig Noone celebrate going up

MATCH FACTS

Cardiff: Marshall, McNaughton, Turner, Barnett, Taylor, Noone (Smith 71), Kim, Gunnarsson, Mutch, Bellamy, Gestede.
Subs not used: Lewis, Whittingham, Cowie, Conway, Mason, Nugent.

Charlton:
Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Dervite, Wiggins, Harriott, Hughes (Gower 81), Jackson, Pritchard (Green 88), Kermorgant, Fuller (Obika 81).

Subs not used: Button, Taylor, Kerkar, Wilson.

Booked: Fuller.

Attendance: 26,338
Referee: Scott Mathieson

Cardiff are promoted to the Premier League

article-2310060-195490C7000005DC-917_296x196.jpg

Such was their sustained dominance of this division, they could have swallowed a loss last night and still gone up considering Watford’s loss at Millwall.That is academic now in much the same way as their enormous debts should be when the Premier League cheques are cashed. To think, just three years ago they were in court fighting a winding-up order.Perhaps that’s what those fans were thinking when they stormed the pitch and danced manaically at the end, one waving a banner that read: ‘Goodbye Manish, hello Gary’ — a reference to the presenters of the BBC’s football highlights shows.Another read: ‘Look out Swansea, we are coming to get you.’

Cardiff manager Malky Mackay said: ‘The people of Cardiff deserved this. They have backed me and backed this team. I am delighted for them. This division is about getting good people and good characters and we have that. This division is getting better and better so for us to get promoted, I am so happy.’
His captain, Mark Hudson, added: ‘We have had moments when we have all looked into each other’s eyes and all knew how much we wanted to go up.‘The fans have had a long wait for this. I am so happy for everyone involved. So much has happened.’Indeed, at the end of each of the past three seasons their campaign has ended with defeat in the play-offs. Four years ago they collapsed spectacularly on the stretch and finished seventh.

article-2310060-1954930F000005DC-585_634x421.jpg

We've done it: Rudy Gestede and Craig Noone celebrate after the final whistle

article-2310060-19549CDF000005DC-784_306x423.jpg
article-2310060-19549E0B000005DC-194_306x423.jpg

Hands up if you're going up: Craig Bellamy and Bo-Kyung Kim celebrate promotion

article-2310060-195492A2000005DC-767_634x417.jpg

Riding a wave: Leon Barnett is carried by fans after the game

Quite how they have kept it together financially over that period, which has also included defeats in the finals of the FA Cup and League Cup, is anyone’s guess. Their most recent set of accounts revealed debts of £83million, the consequence of an almost reckless desire from successive owners to reach the Premier League goldmine. As recently as yesterday afternoon that appeal was underlined with news that teams relegated from next season’s top flight will pocket £60million in parachute payments over four years — a £12m rise on what was already a tasty consolation.

article-2310060-1954933B000005DC-657_634x419.jpg

Celebration time: Cardiff chairman Vincent Tan celebrates after watching his side win promotion

But for all Cardiff’s spending — Craig Bellamy is understood to earn in the region of £35,000 a week, Fraizer Campbell £25,000 — it has never looked like a gamble in this particular campaign.They went top of the table in November and have not slipped since. They have, by some margin, been the best of the second string, even if there were moments last night when that might have seemed dubious.In the second minute, Riccardo Fuller tested David Marshall from 25 yards and 20 minutes later Jonnie Jackson went even closer with a free-kick that Marshall pushed on to the post.

article-2310060-19542FF1000005DC-281_634x425.jpg

Scramble: Jordan Mutch and Rudy Gestede of Cardiff City try and beat the Charlton defence

article-2310060-19543099000005DC-34_634x409.jpg

On the run: Craig Bellamy is chased by Chris Solly and Yann Kermorgant

article-2310060-1954333F000005DC-329_634x429.jpg

No way through: Aron Gunnarsson competes with Jonnie Jackson and Andy Hughes

That was about as close as they came. Bellamy had chances for Cardiff and so did Craig Noone and Andrew Taylor.Noone actually had the ball in the net in the second half, only for the party to be spoilt by an offside flag. That said, it was only spoilt for a matter of minutes.In the time between that goal and the final whistle, when news filtered through that Millwall had beaten Watford 1-0, Charlton manager Chris Powell walked over to Mackay, his former room-mate at Watford and West Ham, and had a quick conversation.

article-2310060-19542D61000005DC-612_634x486.jpg

Flying towards the Premier League: Kevin McNaughton wins header beating Charlton's Ricardo Fuller

Powell said: ‘We used to speak about managing when our careers are over. It was written for him to be the one who took them up. I am proud of him and so happy for him. I went up to him and said, “Enjoy the moment. This is your time. Savour every moment”.’It was a nice touch from a classy man.Charlton have play-off ambitions of their own and came in on the back of a 6-0 mauling of Barnsley, their third win in four.

They have developed that peculiar trait of performing better away than home, but here they were very much guests at someone else’s party.Bellamy was in tears as he said: ‘We deserve to go up, there’s no two ways about it. Let’s see where we go in the next couple of weeks, whether we can finish as champions. This city’s been craving it for a number of years now. I’m so happy.’
That summed it up.