• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Crystal Palace v Arsenal: Wenger expecting a response

14 August 2015 13:00

893176header.jpg

Arsenal's surprise opening-day defeat to West Ham will inspire them to bounce back against Crystal Palace, Arsene Wenger believes.

Wenger's side were beaten 2-0 at the Emirates Stadium last Sunday, as their expected tilt at the Premier League title got off to an underwhelming start.

The Frenchman remains relaxed, though, and feels the disappointment of losing to West Ham should lead to a response at Selhurst Park on Sunday.

"We always respond well but a defeat is never a blessing," Wenger said. "It always hurts.

"We have analysed what happened and have not to go overboard, but that shouldn't take away our belief and potential.

"We were disappointed with the result and performance. When you want a strong season the way you respond to disappointment [is important] so we focus on our next game and prepare for that.

"Palace have good offensive potential, are strong defensively [and have] played together for a long time. We know every Premier League game can be a tough one so we prepare for that."

Wenger also confirmed on Friday that Alexis Sanchez is ready to start the game following his extended break after the Copa America, and Hector Bellerin is also fit.

However, Jack Wilshere (ankle) and Danny Welbeck (knee) remain sidelined.

In contrast to Arsenal, Alan Pardew's Palace enjoyed a winning start to the new season as they spoiled Norwich City's Premier League return with a 3-1 success at Carrow Road.

And Pardew - who continues to be without Marouane Chamakh (hamstring) - is upbeat about his team's chances of causing an upset this weekend.

"It's difficult to stop them [playing their way], but we need to play our game," he said.

"Generally our performance at Norwich was below our best. We want more control in games this year, which will be interesting for our fans and for the media.

"We want to wrestle control from Arsenal. It will make a different kind of statement if we were to beat them.

"We are looking forward to game, we're in good shape. Everybody is hustling for positions."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wilshere injury not as bad as first feared - Wenger

14 August 2015 10:49

893131header.jpg

Arsene Wenger believes Jack Wilshere could make his recovery from a hairline fracture to his left fibula within three to four weeks.

The England midfielder picked up the injury in a collision in training, and the initial prognosis was that he would miss "several weeks".

It is the latest in a long line of problems for Wilshere, who has been plagued by fitness concerns over the past few years.

But in a media conference on Friday, Wenger said: "Jack is back in training but I thought at the start it will be six to eight weeks but it could be three to four so that is positive news.

"I always bring him back when he says he is ready and when the fitness coaches say he has the quantity of work behind.

"You come back to the relationship with your fitness and medical people that is confirmed by what I see in training.

"Maybe when he was younger we overplayed him because he was such a good player but now we are cautious with him."

Wenger also confirmed that Alexis Sanchez is fit and ready to play at Crystal Palace on Sunday after a substitute's appearance against West Ham last weekend, but Danny Welbeck's knee problem will see him sidelined until at least September.

"Alexis is fit and did good work during the week and is available for selection," Wenger added.

"Compared to last week's game we haven't lost anybody. [Hector] Bellerin is back available again and other injuries like Welbeck, Wilshere are not back.

"Welbeck is not close because he has not started full training so I would say at least three weeks from today."

Last weekend's 2-0 defeat to West Ham led some to suggest Wenger needs to further add to his squad before the transfer window closes, but for now the Frenchman is focusing on bouncing back in Sunday's trip to Crystal Palace.

"We were as open before that result as after," he said. "We are working hard and focused on what can strengthen our squad.

"The availability is not big. Now it is important we focus on our game on Sunday."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

´Miraculous´ Anita fit to play Swansea

14 August 2015 06:00

893068header.jpg

Newcastle United midfielder Vurnon Anita has undergone a "miraculous recovery" after being passed fit to play against Swansea City.

Anita was stretchered off in Newcastle's Premier League opener against Southampton after falling heavily on his back but the Dutchman proved his fitness by training on Wednesday.

Newcastle assistant coach Paul Simpson initially joked about Anita's recuperation before confirming there had been genuine concern at St James' Park that the 26-year-old midfielder would have to miss Saturday's trip to Wales.

"He's had a little bit of grief about that because it's been a proper miraculous recovery," Simpson told nufcTV.

"Stretchered off on Sunday, and fit to train on Wednesday.

"It was a real concern at the time because he took a really heavy, awkward landing in his fall. I'm going to have to give credit to the medical team – they've laid their magic hands on him and he's made a really good recovery.

"He joined in training – hopefully there'll be no reaction from that, and we'll have a clean bill of health going into the Swansea fixture."

Up until being substituted in the 68th minute against Southampton, Anita had been one of Newcastle's better players alongside Jack Colback in defensive midfield, as Steve McClaren's side earned a 2-2 draw.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ake pens new Chelsea deal, joins Watford on loan

14 August 2015 18:21

893338header.jpg

Chelsea have tied Nathan Ake down to a new five-year contract before sending the defender on loan to Watford.

The centre-back moved to Stamford Bridge as a 15-year-old and has featured on 12 occasions for the club, including playing in the UEFA Champions League and Europa League.

Ake, who spent a month on loan at Championship side Reading last month, has now committed his future to the Premier League champions.

The 20-year-old will continue his development at Vicarage Road, though, having agreed to join Watford on a season-long loan.

Watford, promoted from the Championship last term, have been busy during the transfer window with the likes of Valon Behrami, Miguel Britos and Jose Holebas among those to have joined Quique Sanchez Flores' side.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bruce: Livermore failed drugs test after family tragedy

14 August 2015 13:12

893179header.jpg

Hull City manager Steve Bruce has shed light on Jake Livermore's failed drugs test, revealing that the midfielder was struggling to deal with the death of his baby.

Livermore tested positive for cocaine back in May, leading to a suspension from the Football Association (FA), with Hull due to find out the length of his ban by the end of this month.

Earlier this week, reports in the British media revealed that Livermore's positive test came soon after the loss of his young child in May 2014, which was confirmed by Bruce on Friday.

"It's unfortunate, and I'm sure Jake and his family would probably like to keep the findings [secret]," he told BBC Radio Humberside.

"But obviously it's leaked into the public. Of course we were aware of it because it happened just after the [FA] Cup final last year.

"The tragedy happened where he unfortunately lost his baby, which we were aware of at the time and obviously Jake has kept all the problems that he has to himself."

Bruce also stated that Livermore's personal circumstances were "without question" a mitigating factor in his FA hearing.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

1785582_thumb.jpg

West Ham 1-2 Leicester City: Payet strike not enough as Foxes win again
Goals from Shinji Okazaki and Riyad Mahrez ensured that the visitors made it two wins from two at the start of the new season, with Adrian sent off for the Hammers

watfordwestbrom-cropped_1dwzih60v99ft17za4rnku5dtu.jpg

Watford 0-0 West Brom: Berahino misses sitter as Rondon makes debut
The Hornets and the Baggies played out a scoreless draw at Vicarage Road, with Saido Berahino spurning an excellent chance to give his side all three points

1785792_thumb.jpg

Swansea City 2-0 Newcastle United: Gomis & Ayew on target again as Janmaat sees red
The attacking duo, who were on the scoresheet in the Swans' opening-weekend draw with Chelsea, struck again to claim all three points for Garry Monk's side

1785812_thumb.jpg

Sunderland 1-3 Norwich City: Impressive Canaries turn over Advocaat's men
Dick Advocaat's team were beaten for the second time in a row as Steven Whittaker, Russell Martin and Nathan Redmond ensured the visitors took the three points

1785942_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 2-2 Stoke City: Spurs squander two-goal lead
Mauricio Pochettino's side looked to be heading for a comfortable victory but have to wait for their first win of the season after a shock second half turnaround

1784972_thumb.jpg

Southampton 0-3 Everton: Lukaku sweeps Saints aside
The Belgian struck twice and Ross Barkley completed the scoring as Roberto Martinez's side put in an exceptional first half performance away from home

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

1790662_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 3-0 Chelsea: Mourinho's champions crushed by Aguero & Co.
The Blues were rarely in the same league as their hosts at the Etihad Stadium, Sergio Aguero setting the tone before Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho's second-half goals

1789562_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 1-2 Arsenal: Delaney own goal gets Gunners up and running
The Gunners recovered from their opening-day defeat to pick up maximum points against Alan Pardew's side at Selhurst Park

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

City 'always' dominate Chelsea - Pellegrini

manuel-pellegrini-manchester-city_13y44ei2oknf41wvxcsp0hnuj6.jpg

Aug 16, 2015 19:01:17

The Chilean head coach was eager to rub salt into Chelsea's wounds after the Blues' title tilt took an early season blip at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini said his side “always dominate” Chelsea when the two sides meet after sealing an emphatic 3-0 victory over the defending champions.

Goals from Sergio Aguero, Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho secured the bumper win at the Etihad Stadium as City moved five points clear of their title rivals.

After watching his team condemn the Blues to their worst start to a Premier League season for 17 years, Pellegrini insisted his side are consistently better when the heavyweights come head to head.

“Two things are the most pleasing to me about this match,” the Chilean coach told reporters.

“Number one to score three goals. In the first half we played really well, just Asmir Begoivc put in a great performance and we didn't score more.

"Second it was important to get a clean sheet. To win 3-0 in two games, one against the champions, we are just starting the season but it’s important to play in the way we did today.

"We always dominate Chelsea. Maybe we draw against them last year and before we lost but always we dominate Chelsea. Today we made the complete work."

Despite speculation over his future at the Etihad at the end of last season, Pellegrini recently signed a contract extension and was delighted with his side's complete performance.

"I am very proud of this team because we have had a lot of criticism, but we are always the highest-scoring team," he told Sky Sports.

"We have won two titles and last year we finished in second place and I continue playing this side. This is the side fans deserve.

"The first half we played really well and it was down to [Chelsea goalkeeper Asmir] Begovic that we didn't score more, but it was important to get a clean sheet, and to play in the way we did, especially against the champions.

"I think we always dominate against Chelsea, but we didn't give them any chances on the counter attack and we made complete work of our chances."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Substituted Terry was NOT injured

1790232_heroa.jpg

Aug 16, 2015 18:20:00

The Chelsea skipper was hauled off for the first time ever under the Portuguese boss, taken off at half-time, but 'the Special One' says that it was a purely tactical decision

Jose Mourinho says that John Terry was not carrying an injury when he hauled off the captain at half-time of Chelsea's 3-0 defeat by Manchester City, insisting that it was a tactical switch.

The veteran centre-back was replaced by Kurt Zouma with the Blues a goal down and the champions went on to concede twice more as Chelsea made their worst start to a Premier League season in 17 years.

"John Terry [had no injury]. It was just a decision. I know that Kurt Zouma is the fastest defender Chelsea have," the Portuguese told Sky Sports.

"He is a player of my total trust. With me he was never substituted but, with other managers, he was not even playing. Some people thought his career was over. If anyone has the free mind to make this decision, I am the one because I'm the one who gave him the chance to be what he is: a fantastic player and captain.

"I left him out because, tactically, I had to make a change. Sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong but I think I was right. We controlled the counterattack completely afterwards. My decision was proven right.

"John is Chelsea captain, for sure, and a player with my entire confidence, for sure."

GOALOPTA REVIEW All the stats from Manchester City 3-0 Chelsea

Mourinho was also of the opinion that Chelsea had been the better side in the second off at the Etihad Stadium and felt that both Fernandinho and Yaya Toure should have been sent off.

"The best team in the first half won the game," he remarked, "[but] the best team in the second half was Chelsea for sure. We had a difficult first half, we didn't create a lot and our goalkeeper made a few important saves.

"Second half, everything was different. If the 1-0 was a doubtful result at minute 70, 3-0 is completely fake. At 1-0 Chelsea were the best team for the whole second half.

"They make a change because they feel 1-0 is in danger and we concede a second goal. If 1-1 a different story, their team is in trouble."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pardew incensed as Arsenal's Coquelin escapes red card

alanpardew-cropped_yg1qo4vblgl713iystwsxvn4h.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Aug 16, 2015 16:51:36

The French midfielder was substituted immediately after a warning from referee Lee Mason that he would be dismissed for one more foul but the Crystal Palace boss was shocked

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has criticised referee Lee Mason for not sending off Arsenal midfielder Francis Coquelin for he perceived to be persistent fouling in the Gunners' 2-1 win at Selhurst Park.

Coquelin was booked late in the first half of Sunday's Premier League encounter and was perhaps fortunate not to get another yellow before the break, Mason giving the Frenchman the benefit of the doubt following a foul on Wilfried Zaha.

Another challenge after the restart also brought a warning from the official and led to Arsene Wenger withdrawing the 24-year-old as a precaution.

Pardew was incensed by Mason's decision not to issue a second booking, a decision that could have seen a different result.

He told reporters: "I said to Lee Mason: 'Listen. That tackle before half-time is not a sending off at that point but that's his last chance, you know that.'

"He then makes the foul and he [should be] off at that point. Arsene Wenger knew that and substituted him straight away. It's a decision Lee Mason needs to be braver on."

Wenger disagreed with his counterpart but felt that he was left with no choice but to withdraw the midfielder.

The Arsenal boss remarked: "I felt he was not fortunate. I would like to see that again but, in the end, the pressure created by the crowd meant I took him off.

"When you are 2-1 up and he is playing quite well, that's difficult. It's a sensitive decision."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bilic rues disappointing first-half performance

slavenbilic-cropped_1jlpcgj71xoq318wlbxwq1ls54.jpg

By Dom Farrell
Aug 16, 2015 09:54:44

The West Ham boss accepted that their below-par display in the opening 45 minutes sealed their fate and admitted that referee Anthony Taylor was right to dismiss goalkeeper Adrian

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic blamed a lacklustre first-half performance for Saturday's 2-1 defeat at home to Leicester City.

Bilic's men were unable to repeat the form that secured a surprise 2-0 opening-day win at Arsenal, as Shinji Okazaki and Riyad Mahrez were on target to give Leicester the advantage before the break.

Dimitri Payet finished emphatically to halve the deficit after 55 minutes, but Bilic felt his players left themselves with too much to do in the second half.

"It is a bad result of course after a good start," he told BBC Sport.

"We didn't play good enough in the first half. We started well, but after that we were second best.

"We lost the game in the first half. Two-nil down is very difficult to come back from. We are very disappointed."

To compound West Ham's woes, goalkeeper Adrian was sent off in stoppage time after coming for a corner and catching Jamie Vardy with a dangerous, studs-up challenge.

Bilic accepted that referee Anthony Taylor made the right call, but insisted there was no malice on Adrian's part – the two players having clashed early on in the match, when Vardy was booked after 11 minutes.

"Initially I thought it was not a red card, but then I saw the replay and it is dangerous play," Bilic added.

"It was obvious Adrian didn't mean to cause harm. I am more than sure it was not deliberate. He was just following the ball and was unlucky."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Tired' Kane still not up to speed, admits Pochettino

harrykanecropped_wn4e4a852kk718nwfj1knx2qa.jpg

By Peter Thompson
Aug 16, 2015 08:33:02

The Spurs boss admitted the star striker needs more time before he will regain his form and fitness, while also claiming they are still trying to bring more players in this summer

Mauricio Pochettino revealed that he substituted Harry Kane in Tottenham's draw with Stoke City because the striker was tired and admitted they are still in the market for more players.

Kane was replaced by Erik Lamela after 64 minutes with Spurs leading 2-0 at White Hart Lane and could only watch as Stoke fought back to salvage a point courtesy of Marko Arnautovic's penalty and a Mame Biram Diouf header.

Tottenham head coach Pochettino defended his decision to bring Kane off, stating that the striker's participation in the European Under-21 championship for England has taken its toll.

"He was tired," said the former Southampton boss. "He came later into pre-season but this is normal. He needs time.

"Last season we spoke a lot about Harry Kane and the consequence [of playing for England Under-21s] you can see now. At 2-0 after 65-70 minutes I thought that was enough for him. Don't take risks with his body."

Clinton N'Jie was in the stands to watch his new Tottenham team-mates on Saturday after completing his move from Lyon shortly before kick-off.

Pochettino stated his intention to add more new faces following the arrival of the Cameroon international, with Spurs short of attacking options following Roberto Soldado's switch to Villarreal on Friday.

"N'Jie can play in different positions. Centrally? He can play there but I think we need another centre forward," added the Argentinian.

"We need to add some more players to the squad but don't worry, I think today we deserved to win - it wasn't a problem about the strikers."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Chelsea have the 'moral right' to buy in the transfer window

hd-jose-mourinho-chelsea_16299w0mem8ku1tqz3f0ior57g.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Aug 16, 2015 10:34:54

The Portuguese believes that, due to competitive nature of the Premier League and their financial state, the defending champions are well within their rights to invest heavily

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has claimed that the Blues have the "moral right" to spend big in the transfer window, due to the strength in depth in the Premier League.

The Premier League champions have brought Asmir Begovic and Falcao into the club this summer, but have also lost the likes of Didier Drogba, Petr Cech and Ryan Bertrand.

And Mourinho believes that Chelsea are within their rights to spend heavily before the transfer window closes and moved to remind people that the Blues are in an excellent financial position after selling the likes of Kakuta, Romeu and David Luiz in recent times.

"In the Premier League if you win the title, how many teams are able to react against that? A lot of them can react," Mourinho said.

"You can go to Germany, how many teams can really react against Bayern Munich? In France, how many teams can react against Paris St-Germain’s power?

"Here, Man City won [in 2014] and Chelsea was not happy, Man United was not happy, Arsenal was not happy and Liverpool was not happy. Chelsea [brought in] Diego Costa, Fabregas, Courtois. Arsenal - Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil.

"This season Chelsea are champions; Liverpool and Man United bought. Arsenal, Petr Cech. People react. Man City, the first thing they did in the summer was Sterling.

"[Chelsea's] board has worked so well over the years in making money with sales that if somebody has the right - the moral right - to do that, then I say that Chelsea is one of them.

"You sell [Gael] Kakuta to Sevilla for a few million, you sell [Oriol] Romeu to Southampton for some more millions. You sell another player to another club for £5m.

"Even then you are not speaking about David Luiz, Felipe Luis. If one day Chelsea wants to make a very important buy Chelsea has economical conditions for that and also moral conditions for that."

Meanwhile, Mourinho hit out at Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger after he was asked whether he was surprised by the fact that City had handed a new contract to manager Manuel Pellegrini, stating: "Why? Some other clubs are disappointed for 15 years and the manager is the same."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rahman´s Chelsea move confirmed

16 August 2015 19:13

894425header.jpg

Ghana international left-back Baba Rahman has signed for Chelsea after the Premier League champions agreed an undisclosed fee with Augsburg.

Reports earlier this week suggested a deal had been settled on for Rahman's transfer and the Bundesliga side announced his exit on Sunday.

Augsburg sporting director Stefan Reuter said: "Baba Rahman has developed with us tremendously and made a great leap.

"It's not just an award for his achievements, but also for our work, if an international giant like Chelsea are interested in signing him.

"We wish him well in England."

Chelsea subsequently confirmed the addition of the 21-year-old, who can also play in midfield or on the wing, to Jose Mourinho's squad.

"'I am very happy to sign for Chelsea, one of the biggest clubs in the world," Rahman told his new club's official website.

"I can't wait to train with my new team-mates and am very much looking forward to working with them and Mr Mourinho."

Rahman moved to Augsburg from Greuther Furth at the start of 2014-15, and became a regular choice in the side, making 31 Bundesliga appearances.

He comes in as a replacement for Filipe Luis, who Chelsea sold back to Atletico Madrid earlier in the transfer window, and to provide competition at left-back to Cesar Azpilicueta.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho welcomes defensive reinforcement after City drubbing

16 August 2015

894477header.jpg

Jose Mourinho says the arrival of Baba Rahman will increase competition in Chelsea's defence following a humbling 3-0 defeat at Manchester City.

The Portuguese was critical of his defenders' first-half performance in the clash at the Etihad Stadium, even resorting to substituting John Terry for the first time in the Premier League ahead of the second period.

Asked whether it was his the worst half of football he had seen from his side, Mourinho commented: "Defensively? I don't know. But we were defensively poor in the first half, that's clear."

News of Rahman's arrival from Augsburg for an undisclosed fee broke shortly after full-time and Mourinho welcomed a timely boost to his defensive ranks.

"It's important because he is a left-back and he can compete with [Cesar] Azpilicueta," said the Chelsea manager. "At the same time, by being a left-back, Azpilicueta can compete with [Branislav] Ivanovic for the right-back position.

"This player replaces Filipe Luis in the balance of the squad. He is a player that we need for that balance."

Despite berating his side's first-half showing, Mourinho - who suggested City should have seen Fernandinho and Yaya Toure sent off in separate incidents - believes Chelsea's display in the second 45 minutes merited some reward.

"In the first half the best team was winning, in the second half the best team was Chelsea. It is a fake result," he added. "They were the best team in the first half - they controlled the game, they created chances.

"We were very comfortable with the ball, but defensively we were quite fragile.

"In the second half I think everything changed. We brought our defensive line to the midfield line, we pressed them up and had control of the game.

"We created chances, we had lots of space in midfield to play and they couldn't cope with that.

"I'm nobody to analyse the opposite manager's work, but I don't think anybody will misunderstand me if I say he did very well because he felt the result in danger [and made the right substitutions].

"We were punished by our mistakes in the second and third goal and we couldn't capitalise on the good second half we did."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

´Leave or play juniors´ - Rodgers warns Balotelli

17 August 2015 04:39

894662header.jpg

If Mario Balotelli wants to play senior football this season then he must find another club, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has warned.

Balotelli - along with Fabio Borini and Jose Enrique - has been told he is surplus to requirements at Anfield and Rodgers has insisted he will not change his mind after the controversial Italian striker's poor first season in the Premier League.

The unwanted trio of players have been told to train with Liverpool's youth team, prompting Jose Enrique to claim last week that Rodgers has "alienated" them.

But Rodgers shifted the blame right back on the players on Sunday, arguing Liverpool will not stand in the way of a transfer.

"He [Balotelli] clearly knows his situation and where he's at," Rodgers said.

"There's nothing to add. All of the players understand where they're at.

"My job is to create the best possible environment for the team to succeed. That's what I've always done. So I'm not going to speak about Mario when I can speak about another 25 players."

Balotelli scored just one goal in 16 Premier League appearances last term, Enrique only played four matches, while Borini has effectively been irrelevant at Anfield since he arrived for the 2012-13 season.

Borini has been linked with another loan stint at Sunderland, where he spent the 2013-14 campaign, while West Brom are reportedly interested in Jose Enrique.

Sampdoria have been the most vocal suitors for Balotelli, although the Serie A club have indicated they are put off by the 25-year-old forward's price tag.

But Rodgers reckons a transfer will simply come down to what Balotelli wants to do.

"I'll always treat individuals with respect and try to make sure they understand the situation, where they're at - it's then their choice," the Northern Irishman said.

"If the manager and the club give a player a situation, if they really want to play, I'm sure they'll find a solution. If they don't, then at least they know where they stand."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool 1 Bournemouth 0: Benteke opens account with controversial strike

17 August 2015 22:56

895030header.jpg

A controversial Christian Benteke goal got Liverpool off to a winning start at home as they triumphed 1-0 over Bournemouth at Anfield on Monday.

The Belgian opened his account for the Merseyside outfit when he latched onto the end of a Jordan Henderson cross after 26 minutes, sealing Liverpool's second Premier League win in as many matches.

However, starting from an offside position, Philippe Coutinho had made an unsuccessful bid to connect with the ball before it reached Benteke, which appeared to influence the decision-making of Bournemouth goalkeeper Artur Boruc.

Under new rules introduced for the 2015-16 season, Coutinho should have been flagged for offside, but the goal was allowed to stand.

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe, who saw a Tommy Elphick effort disallowed after five minutes, will be encouraged by how his team responded in the second half, though.

After Matt Ritchie had found a post with a powerful drive, Eunan O'Kane also went close, but the home side held on to join Leicester City and the two Manchester clubs as the Premier League's only sides to have taken maximum points from their opening two fixtures.

Liverpool were unchanged from their opening-weekend victory at Stoke City, but it was Bournemouth – who brought Max Gradel and O'Kane in for Marc Pugh and Dan Gosling – who looked to have taken the lead after five minutes.

Elphick rose above Dejan Lovren to head home from a corner, but the Bournemouth captain was deemed to have impeded the Croatian defender in climbing for the ball, prompting referee Craig Pawson to award Liverpool a free-kick.

Bournemouth felt hard done by but did not look overawed by the occasion on their first Premier League away fixture, and Liverpool – despite dominating possession – were struggling to carve out any clear-cut opportunities.

That was until Benteke met Henderson's left-wing delivery to score at the far post, although Coutinho could count himself lucky not to have thwarted the move with his own attempt to convert.

Benteke's goal came after a spell of Liverpool pressure and the hosts continued to threaten, with Henderson fizzing a wonderful first-time effort agonisingly over moments later.

After a quiet start, Liverpool had found their stride, and Coutinho should have done better when he guided the ball well wide of the left-hand post from 12 yards two minutes from the interval.

James Milner failed to get a clean connection on a Jordon Ibe cross early in the second half, sending the ball trickling wide, and – after Liverpool captain Henderson had left the field to be replaced by Emre Can – Bournemouth started to look capable of finding an equaliser.

Ritchie rifled a fierce strike against the outside of the right-hand upright, before O'Kane found the side-netting from a tight angle.

However, Liverpool weathered that storm to hold out for the full three points, just failing to add further gloss on the victory as Benteke hit the crossbar from close range in stoppage time

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton boss Martinez urges trust in Kenwright

17 August 2015 09:09

894680header.jpg

Roberto Martinez has sympathy with Everton supporters' frustration with the club's lack of spending in the transfer market, but urged fans to trust chairman Bill Kenwright.

So far in the current transfer window Everton have only signed Tom Cleverley and Gerard Deulofeu, while teenager Mason Holgate has also arrived from Barnsley.

During Saturday's 3-0 win at Southampton a plane flew over the St Mary's Stadium carrying a banner that read 'Kenwright & Co #Timetogo'.

Martinez says the fans' displeasure is understandable in the modern game, but paid tribute to "incredible chairman" Kenwright.

"I would be the same if I was watching a sport channel 24 hours a day and are just gauging my team by the amount of names that come and the amount of numbers they show," Martinez said.

"Remember every window I have been at Everton we have got stronger and we will carry on in the same way.

"There needs to be a level of trust. We have an incredible chairman, all he has is Everton at heart.

"Maybe we don't have a commercial budget or a Champions League budget but we are a big club and it's important we keep growing from season to season."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal has confidence in under-fire Rooney

17 August 2015 15:31

894806header.jpg

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says he has no worries over Wayne Rooney's ability to lead the line this season, reaffirming his confidence in the attacking options at his disposal.

Van Gaal's men have started the season solidly if unspectacularly - claiming back-to-back 1-0 wins over Tottenham and Aston Villa - and Rooney was largely anonymous at Villa Park on Friday as Adnan Januzaj claimed the winner.

With Javier Hernandez and James Wilson providing competition for the Old Trafford captain, Van Gaal reiterated his belief in his strikers, with two weeks remaining until the end of the transfer window.

"I think all the media has written for a year that I have to put him in as a striker," he told a news conference ahead of United's UEFA Champions League clash with Club Brugge.

"So after two matches you are already doubting your own opinion. I cannot understand that.

"I always have confidence in my players but we don't have only Wayne in the strikers, we have Adnan Januzaj, he played upfront in the USA and he has shown he can do that.

"We also have Chicharito, [James] Wilson, so I don't think we lack strikers. Maybe you can ask the board of Manchester United, if you are the coach or the manager. Then you can discuss it with your staff."

In a prickly media briefing, Van Gaal stated he would not answer questions on De Gea - the goalkeeper having been out of action due to his state of mind amid reports of a move to Real Madrid.

The former Netherlands boss also defended his limited use of Januzaj last season, the Belgian having been a rare bright spot in predecessor David Moyes' brief tenure.

"Adnan has eight starts last season, 14 as a substitute so saying he didn't have any chances is not true in my opinion," he added.

"I want to stipulate that because 'a lot of people [thinking he was underused]' is not a good argument.

"He had to compete last season with 24 players, he is 20 years old. The characteristics of a young player is that he's not consistent and he has to show that.

"Maybe he can show that this season. At a club like Manchester United you never have a guarantee in your XI - he knows that and all players know that.

"You can say that he was the best player and he has to have a position - he is very pleased you say that - but it is easy to say that without responsibility."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Swansea bag Biabi from Falkirk

17 August 2015 16:26

894838header.jpg

Swansea City have completed the signing of Scotland youth international Botti Biabi from Falkirk for an undisclosed fee.

The 19-year-old arrives at the Liberty Stadium on a three-year contract having made 32 appearances for Falkirk, including coming off the bench as the club lost last season's Scottish Cup final to Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Biabi becomes the third man to make the switch from Falkirk to Swansea since the start of 2014, joining Jay Fulton and Stephen Kingsley in heading to south Wales.

"I am excited to join because this is a big club," Biabi told the club's official website. "Obviously Stephen and Jay arrived here from Falkirk, so that will help me settle into the club.

"I've spoken to them both and they've made feel very welcome.

"I've seen Jay play in big games for the first team in the Premier League and cup, and I would like to follow in their footsteps."

Falkirk, meanwhile, have secured the return of Lee Miller on a short-term deal.