• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea negotiate Loftus-Cheek, Ivanovic extensions

12 January 2016

989576header.jpg

Guus Hiddink says Chelsea are talking to Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Branislav Ivanovic about new contracts.

Loftus-Cheek's deal expires in 2017 while Ivanovic is out of contract at the end of this season, although both are reported to be on the verge of finalising extensions.

Hiddink is only set to serve as manager at Stamford Bridge for the remainder of the campaign, having replaced Jose Mourinho in December, but the Dutchman confirmed discussions with the players, who will be coached by his successor next season, are taking place.

"I am aware in the sense that the club is talking [to players about new deal] but furthermore don't have any announcements," he told reporters.

"I am just focusing on the technical part of the short-term future."

While Ivanovic was at Chelsea for Hiddink's first spell in west London, 19-year-old midfielder Loftus-Cheek is enjoying his most prolonged spell in the first team.

Having made his debut in 2014 under Mourinho, Loftus-Cheek scored his first Chelsea goal in the FA Cup third-round win over Scunthorpe United on Sunday and Hiddink is eager to see more of him.

"We have a lot of games and I was happy with his performance. When I came in on the first day, I thought he was 22 or 23. He's a big guy but he said he's 19. Okay.

"He has a lot to learn but whenever possible he will have minutes. I think it's good to have a homegrown player and he acts mature. That's okay."

Brazilian teenage forward Kenedy has also featured fleetingly off the bench this term, Hiddink dismissing the suggestion he could leave on loan.

"We have youngsters and I know them better and I have [a] good impression of them. [Kenedy] is one of those who will, at the moment, stay until the end of season," he continued.

"We may need him or give him chances. He came in and started well but then you say it's up and down so that's why they need to play.

"They get lots of experience to practice with the experienced guys. He will stay until at least the end of the season."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lukaku back for Everton´s clash with Manchester City

12 January 2016

989558header.jpg

Romelu Lukaku will return to Everton's starting XI for Wednesday's Premier League clash with Manchester City.

The Belgium striker missed the weekend win over Dagenham and Redbridge in the FA Cup due to an ankle injury sustained against City in the first leg of their League Cup semi-final last Wednesday.

But the former Chelsea man, who has scored 19 goals in 25 appearances in all competitions this season, has been passed fit to start at the Etihad Stadium.

Everton boss Roberto Martinez told a news conference on Tuesday: "Rom trained really well yesterday so he's 100 per cent to be available.

"He feels really well from the knock he had on his ankle and the rehab has gone according to plan so he's very much clear to play."

Martinez does have other fitness concerns to address, however, with Tom Cleverley rated a 50-50 shot while Seamus Coleman and James McCarthy remain sidelined.

"We will assess Tom today, he had some general work yesterday with the medical department and it's a bit early to know if he's going to be available," said Martinez. "We don't expect it to be too long.

"Seamus Coleman, as we anticipated, is going to be out for the next 10 to 15 days.

"James has been training well, he completed a very good session yesterday. He is up to individual work before he can join the group so he's on the right path but it's too early to give a deadline."

With the sides meeting again so soon after their cup clash, the second leg of which takes place in a fortnight, Martinez accepts there will be no surprises on Wednesday.

"What doesn't change is the way we are as teams. Two teams wanting to score goals," he said.

"It will make for an open, technical game. We know what we expect, that familiarity won't play any other part."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini preparing for lengthy Kompany absence

12 January 2016

989552header.jpg

Vincent Kompany's injury nightmare at Manchester City is no closer to a conclusion after manager Manuel Pellegrini announced his captain could be sidelined until the "last part of the season".

Club captain Kompany has been restricted to eight Premier League starts for City during the current campaign due to persistent calf problems.

His latest attempt at a comeback, as a second-half substitute during the 4-1 Boxing Day win over Sunderland, was cut short after nine minutes as injury stuck once more.

Speaking ahead of his team's home match against Everton on Wednesday, Pellegrini said his staff were no closer to finding the root of Kompany's woes and tellingly listed him alongside long-term hamstring victim Samir Nasri when running through his injury absentees.

The Chilean will be without midfielder Fernandinho, one of City's most consistent performers during a patchy 2015-16, for the match, while Wilfried Bony (calf) and Eliaquim Mangala (hamstring) remain sidelined for the title challengers.

"Kompany, Mangala, Fernandinho, Nasri and Bony – those five players are injured and not fit for tomorrow's game," Pellegrini said.

"Mangala tried to work yesterday with normality but he couldn't. He had some pain still in his muscle – for him, it's best to wait a bit more.

"It's the same for Fernandinho and Bony. For Kompany and Nasri, it's longer.

"Vincent tried a lot of different things to try and find the cause of the injury so we have no update at this time."

Pellegrini does expect to welcome back influential midfield duo David Silva and Yaya Toure for the visit from Roberto Martinez's side after the pair were left out of the matchday squad for Saturday's 3-0 FA Cup win at Norwich City.

Playmaker Silva endured a lengthy ankle-injury absence earlier in the season.

"It was good to rest both of them as they're in the squad list for tomorrow," said Pellegrini, who hinted that he will shuffle his pack.

"We'll see who will be in the XI but we have to play two games so close together so we'll see.

"Silva is 100 per cent fit – maybe it's a risk for him to play [every time] Wednesday to Saturday."

Everton were 2-1 winners when the teams met a week ago in the first leg of their League Cup semi-final at Goodison Park.

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Ham striker Carroll out for a month

andycarroll-cropped_1s4itzj0vjhgq1id71eltkcvu6.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Jan 14, 2016 15:51:21

The 27-year-old forward is expected to be on the sidelines until February because of a hamstring injury sustained in midweek

West Ham have confirmed striker Andy Carroll is expected be out for a month with a hamstring injury.

The former Newcastle United and Liverpool forward sustained the blow in West Ham's 3-1 Premier League win over AFC Bournemouth on Tuesday, limping off after just 15 minutes.

And the England international, whose spell at Upton Park has been plagued by fitness problems, will now be on the sidelines until February after a scan revealed the extent of the injury.

A club statement read: "West Ham United can confirm Andy Carroll underwent a scan on his left leg on Thursday morning.

"The results show an injury to his hamstring, which is expected to keep him out of action for a month.

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Sun journalist hits back at Van Gaal after "fat man" jibe

14 January 2016

990635header.jpg

The Sun journalist Neil Custis has hit back at Louis van Gaal after the Manchester United manager called him "fat man" during the post-match news conference following Tuesday's 3-3 draw with Newcastle United.

Custis had mockingly admonished Manchester Evening News reporter Stuart Mathieson for asking about Wayne Rooney, mimicking the Dutchman's reaction to the question.

Van Gaal noticed Custis' behaviour as he was about to leave the press room and turned around to insult the journalist before eventually making his exit.

Video footage of the United manager's harsh words went viral on social media and Custis has now reacted to Van Gaal's comments.

"You are right Louis, I am fat," Custis wrote in The Sun.

"I had a knee operation four months ago that stopped me running and going to the gym. That has resulted in me putting on nearly two stone.

"But I am trying to get it all off by having a dry January and calm February and a personal trainer.

"At least I can hold my hand up to my own failings. Shame others can't."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool kiss Champions League hopes goodbye

image_1453050008_22838870.jpg

By Melissa Reddy
Jan 17, 2016 16:30:00

Jurgen Klopp has repeatedly rued his side's struggles defending set-pieces, only to see Wayne Rooney take advantage of hesitance to stun Anfield on Sunday

Manchester United had just one shot on target but that was all they needed on an ice-cold Sunday afternoon at Anfield.

It's yet another game in which Liverpool have been floored by a set-piece, with Wayne Rooney's winner coming from a corner routine following hesitance in the hosts defence.

No side in the Premier League have conceded more goals from corners, with Jurgen Klopp referencing that weakness weekly, and will no doubt be hugely frustrated after dominating long period of the game.

David de Gea was superb for United, while Liverpool - despite spending in excess of £180 million on attacking players in the past two summers - did not have enough of a threat in the final third.

The hosts were the better side for the bulk of the encounter, but United had the edge in both boxes when it mattered most.

A top-four place is probably too much to ask from the Anfield side, who'll view the cup competitions as their best chance of success this season.

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: I've had offers from home and abroad but won't rush return

candidates-to-replace-gary-neville-on-mnf-brendan-rodgers_hwoh8f0fmxc11jbya5y8bl1fm.jpg

Jan 17, 2016 11:53:10

The 42-year-old claims he has already attracted interest from clubs but will wait until the summer to return to management

Former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he has had offers from around the world to return to management but insists he will not rush a decision on his next club.

The ex-Swansea City and Watford boss left Anfield in October following a mixed start to the Premier League season and has since been linked with jobs in Qatar, as well as a return to the Liberty Stadium.

Rodgers - who led Liverpool to the brink of the title in 2013-14 - says he would consider a job either at home or abroad provided the opportunity is right.

"I've been spending time with the family, travelling. It's so intense as a manager but I wanted to make sure I take a bit of time then look to the next challenge," he told Sky's Goals on Sunday.

"Hopefully, come the summer, I can get back in.

"It's something I'd consider, I've had offers since I've been out both abroad and at home but I want to take the time to recover and ensure my motivation is as renewed as it can be.

"[I would go] wherever as long as it's exciting and the club want to work with me and work together. Wherever you go, you have to go win. Whatever country you're in, you have to want to be in with a chance of winning.

"Going close with Liverpool is something that really drives you."

Rodgers was also quizzed on the recent decision of Gary Neville to halt his work as a television pundit and take up a coaching role at Valencia in La Liga.

"I was surprised but he's been so brave in doing it," the Northern Irishman added. "To jump out of the studio - I know he coaches with England - but to be a number one is different.

"I'm sure he's found that already but it's a brave step and fair play to him. The communication aspect is maybe not easy for him but he's gone to a fantastic club and has good people around him.

"Whatever he does next, he'll be better for having been a number one."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp, Van Gaal disagree on De Gea

17 January 2016 19:08

992683header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp and Louis van Gaal had contrasting views on the performance of David de Gea in the aftermath of Manchester United's crucial 1-0 win at Liverpool on Sunday.

United captain Wayne Rooney settled a low-key encounter with a goal 12 minutes from time at Anfield, setting the record for the most goals scored for a single Premier League club in the process.

Rooney may not have had the opportunity to be the match winner if it were not for De Gea, though, with the Spain goalkeeper making fine saves from Adam Lallana and Emre Can with the scores still level.

Speaking after the match, Liverpool manager Klopp felt that De Gea was the difference between the great rivals.

"I'm not in the best place in the stadium to talk about finishing, I have to watch the game again," he said.

"I know we didn't score a goal. I couldn't even say if De Gea touched the ball or not but he is the man of the match right?"

However, Van Gaal - while praising the standards of his goalkeeper - does not feel that De Gea pulled off anything out of the ordinary and says he would expect the Spain keeper to make the saves he did.

"Everybody is saying that [he was man of the match] but so many of the balls he has not stopped, otherwise you don't need a goalkeeper," the Dutchman said.

"I think that's why he is our goalkeeper. I have to say he is always reaching a very high level so I'm very happy but I cannot say he has done a lot.

"He has stopped the balls he has to stop. Maybe that one-hand [save from a Can shot], but I think he has to stop that ball.

"I demand it also of the player, that's why he is playing for Manchester United."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Time is running out for Sturridge at Liverpool - Hamann

17 January 2016 03:18

992322header.jpg

Former Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann says time is running out for Daniel Sturridge to prove his worth at the club.

The striker has spent almost as much time in the treatment room than on the pitch in recent seasons, sustaining injury after injury.

And if the 26-year-old cannot answer doubts over his fitness, Hamann says Jurgen Klopp may be forced to sell him at the end of the season.

"Time is running out for Daniel to show that he is the striker to lead Liverpool’s attack in the future," Hamann told The Mirror.

"There is no doubting Sturridge’s quality, but I remember when I was at City that there were worries back then about his problems with injury."

Hamann's doubts over the England international's future at Anfield are compounded by Klopp's preferred style of play and demands of his players.

"Klopp needs a striker he can rely on. Not only that, he expects every single one of his players to put in a shift physically," he said.

"There have to be doubts whether Sturridge can cope physically with the system that Klopp plays.

"If he can’t, and if his fitness problems continue, then Klopp will not think twice about bringing someone else in.

"This is a big six months for Daniel.

"He has to get himself fit, play regularly and score goals."

Liverpool face rivals Manchester United on Sunday, but Sturridge will not play any part.

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

United still in title hunt, says defiant Van Gaal

17 January 2016 18:32

992671header.jpg

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester United's 1-0 victory at rivals Liverpool on Sunday can re-ignite their Premier League title challenge.

Captain Wayne Rooney netted the only goal of a scrappy encounter 12 minutes from time at Anfield to set a new record for the most goals scored for a single club in Premier League history with 176.

It was a big win for manager Van Gaal, who has faced heavy criticism over United's perceived negative style of play and inconsistency in the top flight this term.

And the Dutchman is adamant his team can take the confidence garnered from their win to mount a renewed assault on the title.

"We can do it," he answered when quizzed on United's chances of winning the league.

"This game shall give a big boost to the players, the fans and everyone in the environment of Manchester United.

"Now we have made a good start in 2016, to beat Liverpool for the second time in a row is it marvellous, it gives a big boost for the players and the fans so I hope it shall continue with winning.

"That is why we are here, to win our games and at end of the season to be in the first three positions of the league."

Rooney, who now has five goals in his past four outings in all competitions, had not scored at Anfield since January 2005.

And Van Gaal feels the goal was of particular importance to Rooney given his affinity for boyhood club Everton, having started his career at Liverpool's local rivals.

"We know Wayne Rooney has played for Everton and now plays for United so he wants to score against Liverpool, it means a lot for him," he added.

"The goal came from the first indirect corner and we ask for that as it always more dangerous.

"The ball from Mata was perfect, as was the header from Fellaini, but he didn't have the luck that Wayne does."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal relaxes Man Utd lunch rules

2443982_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Jan 20, 2016 18:30:00

The manager has decided to allow a more informal approach to meal times at Carrington, loosening his fierce grip on the team's behaviour following a request from senior players

Louis van Gaal has decided to relax his military-style regime at Manchester United somewhat, with players now being given far greater freedom at the dinner table.

The Dutchman has become notorious during his time at the club for his structured approach to gatherings, with meal times and other appointments being attended in unison at the manager’s instruction.

Van Gaal’s insistence was that players form a queue for meals and then eat together, with everyone waiting until all staff members had finished their food before leaving.

The formal setup was one of a number of points of conjecture used by critics as examples that the boss was out of touch with his first-team squad.

But Goal understands that restrictions have now been reduced around the Carrington training complex, with players arriving to eat at various times rather than as a whole group, after several senior figures raised the issue with Van Gaal during clear-the-air talks during their festive slump.

Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick and Juan Mata led the calls for players to have more say in when and what they ate for lunch at the training ground, with the Dutchman bowing to their request.

The relaxation of Van Gaal’s ‘iron fist’ could help to lighten the mood around Old Trafford, coming hot on the heels of Sunday’s crucial 1-0 victory over fierce rivals Liverpool at Anfield which lifted United into fifth place in the Premier League.

The decision to allow players greater freedom has certainly coincided with an upturn in form, with United winning three of their last four matches after going eight games without a win across November and December.

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini rules out Chile switch

19 January 2016

994071header.jpg

Whatever the future holds for Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini, returning to his native Chile to coach the national team is not on the cards.

Pellegrini's job at City is the subject of intense speculation following Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola's announcement that he will quit the German giants to pursue an opportunity in the Premier League.

Copa America-winning coach Jorge Sampaoli resigned from his post as Chile boss on Tuesday, but Pellegrini is not looking to take over.

He told Radio Cooperativa: "I hope to continue with competitive teams in Europe. I will not go back to Chile in three or four years.

"In the coming years there is no possibility of me taking the Chile job.

"I think the solution is to find coaches who are closer to the local environment."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lampard predicts Chelsea squad overhaul

20 January 2016

994221header.jpg

Chelsea legend Frank Lampard believes the reigning Premier League champions need a major squad overhaul in order to be able to challenge for top honours again.

The Stamford Bridge side finished eight points clear of Manchester City last term to claim the title, but they have been nowhere near their best form this campaign.

Guus Hiddink's men sit 14th in the league table with 25 points from 22 games, just four points clear of the relegation zone, and Lampard feels they need several new signings in order to return to the top.

"From seeing some of the games I saw when I was back in England over the Christmas period, I think they need a new injection around the team," Lampard told reporters.

"It's strange because a year ago, you're thinking, 'They've got a great squad and if they add to it they can really go.'

"Now you're thinking, 'They need to revamp, to change some players.'

"I think that will happen in the summer. I think there will be three or four or five players and positions in the team that change around."

Chelsea opted to replace Jose Mourinho with Guus Hiddink earlier this campaign in an attempt to get back on track after their underwhelming start to the season and Lampard is confident they will bounce back.

"We're not used to their current situation. I was really fortunate to be part of a really good era. A bad season was like second, third, or fourth at the most, so I think it's shocking," he added.

"Chelsea are very used to change, but what they've always had is results, so I'd like to see them get back to the top half of the table very soon. I think the club will come back.

"They're a huge club and there's obviously been issues there. You see that when they fire the manager who won the league six months before. I know a lot of people at the club. They will come back."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

´Complete striker´ Benteke has a future at Liverpool - Klopp

19 January 2016

994058header.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has labelled the out-of-favour Christian Benteke a "complete striker" and dismissed suggestions the Belgian could be allowed to leave Anfield.

Benteke has found himself out of Klopp's first-choice starting XI in recent weeks and has scored just seven goals in all competitions since his big-money move from Aston Villa before the start of the season.

However, speaking ahead of Wednesday's FA Cup third-round replay against Exeter City, Klopp hailed the quality of the 25-year-old and insisted he is not for sale.

"He needs to stay cool - of course he has a future here," said Klopp.

"We don't score enough goals, so I understand why you ask about the striker - in your mind the only striker we have. He is on the bench and that seems to be strange, but not in my opinion.

"We have to think about how we create chances. First of all we cannot hope that we can get the ball into the box and then maybe Christian will finish it.

"He always has the possibility to play, but you have to look how it fits. For example we had games with Roberto [Firmino] and Christian at number 10 and number nine. It did not work but that does not mean we can never play like this.

"To have Christian on the bench is a quality sign."

Klopp also reiterated the fact that he almost signed Benteke when he was manager of Borussia Dortmund.

"I met him, plus his agent, at Dusseldorf airport," he added.

"We saw a lot of games he played in, his technical skills, his heading and his finishing skills. From all those things he is a complete striker but you have to work for it.

"He hasn't finished his development, and we as a team haven't."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cech returns to Chelsea... to pick up his missing gloves

2443592_heroa.jpg

Jan 22, 2016 17:39:00

Adidas mistakenly delivered a new pair of mitts to Cobham ahead of Arsenal's clash with the Blues on Sunday, meaning the goalkeeper had to pay a visit to his former club

Petr Cech has made a surprise return to Chelsea's training ground ahead of Arsenal's clash with the Blues on Sunday - to pick up a pair of missing goalkeeping gloves.

The Czech Republic international will meet his former side for the third time when they visit the Emirates Stadium this weekend and stopped by to check in on his old team-mates when Adidas mistakenly sent the gloves to the wrong club.

"They [the gloves] were wrongly sent here and [Cech] came here, which was nice," Guus Hiddink revealed in his pre-match press conference.

The Dutchman joked: "We tried to hide them and make them a bit slippery but he discovered it."

Cech enjoyed victory over Chelsea at Wembley in the Community Shield but then suffered a 2-0 victory on his return to west London in the Premier League in September.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard and Costa passed fit for Arsenal clash

22 January 2016 15:12

995529header.jpg

Guus Hiddink has confirmed Eden Hazard and Diego Costa have been passed fit for Chelsea's Premier League clash with Arsenal.

Belgium playmaker Hazard has not featured for Chelsea since their 3-0 victory over Crystal Palace on January 3 because of a groin injury.

Prior to last weekend's 3-3 draw with Everton, Hiddink confirmed Hazard could feature in this Sunday's meeting at Emirates Stadium.

But the Dutchman doubts whether Hazard will be able to last the full game.

"He [Hazard] was in the team, well prepared until two days ago by the physios and then he started participating in the team," Hiddink said.

"In the last two days he was in full training. He's available.

"We have to be careful as he's fallen into injuries recently. I'm not sure whether he can play a full 90 minutes."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has warned his players to expect a "fight" from Costa - who is available despite having struggled with a bruised tibia - but Hiddink has no concerns about the Spain international's conduct.

Hiddink added: "The players themselves must bring the quality. You can help out a bit and express the ideas and the way you think to get the best out of the players.

"He's working hard, having good treatment, I don't have any complaints about his discipline."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Old Trafford is not intimidating anymore - Koeman

23 January 2016 07:45

995943header.jpg

It is no longer intimidating to play Manchester United at Old Trafford, according to Southampton manager Ronald Koeman.

Koeman's side travel to face United on Saturday, hoping to repeat their victory at Old Trafford from last season - their first at the ground in 27 years.

The Dutchman has played on the iconic field several times as a player, but he says the "fear factor" has now been lost.

"Old Trafford is not really intimidating, no," Koeman said.

"I think the Man United fans are always behind the team and it’s a fantastic place to play football.

"I had the feeling as a player to win at Old Trafford (was difficult) and the fear factor has changed because that impact came out of the kind of players they had and maybe intimidation was on a higher level than now.

"Now it’s all friendly people, nice football players and they like to give the best for the team."

Southampton sit 10th in the Premier League after 22 games, seven points behind Louis van Gaal's United.

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke, Palace and West Ham are fighting for European places - Ranieri

23 January 2016 06:02

995934header.jpg

Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri believes the likes of Stoke City, Crystal Palace and West Ham will still be fighting for European spots come the end of the season.

Those three clubs hold between 6th and 8th in the Premier League table, above clubs such as Liverpool, Everton and Chelsea.

Ranieri's side are among those fighting for the title, with Leicester sitting atop the standings alongside Arsenal.

And the Italian is positive the smaller clubs in the league can be competing in the Champions League or Europa League next season.

''This league is crazy," he said. "Tottenham, Stoke, Crystal Palace and West Ham - and I don't mention the big clubs. All these are fighting to achieve the European places.

''It is changing. Last season it began with Chelsea and ended with Chelsea. Before that it began with Manchester City and ended with Manchester City.

''This season we are fighting. It is changing not only for us but for all teams.

''I am very pleased with my players because against teams like Tottenham I didn't see it (the gap).

"The statistics say there's no gap between Tottenham, who started 10-15 years ago to build a very good solid building, and Leicester who started this season.''

Leicester host Stoke on Saturday as they look to continue their dream run in 2015-16.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger had major doubts over Cech signing

23 January 2016 01:44

995896header.jpg

Arsene Wenger revealed signing goalkeeper Petr Cech was one the hardest decisions he has had to make as Arsenal manager.

Cech joined the North Londoners after 11 years at Chelsea in a £10million deal this summer – but Wenger confessed he dithered and questioned the transfer before making the plunge.

The Frenchman says he was unsure over the fitness of the experienced Czech stopper and was worried about the mental affect it would have on the "underrated" former number one David Ospina.

"I didn’t know what kind of shape he was in physically because he hadn’t played. When I met him I was quickly reassured of his desire to do well and his motivation," Wenger said.

"I didn’t know how much he could still produce physically. He hadn’t played and was battling a drop in physical aptitude. But I knew the potential was exceptional having played against him 11 years in the Premier League.

"It was a question of physically can he still do it? It was a very, very difficult decision for me because I rate highly Ospina. I have a high opinion of him. Ospina is a keeper who, in my opinion, is underrated, especially in England.

"But [signing Cech] was maybe one of the few opportunities to say, ‘OK, this is an obvious [transfer]. If I don’t do this, it would have been a mistake I think’."

Following a nervy debut performance at home to West Ham, Cech has settled seamlessly into Arsenal first-team, forming a more resolute back-line, which has conceded just 21 goals in an unpredictable Premier League campaign.

Wenger acknowledged the importance of having a world-class goalkeeper and believes Cech inspires belief throughout his team.

"He has a calming presence, he communicates well, anticipates well, sees what is coming. He is a kind of coach," Wenger said.

"The best position to be a coach is the goalkeeper because he doesn’t move, and he sees everything. He is the camera behind the team.

"You cannot measure it. But you know one thing: you need a top-class goalkeeper. I have said many times that it is an underrated position. And you need a top-class goalkeeper to do well."

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Manchester United won't buy for the sake of it

louis-van-gaal-manchester-united_ivgpe1vf7lb41oozw13dru83g.jpg

By David Manuca
Jan 23, 2016 07:29:03

The Dutch coach is short of full-backs due to injuries, but says he will only bring in players who have a long-term future at the club

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal insists the club will not be looking at buying players just for the sake of it.

Van Gaal has hinted he may dip into the transfer market to sign a full-back following the news Ashley Young is set for a long spell on the sidelines.

Young suffered a groin injury in the 1-0 win over Liverpool and will undergo surgery meaning he could miss most of the season, joining Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo and Antonio Valencia on the sidelines.

"[Young] must have an operation and you can never tell how quickly the player might return after that," Van Gaal told reporters.

"First of all you have to see if the operation is a success, then you have to make a recovery and see if there is a reaction. It is not something that can be done in a month; it might take longer than that."

But the Dutchman insists he will not bring in a player as a short-term fix.

"I don't want to buy players for the sake of buying players," he added. "I'm here for the short term – three years – but I will always do everything for the long term.

"I only believe in long-term decisions, what is good for the club and not what is good for Louis van Gaal because he needs a victory on Saturday."

United host Southampton at Old Trafford this weekend with an eye on overhauling fourth-placed Tottenham.