• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thierry Henry reveals Pep Guardiola's plans during Barcelona training sessions

2449972_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Dec 27, 2015 10:30:00

Arsenal's all-time record goalscorer has lifted the lid on the Spaniard's coaching methods - and explains why he and his former team-mates had to run to get drinks during training

Thierry Henry has given an insight into life during training sessions under Pep Guardiola at Barcelona and has revealed that every drill was done at “an intensity of 2,000 per cent”.

Henry was signed by Frank Rijkaard for Barcelona in 2007 but won two La Liga titles and the Champions League in his two seasons under Guardiola.

And Arsenal’s record goalscorer insists Guardiola’s insistence on high-intensity sessions were key to the club’s success.

“Training sessions were never long, not even in pre-season, but everything was done at an intensity of 2,000 per cent,” Henry wrote in his column for The Sun.

“We trained the way we were expected to play, giving every drop of energy and paying so much attention to detail.

“People always go on about how good Pep’s teams are on the ball, the tricks, the flicks and the goals.

“What they don’t mention is the attention given to defending and all the work involved in getting everyone in the right place — and that was developed in training.

“You were expected to run all the time. If you had a break in training to get a drink, you had to run to the sidelines and run straight back on to the pitch.

“There was no mucking around and no room for egos. The players had to carry the goalposts on to the pitch because he wanted us to do everything as a team - and in double-quick time.

“Pep was surrounded by superstars but kept them all on their toes by challenging them every minute of every day.”

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henry insists Guardiola would dominate the Premier League

2148592_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Dec 27, 2015 13:20:00

The former Arsenal striker insists the Spaniard will arrive with a plan and will create a "lasting legacy" at any club in the Premier League

Thierry Henry believes Pep Guardiola would dominate the Premier League and would create a “lasting legacy” at any club in England.

The Spaniard has announced that he will leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season, and Manchester City are confident that the 44-year-old will become Manuel Pellegrini’s successor next summer.

Guardiola has also been linked with moves to Chelsea and Manchester United, but Henry, who won two La Liga titles and the Champions League under him at Barcelona, insists his former manager will be a success wherever he goes.

“If I was chairman of any club in the world looking to change its manager, Guardiola would be my No1 pick. No contest,” Henry wrote in his column for The Sun.

“For me, he is already one of the greatest coaches of all time. His teams don’t just win the league, they totally dominate it.

“He arrives with a plan, takes complete control of a club and puts a lasting legacy in place that survives long after he’s moved on to his next challenge.

“I was fortunate enough to be at Barcelona right at the start of Guardiola’s coaching career and was blown away by the man and his methods.

“Now I can only assume that he has become even better during the past five years at Barca and Bayern.”

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Norwich City name Ed Balls as new chairman

27 December 2015 17:13

981259header.jpg

Norwich City have announced that former Labour MP Ed Balls has become the club's new chairman.

The former shadow chancellor, who was chief economic advisor to the UK Treasury for seven years, takes up the role in "an unpaid capacity, alongside his ongoing academic, commercial, charitable and media activities".

Norwich's joint majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones said in a joint statement via the club's official website: "We're absolutely delighted to confirm that Ed Balls is the new chairman of Norwich City.

"His economic know-how and experience, coupled with his passion for all things Norwich City, will be a major asset for the Board and we're excited about working closely together with Ed, David McNally and the other directors in this new era for the club.

"Ed will work closely with all of us on the short, medium and long-term strategy to shape the future of this great football club."

A lifelong fan of the Premier League club, Balls described his appointment as "a great honour and a privilege".

"From the moment my dad first took me to watch City from the terraces at Carrow Road in 1973, my earliest ambition was to play for the club I loved. But the next best thing is to become chairman and do what I can off the pitch to help city succeed on the pitch," he added.

"The club's immediate priority and focus is, of course, the retention of our hard-earned Premier League status, and the hard work of my fellow directors and all of my colleagues at the club means Norwich City is in great shape on and off the pitch going into 2016."

Balls, Smith and the club's directors are due to hold a media briefing at Carrow Road on Monday.

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hiddink urges patience as Depay struggles with United expectations

27 December 2015 16:50

981250header.jpg

Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink believes Memphis Depay has struggled to make an impact at Manchester United due to the weight of expectation on him as one of the Netherlands' biggest prospects.

Depay arrived at United in a big-money move from PSV in the close-season, but has yet to show the type of form that saw him score 22 goals in last season's Eredivisie title win.

The forward has scored just twice in 14 Premier League appearances, and his woeful attempted header back to David de Gea gifted Stoke City their first in a 2-0 win over out-of-form United on Boxing Day.

Depay will come up against his former Netherlands coach Hiddink when United face Chelsea at Old Trafford on Monday.

"He's a very young guy," Hiddink said. "When he was in Holland he was one of the star players at a very young age, because there is a lack of star players who are playing already many years in their league.

"So at a young age, he was bombarded as one of big talents. Of course, he has this talent, but he is also having to confront the demands of the Premier League, which are much higher in the intensity of the game during 90 minutes.

"That's an experience that all players, not just him, have to overcome. I think they need time for that.

"Because, in principle he has this talent, but he is also giving interview saying 'I have to get used to another way of playing, the intensity of the games every three days.'

"Those guys need the cover of experienced players."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: I trust my players to respond against Bournemouth

arsene-wenger_q7ugmn2ev7zu1e79pv7stlhef.jpg

By Tom Webber
Dec 27, 2015 09:34:54

The Gunners missed the chance to move top on Saturday after a heavy defeat with Eddie Howe's side the next visitors to the Emirates

Arsene Wenger has backed Arsenal to bounce back from a heavy defeat to Southampton when they face Bournemouth on Monday.

The north-London side suffered a resounding 4-0 loss at St Mary's Stadium on Saturday, missing the chance to overtake Leicester City at the Premier League summit.

Despite the defeat, Wenger is backing his players to show their mental strength and respond with a positive result against Eddie Howe's team next time out.

"These players have fantastic spirit and they will show that in 48 hours," Wenger told reporters.

"We want to respond from disappointment. I trust my players to respond well on Monday.

"Tonight we were not good enough to win the game. We can't dwell on that too much."

Shane Long scored twice as Ronald Koeman's side surged to victory on Saturday, but Wenger felt the referee allowed the striker to get away with several fouls.

"I must say they were sharper than us in the tackles. We cannot master the referee's decisions but we can master our behaviour," he said.

"I felt we were physically not at our best. Long made the game very physical and got away with a lot.

"We had to come out and take many risks and they looked sharp on the counter-attack."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal insists he will NOT resign after Manchester United's draw with Chelsea

2460142_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Dec 28, 2015 19:50:00

The Dutchman has now gone eight games without a win but insists he will not leave his post amid heavy speculation over his future at Old Trafford

Louis van Gaal insists he will not resign following Manchester United’s goalless draw with Chelsea.

United have now gone eight games in all competitions without a win following Monday's stalemate at Old Trafford, but amid intense speculation over his future, the Dutchman has no plans to quit the club.

“On the contrary, when the players can give such a performances with this lot of pressure then it is not any reason to resign for me,” Van Gaal told BT Sport.

“Maybe the media wants that, but I shall not do that.

“I have a contract, so it’s not a question of staying, it’s a question of fulfilling my contract.”

Van Gaal also insists he can still win over the fans if his United players are showing signs of improvement.

"In my first year as a manager, it was much tougher, they were yelling every week against me, and then I won in my first year the Uefa Cup. And then the yelling was stopped," said the Dutchman.

"Here they are still applauding, not everyone, I have seen that, but the most important thing is what the players have done today, then the fans can be satisfied."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Man Utd board could turn on Van Gaal despite new beginning' - Henry

2460142_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Dec 29, 2015 12:40:00

The former Arsenal striker believes the Red Devils may have turned the corner with their 0-0 draw against Chelsea but questions recent selection decisions made by the Dutch coach

The board at Manchester United could soon turn on Louis van Gaal despite an improved performance against Chelsea, according to Thierry Henry.

The Arsenal legend felt the Red Devils proved in their performance against Guus Hiddink's side that there is a spark in their squad that could reverse their eight-match winless run.

But the former France international is concerned for Van Gaal and is unsure whether improved displays have come too late to save him from the sack in a similar fashion as to how Jose Mourinho lost his job at Chelsea.

"It's another game without winning, that's eight now, and another 0-0 draw at Old Trafford," he told Sky Sports.

"I don't think I would have ever said that in my lifetime. But there was something about them on Monday that maybe sparked something, a new beginning maybe.

"But how much was that down to Chelsea not playing well? They allowed United to be on the ball, there wasn't much pressure, they didn't have a striker, with [Eden] Hazard playing as a false No 9.

"Van Gaal said that he has the board with him. I think they better start to win football games because he will have to deal with a tricky situation, and at one time the board may find themselves dealing with the same situation the Chelsea board had not that long ago."

Henry feels the key reason for United's struggles is Van Gaal being unsure of his best team and has questioned some of the selection decisions made by the veteran Dutch coach.

"Does he know his squad? Does he know who he wants to play? At times they are a bit too rigid, too predictable, it's not the Manchester United I know.

"They were looking for goals and pace, and they got that in Anthony Martial. He scored goals, and then suddenly he's on the left, another day on the right.

"Ashley Young one day is left winger, then right back, then left back. [Marcos] Rojo starts, then suddenly he doesn't start for a month, and then he comes back.

"Daley Blind is the guy, and then suddenly he's not the guy anymore. I think he doesn't know his team, he doesn't trust guys yet."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hiddink denies lack of ambition at Chelsea

28 December 2015

981954header.jpg

Guus Hiddink insists he sees plenty of ambition in his Chelsea side, despite their unadventurous display in the 0-0 draw with Manchester United.

Louis van Gaal's side controlled proceedings at Old Trafford and twice hit the woodwork, while both Thibaut Courtois and David de Gea made crucial saves to keep the scores level.

Chelsea, three points above the relegation zone, deployed Eden Hazard as a false nine in the absence of Diego Costa, Loic Remy and Radamel Falcao and struggled to pose any kind of persistent threat on the United goal.

But Hiddink is adamant his players are full of belief as they seek to turn their dismal season so far around, telling the media: "The players have experienced a very bad half year.

"They have to lift it up and that's what we have talked about in the locker room. Everyone is convinced we couldn't go on the same path and we have shown that in the last three games.

"It's normal to see the character and desire of the players but they have shown a lot ambition in the last three games. That's what we are asking and automatically when everyone is on board hopefully then we can use the quality of the players as well.

"I would have been more worried if there was a lack of confidence or ambition but I don't see that at the moment in this team."

Speaking of his side's display at Old Trafford, he said: "Tactically it was okay, defensively we were well organised.

"We didn't have full power to hurt Man United - as everyone knows we have some problems in the striker position due to suspension and injuries so we had to think how to solve that problem.

"Hazard has done it before and he is capable of doing it because he's a very versatile player.

"I'm pleased because we had some good opportunities in the second half. Man U pressed although they didn't create a lot of chances.

"The two best chances were tremendous saves from the goalies, De Gea and Courtois. So no win but we have to consider the situation where Chelsea were and are."

Hazard complained of a number of fouls during the match and Oscar took a kick from Wayne Rooney in the closing stages, but Hiddink hopes to have both players - as well as Cesc Fabregas, who missed the game through illness - ready for the trip to Crystal Palace on Sunday.

"Fabregas has a temperature and we will see how he is the day after tomorrow. Oscar is okay and so is Hazard who also got some whacks," he added.

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

´World´s best´ Guardiola would improve Premier League, predicts Klopp

29 December 2015

982096header.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says the arrival of Pep Guardiola would improve the Premier League and make the division even more competitive.

Guardiola has been heavily linked with a move to England next term after announcing he will leave German champions Bayern Munich at the end of the season.

Manchester City are reportedly the front-runners to secure the ex-Barcelona coach's signature, while rivals Manchester United and Chelsea, without a permanent manager following the sacking of Jose Mourinho earlier this month, have also been touted as possible destinations.

Former Borussia Dortmund coach Klopp came up against Guardiola regularly in the Bundesliga and he feels the Spaniard's arrival would improve the Premier League.

"If this rumour is as well-tuned as all the other transfer rumours here then Pep will go somewhere else completely," Klopp joked with Bild.

"But if it really happens, then in comes perhaps the best coach in the world. That would make it that bit harder for all the other teams."

Klopp has made a relatively promising start to life in England with Liverpool, who ended a sequence of taking only one point from three games with victory over Leicester City at the weekend.

Ahead of a trip to struggling Sunderland on Wednesday, Klopp said: "We have had very, very great moments and games, but also a few less good results.

"But this is, for anyone who thinks a bit, completely normal. So far everything is completely fine. Clearly, things still might be a bit better but it could have been a lot worse.

"One thing is certain: Liverpool is a really cool club and it's great fun to work here."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Former Newcastle goalkeeper Srnicek dies

pavelsrnicek-cropped_my79377p0f0l19fy0kjoiwm94.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Dec 29, 2015 15:41:28

The 47-year-old suffered a cardiac arrest before Christmas but the decision was made to switch off life support. He died with his family by his side

Former Newcastle United goalkeeper Pavel Srnicek has died aged 47 following a recent cardiac arrest, his agent has confirmed.

The former Czech Republic international collapsed while jogging on December 20 and was hospitalised before spending recent days on a life support machine.

Srnicek - who represented the likes of Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham before assuming a coaching role with Sparta Prague - passed away on Tuesday.

"It is with deep sadness that I have to announce the passing of former Newcastle United player Pavel Srnicek," read a statement from agent Steve Wraith.

"Pavel suffered a cardiac arrest before the Christmas period in his home country and had been in an induced coma in hospital with his close family around his bedside.

"Despite the best medical attention the final brain scans on Monday showed irreversible damage and the decision had to be taken to switch off the life support machine.

"Pav passed away on the afternoon of Tuesday 29th December 2015 with his family by his side."

Srnicek was best remembered for his first of two spells on Tyneside, where he formed part of Kevin Keegan's 'Entertainers' side that almost won the Premier League in 1996.

The Czech also listed Banik Ostrava, Brescia and Beira-Mar among his former clubs and represented his country at the European Championships in 1996 and 2000.

Newcastle fans voiced appreciation for their former goalkeeper with 'Pavel is a Geordie' chants during the recent Premier League game with Everton after news of his health issues emerged and the club led tributes following Srnicek's passing.

"It is with immense sadness that we confirm the passing of former NUFC goalkeeper Pavel Srnicek," the club tweeted.

"Our deepest condolences go to Pavel's family, many friends, former colleagues and supporters at this very difficult time."

Former team-mate Alan Shearer said on Twitter: "So very, very sad to lose my friend and former teammate @PavelSrnicekUK My thoughts are with his family at this awful time. #NUFC #RIPPavel."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Injuries rule Sturridge & Henderson out of Liverpool's trip to West Ham

jordanhenderson-cropped_7y6cpd6dzzwu1nwttu1gyvye5.jpg

By Melissa Reddy
Jan 1, 2016 16:00:00

The England pair will miss their side's first game of the new year as the striker continues an intense fitness routine and the captain deals with pain in his heel

Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Henderson are not part of Liverpool’s travelling squad for their first fixture of 2016 away to West Ham.

Manager Jurgen Klopp has decided that Sturridge would be best served continuing his intense rehabilitation program as the club attempt to build up his strength and resistance.

Henderson, meanwhile, is still suffering from discomfort in his heel which he felt during the 1-0 victory over Sunderland on Wednesday.

The England international had to be replaced in the 61st minute, and Liverpool are assessing the problem on a day-to-day basis.

The 25-year-old’s condition is known as plantar fasciitis and is an ongoing concern. After limping off with it against Bournemouth at the start of the season, he flew to New York with club doctor Andy Massey in mid-September to visit orthopaedic specialist Dr John Cozzarelli.

On the injury, Henderson explained: “There isn't a timescale, there isn't really a cure… There is nothing set in stone for this.

"A lot of people have said to keep having cortisone injections and eventually it may just rupture and that might be the relief that is needed but no one knows. It can vary. People have been out for months after a rupture and others have been out for a week or two."

At Melwood on Friday, Klopp said: “We have to wait a little bit. It was something with the heel but it could be good for him, that’s what we all hope. Something like a final pain and then it goes in the other direction.

“Hendo is a real tough guy. Yesterday he tried and we saw it’s not perfect, so let’s change. Now we have to wait a few hours more or maybe a day or two and then we’ll know more.”

In other squad news, Joe Allen has shaken off an illness to make the trip to east London, but James Milner is still to fully recover from his calf issue. Striker Divock Origi is expected to be sidelined for around three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cahill should be fit in time, says Hiddink

gary-cahill-cropped_olk9hiaj3kfz1xihhj45qrcjn.jpg

By Omnisport
Jan 1, 2016 11:48:14

The Chelsea centre-back is battling to overcome a slight ankle injury but should be ready to take on Crystal Palace, explains the Dutchman, who is looking for his first win

Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink is hopeful that defender Gary Cahill will be fit to face Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Sunday.

Cahill is suffering with an ankle problem but Hiddink expects that he will recover in time to take on Alan Pardew's side, who are fifth in the table and 11 points better off than the Blues.

"Gary Cahill didn't train on Wednesday, which means he has a little problem," said the Dutchman, who expects Eden Hazard, Oscar and Willian to play after picking up knocks.

"He has an ankle injury - some ligaments are a bit tight - but we have several days to go, so I am not negative about him.

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Man Utd fans the best I've seen

louisvangaal-cropped_1et3u13vu04h01prdnnmukouk4.jpg

By David Manuca
Jan 1, 2016 10:32:15

The Premier League club are now eight games without a win in all competitions and their Dutch manager has praised the supporters for not turning their back on the team

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester United supporters are the best he has seen during his time in management.

The Dutchman took over at at Old Trafford ahead of the 2014-15 season but, having sealed their place in the Champions League in his first season, has seen his side struggle in the new campaign.

United were knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage in December, while they are sixth in the Premier League at the halfway point and are currently on a run of six league games without a win.

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Manchester United job could be my last

louisvangaal-cropped_8e5xo8kj7o3f1o4zlsovrzd9r.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Dec 31, 2015 18:12:21

Despite the intense speculation over his future, the Dutchman said he has no issue working under pressure, though he hinted he could retire once he leaves the post

Louis van Gaal has suggested the Manchester United job could be his last, but denied that the pressure he is experiencing at Old Trafford is the reason he may leave management behind.

Van Gaal has come under intense scrutiny on the back of a run of eight games without a win in all competitions, with the Red Devils dropping down to sixth place.

A 0-0 draw with Chelsea in which United largely dominated proceedings ended a streak of four straight defeats going into Saturday's visit of Swansea City, however.

And Van Gaal revealed he is seeing signs the team are on the right track again and brushed aside talk of the pressure he is facing, though he hinted again the United position could be the last one he will hold.

"I'm always doing my work. You have to do what you have to do," the 64-year-old told reporters.

GOAL READ MORE | Gary Neville: I SHOULDN'T be next Man Utd manager

"There are members of my staff who are coming to me and saying 'boss, how can I help you more or in another way?' I say 'you are helping me by doing the things you have to do and as well as possible'. Then I am satisfied.

"I expect that also from my players, to do the same things. This is not my first club. It may be the last club as I have said, but it is not the first club where I have had a bad period."

Asked if the pressure on him is easing, Van Gaal added: "I don't know because the pressure is also what you experience by yourself and also by the players because they have to perform in a certain time.

"They have to give everything and that's the most difficult aspect of players' function.

"In 90 minutes you have to show it and against the resistance of the opponent, under the pressure of the environment but also under the pressure that you put on yourself.

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman not panicking despite Southampton injuries

ronaldkoemangrazianopelle-cropped_1ih16ublkl5jv1o9wn6knpag5v.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Dec 31, 2015 14:38:09

The Saints boss is considering bringing a striker to Southampton during January amid injury concerns over Graziano Pelle and Jay Rodriguez

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman insists he is not panicking due to the ongoing absences of Graziano Pelle and Jay Rodriguez, but may look to sign a striker in January.

Pelle has missed Southampton's last two games with a knee injury, while Rodriguez is unlikely to be available until late January at the earliest after undergoing foot surgery in November.

The latter missed the entirety of last season due to a serious knee problem, while both forwards will definitely miss Saturday's trip to Norwich City.

And with the Saints struggling to reproduce their heights of last season, Koeman is expecting to seek attacking reinforcement in January.

"For the weekend, Cedric and Graziano will still be out," the Dutchman told reporters at his pre-match press conference on Thursday.

"And we don't have any other players back from injuries, it will be the same as we had in our last game against West Ham.

"[Rodriguez] will come back but maybe it takes two weeks more. I think it will be late January or the beginning of February when he is available to play.

"He will train earlier but he is still out of the team training sessions.

"I'm not a manager in panic because we are 12th in the table, I don't do business like this because we know our players and qualities.

"If there is something to do, it's about how recovered Pelle and Rodriguez are. These are two strikers, good players, and if we don't have them back maybe that's a question to sign a new striker.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Boer open to Swansea job

1 January 2016

983396header.jpg

Ajax coach Frank de Boer said he has had no contact from Swansea City over the vacant managerial position at the club, but hinted he would be interested if the right offer came along.

The Dutchman has been heavily linked to the Welsh club since the sacking of Garry Monk in December.

Alan Curtis took over as interim manager and Swansea are taking their time to find the right man for the job.

And De Boer, who has more than a year left on his contract at Ajax, said he could be tempted away from the Eredivisie leaders.

"First you have to see what the plan is at a club and what I and the people I would take with me could add to it," the 45-year-old said.

"The last club I was linked with was Swansea City. I have had no contact with them at this time.

"But what if these people paint me a pretty picture that they are in that category of clubs with which I could do something beautiful? Like clubs such as Tottenham and Liverpool.

"Those are the sort of clubs with which you would want to work. But the most important thing would be the feeling I get."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea used to be weak mentally - Hiddink

guushiddink-cropped_u62igfu84xrs17ssgiuy3rr54.jpg

By SW Lim
Jan 3, 2016 18:48:52

The Blues' boss believes his side's problem lay with them giving up too easily before, and believes that the remedy lies in constantly taking the initiative against opponents

Guus Hiddink inferred that Chelsea's problems were all in the mind before he took over, but believes they are on the road to recovery following Sunday's impressive 3-0 win at Crystal Palace.

Oscar, Willian and Diego Costa were all on target as the champions won on the road in the Premier League for the first time since August, moving six points clear of the bottom three in the process.

Chelsea's attacking spark scarcely flickered during the closing weeks of Jose Mourinho's reign, but Hiddink was delighted to see creative talents such as Cesc Fabregas and his goalscorers back on the front foot at Selhurst Park.

The Dutchman believes the vibrancy of the display illustrated that the quality to do well has always been present once they overcame their mental block, and urged his men to keep up their newfound attacking intent.

"When they get the ball, they know how to play. We do not need to add a lot to the quality of the players," he explained at his post-match news conference.

"They are blessed by nature with big quality but they have to know that once things are not going as they wished that we have to look for the causes.

"If a team is not doing well during a very long period then it is rather human to look for security and that is why we emphasised the good hard work tactically in a defensive way.

"That means that I don't like to see a team drop back very far to seek false security but to look forward and try to get the ball as soon as possible."

A common criticism as Mourinho's stint came to an end was that Chelsea's creative players were not fighting for the cause, and Hiddink reiterated that this is not something he will tolerate.

"The players have also started to invest in what I call the dirty work, not just the beautiful game that they can play because this league is very demanding," the 69-year-old continued.

"If you think that you can do it just on your quality, given by talent and nature, then this league is killing you."

Hiddink highlighted Oscar's efforts in these less-glamorous tasks, even if he appeared amused by the Brazil international's lack of prowess in the tackle.

"Oscar was doing what is not his big quality - he started tackling a bit," he continued. "Then they go over the top a bit in tackling. They don't know how to do it well!

"But the attitude is okay and then automatically they come and play with their quality. We have to be critical about the past half year because our defensive efficiency was very low.

"We talked about that, we did it in training. Those are not big conversations but if they have this quality and the team is well organised then they must produce.

"Then we enjoy how they can play."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pearson praises Ranieri for not tinkering at Leicester

nigelpearson-cropped_19mn4hoilxegh1c9p96tvox919.jpg

Jan 3, 2016 11:37:56

The former Foxes boss, who was replaced by the Italian, feels his managerial nous should not be underestimated in shunning his perceived 'Tinkerman' reputation
Former Leciester City manager Nigel Pearson believes Claudio Ranieri should be given 'credit' for changing little about the club's philosophy to now become Premier League title contenders.

Pearson guided Leicester from League One to the top flight and masterminded a remarkable end to last season that dragged the club off the foot of the table to safety.

While Pearson, who was sacked in June, thinks he deserves some credit for building the platform for Leicester's 2015-16 success, he praised Ranieri for making subtle tweaks and resisting the urge to make wholesale changes for the sake of it.

"[I built that team] but I'm not there any longer. It's not really my place," Pearson told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek.

"One thing that you've got to credit Ranieri for… it's very rare that you actually inherit a football club as a manager in a very positive position.

"He's taken over a team which is well along the path to being built – a team is never finished. But one of the hardest things to do when you inherit a side is get a group of players who technically fit what you're looking for.

"There are lots of facets to team-building. He inherited a side that is more than pretty good, they've proved themselves this year to be a very capable side.

"You have to give him some credit for recognising that and not doing too much with it."

Six months on from his departure from the King Power Stadium and with Leicester second in the Premier League, Pearson insists he has no hard feelings about his controversial sacking.

He said: "I don't feel angry, it's important to move on.

"Leicester continue to do exceptionally well and I can take quite a bit of pride in terms of how things have been set up."

Leicester led the Premier League, but have hit a tricky patch in recent weeks, surrendering top spot to Arsenal and going three games without a win.

Nevertheless, Pearson is backing them to secure a Champions League spot.

He said: "I don't see any reason why they can't [finish in the top four] and the reason I say that is the first half of the season would suggest they are capable in terms of how they play and the quality that they have.

"Sustaining that is always going to be the problem over the entirety of the season but we've seen enough results this year to suggest that the sides who got promoted last year are doing relatively well.

"The big guns are not having it all their own way."

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger expects Arsenal signing ´in next 10 days´

3 January 2016

984332header.jpg

Arsene Wenger is confident of securing a new signing "in the next 10 days" to bolster Arsenal's title chances.

The Premier League leaders are expected to complete a deal for Basel midfielder Mohamed Elneny in the coming days, with the Egypt international reportedly awaiting international clearance to seal a move to the Emirates Stadium.

Speaking after a 1-0 win over Newcastle United on Saturday, Wenger refused to comment in detail on his transfer plans but the Frenchman hopes to see some movement before the middle of the month.

"I don't give much away because I don't know [what's happening with transfers]," he said, as quoted by The Independent.

"I want to talk about them and hopefully we are capable of doing something in the next 10 days."

Wenger does not envisage making more than two signings during the window, however, as he expects some of Arsenal's injured players to return to action within the coming weeks.

"It's more about quality than quantity because our players will not stay out injured forever. Francis Coquelin is starting to run, Santi Cazorla will be back in mid-February, and Mikel Arteta is back now so, hopefully, if we can add one and, if needed, two maximum."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool need to change mentality - Lovren

3 January 2016

984251header.jpg

Dejan Lovren has issued a rallying call to his Liverpool team-mates to change their mentality and show more fighting spirit following a limp display in the 2-0 setback at West Ham.

Boss Jurgen Klopp labelled it "a day for being angry" after goals from Michail Antonio and former Liverpool striker Andy Carroll condemned the Merseyside club to defeat at Upton Park on Saturday.

Klopp's tenure to date has included stunning highs – beating Manchester City and Chelsea on the road – and crushing lows – losses at struggling Newcastle United, Watford and West Ham.

Lovren is well aware of the need to become more consistent.

"We definitely need to change our mentality and we need to keep a better run of games and to fight more," the defender told Liverpool's official website.

"We are disappointed. It wasn't the best performance from us and we need to be angry with ourselves. "

Next up for Klopp's men is a League Cup semi-final first leg at Stoke City on Tuesday, with Lovren keen for a response.

He added: "I don't know the reasons why but we need to step up quickly from this because we don't have time to think about it now. We have the game with Stoke on Tuesday.

"We have a game in the cup and it's a big chance for us to get to the final.

"So we need to stay calm and we'll start to prepare for the Stoke game and try to be in the final."