• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

278224_thumb.jpg

'Let's wait and see' - Schurrle hints at Chelsea move
The Bayer Leverkusen forward said he spoke with the newly appointed Blues boss after playing under him in a charity friendly organised by Michael Ballack in Germany

173007_thumb.jpg

Baldini leaves Roma as Tottenham line up director of football
The Italian has parted company with the Serie A club despite having two years left to run on his contract at the Olimpico Stadium, with a move to White Hart Lane strongly mooted

285600_thumb.jpg

Rio Ferdinand: Good luck Neymar... let's see you dazzle Europe
The highly rated youngster completed a €57 million move to Barcelona on Monday, and the Manchester United defender says he is looking forward to seeing him on a bigger stage

286147_thumb.jpg

Fulham confirm Stekelenburg signing
The Netherlands international has penned a four-year deal following a switch from Roma, with Goal earlier revealing the goalkeeper had completed a medical ahead of the move

224916_thumb.jpg

Arsenal to release Arshavin, Denilson and Squillaci
The three players managed just 96 minutes of Premier League action between them last season, with the Brazilian midfielder on loan at Sao Paulo and the other two out of favour

257459_thumb.jpg

Liverpool deny reports of Gerrard shoulder surgery setback
The Anfield captain missed the final two games of the season, plus England's recent friendly double-header, but the club expects the midfielder to be fit ahead of the new campaign

274782_thumb.jpg

Stekelenburg completes Fulham medical ahead of move from Roma
Dutch goalkeeper has undertaken medical tests at the Cottagers' Motspur Park headquarters as he finalises his £4 million transfer from Serie A club

286050_thumb.jpg

Rooney promotes new Manchester United kit
The wantaway striker, who has been targeted by Arsenal, was among the players modelling the club's new home strip for the 2013-14 campaign

236991_thumb.jpg

Fernandinho arrives for medical ahead of €29m Manchester City move
The Premier League club have reached a compromise with Shakhtar Donetsk over a fee for the Brazil midfielder, who will join Spain international Jesus Navas at the Etihad Stadium

280105_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's €30m-plus-Dzeko bid for Cavani stalls
The Uruguayan's representatives have agreed a €180,000-a-week deal in principle with the Premier League side, but Napoli are holding out for a fee close to his €63m release clause

275298_thumb.jpg

Suarez odds on to leave Liverpool for Real Madrid this summer
The Uruguayan star admitted he would find a move to the Bernabeu very hard to turn down, and he is now odds on to be plying his trade in the Spanish capital next season

264187_thumb.jpg

Rooney wants striker role at Manchester United
After a season as Robin van Persie's understudy the England international believes that his best form will come from playing in his natural role should he remain at Old Trafford

285179_thumb.jpg

Gullit: Mourinho will struggle to repeat success at Chelsea
The former Blues boss has fired a warning to the club not to expect the same results from the Special One's first stint in charge at Stamford Bridge after his return was confirmed

268985_thumb.jpg

Sneijder leaves door open for Mourinho reunion at Chelsea
The Netherlands international - who played under the Portuguese at Inter - has not ruled out playing under his former coach again

285916_thumb.jpg

Ballack: Mourinho returning to Chelsea is fantastic
The former Germany captain believes the Portuguese's long awaited Stamford Bridge return is a superb decision and expects the Blues to improve under his guidance

282567_thumb.jpg

Melo unaware of Manchester City interest
The Brazilian midfielder has admitted he is open to a return to Turkish side Galatasaray amid reports that a deal has been struck between Juventus and the Etihad Stadium outfit

273754_thumb.jpg

Ozil and Khedira thank Mourinho
The Germany internationals took to social media to express their gratitude to their former boss

269760_thumb.jpg

Rosicky expects to stay at Arsenal
The Czech Republic international has been linked with a move away from Emirates Stadium this summer but is confident he will still be with the Gunners next season

260598_thumb.jpg

West Ham's €17m bid for Negredo rejected, says Sevilla president
The Premier League outfit had an offer worth up to €20 million swiftly turned down by both club and player in April, with the striker uninterested in a move to Upton Park

246211_thumb.jpg

Koscielny: I will leave Arsenal if trophy drought continues
The defender is ready to exit the Emirates Stadium this summer unless the Gunners are ready to show the ambition to fight for their first piece of silverware in over eight years

282671_thumb.jpg

Montpellier president confirms Aston Villa bid for Belhanda
The Midlands club are the only Premier League side to have made a concrete offer for the Moroccan, but face competition from AC Milan, Inter, Atletico Madrid and Galatasaray

248187_thumb.jpg

'I am very happy in Manchester' - De Gea dismisses United exit talk
The goalkeeper has rejected rumours of a potential move back to Spain after coming into his own in his second season following a disappointing first year at Old Trafford

243436_thumb.jpg

Manchester City fans name Zabaleta their Player of the Year
The Argentina international defender received the vast majority of votes from the club's supporters, beating Carlos Tevez and Matija Nastasic to the end-of-season accolade

281212_thumb.jpg

Rooney open to summer Arsenal move
Arsene Wenger has gone public with his interest in England's talisman, with the Gunners preparing to put together a salary package that can entice the Manchester United man

207246_thumb.jpg

Jesus Navas decided on Manchester City move four months ago
The former Sevilla winger says he had decided the Etihad Stadium would be his next destination some time ago and looks forward to potentially linking up with Manuel Pellegrini

281772_thumb.jpg

Reina backs Valdes to honour his Barcelona contract
The Liverpool goalkeeper wants to put an end to the transfer speculation surrounding him and his international colleague, claiming both are staying with their current clubs

277641_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's season tainted by Champions League failure, admits Rafael
The Red Devils right-back says defeat to Real Madrid in the last-16 of Europe's premier club competition remains the only regret after an amazing campaign at Old Trafford

285458_thumb.jpg

Hodgson heaps praise on Rooney
The Manchester United forward was not always first choice at Old Trafford last season but the Three Lions boss says he will always be a regular starter in the international set-up

277248_thumb.jpg

Bale would be a worthwhile investment, claims Madrid president
Florentino Perez added more fuel to the speculation linking the PFA Player of the Year with a move to the Spanish giants saying the Liga runners-up "like" the Welshman's profile

281352_thumb.jpg

Van Persie not obsessed with scoring goals
The Dutchman topped the Premier League scoring charts in back-to-back seasons with the Red Devils and Arsenal but insists his game is about more than just finding the net

251232_thumb.jpg

Sagna coy over Arsenal future amid Ligue 1 interest
The France international admits he is open to interest from Paris Saint-Germain or Monaco this summer and would be ready to tackle "a new challenge"

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea appoint Mourinho on four-year deal

Mourinho has signed a four-year deal to take charge of Chelsea for a second spell

281451_heroa.jpg

By Oliver Platt

Jun 3, 2013 2:00:00 PM

The Europa League holders have confirmed the appointment of the Portuguese for his second spell in charge at Stamford Bridge following a six-year absence

Jose Mourinho has been appointed Chelsea manager on a four-year deal.

The Portuguese coach succeeds Rafael Benitez, who has joined Napoli following his six-month interim spell at Stamford Bridge, in the Blues hot-seat.

Mourinho returns to west London for his second spell as Chelsea manager. Since he left the club less than six years ago, the Blues have been through eight managers when caretakers are included.

Ron Gourlay, the Blues' chief executive, welcomed the 50-year-old back to the club, saying: "I am delighted to welcome Jose back to Chelsea. His continued success, drive and ambition made him the outstanding candidate.

MOURINHO'S BEST QUOTES

A SPECIAL ONE...

"Please do not call me arrogant because what I say is true. I'm European champion, I'm not one out of the bottle, I think I'm a special one."

SCARED OF THE SWAN...

"I'm feeling a lot of pressure with the swan in Scotland. It's not far and I'm more scared of the swan than of football. What's football compared to life? A swan with bird flu, for me that's a drama."

NO EGGS, NO OMELETTES...

"Omelettes, eggs. No eggs, no omelettes. And it depends on the quality of the eggs in the supermarket. They are class one, two or three and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes."

AN UGLY PITCH...

"Sometimes you have ugly people who are intelligent, like scientists. Our pitch is a bit like that. From the top it's a disgrace but the ball rolls at normal speed." "It is our aim to keep the club moving forward to achieve greater success in the future and Jose is our number one choice as we believe he is the right manager to do just that."

Mourinho was Roman Abramovich's first managerial appointment following his 2003 takeover and his most successful to date. In three seasons at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho delivered two Premier League titles, one FA Cup and two League Cups but did not win the Champions League.

He will hope to rectify that upon his return after the most difficult period of his career at Real Madrid.

Mourinho won the 2011-12 Liga title, ending Barcelona's run of dominance in Spain, but could not progress beyond the semi-finals of the Champions League and conceded the Spanish championship back to Tito Vilanova's team last season.

Abramovich has invested heavily at Chelsea in recent seasons as the team Mourinho helped to construct has aged, and the future looks bright for the two-time Champions League winner's return.

Frank Lampard, John Terry and Petr Cech remain the key cogs of Mourinho's previous Blues team but the likes of Juan Mata, David Luiz and Eden Hazard lead the side now.

The spending, too, looks set to continue this summer. Goal exclusively revealed that Vitesse midfielder Marco van Ginkel is set to become the first signing of Mourinho's second spell in charge while the Europa League winners have also entered into negotiations with Roma for their Italy international midfielder Daniele De Rossi.

Mourinho will bring Rui Faria, Silvino Louro and Jose Morais with him to help make up his backroom staff, while Steve Holland, Christophe Lollichon and Chris Jones will all remain at Stamford Bridge to work alongside the Portuguese coach.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I've arrived at my Chelsea in the best moment of my career' - Mourinho's first interview in full

Jose Mourinho has outlined his Chelsea plans

278209_heroa.jpg

Jun 3, 2013 10:18:00 PM

The newly confirmed Blues manager has spoken to the club's official TV station giving his thoughts on everything from transfers to his priorities at Stamford Bridge

New Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has given his first full interview since being confirmed by the club on Monday afternoon. You can read the full transcript below of his conversation with Chelsea TV.

Welcome back, how are you?

I'm very happy. I had to prepare myself not to be too emotional for my arrival at the club but obviously I'm very happy.

How big a decision was it for you? It's not common for managers to go back.
It was an easy decision. I met the boss, the owner, and I think within five minutes after some short and pragmatic questions we decided straight away. I asked the boss do you want me back, and the boss asked me do you want to come back, and in a couple of minutes the decision was made.

It worked out well in a way for both parties before. While you left and did what you wanted to do, Chelsea have continued to win things and built on what you did.
It was a difficult moment, September 2007, because I love it here and I have a big connection with the club, and also for the club it wasn't easy. But if you analyse it in a cool way, emotions apart, it was fantastic because my career after that, I had everything I was aiming for in my career. I wanted to win the grand slam, to win in England, Spain and Italy. I did it. I got all the trophies in three countries. I got my second Champions League too.

I enjoy being in different countries, in different football cultures, and I think it's important for my evolution as a manager and a football coach, and Chelsea Football Club got important trophies after that and had important moments in the history of the club. Now we are back together and we are getting together at a great moment for us both, so I think we are ready to marry again and be happy and successful.

What's the plan now?
The plan is always the same, evolution and to establish the club at the highest possible level. I left Chelsea in 2007, since then I've spoken about the club many times, especially in my privacy. I remember the day we went to the United States in 2004 pre-season. We had open training sessions with only a couple of kids watching the sessions, nobody was following the team. It was the beginning of Roman and his second season I suppose was the beginning of Chelsea. After that Chelsea started winning the Premier League, for the first time and then the second time, and after that when we went back to the United States we found a completely different situation around the club.

I can imagine now especially after the Champions League, that was the highest point of the club's history, that this is now a bigger club. The social mass around the club is much bigger.

I am the same, physically the same, but every day you have to think about yourself, especially the manager, and about the evolution. I have the same nature but I'm much more mature with a different approach to things, I'm more ready to be in a club and stay for a long time.

Normally you haven't spent a lot more than about three years with a club so you are saying this is longer-term building?
I hope so. When you look at the profile of the Chelsea squad I think it's what they need at this time. If you look from my time, there are around four or five boys and these are the older ones - very important for this football club and very important for the balance of the squad, but it's a young squad with a lot of talent and I think they need stability to reach a high point of their evolution and for their careers. They need stability, stability I hope I can give them and between me, the owner and of course the club, we have no doubts about what we want to do and the approach we want to have. I'm very confident I can help the team and help the boys to develop.

I feel myself not just as the Chelsea manager, because this is the first time in my career that I've arrived at a club that I already love. Normally I love the club a couple of years after I am there. Of course I go to a club, I wear the shirt and I feel the shirt with the crest and I give everything I have to do it, but this is the first time where I love it already. To be at the same time a Chelsea fan and a Chelsea manager is a new feeling for me and it's a fantastic feeling.

You have a head start with the fans as you are already popular.
I know I am and I know at this football club there is a culture for the fans to be loyal to somebody who gave. When I watch a Chelsea match on TV and I see, for example, a banner which says Didier Drogba, that's fantastic, and it makes Chelsea a special club.

I know they have a special feeling for me. I played against Chelsea with Inter and it was difficult because I was feeling it wasn't a normal situation for me, and I think the people in the stands felt the same as me, so I belong to them and they belong to me.

I think they know my nature, and they know I'm not coming here to sleep on what I did in the past and be comfortable just because we have a great feeling and we have a great relationship. Probably the first day I put my foot in Stamford Bridge again they will sing my name, but I'm not that kind of person and professional. I'm very demanding of myself. I need of course their support but I want to start from ground zero, I need to work hard again and build a different team from the team I built in the past. I want to give everything I can to the club, to the owner and to the fans, forgetting a little bit that I was a champion here. I want to have that pressure on myself like it is the first time I am here and I have to work hard to make sure they have a reason to be happy with me.

In the past six years you won the treble with Inter and had one incredible season in the league with Real Madrid. You say you are more mature now, how do you assess your development since you've been away from us?
Italy was something I wanted very, very much to do. Italian football is for sure the most tactical one, very difficult, especially if you are a team that wants to win, competing against teams that don't want to lose. It was a big challenge for me.

I arrived in a club where there was an atmosphere of frustration because they couldn't succeed in the Champions League and we got that trophy and for the first time in Italian football the treble. It helps me a lot to be more cultural. After Portugal and England I went to football with a different perspective. It was a big challenge for me, I had to challenge myself a lot and to study a lot. I think I became a better manager living in Inter.

I went to Madrid because I wanted to try to do the grand slam, the three most important championships in the world, and also because twice I had the chance to go to Real before, and I never did it because I decided to stay at Chelsea. The last one was the day after we won the FA Cup final at Wembley, and I thought "no way, I am going to stay". The third time I wanted to go, I wanted another culture and another club with a worldwide dimension in terms of social approach and it was a fantastic experience for me. I think it was really important to get it in this period I call the last step of my formation as a manager. I've just turned 50 now and just finished my lap around European football. This experience in Madrid was fantastic because culturally it was hard, it was difficult. Portuguese and Spanish, and Spanish and Portuguese, and Real Madrid, a special club in a season where they have elections for the presidency, lots of politics around.

Last year we beat the record and got 100 points and 121 goals. This season everybody was focused on the Champions League. We reached the semi-finals and we all know, especially in this club, that semi-finals are a critical moment where you need that click to do it.

In our club there's the semi-final we lost on penalties against Liverpool; the semi-final we lost with Guus Hiddink against Barcelona. You have the semi-final that took us to the final when we won with Roberto [Di Matteo], and we know in the Champions League semi-final you need that click. We [Real Madrid] didn't have that click and couldn't get the 10th European Cup that was an ambition for the club, but it was a fantastic experience for me and I think I arrived in my club, in my Chelsea, in the best moment of my career - of my stability as a manager, my stability as a person - always with my incredible family supporting me. I think I arrived in my best moment ready to give everything I have to try to make the club happy.

It seemed towards the end you lost your smile a little but in Madrid, but you're happier now?
I'm not happy, I am very happy. As I was saying I was preparing myself in the last couple of days to control emotions, to come here in a cool way but I'm really emotional. I try to hide it a little bit but I am so happy and so proud because I think when you return to a place it is for some reason, not just because you have good results in the past or because the fans like you very much, it's also because as a human point of view you left something here. People know the person I am, I kept a fantastic relationship with the owner and the club, and it's something that makes me proud to be back. Not just because of the professional I am, I believe also because of the person I am.

The top three clubs in England will all be under new management next season. It is a very exciting time.
I think the Premier League is the Premier League. This season in terms of the Champions League, which is normally a thermometer of world football, I think English football was too early outside the competition. People were speaking about the level of the Premier League moving down comparing it with other countries, but I don't believe so much on that. Sometimes things happen and there are no really firm reasons. I still think the Premier League is a fantastic competition and I don't know but I believe there will be five or six teams very strong. In my time here in 2004 it was more about us, Man United and Arsenal, and after that a gap to the other teams. In this moment I think you can put five or six teams in the same plan, aiming at the start to reach the Champions League spots which is very difficult, and with more ambition to win the Premier League, and so the competition will be fantastic. I hope I can beat the competition.

Will the Premier League be the priority?
We have to improve the team, and when I say improve the team people are already thinking about how many millions Chelsea are going to spend, and when I say improve the team I am saying improving by work. My work has to improve players and improve the team. If I don't do that I am not happy with myself. If after that we can improve the team by buying a couple of players it is fantastic but I have to improve the team and the players with my work. That's a priority, improve.

In the last two years you were struggling in the Premier League. If you didn't win the Champions League you would be out of the Champions League this year. This year you had to fight until the last match to qualify. We have to try of course to improve, but the priority in a club that reached the level is exactly that - improve individually, improve collectively and improve the structure of the club around the football team, and try to win the next match. Which one is the next match? The Premier League? Let's go for the Premier League. If the next match is the FA Cup, let's go for the FA Cup. It is difficult for me to say something is the priority. The priority is to work hard, work professionally and make the team better.

There is a lot of new talent for you to work with, exciting, flair players. How are you thinking about the style of the side right now?
First of all I need to work with them. I like the profile. I like the fact we have three, four or five players from the beginning of the winning Chelsea, and I think they have to be always a part of the Chelsea soul, so I'm so happy we kept some of these boys.

But the profile of the younger players with long-term space for improvement and development, I like very much that kind of profile. I've come with a four-year contract so with the age of Eden Hazard, Oscar, David Luiz and these boys, I think it will be good for me to work with them and good for them to work with me. Together we can improve and make a better team than we have now.

Can you tell us what the staff you are bring with you are going to do?
Rui [Faria] as you know is my methodology right arm, the guy that understands best my information and the way I work. He's been with me since the beginning, the same as Silvino. [Jose] Morais started working with me at Inter, at the time Andre [Villas-Boas] went to coach in Portugal. Morais does the same work Andre was doing - scouting and analysing, working hand in hand with [ Chelsea match analyst] James Melbourne. He's been a friend for a long time and has been coaching in many countries, in Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Tunisia, Sweden, Morocco. He's a guy with fantastic experience and he's working in that area.

From the previous staff I get Christophe Lollichon, Steve Holland and Chris Jones. They are people who have been here a long time and are very much trusted internally, and I'm happy to have them in my staff. From this moment they become only one staff, which is Chelsea staff, and we are going to work together and work hard to try to give what everybody is waiting for.

Presumably you need a holiday?
I am sorry we don't start training tomorrow. I say to the players during the season when sometimes they look tired, victories make miracles. When you win, win, win, you are never tired. In my case, it's not about winning, it's about moving, moving to a place I love and happiness. I'm so happy to be back. The players need a holiday, I don't. I'm waiting for them and when we start they will find somebody with great motivation, in spite of my white hair, which I didn't have in 2004.

We go to Asia, then America and then play the Super Cup. You against Pep Guardiola, that's a good start.
It's not Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, it's Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Mourinho did nothing to play this match, and Guardiola did nothing to play this match. The players did it, and the previous managers did it, so I will be in that match just by trying to help my club and my players win the trophy, nothing else. It's not going to be crucial to our work or our season. We have to go to pre-season, work hard in pre-season. We have club commitments, that's also important, and socially it's important to go to areas such as Asia and the States, and give what the club need us to give, but we have to work hard.

Nine years ago in the Chelsea TV studio you looked in the camera and you said I can promise you quality, work and love and passion to bring success to the club. Would that be the same message you give today?
It is exactly the same message but now I can say I am one of you and that makes a little bit of a difference, I have never had that in football. I had in my career two great passions, Inter and Chelsea, and Chelsea is more than important for me. It was very, very hard to play against Chelsea and I did it only twice which was not so bad so now I promise exactly the same things I promised in 2004, with this difference which is I'm one of you.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton appoint Martinez as manager

Jun 5, 2013 2:32:00 PM

279517_heroa.jpg

The former Wigan boss has been announced as the successor to Manchester United-bound David Moyes, signing a four-year deal after leaving the DW Stadium

Everton have appointed Roberto Martinez as their new manager, signing a four-year deal at Goodison Park after leaving Wigan.

Goal exclusively revealed on May 8 that the Spaniard was Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright's No.1 target to replace the Manchester United-bound David Moyes.

Martinez won the FA Cup with Wigan in May, beating Manchester City in the final, before seeing the Latics relegated following eight years in the Premier League.

The 39-year-old was approached by Aston Villa to replace Gerard Houllier in June 2011, before holding talks with Everton's city rivals Liverpool 12 months later but rejected a move after refusing to share control of recruiting players.

"Roberto's influence at the club, both as a player and manager, an association that spanned over a decade, will remain unforgettable to all Latics' fans," read a statement from Wigan.

"The club would like to place on record its appreciation for his tireless work during that time, culminating in FA Cup glory last month at Wembley Stadium."

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jose Mourinho: my relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo broke down because thought he knew everything

Jose Mourinho, the new Chelsea manager, has taken a parting shot at Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo by suggesting that their relationship deteriorated because of the player’s reluctance to accept constructive criticism.

jose-mourinho_eopa_2581643b.jpg

Big personalities: Jose Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo eventually fell out at Real Madrid Photo: EPA

By Jeremy Wilson
11:07AM BST 05 Jun 2013

Ronaldo had a phenomenal goal-scoring record at Madrid during three years under Mourinho, scoring 120 times in La Liga, but their relationship broke down during the past season. Asked why this was, Mourinho said: “I had only one problem with him, very simple, very basic, which was when a coach criticises a player from a tactical viewpoint trying to improve what in my view could have been improved. And at this moment he didn’t take it very well because maybe he thinks he knows everything and the coach cannot help him to develop anymore.

“Cristiano has had three fantastic seasons with me, I don’t know if they were the best of his career because he had some fantastic moments with United. I think we created a fantastic situation for him tactically in which he could express all his potential and turn that into records and goals.”

The comments suggest there is no possibility of Chelsea bidding to take Ronaldo to Stamford Bridge but his future, which will be closely monitored by Manchester United, does still remain in some doubt.

Ronaldo’s contract expires in 2015 and, although president Florentino Pérez is confident of keeping his club’s main asset, talks over a potential extension have not yet resulted in a new deal. After losing in three consecutive Champions League semi-finals, Pérez predicted that Ronaldo would stay to help inspire Real to win the European Cup for an unprecedented 10th time. “Cristiano is priceless – we will do it and Cristiano will score in the final,” Pérez said.

Mourinho admitted yesterday that it was “better for all” that he left Madrid and expects Carlo Ancelotti, another former Chelsea manager, to succeed him at the Bernabéu.

Deciding which players to keep will be an immediate question for Mourinho, with Michael Essien and Romelu Lukaku among those who have returned from loan spells. Essien wants to stay if he is part of Mourinho’s plans. “When Mourinho wants me to do a job for him, I will do it,” Essien said. “Jose is the right man to take the club forward.”

Mourinho has already begun drawing up his list of permanent targets for the summer transfer window, with a centre-back, a central midfielder and a striker the three key priorities.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho reunited with Drogba as Ballack bows out... but will Dzeko and Jovetic be joining £20m new boy Schurrle at Chelsea?

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 17:16 GMT, 5 June 2013 | UPDATED: 23:15 GMT, 5 June 2013

Jose Mourinho could be forgiven for feeling slightly nostalgic on Wednesday night.In a week when the Special One confirmed his return to Chelsea six years after his acrimonious departure, reminders of heady days gone by surrounded the 50-year-old. Mourinho took time out from his whirlwind week to manage a star-studded World XI in former Blues midfielder Michael Ballack’s testimonial at the Red Bull Arena in Leipzig, Germany.

article-2336403-1A2B50CB000005DC-71_634x423.jpg

Blue in the making? Andre Schurrle (right) is believed to be on the brink of joining Jose Mourinho at Chelsea

article-2336403-1A2AEB28000005DC-796_634x417.jpg

Reunion: Michael Ballack (left) stands alongside his former manager Jose Mourinho (right)

article-2336403-1A2ADCDD000005DC-717_634x629.jpg

Back in the frey: Jose Mourinho was on the pitch ahead of his World XI's outing

article-2336403-1A2AF2D1000005DC-517_634x414.jpg

Back in the shadows: Mourinho played an understated role from the dugout as Ballack took his bow

If Mourinho felt a slight sense of deja vu then it would have been justified, with his side including Ricardo Carvalho, Michael Essien, Florent Malouda, Andriy Shevchenko and Didier Drogba — all of whom played under the Portuguese manager during his trophy-laden stay in west London. Last night’s festivities provided Mourinho with a chance to take his foot off the gas after a non-stop 72 hours.
But he met Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller, who was managing the Ballack and Friends team — beaten 4-3 by Mourinho’s World XI — to work out a deal to bring Andre Schurrle to the Bridge.

A £20m deal for the 22-year-old forward, who will sign a five-year contract, is expected to be confirmed on Thursday morning. As Sportsmail revealed on Tuesday, Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko and Fiorentina forward Stevan Jovetic are also wanted by Mourinho, and the club are looking at signing Zenit St Petersburg’s Hulk.

article-2336403-1A2B4947000005DC-803_634x402.jpg

Still got it: Didier Drogba celebrated after netting a stunning strike from distance

article-2336403-1A2B2F80000005DC-161_634x490.jpg

Goal threat: Andre Schurrle (right) netted for the World XI against Ballack & Friends

The Brazil forward, 26, has been a long-term target for the Blues, with the club trying, and failing, to sign the forward on numerous occasions during Andre Villas-Boas’s time in charge.Likewise, Mourinho has defensive headaches to resolve, none more so than sorting out John Terry’s long-term future.The Blues skipper, 32, is out of contract next summer, but has made it clear to the Blues hierarchy that he wants to see out the rest of his career at Stamford Bridge. However, even if Terry does earn himself a new 12-month extension, Mourinho will look to strengthen his defensive options during the summer.

article-2336403-1A2AF1AF000005DC-997_634x353.jpg

In the goals: Michael Ballack directs his shot past Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Essien as Florent Malouda watches

article-2336403-1A2AF33D000005DC-27_634x657.jpg

Come here you: Real Madrid star Essien hugs Ballack after his former team-mate netted

article-2336403-1A2AF081000005DC-782_634x412.jpg

Plotting: Mourinho has been under the spotlight for much of the week after re-signing for Chelsea

article-2336403-19EA6C8D000005DC-270_306x423.jpg
article-2336403-19F84779000005DC-229_306x423.jpg

Target men: Edin Dzeko (right) and Stevan Jovetic (left) are top targets for Mourinho at Chelsea

Chelsea are keen on Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala, while they also carry an interest in Valencia’s 27-year-old central defender Adil Rami, who has also been linked with Manchester City.One player who is unlikely to join Mourinho’s Chelsea revolution is Cristiano Ronaldo, after the manager revealed he fell out with the superstar forward at Real Madrid.Mourinho told Spain Intereconomia: ‘He (Ronaldo) had three great seasons with me. I don’t know if they were the best in his career because at Manchester United he had great seasons too. ‘But I think we found for him a tactical situation that helped him express himself on the pitch perfectly as shown by goal figures.

article-2336403-1A2AF9C5000005DC-34_634x625.jpg

Meeting of minds: Mourinho (right) and Rudi Voller (left) have a chat in the tunnel

article-2336403-1A2AF8D4000005DC-231_634x466.jpg

And another: Ballack celebrates his second goal of the night in Leipzig

‘The only problem has been that a coach criticises him from a tactical point of view and he has not accepted it well, thinking, perhaps, that he knows it all and that the coach could not help him become any better.‘But there is no other problem. The last two games, which have been the only games in which he has not played because he always played before and he always gave everything for the team, in these last couple of weeks he has had this pain in his back and I don’t ever doubt the players when they say they are injured.’

article-2336403-1A2AEE8F000005DC-304_306x423.jpg
article-2336403-1A2AEE47000005DC-964_306x423.jpg

Reunion: Mourinho oversaw a number of Chelsea stars past and present during the match

article-2336403-1A2B3204000005DC-278_634x412.jpg

Old friends: Ballack stands between Lothar Matthaus and Didier Drogba (right) at the Red Bull Arena

Meanwhile, Kevin de Bruyne has admitted he does not know if he has a long-term future at Chelsea. The Belgium winger, who spent the season with Werder Bremen, could be playing for any one of four teams next season after provisionally agreeing terms with Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke and is waiting to hear whether he will be wanted at Stamford Bridge.‘I haven’t spoken to Jose Mourinho, so I don’t know what he thinks of me as a player or what his plans are for me,’ said De Bruyne.

article-2336403-1A20B7D9000005DC-198_634x395.jpg

Back in town: Jose Mourinho holds his Chelsea shirt after being confirmed as the new Chelsea manager

article-2336403-1A20823F000005DC-238_634x520.jpg

More of the same? Mourinho takes charge of a World XI to take on Michael Ballack's team

‘Logically, at big teams like Chelsea, the manager tends to go for the more experienced players and the younger ones have more chances at smaller teams. ‘For me, who the coach is doesn’t really matter. What counts is being at a team where I am going to play games. I want to progress and improve as a player, and I need to be playing to do that.’

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pele: The return of talented and honest Mourinho is good for Chelsea but he will need a bit of luck

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 00:33 GMT, 6 June 2013 | UPDATED: 00:39 GMT, 6 June 2013

Brazilian legend Pele believes that Jose Mourinho's return to Chelsea is the right move for the London club.The appointment of Mourinho has many Chelsea fans hoping that the Premier League trophy can also return to Stamford Bridge, where it was won by the Portuguese coach in 2005 and 2006. But although Pele feels Roman Abramovich has made the correct choice, he has warned that the comeback of "The Special One" is no guarantee of success.

article-2336637-1A20DE3C000005DC-44_634x361.jpg

Back in town: Pele believes Chelsea have made the right move to bring Mourinho back to Stamford Bridge

Pele, 72, told CNN: 'Mourinho's return is good for Chelsea because he's a good coach.'He is talented and very honest. I know him personally. But football is a box of surprises.'He has to have a bit of luck because in football, sometimes the best doesn't work. I wish him good luck.'

article-2336637-1A217C8E000005DC-644_634x421.jpg

The New Pele: Barcelona's Neymar, 21, has long been hyped up after his impressive performances for Santos

Another big move this week was Neymar's switch from Santos to Barcelona.The 21-year-old Brazilian striker was unveiled at the Nou Camp this week after leaving the club where Pele scored 589 goals in 605 appearances from 1956-1974. Neymar's scoring record - 54 goals in 103 appearances - has prompted some to bill him as "The New Pele" but the man himself was quick to play down this comparison.

article-2336637-0F1EB4B600000578-901_634x382.jpg

Playing it cool: Pele has played down the comparison but agrees that Neymar is one of Brazil's best players

He said: 'To be the new Pele would be very difficult, because my mother and my father closed the machine.'But no doubt he is one of the best players we have in Brazil.'Of course in Brazil we have a lot of excellent players like Zico, Tostao, Rivelino, Pele, Ronaldinho, but the last two years we have Neymar, who is very talented.'I hope he has luck in Barcelona. I didn't like it so much because he used to play in my team, Santos. I lost a good player. But it's important to understand that he deserves to go to the best team.'

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Let ME manage the team, or else I'm off! Redknapp gives strong warning to QPR owners, and threatens to leave if things don't go his way at Loftus Road

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 19:34 GMT, 5 June 2013 | UPDATED: 22:25 GMT, 5 June 2013

Harry Redknapp has warned Queens Park Rangers’ owners to back him in the transfer market or risk him quitting the club. Redknapp wants to be active in the transfer market this summer but has so far been frustrated in his attempts to lure his top targets. The QPR manager, 66, wants to sign Wayne Bridge from Manchester City on a free, but the move has so far proved elusive. Redknapp, who joined in November but failed to keep QPR in the Premier League, also said that if he doesn't get his choice of suitable players through the door, the club 'won't have a chance'.

article-2336502-19092A82000005DC-363_634x403.jpg

Warning: Redknapp insists he will leave if the management tasks are not left to him

article-2336502-03C5FE0200000514-951_634x471.jpg

Control: Owner Tony Fernandes has often put his hands in his pocket for the club

Redknapp told Sky Sports News:‘I’m happy there. The owners, the board are nice people to work for.'If they let me manage the club and choose the players I want and don’t interfere then they’ll have a chance, if they don’t then it’ll be difficult.‘If we don’t change it and I don’t get the players in I want then we won’t have a chance. You can’t let other people have any say at all. 'I’m a football person, I’ve got the staff around me who are football people, we have to make the decisions.'If we make the right ones well have a chance. If others want to make decisions we’ve got no chance.

article-2336502-190BC99C000005DC-162_634x516.jpg

Down: QPR endured a disappointing season on and off the pitch, with Redknapp failing to keep them adrift

article-2336502-19BE30AC000005DC-335_634x398.jpg

‘If I don’t get that I wouldn’t stick around. I’ve got to speak to Tony Fernandes and they’ve got to back me with who I want.'Redknapp must keep the majority of his highly-paid first team squad happy, but is looking to bring some talent and experience to the club too. Owner Fernandes has typically been supportive in the transfer market, but the degree to which the manager has been involved in these dealings is debatable.

'I’m not after loads of money I’m looking at a couple of free transfers. Trying to get Wayne Bridge in,' added the former Tottenham, Portsmouth and West Ham boss.'Thought he did fantastic at Brighton last year, he’d be a good left back for us, to come in, great experience, looks in great shape. He’s a player I really want to bring in on a free. So I’m hoping that’s the first deal I can do.'Tony’ s away but I’ll try speak to him today and see if we can push on and get the deal done.’

article-2336502-03E130FE00000514-946_634x405.jpg

Capture: Redknapp confirmed he is looking to bring in former England left back Wayne Bridge

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The next Portsmouth? Blackburn face losses of £40m THIS YEAR

By JACK GAUGHAN PUBLISHED: 22:32 GMT, 5 June 2013 | UPDATED: 22:32 GMT, 5 June 2013

Blackburn have been warned that they could lose up to £40m this year and that they risk following Portsmouth in tumbling down the Football League. In a report released on Wednesday, The Rovers Trust – who obtained their first stake in the club in April – revealed that the decision to operate with a Premier League budget by owners Venky’s is having a crippling effect on finances. Revenue is down by around £30m following relegation to the Championship last year. But Anuradha Desai – the woman presiding over the demise at Ewood Park – sanctioned an £8m deal for striker Jordan Rhodes last summer, as well as spending top flight wages on Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu and Leon Best.

article-2336603-1A075FD9000005DC-783_634x485.jpg

Murky waters: Blackburn Rovers' global advisor Shebby Singh has proven a divisive figure at the club

‘Our observations for 2013 are not happy reading,’ said the Trust’s finance officer Dan Grabko. ‘We expect huge losses for the club.’Bitter boardroom battles between Derek Shaw, Paul Agnew and Shebby Singh throughout the season have seen Rovers shell out £4m in compensation with departed managers Steve Kean, Henning Berg and Michael Appleton.Berg lasted just 57 days before being sacked amid power struggles and was handed £2.25m after Rovers were branded ‘out of control’ in the High Court.

article-2336603-12FE177E000005DC-921_634x478.jpg

Axed: Steve Kean was one of three managers to be sacked in recent months

'There are a lot of things at Blackburn that are not right,' Berg told Sportsmail. ‘They need to change. I knew it was a risk to take the job, but it was completely strange. 'There were things that should never happen. Problems developed as to how we were together. If it was purely a football decision I believe I would still be there.'Singh doesn’t speak to Shaw or Agnew and remains ostracised. 'I should have seen the owners face-to-face. Shebby was supposed to be the middle man,' the Norwegian added.The financial year ends on June 30 with the club’s accounts expected to reveal that Rovers are solely reliant on Venky’s keeping them afloat, while Shaw didn’ t comment on suggestions that they were haemorrhaging £2m a month.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'll take Everton to the Champions League! New boss Martinez in vow to go fourth

By JOHN EDWARDS PUBLISHED: 21:48 GMT, 5 June 2013 | UPDATED: 06:02 GMT, 6 June 2013

It may have come across as the ultimate sales pitch, but Roberto Martinez insisted he was deadly serious about gatecrashing the top four and making Everton a force in Europe. Introducing Martinez as David Moyes’s successor, chairman Bill Kenwright revealed that the Spaniard’s opening gambit when they first met had been a vow to take Everton into the Champions League. And the former Wigan boss explained why he set his sights so high and claimed he had a pedigree for delivering the unexpected.

article-2336251-1A2A3B15000005DC-179_634x472.jpg

That's handy: Roberto Martinez is officially unveiled by Everton chairman Bill Kenwright (below)

article-2336251-1A2A3AE0000005DC-672_634x340.jpg

article-2335318-1A0D8E3C000005DC-716_634x425.jpg

On the move: Martinez leaves the Landmark Hotel in London after meeting Kenwright last week

‘They are big shoes to fill here, because what David Moyes has done for Everton is incredible,’ said Martinez, who has signed a four-year deal. ‘There are six clubs at the top of the Premier League who work at a different financial level, and Everton had no right to break into that.‘It will be very difficult to get anywhere near to what he achieved, but I am excited by the challenge and I can build on what he has done.‘The Champions League is the challenge that comes with the title of being Everton manager. I feel you need to have that dream. At Swansea, I said the aim should be to get the club into the Premier League. It sounded impossible, considering we were in League One, but it happened.

article-2336251-1A2A47F2000005DC-480_634x490.jpg

Driving seat: Martinez arrives at Goodison Park ahead of his unveiling as David Moyes's replacement

article-2336251-1A2A4A95000005DC-105_634x392.jpg

'Then I went to Wigan and said we needed to get into Europe, and that will be the case next season. You have to have that dream. I have no right to see Everton in the Champions League, but with time, you can achieve anything.‘Only 14 managers have had the privilege to be at this club. That brings responsibility but also shows you are going to get time to work, and for me that is important.’ Martinez’s recruitment was made with the endorsement of new Manchester United boss Moyes.

article-2336251-1A2A5B1F000005DC-480_634x388.jpg

Dressing room: The Spaniard says Everton can break into the Champions League

article-2336251-1A2A5543000005DC-328_634x384.jpg

Kenwright said: ‘David and I talk all the time. When he spoke to me from New York last night, he said, “Tell Roberto I am here for him”. He remembered what it was like coming from Preston, and it is not dissimilar with Roberto.‘I have met some of the finest individuals in football since David left, and the finest of the lot is now manager of this club. But I still said, when we met, that I didn’t want the standards David has achieved here to slip.‘Equally, I’m not going to ask for the Champions League or top of the league without giving him the backing he needs.’

article-2335318-1A0A3644000005DC-560_634x457.jpg

End of an era: Martinez and Dave Whelan worked together at Wigan for four years

Martinez revealed he would take up the offer of a consultation with Moyes. ‘Absolutely, I will ask his advice,’ he said. ‘I would be foolish not to take that opportunity.

‘I wouldn’t be so cheeky as to do it without him offering, but I will be doing so now he has. I’ll be picking his brain on everything.’ He added: 'I know what it means to play for this club in terms of the amount of families (involved) and passion which comes across, so I understand how honoured I am to have this position.

'I can't describe it but when we (Wigan) played here in the quarter-final of the FA Cup (winning 3-0), there was a feeling that you can develop and know you belong and, funnily enough, now I can start exploring it and finding out what the fans want.

'It is very important in modern football not to lose the real values in the modern game and it is important to understand the fans, and Everton have really strong football values with an incredible passion.

'When I arrived at Goodison, I got that feeling right away. I know I can fit in quickly and feel part of it straight away.

'But it is a real privilege to walk into this dressing room and a club which has been so well run over the last few years.

'I walked into Wigan and Swansea and it was a very different type of job that I started in both clubs.'

ROBERTO MARTINEZ FACTFILE

1973 - July 13: Born Balaguer, Spain.
1993: Makes La Liga debut for Real Zaragoza.
1994: Returns to hometown club Balaguer.
1995 - July 25: Signs for Wigan on a free transfer.
August 12 - Makes scoring debut against Gillingham.
1997: Wins Division Three championship.
2001: Released by Wigan after making 227 appearances.
July - Signs for Motherwell but makes only 16 appearances before contract terminated after one season when club enters administration.
2002 - July: Signs for Walsall on a free transfer.
2003 - January: Signs for Swansea on an initial short-term contract before agreeing a longer-term deal.
2006: Leaves Swansea and joins Chester City on a two-year contract.
2007 - February 21: Plays last competitive match for Chester before returning to Swansea as manager.
2008 - April: Earns promotion to the Championship and wins League One manager of the year.
2009 - June: Celtic and Wigan make approaches to Swansea for Martinez. The latter granted permission and he becomes Latics' manager.
2010: May - Wigan avoid relegation, finishing 16th.
2011: June - Turns down approach from Aston Villa and signs new contract with Wigan.
2012: April - Wins manager of the month award on the way to guiding his side to seven wins in their final nine games to escape relegation.
May: Speaks with Liverpool about their managerial vacancy, which eventually goes to Swansea's Brendan Rodgers.
2013 - May 11: Guides Wigan to their first FA Cup final victory, beating Manchester City 1-0 at Wembley.
May 14 - 4-1 defeat at Arsenal confirms Wigan's Premier League relegation.
June 3 - Wigan owner Dave Whelan confirms he has agreed compensation with Everton for Martinez to take over at Goodison Park.
June 5 - Appointed as Everton manager on a four-year deal.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carroll to be offered hefty £100k-a-week deal to finalise star's move to West Ham

By SIMON JONES
PUBLISHED: 21:26 GMT, 5 June 2013 | UPDATED: 21:27 GMT, 5 June 2013

West Ham are poised to offer Andy Carroll a six-year contract worth £100,000 a week. Manager Sam Allardyce expects an answer from Carroll this week before the striker returns from holiday. The salary is understood to be supplemented by a pay off from Liverpool as part of the £15.5million transfer fee. Allardyce, who completed the signing of goalkeeper Adrian on a three-year contract from Real Betis, is keen for a quick answer so that he can find alternatives in case Carroll rejects the offer.

article-2336574-19EEDEF0000005DC-3_634x508.jpg

Happy? Andy Carroll will be offered a six-figure weekly wage to complete his move to West Ham

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

REVEALED: Return of the Cantona collar for Manchester United's new home kit... but will Rooney remain wearing it next season?

By GRAEME YORKE PUBLISHED: 11:37 GMT, 5 June 2013 | UPDATED: 13:05 GMT, 5 June 2013

The 'story continues' for Manchester United and this is the new home kit the Barclays Premier League champions will wear next season. As new boss David Moyes ushers in his era at Old Trafford, there is a return to the iconic look of the Nineties with an Eric Cantona-esque black collar. Despite his uncertain future, after asking now-retired manager Sir Alex Ferguson that he wanted to leave the club, Wayne Rooney plays a leading part in the launch - revealed here by Sportsmail.

article-2336208-1A290D98000005DC-313_634x396.jpg

Getting shirty: Despite his uncertain future, Wayne Rooney features in Manchester United's launch for their new home kit

With Arsenal, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain all said to be keen on the £25million-rated striker, Moyes's first task is to decide whether to sell Rooney or persuade him to stay when the pair hold showdown talks.The 27-year-old models the new strip with last season's maligned gingham 'tea towel' design is largely out. However, a tonal black and check does feature more subtly underneath the tailored collar (with three buttons akin to England's new away strip) which can be seen when upturned.

article-2336208-1A29292C000005DC-535_634x357.jpg

Moving forward: Rooney faces showdown talks at Old Trafford over his future

article-2336208-1A2929D8000005DC-348_634x440.jpg

Keeping up appearances: England midfielder Tom Cleverley models United's new kit

Kit makers Nike say the design 'celebrates the United's successes and Manchester's industrial heritage', when the check was produced in the city’s booming cotton mills in the 18th century. Inside the neck is a woven label featuring the red devil from the United club crest alongside the motto: 'Forged in Industry, Striving for Glory'. There are also two side vents on the hem of the shirt featuring the same tonal black and grey gingham check as under the collar.

article-2336208-051C23C50000044D-823_306x423.jpg
article-2336208-0002621C00000C1D-621_306x423.jpg

King of the collar: United' new shirt sees the return of the upturn design made famous by Cantona in the 90s

article-2336208-1A2928CC000005DC-869_634x422.jpg

Hot under the collar: When lifted, the gingham check black and grey design is revealed

article-2336208-1A29290C000005DC-791_306x423.jpg
article-2336208-1A292A57000005DC-429_306x423.jpg

Club and country: The new United shirt has a similar feel to the new England away strip, also made by Nike

The shorts, made from up to 13 recycled plastic water bottles produced as part of Nike’s revolutionary recycled polyester, are white with a thin black stripe on the hem. The socks are black with a white stripe between two red. The kit, which will be replaced next summer, is made of fabric weighing just 150 grams, which is integrated with Nike Dri-Fit technology to draw away sweat from the body to keep players cool and dry. It is released in the shops on Thursday (June 6) and will retail at £55.

article-2336208-19C32558000005DC-236_634x434.jpg

Story continues: Defending champions Manchester United will bid to win the title for the 21st time this season

article-2336208-19C6F87E000005DC-806_634x378.jpg

All smiles: David Moyes is the new man in charge at Old Trafford

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

286880_thumb.jpg

Liverpool heading in the right direction, insists Allen
The midfielder believes that Brendan Rodgers's playing philosophy has helped him adapt in his first season on Merseyside after following the former Swansea City boss to Anfield

284578_thumb.jpg

Torres understands Suarez desire to quit Liverpool over criticism from English media
The Reds star has explained his unhappiness at being the subject of excessive attention from reporters and the often-criticised Chelsea striker offers his sympathy

238593_thumb.jpg

Revealed: Rooney holds secret talks with two mystery clubs
The Manchester United star met with a Premier League side on one morning before flying overseas for talks with a continental superpower in the afternoon

265482_thumb.jpg

Manchester City agree deal for 'next Ibrahimovic' Zacharias Faour
The Premier League runners-up have identified a six-strong transfer hitlist this summer but have also moved to strengthen their youth ranks with the capture of the 15-year-old

99720_thumb.jpg

Silva delighted by Navas' decision to join Manchester City
The 27-year-old midfielder expressed his excitement at the prospect of playing alongside his Spain international team-mate after the former Sevilla winger completed his Etihad move

262490_thumb.jpg

Reina: I hope Suarez stays at Liverpool
The Spanish goalkeeper said that he would understand if the Uruguayan departed Anfield but remains optimistic he could yet decide to stay

286442_thumb.jpg

Manchester United confirm Guillermo Varela signing
The promising defender seals a permanent switch to Old Trafford following a successful trial last season, completing his medical on Friday before linking up with Uruguay Under-20s

224213_thumb.jpg

Tottenham keeper Lloris looks to improve in second season
The France No.1 believes that the experience of adapting to England and displacing Brad Friedel will set him up to do even better in the north Londoners' 2013-14 campaign

281782_thumb.jpg

Liverpool could wait three years for Champions League football, says Ayre
The club's managing director urges fans to be patience in their bid for a return to Europe's biggest club competition, with time still needed to rebuild Brendan Rodgers's side

224916_thumb.jpg

Arshavin, Benayoun and Gallas head list of released Premier League players
After losing his spot in the Arsenal first team, the Russian is let go for nothing after costing £15 million in 2009, with Roque Santa Cruz and David Bentley other notable exits

285204_thumb.jpg

Cabaye will review future after admitting Manchester United interest
The Newcastle midfielder will review his options during the summer break as, though unaware of any reciprocation, he is keen on the idea of joining the Red Devils

284318_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini flies in to Manchester to sign on as new City manager
The Chilean, who has managed Villarreal, Real Madrid and Malaga, will arrive in the north-west this weekend before taking a tour of the club's training ground on Monday

219155_thumb.jpg

Liverpool hope to submit planning application to redevelop Anfield this summer
Having announced that they would not build a new stadium in Stanley Park in October, the Reds are now attempting to acquire the property around the stadium that would be affected

227865_thumb.jpg

Marseille an attractive alternative to Tottenham, claims Damiao’s agent
The 23-year-old has long been admired by the north London club but the player’s representative, Vinicius Prates, claims nothing has been agreed and the French club are an option

266311_thumb.jpg

'If I said there was no contact, I'd be lying' - Hulk fuels Chelsea speculation
The Brazilian, who only joined current club Zenit in 2012, has been touted to move to Stamford Bridge but says he is focused on the Confederations Cup

279547_thumb.jpg

My relationship with Mancini did not deteriorate, insists Kompany
The Manchester City captain has denied suggestions a grudge developed between player and coach despite the Italian's anger at his appearance for Belgium shortly after injury

285590_thumb.jpg

Mourinho warns Chelsea stars not to rely on status
The returning Blues boss insists his title-winning captain isn't assured of a place in his first team and says he will pick his best players without considering status or the past

279878_thumb.jpg

Arsenal can afford Rooney, hints Gazidis
The Gunners honcho has revealed that the north London club are in a strong financial position to sign the Manchester United forward, who has asked to leave Old Trafford

286146_thumb.jpg

Everton chairman Kenwright warns Moyes off Baines move
The Toffees chief has played down the left-back's chances of reuniting with the Scot at Manchester United, while new boss Roberto Martinez was full of praise for the 28-year-old

266339_thumb.jpg

'We will never get tired of being the best' - Monreal
The Arsenal defender believes la Roja have the hunger to add another international title to their trophy cabinet later this month by going all the way in South America

272683_thumb.jpg

Arsenal launch stunning €26m Fellaini bid
The north London club have moved swiftly to activate the release clause in the Belgium international's contract and hope to wrap up a deal for the 25-year-old in the coming weeks

273473_thumb.jpg

Swansea finalise Canas signing from Real Betis
The midfielder has finalised personal terms for his free transfer summer move to the Liberty Stadium, and will become the fifth Spanish member of the squad

280105_thumb.jpg

Chelsea want Cavani, says Napoli chairman De Laurentiis
The Uruguay international, who is also a target for Manchester City, is on the radar of the west London club, with the owner also confirming an approach for Andre Villas-Boas

220424_thumb.jpg

Lens sets sights on Premier League move
The PSV striker is preparing to leave his home country after establishing himself in the Eredivisie, and favours a move to England after turning down Southampton last summer

127182_thumb.jpg

Manchester City sign Fernandinho from Shakhtar Donetsk
The Brazil international was unveiled at the Etihad Stadium after completing a £34 million move from the Ukrainian champions, becoming the second summer signing after Jesus Navas

279772_thumb.jpg

Liverpool hope Sturridge will be fit for start of season
The striker was stretchered from the field during England's 1-1 draw with the Republic of Ireland on May 29, and will now miss most of the club's pre-season preparations

224916_thumb.jpg

Arshavin's agent reveals options following Arsenal departure
The winger will be leaving the Gunners at the end of June when his contract expires, but is attracting interest from numerous top European clubs, according to his representative

281821_thumb.jpg

Wenger will remain at Arsenal 'for the long term', says Gazidis
The chief executive was coy on whether the manager has already been offered an extension to his deal, but is confident that he will remain at the Emirates Stadium past 2014

275422_thumb.jpg

Bale happy playing under Villas-Boas at Tottenham
The Welshman credits the Portuguese for helping him to blossom into one of Europe's most sought-after stars in the past year

281844_thumb.jpg

Jackson Martinez wants Porto stay despite Tottenham links - agent
Reports this week claimed that Spurs had launched a bid worth as much as €30 million for the Colombian after his spectacular debut season in the Portuguese top flight

262577_thumb.jpg

Tottenham in fresh Damiao talks as Baldini arrives as technical director
The former England assistant left Roma on Wednesday and is now set to land at White Hart Lane as the north London club look to strengthen up front by capturing the Brazil forward

284290_thumb.jpg

Van Persie relishing challenge of life after Fergie
The Manchester United striker has admitted he wishes he could have played under the Scottish coach for longer but is confident of success under new boss David Moyes

278403_thumb.jpg

Agent backs Chadli for Premier League switch
The Belgian's representative has revealed that a number of big clubs are chasing his client's signature and admitted that he expected interest from the English top flight

268245_thumb.jpg

Voller denies Schurrle to Chelsea deal is done
The Bayer Leverkusen sporting director admits talks are ongoing and that Chelsea remain interested in the forward, but says no agreement has yet been reached

275812_thumb.jpg

Robben an example to follow, says Van Persie
The former Arsenal forward has singled out his fellow Netherlands international as an example of how fast things can change in football

279757_thumb.jpg

Moyes acknowledges need to win over Manchester United players
Speaking at an exclusive coaching conference in New York, the new Red Devils boss revealed how he plans to manage and gain the respect of the Old Trafford dressing room

257455_thumb.jpg

Hazard eager to link up with Mourinho
The Belgium international described the returning Portuguese manager as “special”, while he also admitted he would like to add more goals to his game next season

284442_thumb.jpg

Liverpool set to join race for €8.2 million Tevez
The Anfield club are already making contingency plans in the event that Luis Suarez leaves this summer and have added the Manchester City striker to their wish list

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

284989_thumb.jpg

'He has got what most managers don't have' - Essien hails returning Chelsea boss Mourinho
The Ghanaian played under the Portuguese for two full seasons at Stamford Bridge and a year-long loan spell at Real Madrid, and believes he "gives everything" for his players

271802_thumb.jpg

Reina not seeking Liverpool exit, insists agent
The goalkeeper has been linked with both a move to Barcelona and a reunion with former Reds boss Rafael Benitez at Napoli this summer

257842_thumb.jpg

De Bruyne & Lukaku to stay at Chelsea, says Mourinho
The Belgian duo spent last season out on loan but the 50-year-old believes both players are ready to compete for a first-team place at Stamford Bridge next season

270964_thumb.jpg

'It strokes my ego' - Alderweireld flattered by Liverpool interest
The Belgium international has invited interest from abroad and revealed that although he favours a move to an established club, Champions League football is not essential

222371_thumb.jpg

Suarez has been unfairly judged, says Cavani
The Napoli striker feels the Liverpool man has had a tough time in England and says he does not know if he will stay on Merseyside

287628_thumb.jpg

'I damaged Spanish football by ending Barca's dominance' - Mourinho
The 50-year-old was recently accused of tainting the image of La Liga but and he has now claimed that he was made a victim for toppling the Blaugrana

274359_thumb.jpg

United ready for new era under Moyes, says Van Persie
The Netherlands striker is looking forward to a fresh chapter at the club under the former Everton manager and says he expects new talent to arrive and some to leave

285590_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: I am the Happy One
The Portuguese has been officially unveiled at Stamford Bridge for a second spell at the west London outfit, describing himself as "very happy" at a club he already loves

277956_thumb.jpg

Cavani: I will discuss my future after Confeds
The Napoli forward has discussed speculation about his next move and insists he is only currently focusing on upcoming matches with Uruguay

285590_thumb.jpg

Mourinho will bring titles to Chelsea, says Malouda
The 32-year-old, who was released by the club earlier in June, maintains the Portuguese's Premier League experience will give him an advantage ahead of the new season

287118_thumb.jpg

El Shaarawy targets Milan stay amid Manchester City links
The promising forward has ruled out a summer transfer amid suggestions that he could be on the move, while Adriano Galliani has stressed the youngster is not for sale

286777_thumb.jpg

Lewandowski could leave Dortmund for another club other than Bayern, reveals Watzke
The Champions League finalists will not sell their star attacker to their domestic rivals, but could still cash in on him if their valuation of the player is met

286333_thumb.jpg

Galliani hints at Milan move for Tevez
The Argentine attacker has set his sights on a summer exit and could be plying his trade in Serie A in the 2013-14 campaign

261006_thumb.jpg

Modric determined to remain at Real Madrid
The former Tottenham midfielder, who joined los Blancos last season, wants to establish himself at the Santiago Bernabeu, while he also praised former boss Jose Mourinho

262475_thumb.jpg

Galatasaray give up on Nani after Manchester United reject €7m bid
The Portuguese winger is thought to be available this summer after a disappointing season, but the Turkish giants have balked at the €10m fee the Red Devils are demanding

278209_thumb.jpg

Mourinho return 'smells like gold' to former Chelsea striker Tore Andre Flo
The Norwegian, who works for the Stamford Bridge club's academy, believes the Special One can get the best out of senior players, and is excited by the prospect of a new forward

283733_thumb.jpg

Van Ginkel flattered by Chelsea interest
The Dutch youngster is remaining coy on his future but hints that he would be interested in a move to Stamford Bridge this summer

264187_thumb.jpg

Rooney leaving United would be a huge disappointment, says Yorke
The former Red Devils forward admits the 27-year-old had a difficult season, but believes it is in his best interests to stay at Old Trafford

231399_thumb.jpg

Okore rejected move to Chelsea
The 20-year-old Denmark international saw his club reject a bid from Fulham back in January and has been heavily linked with the Red Devils but is biding his time before leaving

274007_thumb.jpg

Liverpool must keep 'world class' Suarez, says Fowler
The Reds legend believes that the Uruguyan was the Premier League's best player last season, and says the club have to do everything to keep him

248201_thumb.jpg

Lloris rejects talk of Monaco move
The France No.1 says he left Ligue 1 to give himself a new challenge, while his roots at hometown club Nice would make a move to the Stade Louis II difficult to accept

129498_thumb.jpg

Malouda ponders Premier League stay
The midfielder says he is enjoying his holidays at the moment and will be discussing offers from England, France, Brazil and the Gulf with his agent ahead of next season

285458_thumb.jpg

Rooney would be a 'quality addition' to Paris Saint-Germain, says Thiago Silva
Following news the striker has held talks with two clubs ahead of next season, the Brazil captain would welcome the wantaway Manchester United forward at the Ligue 1 champions

286190_thumb.jpg

Henderson 'devastated' by England's early Euros exit
The Liverpool midfielder admitted his side had not performed well enough during the tournament and is bitterly disappointed to be leaving Israel so soon

285457_thumb.jpg

Setbacks have made me a better player, says Arsenal winger Oxlade-Chamberlain
The 19-year-old featured sparingly for the Gunners last season, but the youngster says he has learnt a lot from his time spent on the bench and is eagerly awaiting the new season

279378_thumb.jpg

Chelsea and Mourinho want to keep De Bruyne, says Bayer Leverkusen general manager
The 21-year-old had been expected to make a permanent move to Germany as part of a deal to sign Andre Schurrle, but the Blues hope the Belgian will remain at Stamford Bridge

286817_thumb.jpg

Everton boss Martinez not planning talks with Fellaini amid Arsenal interest
The new Toffees boss is confident of keeping the 25-year-old at Goodison Park, despite the Gunners launching a move to sign the combative midfielder this summer

282051_thumb.jpg

Courtois indicates he will rejoin Atletico on loan
The Belgium international told a national team press conference that he will return to Madrid for a third successive year while he waits to become Chelsea's No.1

262475_thumb.jpg

Nani admits his Manchester United future is uncertain
The Portugal winger says he will make a decision "in the next few days" whether he will stay at Old Trafford or leave the club he joined in 2007

281894_thumb.jpg

Dembele hoping Bale will stay at Tottenham
The Belgium international believes the club must keep their "best player" in order to improve on last season's fifth-placed finish and qualify for the Champions League

216443_thumb.jpg

I chose Liverpool over other clubs, says Aspas
The striker claims he barely considered offers from elsewhere once he discovered the Reds were interested in him ahead of a €8 million move from Celta Vigo

218220_thumb.jpg

De Bruyne has not discussed Chelsea future with Mourinho
The Belgium international admits he is yet to hold talks with new Blues boss but insists he wants to play regular football and does not want to sit on the bench

260458_thumb.jpg

Coutinho can fire Liverpool into Champions League, says Enrique
The Spaniard believes his Brazilian team-mate can help the Reds finish in the top four of the Premier League next season after impressing since his move to Anfield

275550_thumb.jpg

Liverpool can still attract star players, insists Ayre
Brendan Rodgers's men are without European football after finishing seventh last term but the club's managing director is certain that recruitment will not be affected

281814_thumb.jpg

Torres reiterates desire to stay at Chelsea
The 29-year-old striker says that the return of former manager Jose Mourinho is "good news" for the Blues and insists he wants to remain at Stamford Bridge

238130_thumb.jpg

Veron: Higuain or Tevez could make the difference for Juventus
The former Argentina international feels both of his compatriots could help the Serie A giants close the gap with the European top

262044_thumb.jpg

Lukaku hints at Chelsea stay
The Belgium international, who scored 17 Premier League goals on loan at West Brom in 2012-13, indicates that he has a place in Jose Mourinho's squad next season

286852_thumb.jpg

I've not decided my future, says Grenier
The Olympique Lyonnais ace claimed in May that a decision had already been made following Arsenal interest but now says he will consider later

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zidane hints Madrid are prepared to smash world transfer record to sign £85m Bale

By JOHN DRAYTON
PUBLISHED: 21:04 GMT, 9 June 2013 | UPDATED: 08:03 GMT, 10 June 2013

Zinedine Zidane has admitted Real Madrid will have to break the world transfer record to sign Gareth Bale. The Tottenham winger has been heavily linked with a move to the Spanish capital with Madrid reportedly lining up a bid of £85million. That would smash the £80m they paid Manchester United for Cristiano Ronaldo four years ago.

article-2338595-1A05977B000005DC-858_634x447.jpg

Target: Tottenham winger Gareth Bale is on Real Madrid's radar and could cost £85million

'The talk about Gareth Bale is not a surprise,' said Madrid sporting director Zidane. 'It is impossible to have the season he just had and not be linked with the biggest clubs in Europe. 'If any club is going to tempt Spurs, then it will take big money – maybe even record-breaking money.'There are four or five clubs at the moment who have the finances not to be put off by a record-breaking fee like that.'

article-2338595-1A3B2201000005DC-819_634x451.jpg

Man with the plan: Zinedine Zidane (centre) admits it will take a big bid to sign Bale this summer

The astronomical fee would be almost impossible for Spurs to refuse with Bernabeu chief Florentino Perez pinpointing Bale as his prime target. Bale could be taken to Madrid to replace Ronaldo ,who has been linked with a move back to Old Trafford. Meanwhile, Juventus officials held talks with Madrid over Gonzalo Higuain on Sunday. The Italians are eager to beat Arsenal to the £20m signing of the Argentina striker but have been told a deal must wait until Carlo Ancelotti is appointed coach.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The men behind 'The Special One': As Mourinho prepares for his second spell in charge of Chelsea, meet his coaching team

By DAVID KENT
PUBLISHED: 16:15 GMT, 10 June 2013 | UPDATED: 17:15 GMT, 10 June 2013

Jose Mourinho was officially unveiled as Chelsea's manager for the second time on Monday after returning to Stamford Bridge.In attendance at the press conference were his team of backroom staff, but who are they?

article-2338993-1A3ED56C000005DC-512_964x763.jpg

In attendance: From left to right, Rui Faria, Silvino Louro, Jose Morais, Steve Holland and Gary Staker at Jose Mourinho's press conference on Monday

MOURINHO IS BACK

Watch Jose Mourinho's first press conference on his return to Chelsea HERE

1. RUI FARIA

Faria is a fitness specialist who has worked with Mourinho for many years.After meeting Faria at Barcelona, Mourinho asked him to be a fitness coach when he accepted the manager's job at Uniao de Leiria in Portugal.Faria worked with Mourinho at Porto, during his first spell at Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

2. SILVINO LOURO

Louro is a highly-experienced goalkeeping coach who has been part of Mourinho's staff since their spell at Porto.
Louro has also worked with the Portuguese national team goalkeepers. He played a big part in Petr Cech's rise to the top.

3. JOSE MORAIS

Morais is the only new member of Mourinho's coaching staff who has not worked at Chelsea before. He first worked with Mourinho for a season at Porto before linking up with the Portuguese manager again at Inter Milan.
Morais then spent three years with Mourinho at Real Madrid before agreeing to join him at Chelsea.

4. STEVE HOLLAND

Holland guided Chelsea's reserve team to becoming national champions in 2011 before stepping up to work with the senior squad. He first worked under Andre Villas-Boas and then Roberto Di Matteo.
Before joining Chelsea in 2009, Holland had spent five months as Stoke's academy director.

5. GARY STAKER

Staker is a player liaison officer at Chelsea
He was once employed as a tunnel steward before working his way in when Claudio Ranieri was manager because he could speak Italian.

P.S. Remember this?

Mourinho's coaching staff when he was first unveiled as Chelsea manager in 2004.

article-2338993-0CA57AF000000578-917_964x586.jpg

Fresh faced: From left to right, fitness coach Rui Faria, Jose Mourinho, scout Andre Villas-Boas, goalkeeping coach Silvino Louro and assistant managers Steve Clarke and Baltemar Brito when Mourinho was first unveiled as Chelsea manager in 2004. Villas-Boas went on to manage Chelsea but was axed within one season.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

277601_thumb.jpg

Rodgers confident of Liverpool top-four finish
The Reds boss believes that with a few additions to his squad, the Merseysiders can mount a serious challenge to the teams chasing Champions League qualification

287656_thumb.jpg

Galliani refuses to rule out El Shaarawy exit
The AC Milan CEO says the young forward is the subject of plenty of interest but denies the club are in negotiations to sign Carlos Tevez

287660_thumb.jpg

Premier League has become more competitive, claims Mourinho
The 50-year-old believes the battle for the title is fiercer than when he last managed in England, with six sides, including his own, all vying for top spot next season

287125_thumb.jpg

Jesus Navas completes Manchester City move
The Spain international's transfer from Sevilla has been officially confirmed by the defeated FA Cup finalists, becoming the club's second signing of the summer after Fernandinho

287844_thumb.jpg

Van Persie: Team comes before records
The Netherlands striker went third in Oranje's all-time scorers list but insists that he is only focused on winning matches as a collective

284593_thumb.jpg

Suarez reiterates Real Madrid desire
The Uruguayan has grown disillusioned with life in the Premier League following a string of controversies and would welcome a summer move to the Santiago Bernabeu

287644_thumb.jpg

Arsenal make Higuain enquiry
Arsene Wenger has made a move for Real Madrid striker but he could be priced out of reach, while Gunners are still on course to capture Everton's star man

279944_thumb.jpg

Kagawa hoping to emulate Rooney and Van Persie
The former BVB man wants to boost his confidence and become an influential figure at Man United after a successful but unspectacular first year in England

175931_thumb.jpg

Mido announces retirement
The former Egypt forward, who had spells with the likes of Tottenham and Ajax, confirmed on Twitter that he will call it a day 14 years after making his debut

280105_thumb.jpg

Napoli reject Chelsea's €40m-plus-Torres bid for Cavani
The Serie A club are holding out for a fee close to the Uruguayan's €63m release clause, with Real Madrid ready to enter the race for the highly coveted striker

281808_thumb.jpg

Florentino Perez hints at future Real Madrid bid for Bale
The Spanish side's president says that the club are willing to fund a big-money move for the Wales forward but must first wait for a new coach to be installed

284430_thumb.jpg

Van Gaal: I would like Sneijder at Chelsea
The Holland boss sees nothing but positives if the midfielder were to change clubs, while Robin van Persie revealed he has spoken to him regarding the national team captaincy

285021_thumb.jpg

Barcelona vice-president admits Fabregas could leave
The Spain international has recently been linked with a return to the Premier League and the Blaugrana will not keep him at the club against his will

285021_thumb.jpg

Fabregas is Manchester United's top target, claims club legend Irwin
The former Ireland international reveals that the Premier League champions want the unsettled Barcelona star "badly" and will "move heaven and earth" to get him this summer

287660_thumb.jpg

'I am where I want to be' - Mourinho always wanted Chelsea return
The Portuguese was heavily linked with the managerial roles at both Manchester clubs but insists that he was not snubbed because Stamford Bridge was the only destination for him

278951_thumb.jpg

Carroll won't get games at Liverpool, claims Fowler
The former Reds star says that the 24-year-old would struggle to earn playing time at Anfield under Brendan Rodgers if he decides to stay at the club following his West Ham loan

192301_thumb.jpg

Messi has proven to Neymar that size doesn't matter, says Michael Laudrup
The ex-Barcelona hero has rejected claims that the Brazilian could struggle at his new club due to his small frame

271778_thumb.jpg

Buck stops with Wenger as Arsenal board pledge to spend big
The Frenchman has vast sums at his disposal and he must use them fully and wisely as the Gunners aim to bridge the gap to the Premier League's top three

287626_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Rooney is like me and should do what makes him happy
The striker has attempted to leave Old Trafford but the Portuguese would not be drawn on whether or not he will move for the England international

265340_thumb.jpg

Suarez would relish Ronaldo link up
The Uruguayan has repeatedly hinted he would like to leave Anfield this summer in recent weeks, and has now suggested Santiago Bernabeu is his ideal destination

283918_thumb.jpg

Skrtel agent set for Liverpool talks amid Napoli interest
The Slovakia international has been linked with a reunion with the man who brought him to Anfield at San Paolo, and his agent admits his client will consider any offers

281794_thumb.jpg

Wenger not scared of spending money, insists Arsenal chief executive Gazidis
The Gunners have interest in Wayne Rooney, Stevan Jovetic and Marouane Fellaini this summer, and it is believed that the French manager is ready to part with the club's cash

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes set to lay out transfer plan to Manchester United CEO Woodward

David Moyes will discuss Manchester United's transfer targets

Jun 11, 2013 11:16:00 AM

278774_heroa.jpg

The 50-year-old will sit down with the Red Devils' former vice-chairman for the first time after his holidays, with the futures of Wayne Rooney and Nani on the agenda

By Paul Clennam

Manchester United manager David Moyes is due to return from his holidays later this week and will waste no time in laying out his transfer plans with incoming club CEO Ed Woodward, Goal understands.

Moyes began work at Carrington on May 20 despite an official start date of July 1 and United staff are already in place to ensure that the Scot can hit the ground running upon his return.

Woodward has been in a handover process with predecessor David Gill in recent weeks and will meet Moyes for the first time as United look to make progress in the summer transfer market.

The situation regarding Wayne Rooney and Nani will feature prominently in talks between the two, with both men linked to summer exits.

Goal exclusively revealed on Saturday how Rooney has held secret talks with two suitors, with Arsenal well in the frame for the striker, while Galatasaray president Unal Aysal has claimed that United want £8.5 million for Nani.

Also on the agenda will be transfer targets and budget. Barcelona midfielder Thiago is in United's sights but the club's vast outlay on Robin van Persie last summer will limit their spending this time around.

The working relationship between Sir Alex Ferguson and Gill was a key part in the Red Devils' recent success and much will depend on how Moyes and Woodward interact.

And whereas Gill did much of his work at Carrington, Woodward will largely remain in his Mayfair office in London.

Moyes has already made his mark at Carrington, with loyal servants to Ferguson such as assistant manager Mike Phelan and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele having been shown the door. The 50-year-old is also keen to get involved in training sessions, as revealed in Sunday's Sweeper.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PSG want AVB! Tottenham on alert as French champions plan raid for manager

By SIMON JONES
PUBLISHED: 20:34 GMT, 11 June 2013 | UPDATED: 21:23 GMT, 11 June 2013

Paris Saint-Germain want Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas to replace Carlo Ancelotti as their new boss. Villas-Boas has emerged as the prime candidate after a series of discussions between PSG president Nasser El-Khelaifi and his advisers. The 35-year-old Spurs coach earned recognition last season for the way he rebuilt his reputation after an ill-fated spell at Chelsea.

article-2339768-19274212000005DC-785_634x451.jpg

Wanted man: PSG are preparing to make their move for the Tottenham boss this summer

Qatar-backed PSG are one of the richest clubs in the world, and have the finances and transfer funds to attract a top manager. The club’s owners believe Villas-Boas has the tactical acumen to take their club to another level should Ancelotti, as expected, move to Real Madrid. Although Tottenham failed by one point to clinch a Champions League place, their record Premier League points total, their pleasing style of play, and the development of Gareth Bale have made Europe’s elite take notice.

The Portuguese, who is still the youngest coach to win a European title from his time at Porto, has been mentioned at Real Madrid and Napoli as they sifted through contenders for their own management positions.
Bale, too, has lauded the manager's influence on his progression this season. Villas-Boas was understood to be frustrated that he could not bring in some of his desired transfer targets last summer and in January, notably being left short on options in attack. Work is well under way to attract the high-calibre players he wants and offload those he doesn’t, with Tottenham also ready to bring in Franco Baldini as technical director to aid recruitment.

article-2339768-0E727C3200000578-818_306x423.jpg
article-2339768-033AB6CA00000514-996_306x423.jpg

Reputation rebuilt: Spurs boss AVB is wanted to replace outgoing boss Ancelotti

Chairman Daniel Levy will be reluctant to lose Villas-Boas and is understood to have a substantial release clause on a man who still has two years left on contract, with a figure of around £10m mooted. However, that should not pose a problem for PSG’s wealthy owners. Should Villas-Boas depart, it is sure to have a significant bearing on whether Bale stays at White Hart Lane with Real Madrid poised to bid.

article-2339768-184AC5F1000005DC-730_634x431.jpg

Bale factor: The Portuguese's potential departure could have wide ramifications for Spurs

article-2339768-184EE099000005DC-829_634x442.jpg

Bale said: ‘He has helped me in all aspects of my game. He is a young manager and he has got a great past at Porto. Maybe not so much at Chelsea but given time, like he has been this season, he has shown what a good manager he is. It has been a very exciting time for the club.’Meanwhile, Tottenham are keen on Belgium international Radja Nainggolan. The 25-year-old Cagliari midfielder is valued at £10m and was tracked by Southampton, Napoli, Inter Milan and Roma last season.