• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

‘We Don’t Say “Back Home” Anymore’: On the Long-Term Expat Life in Singapore

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-272B-320

overheard :

~ "Sadly it's usually the foreigners who appreciate Singapore more."

~ "i got to agree somewhat. Now that i'm working overseas, i appreciate sg even more.
btw. my bus fare just got raised from 6 to 8 hkd - freaking 33% !@#$ increase. nobody make much noise here. but when fares increased by less than 5% in sg, people think its the end of the world.
"
~ " It's not only the foreigners who appreciate Singapore, but also those Singaporeans who have lived, worked & ran businesses abroad, and have lived through enough abject conditions to appreciate Singapore.

Those who don't are either shallow or chronically unappreciative (regardless of how much they already have) or both."

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

overheard :

~ "i got to agree somewhat. Now that i'm working overseas, i appreciate sg even more.
btw. my bus fare just got raised from 6 to 8 hkd - freaking 33% !@#$ increase. nobody make much noise here. but when fares increased by less than 5% in sg, people think its the end of the world.
"
~ " It's not only the foreigners who appreciate Singapore, but also those Singaporeans who have lived, worked & ran businesses abroad, and have lived through enough abject conditions to appreciate Singapore.

Those who don't are either shallow or chronically unappreciative (regardless of how much they already have) or both."

How many of the 2.9 million foreigners will stay forever? They are here to leech on us. It is traitors like you that made it possible.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I remember overhearing 2 angmos discussing whether it was worth it to take up Spore PR. Basically the discussion was not about appreciating Spore but more about convenience.

The company lawyer was an Aussie & he was not thrilled about being posted to Spore because he hated the humid weather, missed Australian football & disliked the oppressive environment.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Absence make the heart fonder. When they get back and after a few weeks, they will start to fuck this and fuck that. This is how toxic this country and it's government are. Trust me, this is an observable phenomenon.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
How many of the 2.9 million foreigners will stay forever? They are here to leech on us. It is traitors like you that made it possible.

Yeah it is very simple flawed logic. Foreigners are in Spore for short term and will surely appreciate Spore since it is just temporary stay. Especially it allows them to make money at a few times the home currency rate.

Those foreigners from more backward countries will appreciate Spore as they find Spore more modern and nice buildings/environment compared to where they come from. For example, no MRT in their home country vs MRT in Spore. So in spite of the MRT breakdowns, they will say Spore MRT is very good and much better than their public transport back home. But they conveniently forget they don't need public transport back home as they have cheap cars.

And those foreigners from more advanced countries will also appreciate Spore since it is a different experience and a life adventure for a limited period. They have no complaints of the expensive cars as they don't mind forgoing the use of cars for a short period of their life. Besides, if they are expats and renting apartments in town, taxi rides are not expensive compared to taking a taxi from HDB estates located at far end of the island and going to town to work.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember overhearing 2 angmos discussing whether it was worth it to take up Spore PR. Basically the discussion was not about appreciating Spore but more about convenience.

The company lawyer was an Aussie & he was not thrilled about being posted to Spore because he hated the humid weather, missed Australian football & disliked the oppressive environment.

I heard 2 angmos talking in airport queue last time. Essentially they said Spore is a nice place for short stay but too small a place to stay permanent.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those foreigners from more backward countries will appreciate Spore as they find Spore more modern and nice buildings/environment compared to where they come from. For example, no MRT in their home country vs MRT in Spore. So in spite of the MRT breakdowns, they will say Spore MRT is very good and much better than their public transport back home. But they conveniently forget they don't need public transport back home as they have cheap cars.

"cheap car" is no magic bullet for transport in busy urban corridors. even in suburban gridlock like in los angeles and sf bay area, commuters will gladly keep their cars in the garage and hop on public transport, if it is convenient, affordable, and readily available at every other major junction. the problem with public transport, especially mass rapid transit systems, in the u.s. is the high cost, lack of funding, divided politics, lack of political will, union labor, environmental concerns, long duration in design and implementation, extremely expensive ticket pricing.

for example, more than 400k passengers ride bart daily in and out of sf and oakland because there are few choices, even though majority of riders have cars at home. parking is impossible in sf and oakland without monthly reservations in private garages, congestion requires hours to navigate in and out cities, and both cities are bus-, pedestrian- and bike-friendly, leaving little room on roads for cars.

if the entire bay area has a transit system such as sg's mrt, where lines cover almost all corners of the island, stations are numerous, multiple transfer points provide route redundancy, fares are relatively low, wait intervals are short, trains are clean, stations are safe, spacious and shiny, the ridership total in the bay area will double in no time. and more cars will be left in home garages for 5 days a week.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"cheap car" is no magic bullet for transport in busy urban corridors................................

Sporeans are angry because of the greed of the PAP. They are not satisfied with a population of only 3+ million. So how many more millions do they want 5, 6, 7,... million more foreigners:confused:

They tell the "lesser mortal" to moderate their expectations but for the PAP it is OK to demand $$$, enjoy an iron rice bowl, ....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nothing about SPGs?
They are a big pull factor

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've mingled with enough ang mohs to know what they think of Singapore. When they talk about Singapore, it's usually with a mix of admiration and derision. How much of each depends on who they're speaking with: they grouse more with their own kind, but are more diplomatic when talking to a local.

Generally (there are exceptions of course), the things they like and dislike about S'pore are (not in any specific order):

1. Expat pay package and perks. Used to be the #1 pull factor, but now only confined to head honchos and top management.
2. SPGs (men)
3. Efficient government services, less red tape – "everything works"
4. Tax avoidance loopholes aplenty
5. Some of the world's best beaches a hop away
6. Weather (the sun)*

Dislike
1. Oppressive environment – the ban on chewing gum and graffiti are grist for their tired jokes
2. SPGs (women)
3. High cost of living, including transport
4. Lack of the big outdoors
5. Weather (humidity)

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"

Lightning brigade excel in using liars
To smoke and deceive gullible Sinkies
Never encountered such fare hikes before
On other hand few years ago upon
Implementation of can rise can fall
Pricing mechanism was pleasantly surprised
After toot Octopus deduct less than usual
For short routes on Hong Kong island itself
Especially those in affluent Mid Levels
Many fares have remain unchanged
For at least ten years and more
How I know 'cos I have outdated
Bus guide and was visiting Fragrant Harbour
On business trip and go old places to look see
Fare hikes are lower than inflation and wage raises
Despite fact that bus company is making losses

KMB fares to rise 3.9%
June 10, 2014
The Executive Council has approved a 3.9% fare increase for Kowloon Motor Bus from July 6.
Secretary for Transport & Housing Prof Anthony Cheung announced the decision today, saying the council has considered a wide range of factors, including operating costs and revenue, public acceptability and affordability, service quality, and the outcome of a formula for a supportable fare adjustment rate under the Fare Adjustment Arrangement.
He said the increase is lower than the 4.3% suggested by KMB. It is also lower than the inflation rate of 4.65%, as well as the change in Median Monthly Household Income of 4.55% since KMB’s last fare increase.
Noting the KMB’s deficits of $43 million in 2012 and $12.4 million in 2013, he said the fare increase will enable the company to run on a financially and economically sustainable basis.

The Government also considered the operator's service performance, noting the Transport Department will continue to monitor KMB's efforts to enhance services.
The department and KMB will cut low-utilisation bus routes and redeploy resources from duplicated bus routes to those with keen demand to reduce wastage, he added.

Video of HK Minister announcing fare increase is available at below link:

http://www.news.gov.hk/en/categories/infrastructure/html/2014/06/20140610_125156.shtml

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lightning brigade excel in using liars
To smoke and deceive gullible Sinkies
Never encountered such fare hikes before
On other hand few years ago upon
Implementation of can rise can fall
Pricing mechanism was pleasantly surprised
After toot Octopus deduct less than usual
For short routes on Hong Kong island itself
Especially those in affluent Mid Levels
Many fares have remain unchanged
For at least ten years and more
How I know 'cos I have outdated
Bus guide and was visiting Fragrant Harbour
On business trip and go old places to look see
Fare hikes are lower than inflation and wage raises
Despite fact that bus company is making losses

Video of HK Minister announcing fare increase is available at below link:

http://www.news.gov.hk/en/categories/infrastructure/html/2014/06/20140610_125156.shtml

Silly Hongkie fanboy. So many foreigners here on our shores using public transport. What better way to rip them off than by charging high for essential services? How else will the state pay for our astronomical stipends and fat bonuses?

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
Silly Hongkie fanboy. So many foreigners here on our shores using public transport. What better way to rip them off than by charging high for essential services? How else will the state pay for our astronomical stipends and fat bonuses?

what logic is that ?
got 1000 foreigners here and u up prices
telling sillypootians u are ripping them off
but actually those got ripped off are the 100000 sillypootians.
don't bluff here lah.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
what logic is that ?
got 1000 foreigners here and u up prices
telling sillypootians u are ripping them off
but actually those got ripped off are the 100000 sillypootians.
don't bluff here lah.

Of course we cannot let them know we are ripping them off, that's why sinkies pay the same price too, to be fair. It is the same reason why we ban alcohol consumption in public places for everyone after 10.30pm, to be fair. The PAP government must be fair, otherwise foreigners will think less of the country and leave, bringing the good jobs created for singaporeans with them. Is that what you want? To sabo us hardworking servants of the people so we cannot bring our children go skiing in winter? How cruel you are!

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.......... So many foreigners here on our shores using public transport. What better way to rip them off than by charging high for essential services? How else will the state pay for our astronomical stipends and fat bonuses?

Hongkies are better at ripping off foreigners
Than StewPIG incompetent Sinkie Gahbrament
Discovery Bay full of fat and lazy Gwei Los
Can't make it in Europe come to Far East
Why ferry company can keep raising fares with impunity
Because it is a monopoly like bloody useless Pee and Pee
Run by same people who developed patch of land
480 Hong Kong Realty memorised all stock codes
News means nothing unless can make money from it

The operator of the CentralDiscovery Bay ferry service is in talks with transport authorities about further fare increases - less than a year after it raised prices by 9.5 per cent.

On the outlying islands, meanwhile, district councillors are upset that the government last week set out detailed recommendations for higher fares - of 5 to 6 per cent more - on six routes without consulting them.

The proposed rates were lower than the roughly 10 per cent increase requested by ferry operators and there was "little room for further reduction", Michael Ng Shi-hung, principal transport officer of the Transport Department, told an Islands District Council meeting yesterday. Ng came under fire for describing the rate of increase as "mild".

"The proposed fare rises were announced only last week, and [the government] even boasted it had already lowered the level from 10 to 6 per cent, as if it had done a great job," councillor Lai Tsz-man said.

Ferry fares for Discovery Bay last rose on May 12, following an average 7.5 per cent increase in May 2011. The one-way adult daytime ticket now costs HK$37, while children and the elderly pay HK$18.50.

More at: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...very-bay-ferry-firm-seeking-another-fare-rise

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

overheard :

"

Indeed, PAP IB zeroo... you 'overheard' that tripe from....

https://www.facebook.com/SgHardTruth
https://www.facebook.com/SgHardTruth/posts/787275491358438

...from another PAP IB site! What a surprise... NOT. :rolleyes:

You're so used to promoting PAP lies, it's hard to be honest even when it comes to the source of your material. Old habits die hard. Dogs will be dogs. :wink:

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal

In HK, when they not happy, they protest for days. In Singapore, the moment a protest steps outside HLP, it will be dealt with the severely by the full force of the police force and judiciary. And mind you, they are still part of a communist state while we are supposedly a full fledged democracy. Oh the irony.

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal